PDA

View Full Version : Now that Generation Suck is finally back on the scoreboard, what's next for the WTA?

chuvack
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Who would have thought following Ivanovic's RG victory in '08, that it would take 12 more Slams before the new generation got another GS victory? Since then we have seen 4 disastrous Gen Suck #1's come and go. With Wozniacki in a terrible condition and the Williams looking like on the way out the door, are the upcoming Slams going to be won by random young players in the Top 30? Kvitova is very very good but I can't view her as a #1 type dominant player.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:33 PM
You just had 3 great champions who won 27 majors out of about 40.
You might have a more random situation now.
You certainly have that without Henin at the French Open.

You might get Bartoli winning Wimbledon, and more slam results like that

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Well, Kvitova took a huge step. They say the 1st major is the hardest one to win.

Still the jury out on the leader of the pack: Caro. She can't be liking the fact that another less acomplished member of generation stole her thunder.

chuvack
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Well, Kvitova took a huge step. They say the 1st major is the hardest one to win.

Still the jury out on the leader of the pack: Caro. She can't be liking the fact that another less acomplished member of generation stole her thunder.

btw, I thought about starting a poll asking how many more GS people think Serena is going to win (0 to 3 or more), but decided on this thread instead as its inclusive to that question.

It's been a while since I've seen so many crappy threads on the first page of GM here, it's definately the post-Wimby blues time.

18majors
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Dominance by Petra and Maria.

Gilas.
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Dementieva will make a successful comeback in Copenhagen 2012 beating the Woz on her way to the final (where she will lose to Edjesgaard) :sad:

But seriously, unless Caro REALLY steps it up, Petra will walk over all the slams. :shrug:

Break My Rapture
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:13 PM
You just had 3 great champions who won 27 majors out of about 40.
You might have a more random situation now.
You certainly have that without Henin at the French Open.

You might get Bartoli winning Wimbledon, and more slam results like that
LOL no.

Kworb
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I think Kim will win one more Slam
Serena at least four more Slams
Venus maybe one Slam
Na two more Slams
Sveta another random Slam
Sharapova two more Slams
One more Slam to another oldie like Zvonareva, Schiavone or Bartoli

That's three years' worth of Slams. So we're good for the foreseeable future.

C. Drone
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:17 PM
i don't think we'll much difference until the end of 2012, when many players will quit. But many question... 2 most obvious:
- Kvitty, can she live up her potential/hype? Domination and many slam?
- Can Caro do what she has to, just once?
the rest:
- Will Vika & Aga step up, more titles, more slamthreat?
- German top10 trio?
- Can younger russians fill the void of their headcasey predecessors?
- VIP done forever?

kman
Jul 4th, 2011, 06:15 PM
i don't think we'll much difference until the end of 2012, when many players will quit. But many question... 2 most obvious:
the rest:
- German top10 trio?
- VIP done forever?

VIP done forever lol...

love these WTA storylines

Rui.
Jul 4th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Maybe it's time generation deleted makes a comeback to the the top 10/20. (Kuznetsova, Chakvetadze, Ivanovic, Jankovic etc..)

swim4life227
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Petra is going to be the GOAT of the next generation. I remember when she played Serena at the AO in 2010 and she was a fucking joke. It's amazing how much she improved when she made that Wimbledon semi later that year. The just a year later she is a slam champ. She's going to go far and the rate at which she is improving is sick.

Patrick345
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM
the rest:
- German top10 trio?
- VIP done forever?

Did you just throw Azarenka and Radwanska in the same class? :confused:

Radwanska´s biggest title is Eastbourne, her career-high ranking is 8, she has reached one Premier Mandatory final (if i´m not wrong) and in three of her four Slam quarterfinals she won four games or less. In the other she almost bored Clijsters to death. Radwanska is the very definition of a top 10 gatekeeper, nothing more.

Novichok
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Serena's ascension and continual snatching of slams. BFF Caroline will get a few too.;)

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Maybe it's time generation deleted makes a comeback to the the top 10/20. (Kuznetsova, Chakvetadze, Ivanovic, Jankovic etc..)I think they can come back to top 10/20
Sharapova got back in the top 10. I hope Dinara can get back on the tour. Sveta is still capable of being top 15 & an occassional slam threat

Curtos07
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Ana Ivanovic is only 23, she's far from done.

roelc
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:39 PM
i think it s great news for wozniacki that petra won wimbledon
people wont be pushing for caro to win that first slam now, because kvitova will get a lot of attention too (together with serena, venus, kim, maria)

young_gunner913
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Ana Ivanovic is only 23, she's far from done.

She's been done for years now.

Graftard
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Generation suck will have to satisfy themselves with competing for RG only as Kvitova will be winning 3 slams a year in the future, Federer style.

Novichok
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Generation suck will have to satisfy themselves with competing for RG only as Kvitova will be winning 3 slams a year in the future, Federer style.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

AcesHigh
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Nothing will change that much.

The only thing that worries me is the very poor play in the second week of these slams. This cannot continue.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Nothing will change that much.

The only thing that worries me is the very poor play in the second week of these slams. This cannot continue.The best players arent playing. Semis of Wimbledon have 3 players who never won more than a slam QF, & post op Sharapova, who fits right in with them.
You're going to see inconsistent tennis

AcesHigh
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:16 PM
The best players arent playing. Semis of Wimbledon have 3 players who never won more than a slam QF, & post op Sharapova, who fits right in with them.
You're going to see inconsistent tennis

The best players aren't playing? That's quite ridiculous. Whoever made it that point was playing the best tennis. And at AO, they had the 4 best players at the end... same for RG.. they had the 4 best players of the tournament.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I dont agree. I think Li plays Lisicki in week 2, Li wins.
I also think if Venus & Serena had an extra week or 2, they could have been tougher.
I dont think the best players were in the final 4.
But the draw is the draw, and I remember a Kuznetsova/Chakvetadze USO SF. They were not 2 of the best players.

Brad[le]y.
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Well it's a big step for the young guns. I hope Petra doesn't end up like Ana though; she seems to have that same fragile mentality. :unsure:

stevos
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I think they can come back to top 10/20
Sharapova got back in the top 10. I hope Dinara can get back on the tour. Sveta is still capable of being top 15 & an occassional slam threat

Sharapova is not the same as Chakvetadze, Jankovic, Ivanovic. Whatsoever. Sharapova has had a champion's quality from a young age, that much is obvious.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Sharapova is not the same as Chakvetadze, Jankovic, Ivanovic. Whatsoever. Sharapova has had a champion's quality from a young age, that much is obvious.
Post op Sharapova has had a lot of problems. Its not the same player as the women who won the 2008 AO. And its been a struggle for her.
And its going to be a struggle for the others to get there also, if they can

Coconut91
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Well it's a big step for the young guns. I hope Petra doesn't end up like Ana though; she seems to have that same fragile mentality. :unsure:

I don't think Petra is nearly as mentally fragile as Ana to be honest. But anyway, every single player is different. They are different people, they have different games. What Ana went through has nothing to do with Petra.