PDA

View Full Version : The Smiths/Morrissey Appreciation Thread

Ciarán
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I love The Smiths and Morrissey. The man is a legend! I am going to see him for the first time on the 30th July this year, can't wait! :D Any other fans on the forum? What are you favourite songs/thoughts on both? :)

http://www.musicko.com/wp-content/uploads/smiths.jpg

Patrick S
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Any band that have a song with a children´s choir singing "Hang the dj, hang the dj, hang the dj" deserves some respect. Panic is one of my alltime favourite songs, and it´s just as relevant today as in the mid 80´s, with all the mass produced plastic crap music that´s on the charts/radio/tv.

9AlH2oYedfk

I have never really listened to Morrissey´s solo stuff but i like The Smiths a lot.

Ciarán
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I love Panic! I can't get enough of Asleep at the minute...this song is so haunting.

-CGIii_eTOk

Optima
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:24 PM
:inlove:

I love them. I'd love a reunion, but that's probably never going to happen.

Favorite songs? Hmmm...

Cemetry Gates
There is a Light That Never Goes Out
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Please Please Please Let me Get What I Want
Girlfriend in a Coma
The Boy with the Thorn in His Side
This Charming Man
Asleep
I Won't Share You
Panic
Frankly, Mr. Shankly

Halardfan
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Love the best Smiths stuff and the early Morrissey solo stuff.

There is a light that never goes out is the standout Smiths song for me, Suedehead and Everyday is like Sunday for Morrissey's solo stuff

Though I still love that music...I gradually went off Morrissey as a person. I prefer Johnny Marr.

Optima
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Morrissey isn't my favorite person either, but it's about the music. Love Johnny Marr.

delicatecutter
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:32 AM
My ex left behind/gave me a few Smiths CDs but I've never listened to them. Maybe I will one of these days.

McPie
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:52 AM
bpTKum8mIvk

Melange
Jul 5th, 2011, 10:11 AM
only heard some of his solo stuff

FCj_C-Yb3xI

GFDzQD-LR80

KRd7VO_tSRU

ampers&
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Morrissey/The Smiths :inlove:

Favorites:

First Of The Gang To Die
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
I Have Forgiven Jesus
Suedehead
Everyday Is Like Sunday
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Heaven Knows How Miserable I Am Now
Panic
William It Was Really Nothing
This Charming Man
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want
Bigmouth Strikes Again

melodynelson
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I don't appreciate Morrissey, but the Smiths was a fantastic band. "Reel Around the Fountain" is probably my favorite music by them.

I hope you enjoy the concert.

Level55
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM
The Smiths are one of my favourite bands. Not as keen on Morrissey's solo stuff and I would agree he isn't my favourite person!

Johnny Marr is a legend. He is now in a band called The Cribs, who I also think are fantastic :hearts:

Super Dave
Jul 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Ummm...

_U5HpeA_WSo

:bowdown:

Other favorites - This Charming Man, Please...Let Me Get What I Want

Invisible Fan
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Love the best Smiths stuff and the early Morrissey solo stuff.

There is a light that never goes out is the standout Smiths song for me, Suedehead and Everyday is like Sunday for Morrissey's solo stuff

Though I still love that music...I gradually went off Morrissey as a person. I prefer Johnny Marr.

Could that have something to do with the football teams they support? :D

I love the Smiths they were the best band of the 80s IMO. I like the first 2 albums but I love The Queen is Dead and Strangeways Here We Come. Some favourite songs: Reel Around The Fountain, This Charming Man, How Soon Is Now, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side, Panic, There Is A Light That Never Goes Out and Death Of A Disco Dancer.

postalblowfish
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I've never really been a massive fan of The Smiths, but I quite like a couple of bands that were influenced by them (Gene and Echobelly), I'm not sure why. Maybe I've just never given them that much listening time.

I really like 'Irish Blood, English Heart', which is a Morrissey one.

Invisible Fan
Aug 9th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Some of my favourite Smiths lyrics:

Fifteen minutes with you Well, I wouldn't say no Oh, people said that you were virtually dead And they were so wrong - Reel Around The Fountain

I know I need hardly say How much I love your casual way Oh, but please put your tongue away A little higher and we're well away - Miserable Lie

And if you must, go to work - tomorrow Well, if I were you I wouldn't bother
For there are brighter sides to life And I should know, because I've seen them
But not very often ... - Still Ill

I need advice, I need advice Nobody ever looks at me twice - Miserable Lie

So, I broke into the palace With a sponge and a rusty spanner She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing" I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano" - The Queen Is Dead

The death of a disco dancer Well, I'd rather not get involved I never talk to my neighbour I'd rather not get involved - Death Of A Disco Dancer

Burn down the disco Hang the blessed DJ Because the music that they constantly play IT SAYS NOTHING TO ME ABOUT MY LIFE Hang the blessed DJ
- Panic

Also from Morrissey solo:

Beware! I bear more grudges Than lonely high court judges - The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get

Ciarán
Sep 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM
My obsession is reaching dangerous levels now :help:

06c5Srk3fxM

Do we have any vegetarians on the forum through Morrissey/Meat is Murder's influence? :p

So Disrespectful
Sep 7th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I'm a casual fan and love most of the The Smiths' material, but I haven't really started on Morrissey's catalogue yet.

^ Ciaran, you never wrote about the show. How was it?

Ciarán
Sep 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I totally forgot :lol: It was amazing and exactly what I expected! Weird 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's montages and Morrissey himself was very humorous. He has the craziest fans I have ever seen, so many die hards! During the encore of 'Irish Blood, English Heart' (because it was in Dublin :p) one fan jumped on to the stage and when the security was dealing with her, a further 4 seen it as their opportunity to ransack the stage too :lol: There was an after party which he was supposed to attend, but he found out the venue cooked their chips in animal fat and said 'So feck them!' :lol: It was a brilliant moment for me, seeing someone I love so much :)

Talita Kumi
Sep 7th, 2011, 06:26 PM
:yeah:

Ciarán
Nov 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM
NME have released a special edition magazine about The Smiths. They have also published this interesting gallery of Morrissey's most infamous quotes! http://www.nme.com/photos/morrissey-s-50-most-memorable-quotes/126499/1/1

Invisible Fan
Nov 12th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I have a Mojo Smiths special issue from about 2004. It looks like the NME issue will cover the same sort of ground.
On another note I just bought the Morrissey albums Viva Hate and Bona Drag. I have listened to them a bit, love "everyday is like sunday" and "suedehead".

Roookie
Nov 12th, 2011, 06:17 PM
:inlove: There Is A Light That Never Goes Out :inlove:

Ciarán
Nov 12th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Did my hair ala Morrissey recently :oh:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lui7eiiJtR1qg9d3uo1_500.png

Invisible Fan
Feb 12th, 2013, 02:31 AM
They are calling this Johnny Marr's solo debut. Not before time :D

LLOlo2zYqt8

He is releasing an album later this year.

Drake1980
Feb 12th, 2013, 05:28 AM
:hearts:

Javi.
Feb 12th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Please, Please, Please let me get what I want is one of my favorite songs of the 80s.
There is a light that never goes out is pretty amazing as well.