PDA

View Full Version : Pyeongchang is awarded 2018 Winter Olympics

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:30 PM
The South Korean city of Pyeongchang has been awarded the 2018 Winter Olympics, taking the Games to a new territory in Asia after failing in two previous attempts.

Pyeongchang defeated rivals Munich and Annecy, France, on Wednesday in the first round of a secret ballot of the International Olympic Committee.

The Koreans had lost narrowly in previous bids for the 2010 and 2014 Olympics.

Pyeongchang will be the first city in Asia outside Japan to host the Winter Games. Japan held the Games in Sapporo in 1972 and Nagano in 1998.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/story/2011/07/06/sp-ioc-oly-2018.html

Bismarck.
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:49 PM
:lol: God, I read the title as Pyongyang at first, before I remembered that they hadn't put in a bid and SK had.

From a purely selfish point of view I'm disappointed because of the time difference for me here in the UK which would've been reduced in either France or Germany (obvs) but given that the BBC may not have rights to broadcast the Games in 2018, I'm not sure what the situation will be anyway. Congrats South Korea, though!

CillyUltra
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Vote: Pyeongchang 63, Munich 25, Annecy 7

Huge blow for Munich, but expected. Germans are useless when it comes to Olympic hardball politics and dealmaking. :lol: In 2018 there will be 82 years without Winter Games and 46 years without Olympic Games at all in Germany. :help: That's devastating for one of the leading countries in Olympic sports, particular winter sports. At least "we" will get the IOC presidency for sure now. :rolleyes:

Besides this, a decision that fits perfectly into IOC/FIFA/WTA's strategy of profit-maximizing and total commercialization. They don't give a shit to something like atmosphere and traditions. They will pay the price sooner or later.

Michael!
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:59 PM
25 votes for Munich, horrible :spit:
But winter games in SouthKorea, all the events they had where shit so far, just remember the Biathlon WC :hysteric:
anyway, people there are nice for sure but they donīt really have a clue about wintersports, letīs hope for the best and letīs hope that Germany is able to get the games anytime soon :o

Specter
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Vote: Pyeongchang 63, Munich 25, Annecy 7

Huge blow for Munich, but expected. Germans are useless when it comes to Olympic hardball politics and dealmaking. :lol: In 2018 there will be 82 years without Winter Games and 46 years without Olympic Games at all in Germany. :help: That's devastating for one of the leading countries in Olympic sports, particular winter sports. At least "we" will get the IOC presidency for sure now. :rolleyes:

Besides this, a decision that fits perfectly into IOC/FIFA/WTA's strategy of profit-maximizing and total commercialization. They don't give a shit to something like atmosphere and traditions. They will pay the price sooner or later.

3 Olympics, and the first 2 were the ones in '36. And we all know who the real star of those games was ... :facepalm:

This country is synonymous with winter sports and we kill at winter Olympics in the medal table every 4 years. The atmosphere would have been unparalleled because we're crazy about winter sports. Well done IOC, just sell it to the highest bidder, you idiots.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Koreans are quite passionate about sports, I'm sure that the atmosphere will be great. I've never had more fun at a live sporting event than when I attended some in Korea. This whole "they don't understand winter sports, wah wah" nonsense is absolutely absurd, and really quite ignorant. Congrats to our few Korean posters on here... I'm sure that they're happy about the exposure this will give their country.

Uranium
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I would have liked it to have been in Munich. Interesting to see how this will go in 2018...quite some time away:lol:

CillyUltra
Jul 6th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Koreans are quite passionate about sports, I'm sure that the atmosphere will be great. I've never had more fun at a live sporting event than when I attended some in Korea. This whole "they don't understand winter sports, wah wah" nonsense is absolutely absurd, and really quite ignorant.

Have you enjoyed the lovely Biathlon World Championships 2 years ago? :wavey:

nevetssllim
Jul 6th, 2011, 06:19 PM
:lol: God, I read the title as Pyongyang at first, before I remembered that they hadn't put in a bid and SK had.

That would have been an interesting venue. :p

3 Olympics, and the first 2 were the ones in '36. And we all know who the real star of those games was ... :facepalm:

This country is synonymous with winter sports and we kill at winter Olympics in the medal table every 4 years. The atmosphere would have been unparalleled because we're crazy about winter sports. Well done IOC, just sell it to the highest bidder, you idiots.

You probably had a lucky escape if London 2012 is anything to go by. ;) Five years of looking forward to going to see your favourite athletes is followed by the realisation there's as much chance of Voracova winning a Grand Slam than obtaining a fraction of the tickets you applied for.

mckyle.
Jul 6th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Good think Ohno will be retired by then :lol: He would need 24-hour security :tape:

Happy for South Korea!

hurricanejeanne
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Super exciting! I'm a bit surprised it outbid Munich by that much, usually the Winter Games go to countries who have hosted previous Winter Olympics. That said, South Korea did have Seoul in '88.

Hopefully, they go according to plan when the time rolls around to it.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Have you enjoyed the lovely Biathlon World Championships 2 years ago? :wavey:
Is this a real question?

CillyUltra
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Is this a real question?

Do you follow traditional winter sports?

Adrian.
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Only 25 votes for Munich? :facepalm:
I hope they try it again in 2022 :shrug:

I hope they will have a lack of snow, like during Biathlon WC, really great atmosphere...NOT :facepalm:
Annecy got 7 votes?!? :eek::spit:

gumoll
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:33 PM
great choice :yeah:

btw did someone expect that they will pick a European country again? :spit:

Adrian.
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Russia is not Europe for me :shrug:

Great choice? :spit::facepalm:

gumoll
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:44 PM
for IOC Russia is Europe

don't wanna be rude but they probably don't care that for Adrian Russia is not Europe :p

well Korea is much better then Munich for sure :dance:

Novichok
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I hope it doesn't turn out like the 2009 Biathlon. Lack of snow and spectators.:lol::tape:

Adrian.
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Why should it be much better than Munich? :tape:
Please explain :p

shrOOf
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:49 PM
:tape: :tape: Worst possible decision... Biathlon WM in Korea was just shit... no atmosphere at all. Really disappointing for a country like Germany because we are crazy about wintersports.

Specter
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:59 PM
well Korea is much better then Munich for sure :dance:

What do you care anyway? Malysz is retired and Kowalczyk isn't going to be around that long. Nothing in it for you guys. :shrug:

Adrian.
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Do Korean's even have good winter-sportsmen? :oh:
(beside short-track) :oh:

gumoll
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:03 PM
typical German whiners :haha:

this is SO funny :lol:

I think it's called "sore losers" ;)

gumoll
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM
What do you care anyway? Malysz is retired and Kowalczyk isn't going to be around that long. Nothing in it for you guys. :shrug:

and you already know who you will have in 7 years?

Adrian.
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM
typical German whiners :haha:

this is SO funny :lol:

I think it's called "sore losers" ;)

:oh:
yeah, but you said they are much better

tell me why? :)

gumoll
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:11 PM
well Ga-Pa had already WOGs

3rd time Asia will host WOGs so it's a big opportunity for the Asians to see so many great athletes from Germany, USA, Canada...

you will host the games in 2022or 2026 (I think 2026 would be better):p

Adrian.
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM
well Ga-Pa had already WOGs

3rd time Asia will host WOGs so it's a big opportunity for the Asians to see so many great athletes from Germany, USA, Canada...

you will host the games in 2022or 2026 (I think 2026 would be better):p

100 years ago :help:
:o :o :o

they can watch TV as well and they will see them. :shrug: No argument for me.

Specter
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:33 PM
and you already know who you will have in 7 years?

Since 1992 we've topped the medal rankings 3 times, were 2nd twice and 3rd place once, nothing below. I don't have to know who we'll have in 7 years to know we will need to reserve a whole section of our country just to store all the wigs we will have snatched by 2018. :angel:

gumoll
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Since 1992 we've topped the medal rankings 3 times, were 2nd twice and 3rd place once, nothing below. I don't have to know who we'll have in 7 years to know we will need to reserve a whole section of our country just to store all the wigs we will have snatched by 2018. :angel:
you just can't win it all you know? ;p

Mynarco
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I thought it was pyongyang :o
but it should be exciting :eek:

lots of Chinese or Japanese and of course South Korean will be there

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 6th, 2011, 10:03 PM
What an awful choice :yawn:

Seriously :facepalm:

fantic
Jul 7th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Korean land speculators win :spit:

njnetswill
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:05 AM
:yeah: Happy for Korea.

There was no way Europe was going to be awarded the games two times in a row anyway. Only the special case of '92 and '94 did that happen, and you have to go back to the '60s to find another case of back-to-back European hosts.

King Halep
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:14 AM
That would have been an interesting venue. :p

You probably had a lucky escape if London 2012 is anything to go by. ;) Five years of looking forward to going to see your favourite athletes is followed by the realisation there's as much chance of Voracova winning a Grand Slam than obtaining a fraction of the tickets you applied for.

Srebotnik won Wimbledon :)

King Halep
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM

Does Middle East has any footballers :help:

bulava
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM
This is quite insulting. Heard of Seung Hoon Lee? Please develop the habit of *learning* if you don't know enough about the world. Perhaps Sven Kramer would vouch for the South Korean athletes... :)

bulava
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:32 AM
25 votes for Munich, horrible :spit:
But winter games in SouthKorea, all the events they had where shit so far, just remember the Biathlon WC :hysteric:
anyway, people there are nice for sure but they donīt really have a clue about wintersports, letīs hope for the best and letīs hope that Germany is able to get the games anytime soon :o
Don't have a clue? What nonsense :o They were the leading Asian country in the 2010 games with quite a good medal tally.

CillyUltra
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I hope it doesn't turn out like the 2009 Biathlon.
Of course it will. ;)

I remember that Magdalena Neuner said she had to clean up her dirty room.

Bismarck.
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Don't have a clue? What nonsense :o They were the leading Asian country in the 2010 games with quite a good medal tally.

That has absolutely nothing to do with crowd turnout which is what Michael was referring to.

Adrian.
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Does Middle East has any footballers :help:

Is this about even more corrupt FIFA? :help::oh:

This is quite insulting. Heard of Seung Hoon Lee? Please develop the habit of *learning* if you don't know enough about the world. Perhaps Sven Kramer would vouch for the South Korean athletes... :)

Yeah, great, one speed skater :worship::tape:

Heard of Magdalena Neuner, Kati Wilhelm, Simone Hauswald, Andrea Henkel, André Lange, Kevin Kuske, Aljona Sawtschenko, Robin Szolkowy, Felix Loch, Tatjana Hüfner, Maria Riesch...and and and? :oh::facepalm:

Furthermore, why should it been insulting? :rolleyes::spit::facepalm:

Adrian.
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:36 AM
That has absolutely nothing to do with crowd turnout which is what Michael was referring to.

+1

ViceUltramontain
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:19 AM
7 votes ? Annecy should have withdrawn long time ago. France should focus on a Paris bid for the Summer Games in 2024.

A Magicman
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Thank you to the fuckers in Garmisch and the Green party for offensively promoting that they are against the Games in Germany, just like the fucktards in Berlin spoilt it all in 2000. Against, against, against, this is all my people seems to be capable of doing those days.

All this whining and complaining will never again bring us back the games. Neither summer nor winter.

And don't get me started talking about "Leipzig 2012". Competing against London, Paris, Moscow and New York with LEIPZIG of all cities. This is so unprofessional.

We have proven that we can host huge events and make them a remarkable milestone in sports history - but our approach to getting the Olympics is crap. Each time we try.

So congrats to "Pyongchang" and good luck.

njnetswill
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
The bitching about Korea is completely unwarranted. only Canada, Germany, USA, and Norway finished higher than South Korea on the Vancouver medal table. That's pretty good company. I know that you Europeans are much more passionate about sports like biathlon that get almost zero attention in other regions, but you have to understand that there's more to the winter games than the events where you have skis on your feet.

That said, the German posters are right in that Germany deserves to host the Olympics soon. The German committee just doesn't seem to be able to put together a very strong proposal to the IOC and time their efforts strategically.

Adrian.
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Well, Korea just won medals on Ice and only on short-track and speed skater + gold from figure skating :shrug:

There is more than just ice..:oh:

bulava
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I thought crowd turnout, in many cases, is more or less proportional to the success/popularity of a global sport/event, isn't it? We also need to note that Winter Olympics is to be held on their very own soil for the FIRST time so I don't see quite a good reason from that perspective :unsure:

gumoll
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Well, Korea just won medals on Ice and only on short-track and speed skater + gold from figure skating :shrug:

so in your opinion Olympics should be awarded to a country that wins the most medals? :spit: :haha: :cuckoo:

IOC doesn't like Germany so please stop trying to get the OG ;)
they want new countries :p

bulava
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Yeah, great, one speed skater :worship::tape:

Heard of Magdalena Neuner, Kati Wilhelm, Simone Hauswald, Andrea Henkel, André Lange, Kevin Kuske, Aljona Sawtschenko, Robin Szolkowy, Felix Loch, Tatjana Hüfner, Maria Riesch...and and and? :oh::facepalm:

Furthermore, why should it been insulting? :rolleyes::spit::facepalm:
So, according to you only Germans are eligible? If that's the case then Winter Olympics should have to be hosted only by Americans, Canadians and Germans? Don't you think it's an invalid argument?

Looking at the way you responded, it smelled quite insulting towards a *developed* nation which is no less than most of their western counterparts. You know, during the 2010 Formula 1 championship, some people said very -ve about Koreans in the similar way but with by hosting a successful inaugural race Koreans made the people to shut their mouths. Ditto was the case with the China's Beijing Olympics but they stunned the world, and then itself British counterparts have declared (closing ceremony interviews) that they couldn't afford to spend so much for London Olympics! So, what does these experiences prove?

Just? This is also quite insulting to me :shrug:

bulava
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:57 PM
so in your opinion Olympics should be awarded to a country that wins the most medals? :spit: :haha: :cuckoo:

IOC doesn't like Germany so please stop trying to get the OG ;)
they want new countries :p
I wonder how these people are going to react once they learn that Brazil is going to host FIFA World Cup in 2014 and Summer Olympics in 2016. Perhaps it's time for them to wake up and smell the Coffee, then take a good look around the changing world :)

Adrian.
Jul 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Yeah, what about olympics in Antarktis 2022, before it disappears from the world, we should play there :shrug: :oh:
And olympics 2020 should be in the desert gobi, there would be a great market for sports as well :p :oh:

(Just kidding :p)

Bismarck.
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I thought crowd turnout, in many cases, is more or less proportional to the success/popularity of a global sport/event, isn't it?

Not really, it depends more on how popular winter sports are with the South Korean population, as they will be the main purchasers of tickets. Of course, given that it is an Olympic Games that will definitely boost popularity and many people will go just for the sake of it and the prestige of being there.

We also need to note that Winter Olympics is to be held on their very own soil for the FIRST time so I don't see quite a good reason from that perspective :unsure:

:shrug: That may be true, but they've held an Olympic Games in their country more recently than Germany has in its own country. TBH, I think that the support of the local population towards hosting the Games is a much more valid reason to award this event to a nation and IMO, in that aspect Germany>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SK.

Specter
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I wonder how these people are going to react once they learn that Brazil is going to host FIFA World Cup in 2014 and Summer Olympics in 2016. Perhaps it's time for them to wake up and smell the Coffee, then take a good look around the changing world :)

First, FIFA and IOC have nothing to do with each other and the decision of one governing body has no influence on the other.

Second, we already had the WC in 2006 and now we're hosting the women's WC, so we're pretty much cool with FIFA (I guess we pay them more :lol:). We're going to get the stupid OG eventually and we'll organize the living shit out of them so the "changing world" can take a few notes while having their morning coffee. :p

IOC doesn't like Germany

Or maybe you're just projecting. :drink:

gumoll
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:22 PM
btw Germany will only apply to host winter games?

will Berlin be a candidate for summer games? :p

A Magicman
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:35 PM
will Berlin be a candidate for summer games? :p

Never again. The people of that city don't deserve the games. They killed the application in 2000 with their protests and unwillingness. They now started putting up stickers in some city quarters saying "Berlin doesnt love you" to visitors.

IF we ever send a candidate again, it can only be Munich or Hamburg.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Do you follow traditional winter sports?

Irrelevant. Also irrelevant: I have actually lived in Korea, and hence actually have a fucking clue what I'm talking about.

Relevant: Whether or not at biathlon event held in the past was successful will have absolutely zero impact on how many Koreans actually show up and support the Olympics.

News flash: The Olympics are kind of a big deal, and people who don't give a shit about winter sports will still show up to them. If anything, I'd be concerned about them going just a bit too crazy for their own athletes. ;)

News flash #2: Koreans are very conscious about their image to the rest of the world. They will see this as a great opportunity to present themselves in a positive light, and I would be very surprised if the people did not show up in droves to support it.

All of these things being said, it is Korea, so I do expect them to amazingly screw up at least one thing. Doesn't everybody?

Crazy Canuck
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I hope it doesn't turn out like the 2009 Biathlon. Lack of snow and spectators.:lol::tape:

Do people honestly think that this is a real, valid comparison that is actually worth making?

This is like saying that the summer games should never go to a country that failed to put on the most awesome handball competition ever. Seriously, somebody make a list of those countries and forward it to the IOC.

njnetswill
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Do people honestly think that this is a real, valid comparison that is actually worth making?

This is like saying that the summer games should never go to a country that failed to put on the most awesome handball competition ever. Seriously, somebody make a list of those countries and forward it to the IOC.

Exactly. Ask 99.9% of Americans what "biathlon" is and you will get a lot of :confused: Doesn't mean that Salt Lake City was a failure (if you ignore the ice dance judging scandal :oh:)

silverwhite
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:15 AM
7 votes ? Annecy should have withdrawn long time ago. France should focus on a Paris bid for the Summer Games in 2024.

The 2012 Summer Games could have and should have been held in Paris if not for... :hysteric:

fantic
Jul 11th, 2011, 01:59 AM
This must be a black comedy. Who WILL use those facilities after the Olympic ends?
Ever thought about that? :o
I predict a HUGE deficit.. :facepalm:
Can't we just cancel it and 'award' it to Germany? :oh: :lol:

Adrian.
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:12 AM
:oh: yeah, please do it :oh:

fantic
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I also have absolutely NO idea why we hosted F1 :facepalm:

It's in the middle of nowhere :help: I don't think even die hard fans will pay to go there :lol:

And there aren't many F1 fans in Korea, to say the least :haha:

Whoever thought that it would pay need a serious brain diagnosis :help:

Expect it to get folded soon :facepalm:

Singleniacki
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:21 AM
YAY!

I was really hoping they would get it :D

matthias
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:43 PM
the Slogan for the PC games should be "Free admission*"

*= exept Short-Track

and even with Free Admission noone wil go and watch the Athletes

Biathlon Worlds = i guess they sold less then 1000 tickets to Koreans, all other have been foreign supporters and members of the Delegations
Curling Worlds = ^^^^^^^
Snowboard Worlds = ^^^^^^^

but we know why they got the games, they played the "we feel so sorry for PC" perfectly, then Samsung is a major sponsor for many Sport Federations (Track and Field, rowing etc.) and Koreans know how to make deals.

But this will make the Munich 2022 Games even more special
WinterGames will rock bottom in 2018, and then will rise to a new high in 2022 :woohoo:

i just feel sorry for all the Athletes who have to compete in front of Empty Stands
Olympic Games should always something special for Athletes, even if they are out of reach for a medal,
Olympic Games should create a special Atmosphere, but PC will have problems to fill the Stands for 50% (Exept ShortTrack and maybe Figure Skating)

kwilliams
Jul 11th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I think a lot of the criticism is totally warranted. I've lived in Korea for over three years and I skied in the one of the best resorts in Pyeongchang just this past season. The slopes were better than I expected but still worse than all but one of the dozen or so places I've skied in Europe (including Sauze D'Oulx which was used for some events during Turin 06 and Meribel which was used during the Youth Olympics). I have no idea how the Koreans are going to pull off a giant slalom or Super G event in Pyeongchang. Nevertheless I'm sure they'll find a way. Koreans are tenacious and they will be determined to make this event a success and anything that needs to be built will be built on time (although maybe not the high-speed rail connections they're talking about)

I certainly feel that the Koreans' persistence and wallet-size has been rewarded, which is a shame. The IOC should choose the best venue.

Kim Yuna has to be one of the most popular people in Korea in the past few years. People adore her. So, there is some interest in winter sports. Their ski/snowboarding resorts might not be much but they are busy and people enjoy these sports. I expect that interest in winter sports will rise steadily over the next seven years. Korea will be focused on this until 2018. Koreans can be very welcoming and hospitable but the more money/power/status/importance a Korean has the less nice they are (generally speaking of course). You'll get the warmest welcome from the humblest of people here. So, people might miss out on that.

Even though I live here I can't really feel happy for them because I know first hand that their resorts, though very good by Asian standards, aren't nearly as good as European ones. The only advantage there is to skiing in Korea is that you can get ramen at lunchtime!!

Specter
Jul 11th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I also have absolutely NO idea why we hosted F1 :facepalm:

It's in the middle of nowhere :help: I don't think even die hard fans will pay to go there :lol:

And there aren't many F1 fans in Korea, to say the least :haha:

Whoever thought that it would pay need a serious brain diagnosis :help:

Expect it to get folded soon :facepalm:

That stuff never pays. F1, Olympics, World Cup - all that stuff only costs money. We didn't make anything back from 2006 WC and they're thinking about canceling the German F1 GP eventually because no one can afford it anymore. Countries and cities don't do those events for the money, but for the prestige and exposure.

TV said last year that they didn't even air F1 in SK before last season, is that correct?

YAY!

I was really hoping they would get it :D

Because of the timezone, right? Seeing how there can't be any other reason.

fantic
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:44 PM
^ you're right, it costs money, so generally the cities or nations are not overly eager to host...maybe the exception is Atlanta Olympic and 94 World Cup, US really knows how to make profit :lol: I don't think they ever built a new stadium for 94, smart move of course. Winter Olympics especially really never make profits..Gangwong Province (Where PC is situated) is particularly bad right now..I don't think it will help their economy :help:

Dunno about airing for F1 'cause I don't live there right now :lol: But the EXPENSIVE ticket price, unreachable venue...you name it :facepalm:

bulava
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:25 PM
That stuff never pays. F1, Olympics, World Cup - all that stuff only costs money. We didn't make anything back from 2006 WC and they're thinking about canceling the German F1 GP eventually because no one can afford it anymore. Countries and cities don't do those events for the money, but for the prestige and exposure.

Hosting a big International event is not only about profits. Lot of things are considered such as augmenting National image, developing infrastructure, promoting the sporting culture, nurturing local talent and more. I agree with the spiraling cost factor so best remedy is all those countries should shut down their shops and pass on to the countries who could really afford it as well as having a good potential markets for the sport, media etc.

That's what happening is the Formula 1 so Bernie Ecclestone is right in putting up new venues such as in China, Middle East, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, and this year marks the inaugural Indian Grand Prix. BTW, which tickets are really affordable? Last year I was at Wimbledon, and I wasn't really surprised with the ticket prices there. It's also to be noted that the events such as Formula 1 requires high investment (not less than $300 million to set up a venue in these times), obviously reflects on the ticket prices.

In fact, any infrastructure project will cost people money. I'm well versed with European roads, ever thought why do they charge Toll? It's the same in most of the countries for Roads, Airports etc. because they consume huge money. There must be some RoI over the period of time, isn't it? So the ticket prices. Affordability is another thing for the debate, but one can't expect low prices for everything. Life itself is quite expensive enough to many on this planet, starting from Birth to Death :)

Crazy Canuck
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:50 PM
The only advantage there is to skiing in Korea is that you can get ramen at lunchtime!!

Written like a man who has lived in Korea for far too long ;)

njnetswill
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Japan isn't known for skiing either, right? I remember watching Nagano '98 and I thought it went pretty well :shrug: But I was young so maybe I wasn't aware of problems.

tommyk75
Jul 12th, 2011, 03:18 AM
I think the wave of "Olympic pride" will override any general disinterest in winter sports in a big way. Don't worry; no way the stands are going to be empty.

PhilePhile
Jul 12th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Japan isn't known for skiing either, right? I remember watching Nagano '98 and I thought it went pretty well :shrug: But I was young so maybe I wasn't aware of problems.

Looked good (especially for the Germans :lol:)...

gNCQHPCnD1c

Specter
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Looked good (especially for the Germans :lol:)...

gNCQHPCnD1c

Kati in the zebra suit and a triple podium! :sobbing: I hope people at least understand why we're so angry and upset.

fantic
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Maybe we can share the venue with Germany like in 2002 World Cup

Opening and closing ceremonies and short track; Korea

All others; Germany

:haha:

bulava
Jul 18th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Japan's FIFA Women WC glory solidified my PoV even more. In my earlier post, this is what I meant by "Changing World" so it's just a matter of time for all those deserving countries to realize their dreams minus all the damn politics, controversies, scams, scandals etc.

Now, all the whining babies should wait for those 2018 Games...
Oh BTW, I'm rooting for 2014 Sochi Games success too :)