PDA

View Full Version : NBC Loses Wimbledon!!

Spring Pools
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:58 AM
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=13071&zoneid=25

YAY!!! No more watching blurry streams because NBC doesn't want to show big tennis matches live!!

miffedmax
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:11 AM
God, there coverage was utterly inane even by their pathetic standards this year.

It was so much more interesting to hear Carillo ramble about her mixed doubles from 30 years ago than watch the actual match this year.

Spring Pools
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:17 AM
God, there coverage was utterly inane even by their pathetic standards this year.

It was so much more interesting to hear Carillo ramble about her mixed doubles from 30 years ago than watch the actual match this year.

It was basically her saying: I'm a good tennis player! I know what I'm talking about!
When in reality, McEnroe carried the team to the title. Their strategy was to have her push serves in and get the hell out while he played.

cellophane
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Byyye Ted Robinson :wavey:

Drake1980
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:19 AM
:eek:

perseus2006
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:19 AM
NBC did not treat tennis like a valuable asset, which was emphatically driven home this year through taped delayed coverage and the yellow journalist tandem team of John McEnroe and Mary Carillo commentating.

It's not surprising ESPN took it away from NBC.

ArturoAce.
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:22 AM
I'll be sad it's gone, just because of all the memories I had waking up as a kid to watch it. But really the coverage was mediocre, and I'm glad it has moved! This just means more golf now. :hysteric:

Dav.
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:32 AM
It's a bit bittersweet for nostalgia's sake, but live matches and no Ted Robinson make up for it. :lol:

harloo
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I'm so glad I have Direct TV. We get all live tennis matches on five interactive courts for every slam free of charge. I don't even waste my time watching ESPN especially when they flip back and forth during matches. And this works out great for Direct TV subscribers because usually live interactive blocks out certain matches for NBC. ESPN is part of the interactive package so no matches will be held. yippee.

Tennis Fool
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:54 AM
:woohoo:

Wished they had been outbid for the Olympics too :unsure: Next year, the marquee event-- women's beach volleyball on tape delay but LIVE. Yes, LIVE. Because Bob Costas makes it so!

LoveFifteen
Jul 4th, 2011, 06:30 AM
I'm so glad I have Direct TV. We get all live tennis matches on five interactive courts for every slam free of charge. I don't even waste my time watching ESPN especially when they flip back and forth during matches. And this works out great for Direct TV subscribers because usually live interactive blocks out certain matches for NBC. ESPN is part of the interactive package so no matches will be held. yippee.

This.

And thank the Lord that NBC lost Wimbledon. They were utterly worthless and disrespected tennis in every possible way. I am thrilled.

Sir Stefwhit
Jul 4th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Does anyone else remember the good ol' days of HBO!?...they were awesome!

Tennis Fool
Jul 4th, 2011, 06:51 AM
^yes!!!

mckyle.
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I can't believe it :sobbing: Finally! ESPN heard our prayers and bought exclusive coverage :bounce: Does this mean Carillo's out, too? Isn't she exclusively with NBC now? I think I remember reading an article about ESPN firing her?

mckyle.
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:48 AM
It's a shame NBC won the Olympics, though. ESPN will get it eventually, I hope!

Jeff
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Hellz yeah! :woohoo:

Jeff
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I can't believe it :sobbing: Finally! ESPN heard our prayers and bought exclusive coverage :bounce: Does this mean Carillo's out, too? Isn't she exclusively with NBC now? I think I remember reading an article about ESPN firing her?

If it is exclusively ESPN, then probably Carillo will be out yes. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if ESPN shares coverage with Tennis Channel at some point.

Empressive
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:40 AM
NO! Mary don't leave me! :sobbing: I hope for another GOAT rant at the Olympics. After her legendary badminton rant, she's set a standard.

mckyle.
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:50 AM
If it is exclusively ESPN, then probably Carillo will be out yes. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if ESPN shares coverage with Tennis Channel at some point.

I think ESPN wants all of Wimbledon to themselves, though. It's not like the French Open, which ESPN gladly shares with the Tennis Channel since the ratings/interest for the French isn't as big as Wimbledon in the US.

serenafann
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Does anyone else remember the good ol' days of HBO!?...they were awesome!
:wavey:
Yes HBO was great! except for Carillo's witch like presence.

serenafann
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:10 AM
ESPN Please don't rehire MC or hire TR. I love the idea of live matches from the start of the tournament to the end....Yessss!

Henpova
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I am so HAPPY!!! I hate NBC sports!!!