PDA

View Full Version : NY Daily News Article: Women's Tennis Is Boring No One Is Dominating

Morrissey
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Women's tennis lacks identity after Petra Kvitova takes Wimbledon, U.S. men's outlook bleak, too

FILIP BONDY

Tuesday, July 5th 2011, 4:00 AM

WIMBLEDON - Not long after Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic was parading his trophy aloft around the All England Club grounds, the crowd departed the place and made its way toward the underground station in Southfields. And there walking along the sidewalk in the opposite direction, back toward the tennis grounds, was Petra Kvitova, the women's champion.

Kvitova strolled past these alleged experts on the sport, incognito.

Nobody recognized her until, finally, one man said, "Wasn't that the winner?"

There, in a two-paragraph nutshell, is the state of men's and women's tennis at the moment. The men are enjoying an orderly succession at the top of their tour, where Novak Djokovic has clambered to the summit and turned the Dynastic Duo of Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer into a ruling troika.

The women, meanwhile, are in an utter state of chaos, as their tour heads onto the hard courts and toward Flushing Meadows in August for the U.S. Open. The new rankings came out Monday, shedding absolutely no light on anything.

The top-ranked woman, Caroline Wozniacki, has not won a single major and the same can be said for two others ranked in the top four, Vera Zvonareva and Victoria Azarenka. Serena Williams, Kim Clijsters and Venus Williams - arguably the three best players in the sport - are all injured or coming off long layoffs. Serena dropped 150 places in the rankings this week, to 175th, creating a seedings nightmare for event organizers.

Six different women have reached the finals of the three majors this year, with three different champions. Only a well-meaning spin artist like Martina Navratilova - who says fans come to see the men and leave talking about the women - imagines any merit in all this.

"Right now it's hard to compare," Navratilova said. "Obviously the guys have the upper hand. They have four huge superstars (including Andy Murray) playing at the same time. You have two of the greatest players of all time playing at the same time. It pales.

"With the women, we've lost our biggest names," she said. "They're not playing for one reason or another. That being said, it's about quality, not quantity. I think the women are coming through pretty nicely. Nobody really grabbed that No. 1 ranking, so we'll see what happens the rest of the year."

For now, everybody awaits the ascension of the next great woman multi-champion, who has yet to reveal herself. This represents one of the longest periods of stalled evolution in memory. In the recent past, we've seen Navratilova and Chris Evert give way to Steffi Graf and Monica Seles, who eventually were surpassed by Martina Hingis and the Williams sisters.

"I don't want to anoint anybody here," Navratilova said. "That would be putting a lot of pressure on somebody. I don't want to take attention away from the players coming through. But there is a good batch now.

"They're good athletes, strong and healthy and hungry. They're very positive. I love the attitude. I wouldn't say anyone."

The men, meanwhile, have suffered no such absence of greatness. The quality of play right now is spectacular, though disheartening for would-be contenders. It is impossible even to imagine an American male winning the U.S. Open by beating the likes of Djokovic, Nadal, Federer and Murray.

If you're looking for the next American contenders, don't bother with the Andy Roddick-Mardy Fish generation on the men's side, or the Melanie Oudin-Bethanie Mattek-Sands group on the women's end. Madison Keys, a 16-year-old girl with considerable athletic talent, appeared the most promising here, barely losing in three sets to eventual Wimbledon junior champion Ashleigh Barty of Australia. In Flushing, look for Bjorn Fratangelo, who won the French Open boys title and skipped Wimbledon.

Are they the next Serena Williams or Roger Federer? Like Navratilova says, anointing anyone would be unfair. It's just that women's tennis is running out of time, and Americans have run out of patience.

Sammo
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Actually it's boring when someone dominates...

Mynarco
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:51 PM
And there walking along the sidewalk in the opposite direction, back toward the tennis grounds, was Petra Kvitova, the women's champion.

:hysteric::sobbing:

eck
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:54 PM
FYI, it's 5 different finalists.

Anyways, the article is true. But whilst the women's singles wasn't of the highest quality, the men's single wasn't that good either. :shrug:

As a whole, the women this year have shown some great tennis at Wimbledon.

currie84
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:56 PM
if there was a woman dominatin and several men winning atp slams the same journalist would blast the Wta for being boring while praising ATP's depth.I bet my house on it.and lmfao at Murray being a superstar and one of the best ever.

jerryxiao1988
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Six different women have reached the finals of the three majors this year, with three different champions.

I reckon there are 5 different finalists instead of six.;)

backhandsmash
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:11 PM
if there was a woman dominatin and several men winning atp slams the same journalist would blast the Wta for being boring while praising ATP's depth.I bet my house on it.and lmfao at Murray being a superstar and one of the best ever.

They have to bitch about something, you know. :)

BepaMaria
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:13 PM
This article can't be more wrong:o. It is interesting if noone is dominating because of the element of surprise. Nobody knows who exactly will win and there is no clear favourite, so this captures peoples' attention to watch women's tennis. On the mens' side, it is just a one man show with Djokovic winning everything and that is absolutely boring:o

Slutiana
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM
FYI, it's 5 different finalists.

Anyways, the article is true. But whilst the women's singles wasn't of the highest quality, the men's single wasn't that good either. :shrug:

As a whole, the women this year have shown some great tennis at Wimbledon.
The men's match was appalling, but as far as the media is concerned, they can do no wrong.

And of course Petra is still unknown to Brits who watch tennis 2 weeks a year. If she keeps on winning then she will soon become more prominent.

Mynarco
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Despite Djokovic Winning Wimbledon, I am far from satisfactory about the Mens final this year. Nadal is fucking HORRIBLE

SVK
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Agree with the first part...and then I saw the second:spit:

Yeah, because itīs very interesting when 4 players are dominating...

Mynarco
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Agree with the first part...and then I saw the second:spit:

Yeah, because itīs very interesting when 4 players are dominating...

Murray against Djokovic/Federer/Nadal is always NID in slams.:yawn:

Jane Lane
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:21 PM
The NY Daily News is a disgrace to journalism. Just so you know. :lol:

tennnisfannn
It wasn't too long ago they were writing the same article when the sisters were dominating, guess domination is good only if a certain duo is not it!
I have enjoyed these last two slams with the most random players gunning for the title.

Kworb
It's not like the ATP is that much better. The men's final was one of the worst in decades. Nadal-Djokovic is a boring "rivalry", with spectators pulling their hair in frustation as Nadal pulls on his underwear and Djokovic bounces the ball for half a minute. Not to mention that Nadal, Djokovic and Murray are much, much less likable than Federer. It's Federer alone who has kept men's tennis alive for all this time. When he is gone, the ATP will be in deep shit, just like the WTA is without the Williams sisters and the Belgians.

Miracle Worker
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:23 PM
As I said few times - we should blame Justine and Serena. Those were last 2 tennis players which dominate.

Mynarco
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:23 PM
As I said few times - we should blame Justine and Serena. Those were last 2 tennis players which dominate.

We should blame Madusah :sobbing:

Excelscior
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Funny! That guy who wrote that article (Filip Bondy), is not even a tennis fan or tennis writer. I wouldn't pay him any mind, and take it with a grain of salt guys.

And then when Clijsters, The Williams Sisters, Woz and Sharapova start competing with Petra on a regular basis, this same dolt will write "Women's Tennis is having a Resurgence during the US Open" this summer, you watch? Lol.

NEXT!

C. Drone
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:35 PM
For now, everybody awaits the ascension of the next great woman multi-champion, who has yet to reveal herself. This represents one of the longest periods of stalled evolution in memory. In the recent past, we've seen Navratilova and Chris Evert give way to Steffi Graf and Monica Seles, who eventually were surpassed by Martina Hingis and the Williams sisters.

what recent past??? thats fuckin 30 years period! Nothing else they can, just using old names? Maybe they should write something more interesting about the players who actually played this year.
Write more about Kvitty, and next time maybe they'll recognize her.

I'm not a fan of "big four" players at all... What i saw was way more dull than womens did over 2 weeks. I don't care quality, its obviously much higher than womens tho, but even Tsonga-Federer made me almost sleep.

Dementinator
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Far more exciting to have different winners, who knows who will win, rather than the usual, Nadal for the FO etc, THAT is boring.

If, and I qoute "Americans are running out of patience" then fuck em, theres a whole world out there outside the USA believe it or not.

I personally do not think Americans are running out of patience alongside any other nation, the guy writing the article is a fully paid up Sausage lover and has little time for the better sex and has no idea what hes on about.

The bints gave us a great Wimb, some excelent matches and it was nice to see a new winner, who knows, Petra may well dominate soon, you haver to start somewhere you know.

The world number one is a tad embarrasing but thats not her fault, the rules need to change and Quality points along with bonuses for slams need to return.

Otherwise, WTA is fine and the guard is changing, dominance is a bore .

True tennis fans do not want nor need it.

keithb1961
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Far more exciting to have different winners, who knows who will win, rather than the usual, Nadal for the FO etc, THAT is boring.

If, and I qoute "Americans are running out of patience" then fuck em, theres a whole world out there outside the USA believe it or not.

I personally do not think Americans are running out of patience alongside any other nation, the guy writing the article is a fully paid up Sausage lover and has little time for the better sex and has no idea what hes on about.

The bints gave us a great Wimb, some excelent matches and it was nice to see a new winner, who knows, Petra may well dominate soon, you haver to start somewhere you know.

The world number one is a tad embarrasing but thats not her fault, the rules need to change and Quality points along with bonuses for slams need to return.

Otherwise, WTA is fine and the guard is changing, dominance is a bore .

True tennis fans do not want nor need it.

I agree completely, except the part of there being anything outside the USA :lol:

Dementinator
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Well, I have been to the USA many many times and always seem to arrive from somewhere :lol:

homogenius
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Mess of an article.Also, whoever wrote that seems much more concerned by the poor state of American tennis than by anything else really.

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:59 PM
There is no womens pro sport even close to the WTA in any way. Interest, revenue, whatever yardstick you use.

And the sport is shaped by the stars. Its an individual sport.
They write movies & books about Borg & McEnroe, not Wilkerson & Solomon.

Right now, 3 different slam winners in 2011, and a 4th player is #1 all year.

But still super successful & thriving.

Beat
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:01 PM
"Women's Tennis Is Boring No One Is Dominating" - that is a paradox if i ever saw one. :rolls:

Raiden
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Funny! That guy who wrote that article (Filip Bondy), is not even a tennis fan or tennis writer. Garbage logic.

You don't have to be a murderer in order to write about murder. The writer can and should write about tennis even if he isn't a "member of the cult".

Like it or not the writer does have a point: and that there is a fractured top tier (with no day in day out year in year out dominating crop of players) there is a discrepancy between who's the best and who is winning, and who's scoring points, and who's fulltime, and parttime and so on. This is a reality. One may or may not want to deal with it, but it remains a reality that WTA and it's defenders cannot deny.

So everyone needs to quit being paranoid that everyone is out to get WTA and act like a crybaby.

Annie.
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:05 PM
First, America doesn't give two shits about tennis. And what they mean by "boring, no on dominating", they really mean no Americans at the top. The only time tennis has decent ratings, for tennis, here in America at least, is when there are Americans playing. If one were to go back and look at the ratings, the highest ratings are still Pete Sampras & the WS. This article is beyond pointless. Actual fans are going to watch no matter what. And trying to entice casual fans seem like a lost cause.

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Garbage logic.

You don't have to be a murderer in order to write about murder.

Like it or not the writer does have a point: and that there is a fractured top tier (with no day in day out year in year out dominating crop of players) there is a discrepancy between who's the best and who is winning, and who's scoring points, and who's fulltime, and parttime and so on. This is a reality. One may or may not want to deal with it, but it remains a reality that WTA and it's defenders cannot deny.

So quit being defensive and paranoid that everyone is out to attack WTA without foundation:lol:There's always these periods where the players who have the best career results start to fall off. The younger players havent done enough yet to be talked about with the older players, but thats normal during a transitional period.

Right now, when you try to rank USO contenders, there are question marks about all of them.

There's no 2007 Henin who is a clear favorite no matter what the draw.

Its not a bad thing, its just that there was a very strong generation that is now getting into their 30's, so this was going to happen.

18majors
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:09 PM
WTA hasn't been more exciting with Petra, Maria, Serena, Clijsters and Na Li are all powerful hitters and serious contenders.

Excelscior
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Garbage logic.

You don't have to be a murderer in order to write about murder. The writer can and should write about tennis even if he isn't a "member of the cult".

So everyone needs to quit being paranoid that everyone is out to get WTA and act like a crybaby.

I think it does. How can you say that?

Cause if you talk to any serious Tennis fan, writer, scout, blogger or coach now, they all feel that Kvitova will/can be the next dominant player. This is not a certainty of course. All we have to do is wait now, to see if that happens? But she definitely has the goods!!!

This writer, cause he lacks tennis insight, just doesn't care or is aware, cause like someone said, he doesn't see any big American rivals on the horizon.

I guarantee you, he also hasn't seen Victoria Azarenka or Sabine Lisicki play either (I'm upgrading Victoria's prospects after her Wimby run and semi-final against Petra)? He want's instant new champions. Does this guy even know where they're coming from? Lol

I say give it 3-6mo to a year, and his analysis can be turned up on its head!!

Coconut91
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I don't like atp precisely because I find it boring. Why do some people assume dominance is the right thing or what we need in order to enjoy tennis?
I hate how people feel the right to judge something they don't even watch and complain when they don't even care about it. Just spare us your stupidity. We all heard that sermon before and it won't stop us from watching wta. God :o

M.P
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Dominating is Boring, when you know Djoovic gonna win everything, Nadal gonna be the runner-up, Federer gonna lose either SF or QF, and Murray had mental problem whch will never solve, only can make SF or Final sometime but never win :lol:

Raiden
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:20 PM
It's not like the ATP is that much better. The men's final was one of the worst in decades. Nadal-Djokovic is a boring "rivalry", with spectators pulling their hair in frustation as Nadal pulls on his underwear and Djokovic bounces the ball for half a minute.No need to exaggerate. The final was exiting but for the wrong reasons (poor tennis and mere "athleticism")

Not to mention that Nadal, Djokovic and Murray are much, much less likable than Federer.That's not a danger to ATP as it survived Sampras :p.

It's Federer alone who has kept men's tennis alive for all this time. When he is gone, the ATP will be in deep shit,We will see if that happens.

I'm not too worried about the consequence that there comes a "decompression perod" after Fed goes away. The current, temporary big 4 "quatropoly" is but a prelude to the era of Delpo.

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I like the current situation because no one knows what will happen.

Can Serena find good form again and go on another run of 5 slams in less than 2 years?
Will be there be a lot of 1st time slam winners who dont repeat it?
Can Sharapova keep improving and take over?
Will 2 or 3 of the younger players take over.
Is there some 16 year old who is close to taking over?

No one has any clue what the next few years are going to be

Excelscior
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:33 PM
If you took Nadal, Djoker and Federer (who's fading, while Murray is a mental midget) out of the top 4, there would be no consistent winners/champions in the ATP either.

Yes, the departure or part time status of Henin, Clijsters and the Williams sisters has impacted it's predictability for writers like this, but I think the prospects of the Williams sisters and Clijsters re-arrival, along with Petra, Woz, Azarenka, Li Na and Sharapova (hope I didn't miss anyone), makes the WTA equally as interesting now/again. I mean this upcoming US open, may be very exciting.

Raiden
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Cause if you talk to any serious Tennis fan, writer, scout, blogger or coach now, they all feel that Kvitova will/can be the next dominant player. This is not a certainty of course. All we have to do is wait now, to see if that happens? But she definitely has the goods!!!But how is that contradicting the article?

Kvitova only won a slam yesterday (so to speak) the article deals with what has been happening for a long time!

I guarantee you, he also hasn't seen Victoria Azarenka or Sabine Lisicki play eitherActually if he had been following those two players, then he might have been even more strengthened in his opinion :lol: cuz those two are prime symbols of WTA's volatility.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
"Women's Tennis Is Boring No One Is Dominating" - that is a paradox if i ever saw one. :rolls:

Absolutely. Even in the very strictest criteria for the word, this most definately qualifies as a paradox.

On one hand the write says the women's game is in a state of chaos because of a lack of stability at the top and on the other hand he says it's boring. Chaos is not boring. Plain and simple.

As to Petra being able to walk amongst the crowd, good. She is an unassuming woman and people are only just getting to know her anyway. I'm not surprised she could walk amongst the crowd without causing alot of attention, with the exception of the big 4 in the men's game, Serena, Venus, Sharapova and a few stars of the past like Navratilova, McEnroe and Henman I doubt very many players would be noticed by the majority of the Wimbledon centre court crowd and most of those who did recognise someone would simply keep it to themselves and not make a fuss. Give it another year and I have no doubt Petra will be a lot more recognized anyway.

Fact is, in women's tennis, no one becomes a huge star prior to winning a Slam, it is only once a player wins a slam that they become a star and even once having won a Slam it takes that success time to filter down to the conscience of the general public.

Raiden
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:47 PM
If you took Nadal, Djoker and Federer (who's fading, while Murray is a mental midget) out of the top 4, there would be no consistent winners/champions in the ATP either.Don't worry about the top 4. It's days are numbered.

Yes, the departure or part time status of Henin, Clijsters and the Williams sisters has impacted it's predictability for writers like this, but I think the prospects of the Williams sisters and Clijsters re-arrival, along with Petra, Woz, Azarenka, Li Na and Sharapova (hope I didn't miss anyone), makes the WTA equally as interesting now/again. I mean this upcoming US open, may be very exciting.USO could indeed be exiting... if only because everyone will be waiting to see who's gonna draw the player currently ranked 175th :lol:

LoLex
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Domination is boring, you know.

ace33
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Yep. It's pathetic but true. About 10 years ago I remember articles about how boring it is watching about 3-5 women trade off slam titles while killing everyone else in the first week and how great the depth of men's game was.
And I'm sorry people may not recognize Petra but I would be shocked if I can find 5 people at work who would know Novak or Andy Murray.

Langers
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Domination is definitely boring. The Federer domination was one of the most boring patches ever. It's only recently when the big 4 has truly emerged (well, Murray technically counts) has seen the tour become truly interesting, because in each Slam any one could win.

However ideally there is something between where the men's is, and where the women's is. Women's is a bit of a joke how there is a different Slam winner each time, and a winner could just as likely not even make the second week in the next Slam.

abi
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I don't see the problem. I love the unpredictability and ridiculous upsets. :angel:

miffedmax
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Here this clown is pontificating about nobody recognizing Petra while he obviously hasn't recognized what kind of year Petra is having.

She's been building up a decent head of steam over the last 12 months and is breaking away from her competitors. She appears to be getting better. Of course, it's too soon to say if she will be a dominant player, but she is starting to show signs of it--if she can avoid injuries. The writer's main problem with her seems to be that she had the nerve to be Czech, not 'merican.

Oh, btw I never did my public mea culpa for predicting Glatch would beat her in the first round. I would appear to have been wrong about that.

Excelscior
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:47 PM
But how is that contradicting the article?

Kvitova only won a slam yesterday (so to speak) the article deals with what has been happening for a long time!

Actually if he had been following those two players, then he might have been even more strengthened in his opinion :lol: cuz those two are prime symbols of WTA's volatility.

Hey Jerry.

I was saying, if he followed the sport well enough, he would recognize Kvitty's talent, and maybe hold off on his article. I mean if she wins the US open in August, he going to still say that/feel that way? Lol.

As far as Vika and Sabine. I know what you mean. But I think Vika accounted for herself well in Wimby (I wasn't always a big fan either); didn't you? Sabine, kinda collapsed at the end in the semi-final, but that doesn't take away from her talent or possible future prospects.

But I get your point. The real question is, "what's in the head?" with these ladies? Lol

bobito
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM
"And there walking along the sidewalk in the opposite direction, back toward the tennis grounds, was Petra Kvitova, the women's champion."

The very fact that she was walking to the grounds rather than being chauffeured or being accompanied by an entourage probably goes some way to explaining why many people didn't recognize her. She has a refreshingly down to Earth attitude.

BartoLiNa
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Nadal/Djokovic was one of the most boring finals in Wimbledon history. The article is BS.

NA-GOAT
Jul 5th, 2011, 06:05 PM
There is no womens pro sport even close to the WTA in any way. Interest, revenue, whatever yardstick you use.

And the sport is shaped by the stars. Its an individual sport.
They write movies & books about Borg & McEnroe, not Wilkerson & Solomon.

Right now, 3 different slam winners in 2011, and a 4th player is #1 all year.

But still super successful & thriving.

you are forgetting that Princess Karolina was knocked out for a week by Kim :wavey:

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2011, 06:09 PM
you are forgetting that Princess Karolina was knocked out for a week by Kim :wavey:I remember it. I thought that showed how tough it is to take #1 away from her.
Kim held 2 majors, YEC, Miami & Cincy.
Caro & Kim won everything over Tier 2 for 9 months.
Kim deserved to reach #1 again.
But you want to be a long term #1 in the WTA, you have to try to take & keep it from Wozniacki, who might wind up being at #1 for one of the longest reigns in history

Apoleb
Jul 5th, 2011, 06:14 PM
:yawn:

Of course men's tennis is amazing, because Nadal/Fed won a gazilion slams, and if they dominate and win so much they must be amazing, because men are just on a totally different level of people and could not be approached for their quality.

kiwifan
Jul 5th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I like the current situation because no one knows what will happen.

Can Serena find good form again and go on another run of 5 slams in less than 2 years?
Will be there be a lot of 1st time slam winners who dont repeat it?
Can Sharapova keep improving and take over?
Will 2 or 3 of the younger players take over.
Is there some 16 year old who is close to taking over?

No one has any clue what the next few years are going to be

The next 2-4 years are wide open.

I'd like to see everyone healthy next Season and I hope there are a couple of new kick ass 16 year olds (don't care what part of the USA they're from :p ); then things should get interesting. :cool:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Actually it's boring when someone dominates...
It isn't if you happen to like that player. :)

But really - they always have something to nag about when it comes to women's tennis. In the days of Chris vs Martina and Steffi vs Seles it was boring because it was too predictable. Now it's boring because it's too unpredictable. If Federer wins 16 slams he's a genius. If Evert wins 18 it's because the competition is no good. There's always something....

Tennis isn't boring (both the men's and women's side are fascinating, and they always have been to those who truly care about the game), but some of those who write about it ARE boring - EXTREMELY boring in fact. If they think women's tennis (or men's for that matter) is boring they are not in a position to write about it. They should write about basketball, golf, boxing or whatever other sport they like better.

Excelscior
Jul 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM
"And there walking along the sidewalk in the opposite direction, back toward the tennis grounds, was Petra Kvitova, the women's champion."

The very fact that she was walking to the grounds rather than being chauffeured or being accompanied by an entourage probably goes some way to explaining why many people didn't recognize her. She has a refreshingly down to Earth attitude.

As far as this writer, Filip Bondy concerned, I find it hard to believe that Petra just wowed 15000 people in the arena, then walked out side and nobody noticed her.

What the hell were they there for then!? Plus, didn't she get a big ass cheer and celebration when she walked out the club doors and held up the Venus Rosewater Dish to cheering throngs of crowds and photographers (with the sidewalks not that far away)? I saw that on TV. So what, the writers mad that she didn't have pre-arranged entourage it seems?

You can't make this stuff up. Smh. What a tool!

In The Zone
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM
:spit: When someone is dominating, it's boring. When someone isn't dominating, it's boring. Shut up!

moby
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:31 PM
WIMBLEDON - Not long after Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic was parading his trophy aloft around the All England Club grounds, the crowd departed the place and made its way toward the underground station in Southfields. And there walking along the sidewalk in the opposite direction, back toward the tennis grounds, was Petra Kvitova, the women's champion.

There, in a two-paragraph nutshell, is the state of men's and women's tennis at the moment. Mountain out of a molehill.

Facts:
1) These are people watching the Wimbledon men's final. A lot of fans of men's tennis don't give a tuppence about women's tennis in the first place.
2) Kvitova is a fairly new face.
3) She was returning to the tennis grounds on Sunday not to play tennis. She was probably there for some administrative or media duties, and so wasn't in her tennis gear. We've already seen how different she looks on and off the court already.

Conclusion:
It shouldn't be surprising that she's wasn't instantly recognisable to the casual tennis fan there for the men's final. They were probably too busy being depressed that they wasted their money on that shitfest. And I'm sure not everyone who recognised her would clamour around her like crazed fans. People can be polite that way.

killerqueen
Jul 5th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, I wish the young top players would step it up, but I'd take an unpredictable tour over a dominated one any-day. I don't understand that logic at all. I find the ATP tour blissfully boring, because you know before any given tournament that the winner is likely to be one of Djokovic, Federer or Nadal.

edificio
Jul 5th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Filip Bondy.

Nuff said.

HippityHop
Jul 5th, 2011, 10:47 PM
It wasn't too long ago they were writing the same article when the sisters were dominating, guess domination is good only if a certain duo is not it!
I have enjoyed these last two slams with the most random players gunning for the title.

Exactly!!!

KBdoubleu
Jul 5th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Ok, so let me get this straight. In the early 2000's when women's tennis was dominated by Venus/Serena/Henin/Clijsters that was called boring. While men's tennis who had slam winners like Johansson and Gaudio was called unpredictable and exciting. Now that women's tennis has surprise grand slam winners the WTA is boring and men's tennis is exciting when it is being dominated by three of four big names....That doesn't quite add up to me.

Solitaire
Jul 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM
This it total BS. When the WTA does have dominate players people bitch and moan how there's no depth. Now that there's depth at the top it's boring WTF? No matter what happens on the WTA it will never be good enough for some people. When male tennis players dominate it's because they are that much better than the rest. When females dominate there's just no depth.:rolleyes:

justineheninfan
Jul 5th, 2011, 11:57 PM
And there walking along the sidewalk in the opposite direction, back toward the tennis grounds, was Petra Kvitova, the women's champion.

Just because she isnt a big star because she is new doesnt mean she isnt a great player who can win many slams. Anyway some great players who won many slams like Henin, Davenport, Clijsters, NEVER became big media stars.

There, in a two-paragraph nutshell, is the state of men's and women's tennis at the moment. The men are enjoying an orderly succession at the top of their tour, where Novak Djokovic has clambered to the summit and turned the Dynastic Duo of Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer into a ruling troika.

True unfortunately the mens game is in a better state than the womens. I dont think the mens game has ever had a stronger top 3 than right now though. The good thing is the womens game is showing signs of progress in recent months.

Serena Williams, Kim Clijsters and Venus Williams - arguably the three best players in the sport - are all injured or coming off long layoffs. Serena dropped 150 places in the rankings this week, to 175th, creating a seedings nightmare for event organizers.

It is hard to say Venus is one of the best at the moment.

Six different women have reached the finals of the three majors this year, with three different champions. Only a well-meaning spin artist like Martina Navratilova - who says fans come to see the men and leave talking about the women - imagines any merit in all this.

"Right now it's hard to compare," Navratilova said. "Obviously the guys have the upper hand. They have four huge superstars (including Andy Murray) playing at the same time. You have two of the greatest players of all time playing at the same time. It pales.

Andy Murray a superstar, LOL! He is the Wozniacki of the ATP minus the #1 ranking.

For now, everybody awaits the ascension of the next great woman multi-champion, who has yet to reveal herself.

That person is Kvitova. Anyone who thinks she isnt going to win multiple majors is delusional or knows nothing about tennis (like the author).

This represents one of the longest periods of stalled evolution in memory. In the recent past, we've seen Navratilova and Chris Evert give way to Steffi Graf and Monica Seles, who eventually were surpassed by Martina Hingis and the Williams sisters.

LOL Hingis and the Williams sisters never surpassed Graf before her retirement. Injuries took Graf down. Graf went 2-1 vs Hingis from 97-99 with all the matches coming in late 98-99 after her major surgery. Venus and Serena were a combined 3-3 vs Graf in 99, with Graf winning her biggest match vs either at Wimbledon. Had she played out the year Graf would have ended the year atleast #3 over both Williams.

Seles yes was surpassed.

"I don't want to anoint anybody here," Navratilova said. "That would be putting a lot of pressure on somebody. I don't want to take attention away from the players coming through. But there is a good batch now.

Wise words.

njnetswill
Jul 6th, 2011, 12:05 AM
It's the daily news you guys, not the NY Times. Not worth commenting on. :yawn:

goldlion
Jul 6th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I'm sure Martina is always referring to Petra as the future top player that she doesn't want to put pressure on her. I mean, who else will it be? Sometimes you don't have to draw the whole thing. But I think Petra should at least show more personality after winning. She is still far away from being a star in tennis to draw TV ratings except her little bark. I personally feel Schiavone is becoming more and more interesting to watch after she won the French Open.

Malkmus_
Jul 6th, 2011, 12:51 AM
I think the WTA is slowly creeping back to the high standards it was at a few years ago. There were some terrific matches at Wimbledon and it's great to see new champions emerging. I just think we need a really good slam final, hopefully at the US Open, to silence the critics. :)

King Halep
Jul 6th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I think the WTA is slowly creeping back to the high standards it was at a few years ago. There were some terrific matches at Wimbledon and it's great to see new champions emerging. I just think we need a really good slam final, hopefully at the US Open, to silence the critics. :)

:lol: :lol: Since when did quality of tennis have anything to do with it? They want people from a certain country winning or the sport is not worth following.

backhandsmash
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:59 PM
:lol: :lol: Since when did quality of tennis have anything to do with it? They want people from a certain country winning or the sport is not worth following.

:yeah:

nelsondan
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM
In the Wimbledon final, Maria just did not have it. Kvitova was more dominant than the score indicated.
But having said that----there was not that much between a really spectacular story. Had Maria won that final,
After the long tortuous struggle to recover, it would have been a huge story---and part of that story is that in the modeling industry, they have mrs. Tom Brady who makes as much as Maria--no one else.

I do not think Maria will win the us open---it would be a great trajectory---4th in Paris, 2nd at Wimbledon, 1st in new York---with the Williams coming back, and all of the younger ones---a grand slam win by Maria would draw a lot of attention to women's tennis.

I do not rule out the possibility.

lupojohn
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I live in NYC, so I read some of Filip's work. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Petra's win changed the dominating part. After she wins 8-10 Slams, I wonder if he'll still think no one is dominating.

JackFrost
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:38 PM
And if one or two players dominate, people cry "Oh, itīs sooo boring. Always the same faces in the finals. The matches until the final are so boring because you know, that the favorite will win easily."

selestribe
Jul 6th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Fact is, in women's tennis, no one becomes a huge star prior to winning a Slam, it is only once a player wins a slam that they become a star and even once having won a Slam it takes that success time to filter down to the conscience of the general public.

Did you hear of Anna Kournikova? :tape: