PDA

View Full Version : If last year's Serena had played this year's Kvitova.....

J_Migoe
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:13 PM
speaking of Wimbledon that is.............

who do you think would have won?

ratso
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
The capital of Turkey is a long word. Can you spell it?

Galsen
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
seriously?

Noctis
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
Serena would have won 7-6 6-2.

Pump-it-UP
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
Depends, neither of them played at a consistent level throughout. Both of them were brilliant in parts and underwhelming in others.

But this thread is bound to get ugly. :o

manu32
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:19 PM
won

Galsen
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:21 PM
Serena is Serena when she is on , Kvitova is just not a threat we'll see next year hopefully.
But Petra deserved to win this year with the circumstances

J_Migoe
Serena would thrash Petra....6-4 6-0

ace33
Bartoli would've beat both of them, now go back to bed.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:23 PM
I said it in the results thread: Kvitova was a bad match up for Maria, and made Kvitova look better than she was.

Serena's cross court forehand would have exploited Kvitova's BH, and Kvitova wouldn't have gotten nearly as many points on Serena's service games.

goldenlox
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:25 PM
Kvitova bageled Caro & Vika last year. I dont know if she improved. Definately a weaker field without Serena.
If Henin was in 2007 form, what happens at the FO? Easy answer there.
Superstars are the key to the draw. When Seles was knifed the draws got easier

Apoleb
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:33 PM
Serena.

And the reason is: the serve. The matchup stops right here and there.

Serena's serve is un-returnable. Kvitova served badly in that final. A repeat of those serving performances would give a clear edge for Serena.

Smitten
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:38 PM
Kvitova was able to break 2010 Serena and gave the break back with a bad game in the first set.

I think Serena would win in three simply because it's a slam F.

Joey Darling
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:43 PM
I still think Serena would have won. I think this is a silly question, personally, because to me it is so obvious. I am a Kvitova fan, but... This title would not have been hers, had she played Serena again (the in-form Serena of last year, as stated). I don't see the need to call attention to this, though... Although that's just my personal opinion.

bandabou
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:13 PM
Serena, of course. Petra is good, but she isn't THAT good yet.:lol:

Serve baby, serve!

Linguae^
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:23 PM
Are you looking at her title(s)?! The outcome is obvious. :rolleyes:

Stamp Paid
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:26 PM
She would have won.

duhcity
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:26 AM
This is a ridiculous thread.

Tennisation
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I'm a fan of Kvitova and to me the difference between Wimbledon Petra 2010 and Petra 2011 is Serena Williams...end of discussion.

mdterp01
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:50 AM
OMG really? No one was beating Serena last year...not even this year's Petra. Serena was not to be denied last year. Now this year even if Serena had gotten past Bartoli I'm still not sure she would've been able to make the final. But if if if...if grandma had balls she'd be grandpa. Last year has nothing to do with this year.

killerqueen
Jul 4th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Oh definitely Serena. I don't think any current player could have stopped Serena last year. Her serving performance was something else.

serenaforever
Jul 4th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Serena, duh.

miffedmax
Jul 4th, 2011, 03:25 AM
The variance of Hawkeye changes some close calls from last year's semi, and last year's Dementieva wins.

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 4th, 2011, 03:37 AM
:rolleyes: What a worthless thread, it's only going to take away from Petra's win. She was the best of the seven players put before her, and truthfully only dropped a set to herself in the semi. She really was the best player of these two weeks. Of course 2010 Serena would have won, her serve impenetrable, and she also knew what a return of serve was. I actually think an in-form Serena was the only player in maybe the last two years who would've beat Petra on this particular fortnight. That said, Petra COULD have feasibly beat 2009 Wimblyrena, her ground game wasn't that great then either, and her serve while great wasn't the unplayable 2010 version.

Henpova
Jul 4th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Such a stupid question...and only the Serena thumpers would really care about it. It so stupid to ask questions like this. Serena was the best in 09,10. Petra was the best this year...let move on.

Slutiana
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:25 PM
:rolleyes: What a worthless thread, it's only going to take away from Petra's win. She was the best of the seven players put before her, and truthfully only dropped a set to herself in the semi. She really was the best player of these two weeks. Of course 2010 Serena would have won, her serve impenetrable, and she also knew what a return of serve was. I actually think an in-form Serena was the only player in maybe the last two years who would've beat Petra on this particular fortnight. That said, Petra COULD have feasibly beat 2009 Wimblyrena, her ground game wasn't that great then either, and her serve while great wasn't the unplayable 2010 version.
Agreed with this 100%.

Needless to say, let's hope that they get the a chance to play each other next year.

Serenita
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Agreed.

Roookie
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hard to say

18majors
Jul 4th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Petra.

Excelscior
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I agree with many here, speaking about the worthlessness of the thread (despondent Serena fans who need to feel better?). I'm a Serena fan to; just so you know. Why we gotta compare?

But I'm not so sure Serena would won, or won so easily. Remember, last year, Petra played Serena to a tie breaker in the first set, and then lost the 2nd set 6/2 (I think), as she lost her confidence.

Now if Petra has already said she didn't think she could win, but played Serena to a tie breaker (plus moved her around the court and controlled the points, to where Serena said to Petra "You got game girl"), what do you think would happen now, when she's more confident and better?

Why do so many people here think it would be a blow out anyway (not competitive; c'mon)? Did you guys watch Petra play all 7 games in Wimby this year? It was like a video game, till she decided to take off a set (Pironkava, Vika) or practice her returns, and give them 1-3 games in a set (all the other ones except Masha, who she defeated easily to, in a imperfect game). Now Petra's confident and thinks she can win.

Plus, Petra has better ground strokes, shots, and shot making than Serena (albeit it Serena's more athletic, with that serve, but Petra's reach, timing, heft of shot and shot making kinda neutralizes that). Did you watch them play last year?

Every body keeps talking about Serena's serve. Yes. It was great. But did you guys know that Petra (before the final), held her serve 93% of the time? Somebody go look up, Serena's hold % last Wimbledon, and tell if it was 90% (she had only got broken a total of 4x coming into the finals)? Petra served extremely well also (except for the last game, where she did what she had to). Aces, aren't the only criteria to demonstrate that (though it's a good one). Lol.

Lastly, Sharapova (and Vika to) confirmed all this by saying "She can beat anybody including Clijsters, Serena and Venus, the way she's playing now". Word up, but Who knows! I love Serena to. And I definitely agree wit the earlier poster, that said Serena cost Petra her 1st Wimbo title last year.

On with the rest and upcoming hard court season now.

kiwifan
Jul 4th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Useless thread, even the biggest haters know that Kwitova would have walked into a buzzsaw last year. :eek:

pov
Jul 4th, 2011, 10:11 PM
speaking of Wimbledon that is.............

who do you think would have won?
Oudin?

J_Migoe
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:13 PM
f u

it-girl
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Serena would win.

garson
Jul 4th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Serena.

And the reason is: the serve. The matchup stops right here and there.

Serena's serve is un-returnable. Kvitova served badly in that final. A repeat of those serving performances would give a clear edge for Serena.

I don't disagree with this, but nothing was guaranteed. If Serena is in the top form like she had been up to last year, she would seem unbeatable.

G.

garson
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I don't disagree with this, but nothing was guaranteed. If Serena is in the top form like she had been up to last year, she would seem unbeatable.

G.

I take that back. I overlooked the title of the thread 'last year's Serena'. Well we had seen it. Serena was strong, although Petra had the potential. There is no doubt that if Serena is in the same form as last year, Serena would have greater chance of winning.

G.

lupojohn
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Petra wins 6-1 6-2.

Graftard
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Kvitova 6-4 3-6 7-5

sweetpeas
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:38 AM
on on on.

Novichok
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Petra wins 6-0 6-0

Sammo
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:11 AM
A black hole would open and the universe would collapse. It is impossible to know, however I think Petra :oh:

J_Migoe
Jul 5th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Serena would win 6-4 6-0