PDA

View Full Version : Nobody Watches Womens Tennis eh? Is He Right?

TennisMindCamp
Jul 6th, 2011, 02:58 PM
What do you think guys? Is he right?

SOURCE: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/758527-why-no-one-watches-womens-tennis

GoofyDuck
Jul 6th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I watch women's tennis, so he's not right. :shrug:

But there are some things I agree with and there is some fun stuff written. :lol:

"Why does it matter how ‘beautiful’ the women are? More important is how well they are playing. Well, Wozniacki has very little talent, and we are seeing that as of late."

longtin23
Jul 6th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I just watched Pennetta vs Kerber...

Jimmie48
Jul 6th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Given that this forum alone has 66.000 members I´m not sure I´ll agree...

young_gunner913
Jul 6th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Let's all chip our best 1 liners to write an article "Why Nobody Reads Solomon Ryan". :)

Slutiana
Jul 6th, 2011, 03:13 PM
:spit:

What an idiotic article.

Mynarco
Jul 6th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Bullshit.

selestribe
Jul 6th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Not the right title for that article, but I agree with most of what he wrote.

TennisMindCamp
Jul 6th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Let's all chip our best 1 liners to write an article "Why Nobody Reads Solomon Ryan". :)

Good One!;)

Maria rocks
Jul 6th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Idiot. :mad:

Novichok
Jul 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Lots of people watch women's tennis. Is it as popular as men's tennis? No. However, it is the most popular women's sport (at least in the States).

NedRise
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM
This guy is just a college student who likes to write about tennis. I wouldn't give his opinions too much weight. He seems less informed (and more argumentative) than the average contributor on TF.

The blog cited has no coherent theme, and weak support for the arguments cited:

(1) Is there evidence that nobody watches women's tennis, or that interest is falling?

(2) It's pretty clear why NBC touted Sharapova's appearance in the final -- she has name recognition, and tv loves a comeback story. I think they would have emphasized Serena's appearance just as much if she had made it to the final.

(3) He faults ESPN for not doing more stories on Kvitova. Has he read any of the interviews/press-conferences with her? There's so little story to tell -- she's shy, and she hits hard. (Oh, and she's left-handed -- I think NBC might have mentioned that once or twice). He feels they didn't acknowledge that she was clearly the better player before the match -- why should they acknowledge that when Sharapova was the clear betting favorite (and bettors don't bet based on looks).

(4) The quote of a Wimbledon official turns out to be two years old, was quickly retracted, and is somewhat ambiguous ("attractive" can have a lot of meanings for a PR-type). In any case, Serena did play on Center Court (as did Venus), and Sharapova played on Court 2 twice. It seemed pretty clear to me that the schedulers were trying to get a reasonable cross-section of the top players on Center court and Court 1 the first week, along with all of the British players.

The guy's title is even nonsensical -- there's too much focus on the "stars." Who else are you supposed to focus on? :shrug:

Malkmus_
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Fail.

tejmeglekvár
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:45 PM
so, which one of you trolls wrote this? :p

Excelscior
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:49 PM
why should they acknowledge that when Sharapova was the clear betting favorite (and bettors don't bet based on looks).

Hey Ned.

By the time of the Semi-finals Sharapova was no longer the clear betting favorite (in between Serena had also surpassed her b4 getting knocked out as well). Her and Kvitova were about around 3, with Sharapova a little lower and Petra at 3.40 etc. a little higher. But they were close enough!

Also, betting is not always based off of ability, but name recognition and fan support. And considering that Petra was a virtual unknown and received such strong betting support from the start of the tournament, only increasing as the tournament progressed, the writer had a point.

As a matter of fact, after watching the semi-finals, ESPN (except Chris Evert and Pam Shriver of course) and NBC analyst were already conceding that Petra was the much better player, and that Masha's only hope to win was off her experience or Petra implosion.

But we know why they played up Masha; name recognition, her glamorous image, having a story to tell, and thinking she could handle the pressure. Yeah. Okay! Lol.

But before that, it was quite clear, that most of the so called US TV experts, hadn't actually seen Petra play and just ignored her.

Yes, we can't take people too seriously who write articles on Bleacher Reports, as well. Lol.

bobito
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:57 PM
"Now, after Kvitova won the finals, I thought maybe people would give her some credit. No. I saw headlines like, “Why Sharapova Collapsed,” or, “Sharapova loses Wimbledon.”"

If that is true of the US press then shame on them. On this side of the pond the press concentrated on Kvitova's girl next-door charm and the remarkable story that she only played for fun with her brothers and parents until she was 16. There was also an excellent analysis of the match by Nick Bollettieri in the Independent.

There is something in what the writer says about Wimbledon's treatment of players though, which is very disappointing. The treatment of Kvitova (3 titles and 1 final this year leading into the tournament and a semi-finalist at last year's Wimbledon) to that of Sharapova (1 title and 4r last year) illustrates this. They started by downgrading Kvitova's seeding to make way for Serena Williams, which, until Clijsters withdrew, would have denied the Czech a QF seeding. The courts they then played on speak volumes.

1st Round: Sharapova – centre court, Kvitova - court 14
2nd Round: Sharapova - court 1, Kvitova - court 1 (probably only because she was playing a British girl)
3rd Round: Sharapova - court 2, Kvitova - court 18
4th Round: Sharapova - court 1, Kvitova - court 12
QF: Sharapova – centre court, Kvitova - court 1

The organisers would no doubt point out that Sharapova is better known and a former champion, and indeed she was. But back in 2004 when Sharapova was a little known rising star, she played all but one of her matches on show courts. How do you expect the public to get to know a player if you keep hiding them on an outside court? Kvitova was the most exciting young player on the WTA tour and a real contender for the title and frankly deserved better, as her victory demonstrated.

It reflects poorly on the game when its premier tournament treats players with a celebrity magazine mentality.

Maria rocks
Jul 6th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Lots of people watch women's tennis. Is it as popular as men's tennis? No. However, it is the most popular women's sport (at least in the States).

I much prefer ladies tennis to the men's always have done.

Jimmie48
Jul 6th, 2011, 06:28 PM

Me too, in fact I don't care about men's tennis at all. Tennis is woman's game for me, don't ask me why, it's just the way it is...

Jakeev
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:03 PM
For the most part I think the writer was spot on. But of course from an American perspective.

Perhaps this is an American issue. I have not read a single post-Wimbledon article from across the globe so we can't say what the writer says is an International fact.

Reality is, I think Americans want to see Americans in the finals of Wimbledon and other events. And considering that just isn't happening anymore, tennis ratings might just get worse.

duhcity
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:07 PM
More Australians watched Kim-Na than Novak-Andy :oh:

Aaron.
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Is it that big of a deal? Why can't we just enjoy both tours. IMO if you don't like both tours then you aren't a true fan of tennis.

Both have the pros and cons WTA = Drama while ATP is higher quality but less drama and emotions.

Solitaire
Jul 6th, 2011, 11:58 PM
"Now, after Kvitova won the finals, I thought maybe people would give her some credit. No. I saw headlines like, “Why Sharapova Collapsed,” or, “Sharapova loses Wimbledon.”"

If that is true of the US press then shame on them. On this side of the pond the press concentrated on Kvitova's girl next-door charm and the remarkable story that she only played for fun with her brothers and parents until she was 16. There was also an excellent analysis of the match by Nick Bollettieri in the Independent.

There is something in what the writer says about Wimbledon's treatment of players though, which is very disappointing. The treatment of Kvitova (3 titles and 1 final this year leading into the tournament and a semi-finalist at last year's Wimbledon) to that of Sharapova (1 title and 4r last year) illustrates this. They started by downgrading Kvitova's seeding to make way for Serena Williams, which, until Clijsters withdrew, would have denied the Czech a QF seeding. The courts they then played on speak volumes.

1st Round: Sharapova – centre court, Kvitova - court 14
2nd Round: Sharapova - court 1, Kvitova - court 1 (probably only because she was playing a British girl)
3rd Round: Sharapova - court 2, Kvitova - court 18
4th Round: Sharapova - court 1, Kvitova - court 12
QF: Sharapova – centre court, Kvitova - court 1

The organisers would no doubt point out that Sharapova is better known and a former champion, and indeed she was. But back in 2004 when Sharapova was a little known rising star, she played all but one of her matches on show courts. How do you expect the public to get to know a player if you keep hiding them on an outside court? Kvitova was the most exciting young player on the WTA tour and a real contender for the title and frankly deserved better, as her victory demonstrated.

It reflects poorly on the game when its premier tournament treats players with a celebrity magazine mentality.

Wimbledon is notorious for not having much respect for women's tennis, this is nothing new. I'm sure if they had their way there would be no women's matches on CC until the final and only one women's match a day on the big show courts.:rolleyes:

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Is it that big of a deal? Why can't we just enjoy both tours. IMO if you don't like both tours then you aren't a true fan of tennis.

Both have the pros and cons WTA = Drama while ATP is higher quality but less drama and emotions.

I do enjoy both. But prefer the ladies tennis.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I do enjoy both. But prefer the ladies tennis.
I love both about equally.

Morrissey
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:11 PM
WOW some people have serious reading comprehension skills problems. The article is criticizing the sexism against female tennis players. I agree with the article, Sharapova gets so much attention because the western media say she is pretty. I don't see it I just see a skinny blonde white chick. BUT I guess, that's the way the white media works. The writer is correct Sharapova's serve is not that great and it is very shaky. I remember the match was 3-2 and Maria hit two double faults in a row and her game collapsed. Sharapova is talented BUT she is very one dimensional she doesn't think on the court she has NO variety in her game. Kvitova should be receiving more press and I am thrilled she BEAT Maria just to prove that tennis skills matter. Kvitova has an excellent serve, bigger shots than Maria the final was a total wipe out.

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM
WOW some people have serious reading comprehension skills problems. The article is criticizing the sexism against female tennis players. I agree with the article, Sharapova gets so much attention because the western media say she is pretty. I don't see it I just see a skinny blonde white chick. BUT I guess, that's the way the white media works. The writer is correct Sharapova's serve is not that great and it is very shaky. I remember the match was 3-2 and Maria hit two double faults in a row and her game collapsed. Sharapova is talented BUT she is very one dimensional she doesn't think on the court she has NO variety in her game. Kvitova should be receiving more press and I am thrilled she BEAT Maria just to prove that tennis skills matter. Kvitova has an excellent serve, bigger shots than Maria the final was a total wipe out.

Oi quit slating Masha:mad:

Level55
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:54 PM

This :worship:

I like both tours, I don't constantly compare them to each other.

pov
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:55 PM
If Sharapova had never won a major, hadn't been playing well in the lead-up and was unknown then he'd have a point about the attractiveness factor. Many people don't think of Mauresmo, Clijsters, Henin, Davenport, Kuznetsova as being hotties yet they did/do garner a lot of attention. And IMO Kvitova happens to be very attractive ('cept for that belly) and she did get a lot of media attention when she won.

Maria rocks
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:54 AM
If Sharapova had never won a major, hadn't been playing well in the lead-up and was unknown then he'd have a point about the attractiveness factor. Many people don't think of Mauresmo, Clijsters, Henin, Davenport, Kuznetsova as being hotties yet they did/do garner a lot of attention. And IMO Kvitova happens to be very attractive ('cept for that belly) and she did get a lot of media attention when she won.

OH MY GOD WHO CARES!!! Lets concentrate on the tennis not if one has a bigger belly than the other one!!!!

MaBaker
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:55 AM
"Why does it matter how ‘beautiful’ the women are?More important is how well they are playing. Well, Wozniacki has very little talent, and we are seeing that as of late."
This part is spot on :worship:

But I disagree that Venus is one of the most talented tennis players in the history. Serena yes, no doubt about that.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:06 AM
This part is spot on :worship:
All the more reason to admire her. Never has a player with so little talent achieved so much. :worship:

Mashabator
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM
lots of people watch it!

chavet
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Me too :)

égalité
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Did any of you actually read the article? :unsure: He's not bashing women's tennis; he's bashing the way it's being marketed.