PDA

View Full Version : We have a lot to be pleased with...

Mikey B
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Dear SS fans

I havent posted on here for almost a year, but I have still been following Maria throughout and I just wanted to express my thoughts and feelings about Maria's recent activity.

Aside from the initial disappointment that follows one of Maria's losses I realise that we fans have so much to be proud of and so much to look forward to.

The first half of 2011 has gone by and we have to admit that Maria is having her best season in years, if not one of her best seasons of all time. Of course we fans, like Maria are perfectionists and are always looking for the best; where she made a semi final we wished she made the final, where she lost in the final we wish she won the title!! But the fact that she is at the back end of big tournaments consistently again is something to cheer about in itself. If at the end of 2010 someone told us we were looking forward to a SF in Indian Wells, a RUP in Miami, a title win in Rome, SF at the French and a RUP at Wimbledon I don't think many of us would have believed it!

Obviously this success is hugely due to the addition of a new coach. I find this so exciting for us fans as Maria is only 7 months into a new coaching relationship and she is having success not seen consistently since the beginning of 2008 and the end of 2006, Maria's other peak seasons. It seems that this new relationship with Thomas Hogstedt is going to be around for a few years and things can only get better (hopefully!). Her movement has improved drastically, I don't think Maria has moved around the court better and at times her ground strokes and serve have been as good as we've seen in years.

However in typical Poova fashion, her game has tended to falter at the late stages of events. And I think there is a very simple explanation for this, Maria talked about this during Wimbledon, the fact that Maria has been setting 'realistic' expectations for herself when she enters tournaments she hasn't been picturing herself winning the whole thing. In her last two events I believe we've seen Maria peak at the Quarterfinal stage and show some incredible tennis to win those matches, but then her from dropped quite dramatically in the match/matches that follow. Had she been able to continue her great QF form then we could be looking at 3 - 5 titles already this year including a Grand Slam or two.. I am hoping that for the remainder of 2011 her goals and expectations will be to win the tournaments she enters, not just make the 4th round and see how she goes from there.

I also think that numbers, dates, times should all be thrown out of the window when discussing Maria! This year we are looking at a new Maria, and a new Sharapova camp. So 2011 isnt 3 and a half years since she last won a Grand Slam, its 7 months in year 1 of team Sharapova & Hogstedt. And if these 7 months are anything to go by, we have a great few years ahead of us!

And yes while I am preaching from the church of positivity I'm not going to lie, I was and still am devastated by her last two Grand Slam losses! We SS fans know that Maria playing as well as she did earlier in those tournaments could have won the matches she lost.. But after years of tough losses we all know its best just to move on and look at the positives..

So congrats to Maria for a successful year so far, and I'm really looking forward to the next few months and years ahead.. I hope the rest of SS are too!

Lachy
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Agree with everything you just said! So true :D

Break My Rapture
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Well said.

Dieter.
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I couldn't agree with you more.

Andy.
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Very well said!!!

Steven.
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:48 PM
So true. It's a lie if I said I couldn't be happier with her current season, however it has far exceeded my expectations after her Aukland QF, AO R4 and Fed Cup losses.

shaktincredible
Jul 10th, 2011, 11:08 AM
totally agree. nice post.

moemoe
Jul 11th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Wow! people feel the same way as I do!!

Slampova
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Very good post Mikey. Hoepfully the best part of the season is yet to come :)

Mr.Sharapova
Jul 28th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Great Post :worship:.

pedropt
Jul 28th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Couldn't have said it better :D