PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most boring part of the tennis year ?

sesilfan
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:28 PM
so many MM events and so many not so good players because others are resting...

SHILIN-GOAT
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:29 PM
the world #1 is not resting ... what more do you want :shrug:

sesilfan
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:31 PM
wozniacki is one of the most boring player ...I am sure many will agree

wildemu
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I always found the most boring part to be right after U.S Open. I don't get into tennis again until they play in doha/istanbul for the top 8.

razzer
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:33 PM
why the need for caro bashing even though the topic is not clearly about her

Jimmie48
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:34 PM

Because this is what GM is about, plain at simple. People can't help themselves.

To answer the question, yes, this is the most boring part of the year for sure, over a month without any significant tournament.

nevetssllim
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:35 PM
No, this part of the year is probably the best for live-streamed tournaments. :lol:

Natash.
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:36 PM
No, this part of the year is probably the best for live-streamed tournaments. :lol:

Exactly :shrug: And getting to see players you've seen played before.

Daniela-Is-Mine
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:36 PM

:worship: Agreed. I find this far more refreshing. New faces, old faces. A little bit of everything at beautiful venues.

sesilfan
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Exactly :shrug: And getting to see players you've seen played before.
true that :d

SVK
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Oh, how many threads about this were created...:p

Yes if you are interested just in TOP players and most important tournaments like GS or Mandantory events or your fave is one of the best player in the world. Most of them is resting or playing just one tournament...absolutely OK, why you would watch tennis you are not interested in?!

No if you actually likes to watch some new faces, lower ranked players, donīt care about quality or you have faves also in the lower positions. Every tournament has a stream, you can watch even qualies often.
As I belong here, thatīs the best part of the seasson for me, the second peak is at European indoor seasson(if we still could call that European indoor seasson:tape:)

Valupatitta
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Oh, how many threads about this were created...:p

Yes if you are interested just in TOP players and most important tournaments like GS or Mandantory events or your fave is one of the best player in the world. Most of them is resting or playing just one tournament...absolutely OK, why you would watch tennis you are not interested in?!

No if you actually likes to watch some new faces, lower ranked players, donīt care about quality or you have faves also in the lower positions. Every tournament has a stream, you can watch even qualies often.
As I belong here, thatīs the best part of the seasson for me, the second peak is at European indoor seasson(if we still could call that European indoor seasson:tape:)

i thought caroline was number 1 :sobbing::sobbing:

Jimmie48
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:48 PM

Are you really that desperate? Geez...

SVK
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:50 PM

Read the first part:p Most of them is resting or playing just one tournament also Vera is playing Baku...maybe:p

Corswandt
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:28 PM
It's good if you're nerdy enough to be interested in midranked players, and/or have a lot of free time to follow hours of livestreams of bad clay matches.

SVK
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM
It's good if you're nerdy enough to be interested in midranked players, and/or have a lot of free time to follow hours of livestreams of bad clay matches.

Thatīs the factor which plays a huge role. And the schedule is that brilliant that if you are really bored already by this horror you have still lovely grass in Newport at evening and Davis Cup in the weekend of the first week. I believe just the second week is pure clay...but it doesnīt matter for me actually, the fact there are much more lower ranked player is enough. Thatīs like with ice hockey WCH, why you would watch some predictable matches and the same teams fighting for medals when you have lovely relegation group with full of drama?:p

miffedmax
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I think there are some other bits that are as bad or worse--some of the winter, and after the US Open. It's not that long until the US Open series gets into swing.

18majors
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Yes.

Maria rocks
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Thats a bit harsh!!! I do think the amount of tournaments she plays in is what is stopping her winning a major though. She played Brussels a week before Wimbledon which is Crazy.

Corswandt
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I think there are some other bits that are as bad or worse--some of the winter, and after the US Open. It's not that long until the US Open series gets into swing.

I know that, for Merkins, the season ends at the USO, but the period after the US Open actually featured some of the very best TV coverage of the season for us Euros before the fall Euro indoor season was dismantled to make room for East Asian money.

Granted, even back in 2005 it coincided with the particularly depressing final stretch of the Grand Hogging Derby to reach the YEC (with Schnyder hogging like crazy, slamless Davenport securing year end #1, Lena D. killing herself to get to the YEC only to reach it completely burnt out, etc.), but the quality of the tennis being played was surprisingly good - the ice rinks in use at the time helped.

Maria rocks
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Nope 9 weeks yesterday:) I can't wait:)

C. Drone
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:07 PM
2 slams in the last months. Of course these weeks are "boring".
you'll scratch the walls in the offseason.

SHILIN-GOAT
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:07 PM

alot of players are skipping Stanford / San Diego so it is 5 weeks until they play in Toronto :sad:

Corswandt
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:11 PM
2 slams in the last months. Of course these weeks are "boring".
you'll scratch the walls in the offseason.

Back during the 2010-2011 offseason, for the first time since I began following tennis again I wasn't really looking forward to the new season. That jadedness remained in place during the first few days of 2011. But one Saturday I woke up earlier than I expected to, dragged myself to my PC and noticed that the Brisbane final would soon start streaming.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

C. Drone
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Back during the 2010-2011 offseason, for the first time since I began following tennis again I wasn't really looking forward to the new season. That jadedness remained in place during the first few days of 2011. But one Saturday I woke up earlier than I expected to, dragged myself to my PC and noticed that the Brisbane final would soon start streaming.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

yup, much easier being excited when the inner *cough* fanboy *cough* gets some perks. :)

Corswandt
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:35 PM
yup, much easier being excited when the inner *cough* fanboy *cough* gets some perks. :)

It had more to do with the spectacular "highlights reel" tennis I saw than with liking the player on the winning side that day.

leftyness
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Nope 9 weeks yesterday:) I can't wait:)

9 weeks yesterday will be the 2nd Monday of the USO. Too much excitment, not enough calendar, perhaps?:)

C. Drone
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:47 PM
It had more to do with the spectacular "highlights reel" tennis I saw than with liking the player on the winning side that day.

"highlight reel" fan :cool:

darrinbaker00
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:26 PM
If you think this is the most boring part of the tennis year, then I have a suggestion for you: GO OUT AND PLAY THE GAME YOURSELF. Tennis was, is, and always will be more of a participatory sport than a spectator sport.

Akaniero
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:33 PM
That's incorrect. Wozniacki is in no way boring.

Siderophyre
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:48 PM
That's incorrect. Wozniacki is in no way boring.

Um, are you watching her play Alize Cornet right now? :yawn:

To be fair - it's improved in the 2nd set...

Certinfy
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Hell no. After the US Open tennis is pretty much completely dead, the only thing worth of any note is the YEC and WTF.

Corswandt
Jul 5th, 2011, 09:40 PM
"highlight reel" fan :cool:

I initially thought of just saying "ownage" instead of "highlights reel tennis".

Sammo
Jul 5th, 2011, 09:54 PM
No, you get to see sucky players you've never seen before and check by yourself how much they suck

longtin23
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Nope. Just have a chance to watch live tennis about how the lower ranked player play tennis. It's quite good, I mean not many excitments, but worth to watch and enjoy...

lupojohn
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Thatīs the factor which plays a huge role. And the schedule is that brilliant that if you are really bored already by this horror you have still lovely grass in Newport at evening and Davis Cup in the weekend of the first week. I believe just the second week is pure clay...but it doesnīt matter for me actually, the fact there are much more lower ranked player is enough. Thatīs like with ice hockey WCH, why you would watch some predictable matches and the same teams fighting for medals when you have lovely relegation group with full of drama?:p

I enjoy watching Newport. Harrison and Dimitrov are playing there, so the young guns are in that, plus Andre's going in on Saturday(no one mentions that).

envy99_2000
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:53 AM
very true..

gc-spurs
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:42 AM
If you think this is the most boring part of the tennis year, then I have a suggestion for you: GO OUT AND PLAY THE GAME YOURSELF. Tennis was, is, and always will be more of a participatory sport than a spectator sport.

But its rainy, freezing and windy. What sucks about this part of the season is that it coincides with the winter blues.

propi
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I:hearts: Post Wimby Euroclay season :cheer:
The whole rest of the year is full of boring hard court tournaments :ras:

The Kaz
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I:hearts: Post Wimby Euroclay season :cheer:
The whole rest of the year is full of boring hard court tournaments :ras:

IKR :o

I hate the US swing that is most boring part of the season for me :tape:.... I don't want this the Euroclay MM swing to end :sad: I'm really enjoying it so far :D

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Dear God Estrella Cabeza and Eva Birnerova SUCK

Andy.
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:52 PM
YES and YES!!! I really dont understand why this part of the season exists. It doesnt make sence and I feel like its a waste of time. I know the players need rest after Wimbledon but only very few make it deep into the draw. They could put Fed Cup the week after and then maybe a small US Hardcourt event the week after that eg; Washington. Stanford could then be the week after that. They could also use this time to add to the off season or add to the grass season (obviously adding a week before Wimbledon not after).

The Kaz
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:46 PM
YES and YES!!! I really dont understand why this part of the season exists. It doesnt make sence and I feel like its a waste of time. I know the players need rest after Wimbledon but only very few make it deep into the draw. They could put Fed Cup the week after and then maybe a small US Hardcourt event the week after that eg; Washington. Stanford could then be the week after that. They could also use this time to add to the off season or add to the grass season (obviously adding a week before Wimbledon not after).

It gives the players and spectators ears time to recover from all the shrieking and screaming that Maria does to put players off when she plays at FO and Wimby :tape:

melodynelson
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:55 PM
IKR :o

I hate the US swing that is most boring part of the season for me :tape:.... I don't want this the Euroclay MM swing to end :sad: I'm really enjoying it so far :D

Do you do anything other than whine about how awful the US and everything that comes from there is, the players from the Americas and just how overall disagreeable you find everything in general? People whine about kman--you are absolutely no better. Congratulations.

This part of the year is just fine. Clay and grass are always the most exciting parts of the year, plus it's jam packed with the most non stop continual tennis. I also happen to not be a major fan of these hardcourt tournaments (just not a surface I like much, and in recent years has been dominated by subpar players like Chakvetadze, Wozniacki, Zvonareva, although it was nice seeing Dementieva win the USO series), so these clay events are a nice little epilogue of it all.

serenaforever
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I was never a fan of anything after USO. Other than YEC.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Its a little like December. No Premiers, then a few weeks of Premiers (less in Jan), then a major, and no major after that for a long time.
But there could be a YE #1 race, and the 6-12 spots looking for a YEC spot after the USO.

Comebacksova
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I always don't like this part of the year. They should play Fed Cup instead. :o

Tennis Ball
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Yes.

We have to wait so long for the next slam :sad:

I always don't like this part of the year. They should play Fed Cup instead. :o

good idea!

bobito
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:22 PM

Of course it's about her. It's got the word "boring" in the title hasn't it? :rolls:

18majors
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
It's a waiting period but hopefully our favorites will get better once the wait is over.

DeliriousPotato
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I agree that it's boring, mostly because expectations over the US Open Series are building up.
Also, it feels like these clay tournaments were all put in these weeks because they were not relevant and good enough to be put into the regular European clay court season :lol:

SHILIN-GOAT
Jul 8th, 2011, 09:33 PM
this part of season :help:

can't bring myself to be interest now that Princess Caro is gone :sad:

Double Fault
Jul 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I am quite enjoying watching the Budapest & Bastad tournaments.

T_P
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I hate those crappy tournaments :mad: These are the only weeks of the year I haven't got anything to do and could be watching tennis all day.

darrinbaker00
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I hate those crappy tournaments :mad: These are the only weeks of the year I haven't got anything to do and could be watching tennis all day.

Allow me to repeat myself: if you think this is the most boring part of the tennis year, then I have a suggestion for you: GO OUT AND PLAY THE GAME YOURSELF. Tennis was, is, and always will be more of a participatory sport than a spectator sport.

For those of you who live Down Under, I understand it's hard to get out and play now, because our summer is your winter. Now you know how many of us Yanks feel during the Australian Open. ;)