PDA

View Full Version : Kvitova playing tennis for 'an hour or so' until the age of 16

FedererBulgaria
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I was like :eek: when i saw that at the age of 16 she played 1hour tennis after school....5 years later she is the one to watch....for example Maria Sharapova started at the age of 4 preparing for real tennis:angel:

Five years ago she was a schoolgirl who would play tennis for an hour after lessons were over for the day. Today, at the age of just 21, Petra Kvitova is Wimbledon champion, hailed as a force who can lead a change in the world order in the women's game.

Kvitova competes in an age when many champions are nurtured and monitored from their earliest days, like tomato plants in a hot-house. Maria Sharapova, beaten 6-3, 6-4 by the Czech in Saturday's final, started playing tennis aged four, was identified by Martina Navratilova as a special talent at six and moved with her father to Nick Bollettieri's academy in Florida at nine. Visa restrictions and family finances meant the Russian was separated from her mother for the next two years.

Compare that with Kvitova's upbringing in Fulnek, where her father, a former teacher, is the deputy mayor. Nearly 200 miles east of Prague, the town has a population of just 6,000.

independent.co.uk/

GAGAlady
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I was like :eek: when i saw that at the age of 16 she played 1hour tennis after school....5 years later she is the one to watch....for example Maria Sharapova started at the age of 4 preparing for real tennis:angel:

And?? Just because most of the tennis players start young, does not always mean you have to. There are so many talented teenagers out there who start later in the game.

Its probably easier to learn technique and proper form when your 4 but i never believed that was the key...to be great you have to have #1) passion....number 2) hard work and patience and 3) killer instinct...none of these skills are dependant on a person age...those are skills you can build as well as skills that are never learned so much as you alread have them in you.

Kvitova abviously didnt need much to get her there.

Matej
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Source:
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/skodadriver-kvitova-makes-fast-progress-to-conquer-sharapova-2306313.html

"There is nothing special there (Note: in Fulnek where Petra lives / comes from)," Kvitova said. "We have four tennis courts, one football ground and a castle. Until I was 16 I only played for an hour or an hour-and-a-half after school. I didn't have any sparring partners. I just played with my two brothers and my parents. I didn't think that I could be a tennis player. My father was my coach until I was 16 or 17. My parents then encouraged me to move to Prostejov, where I saw people like Tomas Berdych practising."

GAGAlady
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I know for me i never played seriously till i was 15 and thats whe i started playing tournaments in Canada, now im teaching tennis privately and still competing...in fact i work with Rebecca Marino and i know for a fact she wasnt hardcore until she herself was 14/15....

Valupatitta
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:04 PM
she is obviously really talented, unlike our number 1 player :)

Mike_T
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Kvitova at the age of 16- didnt play tennis at allShe was having too much fun with the under-12 boys football team :tape:

FedererBulgaria
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
She was having too much fun with the under-12’s boys football team :ignore:

I changed it :drool:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:10 PM
wow some players started tennis at a very young age and reached their peak around their 20s, and by mid-20s they'll usually burnt out by then. Petra only started playing during her teen years and she already won a slam by then. I think her best is yet to come.:unsure: :scared:

tennisfan5
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:11 PM
that's really impressive!

FORZA SARITA
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:17 PM
She was having too much fun with the under-12 boys football team :tape:

:lol:

Excelscior
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:20 PM
that's really impressive!

To be fair. The Czech system does give her/them a good foundation and the basics (though she was learning in a sleepy small town with her father as coach and her brothers as playing partners).

But absolutely incredible, that she didn't take up the sport in earnest, until 16-17. What's even more crazy, she didn't meet her current coach, David Koytza (he's a good one), till 2.5 years ago.

He said when he met her, that her game was uneven, but her mind, determination and ability to indentify her own desires, skills, weaknesses and goals in tennis were incredible!! He was impressed, and knew she had the mind of a champion.

Just check "articles" in her subforum to read some of them.

TheHangover
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:21 PM
And?? Just because most of the tennis players start young, does not always mean you have to. There are so many talented teenagers out there who start later in the game.

Its probably easier to learn technique and proper form when your 4 but i never believed that was the key...to be great you have to have #1) passion....number 2) hard work and patience and 3) killer instinct...none of these skills are dependant on a person age...those are skills you can build as well as skills that are never learned so much as you alread have them in you.

Kvitova abviously didnt need much to get her there.

Thet's not the point, the point is that if she is at this point playing for fun until 16, imagine where she would be if she would have started to play seriously for example at 10 years, because we all know that talent is important, but practice is equally important especially in tennis where you have adjust your shots till the perfection and this need time! plus she would be probably more fit than she is now.
This means that she can really improve in the next months/years

Corswandt
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:22 PM
i work with Rebecca Marino and i know for a fact she wasnt hardcore until she herself was 14/15....

14/15 y.o.... Not sure if Laura would approve.

http://images.teamtalk.com/08/09/800x600/Laura-Robson-woe-Shrewsbury-2008_1232535.jpg

Corswandt
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:24 PM
imagine where she would be if she would have started to play seriously for example at 10 years

She'd probably have picked a lot of bad habits. I'm coming to the conclusion that Juniors are a bad school for most players.

FORZA SARITA
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM
She'd probably have picked a lot of bad habits. I'm coming to the conclusion that Juniors are a bad school for most players.

this :facepalm:
just look at the new russian generation and Babos :o

theFutureisNow
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM
This has got to be terrible news to all those tennis parents who start training their kids at 5. If you start at an early age then I think your theoretical peak might be slightly higher due to windows of learning. However, no amount of extra practice will be able to make up for a lack of innate talent beyond a certain point.

This article is good news and bad news for Kvitova's opponents.

Good news- Practice might be significantly overrated. It's possible that Kvitova is close to her peak.
Bad news-Kvitova has had relatively little experience and a frightening rate of improvement (62nd to 34th to 2nd). She could get even better than she is now.

TheHangover
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:30 PM
or maybe she would have done like hingis! we'll never know

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Thet's not the point, the point is that if she is at this point playing for fun until 16, imagine where she would be if she would have started to play seriously for example at 10 years, because we all know that talent is important, but practice is equally important especially in tennis where you have adjust your shots till the perfection and this need time! plus she would be probably more fit than she is now.

How do you know playing full time at a young age, with the possibility of losing interest/burning out early would have been beneficial. Different things work for people, and so far I rather like the way the path her family chose worked out for her.

EDIT: Post above :drool:

Ciarán
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:34 PM
That just goes to show how talented she is :eek: I remember a few years ago Dushevina said (as a pro) she only practiced 2-3 times a week :sobbing: It's so sad, cuz if she practiced more she could be a solid top 30 player (or more):tears:

davidmario
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:36 PM
she started playing professional junior tournaments on a regular base when she was 14 though.

Matej
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:36 PM
this :facepalm:
just look at the new russian generation and Babos :o

Or Plíškova(s) sisters? :)

Apoleb
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:38 PM
1h/1h30 every day isn't a little tennis. :lol:

I'm sure nobody has done experiments on this. It would be more impressive if she picked up tennis late. Is there any mention on when she started playing tennis?

GAGAlady
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:43 PM

Petra Just won Wimbledon...she is a grand slam champion/ i dont think your argument of "she wuld be better if...so and so hd more practice" makes too much sence.

Darlin its not about practice...its about TALENT PASSION AND ABILITY...and of which you cannot practice...i dont care if u practice 1000000000 forhands and 100000000000XXXX backhands...none of this means shit and will never win u wimbledon....trust me honey...majority of these girls will never do what Petra did...and she showed u dont need to practice from the age of 4 to be a champion...and that is a great thing for boys and girls anywhere to see...so many people out there rule themselves out because idiots in tennis make ridiculous comments like "your too old" "you cant do it...your 11"

dont listen to them i say...u want to make it? listen to youself and work your ass off...:wavey:

Novichok
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:44 PM
1h/1h30 every day isn't a little tennis. :lol:

I'm sure nobody has done experiments on this. It would be more impressive if she picked up tennis late. Is there any mention on when she started playing tennis?

People here are acting as if she just started playing tennis at 16. I'm pretty sure she (or anyone) wouldn't be a slam winner if she had started tennis at 16.

Matej
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:45 PM
she started playing professional junior tournaments on a regular basis when she was 14 though.

She started palying international junior tournaments in 2005 and she achieved some degree of success only in the period between july 2006 and july 2007 (she basically stopped playing junior tournaments at that point).
http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/activity.asp?player=100075246

18majors
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Petra is naturally gifted.

moby
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:54 PM
It's how you practice and not just how much you practice.

Jimmy Connors was famous for practicing an hour a day, but those who watched him practice claimed that it was the most intense hour of practice they had ever seen. If you don't fuck around and know what you need to improve and focus on that, then an hour or two is plenty. If you practice a lot and don't have the right fitness, you'll probably end up compensating for your fatigue with poor technique and end up developing bad habits.

G.H Hardy (a mathematician) used to do math no more than 4 hours a day (compared to many top mathematicians who work 10+ hours). He would work in the morning and spend the rest of the day watching cricket or playing tennis (expected, since there's some suspicion that he was gay.)

And so on.

Besides, she never said when she started playing tennis. I suspect most players do not become super-serious in their training until they are 11 or 12 anyway.

BartoLiNa
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Talent will out.

Ryusuke Tenma
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:59 PM
she is obviously really talented, unlike our number 1 player :)
Wozniacki is incredibly talented, actually.

macginity
Jul 5th, 2011, 06:45 PM
It's not the first case in womens tennis of a "late player". Petkovic said that she only started to play tennis in order to be a tennis player after she finished high school. Of course that they didn't first have a tennis racquet in their hands at that time, probably they played tennis since they were kids, but not taking too seriously as other players. It worked for them.

But at the same time we can't say that this is the new deal and everybody should start late. We have the cases of players who left home at an early age in order to get better training conditions (like Sharapova and Azarenka). I'm not quite sure that they would be that good today if they hadn't started that early.

I think that both "methods" have their pros and cons.

Zébulon
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I like the fact that she was a teenager when she started serious training, not a little kid still in little school.

Raiden
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I like the fact that she was a teenager when she started serious trainingWhich is a good thing: it means that Kvitova's formative years were spent in in a normal environment (and not in an isolated bubble surrounded by dozens of palm trees and hard-courts where a cacophony of mass shreaking reverberated all morning, noon and afternoon.

tonybotz
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:38 PM
i think Pierce starting playing seriously at age 13. there is no age limit on talent. john isner didn't commit to tennis until his late teens. so to all you kids out there, THERE IS HOPE! talent does not have an expiration date.

Wimbledon9
Jul 5th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Martina Navratilova in winter could only play 1 or 2 hours indoors in a week. What is it with these Czechs.

RenaSlam.
Jul 5th, 2011, 10:17 PM
That's ridiculous.

Tennis Fool
Jul 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM
And just think-- Agassi's father made him hit 1000 balls a day at the age of 7 :help:

Aaron.
Jul 5th, 2011, 10:37 PM
And just think-- Agassi's father made him hit 1000 balls a day at the age of 7 :help: There is more depth in the ATP :shrug:

KapitalL
Jul 5th, 2011, 10:53 PM
If that's true it's kind of depressing cause it really, really speaks a lot about the competition, commitment and depth on the wta, and it doesn't say anything admirable.

So 5 years of serious training to win Wimbledon? That's ridiculous any way you look at it, talented or not, there isn't a mens (elite or at least semi-competitive) pro sport in which you could achieve anything that comes close to that.

What are all these other girls doing :rolleyes:

Direwolf
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Who the HELL plays tennis for only "AN HOUR"????

Rainie Conner
Aug 7th, 2011, 02:48 PM
And I only smoked 20 a day until I was 18, what's her point?

matty
Aug 7th, 2011, 04:37 PM
wow some players started tennis at a very young age and reached their peak around their 20s, and by mid-20s they'll usually burnt out by then. Petra only started playing during her teen years and she already won a slam by then. I think her best is yet to come.:unsure: :scared:

just curious--where does it say she just started playing in her teens?

Not that she's at the same caliber as Petra, but I heard Coco Vanderwege didn't pick up a racquet until age 11, which is pretty late and Janokovic started at 9. Of course Jankovic went to Bollietteri at a relatively young age (early teens?)

matty
Aug 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Who the HELL plays tennis for only "AN HOUR"????

No, it says she played for an hour or so after lessons. That could add up to 3 or more hours a day. Which is still not much. There is a 13 year old from one of our local clubs that just won the national under 14 clay tournament, but she was being homeschooled at age 10 and playing 3+ hours a day. I heard from a club mom that the USTA scooped her up and is paying for to go to an academy in Florida.

HeySafZvoneRenka
Aug 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM
i think Petra starting to take tennis seriously at 16 is perfect timing, it couldnt be any better to be honest.........plus she was probably outta high school by then and jus maybe thought "well i could really get more into tennis since i like it so much so what better time to do it right after high school, no biggy"! plus practicing only 1 or 2hrs is find i mean it shouldnt take you that long to get into the surface, and besides no one should beat themselves up for so many hours it just too overrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think what Petra did was smart thinking and thats why she is where she is NOW:angel: :angel: :angel: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Witch-king
Aug 7th, 2011, 05:52 PM
i'm sure everyone will blame playing tennis for 'an hour or so' until the age of 16 when she inevitably starts to slump

The Witch-king
Aug 7th, 2011, 05:57 PM
If that's true it's kind of depressing cause it really, really speaks a lot about the competition, commitment and depth on the wta, and it doesn't say anything admirable.

So 5 years of serious training to win Wimbledon? That's ridiculous any way you look at it, talented or not, there isn't a mens (elite or at least semi-competitive) pro sport in which you could achieve anything that comes close to that.

remember when Monfils walked in and won a paddle tennis tourny :lol:

vixter
Aug 7th, 2011, 07:26 PM

It's not depressing it just means she is talented. It doesn't say anything about the other girls on tour.

And as previously stated, we still don't know when she started playing tennis. 1 hour a day of training is not a little.

Serenita
Aug 7th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Very talented young lady.

sammy01
Aug 7th, 2011, 07:42 PM
i have been told that kvitova was useless around that age by a player/friend i know that beat her when she was 16. kvitova was almost a joke at that age and none of the girls her age rated her at all.

KapitalL
Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:45 PM
It's not depressing it just means she is talented. It doesn't say anything about the other girls on tour.

And as previously stated, we still don't know when she started playing tennis. 1 hour a day of training is not a little.

Well it all depends on you perception of how far can talent alone take you.
I look at it this way...there are thousands or better hundreds of thousands young girls picking up a racquet at a very young age, a lot of them being pushed to work really hard, and there comes a girl who starts serious training at 16 and in 5 years time makes the top 10. If you don't see my point here than we'll never agree, in my opinion you rate talent very high.

If I work hard at something for 15 years and then get bested by someone who's been in it only 3,4 or 5 years ok, maybe I suck, and the other guy/girl is really good and talented. But if there are thousands of girls like me and almost all of them get bested by Kvitova than something is wrong with this picture. Just talent? I can't accept that.

@little levity
Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
I saw this interview with Petra Kvitova. I just love her lackadaisical approach, for me it's so refreshing.