PDA

View Full Version : The most exciting hardcourt season in a long time?

Matej
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I really can´t wait for the US hardcourt season:

The five best players of this year (Wozniacki, Kvitová, Na Li, Sharapova and Azarenka) are able to play very well on hard courts; it will be interesting to see how successful they will be on the US hard courts this year.

Then there are Serena, Kim and Venus -- will they find their best form on hard courts once again?

Bartoli and Zvonareva are very good hardcourt players as well.

Then you have Petkovic, Shuai Peng, Pavlyuchenkova, Goerges, Wickmayer, Cibulková, Lisicki and Gajdošová ... young players who have had a very good year so far and they can play a good tennis on hard courts, too.

Kuznetsova, Stosur, Jankovic, Radwanska and Ivanovic -- the experienced players who had good results on hard courts in the past ... how will they fare on US hard courts this year?

The always dangerous Hantuchová who has had a great year so far.

Will the forever looming Šafářová bitterly dissappoint her fans once again? :) or :(

All in all, we can expect a great hardcourt season this year, I think (or rather - I hope). :worship: :bounce:

Ryan
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:16 AM
I just hope it lives up to the potential! Lets have all these girls play the big tournaments and stay HEALTHY; and we're definitely going to have some awesome matches.

melodynelson
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:58 AM
I anticipate when Wozniacki wins everything in sight it's because of the fact she beat no one and only had weak competition (zero top ten, no slam champs, etc etc, only beat up on Radwanska and Azarenka).

The people are no different than last year, and it was pretty uncompetitive last year.

The US series hasn't been interesting in years, IMO, with players' morale and incentives lower for these non-slam events and burn out high, or just not playing at all.

But if players I like win the events and Wozniacki loses early then I'll change my mind and say it was high quality, NID and competition's never been better.

In The Zone
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:59 AM
It will finally be interesting because Serena and Venus will care about the warmup events in order to be fine tuned for the Open. Can't wait.

SHILIN-GOAT
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:45 AM
yes it will be interesting ... can decide the next WTA #1 :eek:

Potato
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Shushu is kind of a veteran, she's been here for a while now :P

We'll see how Na does on the quick hard court as opposed to the slow that she's had success on.

LoLex
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:55 AM
yes it will be interesting ... can decide the next WTA #1 :eek:

Not SEWTA anymore? I thought you got used to this. Even when the Oriflame came as a new sponsor.

Matej
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I anticipate when Wozniacki wins everything in sight it's because of the fact she beat no one and only had weak competition (zero top ten, no slam champs, etc etc, only beat up on Radwanska and Azarenka).

The people are no different than last year, and it was pretty uncompetitive last year.

The US series hasn't been interesting in years, IMO, with players' morale and incentives lower for these non-slam events and burn out high, or just not playing at all.

But if players I like win the events and Wozniacki loses early then I'll change my mind and say it was high quality, NID and competition's never been better.

Well, Kvitová, Azarenka, Sharapova and Na Li seem to have better form than last year; Venus and Serena didn´t play hardcourt tournaments after Wimbledon last year (well, Venus played just at the US Open).

And Petkovic, Pavlyuchenkova, Goerges, Wickmayer and Lisicki definitely stepped it up compared to the last year.

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I think its going to be interesting but most of TF views the rest of the year as 1 result at 1 tournament in NY. Who wins USO.

But I expect a lot of good matches at a lot of tournaments

Corswandt
Jul 5th, 2011, 10:14 AM
The US Open Series™ is going to suck balls as always, with only the usual hoggers and vultures bothering to put in best effort before the USO. The objective of everybody else will be just to reach the USO uninjured and in good enough form.

The sisters no longer having a lock on the English Open and therefore it being now open to other contenders has fundamentally changed the dynamics of the season. The US Open Series™ already got the short end of the stick even before this, and it will only get worse from now on.

Aaron.
Jul 5th, 2011, 10:32 AM
It will finally be interesting because Serena and Venus will care about the warmup events in order to be fine tuned for the Open. Can't wait. Venus playing one tournament = caring about warm up events? :lol:

pedropt
Jul 5th, 2011, 10:46 AM
It only shows how relevant are the WS for the tour. I personally think I wouldn't be that excited without them playing. And it will be funny to see them looming and kicking butt :dance:

Sam L
Jul 5th, 2011, 11:26 AM
It only shows how relevant are the WS for the tour. I personally think I wouldn't be that excited without them playing. And it will be funny to see them looming and kicking butt :dance:
That's exactly what I'm thinking.

I too think this will be an exciting season.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 5th, 2011, 11:27 AM
it can get any worse from last year so hope for some exciting matches :awww:

LoLex
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Last year it was boring as hell. The only match that is worth to remember was the final between Sharapova and Clijsters in Cincy.

Imperfect Angel
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Last year it was boring as hell. The only match that is worth to remember was the final between Sharapova and Clijsters in Cincy.

I only remember the final of Masha vs Vika in somewhere (Stanford?).:lol: or did it happen? or was it two years ago? :haha:
I predict Caroline will win all bar one event she joins.:cheer:

LoLex
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I only remember the final of Masha vs Vika in somewhere (Stanford?).:lol: or did it happen? or was it two years ago? :haha:

Yeah, I remember this too. It was in Stanford. Masha hit that ridiculous serve.

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I think after the USO will be even better.
The race to the YEC, and maybe a race for YE #1

Break My Rapture
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:24 PM
With so many good players looming (depending if they give a fuck) the early round matches between them and the top players they'll draw in say R1 will probably be the best matches as always, and we will not be able to see them because of the non-existent TV coverage.

Corswandt
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Pretty much. The question is who will play the bridesmaid. Probably one of the usual suspects like Zvonareva.

SHILIN-GOAT
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:19 PM
the whole concept of the USO Series sucks :help:

last year Kim won the Series winning one tournament :facepalm:

Valanga
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Excit-what?
Caroline wins USO series and bombs out early in US Open

18majors
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Yes, especially with Maria back in contention.