PDA

View Full Version : Sue Barker to not be anchor woman on BBC for Wimbledon after 2012?

Maria rocks
Jul 6th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Hope not true as she makes the coverage sooooo great. It wouldn't be the same without Auntie Sue!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/8595581/Wimbledon-2011-diary-BBC-faces-a-question-of-replacing-Sue-Barker-as-Wimbledon-anchor.html

Malkmus_
Jul 6th, 2011, 11:09 AM
John Inverdale? Andrew Castle? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :sobbing: :sobbing:

I love how it says her age in the article. Yet again the Beeb are getting rid of an older presenter for someone younger :p

Bartoli's Boy
Jul 6th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Not Andrew Castle! If he's the anchor for Wimbledon then he won't be able to play the invitational doubles with Bahrami anymore. :sad: They played the best matches of the tournament... no argument (and if you argue then you're wrong ;) ) Castle makes a good straight man but can actually be quite funny himself. :p

ZyHzLJ2C11M

MegaDethly
Jul 6th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Clare Balding PLEASE!!!

Raiden
Jul 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Castle makes a good straight man but can actually be quite funny himself. :p

ZyHzLJ2C11MAndrew is as stiff an stuffy as they come, whether he's behind the microphone or in front of camera.

Sean.
Jul 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM
She said before the men's final that she'd signed a new contract. :unsure:

Maria rocks
Jul 6th, 2011, 02:42 PM
She said before the men's final that she'd signed a new contract. :unsure:

Did she? I never heard that but really hope you are right:)

Spice
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Don't bet on Sue Barker not going! I heard that the Beeb after the Olympics to Christine Fleakley to keep her there before her move to borebreak! What an idea! Apparently Sue is not a fan of Anabel Croft either. But I reckon they are trying to get someone else in after her contract ends after the Olympics 2012! I think McEnroe fancies her

Ryusuke Tenma
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Hopefully, she carries on. I like her and she does a great job.

pesto
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I have no enormous love for Sue, but can't stand Inverdale or Castle. Though I think they both toned down the obnoxiousness a tad this year.

Or maybe it just seems that way, comparing them to Garry Prickhardson.

These days though, with streams for multiple courts on BBC interactive, I hardly see Sue. I'd rather watch tennis than the studio blather, so I just flick over to an outside court while they're doing the build-up for the big match on Centre.

That way I get to see the Williamses too.

AdeyC
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Sue's great - love it when they used to have rain and she'd have Martina, Pam or Jelly Bean King in the studio and they'd talk about their times playing.

Can't stand Inverdale or Castle, do like Annabel Croft though, if Sue did leave rather have Annabel out of those.

leftyness
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:33 PM
John Inverdale? Andrew Castle? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :sobbing: :sobbing:

I love how it says her age in the article. Yet again the Beeb are getting rid of an older presenter for someone younger :p

The article is saying that Sue herself is making the choice to cut back her workload. No hint of the beeb wanting to get rid of her, nor should they want to, she does a fantastic job, and the thought of anyone else but Sue doing the on-court interview with the singles champions is too horrible to contemplate.

Hopefully, she carries on. I like her and she does a great job.

A blonde most posters will agree with you about.;)

pesto
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I like Sue best when a player who remembers her of old forces her into actually talking about tennis and showing she knows something. Virginia is another who draws her out, of course.

She too easily falls into the role of foil when the blokes are about.

I don't know whether Annabel would be right for the gig really. Sue holds it together much better than Annabel does when things don't go quite to plan. I can't immediately think of anyone who would do as well as Sue.

What about Rob Curling, who does the studio guff for Eurosport? I don't think he does too bad a job there.

Maria rocks
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I like Sue best when a player who remembers her of old forces her into actually talking about tennis and showing she knows something. Virginia is another who draws her out, of course.

She too easily falls into the role of foil when the blokes are about.

I don't know whether Annabel would be right for the gig really. Sue holds it together much better than Annabel does when things don't go quite to plan. I can't immediately think of anyone who would do as well as Sue.

What about Rob Curling, who does the studio guff for Eurosport? I don't think he does too bad a job there.

Rob Curling does do it well. But can't imagine anyone other than Sue Barker doing Wimbledon on BBC. Anabelle Croft? GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Dave.
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I've kind of gone off her in recent years but she's still by far the best of what the BBC have to offer. I have a feeling Inverdale's been waiting for Sue's job for a while and is probably next in line. In which case I'll just stick to streams. :o

I do love her what have now become annual chats with Pam after the women's SF's. That's the one time she actually gives input on the tennis herself and you can tell she still has an interest in the women's tour (because so often everywhere else she acts like she doesn't give a crap).

Clare Balding PLEASE!!!

Yes!

Mary Cherry.
Jul 6th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Oh God, not the Eurosport guy - he's useless. Sue should stay, but they need to resolve the on-court interview mess in the trophy ceremonies. Players don't know whether to answer questions or give a speech, etc. Still, as long as the microphones work... :unsure:

But yes, for the main anchor woman

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad255/zevavavoom/suebarkersealofapproval.png

Jake Humphrey or Hazel Irvine replacing John Inverdale for the highlights would be the best move they could (and should) make.

Wintermute
Jul 6th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I was initially resistant but then thought about it some more: if Andrew Castle gets the gig then we won't have to listen to him commentating any more! :D

wally1
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I was initially resistant but then thought about it some more: if Andrew Castle gets the gig then we won't have to listen to him commentating any more! :DThat's almost tempting. I thought Castle's commentary on the mens final was truly appalling - deadly dull and added absolutely nothing to the occassion. Him, Inverdale and Gary Richardson are complete and utter shit.

cn ireland
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I really like Sue & Wimbledon wouldn't be the same without her!!!

Maria rocks
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I really like Sue & Wimbledon wouldn't be the same without her!!!

Spot on!!:)

Maria rocks
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:10 PM
That's almost tempting. I thought Castle's commentary on the mens final was truly appalling - deadly dull and added absolutely nothing to the occassion. Him, Inverdale and Gary Richardson are complete and utter shit.

Yeah can't stick Castle or Richardson. I quite like Inverdale tho its like Today at Wimbledon wouldn't be the same without him.

Jakeev
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Anyone remember Wimbledon before they added Sue Barker? What happened to those days.....

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Bring back Des Lynam :lol:

come on Beeb get one of those babes of Sky Sports News
Natalie Sawyer :drool:

LightWarrior
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:36 PM
"SOURCES SUGGEST"...How typical.

Malkmus_
Jul 6th, 2011, 11:44 PM
come on Beeb get one of those babes of Sky Sports News
Natalie Sawyer :drool:

Georgie Thompson :hearts:
She was quite good at Wimbledon report on Sky Sports News and she's done some coverage for the US Open on Sky Sports too.

Sean.
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:54 AM
I'll do it. :lol:

You get paid shit loads and get to watch/talk about tennis all day for two weeks!

V-MAC
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:04 AM
SuBaka better be staying put:fiery: When she finally does retire though, I want to see Sam Smith take over:worship:

Mynarco
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I like Sue. Her voice is so nice and really....mesmerizing

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:54 AM
SuBaka better be staying put:fiery: When she finally does retire though, I want to see Sam Smith take over:worship:

Yes i like Sam Smith. She really knows her stuff she's a brilliant commentator and i think BBC could do a lot worse than having Sam take over from Sue. I really hope Sue stays for years to come though.

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I'll do it. :lol:

You get paid shit loads and get to watch/talk about tennis all day for two weeks!

Yeah it can't be a bad job. I will do it with you:lol:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:02 AM
They should offer Sue two or three times as much money as they have done up until now. ANYTHING to make sure that she'll remain the anchor woman.

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:05 AM
They should offer Sue two or three times as much money as they have done up until now. ANYTHING to make sure that she'll remain the anchor woman.

I agree 100%. It will be a very sad day if Sue Stepped down.

AdeyC
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Whatever happened to Gerald Williams?

Sean.
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Definitely the only alternative would be Sam. :worship:

Spice
Jul 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I think Georgie Thompson would be a good replacement if Sue wants to cut back, but I get the feeling Sue would want to stay on at Wimbledon and cut down on the other sports she does. She does the Ice Skating! Thompson is good and could handle the pressure Croft would melt when she has to interview the men. Andrew Castle would be too much!

Dementinator
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Get rid of Andrew Castle, Fucking Anabel Croft, and the worlds most useless player that ever was Sam Smith.

Not forgetting the Strimmer, Tracey Austin.

We do not need any more failed British Tennis players talking bollocks as they usually do, Leave Sue where she is, shes the only one doing a good job.

Dont get me started on that odious sexist prick that is John Inverdale, send him back to rugby so he can continue to admire mens bums.

The whole team needs a shakep up but Sues the only good part, I agree that Clare Balding would be good too.

Melly Flew Us
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM
... I'd rather watch tennis than the studio blather, so I just flick over to an outside court while they're doing the build-up for the big match on Centre.

That way I get to see the Williamses too.
too funny :)

Maria rocks
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Get rid of Andrew Castle, Fucking Anabel Croft, and the worlds most useless player that ever was Sam Smith.

Not forgetting the Strimmer, Tracey Austin.

We do not need any more failed British Tennis players talking bollocks as they usually do, Leave Sue where she is, shes the only one doing a good job.

Dont get me started on that odious sexist prick that is John Inverdale, send him back to rugby so he can continue to admire mens bums.

The whole team needs a shakep up but Sues the only good part, I agree that Clare Balding would be good too.

Anabel Croft doesn't work for BBC i don't think? Never see her if she does. She is more on Eurosport and Sky sports.

Tipp
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:59 AM
If being a former tennis player isn't a requirement (though it should be) then Gabby Logan might be okay.

Maria rocks
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:36 AM
If being a former tennis player isn't a requirement (though it should be) then Gabby Logan might be okay.

Nah can't imagine her presenting tennis.

Escape
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Anabel Croft doesn't work for BBC i don't think? Never see her if she does. She is more on Eurosport and Sky sports.

I think she works for BBC radio 5 live when Wimbledon is on.

Maria rocks
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I think she works for BBC radio 5 live when Wimbledon is on.

Ah right. :)

chaz1978
Jul 8th, 2011, 09:32 PM
The Eurosport commentators regularly work for the BBC at Wimbledon these days. I've heard Annabel commentating on the red button before but not this year.

Can't see her getting the top job, more like Inverdale and if not the one of the other BBC sports presenters, Hazel Irvine, Gabby Logan, Clare Balding...or god forbid the smug git Andrew Castle who has time to spare since he got the boot from GMTV!

If Sue cuts back her role anymore she'll be all but retired, she doesn't do athletics anymore or the Grand National like she did a few years back. She seemed to laugh it off when McEnroe brought it up but didn't deny it. I remember Navratilova saying something on air a few years back during one of their chats about rumours that Sue was going to be replaced and how she was the best person for the job yet she's still there so not too sure I'd hold much stock by a newspaper article. Hope it's not true anyway as Sue does a top job

Excelscior
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I to like Sam Smith as a replacement (especially if they keep her in the studio to do matches). I find her incredibly well researched, enthusiastic and prepared to discuss the women that she sees play.

LightWarrior
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM
She can't go. She may be 55 but there's something very sexy about her. Her aura, voice, perfect English accent, energy. I love that woman.

Maria rocks
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I to like Sam Smith as a replacement (especially if they keep her in the studio to do matches). I find her incredibly well researched, enthusiastic and prepared to discuss the women that she sees play.

Yes this is what i like about Sam Smith as well she is a pleasure to listen to and a lot of what she says is interesting.
However i really hope Sue Barker stays for a good few years yet as anchor woman. She is like the face of Wimbledon to me it would be horrible if she left. DON'T GO AUNTIE SUE. :(