PDA

View Full Version : Who will win 2011 US Open?

Pages : [1] 2

Lin Lin
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I hope this won't be too eraly.;)

joão.
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Wozniacki, of course.

Roookie
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Early contenders:
Kim
Na Li
Serena
Sharapova
Wozniacki
Kvitova
Jankovic :cool:

If all these players are in some good form it will be very exciting. :cheer:

Graftard
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Kvitova. There is not a player today, no player at all, who can match her ground strokes. If the surface is quick, she's a favorite in any tournament she plays. It's as simple as that.

Wozniacki shouldn't be in the poll. She'll probably lose in the 4th round to Cibulkova or something. :o

DeliriousPotato
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Really the only slam the Wall can ever hope to win... :rolleyes:
But yeah, If she bumps into Na, Petra or Serena it's game over...

LegionArgentina
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Already a thread :help:

DeliriousPotato
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:02 AM
After Toronto, I'll make up my mind :)

dsanders06
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:06 AM
You HAVE to go with Kim at this stage. 21-match winning streak there.

With that said, I'd change that prediction if she doesn't pick up her form in the warm-up tournaments. She's not the type of player who can suddenly find her best form at a Slam after sucking for 6 months.

Dominika23
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Still too early but too sum it up

Serena depend on how she playing and if she in form

Caro with a good draw she can make a run, she love the hard court. :worship:

Masha She bringing the pain like I said last time, she ready to win another major so she one fav :p

Na she should go far then last year that for sure, hope for her to get a good draw any thing better than that wimby draw

Petra I think she going do great here she in form and playing her best tennis, her winning it I dont know yet. :worship:

Kim Depend on how Kim is if her Ankle and shoulder till not well and she not at her best she could lose early.

Vera Same story If her Ankle is not well she could be out, Hopefully both Kim and Vera heal and make a good recover They can really tear hardcourt up. :p

Venus Oh vee vee vee to me Venus should have won the U.S. Open last year she got Semi point to defend I hoping she playing her best tennis, and stay away from Pironkova :mad: :o :o

Other Names That could make a good Run not saying they will win but could good deep here and cause some upset.

Azarenka Finally got her first Semi final at a GS so she should be looking forward to taking that next take at the U.S. Open :drool:

Radwanska She could make a good run here depend on her draw :lick:

Pavlyuchenkova She anthoer to wacth out for :hearts:

And hoping Jelena & Ivanovic Find them some form in which brouth them to number 1 Ana coach should help her out. :hearts:

Wickmayer She Seem too do well at the U.S. open she play better here then any other GS

Hantuchova She on a Roll Her Best Year too me :kiss:

Kleybanova I just hoping she play she been outta action for so long :sad: :sad:

Brad[le]y.
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Kim :oh:

Amalgamate
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Go Serena :cheer:

serenaforever
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Serena will be a huge threat after she gets some more matches in. Petra is of course a contender. Clijsters is right there, given her history there. Sharapova is an ever-present threat to win it all.

madmax
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:19 AM
I expect a Sharapova - Clijsters final honestly. If both ladies are in form and healthy, they are two best players on decoturf. Now I dunno about Petra, who is still very streaky and it is still to be seen if she can maintain her high level. As for the others, Push will be eliminated yet again by some ballbasher in early rounds and WS will still be "searching" for their lost form endlessly. Should be a fun tourney anyway:cheer:

Novichok
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I expect a Sharapova - Clijsters final honestly. If both ladies are in form and healthy, they are two best players on decoturf. Now I dunno about Petra, who is still very streaky and it is still to be seen if she can maintain her high level. As for the others, Push will be eliminated yet again by some ballbasher in early rounds and WS will still be "searching" for their lost form endlessly. Should be a fun tourney anyway:cheer:

You cannot be serious?:tape::help:

Craig.
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:22 AM

As another poster said recently, I love how delusional you are :sobbing:

doooma6816
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Well...we should wait and see how girls do in USO series.

But for now I think Kim 21 winning streak...enough said.
I'm pretty sure Serena will be at least at 70% of her best after warm-ups....
Maria, definitely Na Li, Kvitty....Caro and Vika can make deep run.

dsanders06
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:26 AM
You cannot be serious?:tape::help:

Maria is yet to prove she's a great at the US Open, but who out of active players has a better record at the US Open than Kim? :shrug:

madmax
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:28 AM
As another poster said recently, I love how delusional you are :sobbing:

you'd probably prefer if I said that Maria would flame out in the same fashion as last year - that would indeed make me very "rational" fan I guess:lol: Too bad I hold my fave to higher standards than you do, and thanks god for that

tievae
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I would say Serena, because she should have had plenty of match practice by then, or Clijsters. I like Clijsters, but I honestly don't want to see her win a third consecutive US Open and fourth overall. I don't see French Open Champ Li Na or Wimbledon Champ Kvitova winning.

AnomyBC
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:34 AM
I've pretty given up on making women's tennis predictions, because I'm always wrong, but I'd say that these are probably the top favorites right now:

1. Clijsters
2. Li
3. Kvitova
4. Serena
5. Sharapova
6. Wozniacki
7. Azarenka
8. Zvonareva
9. Venus
10. Lisicki
11. Bartoli
12. Schiavone
13. Petkovic

dsanders06
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Bookies' favourites, from Oddschecker:

S. Williams 7/2
P. Kvitova 7/2
M. Sharapova 4/1
K. Clijsters 11/2
C. Wozniacki 13/2
V. Azarenka 8/1
N. Li 12/1
V. Williams 12/1
S. Lisicki 12/1

V. Zvonareva 16/1
S. Stosur 33/1
M. Bartoli 40/1
S. Kuznetsova 40/1
J. Jankovic 50/1
A. Ivanovic 50/1
F. Schiavone 80/1
D. Safina 125/1
M. Oudin 2000/1 :bigcry:

EDIT: Saw shorter odds for Kvitova

Craig.
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:39 AM
you'd probably prefer if I said that Maria would flame out in the same fashion as last year - that would indeed make me very "rational" fan I guess:lol: Too bad I hold my fave to higher standards than you do, and thanks god for that

I expect Maria to keep improving and have a solid US hardcourt season and hopefully have a deep run at the Open :confused: I don't just go ''oh well, since she's my fave, I'll put her straight through to the final.'' :tape: Do you know how many times you've been proven wrong during your time on this board? I may be a more skeptical Maria fan than you are (Lord, I hope all Maria fans are :tape:), but at least I don't make myself look like a fool time after time.

madmax
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:46 AM
I expect Maria to keep improving and have a solid US hardcourt season and hopefully have a deep run at the Open :confused: I don't just go ''oh well, since she's my fave, I'll put her straight through to the final.'' Do you know how many times you've been proven wrong during your time on this board? I may be a more skeptical Maria fan than you are (Lord, I hope all Maria fans are :tape:), but at least I don't make myself look like a fool time after time.

so just because I expect her to do well on her favourite hardcourts means I'm being delusional now?:rolleyes: And she is improving by leaps and bounds as compared to last year or the year before, when she couldn't even keep a rally longer for 5 or 6 shots. Despite that, she should have beaten Kim in a Cincy final, but unfortunately injured her foot in that match and good form went away. So yeah, she could very well hit yet another 50+ UE's and 20 DF's in one singular match, but is it likely to happen judging from her recent results?

Novichok
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Maria is yet to prove she's a great at the US Open, but who out of active players has a better record at the US Open than Kim? :shrug:

He said that they are the "two best." That's obviously not true. Serena and Kim both have 3 USO and Maria has 1.

pedropt
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Like never before, the "Hard to say" option is the most suitable one :lol:

But if I had to pick a winner now, I'd probably go with Serena or Kvitova.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:14 AM

S. Williams 7/2
P. Kvitova 7/2
M. Sharapova 4/1
K. Clijsters 11/2
C. Wozniacki 13/2
V. Azarenka 8/1
N. Li 12/1
V. Williams 12/1
S. Lisicki 12/1

V. Zvonareva 16/1
S. Stosur 33/1
M. Bartoli 40/1
S. Kuznetsova 40/1
J. Jankovic 50/1
A. Ivanovic 50/1
F. Schiavone 80/1
D. Safina 125/1

EDIT: Saw shorter odds for KvitovaThese will change a little based on who plays well going in.
Kim is going for a 3peat
Serena also is a multiple USO champion & next most recent, 2008.
Petra and Li won majors this year
Maria, Venus, Caro wouldnt shock.
I'll be happy if Safina is in the draw, forget winning

Those odds on Lisicki are way too low.

Craig.
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:25 AM
so just because I expect her to do well on her favourite hardcourts means I'm being delusional now?:rolleyes: And she is improving by leaps and bounds as compared to last year or the year before, when she couldn't even keep a rally longer for 5 or 6 shots. Despite that, she should have beaten Kim in a Cincy final, but unfortunately injured her foot in that match and good form went away. So yeah, she could very well hit yet another 50+ UE's and 20 DF's in one singular match, but is it likely to happen judging from her recent results?

Didn't you see her get totally outplayed by Kvitova in her last match (though Kvitova was too good for the most part, Maria was pretty fucking useless whenever she had a chance to get into it), and see her hit 13 DFs in the SF against Lisicki? So while yes, her results are better than they have been in years and her form in general is better, she can still be wildly erratic and that's probably why she didn't win Roland Garros. But whatever, you expect her to thrash every player she plays, so there's really no point in discussing this with you. Weren't you the one who was expecting Maria to rout Kvitova and went on and on after the match about how you couldn't believe how shitty she played...News flash, that could very well happen again. And I'm a diehard Maria fan.

razzer
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:45 AM
first post. hello guys.

im not a fan of caro before but since I have been a lurker of this forum, I have noticed so much caro hate which I think she doesn't deserve. I love underdogs and I feel caro is one. now I am a fan. I think she was just stressed and nervous during the previous slams hence she failed to win one.

I believe she will win US open 2011! and geez when that time happens she will earn your respect.

lang26
Jul 4th, 2011, 03:42 AM
WOW Every one has a vote beside Vee

rimon
Jul 4th, 2011, 03:59 AM

S. Williams 7/2
P. Kvitova 7/2
M. Sharapova 4/1
K. Clijsters 11/2
C. Wozniacki 13/2
V. Azarenka 8/1
N. Li 12/1
V. Williams 12/1
S. Lisicki 12/1

V. Zvonareva 16/1
S. Stosur 33/1
M. Bartoli 40/1
S. Kuznetsova 40/1
J. Jankovic 50/1
A. Ivanovic 50/1
F. Schiavone 80/1
D. Safina 125/1

Very stupid odds. Putting Kim 4th, are you kidding? :tape:

Root
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Daniela Hantuchova. Looming Serena and Azarenka a la Doha are among her seven victims. Pray hard your favourites don't draw her.

acetoace
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:42 AM

I don't know about Clijsters, but u're wrong about sharapova. Maria will not win the USO 2011. There are so many young guns out there today that are far better than maria. I told ppl like u that sharapova will not win FO 2011, WB 2011 and nothing will change at the USO.

Do not be surprised if she don't win any going forward.:rolleyes:

Keep the dream alive......

longtin23
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I just think that Kvitova/Lisicki/Serena will do well in USO series cause their game just fit grass court more than on hard. Just a feeling. Serena will continue her bad form I think...

Empressive
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Why Empress of course, who else? :wavey:

Richie's
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Danka Hantuchova

flyingmachine
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:38 AM
That's a tough one.
Obvious ones:
Serena -You just can't rule her out.
Maria -Almost at her best as long cut out the DFs also serve at hardcourt are not as important as on grass.
Kim - USO goat!
Li Na - Despite her early lost but still at the form of her life.
Kvitova - She got enough weapons to conquest the hardcourt.
Dark horses
Azarenka - I think she do very well at this surface.
Lisicki - With her serve and forehand she should be doing well.

Gilas.
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Na will win :shrug:

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:45 AM

:lol: A final with the aid of one of the weakest draws ever and Masha-fans are all talking again?! Oh la la! :facepalm:

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Kim..the champ till somebody takes her out.
Wozniacki...she's been a terror on HC's. it's time for her to step up at the plate.
Li..big match player, so never to be ruled out.
Kvitova..her game should work on hc's too, but consistency not her strength just yet.
Serena...if she finds her groove again, watch out!
Vee..who knows, but somehow she always finds a way to lose at the Open.

LoLex
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:13 AM
My early prediction: Wozniacki or Na Li.

doomsday
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Sharapova or Clijsters.

doomsday
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:28 AM
:lol: A final with the aid of one of the weakest draws ever and Masha-fans are all talking again?! Oh la la! :facepalm:

She didn't drop one set til the final, she was good enough to reach the final and I believe Serena was in her part, wasn't she? Maria is playing a solid tennis since Rome so she is one of the faves to win US not Serena.

Maria rocks
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Masha i hope!!!!!

SerenaClijsters
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Guess we have another retarded Masha fan other than Sp!ffy and Rafito. Don't give other Maria fans a bad name you moron.

I will put my money on either Sharapova, Kvitova, Wozniacki or Serena.

BlueTrees
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Elena Baltacha. :rocker2:

Antoshka
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Lady JaJa http://ads.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images/smilies/rocker2.gif

rimon
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Guess we have another retarded Masha fan other than Sp!ffy and Rafito. Don't give other Maria fans a bad name you moron.

I will put my money on either Sharapova, Kvitova, Wozniacki or Serena.

No Kim? :eek: This IS the US Open here, not one of the other slams.

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM
She didn't drop one set til the final, she was good enough to reach the final and I believe Serena was in her part, wasn't she? Maria is playing a solid tennis since Rome so she is one of the faves to win US not Serena.

Sure, Masha's playing solid tennis..but solid tennis doesn't equal SPECIAL tennis and that's what's required for winning majors. All I'm saying.

And Serena's case was a special one. Masha sure wasn't reaching 4th round at majors after not playing for a year, was she?! :shrug:

LoLex
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Sure, Masha's playing solid tennis..but solid tennis doesn't equal SPECIAL tennis and that's what's required for winning majors. All I'm saying.

And Serena's case was a special one. Masha sure wasn't reaching 4th round at majors after not playing for a year, was she?! :shrug:

She reached QF of RG after coming back from injury and not playing almost a year :o

Beat
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I expect a Sharapova - Clijsters final honestly. If both ladies are in form and healthy, they are two best players on decoturf.

:haha:

Sharapowerr
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Sharapova or Azarenka i think.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
To early to make any kind of a prediction, considering there are so many uncertainties :shrug:
Anyway:
1. Kvitova
2. Serena
3. Clijsters :scratch:
4. Karolina
5. Sharapova

doomsday
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:15 PM

Like lolex said she reach FO QF in 2009 after being out for almost one year.
And you are also so wrong in the first part cause you're gonna have to tell me if Clijsters played a special tennis to win USO2010 and OZ2011, same goes for Na Li at the French it was everything except special, Maria is playing a better tennis every week now and she seems to get better and go deeper the more she plays (semis at the French and final at Wimbledon) like I said she is one of the contender for US title this year.

Break My Rapture
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Reflecting back at Maria's performances last year, I don't expect much from her in NY with her serve still all over the place. Particularly if it's as windy as last year again.

Kimothy's chances depend much on the match practice she will be able to get, if not she'll probably suffer another freak exit like RG.

I'm not sure about Serena, she obviously has lots of time to get her game back together after that disastrous loss to Bartoli but she remains a question mark as of now.

Wozniacki will probably suffer the same fate as the previous majors despite this being her best major by far.

Vika's FH is too wonky on fast surfaces like this, I can see her making the semis at best if she avoids Kvitova and Li.

Kvitty is obvs a contender unless she suffers from freak dip in form.

Na hasn't been convincing here in the past, I don't think she's a (big) contender.

Zvonareva, Jankovic, Schiavone, Ivanovic etc are not factors IMO.

I vote for Kimothy, hopefully she'll actually play well this time around to win it.

C. Drone
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:22 PM
wide open.
ask again after Cincy.

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:29 PM
She reached QF of RG after coming back from injury and not playing almost a year :o

She did? And at RG, should've guessed that one. Oopss! :o

killerqueen
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM
To early to decide, but I'm thinking that it'll be one of Serena, Caroline or Maria, and maybe Kim if she is fit and healthy by then.

Chip.
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Very early but at this point :

1. Sharapova, so long as she doesn't fuck it up with her serve :o
2. Azarenka
3. Caro
4. KvittyGOAT, I'd place her higher but Grass accentuates her game nicely with the lefty serve, etc and hardcourt doesn't have the same effect.
5. Serena.

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Like lolex said she reach FO QF in 2009 after being out for almost one year.
And you are also so wrong in the first part cause you're gonna have to tell me if Clijsters played a special tennis to win USO2010 and OZ2011, same goes for Na Li at the French it was everything except special, Maria is playing a better tennis every week now and she seems to get better and go deeper the more she plays (semis at the French and final at Wimbledon) like I said she is one of the contender for US title this year.

:secret: You telling me it doesn't take special tennis to beat Maria, what Na Li did do at RG?! Oh la la! :eek: ;)
Look, nobody's denying that Maria's on her way back. Kudos to her! But at the same time: she's gonna need help if she's to win at the Open..'cause her serve isn't getting it done on the pressure moments.

Witness: IW, Miami, RG and Wimbledon. She did well at these tourneys, but got beaten pretty routinely too..just being cautious.

madmax
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:33 PM
She did? And at RG, should've guessed that one. Oopss! :o

yes she did...one round better than your beloved "baby gurl" it seems.:lol:

Feyd
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I would go with Serena, Kvitova, Sharapova, Clijsters, Li Na, Wozniacki order.

acetoace
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:37 PM

LMO.....at ppl like u. Didn't you "expect" too at 2011 FO and 2011 WB? I think your "expect" will remain what it is by end of 2011 USO...."expect".:haha:

U watch.....

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM

:lol: Well done by Maria. :hatoff: The benefits of being young. 22 ain't 29. ;)

StoneRose
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Maria and Serena favorite in the poll :confused:. Maria looked rather helpless against Petra in Wimbledon final. Many problems on serve again too. I would never give her more chances to win the USO than Petra. Serena is a dark horse of course but considering Wimbledon i can hardly call her a favorite too. More contenders on HC than on grass as well.

So maybe Maria is better on HC than Petra, i don't think she'll be better than Vika or Caro on this particular surface and if Kim's healthy again, just no way, pretty sure she won't win. I don't know about Serena and i doubt anyone has a clear idea, give her more chances than Maria.

Actually Kim'll probably win if she's gotten over all the injury trouble and she's motivated to do it. If not maybe Vika or Caro but Petra again is probably more likely. Vera and Li is possible as well.

Kim Ftm.

doomsday
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM
:secret: You telling me it doesn't take special tennis to beat Maria, what Na Li did do at RG?! Oh la la! :eek: ;)
Look, nobody's denying that Maria's on her way back. Kudos to her! But at the same time: she's gonna need help if she's to win at the Open..'cause her serve isn't getting it done on the pressure moments.

Witness: IW, Miami, RG and Wimbledon. She did well at these tourneys, but got beaten pretty routinely too..just being cautious.

You said it requires special tennis to win majors nowadays, I'm just telling you it doesn't and I think you can only agree with me because Clijsters proved that in her last two wins :lol: but you right about Maria's serve being very fragile but so far she did pretty good with it on her weakest surfaces and no clay is not her best surface.

doomsday
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Maria and Serena favorite in the poll :confused:. Maria looked rather helpless against Petra in Wimbledon final. Many problems on serve again too. I would never give her more chances to win the USO than Petra. Serena is a dark horse of course but considering Wimbledon i can hardly call her a favorite too. More contenders on HC than on grass as well.

So maybe Maria is better on HC than Petra, i don't think she'll be better than Vika or Caro on this particular surface and if Kim's healthy again, just no way, pretty sure she won't win. I don't know about Serena and i doubt anyone has a clear idea, give her more chances than Maria.

Actually Kim'll probably win if she's gotten over all the injury trouble and she's motivated to do it. If not maybe Vika or Caro but Petra again is probably more likely.

Kim Ftm.

maybe?:lol:

Coconut91
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Vika's FH is too wonky on fast surfaces like this, I can see her making the semis at best if she avoids Kvitova and Li.

That's the difficult part, avoiding Petra and Na :lol: Vika will only exit USO when she faces one of these, or the eventual champion of course :lol:

I'd say Petra and Serena and Kim depending on their respective forms. I can see Caro and Vika getting far, but we have yet to see the draw.

StoneRose
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:53 PM
maybe?:lol:Yes very maybe. Don't get me wrong, Maria has definitely made progress but it still looks very shaky from time to time. She did well to reach the Wimbledon final. However Sabine basically folded against her and i actually don't remember exactly what went on with Maria before that match, so i looked it up, 6-1 6-1 against Cibulkova it was, nice win but still...With Petra we'll just have to see how well she'll play on HC but i wouldn't be surprised if her big hitting pays off nicely on this surface too.

madmax
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:55 PM
:lol: Well done by Maria. :hatoff: The benefits of being young. 22 ain't 29. ;)

good:lol:
Now we are at least resorting to semi-intellectual talk instead of bitter trolling. So what is the chance for the Serenka to reach her peak form again entering her 30's pretty soon in your opinion?

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:58 PM
You said it requires special tennis to win majors nowadays, I'm just telling you it doesn't and I think you can only agree with me because Clijsters proved that in her last two wins :lol: but you right about Maria's serve being very fragile but so far she did pretty good with it on her weakest surfaces and no clay is not her best surface.

Yep. She's doing well..and that's great to see! :D

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Now we are at least resorting to semi-intellectual talk instead of bitter trolling. So what is the chance for the Serenka to reach her peak form again entering her 30's pretty soon in your opinion?

She's Serena Williams. Doubt her at your own risk...;)

StoneRose
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:03 PM
:), very true. I'd take my hat off to her if she actually pulled it off.

LUVMIRZA
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I'll wait for the draw to get released:angel:

acetoace
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:37 PM

I guess we shall see soon enough. I will be laughing at your crocodile tears come September.

Still living in the past I guess.:rolleyes:

!VamosRafa!
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Kim obviously :(

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM
You could have at least waited for the first hard tournaments to start :rolleyes:

borrowedheaven
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:04 PM
My vote goes to Clijsters, her game translates the best to that surface. However, if she keeps having these injury problems ...

I wouldn't count Venus out either, as long as she is not in Clijster's part of the draw. I don't see Venus ever winning from Kim again.
Petra is always dangerous, but it is still to be seen wether she can cope with the extra pressure. Maria certainly has a chance when she gets her game going, sadly, it doesn't happen that often.

And I would love Caro, Vika and Pavs to make a good run too.

She's Serena Williams. Doubt her at your own risk...;)

And this, ofcourse.

Seems like an interesting tournament!

DragonFlame
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM
This is tricky. I'd say either a fit Serena or Li Na.

Clijsters doesn't have the shape right now to compete at the highest level, and if she did i still think Li Na will beat her, now that she's a slamwinner i doubt she'll let her get away again.
Will serena get herself in slamwinning shape, i don't know...

Kvitova is the wildcard, it will be interesting to see how she copes with being a slamchampion.

Sharapova, Azarenka, Wozniacki, Zvonareva won't be winning. I'm sure of that. People are overestimating their abilities.

Coconut91
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Yes very maybe. Don't get me wrong, Maria has definitely made progress but it still looks very shaky from time to time. She did well to reach the Wimbledon final. However Sabine basically folded against her and i actually don't remember exactly what went on with Maria before that match, so i looked it up, 6-1 6-1 against Cibulkova it was, nice win but still...With Petra we'll just have to see how well she'll play on HC but i wouldn't be surprised if her big hitting pays off nicely on this surface too.

Well it won't be the first time we'll see Petra play on hard, we know she's good. I think she would beat Sharapova on this surface too if she has a good day, just like she'd beat 90% of the tour. :shrug:

Maria is always a threat and she's improving. And she's better on hard, but so are the majority of girls. That's why I don't see her winning more than on any other surface. If anything it will be more difficult for her, as players like Kim, Caro or Vika are more dangerous on hard.

18majors
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Maria.

18majors
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Maria will win at least one US Open series tournaments will be the favorite.

Ryusuke Tenma
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM
This tournament is Caroline's. You all think she'll tumble out, but just watch. She'll show you all that she means business on hardcourt. This slam is Caroline's :wavey:

Break My Rapture
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:43 PM
This tournament is Caroline's. You all think she'll tumble out, but just watch. She'll show you all that she means business on hardcourt. This slam is Caroline's :wavey:
Hello bookmark. :hearts:

LindsayRulz
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:47 PM
It's way too soon to call right now. It all depends on Serena's health and Kim recovering in time IMO. :p

Aramitz_II
Jul 4th, 2011, 03:06 PM

S. Williams 7/2
P. Kvitova 7/2
M. Sharapova 4/1
K. Clijsters 11/2
C. Wozniacki 13/2
V. Azarenka 8/1
N. Li 12/1
V. Williams 12/1
S. Lisicki 12/1

V. Zvonareva 16/1
S. Stosur 33/1
M. Bartoli 40/1
S. Kuznetsova 40/1
J. Jankovic 50/1
A. Ivanovic 50/1
F. Schiavone 80/1
D. Safina 125/1

Bookies list are absolutely useless as setting any favourite, since they only reflect the distribution of the gambling. Specially at this early stage where most of the betters are fan based.

bbjpa
Jul 4th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Coco Vandeweghe , you heard it first here :lol:

Otlichno
Jul 4th, 2011, 03:08 PM

Since when did Serena ever need to be in peak form to win a slam? :shrug:

colt13
Jul 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Way too early to have a concrete pick, but I am surprised that Azarenka wasn't listed as a choice as this is her best surface. Obviously the heat and humidity become a factor, which is why she gets dropped a peg. Drop Venus a peg too, as what scared me at Wimbledon is that the mummy tape was needed after her first couple of matches, and she won't hold up.

Serena, Kim, Petra are probably the first 3, then Azarenka, Wozniacki, Sharapova and whoever wins Toronto.

Chip.
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Hello bookmark. :hearts:

Crap, you beat me to it :lol:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:11 PM
first post. hello guys.

im not a fan of caro before but since I have been a lurker of this forum, I have noticed so much caro hate which I think she doesn't deserve. I love underdogs and I feel caro is one. now I am a fan. I think she was just stressed and nervous during the previous slams hence she failed to win one.

I believe she will win US open 2011! and geez when that time happens she will earn your respect.
This can only come from a new member. :lol: But I respect you for choosing the side of the victim instead of the bullies and I'm glad you're a fan. :smooch:

Bingain
Jul 4th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Bookies list are absolutely useless as setting any favourite, since they only reflect the distribution of the gambling. Specially at this early stage where most of the betters are fan based.

Yeah they are kinda useless, but what do you think TF is? Isn't it a fan forum? Fans!!!! And the bookie figures are from fans who have doled out cash to support their choices. What about TF fans?

So calm down, dude. You don't take anything serious here -- not any pool, not any "xxx will win yyy" predictions -- unless they qualify their choices with something like "XXX will definitely win USO. If she doesn't, I'll eat cat shit and upload the video to youtube. I also authorize TF admins to ban me for life if I can't keep my word."

Now who do you think will definitely win USO 2011???? :devil:

BluSthil
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM
If the 'Big' 4 are healthy, either of them could win the US Open: S.Williams, Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova or Kim Clijsters. I would say Kim is the least likely to win because of her lack of competition and age. Serena has a bigger serve, and her ground strokes are sharper, so her chances are better.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Yeah they are kinda useless, but what do you think TF is? Isn't it a fan forum? Fans!!!! And the bookie figures are from fans who have doled out cash to support their choices. What about TF fans?

So calm down, dude. You don't take anything serious here -- not any pool, not any "xxx will win yyy" predictions -- unless they qualify their choices with something like "XXX will definitely win USO. If she doesn't, I'll eat cat shit and upload the video to youtube. I also authorize TF admins to ban me for life if I can't keep my word."

Now who do you think will definitely win USO 2011???? :devil:
Well, many people usually vote for who they WANT to win rather than who they THINK that will win. There are maybe five or six (or more) players that could win the USO. People know that their favourite winning is far from a foregone conclusion, but they vote and argue in favor of her out of fan-loyalty.

postalblowfish
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Well, many people usually vote for who they WANT to win rather than who they THINK that will win. There are maybe five or six (or more) players that could win the USO. People know that their favourite winning is far from a foregone conclusion, but they vote and argue in favor of her out of fan-loyalty.

So.

Who do you think will win?

Excelscior
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:53 PM

Unfortunately, I think Caro will get hit off the court if she faces an inform Clijsters, Petra, Serena or Li Na on this surface.

You really think so? I think she needs some luck in the draw and with upsets.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:15 PM
So.

Who do you think will win?
I voted for "hard to say" which at this point is the only sensible choice to make in my opinion.

But ok, I don't want to be a bad sport, so....

tier one faves: Clijsters, Serena, Wozniacki
tier two faves: Sharapova, Kvitova, Azarenka, Li

....but the gap between the two groups is very small and six or seven weeks from now that list could look significantly different.

young_gunner913
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Serena. She wants a slam this year and there's one left.

postalblowfish
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I voted for "hard to say" which at this point is the only sensible choice to make in my opinion.

....but the gap between the two groups is very small and six or seven weeks from now that list could look significantly different.

Aye. It is quite early on to try to pick, IMO.

Soliloque
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:25 PM
If the 'Big' 4 are healthy, either of them could win the US Open: S.Williams, Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova or Kim Clijsters. I would say Kim is the least likely to win because of her lack of competition and age. Serena has a bigger serve, and her ground strokes are sharper, so her chances are better.

Kvitova is anything but close to be a member of a big 4 with these players.

And Kim won the USO after 2 tournaments in 2009, I don't see why the lack of competition should be a problem. She has a history of doing great when coming back.

dsanders06
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM
And Kim won the USO after 2 tournaments in 2009, I don't see why the lack of competition should be a problem. She has a history of doing great when coming back.

Agreed. I'm very surprised at how dismissive people in this thread are of Kim's chances. I mean, she's DOMINATED this tournament for the past 8 years. Assuming she's healthy, she's clearly the one to beat.

young_gunner913
Kvitova is anything but close to be a member of a big 4 with these players.

I agree. RG was unforgettable.

Novichok
Serena. She wants a slam this year and there's one left.

Yes. I believe Serena is going to be super motivated. I can't wait.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:30 PM
If the 'Big' 4 are healthy, either of them could win the US Open: S.Williams, Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova or Kim Clijsters. I would say Kim is the least likely to win because of her lack of competition and age. Serena has a bigger serve, and her ground strokes are sharper, so her chances are better.Its way too early to have a big 4.
Lets see how they play this summer. How can you have a big 4 now without Li? AO final, beat Kvitova, Azarenka, Sharapova in Paris.
Way too early.

Novichok
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Agreed. I'm very surprised at how dismissive people in this thread are of Kim's chances. I mean, she's DOMINATED this tournament for the past 8 years. Assuming she's healthy, she's clearly the one to beat.

3/8 ain't dominating.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:34 PM

I would easily take anyone in your tier two over Wozniacki if they're all in good form.

dsanders06
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:34 PM
3/8 ain't dominating.

She's won it the last three times she played, and made the final the time before that. No other active player even comes close to her.

dsanders06
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I would easily take anyone in your tier two over Wozniacki if they're all in good form.

I have to say, with the exception of Azarenka, I'd sooner put my money on anyone in that second tier than Wozniacki too.

But, until we get to the warm-up tournaments, Kim is clearly in a tier all of her own by default.

Novichok
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:38 PM
She's won it the last three times she played, and made the final the time before that. No other active player even comes close to her.

You said that she dominated it for the past 8 years. She didn't play the tournament for half of those years. It's not a given that she would've won if she had played.

dsanders06
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:40 PM
You said that she dominated it for the past 8 years. She didn't play the tournament for half of those years. It's not a given that she would've won if she had played.

:help:

Yes, I think someone winning a tournament the last 3 times they've played it qualifies as domination actually. Who has a better record than her there?

Novichok
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:42 PM

Yes, I think someone winning a tournament the last 3 times they've played it qualifies as domination actually. Who has a better record than her there?

I'm sorry but you said for the past 8 years. You can't dominate a tournament for the "past 8 years" if you didn't play for half of those years.:help:

18majors
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Clijsters always plays well at Flushing Meadows and last year her plays were extraordinary.

dsanders06
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I'm sorry but you said for the past 8 years. You can't dominate a tournament for the "past 8 years" if you didn't play for half of those years.:help:

I hate to break it to you, but the definition of "domination" is "The exercise of control or influence over someone or something, or the state of being so controlled". Kim clearly has a massive influence at the USO, because whenever she shows up, she wins it. Missing the tournament for a few years doesn't affect the fact that, when she's there, she's the one to beat.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Venus gave Kim a very close match last year.
Nothing is certain for these older players. They're all trying to return from major injuries, and they're not young anymore.
Every time from now on, these returns will be harder, and Serena, Venus, and Kim have to show they can play at that level in the summer of 2011

madmax
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Venus gave Kim a very close match last year.
Nothing is certain for these older players. They're all trying to return from major injuries, and they're not young anymore.
Every time from now on, these returns will be harder, and Serena, Venus, and Kim have to show they can play at that level in the summer of 2011

well, it looks like nothing is guaranteed for these younger players too as evidenced by the results of previous slams prior to Wimby. At least these oldies have games to go deep and challenge for the slams, which cannot be said for certain youngsters...

Novichok
Jul 4th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I hate to break it to you, but the definition of "domination" is "The exercise of control or influence over someone or something, or the state of being so controlled". Kim clearly has a massive influence at the USO, because whenever she shows up, she wins it. Missing the tournament for a few years doesn't affect the fact that, when she's there, she's the one to beat.

Domination is the act of dominating. To dominate means: "To bear rule over, control, sway; to have a commanding influence on; to master."

If Kim had dominated the USO over the past 8 years, then a strong case can be made for Serena too. Serena has a commanding influence in every tournament that she plays. Kim's winning percentage is 88.1% and Serena's winning percentage is 86.6%.

dsanders06
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Domination is the act of dominating. To dominate means: "To bear rule over, control, sway; to have a commanding influence on; to master."

If Kim had dominated the USO over the past 8 years, then a strong case can be made for Serena too. Serena has a commanding influence in every tournament that she plays. Kim's winning percentage is 88.1% and Serena's winning percentage is 86.6%.

In her last four attempts, Serena has only won the US Open once, as well as a semifinal, quarterfinal and 4th round. You really think that even compares to Kim's record of W-W-W-F? :spit:

Novichok
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM
In her last four attempts, Serena has only won the US Open once, as well as a semifinal, quarterfinal and 4th round. You really think that even compares to Kim's record of W-W-W-F? :spit:

I didn't say that it compared. I said that a strong case can be made for Serena's domination of the USO using your definition. A stronger one in fact because the influence that an active player has over a retired player is going to be considerably higher.

sandv1
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Early contenders:
Kim
Na Li
Serena
Sharapova
Wozniacki
Kvitova
Jankovic :cool:

If all these players are in some good form it will be very exciting. :cheer:

...it'd also be a flippin' miracle. :lol:

18majors
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Jj?

Curtos07
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Ana Ivanovic!!!!

But seriously, I would go with either Serena or Masha. But things could change over the course of the summer.

cowsonice
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:17 PM
As much as I am a Clijsters fan, I don't see her winning it this year :(. The extent of her ankle injury is still unknown, and there are more in-form players than previous years' as the HC season is around the corner.

it-girl
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:21 PM
At this point it is too early to say, so I voted for my favorite player:shrug:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:40 PM
An unseeded floatie :angel:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Yeah, but as I said - I voted for "hard to say" at this point, so I don't have a strong opinion about it either way. We'll know more immediately before the start of the USO. That is, we might still get it wrong, but at least we'll have something more solid on which to base our opinions.

!VamosRafa!
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Kim will get back to her best and she'll win Stanford and Cincinnati, but lose in the QF of Toronto and then she will win the US Open losing 1 or 2 sets and everyone will bitch about it, including me :(

Renalicious
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Depends if Serena and Venus are in form by then.
On current form, I see Sharapova, Kvitova, Na and Caroline making the semi's if the draw pans out that way. But hopefully Vee and Ree can step it up and make the finals. :D

SAISAI-GOAT
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:00 AM
it is really too early to say right now :shrug:

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:53 AM

Did you consider Serena the prohibitive favorite at Wimbledon?

dsanders06
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Did you consider Serena the prohibitive favorite at Wimbledon?

Venus is the closest to a dominant player at Wimbledon, not Serena. And Venus was my pick.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Venus is the closest to a dominant player at Wimbledon, not Serena. And Venus was my pick.

Let me see if I understand your logic.

Kim is in a league of her own at the USO, as you put it, because she won the USO once 6 years ago, didn't play for four years, then won it the last two times.

But Serena, the player who had made it to three straight finals, who had won it twice in a row, the most recent time without dropping a set, was not "dominant" at Wimbledon? Not only was she not dominant, but Venus, who had LOST to Serena the last time they faced each other at Wimbledon, and failed to reached the final last year IS?

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around this.

Mike81
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Sabine Lisicki :) well I know few would take her chances seriously on hardcourts and she has no real pedigree at the U.S. Open but noone much (apart from her fans like me) expected a semi final place at Wimbledon, so I hope she continues to exceed 'expert' expectations.

ArcticMoose
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Daniela Hantuchova. Looming Serena and Azarenka a la Doha are among her seven victims. Pray hard your favourites don't draw her.

:yeah:Yup, Completely agree with you, considering her terrific performance by picking up the Pattaya City Slam :worship:& her Finalist showing at the Birmingham Slam :cool:. Hope she can pick up the Stanford Slam :angel: too before USO to cap a great year at the GSs ;) …...

:crying2:All KvittyGOAT fans on-knees:unsure: :sad:praying hard :help::bigcry:………................................. ...................................:p

SerenaClijsters
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I hope an unseeded looming player ranked out of the Top 150 wins this.

But of course .. wishful thinking. :sobbing:

jimmy_the_greek
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I think it will be between Venus, Serena, Kim or Masha. I will vote for Serena assuming she begins to pick up her form as the matches progress during the tournament.

bobito
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:20 PM
At this stage there are three questions that spring to mind;

1. How will Petra Kvitova react to winning Wimbledon? It's possible that the pressure of expectation will be more than she can handle, as was the case with Ivanovic, though Petra seems an altogether more grounded individual. More likely it will give her a confidence boost, in which case she has to be the favourite. Her demolition of Wickmeyer in the 4th round of Wimbledon was frightening.

2. Can Serena Williams get her game back to the level it was at last year? She'll be 30 years old come Flushing Meadow. That is an age at which nearly all players are in decline even under ideal circumstances. Can even Serena take 11 months off and still find her best tennis at that age? Only a fool would write her off but it's a big ask.

3. Can Kim Clijsters get match fit and in form in time? If she's fit by the start of the American hardcourt season then there will be plenty of opportunities to play herself into match fitness and form but a couple of early exits in the lead up tournaments would leave her woefully short of matches.

If all three of these girls at at their best, my money is on Kvitova. It took Serena's A game to stop her at last year's Wimbledon and she gave Kim a real hiding in the Paris final in February. Since then she's improved as a player and, after Wimbledon, probably a more confident one.

theFutureisNow
Jul 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
This is my guess as of today-

Favorites-Kvitova, Sharapova, Serena
2nd tier-Clijsters, Azarenka, Wozniacki, Li
Long shot to no shot-Zvonareva, Venus

18majors
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Maria, I'm sure.

Mynarco
Jul 5th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Hard to say.

dsanders06
Jul 5th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Let me see if I understand your logic.

Kim is in a league of her own at the USO, as you put it, because she won the USO once 6 years ago, didn't play for four years, then won it the last two times.

But Serena, the player who had made it to three straight finals, who had won it twice in a row, the most recent time without dropping a set, was not "dominant" at Wimbledon? Not only was she not dominant, but Venus, who had LOST to Serena the last time they faced each other at Wimbledon, and failed to reached the final last year IS?

I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around this.

What's so hard to understand? No-one has beaten Kim at the US Open in eight years and she has a 21-match winning streak there, therefore is completely dominant. At Wimbledon, no-one even comes close to that level of dominance (before this year, Serena last lost there in 2008, and before that had gone 5 years without even making the semis), so Venus is the CLOSEST to being dominant there.

Solidus
Jul 5th, 2011, 06:42 PM
The two most important questions of this torunament is firstly, can Serena Williams recapture her form that allowed her to dominate the WTA for years (although interrupedly), and secondly how well does Kvitova's game translat to North American hard courts?

Excelscior
Jul 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM
The two most important questions of this torunament is firstly, can Serena Williams recapture her form that allowed her to dominate the WTA for years (although interrupedly), and secondly how well does Kvitova's game translat to North American hard courts?

Ya! That sounds like two good questions. Lol.

Additional questions would be, how does Sharapova, Azarenka, Vera, Li Na and Clijsters respond, and what will Wozniaki do on her self stated "favorite surface" coming off another Grand Slam disappointment? :help:

Stonerpova
Jul 5th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Ivanovic duh

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 6th, 2011, 01:01 AM
What's so hard to understand? No-one has beaten Kim at the US Open in eight years and she has a 21-match winning streak there, therefore is completely dominant. At Wimbledon, no-one even comes close to that level of dominance (before this year, Serena last lost there in 2008, and before that had gone 5 years without even making the semis), so Venus is the CLOSEST to being dominant there.

Finalist two years ago = more dominant than winner the last two years.

Gotcha.

Malkmus_
Jul 6th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I'm gonna go for Azarenka.

lang26
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:47 AM
It really all depend on the draw and if player like Venus, Kim & Serena are at they're best and not injury if they're not injury and at they're best it going be all not only for caro but for all wta female player. but if them three playing bad and not well, player like Wozniacki,Zvonareva,Azarenka,Sharapova,Li, Na,Kvitova, Pavlyuchenkova, Radwanska,Jankovic,Lisicki and even Hantuchova she been playing well in slam lately. can make a good run or even win the title

lang26
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:53 AM
I been a fan of Kvitova since the Brisbane International this year I seen her play before for time to time in past through but she really grow on this year but I notice alot people always say she not good on Hard court WHy she play well at AO. can someone example that

gc-spurs
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Its gonna be a past slam winner. I'm ruling out the n00bs who haven't been initiated into as Maria says 'the grand slam club'.

Serena- you know she wants it. She's not holding a slam at the moment and she doesn't like it. Kim- at USO, you gotta consider her for sure... but even last year didn't play great, what more this year? Maria- she loves the night stage and is really gonna want it after coming close to the euroslams, plus has the advantage of playing on home soil, but is likely to crumble at the important stages. Kvitova- high win% for the year and fresh off a Wimblewin, defs can't count her out but will have to see how she works out on US HC. NaNa- has had an up and down year with her maiden slam and was unfortunate to draw Vamps in Wimbly, reckon she won't win but will have some carnage behind her.

hpme
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:32 AM
One of Slam winners of 2011 will win USO
Caro will lose before QF for her health reason :angel:

Lin Lin
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Can't wait:bounce:

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I'm gonna go for Azarenka.

Interesting!!!! You seem confident!!!! That would be brilliant for her. I hope Masha but i have a feeling the Woz is gonna do it. She is deffo most comfortable on a hard court and i think her time has come.

longtin23
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Peng Shuai :):)

Malkmus_
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Interesting!!!! You seem confident!!!! That would be brilliant for her. I hope Masha but i have a feeling the Woz is gonna do it. She is deffo most comfortable on a hard court and i think her time has come.

I'm not really confident, I honestly don't have a clue who's going to win! It's so hard to pick. I just have a feeling it will be another first timer, so yeah maybe Wozniacki as well.

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I'm not really confident, I honestly don't have a clue who's going to win! It's so hard to pick. I just have a feeling it will be another first timer, so yeah maybe Wozniacki as well.

Yeah i don't know why but i have a pic in my head of the Woz winning it.

bandabou
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:38 AM

:haha: :rolls: OMG! :facepalm: So I guess actually PLAYING hurts you more than waiting 4 years. :lol:

Pops Maellard
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Too early for a thread Golden Lin. :awww:

GoofyDuck
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I hope JJ :)

doomsday
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:20 AM

:lol: it doesn't work that way :lol: she didn't play in 2006 and 2007 she was not the one to beat during those years and Maria and Henin reached a level of play in US that Kim can only dream of, Kim has a better consistency on HC but peak Maria and peak Henin were too good for Kim(2005/2009 and 2010).
I don't care if they didn't face her when they won she would have lost because they were simply better and near their peak the fact that Kim didn't show up those years doesn't accentuate her dominance, I'd say it's the other way around.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Right now its impossible to know what form Kim & Serena will be in come late August. They won it the last 3 years
Venus played some good tennis last year.
For the older players, this is their last swing of the bat in 2011
The younger players have years & years to win this

Apoleb
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:28 AM
At this point, I'd still go with Kim as the favorite. Serena won't win it if she doesn't get her return game up to scratch. Her serve won't be as effective as it is on grass.

Sharapova/Kvitova are looming right behind. And who knows, LaPush might finally break through here.

No chance for Vera, Penuts, Azarenka and others.

Pops Maellard
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:31 AM
At this point, I'd still go with Kim as the favorite. Serena won't win it if she doesn't get her return game up to scratch. Her serve won't be as effective as it is on grass.

Sharapova/Kvitova are looming right behind. And who knows, LaPush might finally break through here.

No chance for Vera, Penuts, Azarenka and others.

Lapushchenkova's returning? :hearts:

thetennistimes
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I think Li Na will cause an upset!

borrowedheaven
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:16 PM
:lol: it doesn't work that way :lol: she didn't play in 2006 and 2007 she was not the one to beat during those years and Maria and Henin reached a level of play in US that Kim can only dream of, Kim has a better consistency on HC but peak Maria and peak Henin were too good for Kim(2005/2009 and 2010).
I don't care if they didn't face her when they won she would have lost because they were simply better and near their peak the fact that Kim didn't show up those years doesn't accentuate her dominance, I'd say it's the other way around.

Henin at her best was scary, but Maria, even at her best, will always have weaknesses that can be exploited by anyone of the big four. Maria is an amazing competitor and she did great to win 3 slams, but she lacks the real talent.

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I think Li Na will cause an upset!

Oh god not again:mad:

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Elena Baltacha. :rocker2:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

18majors
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Maria is due.

kimslam
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I have to agree with borrowedheaven, I don't see Sharapova as a very talented tennisplayer. I would put the likes of Schnyder,Conchita Martinez,Kuznetsova,...forward as being more talented! If you look at how she moves on the court,there are a lot of tall girls who move more naturally e.g. Venus,Goerges,Wickmayer,... . And her volleys, they don't look very natural. She's a girl who has practiced and practiced her groundstrokes like a machine and with the accuracy and pace she can blow people off court. Winning a lot of matches doesn't make you talented at tennis in the true meaning of the word talented.

MiiMo
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM

Kvitova ? Big Four ? How dare you compare Kim, Serena and Maria's achievements to Petra's. They are all multiple slam champions and former Nr.1 while Petra won a single slam and reached Nr.7 at her best.

I guess Petra Kvitova is totally overrated since she's one Wimbledon.

Novichok
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I have to agree with borrowedheaven, I don't see Sharapova as a very talented tennisplayer. I would put the likes of Schnyder,Conchita Martinez,Kuznetsova,...forward as being more talented! If you look at how she moves on the court,there are a lot of tall girls who move more naturally e.g. Venus,Goerges,Wickmayer,... . And her volleys, they don't look very natural. She's a girl who has practiced and practiced her groundstrokes like a machine and with the accuracy and pace she can blow people off court. Winning a lot of matches doesn't make you talented at tennis in the true meaning of the word talented.

Even though I don't like Sharapova, I think it's a bit much to claim that she isn't very talented.:lol:

Sombrerero loco
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM
the woz

BluSthil
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Any of these girls could win the US Open: Serena, Maria, Petra or Li. If everyone of the girls named above comes into the US Open healthy, we ought to be very entertained !!! I don't believe Kim will go past the quarter finals.

Graftard
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Kvitova ? Big Four ? How dare you compare Kim, Serena and Maria's achievements to Petra's. They are all multiple slam champions and former Nr.1 while Petra won a single slam and reached Nr.7 at her best.

I guess Petra Kvitova is totally overrated since she's one Wimbledon.

Kvitova is not part of the big 4. She's the best player in the world right now.

Come US Open, these so called elite players will finally find out they can't BS their way through chokers to easy slams anymore (see: Kim's AO this year)

kenjai7373
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM
My vote goes to Li Na. If she plays consistently, she will have a chance to win.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Maria is due.

I didn't know she was expecting? :awww:

Her and Sasha will have cute (and tall) kids :)

Markobojo
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Serena
Kim
Venus
Wozniacki
Kvitova

!VamosRafa!
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Well...I know who WONT win
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmqzauIEqo1qd5c84.gif
:devil:

Derek.
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:36 AM
This has been Caro's best slam the last couple of years, so if she underperforms here, there would be a reason to worry.

duhcity
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Kim isn't winning. Kuznetsova will beat her in the 3rd round and Kim will retire in the second week.
And Svetlana will go down in history as the player who forced the two Belgians out in one year :hearts:

Maria rocks
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:32 AM
This has been Caro's best slam the last couple of years, so if she underperforms here, there would be a reason to worry.

Yeah i agree. She definately looks most comfortable on a hard court.

Maria rocks
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Maria is due.

I reaaly really hope Maria wins it. It would make up for that heart breaking Wimbledon loss for her:)

!VamosRafa!
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I reaaly really hope Maria wins it. It would make up for that heart breaking Wimbledon loss for her:)

1) She wont win :tape:
2) the loss in Wimby wasn't heart breaking at all :lol: she wasn't even close to winning and she had a great run so all is fine :)

!VamosRafa!
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Kim isn't winning. Kuznetsova will beat her in the 3rd round and Kim will retire in the second week.
And Svetlana will go down in history as the player who forced the two Belgians out in one year :hearts:

OMG I love your idea :hearts:
Belgian tennis players = EVIL :o

kimslam
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Don't make me laugh; Caro has a better shot at the US Open than Clijsters!!!!

Maria rocks
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Don't make me laugh; Caro has a better shot at the US Open than Clijsters!!!!

Is Clijsters going to even compete at the US this year?

Setsuna.
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Jelena Jankovic.

Sassymoo
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Na Li. She can play on hard. She is a slam champ now.
If not her, Kvitova. She could blow everyone of the court.
Then...I don't think anyone. Not Maria. That serve is not going to cut it. Serena? She is a huge possibility but we need to see her closer to the tourney. Not Venus, sorry. I am a fan but those days are done. Woz-no! It is not going to happen this year. Her confidence has to be ruined after the last few months. And Kim? That final retirement is coming very soon.

18majors
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Can't believe Serena is leading. Where is Bartoli when we need her.

MiiMo
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I can't believe that the Woz' is the 3rd favored here to win the USO while she never managed to win a single slam ... I mean IMO, even Li Na or Petra have a better chance to do so.

Serena/Maria/Kim : Those 3 will compete for the title.

missvarsha
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:55 PM
No one is stopping the Saint.

mdx
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:04 PM
If Petra plays at least as well as in Wimbledon she can beat anybody. I am prone to be biased but I'm trying to judge from what I've seen.

Now there's a question whether she can keep such a high standard. If she's healthy it's all about the head. Hard court or grass does not matter to her. From what I've heard so far she stays humble and keeps her feet firmly on the ground, knowing one grand slam might be first of many or it might be just a one-time luck. For me it's a good sign that the "head" might be all right. I cannot wait for Rogers Cup, I guess it will tell a lot.

NoppaNoppa
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:09 PM
If Serena is fit she wins. If Kim is fit she wins. If both are fit. Um. If Serena and Kim are not fit Sabine wins!!

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:14 PM
If Petra plays at least as well as in Wimbledon she can beat anybody. I am prone to be biased but I'm trying to judge from what I've seen.

Now there's a question whether she can keep such a high standard. If she's healthy it's all about the head. Hard court or grass does not matter to her. From what I've heard so far she stays humble and keeps her feet firmly on the ground, knowing one grand slam might be first of many or it might be just a one-time luck. For me it's a good sign that the "head" might be all right. I cannot wait for Rogers Cup, I guess it will tell a lot.

That's a big "If."

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I can't believe that the Woz' is the 3rd favored here to win the USO while she never managed to win a single slam ... I mean IMO, even Li Na or Petra have a better chance to do so.

Serena/Maria/Kim : Those 3 will compete for the title.I think if anyone objectively looks at Wozniacki's hard court results - F, SF last 2 USO's. Holding titles at Rogers Cup, Tokyo, Beijing, Dubai, IW - all Tier I's. Final YEC, SF of AO.

Objectively her hardcourt form suggests she has a chance at this major.

Mynarco
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Kuznetsova.

The Witch-king
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:19 AM
none of these HOES

PMBH
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM

Serena/Maria/Kim : Those 3 will compete for the title.

:confused: You honestly believe Maria has a better chance of winning than Caro? Sharapova couldn't even take the Wimby title despite a cakewalk draw on her favourite surface. She received a thorough beating the first time she met anyone ranked better than 20.

Caro has pummelled Maria the last two times they have met on hardcourt; at last year's USO (score: 6-3, 6-4) and the Indian Wells semis this year (6-1, 6-2). She is obviously the better of the two on that surface.

MiiMo
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM
:confused: You honestly believe Maria has a better chance of winning than Caro? Sharapova couldn't even take the Wimby title despite a cakewalk draw on her favourite surface. She received a thorough beating the first time she met anyone ranked better than 20.

Caro has pummelled Maria the last two times they have met on hardcourt; at last year's USO (score: 6-3, 6-4) and the Indian Wells semis this year (6-1, 6-2). She is obviously the better of the two on that surface.

Actually, comparing IW's hardcourts and USO's one, isn't objective as the first is really slow and the second really fast.

In add, Maria has a huge advantage over Caroline : SHE knows how to win Grand Slams, because she did it before, three times... While Caro...
Talking about cakewalks, Caroline, in Wimbledon, lost against the first Top25 player she met so ...

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Actually, comparing IW's hardcourts and USO's one, isn't objective as the first is really slow and the second really fast.

In add, Maria has a huge advantage over Caroline : SHE knows how to win Grand Slams, because she did it before, three times... While Caro...
Talking about cakewalks, Caroline, in Wimbledon, lost against the first Top25 player she met so ...Maria lost at the last 2 majors to players who didnt 'know' how to win a major, before that she lost at majors to Petkovic & Caro, Oudin, Kirilenko, Alla K, Dulko. None of them know how to win a major.

madmax
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Maria lost at the last 2 majors to players who didnt 'know' how to win a major, before that she lost at majors to Petkovic & Caro, Oudin, Kirilenko, Alla K, Dulko. None of them know how to win a major.

:facepalm:
Maria lost to eventual slam winners in the last two majors, meaning that she was at least one of the best players in the draw...when was the last time your precious Push lost to eventual slam champion? Was it Sexa last year at the French?:lol:

DragonFlame
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:03 PM
:facepalm:
Maria lost to eventual slam winners in the last two majors, meaning that she was at least one of the best players in the draw...when was the last time your precious Push lost to eventual slam champion? Was it Sexa last year at the French?:lol:

Still, she's losing convincingly to the real contenders, mostly because her serve can't live up to her ground game anymore.(and i'm pretty sure her groundies don't have the same speed as they had before as well) She's comparable to Azarenka right now, beats everyone she should beat but loses convincingly to people that play their game better then them right now.

Maria won't be winning this usopen from what i saw from her this year, her game just isn't ready.

MiiMo
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Maria lost at the last 2 majors to players who didnt 'know' how to win a major, before that she lost at majors to Petkovic & Caro, Oudin, Kirilenko, Alla K, Dulko. None of them know how to win a major.

Your Sweet Caroline lost to Cibulkova and Hantuchova in the last two slams.
Last year, she also lost to Petra Kvitova in Wimbledon. In the AO 2011, Caroline lost to Li Na and so did Maria in RG 2011.
What else, Hummm, Well, Caroline NEVER won a slam yet.

So, Yes, Maria has a better shot to win this USO :)

MiiMo
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Still, she's losing convincingly to the real contenders, mostly because her serve can't live up to her ground game anymore.(and i'm pretty sure her groundies don't have the same speed as they had before as well) She's comparable to Azarenka right now, beats everyone she should beat but loses convincingly to people that play their game better then them right now.

And that's a Dementieva fan speaking :help:

DragonFlame
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:09 PM
And that's a Dementieva fan speaking :help:

I'm speaking the truth. Did elena win slams? no. Maria's game just isn't ready to win slams right now. There needs to be a real change before it is ready, i don't think her shoulder will be able to add the extra MPH and serve a match consistently well.

madmax
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:11 PM

I'm not talking about her actual game here, but results only...I know perfectly well that she struggles with her serve and that was the main reason she lost in both slams lately. And no, she's not comparable with Azarenka because she doesn't play like her and she can't grind out points due to her lack of proper footwork. I disagree about her ground game - it was the only reason why she even reached Wimby final without losing a set. Her ground game is the most consistent since her injury break, which reflects in her results and ranking

dsanders06
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM

:help: Maria leads the head-to-head 3-2.

Slutiana
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM

Well first, grass isn't even close to being Sharapova's best surface. It's probably her worst in her current serve-less state. Everyone knows that. And plus, a slam final is a slam final - her run to the title was certainly better than Wozniacki's only final almost 2 years ago now.

Secondly, Wozniacki was in exactly the same section at Wimbledon and lost to the player that Maria lost two games to. So don't even go there.

And third, Sharapova has played a far higher level of tennis over the last 2 months than the level she was at both in Indian Wells and the US Open last year. We'll see how that translates to hardcourts. Really, anything could happen in this hardcourt season, so stop getting complacent.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Maria won't be winning this usopen from what i saw from her this year, her game just isn't ready.I think both Vika & Maria have a chance. Who is coming in to this summer with clearly better hardcourt form?

thetennistimes
Jul 9th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Actually.. second thoughts I think Clijsters!

!VamosRafa!
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Maria won't be winning this usopen from what i saw from her this year, her game just isn't ready.

I'm a Masha fan, but I agree with you. She plays good tennis UNTIL the SF or final where her serve completely lets her down andthen the rest of her game completely falls apart...I think it's completely mental though as she is now one of the mental midgets.If that changes next year and if she gets able not to choke in important stages she will win a Slam :D

carling
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I would love to see Serena or Maria win the Open! However, I'm going with Maria this year because I'm not conviced Serena can play herself into championship form in the next month, not this time.

Let's face it. Poor Serena is coming back from a major injury, a pulmonary embolism, and a hematoma. I don't think most people grasp the seriousness of these conditions and how easily she could have died. The fact that Serena is playing tennis at all is good enough for me. Any success she has on court in 2011 is a bonus. I'm just happy she's alive and well. :angel:

As for my girl, Maria, semis at the French, final at Wimbledon, and winner at the Open. Third time's the charm, y'all. GO MARIA!!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Stamp Paid
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Dead @ Serena winning.
Maria or Kvitova

ivan55k
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:49 PM
kim clijsters. she is the best hard court player of her generation.

Roookie
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:08 PM
If Kim isn't playing well I think Serena has a chance.

18majors
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Serena is leading and Woz No. 3, this poll can't be right.

NedRise
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Vika left out of the top 8? She's still better than Kvitova on HC, I think. Serena's hard to predict, so we'll see. I would still go with Vika (and still hope Caro, but she's going through some tough times).

Break My Rapture
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I'm sorry but last year, weren't posters (I think predominantly Serena fans if I'm not mistaken) calling Sharapova terribly overrated because she was winning every WWW [insert tournament] poll on here (due to her large base of fanboys/girls anyway)? Wimbledon poll of this year had Serena at 1 (even if she had barely played matches in a whole year) and she lost in the 4th round, so aren't Serena fans doing the same thing now? :p Lets see what her result will be here. Just saying.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 10th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I'm sorry but last year, weren't posters (I think predominantly Serena fans if I'm not mistaken) calling Sharapova terribly overrated because she was winning every WWW [insert tournament] poll on here (due to her large base of fanboys/girls anyway)? Wimbledon poll of this year had Serena at 1 (even if she had barely played matches in a whole year) and she lost in the 4th round, so aren't Serena fans doing the same thing now? :p Lets see what her result will be here. Just saying.

An in form Serena won two slams last year. An in form Sharapova struggled to make it to the second week of a slam for a couple of years. It's not really the same.

Break My Rapture
Jul 10th, 2011, 12:58 AM
An in form Serena won two slams last year. An in form Sharapova struggled to make it to the second week of a slam for a couple of years. It's not really the same.
It has nothing to do with Serena's AO and Wimbers title from last year, it's about her being ranked 1 in the poll for this year's Wimbledon despite having barely played for a whole year and went out prematurely. It IS the same actually.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 10th, 2011, 01:12 AM
It has nothing to do with Serena's AO and Wimbers title from last year, it's about her being ranked 1 in the poll for this year's Wimbledon despite having barely played for a whole year and went out prematurely. It IS the same actually.

I thought we were discussing THIS poll.

And a lot of non Serena fans had her pegged as Winning as well. If Serena fans were enough to skew the results of polls, she'd have won that most likable personality poll as well, and she didn't.

Xstrain
Jul 10th, 2011, 01:48 AM

The first 10 (and a quarter) years of her career...Wimbledon 99 thru Wimbledon 09.
..........41 slam events are held. She misses 15 (37%)…..makes finals in 5/26 tourneys - ONE title..

Generally the first ten years of a player's career one would expect that their performance trajectory is on the upswing.....It took 6 years ('99-'05) to win her first title..

First six years..1-4 in slam finals ...

FO 2001 - lost to Capriati in final

FO 03, USO 03 & AO 04 lost to Justine in three consecutive finals
(Ironically in their first two encounters she beat Justine..FO-01 SF, AO-02 QF (Overall 2-5 H-to-H )

USO 05- first win...against Pierce...does not defend title following yr..

Afterwards.. loses 3 straight SF's in 2006.. Mauresomo (AO) and twice to Henin (Wimbledon, FO) and misses USO-06. Then loses 4th consecutive SF to Sharapova at AO-07...then retires... from FR-07 thru WIM 09 a total of 10 tournaments..

Upon her return...from USO-09..thru WIM-11...8 tournaments held...missed 2... and made 3 finals and wins 3 titles in her first 5 tournaments.

So in about a 16 month period since her return...she wins three times as many slam titles as she did during her first 10 years….and this happens towards the end of her projected career after an almost 3 year absence...

So 3 trophies/5 tournaments...vs..1 trophy/26 tournaments...

3-0 in slam finals..vs.....1-4 in slam finals...

So even though, so far, she has accumulated 3 of 4 career trophies in a hurry,....
Did her performance, skill level, mentality, etc.. get spectacularly better during those 3 retirement years.?.
Prior to her comeback she had never won more than one slam in a season, (she only had one anyway)… she had never successfully defended a title, and had only once made it to consecutive slam finals…,
No Olympic achievements,….and for the Wozniacki critics…Kim was the first player to be top ranked by the WTA without first winning a Grand Slam singles title.

Or was she basically the fortunate beneficiary of and took advantage of the following realties...

1....a generally "weaker" WTA roster and generation of up and coming players?
2...The absence, retirement, decline and or injury of the players who were her major roadblocks/competition during her peak years?
3...The fact that because she missed over a third, 35% (17/49), of the slams held in the 12yr period since '99, there is considerably less wear and tear on her body compared to her contemporaries whether active or retired.. e.g. Venus, Serena, Justine, Kim have played 255, 233, 168, 155 Slam matches respectively.

4... and she is also the youngest of the American-Belgian Quartet (Venus '80, Serena '81, Justine '82 and Kim '83) that so impacted the last decade and more. So far ABQ have won 60% of all slam titles..(31/51) since ’99…and..2/3 Olympic singles gold medals…2/3 doubles gold….in the last three Olympics..

Of course in addition to the A-B trio..other slam winners/finalists like Davenport, Hingis, Capriati,.Sharapova, Mauresmo, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Jankovic , etc., made the WTA quite competitive depending on the particular year they were in form…

Nevertheless compared to the overwhelming majority of men & women tennis players
who will not make it to a final much less win a grand slam....she has had a very, very successful, Hall of Fame, tennis career and ranked among the best players to ever play the game..

but to be considered among the "greats" ..i.e.. having changed the sport in some way, or broadened the audience, or having memorable triumphs..or being part of spectacular games, setting new standards of achievement, winning against all odds..etc., etc.,…

No disrespect….I just don’t think Kim will be remembered in that way…. but with career prize money probably around $25M…I don’t think she cares..! But on the plus side she does play in the highest profile sport for women…

The common quality among the top tier of athletes is that in some way or other they transcended their sport to become a household name…

Even if you are not a fan of a particular sport….there are names that when mentioned are immediately
Identifiable…whether active or retired..…Whether you like ice- hockey, soccer, golf, swimming, track& field, boxing, ..etc, etc, etc., You know the names..Wayne Gretzky, David Beckham, Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps, Mike Tyson, Jordan, Kobe, Lebron..etc. etc…

and Clijsters…Hmm??

Conversation circa 2021..among some young female tennis fans…under 21…outside BJK Tennis Center..

Brittney: “oh..Yea…Yea..Yea…I remember she was that player that Serena lost the game against when she “threatened” that little Asian lineswoman at the US Open …”I’ll shove that ball down you’re effing throat..” Ha..Ha..Ha..!!!

Laura: Yea..I remember now…She had a kid too didn’t she..? Yea…yea..a little girl…yea I remember the paparazzi and tv cameras were taking a lot of pictures on the court after she won the trophy and making a really big fuss about the fact that she was a mom….and had basically rolled out of bed one day like after 3 years or somethin’ and came to NY and won the freaking US Open…!! Her daughter was like 2 or 3 years old..I think ..she was a cutie though... but her husband was bit dorky looking though…Ha!!

Anna: Mmm…yea I remember her too…’cause..she always wore those crappy outfits..like something you’d just pick up off the floor at Walmart or somethin…..ugh !!… ….Oh..well….what’s she up to these days anyway? What?..TMZ sez she’s involved in a really mess, messy. divorce…
Her husband was messin’ around with someone..I think another tennis player …I’ll have to go check the Smokin’ Gun website..and see who it is? God..I wonder if it’s Justine?? Ha! Ha! Ha!

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 10th, 2011, 01:53 AM

Yet Serena, according to you, was not dominant at Wimbledon despite having won it the past two years prior to 2011.

Novichok
Jul 10th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Conversation circa 2021..among some young female tennis fans…under 21…outside BJK Tennis Center..

Brittney: “oh..Yea…Yea..Yea…I remember she was that player that Serena lost the game against when she “threatened” that little Asian lineswoman at the US Open …”I’ll shove that ball down you’re effing throat..” Ha..Ha..Ha..!!!

Laura: Yea..I remember now…She had a kid too didn’t she..? Yea…yea..a little girl…yea I remember the paparazzi and tv cameras were taking a lot of pictures on the court after she won the trophy and making a really big fuss about the fact that she was a mom….and had basically rolled out of bed one day like after 3 years or somethin’ and came to NY and won the freaking US Open…!! Her daughter was like 2 or 3 years old..I think ..she was a cutie though... but her husband was bit dorky looking though…Ha!!

Anna: Mmm…yea I remember her too…’cause..she always wore those crappy outfits..like something you’d just pick up off the floor at Walmart or somethin…..ugh !!… ….Oh..well….what’s she up to these days anyway? What?..TMZ sez she’s involved in a really mess, messy. divorce…
Her husband was messin’ around with someone..I think another tennis player …I’ll have to go check the Smokin’ Gun website..and see who it is? God..I wonder if it’s Justine?? Ha! Ha! Ha!

:angel:

Hurley
Jul 10th, 2011, 01:55 AM
8 miles of crap

tl;dr.

edificio
Jul 10th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Too hard to say since we don't know how people are playing on hard courts yet.

BepaMaria
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Can't believe only 5 people voted for Zvonareva in the poll:facepalm:. I think this time its gonna be between Vera and Masha with the WS as dark horses if they are playing well again. The others have zero chance of winning.

MiiMo
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Can't believe only 5 people voted for Zvonareva in the poll:facepalm:. I think this time its gonna be between Vera and Masha with the WS as dark horses if they are playing well again. The others have zero chance of winning.

I actually understand why Zvonareva has only 5 votes. I mean, she's been playing so poorly this year and if she does not regroup quickly, her ranking will fall appart.

Linguae^
Jul 10th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Whaat?! No Ana Resurging Ivanovic here? You are deadly wrong. :help:

terjw
Jul 10th, 2011, 11:32 AM

When it comes to serious money and amounts that are going to determine the odds - as oppposed to a £5 flutter - people don't like to throw their money away no matter how much they like their fav. Booking odds are the most realistic guage for who is most likely to win compared with anything else if based on people putting their money where there mouth is. Certainly more than TF polls which are based way more on who posters hate or like and really are useless indicators.

Wert.
Jul 10th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Venus W

gc-spurs
Jul 10th, 2011, 12:10 PM

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgba4h7QyL1qccm57o1_r1_500.gif

Serena_Williams_
Jul 10th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I think it will be quite a wide opened tournament:
The Woz can still get blown away by some ballbashet on a day
Kim is a complete mystery
Vera is not in the best form but she is solid on HC
Vika is there but she has never really done well there
Petra i hope keeps her Wimby form and she needs to play consistent to be a contender for the title
Venus is...well not playing good lately but i expect her to somehow do well there
Maria is a contender of course but serve is way too inconsistent but she still will be the one to beat
And Serena...I really don't know what to expect from this girl.Considering her rank it looks to me USO will be a AO 2007 but maybe not with the same result like there
So yea this tournament i wide opened

18majors
Jul 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Maria, Serena and Petra are the ones to beat.

Siderophyre
Jul 10th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Well. I just can't believe you guys aren't considering Polona Hercog! She's just won her first WTA title after obliterating very stiff competition at the Swedish Open in Bastaad. Yes it was on clay, yes the number 1 seed retired, yes other players were too busy taking phone calls on court at match point, and yes she choked the first time she served for it. However, I think this victory clearly illustrates the depth, the quality and the excitement that define the WTA in 2011.

So my pick? Polona Hercog in 3 tight sets (6-0, 0-6, 6-0) over Akgul Amanmuradova. Victory on a DF at match point.

BartoliBabes
Jul 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM
i honestly think Marion Bartoli has a good chance and is seriously being overlooked here (as per usual:rolleyes:) i don't see a Williams lifting it (certainly not Venus anyways:tape:) Masha recently seems unusually frail mentally and unable to play 100% when it comes to the really big matches (why?:() Kvitova will probably have a hard time staying consistent (but if she does can anyone seriously stop her?:hearts:) and what is going on with Clijsters? i sense no passion at all right now (regardless of supposed injuries:help:) Bepa ain't gonna win but please by all means prove me otherwise:p pretty sure Schiavone and Stosur won't win:lol: but gotta admit Wozniacki has a big chance:o and who knows with Li Na? she played pretty well despite losing at SW19:wavey: Petkovic could be ready to step into top10 too:bounce: gonna be an exciting tournament with no clear favourite as of yet:D

Aramitz_II
Jul 10th, 2011, 02:19 PM
When it comes to serious money and amounts that are going to determine the odds - as oppposed to a £5 flutter - people don't like to throw their money away no matter how much they like their fav. Booking odds are the most realistic guage for who is most likely to win compared with anything else if based on people putting their money where there mouth is. Certainly more than TF polls which are based way more on who posters hate or like and really are useless indicators.

Agreed, to some extent. The problem i have is that it is too early. People betting now, consist for most part of fans, closer to the actually event there will bee more real gambler's who make calculated betting and therefore making better predictions.

The real problem is if you for eksample have a match where 90% thinks that player A is sligthly better and will win, in close race. Then the numbers will not reflect the actually chance of winning. But anyhow every thing is better than TF. :D

Siderophyre
Jul 10th, 2011, 02:34 PM
i honestly think Marion Bartoli has a good chance and is seriously being overlooked here (as per usual:rolleyes:) i don't see a Williams lifting it (certainly not Venus anyways:tape:) Masha recently seems unusually frail mentally and unable to play 100% when it comes to the really big matches (why?:() Kvitova will probably have a hard time staying consistent (but if she does can anyone seriously stop her?:hearts:) and what is going on with Clijsters? i sense no passion at all right now (regardless of supposed injuries:help:) Bepa ain't gonna win but please by all means prove me otherwise:p pretty sure Schiavone and Stosur won't win:lol: but gotta admit Wozniacki has a big chance:o and who knows with Li Na? she played pretty well despite losing at SW19:wavey: Petkovic could be ready to step into top10 too:bounce: gonna be an exciting tournament with no clear favourite as of yet:D

I agree about Bartoli. Perhaps not the winner, but a good chance of having a deep run. As for Clijsters - she only plays at 2 levels these days - miraculous or utter shit. Often within the same game. So I don't see her defending. Petko won't get to the second week unless she gets a really good draw. I was surprised at how weak her game was watching her live at SW19. Stosur, ahem. Agreed she has no chance, but it would make my day if she defended her QF points. I think Woz has a chance if she doesn't play every tournament between now and the Open. Serena, Maria, Kvits and Bartoli have a good chance at semis.

!VamosRafa!
Jul 10th, 2011, 03:00 PM
kim clijsters. she is the best hard court player of her generation.

:help:Serena Williams has won 5 AO titles and 3 US Open titles and 2 YEC and 5 Miami's are an honorable mention.

So WHAT are you talking about???

Maria rocks
Jul 10th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Is Clijsters going to be fit???? Was pleased for her last year and her little daughter is adorable spitting image of Kim.

Chip.
Jul 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Kim beating Caro on the poll :hysteric:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 10th, 2011, 03:25 PM
:help:Serena Williams has won 5 AO titles and 3 US Open titles and 2 YEC and 5 Miami's are an honorable mention.

So WHAT are you talking about???

For real!

Also, Serena beat Saint Kim to win 1999 US, 2001 IW, 2003 AO, and 2003 Miami

But I mean, clearly this is TF so Kim >>>>>>>>>>> Serena

theFutureisNow
Jul 10th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Kvitova.

She may not be a huge favorite, but until someone proves they can beat her playing like this I don't think you can pick anyone else. Last years results don't matter. She is so monumentally better this year that you have to look at her current play and not historical H2Hs.

Every other player has clear weaknesses.

Sharapova-playing the second best right now, but weak serve and unclear if she can beat a top form Kvitova.
Serena- don't know if she can fully come back.
Clijsters-might be injured and Kvitova might already own her.
Wozniacki- good on hard courts but other results not good lately.
Azarenka-underrated on this forum but Kvitova owns her.
Li-Inconsistent and could decline at any time. Win over Kvitova at French Open was a fluke.

The other players aren't even worth considering- one of those 7 will win the US Open.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Kvitova.

She may not be a huge favorite, but until someone proves they can beat her playing like this I don't think you can pick anyone else.

Last years results don't matter. She is so monumentally better this year that you have to look at her current play and not historical H2Hs.

Sharapova-playing the second best right now, but weak serve and unclear if she can beat a top form Kvitova.
Li-Inconsistent and could decline at any time. Win over Kvitova at French Open was a fluke.

The other players aren't even worth considering- one of those 7 will win the US Open.

Don't buy that. She made the Wimbledon semis last year. The only thing that kept her from a title that year was Serena William's serve. So I don't see her win this eyar as indicative of massively improved play.

theFutureisNow
Jul 10th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Don't buy that. She made the Wimbledon semis last year. The only thing that kept her from a title that year was Serena William's serve. So I don't see her win this eyar as indicative of massively improved play.

It's not just Wimbledon. As I pointed out elsewhere, Kvitova went from being ranked 34th last year to 2nd so far this year.
That might be the biggest ranking improvement in tennis history for full time players.

Also, Wimbledon is by far the least fluky of the slams. Martinez and Novotna are pretty much the only fluke winners. Every other recent winner has been #1 and won multiple slams. Kvitova is going to join that list.

LCS
Jul 10th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Should be a great tournament. There will be a lot of contenders....Hoping for great matches.

terjw
Jul 10th, 2011, 04:11 PM
It's not just Wimbledon. As I pointed out elsewhere, Kvitova went from being ranked 34th last year to 2nd so far this year.
That might be the biggest ranking improvement in tennis history.

Also, Wimbledon is by far the least fluky of the slams. Martinez and Novotna are pretty much the only fluke winners. Every other recent winner has been #1 and won multiple slams. Kvitova is going to join that list.

It's good but the biggest ranking improvement in tennis history :lol: Nowhere near. For starters Kim in 2005 from something like #134 at IW to #2 after USO in 6 months. By January 2012 in a total of 10-11 months and Kim was #1. There must be loads of other examples of bigger rankings improvements than Petra's from #34 to #2 in 12 months.

Silly over-exaggerated statements like these actually detract from the good point made that she is now a better player than she was last year.

razzer
Jul 10th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I hope Woz wins US Open 2011

I realy believe Kvitova and Woz will dominate WTA in the future. they will be rivals just like graf and seles, hingis and williams. their totally contrasting playing styles should be fun to watch. :)

joão.
Jul 10th, 2011, 04:22 PM

I realy believe Kvitova and Woz will dominate WTA in the future. they will be rivals just like graf and seles, hingis and williams. their totally contrasting playing styles should be fun to watch. :)

Delusional.

theFutureisNow
Jul 10th, 2011, 04:29 PM
It's good but the biggest ranking improvement in tennis history :lol: Nowhere near. For starters Kim in 2005 from something like #134 at IW to #2 after USO in 6 months. By January 2012 in a total of 10-11 months and Kim was #1. There must be loads of other examples of bigger rankings improvements than Petra's from #34 to #2 in 12 months.

Silly over-exaggerated statements like these actually detract from the good point made that she is now a better player than she was last year.

The statement is correct.

I'm not talking about players who missed time due to injury, but full time players. Here are the best improvements for the recent top players.

Kvitova- 34 to 2

Sharapova- 32 to 4
Kuznetsova- 36 to 5
Henin- 45 to 7
Capriati- 14 to 2
Serena- 20 to 4
Venus- 22 to 5
Hingis- 16 to 4
Li- 11 to 3
Ivanovic- 14 to 4
Clijsters- 18 to 5
Davenport- 20 to 6
Myskina- 59 to 11
Mauresmo- 29 to 10
Schiavone- 17 to 7

So far I haven't found any past players who did better and no one else has pointed out any either.

18majors
Jul 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM

In your dream, yes.

Soliloque
Jul 10th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Kim beating Caro on the poll :hysteric:

The two time defending champ, unbeaten in NY since 2003 ahead of the pusher ? Go figure.

Kvitova.

She may not be a huge favorite, but until someone proves they can beat her playing like this I don't think you can pick anyone else. Last years results don't matter. She is so monumentally better this year that you have to look at her current play and not historical H2Hs.

Have a look at the H2H.

razzer
Jul 10th, 2011, 04:34 PM
woz vs kvitova on hardcourt is 2-0, right?