PDA

View Full Version : Worst way to lose a match?

spokenword73
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
I have often wondered what is the most devestating way to lose a tennis match. For those of you who play, does it matter how you lose, or is a loss a loss?

Sammo
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:48 PM
If you don't care anymore then I guess none, but if it's something like 5-7 6-3 5-4 40-30 you're trying to get into the match again and your opponent hits a netcord and wins your face would be like this

http://www.grapesofrad.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/FUUUU.jpeg

manu32
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:49 PM
Umpire bad overruling..

Solitaire
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:52 PM
DF is just mentally crushing.

LoLex
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:54 PM
The third option. It is the most frustrated when you can't catch the ball that is passing you when you stand at the net. Netcords are always somehow funny and you can think the other is lucky bitch and deal with it. After double fault all the emotions and stress are gone away, so it's sometimes kinda relief. As for the ace, you just cannot do anything.

PLP
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:00 PM
Missed overheads are the worst!

Linguae^
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:17 PM
*points at safina and this video* :oh:
R5oFDp2Mz8c
Feeling so sad for Safina. :sobbing:

Junzilla69
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:20 PM
DF, even though it happens a lot.

Jane Lane
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:41 PM
Missed smash. Because there was the option to let it bounce if you're positioned right on the court.

If that makes sense. :lol: It does in my head.

young_gunner913
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:44 PM
Missed smash. Because there was the option to let it bounce if you're positioned right on the court.

If that makes sense. :lol: It does in my head.

Makes perfect sense to me and is why I don't hit overhead smashes anymore cause I always get too anxious and fuck them up. I think it's one of the worst ways to lose a match. I'm immune to feeling anything when I double fault since it happens so frequently.

LoLex
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:46 PM
I forgot about drop shot in the net, or even more pathetic, drop shot that goes out :sobbing:

hurricanejeanne
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:48 PM
Voted for double fault because it's the only shot a player has complete control of. Missed smashed is also pretty bad.

dsanders06
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:56 PM
Double-fault, for sure. You atleast want to give your opponent a chance to fuck it up even if you push in a powderpuff second-serve.

I imagine a missed smash would be similarly devasting, although I never really miss them because I always let it bounce first, because I just don't have the footwork to take them from the air :lol:

Noctis
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:01 AM
DF Or a easy shot ball.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Umpire bad overruling..
Yeah, that's definitely the worst. Those other things are the result of things either you or your opponent do, but to lose a match because of a bad descision from a third party is much harder to accept.

Noctis
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:05 AM
*points at safina and this video* :oh:
R5oFDp2Mz8c
Feeling so sad for Safina. :sobbing:

btw who's kugtyatua

Wiggly
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:08 AM
If you foot fault in the tie-break of the 3rd set.

Noctis
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Actually 'injury' This Wins. Thread Closed.

SVK
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:13 AM
If you foot fault in the tie-break of the 3rd set.

You beat me, I was going to post exactly the same...+ example

DnQp9YoLl68

Hopefully mods wonīt kill me and wonīt delete it...this is just an example for this topic, I donīt wanna start a discusion about ATP match or sth like that.

Jane Lane
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:16 AM
That is pretty bad. That wins.

:lol: But that commentator :haha: ".....That is the worst thing I think I've ever seen........He's smashing his racket......He's turned over the chairrrrrr."

That should be an option. :haha:

selyoink
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:19 AM
To me the netcord winner by a wide margin as you have no control over it. If you double fault, blow an overhead or easy shot its your fault for screwing up that shot. The netcord winner though is totally out of your control and you were helpless to do anything about it.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Df.

Break My Rapture
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:46 AM
DF. Also hitting a framer after a long rally. :sobbing:

edificio
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Even though I voted double fault, I don't think that is the worst way to lose. Getting blown off the court I think would be worse, especially by someone you used to handily beat. Or perhaps just giving up and tanking, because you got called for a foot fault that you didn't agree with (Marat Safin) or you blew up at the linejudge after getting called for foot faults and getting a point penalty (you know who).

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Actually 'injury' This Wins. Thread Closed.

I was going to write the same thing. A severe injury dwarfs anything else that can happen on a tennis court in terms of how one can lose a match.

Kəv.
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Breaking your string, or falling over...
Or getting hit in the face or anywhere else...

Papi
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Losing your cool even before the match is over

7-VxYvfwVas

LoLex
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I thought the OP meant what kind of shot or rally is the worst to end the match.

Renalicious
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Interesting question. :lol: A netchord going against you would be devastating, but I think you could say "oh well, got lucky" at the end of it.

Missed overheads feel the worst to me (although I've never done it on MP)

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Voted netcord :lol: Players, especially on the WTA DF enough that they should be immune to feeling any disappointment from it. Plus I hate to throw around accusations, but I sometimes wonder if some of the women have DFed on MP intentionally :tape:

Just imagine you were down 1-6 3-5, managed to steal the second set 7-6. On to the final set tiebreaker, this unnamed opponent started off, 1-0. 1-2. 3-2. 3-4. 5-4. 5-6. 7-6. No one's managed to win a point on the opponents serve, or perhaps they have but they compensated for that on the next point. Your adversary has MP, but you're confident in your ability to hold serve at this point. A long baseline rally ensues, exchanging punishing groundstrokes. 20 strokes later, you've worn down your opponent and have them pinned all the way in one corner. You smack a would-be winner off your more comfortable side right into the other corner, but somehow, with some extra push, they manage to get their racquet on the ball one last time. What comes up is a short ball that you're certain isn't going to make it to your side of the net. It then bounces on the netcord and trickles onto your side of the court completely unreturnable for you, on or a bit behind the baseline. 6-8, GSM. (I should note, someone with the mobility of say, Kim Clijsters would be able to hustle up to the ball in question and smack a winner off it anyway :angel:)

Okay so that was a bit of a dramatization, you could make anything seem that horrible. Botching a smash would be nearly as bad. Getting aced is the least bad, though it could be really frustrating if you were certain they were going, let's say, down the T, second guessed yourself at the last minute and prepared yourself for a bomb out wide and got bombed by a big serve down the T like you were initially preparing for. Also...

Bad calls & Overrules: (Without the calls the final set, at least, would have been 5-5 rather than 6-4.
xtkKdCeQgQM

Tearing an ACL at an end of the year MM: Being up 6-4 6-5(Was she serving for the match, or were they on serve?)
vOUBQ-rn1Sk

However, being stabbed in the back with a nine-inch blade during a changeover has to take the cake:
vl-2uVhNLJI

Roookie
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:23 AM
A foot fault. Thread closed.

Noctis
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I Always remembers Ana's netcord on mps vs Dechy. unreal.

flyingmachine
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Double Fault especially at the final of a major. :o Also missed a overhead shot and netcord are pretty bad way to end a match.

mdterp01
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Double fault because you have two chances to get the damn ball in play and your dumb ass should be mad at yourself the way I have been when I've lost on a double fault.

AnomyBC
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I voted for the blown overhead shot, but there are ton of worse ways to lose that you left out of the poll. Here's a Top 20 I made with some examples:

Top 20 Worst Ways to Lose a Tennis Match

1. Retirement after being told that one or more of your loved ones was killed
2. Fatally shot or stabbed
3. Fatal heart attack or stroke
4. Fatally struck by lightning
5. Arrested for murder mid-match
6. After sustaining a career-ending injury
7. Shot, stabbed or assaulted (non-fatally)
8. Heart attack or stroke (non-fatal)
9. Struck by lightning (non-fatally)
10. After sustaining a serious (but not career-ending) injury
11. Arrested for some other crime mid-match
12. Defaulted for assaulting a linesperson, chair umpire, ball kid, etc.
13. Defaulted for repeated cursing/threats/racket abuse
14. Bad call on match point
15. Foot fault on match point
16. Point penalty for cursing/threats/racket abuse on match point
17. Four straight double faults in final game
18. Blowing an easy overhead shot on match point
19. Double faulting on match point
20. Net cord lands on your side on match point

Anything I forgot? I left off being struck by lightning because I figured that was too improbable.

EDIT: After searching on the internet I actually found a case of 2 girls being struck by lighting while playing tennis in 2005, so I guess it's no more improbable than being shot or stabbed or arrested while playing tennis. I guess I'll add it...

DeliriousPotato
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I'd say the worst way of losing is...

Serena vs. Capriati, US Open 2004 :oh:

No, but really, I voted overhead shot, cause unlike DF you actually only need to put away the ball...

serenaforever
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:31 AM
DF for sure. You're basically gifting them the match. They didn't earn it.

starin
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:49 AM
when i let my nerves take over and I just start playing on auto pilot.
I revert back to bad technique and I play stupidly.

Lachy
Jul 4th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Tough question...I'd go with DF because the mood and crowd reaction after someone loses a match with a DF speaks for itself :tape: :hysteric:

Mashabator
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Smash or DF :D

Bonfire
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I voted double fault.

Ralph214
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Leading 6-0 5-0 30-0 then dislocating your arm during a forehand winner ... causing you to retire in pain :facepalm:

Gilas.
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:06 AM
DF. If an opponent aces, you can say too good. A letcord is lucky so you can't do anything. An overhead is always risky and with added pressure of MP against you it's always missable.

A DF however as others have pointed you get 2 chances to put it in. You can even serve underhand so double faulting on MP is a major no-no :weirdo:

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Bad overrule is hard, but you still have hawkeye. Double-faulting on mp..THAT's the worst feeling. Totally shows that you couldn't handle the pressure.

Beat
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Df

BlueTrees
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Retirement. :shrug:

longtin23
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Netcord... Just frustrated...

FORZA SARITA
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:12 AM
i don't understand why so many votes for DF :shrug: you have to blame only yourself for it while a netcord :facepalm:

cowsonice
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I DF-ed on match point once. I didn't feel that bad about it because I knew I was going to lose :shrug:
The worst in any hypothetical situation would be losing net points because then you regret going up to net.

SVK
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:17 AM
DF at 1-6, 1-5 0-40 is not the same as DF at 4-5 30-40 in deciding set for example:p I would be definitely much angry if I would lose becasue of my stupid fault and lack of nerves (DF, blown overhead) than becasue of bad luck or opponents skills(netcord, ace)

SerenaClijsters
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Ace from opponent. You didn't even have a chance to get to the ball and you lose.

rockstar
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM
time penalty

J4m3ka
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Shino Tsurubuchi.

bandabou
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:22 AM
time penalty

:spit: Ouch!

Feyd
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Netcord because DF and blown overhead shot would be my own fault and I would accept I screwed it up and move on.

Daniel
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM
df or netcord

tenniserforumer
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:48 AM
A foot fault for your double fault.

Fantasy Hero
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM
DF like flavia did against Marion :sobbing:

Mistress of Evil
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:12 PM
DF :sobbing:
Lenochka :crying2:

BlueTrees
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM
6lTX2frhoUc

Navratil
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Worst way to lose a match: US Open semifinal 2009 between Clijsters and Serena Williams!!

That must hurt! :O

Other than that it depends on the result: I don't care about a netcord at 2:6 1:5 0:40 but in a third-set-tie-breaker at 8:9.....

Noctis
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:21 PM
http://s013.radikal.ru/i323/1101/34/61c7039408d1.gif