PDA

View Full Version : Will Kim Clijsters play US Open 2011?

Lin Lin
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Is she okay?how was her injury?Any news?:confused:

wateva
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:26 AM
not looking good.
she pulled out of WTT and is in doubt for San Diego. :sad:

Zvonapova
Jul 4th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I've been wondering the same thing myself. She's had injuries but I can't help but sense there's something else going on with Kimmie. After she won the Aussie Open she announced that this year would be her last and we've seen less and less of her since. In her losses to Azarenka in Miami and her second round loss at RG she looked largely disinterested in being on the court. One thing is for sure, without any proper match time or preparation before the USO she won't be going far in that one either.

Roookie
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I've been wondering the same thing myself. She's had injuries but I can't help but sense there's something else going on with Kimmie. After she won the Aussie Open she announced that this year would be her last and we've seen less and less of her since. In her losses to Azarenka in Miami and her second round loss at RG she looked largely disinterested in being on the court. One thing is for sure, without any proper match time or preparation before the USO she won't be going far in that one either.

Is that official?

borrowedheaven
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Is that official?
It's probably her last full year, but she has said multiple times, even after the loss at RG, that she wants to continue 'till the Olympics.

18majors
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Probably not.

hurricanejeanne
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:34 PM

I've been thinking something similar, even during the AO she seemed only partly there which is very similar to how she was prior to her first retirement. Alas, I'm sure she'll play the US Open as it's her favorite and best slam, whether or not she's match ready to do so will remain to be seen.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM
She's not going to Tokyo & Beijing, so if she cant make NY, she might as well take the year off & decide if she wants to come back for 1 last USO & the Olympics

BluSthil
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Kim announces her retirement after the 2011 season. If she doesn't play the US Open, then she has issues that diminish her return to the court...

it-girl
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:30 PM
She probably will.

Zvonapova
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:11 AM
It's probably her last full year, but she has said multiple times, even after the loss at RG, that she wants to continue 'till the Olympics.

My mistake. I was sure I heard that she was retiring after 2011 is over but now that I'm reading this I seem to recall hearing that she might play a lighter schedule. Sorry for the confusion folks.

Henpova
Jul 5th, 2011, 06:17 AM
My mistake. I was sure I heard that she was retiring after 2011 is over but now that I'm reading this I seem to recall hearing that she might play a lighter schedule. Sorry for the confusion folks.

She said that this last AO was her last...but I think that is because she dose not want to travel that far...but with her injury and that fact that she won after she said that...I would put money on her playing.

But she never said that she retiring this year....

lang26
Jul 17th, 2011, 02:35 AM
hopefully she be there

Leelee.
Jul 17th, 2011, 02:48 AM
The smog from Indian Wells could have blown over to New York by now. Better play it safe, Kim.

Novichok
Jul 17th, 2011, 02:55 AM
The smog from Indian Wells could have blown over to New York by now. Better play it safe, Kim.

Your trolling has passed its peak and will never be funny again. You should just retire.

Yonc
Jul 17th, 2011, 03:02 AM
If she doesn't play USO or loses early at USO she will retire.

duhcity
Jul 17th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Your trolling has passed its peak and will never be funny again. You should just retire.

Legitimate reason. Clearly Kim prioritizes her and her daughter's health over anything. Why play tennis in such an industrialized country? All the potential hazards. Totally not worth it. :rolleyes:

The Kaz
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Legitimate reason. Clearly Kim prioritizes her and her daughter's health over anything. Why play tennis in such an industrialized country? All the potential hazards. Totally not worth it. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but if she believed that she could of gotten sick at IW due to the Japan quake this year then she is either totally naive, totally paranoid or totally stupid or a combination of all of them :o

Kim has never striked me as the sharpest tool in the shed so I wouldn't put it past her.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 17th, 2011, 09:25 AM
nah, she will play :shrug: and stick at least for 2012 as well :bounce: hope, no more injuries for her :awww:

!VamosRafa!
Jul 17th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Knowing how Kim is unpredictable I bet she will win the US Open :o

The Witch-king
Jul 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I heard she isnt really injured just trying to fix her debilitated marriage

killerqueen
Jul 17th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I don't understand why people think there must be something up with Kim. This is a woman who was happy to retire with 1 slam to her name, at the age of 23. If she wasn't interested, she'd retire. She's shown in the past she's not afraid to do it, so why would she possibly drag it out now if she didn't want to keep playing?

Maria rocks
Jul 17th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I hope she does, Would be a shame if she couldn't defend her title.

18majors
Jul 17th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Can she play at full strength?

GoofyDuck
Jul 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM
As long as her oxygen tank gets through the customs, I don't see why not :shrug:

Temperenka
Jul 17th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Every day when I log on Tennis Forum I expect to see "Kim will retire after the US Open" or "Kim is pregnant again!"

She has looked disinterested on court since winning the AO. She should just retire. It's obvious that she really wants to, but realizes what an opportunity it is right now to accumulate slams/prize money in such a weak era.

She'll probably play the USO though.

theFutureisNow
Jul 17th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Every day when I log on Tennis Forum I expect to see "Kim will retire after the US Open" or "Kim is pregnant again!"

She has looked disinterested on court since winning the AO. She should just retire. It's obvious that she really wants to, but realizes what an opportunity it is right now to accumulate slams/prize money in such a weak era.

She'll probably play the USO though.

I agree with this. If she doesn't see herself as the favorite to win a slam then she will probably retire.

A bad match against Kvitova/Sharapova/Serena at the USO might be the end for her.

18majors
Jul 17th, 2011, 05:56 PM
^I would pay to watch a match between Clijsters and Kvitova/Sharapova/Serena.

sam.jones
Jul 17th, 2011, 06:03 PM
She said that this last AO was her last...but I think that is because she dose not want to travel that far...but with her injury and that fact that she won after she said that...I would put money on her playing.

But she never said that she retiring this year....

I doubt she said this was her last AO...she just said her last full season.

if she is not retired by then, I bet she will travel to Melbourne. She loves it...just remember her tears after the petrova match...

Excelscior
Jul 17th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I would not be surprised if she entered the US Open, but it doesn't mean she's gonna win (especially with out any warmups) if she does. Good luck to her though, and the rest of the year.

Excelscior
Jul 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM
^I would pay to watch a match between Clijsters and Kvitova/Sharapova/Serena.

Yeah. That sounds good 18majors!!

Agreed!!

18majors
Jul 17th, 2011, 06:43 PM
It will be the first in a long time when Serena, Venus, Clijsters, Na Li and Maria are all in full strength. On top of that we also have the younger generation, Petra, Vika and Sabine, in good form.

marineblue
Jul 17th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I hope she will play. I think she has taken so much time off in order to make sure her injury heals properly. She probably wants to avoid ending up like Henin.

marineblue
Jul 17th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Is that official?
No, just misunderstood. :)

J4m3ka
Jul 17th, 2011, 07:06 PM
She will be playing. This is the tournament that she returned for, the entire year is a non entity while she eagerly waits for the Open to approach.

Stonerpova
Jul 17th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I think she will, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if she didn't. She can kiss the top five goodbye if she misses it.

VishaalMaria
Jul 17th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I think she'll at least want to defend her title.

If she isn't fit by the US Open, then I think she'll call it quits.

doomsday
Jul 17th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I remember when Kim won OZ, 90% of people in here thought she had chances to tie Venus and Henin in numbers of slams, here come the end of the year and many already talk about a retirement, gotta love TF:lol:

In The Zone
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I remember when Kim won OZ, 90% of people in here thought she had chances to tie Venus and Henin in numbers of slams, here come the end of the year and many already talk about a retirement, gotta love TF:lol:

She's only 3 slams off. If she actually applied herself, she'd have more than both of them. She is behaving and playing the same exact way she did in 2007 right before she retired.

No one is forcing her to enter events. No one cares if she skips slams. This is all her call but yet she continues to throw herself in there and look disinterested.

Clijsters love the US hardcourt season. The fact that she is "questionable" for San Diego is a clear indication of where her mind is.

doomsday
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:13 PM
She's only 3 slams off. If she actually applied herself, she'd have more than both of them. She is behaving and playing the same exact way she did in 2007 right before she retired.

No one is forcing her to enter events. No one cares if she skips slams. This is all her call but yet she continues to throw herself in there and look disinterested.

Clijsters love the US hardcourt season. The fact that she is "questionable" for San Diego is a clear indication of where her mind is.

I think she applied a lot to win those 3 majors but injuries happened it's part of tennis and she is well aware of that since it happened in her first career, noone can be injury free forever plus she won plenty of big titles in a short time(YEC and 3 majors) it affected her mentally and physically IMO she did more than she expected to.

nicky
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:14 PM
For heavens sake, the girl is injured, and has been for most of the time since february.
After the ankle injury, she worked her ass off to be able to play RG. As a lot of people predicted, it is near impossible to play well in Paris with a limited preparation and no match play - which she proved when she went out in the 2nd round.
And in her preparation for Wimbledon, which she loves because of the memories with her dad there, she twisted the same ankle again.
Out with injury - not because of desinterest.

No, it is a clear indication of where her ankle is - and as a fan, that worries me.

Justin
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM

I haven't really been paying too much attention. Did Kim's camp say that she is questionable for the Open or is this just this board's drama talking here?

Soliloque
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Do you have the proof that she's not injured ? Feel free to share if so. If not, stop posting bullshit. Why on earth would a player skip the GS she wants the most (Wimbledon) ?

Soliloque
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I haven't really been paying too much attention. Did Kim's camp say that she is questionable for the Open or is this just this board's drama talking here?

Kim is questionable for San Diego. Nothing has been said about the USO, it's just TF trying to call her retirement every week since the Petrova loss at last year AO.

cowsonice
Jul 18th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Is it because Kim is not playing WTT that makes her questionable for San Diego? I really hope she gets healthy in time for USO. It would definitely be a different atmosphere without the defending champ there.

lang26
Jul 18th, 2011, 03:25 AM
i guess only time will tell it funny how we all guessing if kim going play or who going win the U.S. Open and HC Season aint even start yet we see in couple weeks

justineheninfan
Jul 18th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I agree with the overall sentiment on this thread that if Kim doesnt win the U.S Open (not just play but win) she will probably retire.

18majors
Jul 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hope Clijsters will play 2012 Olympic.

The Witch-king
Jul 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
all these injuries is karma for winning slams the universe didnt intend for her to win

Excelscior
Jul 18th, 2011, 05:37 PM
all these injuries is karma for winning slams the universe didnt intend for her to win

Ouch!!!

BikezAreForever!
Jul 19th, 2011, 09:55 AM
There is an update on Kim's state of body and soul in Globe and Mail. She just started hitting on the tennis court last week. And she wants to play Olympics!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/anti-diva-clijsters-ready-to-run-at-rogers-cup/article2101616/

That injury was enough to put her on crutches for a few days and in a walking boot, and although Clijsters declares she is a fast healer, its an injury that takes time to heal. Still, she said, she has three weeks to go before the tournament in Toronto, and last Thursday, she started hitting balls again. She wants to compete in Toronto without giving the injury a thought.

She is currently in New Jersey, undergoing rehabilitation. Its been boring, she said. Its been very frustrating. Im very excited to be able to [hit balls] again. She says shes now regained her motivation.

Im going because I want to do well, she said of the Rogers Cup. Not that Im thinking about it as a prep for the U.S. Open.

She said she will focus on the U.S. Open only in the week before she goes. I will take it one tournament at a time and see how I react and how I feel.

One of her other main goals is to compete at the Olympics in London next year. Shes never competed at an Olympics before, and she likes the fact that it will be held only weeks after Wimbledon on the same surface.

borrowedheaven
Jul 19th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Good news! :D

goldlion
Jul 19th, 2011, 12:27 PM
She's shown many times that even without sufficient preparations she could still do well, thanks to the weak era of women tennis. I don't see why she won't play the Open, it's still more than a month before it begins.

18majors
Jul 19th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Clijsters will play Rogers Cup to prepare for US Open.

CLIJSTERS SET TO RETURN AT ROGERS CUP WITH EYE ON U.S. OPEN http://bit.ly/ptvAvC #tennis #Clijsters

Maria rocks
Jul 19th, 2011, 01:21 PM

CLIJSTERS SET TO RETURN AT ROGERS CUP WITH EYE ON U.S. OPEN http://bit.ly/ptvAvC #tennis #Clijsters

GREAT NEWS!!!! :)

Maria rocks
Jul 19th, 2011, 01:22 PM

GREAT NEWS!!!! :)

Sombrerero loco
Jul 19th, 2011, 01:24 PM
please dont play san diego.aga is defending the RU there :angel:

SHILIN-GOAT
Jul 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM
so she withdrew from San Diego :shrug:

Lin Lin
Jul 25th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Has this been confirmed?:unsure:

Soliloque
Jul 25th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Yes. Kim is out of San Diego and coming back in Toronto.

shoparound
Jul 25th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Title should be: 'Can' Kim Clijsters 'win' the US Open 2011
Invincible in NY ;)

Graftard
Jul 25th, 2011, 01:37 AM
If she doesn't, nobody will miss her. The less grinders there are winning titles, the better.

serenaforever
Jul 25th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Hopefully. She does rather well there, to say the least.

Maria rocks
Jul 25th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Confirmed that Kim will defend her title at this years US Open:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/14227867.stm

Three paragraphs down:)

Graf~Dokic
Jul 25th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Good news that she will play. :) But hopefully she plays 1-2 lead-up events as well...

Graf~Dokic
Jul 25th, 2011, 08:11 AM
If she doesn't, nobody will miss her. The less grinders there are winning titles, the better.

:rolls: :help: :o

manu
Jul 25th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Kim has confirmed to play 2 warm-ups: Toronto and Cincinatti. Hopefully she'll have trained enough by then! Looks like she'll only have had 3 weeks of training when Toronto comes along.

Happy for the good news! :)

Although apparently the ankle hasn't healed yet. I hope she listens well to her body and doesn't play if she doesn't feel 100% fit, even if it would cost her 2 warm-ups. No point in playing when you're not completely recovered.

goldenlox
Jul 25th, 2011, 01:31 PM
For both Kim & Serena, showing up is one thing. Playing very well is another.
Kim hasnt played well since February.

18majors
Jul 25th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I wonder what is it with Clijsters, she didn't even play her best when she won 2011 AO.

sammy01
Jul 25th, 2011, 02:27 PM

what a stupid thing to say. kim has played 4 tournaments in that time, retired from 1 of them. of course she hasn't 'played well since february' cus she has barely played and played injured.

VishaalMaria
Jul 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
what a stupid thing to say. kim has played 4 tournaments in that time, retired from 1 of them. of course she hasn't 'played well since february' cus she has barely played and played injured.

Alright, calm down! You don't have to get your knickers in a twist!

MB.
Jul 25th, 2011, 02:36 PM

...wut.

marineblue
Jul 25th, 2011, 03:36 PM

I just have to disagree when it comes to Kim. She wins all sort of events and does not only do well at slams.

dsanders06
Jul 25th, 2011, 03:52 PM

Because, unlike Wozniacki, she works to peak at the Slams... so you can't read anything into her peformances in Paris/Indian Wells/Miami. And obviously she had a reason for playing so badly at RG.

Tennis Ball
Jul 25th, 2011, 09:56 PM
She's shown many times that even without sufficient preparations she could still do well, thanks to the weak era of women tennis. I don't see why she won't play the Open, it's still more than a month before it begins.

short memory much - 2005, weak era? If you're a newbie in the careers of tennis players, then don't speak out-loud please next time. Does Best Comeback Player of the Year & Best Player of the year ring any bells?

Lol, after Kim's statements and real sentiment that she feels really frustrated not to be able to play, at posters who were creating and others who were saying they agree with the "sentiment of this thread" that Kim would retire (if she doesn't play USO) and looked disinterested on court, but were in fact implicitly questioning her injuries (+ shoulder).

terjw
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:21 PM
There is an update on Kim's state of body and soul in Globe and Mail. She just started hitting on the tennis court last week. And she wants to play Olympics!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/anti-diva-clijsters-ready-to-run-at-rogers-cup/article2101616/

Good news to hear. Hope things go to plan and she's back for the Roger's Cup then.

sammy01
Jul 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Alright, calm down! You don't have to get your knickers in a twist!

well if someone posted 'venus hasn't played well all year' i'm sure you would be straight there posting that she hasn't played and been injured.

oh and i don't wear knickers, i hang loose and free lol