PDA

View Full Version : Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Excelscior
Mar 20th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks Petronius.

The one thing the article failed to mention, is that Azarenka is not playing any differently now than she did then.

The difference is, she's more consistent now to make the semis or finals more often, and she's not facing Petra while she's in them.

It's funny, ESPN UK took the time to write the article, but didn't actually analyze anything about their games, to tell you why. But at least they mentioned it. That's a start. I guessed they're bored off the faux Masha rivalry?

I don't see much difference in her play, especially lately. And I wouldn't be surprised if she took an immediate drop off/tailspin this year, when most of us least expected it.

We'll see?

Utterchaos
Mar 20th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I don't see much difference in her play, especially lately. And I wouldn't be surprised if she took an immediate drop off/tailspin this year, when most of us least expected it.

Slightly better fitness, serve and FH. Also confidence, plus the fact that the rest of the tour shit their pants against her.

PetraReeMona
Mar 20th, 2012, 07:13 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Watch the video

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/News/Tennis/2012/Tournament/Miami-Monday-Big-Names-Confirmed-For-Wednesday-Thursday.aspx

Not good news :sad:

Excelscior
Mar 20th, 2012, 07:22 PM
That's to be expected. But she just has to deal with it.

As she said "it is her life".

I think it's all mental with Petra at this point (besides what ever health hangover she may have from Dubai/Indian Wells).

As I stated yesterday in another post, some Europeans don't like playing in America, and vice versa; or at least it takes them time to adjust. And as I said, Petra didn't travel the world playing juniors, so this can all be new to her still, to get used to. But Petra made the 4th round of the US Open 3 years ago, in a very physical match vs then world #1 Safina, when she was much heavier, less skilled and confident. So I'm not buying this 100%. It may have nothing to do with asthma. She just needs to focus more.

Now watch her make the finals. :oh::oh:

Petronius
Mar 20th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Kvitova struggles with asthma in Miami
20 March 2012, 22:42

Third seed Petra Kvitova will try and play through an asthma condition, which is not improved by the famed Florida humidity, as she attempts to string two match wins together at the Miami Masters.

The reigning Wimbledon winner has been under the weather for weeks, going out in her second match at Indian Wells in the first of two Masters 1000 events this month in the United States.

The Czech, third in the world behind 23-0 world No 1 Victoria Azarenka and Maria Sharapova, said on Tuesday she will make her best effort despite her hampered physical condition, as she starts after a bye against either wild card Venus Williams or Japan's Kimiko Date-Krumm.

"I feel fine, but when I run a lot I feel the asthma and it's tough to breath," said Kvitova, who has never been past the third round in South Florida.

"But I can play even when it feels bad," said the player who has suffered from asthma for the last three years. "I use my inhaler on court. Early in a match I feel fine, but I can't really move as well and play aggressive as I like."

Kvitova has had limited success since her Australian Open semifinal where she lost to Sharapova, who was then crushed in the final by Azarenka.

"She's playing very well, she's serving solid, it's tough to win against her. But I haven't played her yet this season."

http://www.supersport.com/tennis/wta/news/120320/Kvitova_struggles_with_asthma_in_Miami

Excelscior
Mar 21st, 2012, 01:34 AM
Mmmmhhhh.

Those bolded parts may explain a lot Petronius, on how/why she can look so fast on the court sometimes, and at other times look so sluggish (besides match confusion and a lack of anticipation).

It would be interesting, more informative, if Petra or the author, could tell us when were the times she was suffering it, and when she was not (and was it all in the US)?

If so, she must be allergic to the Entire US period! Lol. Cause I would think that grass in London, would ignite her asthma, more than a hardcourt in the Eastern US.

Nonetheless, she's still gotta play, and we'll see?

mac47
Mar 21st, 2012, 01:35 AM
Getting her excuses all lined up. Grrr.

Excelscior
Mar 21st, 2012, 01:40 AM
Getting her excuses all lined up. Grrr.

That or "Undersell and Over Deliver" :oh::oh:

Petronius
Mar 21st, 2012, 09:41 AM
Mmmmhhhh.

Those bolded parts may explain a lot Petronius, on how/why she can look so fast on the court sometimes, and at other times look so sluggish (besides match confusion and a lack of anticipation).

It would be interesting, more informative, if Petra or the author, could tell us when were the times she was suffering it, and when she was not (and was it all in the US)?

If so, she must be allergic to the Entire US period! Lol. Cause I would think that grass in London, would ignite her asthma, more than a hardcourt in the Eastern US.

Nonetheless, she's still gotta play, and we'll see?

I've never had asthma so I don't know how it can affect one's physical performance, but one thing is sure. It is Petra's aggressive and attacking game that brought her to the top ranks of the women's tennis and if she can't apply this game throughout matches, she's a weaker player and more prone to lose. It was so obvious during the second and third set with McHale. She couldn't play aggressive as usual, was forced to rally and ended up being humiliated on matchpoint by a drop shot.

I expect great things from her again in Europe after she has had the fitness camp in Turkey.

Petronius
Mar 21st, 2012, 10:16 AM
I would think that grass in London, would ignite her asthma, more than a hardcourt in the Eastern US.

IMO, this has nothing to do with surface, it's just the quality/humidity of air. If the very same Indian Wells/Miami hardcourt was situated in an asthma-friendly area (most of Europe, Australia) and/or in an air-conditioned arena covered by roof, Petra's odds would be definitely better.

Utterchaos
Mar 21st, 2012, 10:42 AM
This asthma is bad news :( I hope it doesn't hamper her too much...

18majors
Mar 21st, 2012, 01:05 PM
IMO, this has nothing to do with surface, it's just the quality/humidity of air. If the very same Indian Wells/Miami hardcourt was situated in an asthma-friendly area (most of Europe, Australia) and/or in an air-conditioned arena covered by roof, Petra's odds would be definitely better.

USA is a big country, it's hard to believe the entire country is bad for asthma sufferers. In that case, all US asthma sufferers should move out of the country.

mac47
Mar 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM
The east coast is pretty horrible for humidity and asthma. Some high altitude city like Denver would probably be great for Petra, rather like Madrid is.

Excelscior
Mar 21st, 2012, 01:55 PM

London is foggy; i.e. very humid, with pollution and grass at Wimbledon that can exacerbate her lungs and breathing.

Secondly, either way she's doomed against a very good opponent, normally.

If she plays an aggressive game (which is more conducive to someone with breathing problems), she may not have the strength to serve, rally and hit winners the way she would otherwise, like at IW (though that may have been more the affects of the Dubai or IW virus).

And if she rallys from the baseline, excessively, moving side to side, that's self explanatory and physically draining (with the added loss in quickness she mentioned, along with more errors).

Petra would have to strike a balance, or find an "off" opponent, and be smart enough to have them make some errors (or at least try to serve very well, and get the points over quickly). Mmmhhh. That blasted serve again, that she can be more consistent with, that can make her life so much easier on the court. Lol

But it's just something she has to deal with an overcome. :shrug: :shrug:

Maybe it's all mental? I hope she surprises.

I still don't know why she doesn't consult with local allergist and Pulmonologist in the areas that she plays? :shrug: :shrug:

PetraReeMona
Mar 21st, 2012, 03:32 PM
London is foggy; i.e. very humid, with pollution and grass at Wimbledon that can exacerbate her lungs and breathing.

Secondly, either way she's doomed against a very good opponent, normally.

If she plays an aggressive game (which is more conducive to someone with breathing problems), she may not have the strength to serve, rally and hit winners the way she would otherwise, like at IW (though that may have been more the affects of the Dubai or IW virus).

And if she rallys from the baseline, excessively, moving side to side, that's self explanatory and physically draining (with the added loss in quickness she mentioned, along with more errors).

Petra would have to strike a balance, or find an "off" opponent, and be smart enough to have them make some errors (or at least try to serve very well, and get the points over quickly). Mmmhhh. That blasted serve again, that she can be more consistent with, that can make her life so much easier on the court. Lol

But it's just something she has to deal with an overcome. :shrug: :shrug:

Maybe it's all mental? I hope she surprises.

I still don't know why she doesn't consult with local allergist and Pulmonologist in the areas that she plays? :shrug: :shrug:

I'm an Asthma sufferer, plus on top of that I have Emphysema, so I know a hell of a lot about it.

Asthma is caused by inflammation of the alveoli (sp) so I'm told and the only thing that takes down the inflammation are steroids :eek:. I am on 8 of them per day, but I can't play tennis anymore and I wasn't in the position of getting tested for steroids. The inhaler asthmatics usually use have steroids in them, but she might have one without, I presume.

Anyway, I doubt if she can take steroids, so she must be on something else, don't know what it is though.

I was in Miami Xmas just gone and my asthma/emphysema was terrible; :sad: ruined my bloody vacation.

If she had bad flu/fever during Doha/Dubai, then that would have affected her asthma even more and this is why it's taken her a long time to get over.

I wish her well - it upsets me to see such a fine athlete like this suffer :sad:

Excelscior
Mar 21st, 2012, 04:32 PM
Sorry about your asthma Petra #1. But as you know, different people suffer and react differently. So your experience in Miami(as unfortunate as it was, and how bad it may be down there) may be different than Petra's.

We'll see?

18majors
Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:12 PM
Petra's on Twitter! @Petra_Kvitova

paulmara
Mar 25th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Petra Kvitova ‏ @Petra_Kvitova
I will fly home tonight(Saturday) for a few days to see my family and then spend time working on my fitness in Turkey before clay. I will send news ;)

Petronius
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Petra Kvitová: When will she rise in 2012?

She likes to tread dangerously on the thin line between life and death on a tennis court. She can fleet between the flawless and the flawed so effortlessly, she is a player in whose game the superlative and the mundane cohabit simultaneously. From wrecking her opponent’s game and morale she can leave you befuddled by suddenly wrecking her own game and taking on the role of a struggler and eventually fading out.

Welcome to Petra Kvitova’s world – tennis’s very own version of ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly’. If she has a Wimbledon title to boast of, she has an ugly first round loss to lament of in the very next Slam – the US Open. If she played like a champion in the 2011 Wimbledon final outgunning and outshining Maria Sharapova, she let Sharapova dictate her error ridden desperate play in their very next match at the 2012 Australian Open semis. If Petra Kvitova had stupefied the world with her brilliant shot-making full of variety at the tender young age of 21, tennis aficionados are still searching for that one all-important stroke in the armour – consistency.

With her lefty serve, the fierce flat groundstrokes and the slice Kvitova was always thought to be one of the front-runners for establishing the young blood on the Tour and in the Slams. Within two years of turning professional, the Bilovec born Czech national was storming up the rankings and found herself in the top 50 by 2008 end. With a title in 2009 and a Wimbledon semifinal in 2010 she caught everybody’s eyes until her superb breakthrough year began in 2011.

Last year she was the only player to capture a title in each of the three surfaces – clay, grass and hard. With her six titles she simply established herself as a natural contender and underlined that the vastly-criticized young generation can compete with the champions even in Majors.

But what was striking is not the fact that she was on a title-winning spree but the manner in which her year went. For every huge burst of brilliance, Petra Kvitova has an uncanny ability to disappear into a lull. Consider her post Wimbledon glory – Kvitova was not the same player when she returned to the US Open hardcourts last summer. Two dismal losses to Andrea Petkovic followed – Petkovic was the same player whom Kvitova thrashed for the Brisbane title earlier in the year. And it went further downhill at Flushing Meadows as she became the first Grand Slam champion to be defeated in the opening round of the very next Slam without winning a single set.

Petra ultimately managed to regroup herself towards the very end of the season adding the Linz title and the esteemed WTA Championships and also helping Czech Republic win the first Fed Cup as an independent nation.

With Caroline Wozniacki’s No. 1 ranking tottering, Petra’s glorious end to her dream year naturally veered the talk about her being the next No. 1 and becoming the Australian Open champion.

Kvitova began 2012 where she had left by teaming up with compatriot Tomas Berdych in clinching the Hopman Cup for her country. Thus much weight was added to everybody’s expectations about her climbing to the summit.

Interestingly, the version of the soft-spoken Czech that we got to see at the Australian Open semi against Maria Sharapova was not the one fans had anticipated. Petra looked casually erroneous, downrightly mundane and far from her champion stuff. It was she who was lunging for the 2008 champion’s ferocious shots rather than the other way round. Petra was back to living life dangerously bewildering her fans and the tons of tennis experts who had envisaged her to be on top of the world.

Gone was the ranking, gone was the Slam title! In contrast, Victoria Azarenka swept the tennis courts shutting everybody up. After the Fed Cup, an unfortunate injury and illness kept her out of action for the entire Middle Eastern hardcourt swing but the World No. 3 Czech was expected to be back with a bang on the North American hardcourts.

But what was stunning was the way she vanished into the oblivion in the third round at Indian Wells. Pitted against a young talented American Christina McHale, Petra was the obvious favourite with a Slam title and experience to boot. After the first set, the lanky Czech seemed to be headed for a routine victory when she let it all slip. A few horrendous errors were all it took the American to cause the biggest upset of the tournament in the first week – Petra was back to her flawed and banal phase!

And the very next fortnight in Miami was no better. Facing a gargantuan task of putting an end to three-time champion, Venus William’s inspired run, she played a roller-coaster in the first two sets and totally got blanked in the third submitting herself completely to Venus.

What is this flawed phase in her game that is becoming so characteristic of her after every high success? Is she simply succumbing to the immense pressure and expectations after hitting the high? Or is she now struggling to get rid of the hangover of her incredible year? Or is her insipid phase simply a side-effect of her risky, no-holds barred game?

For now, Kvitova’s hard-court campaign ends with the Miami loss. The Tour will be heading to the tricky clay-courts next where her game might not find its suitable range except on the fast-paced high-altitude clay courts of Madrid where she is the defending champion.

Kvitova is a pure joy to watch when her shots are flying off the court touching and kissing the lines and so pedestrian when they don’t. In between she hardly treads! And probably that is the reason why her consistency and sustenance will always be shrouded in doubt.

2012 has so far been reasonably ordinary for a player of her caliber especially after her best season last year. The sooner she steps it up, plays error-free and comes out of the lull phase, she will be a force to reckon with once again. And that’s what tennis enthusiasts all over the world are waiting for so eagerly!

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/03/25/petra-kvitova-when-will-she-rise-in-2012/

HowardH
Mar 26th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Yep, a lot of people are eagerly waiting for Petra to find her form again. Nice to watch when she's on, but will we have to accept that she will only be on for sections of the year? Surely she should be able to overcome this issue. I think it's mental as well as physical.

I'm an Asthma sufferer, plus on top of that I have Emphysema, so I know a hell of a lot about it.

Asthma is caused by inflammation of the alveoli (sp) so I'm told and the only thing that takes down the inflammation are steroids :eek:. I am on 8 of them per day, but I can't play tennis anymore and I wasn't in the position of getting tested for steroids. The inhaler asthmatics usually use have steroids in them, but she might have one without, I presume.

Anyway, I doubt if she can take steroids, so she must be on something else, don't know what it is though.

I was in Miami Xmas just gone and my asthma/emphysema was terrible; :sad: ruined my bloody vacation.

If she had bad flu/fever during Doha/Dubai, then that would have affected her asthma even more and this is why it's taken her a long time to get over.

I wish her well - it upsets me to see such a fine athlete like this suffer :sad:

I hope your asthma gets better. Are you still a teenager? Because I grew out of my asthma by the time I started university. Maybe the same will happen to you? I suppose my asthma wasn't as bad as yours. I only had 2 inhalers, and actually I never used them unless I had an attack, which only happened once every few months, then it became once a year, then it disappeared. I still think that maybe if I travel somewhere I should take an inhaler with me. I never do though... I guess I'll be in trouble if I have a random attack, but I haven't had one in over 5 years now so I do think it's gone...

Players with asthma like Petra apply for a medical or therapeutic use exemption (I forget the exact name) and are then allowed to take normal asthma medication, I think.

paulmara
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Petra : Hello from Prostějov. I'm fine. Tomorrow (note today) I'm flying on a training camp in Turkey. Next match - Fed Cup in Ostrava.

http://www.world-guides.com/images/antalya/antalya_kas_kaputas_beach.jpg

naranka
Mar 29th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Anyone who speaks Czech care to let us know what Petra's discussing in the vid just put up on her Facebook?

paulmara
Mar 29th, 2012, 05:45 PM
She will be in Turkey for 14 or 16 days.
In the morning long distance run or sprints or sand running / in the afternoon training in the gym, maybe 1 hour tennis / in the evening massage or sauna
" 6:0 looks very cruel, but it is only result. My play was good. I can´t say I played terrible."
"February was nothing pleasant. I hope it was all bad luck in this year."

Excelscior
Mar 29th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Petra's a mess (reading her Venus match comments). Lol.

Hopefully, this Turkey training, etc., will clear her mind and provide for an excellent rest of the year; which she's certainly capable of?

We still have 3/4's of the tennis season to go, and Petra can certainly leave an indelible imprint on it (Clay, Grass, Olympics, Indoor, Japan, China), I'm sure. Anythings possible with her.

We'll see?

18majors
Mar 29th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Petra's a mess (reading her Venus match comments). Lol.

Hopefully, this Turkey training, etc., will clear her mind and provide for an excellent rest of the year; which she's certainly capable of?

We still have 3/4's of the tennis season to go, and Petra can certainly leave an indelible imprint on it (Clay, Grass, Olympics, Indoor, Japan, China), I'm sure. Anythings possible with her.

We'll see?

Petra for the win, no doubt about it!

mac47
Mar 30th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Still love her, she's so sweet and has such wonderful honesty and humility and sportsmanship.

I'm pretty seriously tempering my expectations, though, because she has disappointed me over and over again this spring, and she has a lot of points to lose now between Madrid, Wimby, and Eastbourne. I hope she goes on a clay court and grass court tear, but frankly, she'd better, because before she knows it, she'll be back in the States floundering on outdoor hard.

Maybe Fed Cup will give her a boost.

Petronius
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I'm pretty seriously tempering my expectations.

Very wise decision. Luckily, she may still win several big titles this year to make herself and her fans happy.

Maybe Fed Cup will give her a boost.

I expect the IndoorGOAT to roll over Schiavone/Pennetta/Errani and extend her winning streak to 32 matches.

Excelscior
Mar 30th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Very wise decision. Luckily, she may still win several big titles this year to make herself and her fans happy.

I expect the IndoorGOAT to roll over Schiavone/Pennetta/Errani and extend her winning streak to 32 matches.

How could you agree with Mac's advice to tender his expectations, then you go on to predict that Petra will "roll over" the Italian Squad in Fed Cup? :lol: :confused: :eek: :confused: :lol:

I expect her to win to, but those matches could be quite unpredictable, considering the tricky opponents, and Petra's questionable conditioning, health, confidence and psyche.

I'm assuming if it's in the Czech Republic, it will be on a fast, low bouncing indoor hardcourt, which should help her and the Czech team?

paulmara
Mar 30th, 2012, 06:28 PM
It will be played on novacrylic ultracushion. The same surface was used for Davis cup tie with Italy. Bracialli: „It is really very fast (surface).“

Petronius
Mar 30th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Two nice photos of the FedCup venue:

Exterior:

http://i3.cn.cz/1285079252_hala_ostrava.jpg

Interior:

http://www.sportovnikatalog.cz/image/16/cez-arena-vitkovice.jpg

Petronius
Mar 30th, 2012, 10:22 PM
It will be played on novacrylic ultracushion. The same surface was used for Davis cup tie with Italy. Bracialli: „It is really very quick.“

According to the ITF, it's the second fastest surface, so GOATra should excel on it :devil::

Category 1 (slow)
Category 2 (medium-slow)
Category 3 (medium)
Category 4 (medium-fast)
Category 5 (fast)

But it's probably a bit slower than the Paris Indoors, which is I think the only "fast" hardcourt tournament on tour.

Petronius
Mar 30th, 2012, 11:03 PM
How could you agree with Mac's advice to tender his expectations, then you go on to predict that Petra will "roll over" the Italian Squad in Fed Cup? :lol: :confused: :eek: :confused: :lol:

I still remember her victory speech from Istanbul: "Indoors, I'm a different person" = basically invincible

Utterchaos
Mar 31st, 2012, 01:40 AM
Finally a court that doesn't favor moonballers and topspinmonkeys :drool: Petra at 50% should win every match comfortably.

Excelscior
Mar 31st, 2012, 03:44 PM
I still remember her victory speech from Istanbul: "Indoors, I'm a different person" = basically invincible

You believe everything Petra says now after she wins a tournament? :eek: :oh: :eek:

Every tournament, city, surface or environment she wins on, becomes her new favorite. You haven't noticed that? Lol

I just think her success indoors, is inherently mental. Because she's comfortable playing on indoor courts from Prostejov.

I don't think it's cause it provides her any definitive advantages on the courts (though people always try to speculate that), cause she wins on slow-high bouncing indoor courts, as well as medium paced ones. You can even argue, that an outdoor hardcourt in the sun, would give her serve and ground strokes more speed, than they could ever have on the slow and medium paced indoor courts she won on last year (even with the added distraction of potential sun and/or the wind). And as I said previously, it also helps she's plays them in Europe, where she seems comfortable. And this time she will be at home. Let's see how she handles that?

If Petra truly had an outdoor problem, she couldn't win on grass or clay either, the way she has in her career.

I say all this because; if for what ever reason, Petra loses her mental edge or relaxation, I wouldn't be shocked if she lost indoors one day (particularly in a tough match), when we least expected it. It appears all mental with her.

Obviously, this Fed Cups indoor courts speed should really help Petra and the entire Czech team. And lets hope it does, for a nice team win. Go Czech Team!

Nonetheless, I'm more interested in the start and rest of the clay, grass, hardcourt and Indoor hardcourt, WTA and ITF individual season tournaments.

I will look at the upcoming Fed Cup matches as entertainment/preparation. Lol.

Petronius
Apr 1st, 2012, 10:29 PM
It is obviously very premature, but Petra's chances in the Olympics mixed doubles are getting very interesting. On top of the Aussie Open title, her partner Stepanek (with Paes) has also won Miami, beating the world #1 and #2 doubles teams in a row. :eek:

HowardH
Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:20 AM
It is obviously very premature, but Petra's chances in the Olympics mixed doubles are getting very interesting. On top of the Aussie Open title, her partner Stepanek (with Paes) has also won Miami, beating the world #1 and #2 doubles teams in a row. :eek:

Of course Petra and Radek would be a tough team. I don't really need to see those results of Stepanek with Paes to know he's an excellent doubles player. Just watching him play singles and seeing how good he is at net allows you to see his potential as a doubles player. Paes and Radek are a very good team. Paes has great hands and quick eyes, and doubles allows him to hide his problems with his bh topspin and fitness.

mac47
Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:15 AM
Paes is a freaking beast. I watched him win Cincinnati last year, taking out the Bryan Bros. and Llodra-Zimonjic. Paes just took over in the tiebreaks.

But Radek is good too, and I would put money on him and Petra to slay on grass.

paulmara
Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/524854_10150649079298657_26577873656_9302981_41540 9132_n.jpg

cosmoose
Apr 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1642700101/FEHM4722__4__normal.jpg@spellman_katie (https://twitter.com/#!/spellman_katie)
Hey guys, I'm taking a leap of faith and will be leaving the WTA after Madrid and Rome to set up my own boutique PR business

Very excited to be working with Wimbledon champ and world No.3 @Petra_Kvitova as my first client

paulmara
Apr 4th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Great news. Much better than Karel Tejkal from Česká sportovní.

Simugna Help
Apr 4th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Do those people do anything substantial or are they just sending out press releases?

paulmara
Apr 4th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I don´t know what her exact position will be. But Meilen Tu is very important for Azarenka.

cosmoose
Apr 5th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Do those people do anything substantial or are they just sending out press releases?

maybe that's why Petra has a new PR person. Last one just sent out press releases ;)

TimeyWimey
Apr 5th, 2012, 04:05 AM
I don´t know what her exact position will be. But Meilen Tu is very important for Azarenka.

this

pov
Apr 6th, 2012, 09:20 PM
PR? :facepalm: And that will help her reach the full potential of her game how? I thought that she'd be one to avoid the circus but clearly I was incorrect.

naranka
Apr 7th, 2012, 08:29 AM
PR? :facepalm: And that will help her reach the full potential of her game how? I thought that she'd be one to avoid the circus but clearly I was incorrect.

No tennis player ranked as highly as Petra, and a Wimbledon reigning champ to boot, can avoid "the circus." It's simply a fact of her life now. So she might as well have a PR person who (having worked with the WTA) appears to know what she's doing.

No, of course PR doesn't help you reach your potential, that's up to Petra. But it can't hurt Petra or her fans to have her presented to the world in the best possible light.

pov
Apr 7th, 2012, 06:49 PM
No tennis player ranked as highly as Petra, and a Wimbledon reigning champ to boot, can avoid "the circus."

BS! Of course they can. It's called saying "no." The reason players get caught up in it is simple - they get large sums of money for doing so.

But it can't hurt Petra or her fans to have her presented to the world in the best possible light.
To me, the "best possible light" is her playing up to her potential, continuing to be largely honestly herself in interviews and not getting caught up in the circus. No one needs to be "presented to the world."

mac47
Apr 7th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Um, I thought the whole point of having a PR person was so that you wouldn't have to pay attention to that side of things yourself, and could focus on tennis.

Not sure what Pov's problem is, or why he continues to dump on Petra in her own forum.

Utterchaos
Apr 8th, 2012, 01:06 AM
I don't care about any of that PR nonsense. I just hope Petra can stay healthy and that her asthma doesn't flair up anytime soon. I am tired of lack of talent at the top. If she doesn't pick up, pusher Radwanska will soon be #3 :o

mac47
Apr 8th, 2012, 01:32 PM
ARad is already mathematically certain to pass Kvitty for #3. Fortunately, there's a rather large gap before #5. Still, if Petra doesn't turn it around soon, down she will go. I'm really worried about Madrid and Wimbledon.

cosmoose
Apr 8th, 2012, 01:39 PM
ARad is already mathematically certain to pass Kvitty for #3. Fortunately, there's a rather large gap before #5. Still, if Petra doesn't turn it around soon, down she will go. I'm really worried about Madrid and Wimbledon.

I worry about this too.
But if Petra is back to her normal self, her ranking doesn't matter at all.
She is similar to Serena in that way

oh how I wish I can see KvittyGOAT once again! Smashing pretenders and pushers left and right! :lol:

TimeyWimey
Apr 8th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I worry about this too.
But if Petra is back to her normal self, her ranking doesn't matter at all.
She is similar to Serena in that way

oh how I wish I can see KvittyGOAT once again! Smashing pretenders and pushers left and right! :lol:

Petra really shouldn't care about these, certainly not her priority to level up the ranking, remember she was the Champion of Madrid as world number EIGHTEEN :hearts: (and who cares whether KvittyGOAT is world no 1 or no 10? why should we care where Radwanska is?)

what if she could kick some ass in the first week of a Grand Slam again (if the maths in the ranking would allow that) :lol:

PetraReeMona
Apr 8th, 2012, 09:56 PM
As long as she's winning tournaments and GS's, I don't care where she's ranked :)

mac47
Apr 9th, 2012, 03:34 AM
I agree. I want to see beat-downs and hoisted trophies. But I would like to see her reach #1 at some point, especially because she should already have had it if the system didn't penalize players who prioritize Fed Cup. I do think it's an important career accomplishment, even if the slams are more important.

Would love to see her add another Wimbledon against Williams sisters playing well. Or a title at RG.

Isner has been demonstrating lately how first-strike tennis can dominate on clay. Let's hope Petra can do something similar.

Utterchaos
Apr 9th, 2012, 09:44 AM
As long as she's winning tournaments and GS's, I don't care where she's ranked :)

I do. #1 place is very important. It shows the player's ability to win all events, not just do well at GS as well as dominate consistently. Take Serena for example. For someone with 13 GS her # of weeks at number one and her number of titles is pathetic. She should be following Federer's example not these lame part timers who only show up to slams...

bruce goose
Apr 9th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I do. #1 place is very important. It shows the player's ability to win all events, not just do well at GS as well as dominate consistently. Take Serena for example. For someone with 13 GS her # of weeks at number one and her number of titles is pathetic. She should be following Federer's example not these lame part timers who only show up to slams.......And this re-states why Graf was better than Serena...which Richard and SW both concede: Even when it became monotonous at times for her to beat opponents down during her dominant stretches,she still had the mental strength and focus to maintain that pace week after week...NOT just in Slams.It might be unfair to ask that much toughness from Petra,but it at least gives her a good model for how she should carry herself as an elite player...especially when she reaches #1

PetraReeMona
Apr 9th, 2012, 10:49 PM
....And this re-states why Graf was better than Serena...which Richard and SW both concede: Even when it became monotonous at times for her to beat opponents down during her dominant stretches,she still had the mental strength and focus to maintain that pace week after week...NOT just in Slams.It might be unfair to ask that much toughness from Petra,but it at least gives her a good model for how she should carry herself as an elite player...especially when she reaches #1

So did Navratilova .... surely Petra must look up to her? :shrug:

18majors
Apr 9th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Petra will be Petra, she will be the best she can be.

Excelscior
Apr 10th, 2012, 12:37 AM
So did Navratilova .... surely Petra must look up to her? :shrug:

I was going to say the same.

Martina developed the mental toughness and tunnel vision, though she certainly didn't start out that way.

Hopefully, Petra will get it herself, rather shortly? :)

bruce goose
Apr 10th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Let me apologize to any Czech posters who thought that I was trying to put Graf on a pedestal above Navratilova;that wasn't my intention AT ALL.It was simply a direct link between the most well-known part-timer,Serena,and her best contemporary.Steffi retired early on in SW's first top years,whereas Martina was only an occasional Dubs player at that point,so it seemed more logical to me to compare SW to the former and not the latter.I wasn't trying to say that Steffi was better than Martina so I'm sorry if you Czechs were offended,under false assumption,by the post.

Obviously,Petra has made it known how much she respects and admires Martina and,accordingly,it's more likely that she would follow her countrywoman as a role model...though,as even Navrat has said,Petra will/should want to cut her own path in many respects

Losing Streak
Apr 10th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Plus, she's only 21, she's got plenty of time to perfect her game. When you have so much potential like she does, your game takes generally more time to mature and to peak because you need to learn how to temper it and make the good choices at the good time. But it's for the best after. :drool: And I do trust in her team, I think she's surrounded by good people. :)

Petronius
Apr 10th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Let me apologize to any Czech posters who thought that I was trying to put Graf on a pedestal above Navratilova

No need to apologize at all, because like in the case of Navratilova or Hingis, many of Steffi's achievements can be considered as the success of Czech tennis. During her best years (including the Golden Slam year), she was coached by Pavel Složil, a former top Czech player, who took over the job from Steffi's father.

"Složil served as Steffi Graf's coach from mid-1986 until the end of 1991. Shortly after the start of his tenure as Graf's coach, she had her Grand Slam breakthrough year in 1987, winning six tournaments and then defeating Martina Navratilova in the French Open.

The next year, Graf achieved a calendar year's Grand Slam, a feat performed only twice before. She also won the 1988 Olympics singles and the Wimbledon Ladies doubles that same year.

From 1987 through 1991, coached by Složil, Graf won ten Grand Slam championships, competing at the Australian Open (1988-89-90), French Open (1987-88), Wimbledon (1988-89-91) and the U.S. Open (1988-89), plus numerous side tournaments"

I wouldn't mind if Petra took inspiration from both of these players. :drive:

Petronius
Apr 10th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Plus, she's only 21

22 :)

Simugna Help
Apr 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Well, Steffi Graf was 19 when she achieved Golden Slam. However, no modern player can have Navratilova's/Graf's career trajectory and probably none ever will. It'd be cool if Petra could achieve something similar to Henin's 2006/2007 seasons.

Excelscior
Apr 10th, 2012, 02:31 PM
No need to apologize at all, because like in the case of Navratilova or Hingis, many of Steffi's achievements can be considered as the success of Czech tennis. During her best years (including the Golden Slam year), she was coached by Pavel Složil, a former top Czech player, who took over the job from Steffi's father.

"Složil served as Steffi Graf's coach from mid-1986 until the end of 1991. Shortly after the start of his tenure as Graf's coach, she had her Grand Slam breakthrough year in 1987, winning six tournaments and then defeating Martina Navratilova in the French Open.

The next year, Graf achieved a calendar year's Grand Slam, a feat performed only twice before. She also won the 1988 Olympics singles and the Wimbledon Ladies doubles that same year.

From 1987 through 1991, coached by Složil, Graf won ten Grand Slam championships, competing at the Australian Open (1988-89-90), French Open (1987-88), Wimbledon (1988-89-91) and the U.S. Open (1988-89), plus numerous side tournaments"

I wouldn't mind if Petra took inspiration from both of these players. :drive:

Besides her game and physical attributes, I totally admire how Steffi stayed focused and persevered through out all the years, injuries, surgeries, ebbs and flows, controversies and continual competition. It was truly a marvel to witness.

She and Martina indeed, are two people to thoroughly admire for their long careers, prolonged excellence/improvement and record breaking.

Good Luck Petra. And yes, you can certainly draw inspiration from either one of them!!

Petronius
Apr 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Besides her game and physical attributes, I totally admire how Steffi stayed focused and persevered through out all the years, injuries, surgeries, ebbs and flows, controversies and continual competition. It was truly a marvel to witness.

She and Martina indeed, are two people to thoroughly admire for their long careers, prolonged excellence/improvement and record breaking.

Good Luck Petra. And yes, you can certainly draw inspiration from either one of them!!

This!

BTW, on Friday I visited the CZ-Serbia Davis Cup match in Prague (indoors on clay) and it was a great experience. Despite Djokovic's absence the arena was packed and the atmosphere was fabulous. I saw Petra's manager there and there were also lots of fans from Petra's club (Prostějov), who cheered loudly for Berdych and Stepanek. What surprised me is that there was no Hawk-Eye and this resulted in many controversies. For example, the TV showed that Tipsarevic won a point after the ball had bounced twice, but the umpire failed to notice.
It would be great to have Hawk-Eye for clay matches as well, but I've heard that it's very expensive.

TimeyWimey
Apr 10th, 2012, 04:08 PM
This!

BTW, on Friday I visited the CZ-Serbia Davis Cup match in Prague (indoors on clay) and it was a great experience. Despite Djokovic's absence the arena was packed and the atmosphere was fabulous. I saw Petra's manager there and there were also lots of fans from Petra's club (Prostějov), who cheered loudly for Berdych and Stepanek. What surprised me is that there was no Hawk-Eye and this resulted in many controversies. For example, the TV showed that Tipsarevic won a point after the ball had bounced twice, but the umpire failed to notice.
It would be great to have Hawk-Eye for clay matches as well, but I've heard that it's very expensive.

i guess that's more of a tradition to not have electronic review on clay court :(

paulmara
Apr 10th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Petra is working on her return. She is trying to hit it like a man. She had several tennis homeworks.

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/tenis/_zprava/wimbledonska-vitezka-petra-kvitova-piluje-v-turecku-novou-zbran--1043700

paulmara
Apr 11th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Petra is (probably) staying in ARCADIA GOLF & SPORT RESORT.

http://www.parasolholidays.com/arcadiagolf.jpg

http://www.rozhlas.cz/zpravy/cestydolondyna/_zprava/petra-kvitova-nahani-fyzicku-v-rodisti-lonske-slavy-turecke-antalyi--1044085

mdx
Apr 11th, 2012, 10:08 AM
For those who don't speak czech some interesting points from radio report paulmara posted link to:

Petra is practicing new method of returning serve. They do not go to details about what kind of return it is except that it is usually used by male tennnis players. Petra adds that some women also can do it and that she has already tried it before but had some troubles with rhythm that's needed for that kind of return. (Does anybody have a clue what kind of return they might be talking about?)

She also adds that David Kotyza (who is not with her in Turkey) gave her some tennis homeworks (new return is one of them) that she is trying to fulfil. Fitness conditioning is what she does most in Turkey but she also practices tennis there.

Jozef Ivanko adds that Petra is not in top form yet but her strength and endurance is slowly reaching the same level as it was at this time last year.

mdx
Apr 11th, 2012, 10:41 AM
As for the second radio report paulmara posted, there is not much interesting tennis info. There is an interview with manager of hotel Petra is staying at - he says how proud and happy he is that Petra is staying there, that he admires her modesty, spontaneity, communicativeness and he likes how she is enthusiastic about the training, because talent is, of course, not enough. He thinks that she is very strong mentally and considers her to be great personality that czech people must be proud of. He hopes that she will come back again next year.

Jozef Ivanko is joking that the reporter should join their training so that he could write report about how painful Petra's training is. Reporter says he would but it would have to be no longer than like ten seconds :-)

Jozef Ivanko also mentions the types of exercises they are doing like running in the sand, up the hill, working out with dumb-bells, toning belts and rubber, throwing heavy balls and other exercises to improve dynamic strength, movement etc. Reporter says that there is no idle time between exercises, they come immediately after each other.

Petra admits that the training hurts quite a bit but she says it's ok and it's exactly what they are there for and no one is complaining at all. Reporter asks Petra how is it possible that Ivanko says that he even must be slowing her down sometimes, that she has no problem with motivation even though exercises are endlessly repeating. Petra explains that for one they have two boys with them who always do more than them girls and also that she wants to do a little bit more than the others speculating that it's probably because of her nature.

GoofyDuck
Apr 11th, 2012, 11:52 AM
So she is getting rid of the tummy :oh:

Losing Streak
Apr 11th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Hope this will pay off like it should :drool::drool::drool:

mdx
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I don't know about the tummy. She was at this training camp last year as well and it didn't have any effect on it. Maybe the fitness coach does not care about that or maybe it even helps Petra's power game? We'll see next weekend but I would be surprised if something changed in this regard.

Excelscior
Apr 11th, 2012, 03:13 PM
All Good To hear!!

And the Tennis Channel, will be showing the Italy, Czech Republic Fed Cup matches, live-I think.

So hopefully, we'll get to see some of this recent training, tweaking, and it's effects on Petra.

Excelscior
Apr 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM
PS: As far as Petra's return game; Petra needs to focus on-Getting the return in- hard up the middle, more often and more consistently; instead of just going for a return winner or error, so many other times.

I hope this alleged "man return" helps even out that balance. :eek: :confused: :eek:.......We'll see?

18majors
Apr 11th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Ten more days and we'll have FedCup.

Barktra
Apr 12th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Her is a article on the WTA site about her training for the clay season

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/OffCourtNews/Read/0,,12781~2731727,00.html

Petronius
Apr 12th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Her is a article on the WTA site about her training for the clay season

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/OffCourtNews/Read/0,,12781~2731727,00.html

What has been a typical day?
"In the morning we have a relaxed breakfast and then around 11am we start the first section, which depends - sometimes it's running in the sand, working with medicine balls or training in the gym with weights. Then we have lunch and rest for three hours. Around 4pm we start training again - mostly long distance - and then I can play tennis finally! The end of the day is more relaxed. We have a massage or maybe visit the spa, then dinner and finally to bed."

LOL, and she's trying to tell us that this is not a seaside vacation with her sweetheart. She's basically doing nothing two-thirds of the day. And people complain about the poor quality of female tennis :lol:

Simugna Help
Apr 12th, 2012, 10:31 AM
She didn't state how long is her afternoon/evening workout, but 5-6 hours a day sounds about right. Proper rest is as important as working out, and if she actually puts her heart into it she should be exhausted after each session.

Excelscior
Apr 12th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Why do they have to work out together in the first place (Petra and Adam)?

I know he's a tennis player as well. But It's only going to create a stronger emotional departure when they eventually separate/break up.

I'm not being negative folks. That's just the odds; especially when you consider that Adam is only 17 or 18, to Petra's now 22. And she's successful to boot. Adam's got a long way to go.

As far as Kvitova's work out regimen? It did Petra great last season; so I assume/presume, she'll do fine with this one as well. We just need to get those visions of Indian Wells and Miami, with Petra visibly laboring out of our heads.

Slutiana
Apr 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I'd imagine she's doing 2 hours of training in the morning, then another 1/2 hours of fitness and then finally 3/2 hours of tennis. There's nothing wrong with how many hours she's doing - that's pretty much how much the top players on both tours spend. It's more about what she does in that time and how hard she pushes herself, rather than spending 10 hours a-day training. That would just kill her body.

The only weird thing is the timing as most players tend to start much earlier and then finish earlier too, having the rest of the day off to do treatment or whatever.

Slutiana
Apr 12th, 2012, 01:39 PM

I know he's a tennis player as well. But It's only going to create a stronger emotional departure when they eventually separate/break up.

I'm not being negative folks. That's just the odds; especially when you consider that Adam is only 17 or 18, to Petra's now 22. And she's successful to boot. Adam's got a long way to go.
:tape:

Firstly, they have the same fitness coach.

And secondly, they're in a long-term relationship and spend most of their time at different tournaments, far away from each other. It's only natural that they'd want to spend time together the few times a year when both are taking a small break from tournaments.

mac47
Apr 12th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they got married and grew old together.

Excelscior
Apr 12th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Yuk (to Mac47)! Lol

And as far as the previous post, he/she took me too seriously. Lol.

As you guys all know, I always felt the relationship was silly, but (hey!) it's her life, not mine.

QPF fan says/thinks he makes Petra and her tennis happy. :eek: :confused: :eek:

Nuff Said. Go Petra!

TimeyWimey
Apr 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Yuk (to Mac47)! Lol

As you guys all know, I always felt the relationship was silly, but (hey!) it's her life, not mine.

Nuff Said. Go Petra!

isn't that evident?

Queen Petra Fan
Apr 12th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Yuk (to Mac47)! Lol

Nuff Said. Go Petra!

With all due respect Ex, what I said was I thought he seemed like a nice guy and made her happy; and that if she was happy she would probably play better tennis than a lonely, homesick Petra. What's wrong with that? Next year he'll turn 18 and be old enough to make all the neo-con rudey poos of the planet who had a problem with their relationship happy. They won't have anything to bitch about anymore. The relationship will be legal and regal.

However, who could have predicted all the health and fitness problems she's had so far this year. That's the real :eek: :confused: :eek: issue we should be concerned about regarding Petra. Speaking of the devil. . .

More coverage of Petra's current training from CNN.com:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/12/sport/tennis/tennis-petra-kvitova-turkey/index.html?hpt=isp_c1

P.S. I continue to wish Adam and Petra boatloads of happiness. :p

:worship: Queen Petra will roar again soon!!! Pretenders to her throne beware!!! :worship:

Losing Streak
Apr 12th, 2012, 05:39 PM
:shrug: Maybe it's an extra boost for her to have the opportinuty to spend time with her bf and to work out along with him, as he's a man it may make her want to push harder to do as well as him :)

Raiden
Apr 12th, 2012, 06:26 PM

I'm not being negative folks Well, you're not exactly being positive are you? :lol:

And as if that's not enough, you have already concluded that the two will eventually break up. Terrific!

In that case Excelsior, why stop half way? Why not take that level of paranoia all the way and demand that Adam be kept away from her now, and only contact her via a remote orgasm-device (just like Sly Stallone and Sandra Bullock in "Demolition Man")

Excelscior
Apr 12th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Funny!:lol: :devil: :lol:

cosmoose
Apr 12th, 2012, 08:46 PM
What has been a typical day?
"In the morning we have a relaxed breakfast and then around 11am we start the first section, which depends - sometimes it's running in the sand, working with medicine balls or training in the gym with weights. Then we have lunch and rest for three hours. Around 4pm we start training again - mostly long distance - and then I can play tennis finally! The end of the day is more relaxed. We have a massage or maybe visit the spa, then dinner and finally to bed."

LOL, and she's trying to tell us that this is not a seaside vacation with her sweetheart. She's basically doing nothing two-thirds of the day. And people complain about the poor quality of female tennis :lol:

Title of the article is, "Kvitova Getting Ready: Turkish Training Block"
I thought wow, she must be having a real intense training camp.
Then I read her description...it's like Club Med! :lol:

Oh Petra...all is forgiven if you find your KvittyGOAT form. :)

PetraReeMona
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Title of the article is, "Kvitova Getting Ready: Turkish Training Block"
I thought wow, she must be having a real intense training camp.
Then I read her description...it's like Club Med! :lol:

Oh Petra...all is forgiven if you find your KvittyGOAT form. :)

:rolls:

True though :lol:

mac47
Apr 13th, 2012, 01:59 AM
I was expecting something like Hell Week for the US Navy SEALS.

The sad thing is, I doubt most of the other top women do anything more impressive. Just imagine if Petra were REALLY in shape, with ripped abs and lean muscle, able to run all day. I would fear for the WTA tour.

pov
Apr 13th, 2012, 03:20 PM

I think you're making things up here. If the "departure" was something new or unforeseen maybe you'd have a point. The fact is that it's an established part of their lives and relationship. Not a biggie. In fact, if they're really into each other as much as it seems it's a strong advantage. Plus, it's not like they can't see each other whenever they want.

Beyond that, I continue to be bemused at how often fans (aka people who don't even know their fave p-layer(s)) get in the business of thinking they know what's best for said player(s) in their personal lives.

pov
Apr 13th, 2012, 03:34 PM
The sad thing is, I doubt most of the other top women do anything more impressive. Just imagine if Petra were REALLY in shape, with ripped abs and lean muscle, able to run all day.
:yeah: Gawd . .I so wish!! Way back when I told Excelsior that if Kvitova spent a month under my auspices, that's what she be. :cool: Of course if she really wanted that level of fitness she'd opt for a plan/trainer that would get her there. I also think that maybe no one is helping her cultivate a hankering for that. Like you said most of the players aren't in that shape. I do think a few of the top players train fairly hard. Wozniacki and Azarenka have good endurance. Sharapova is pretty ripped.

naranka
Apr 14th, 2012, 07:06 AM
I was expecting something like Hell Week for the US Navy SEALS.

The sad thing is, I doubt most of the other top women do anything more impressive. Just imagine if Petra were REALLY in shape, with ripped abs and lean muscle, able to run all day. I would fear for the WTA tour.

The main thing is, Petra is healthy at last, and she's bound to be much more fit than we've yet seen her this year. That alone ought to show in her results. And the fact that she is fitter will boost her confidence, which she sorely needs after that godawful U.S. tour.

Vikapower
Apr 14th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Petra is practicing new method of returning serve. They do not go to details about what kind of return it is except that it is usually used by male tennnis players. Petra adds that some women also can do it and that she has already tried it before but had some troubles with rhythm that's needed for that kind of return. (Does anybody have a clue what kind of return they might be talking about?)

What sort of return of serve is that :confused: unless if Petra has suddenly decided to return in chip/slice like Federer consistently does at times on opponent's second serves to deny them the first offensive strike in the exchange. Also on first serves too at times --

Or, probably related to the split step before contact (?) -- certain guys in ATP tennis have a split step forward to close on the ball and cut the trajectories (0:08, 0:15 etc. on the Youtube video), I can't think of any other player other than Murray or/and Federer who does that consistently though -- Nalbandian does it but it varies and theirs even Federer's isn't as comprehensive as Murray's.

bWRoSjot45I

Girls in the WTA have a tendency to just hop on place (Venus, Ana, Victoria, Radwanska...) and (like Julia)/or have a timid little hop forward (Serena, Maria, Li, Stosur, Cibulkova...), some have almost none (like Wozniacki), Petra she has 2 or 3 hops on place -- that's the assumptions we can have if she talks about timing etc. -- if it's related to the technique on return iDK and I really doubt this changes from ATP to WTA.

18majors
Apr 14th, 2012, 07:30 PM
It will be exciting to see Petra in action next week, she hasn't played for a while.

PetraReeMona
Apr 15th, 2012, 03:42 AM
I think you're making things up here. If the "departure" was something new or unforeseen maybe you'd have a point. The fact is that it's an established part of their lives and relationship. Not a biggie. In fact, if they're really into each other as much as it seems it's a strong advantage. Plus, it's not like they can't see each other whenever they want.

Beyond that, I continue to be bemused at how often fans (aka people who don't even know their fave p-layer(s)) get in the business of thinking they know what's best for said player(s) in their personal lives.

I agree :eek:

:help: :p

Lufa
Apr 24th, 2012, 07:31 PM
WTA All-Access Hour Stuttgart Q&A:

Petra Kvitova

On clay...
"Before last year I didn't like clay too much - I preferred hardcourt and grass, just because they're faster and I'm more comfortable on them with my movement. But then I won Madrid and now I know I can play on clay too."

On Stuttgart...
"I am really looking forward to playing in Stuttgart. It's a beautiful tournament and it's my first time here, so I'm excited to play. I wanted to play last year too but had to withdraw after Fed Cup because I was injured. This year I'm ready to play. I came yesterday, but my first practice is after this All-Access Hour."

On the top group dominating the game...
"If you look at Vika, she played unbelievable at the start of this year. Maria's playing very well too, and Agnieszka won Miami - we have a lot of players at the top, but I don't know if someone will actually dominate women's tennis."

On why she chose Turkey in her recent training block...
"Why Turkey? That's probably a question for my fitness coach! It was my third time there already. He likes to be there. There's sand, and we run in the sand a lot. It's a good climate near the sea - for me as an asthmatic, that's good."

Excelscior
Apr 24th, 2012, 07:34 PM
WTA All-Access Hour Stuttgart Q&A:

Petra Kvitova

On clay...
"Before last year I didn't like clay too much - I preferred hardcourt and grass, just because they're faster and I'm more comfortable on them with my movement. But then I won Madrid and now I know I can play on clay too."

On Stuttgart...
"I am really looking forward to playing in Stuttgart. It's a beautiful tournament and it's my first time here, so I'm excited to play. I wanted to play last year too but had to withdraw after Fed Cup because I was injured. This year I'm ready to play. I came yesterday, but my first practice is after this All-Access Hour."

On the top group dominating the game...
"If you look at Vika, she played unbelievable at the start of this year. Maria's playing very well too, and Agnieszka won Miami - we have a lot of players at the top, but I don't know if someone will actually dominate women's tennis."

On why she chose Turkey in her recent training block...
"Why Turkey? That's probably a question for my fitness coach! It was my third time there already. He likes to be there. There's sand, and we run in the sand a lot. It's a good climate near the sea - for me as an asthmatic, that's good."

I really hope Petra doesn't always believe everything she says. :lol: :eek: :lol:

And if she does; it won't stop her from future world domination. Lol

Excelscior
Apr 24th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Mmmhhh. Interesting.

Petra's NOT scheduled for tomorrow, so she may be playing till Thursday?? OK. If she does, that would give her some rest and a several practice sessions.

There a few time slots left on the second venue-Court 1 (Centre Court is the stadium Court) tomorrow. But I would hope, and highly doubt they would put Petra there? Probably not.

Since the quarterfinals start Friday, I guess it is possible for Petra to play her first match Thursday (probably on her request; coming from Fed Cup).

I don't see Vika scheduled either. So it makes sense.

We'll see?

Excelscior
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:44 PM
A Petra post match article in Germany.

“My role model was Martina Navratilova”

Stuttgart. NWimbledon winner Petra Kvitova’s first appearance at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix lasted one hour less two seconds. The world No. 3 from the Czech Republic had little trouble in overcoming Francesca Schiavone (Italy) 6-2, 6-2. After the match against the 2010 French Open winner, Petra Kvitova talked about . . .

. . . her game on clay:
“I grew up on clay in the Czech Republic. But these days, I actually prefer to play on quicker surfaces. I feel at home here in the Porsche Arena. The surface is similar to the one at the French Open and it aids more aggressive players in contrast to many outdoor clay courts.”

. . . her role model when a junior:
“It was obviously Martina Navratilova. She’s a left-hander like me. I liked her aggressive style which is also my way of playing. And I can beat a lot of players with my game.”

. . . the next challenges:
“I’m obviously looking forward to the French Open, for sure. But first of all I want to play well here in Stuttgart and do as well as possible. I was really sorry at having to withdraw from last year’s tournament because of an injury. And it’s nice that everything has started so well for me here.”

26/04/2012

PetraReeMona
Apr 26th, 2012, 12:59 PM
A Petra post match article in Germany.

She's so adorable and humble :inlove:

Petronius
May 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Petra on British tv on Monday. If anybody watches, please post a short summary here. Thx.

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12379/7763764/Grand-Slam-Girl

PetraReeMona
May 21st, 2012, 08:27 AM
I will record it and attempt to put it on You Tube.

:secret: Never put anything on You Tube before, so don't expect it to be done quickly..... I'm going to have to look up how to do it :scared: :lol:

Petronius
May 21st, 2012, 11:47 AM
I will record it and attempt to put it on You Tube.

:secret: Never put anything on You Tube before, so don't expect it to be done quickly..... I'm going to have to look up how to do it :scared: :lol:

Thanks, but be careful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement :scared:

lupojohn
May 21st, 2012, 03:10 PM
What's your YouTube name so we can all go see it when it's done?

PetraReeMona
May 21st, 2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks, but be careful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement :scared:

Oh!! What do I do then? How else can I get you all to see it :confused:

What's your YouTube name so we can all go see it when it's done?

Haven't thought of one yet. If I do manage to put it somewhere, I will PM you all with my user name.

:scared:

TennisAddict84
May 21st, 2012, 04:58 PM
Oh!! What do I do then? How else can I get you all to see it :confused:

Haven't thought of one yet. If I do manage to put it somewhere, I will PM you all with my user name.

:scared:

that would be awsome! ;)

the special looks well worth watching from the preview

Excelscior
May 21st, 2012, 06:02 PM
Anyone hear about Petra's test results on her abdominals?

She said she would get her results today, right?

Thanks.

PetraReeMona
May 21st, 2012, 07:09 PM
Just transferring it onto disc, then will transfer it onto my computer then will put it on YT :unsure:

PM me and I will send you the link :)

Gimme a couple of hours though. :scared:

Petronius
May 21st, 2012, 07:30 PM
Just transferring it onto disc, then will transfer it onto my computer then will put it on YT :unsure:

PM me and I will send you the link :)

Gimme a couple of hours though. :scared:

Can't wait :hehehe:

PetraReeMona
May 21st, 2012, 11:10 PM
Won't be long (I hope). I uploaded it and when I went to view it, it said "file too big to upload". They tell me that after it took a bloody hour to upload :fiery:

Anyway, I'm converting it to a smaller file and hope it will upload, otherwise I don't know what else to do :shrug:

b2b
May 22nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
Won't be long (I hope). I uploaded it and when I went to view it, it said "file too big to upload". They tell me that after it took a bloody hour to upload :fiery:

Anyway, I'm converting it to a smaller file and hope it will upload, otherwise I don't know what else to do :shrug:

If it is too large and takes you so much trouble on youtube,you might as well upload it to some file sharing site such as depositfile.com,then posting the download link (if it is allowed here) for anyone cares to watch the program.Youtube would delete your video after all due to copyright issue.So,just an alternative.

PetraReeMona
May 22nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
If it is too large and takes you so much trouble on youtube,you might as well upload it to some file sharing site such as depositfile.com,then posting the download link (if it is allowed here) for anyone cares to watch the program.Youtube would delete your video after all due to copyright issue.So,just an alternative.

:yeah:

Thanks for the information. Am trying it now..... so you'll soon see if it works :)

PetraReeMona
May 22nd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Please let me know if it works.

Petra on Sky Sports News

http://depositfiles.com/files/p9ngc9ru7

If it doesn't, I don't know what else to do :shrug:

b2b
May 22nd, 2012, 12:04 PM

Petra on Sky Sports News

damn,the site is under maintenance.I will try it again later.Thanks in advance,it usually works fine.

b2b
May 22nd, 2012, 03:03 PM

Petra on Sky Sports News

i've finished watching.Good quality. haven't gone through many Kvi's interviews before,so wonder it's her english-speaking improved or i started getting used to her accent. Many Thanks.:bounce::bounce:

Meelis
May 22nd, 2012, 03:48 PM
Sky Sports site has this:

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,12611_7771070,00.html

Lufa
May 22nd, 2012, 04:42 PM
Who dares?

Nyzzu_57aiA

PetraReeMona
May 22nd, 2012, 04:52 PM
Sky Sports site has this:

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,12611_7771070,00.html

What i recorded was 22 mins worth - so about a third is cut out of that.

It looks like it's working now if you want to download it.

I hope all my hard work isn't in vain :p

PetraReeMona
May 22nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
i've finished watching.Good quality. haven't gone through many Kvi's interviews before,so wonder it's her english-speaking improved or i started getting used to her accent. Many Thanks.:bounce::bounce:

It works ..... I did it :bounce: :bigclap::rocker2::banana::smoke::aparty:

PetraReeMona
May 22nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
Who dares?

Nyzzu_57aiA

Petra ...... stop looking at me like that :mad::mad::mad: I'm straight, but you will turn me looking at me like that :lol:

My god she's beautiful :hearts:

HowardH
May 23rd, 2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks to I.Luv.Kvitty and Lufa.

She looks really gorgeous in that court date thing.

pov
May 23rd, 2012, 02:58 PM
Anyone hear about Petra's test results on her abdominals?

She said she would get her results today, right?

Thanks.
Well??

Martina CZ
Jun 4th, 2012, 08:40 PM
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/ITF-to-honour-Sanchez-Vicario---Djokovic---Kvitova-and-Main-articolo4359.html
The World Champions Dinner will celebrate the achievements of the 2011 ITF World Champions.

This year’s recipients are singles champions Novak Djokovic (SRB) and Petra Kvitova (CZE); doubles champions Bob and Mike Bryan (USA), and Kveta Peschke (CZE) and Katarina Srebotnik (SLO); junior champions Jiri Vesely (CZE) and Irina Khromacheva (RUS); and wheelchair champions Maikel Scheffers (NED) and Esther Vergeer (NED), who will collect her trophy for a record 12th year.

So Czechs in total are about 10M people, but 30% of seats taken :lol:
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Petronius
Jun 4th, 2012, 10:03 PM
http://www.tennisworldusa.org/ITF-to-honour-Sanchez-Vicario---Djokovic---Kvitova-and-Main-articolo4359.html

So Czechs in total are about 10M people, but 30% of seats taken :lol:
(sorry, couldn't resist)

It's a great achievement, but once Stepanek retires, Berdych will be the only world-class player from CZ.

In the women, it's obviously a different story. There are now nine Czechoslovak-born players in the top 60 (7 Czechs, 2 Slovaks, with Domi just knocking on the top 10). Not to mention six Czech chicks in the top25 of the doubles ranking. Bodes well for Fed Cup of course.

PetraReeMona
Jun 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Anyone have any idea when that CNN programme with Petra and Martina at Wimbledon is on please :confused:

Petronius
Jun 13th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Anyone have any idea when that CNN programme with Petra and Martina at Wimbledon is on please :confused:

I'd like to see it too. I think they'll release it very soon, probably as part of some Wimbledon preview :)

flyingmachine
Jun 13th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I'd like to see it too. I think they'll release it very soon, probably as part of some Wimbledon preview :)
Me too :)

Petronius
Jun 19th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Some good news:

Mauresmo Crashes Out In Eastbourne Debut

Posted on June 22, 2006
EASTBOURNE, UK -- World No.1 Amelie Mauresmo crashed out in her opening match on Wednesday at The Hastings Direct International Championships. After a first round bye, the top-seeded Frenchwoman lost 36 62 63 to unseeded compatriot Nathalie Dechy. This is the fifth time in the past six years an Eastbourne No.1 seed has been ousted in her opening match.

Mauresmo clinches Wimbledon title
Posted on 8 July 2006

Amelie Mauresmo claimed her first Wimbledon title with a gutsy 2-6 6-3 6-4 win over Justine Henin-Hardenne.

:angel:

Raiden
Jun 19th, 2012, 06:02 PM
^ You get points for trying only :p

I think Petra'll get more motivation out of Czech football team's ongoing Euro success than from top-form Juju's freakish loss to a little bit sucky/out-of-form Momo.

Petronius
Jun 19th, 2012, 06:22 PM
^ You get points for trying only :p

I think Petra'll get more motivation out of Czech football team's ongoing Euro success than from top-form Juju's freakish loss to a little bit sucky/out-of-form Momo.

I hope Petra won't follow the football team too closely cause on Thursday they'll be probably routined by Portugal (with Ronaldo scoring a hattrick). :lol:

Off topic: When I first saw the cutie in your avatar I thought that it was Klára Issová, a Czech actress of Syrian origin

http://www.tyden.cz/obrazek/201104/4d9ad3a710039/crop-69925-4d9adc3a9ca38-kla.jpg
http://nd01.jxs.cz/776/210/6a15426b74_4468137_o2.jpg

steni
Jun 19th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I hope Petra won't follow the football team too closely cause on Thursday they'll be probably routined by Portugal (with Ronaldo scoring a hattrick). :lol:

Off topic: When I first saw the cutie in your avatar I thought that it was Klára Issová, a Czech actress of Syrian origin

http://www.tyden.cz/obrazek/201104/4d9ad3a710039/crop-69925-4d9adc3a9ca38-kla.jpg
http://nd01.jxs.cz/776/210/6a15426b74_4468137_o2.jpg

Wow she really looks like Marion Cotillard!

Petronius
Jun 19th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Wow she really looks like Marion Cotillard!

And she's four years younger :angel:

steni
Jun 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM
And she's four years younger :angel:

Who is more famous in the Czech Republic, she or Petra?

Petronius
Jun 19th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Who is more famous in the Czech Republic, she or Petra?

Petra. Since Wimbledon 2011 she's a household name.

steni
Jun 19th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Petra. Since Wimbledon 2011 she's a household name.

Wow, considering this girl is prettier than Petra!

bruce goose
Jun 20th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Some good news:

Mauresmo Crashes Out In Eastbourne Debut

Posted on June 22, 2006
EASTBOURNE, UK -- World No.1 Amelie Mauresmo crashed out in her opening match on Wednesday at The Hastings Direct International Championships. After a first round bye, the top-seeded Frenchwoman lost 36 62 63 to unseeded compatriot Nathalie Dechy. This is the fifth time in the past six years an Eastbourne No.1 seed has been ousted in her opening match.

Mauresmo clinches Wimbledon title
Posted on 8 July 2006

Amelie Mauresmo claimed her first Wimbledon title with a gutsy 2-6 6-3 6-4 win over Justine Henin-Hardenne.

:angel:Was actually thinking about the same stuff right before you posted it:lol:;if Petra does well at Wimby,then this loss will be quickly forgotten by most.However,if she has a similar result at SW19,them a bit of honest introspection will be called for....At least Petra didn't pull out of Wimbledon with a sore hip after bruising it against Rafa's bedpost during a "victory celebration"....that would be REALLY embarrassing...to anyone with self-respect,of course:p.If Petra has a strong opening round at the W,then that'll be a good omen

Petronius
Jun 20th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Wow, considering this girl is prettier than Petra!

There are many pretty girls in the Czech Republic compared to the number of Wimbledon champions :)

steni
Jun 20th, 2012, 05:09 PM
There are many pretty girls in the Czech Republic compared to the number of Wimbledon champions :)

I know Czech women are really beautiful!

paulmara
Jun 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM
"Tennis-Life would be boring without pressure" - Kvitova

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/06/20/tennis-women-kvitova-idUKL3E8HI8220120620

Petra Kvitova reveals secret Martina Navratilova advice helped her to win Wimbledon

http://www.laureus.com/news/petra-kvitova-reveals-secret-martina-navratilova-advice-helped-her-win-wimbledon

pov
Jun 20th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Petra Kvitova reveals secret Martina Navratilova advice helped her to win Wimbledon
LONDON, June 20, 2012

Czech star Petra Kvitova says it was advice from her role model (tennis legend Martina Navratilova) that helped her to win Wimbledon last year.

Speaking in an interview with Laureus.com just days before this year’s Wimbledon, Kvitova said of Navratilova: “She is a very nice person to me and I had a good chat with her at Wimbledon. She had some advice for me. She has a lot of experience in her career and she is very smart.”

When asked what Navratilova had said to her, Kvitova just smiled and said: “It’s a secret. I’m not going to tell anyone.”

And Laureus World Sports Academy Member Martina Navratilova is keeping the secret too. Asked if she had given Kvitova advice about her tennis and how to win Wimbledon, she said: “Sure, sure, I came to her before the final and said a few things. I think coming from somebody that has been there makes a big difference. You can talk all you want about psychology, but if you have not felt it yourself, how do you really know what is going on?”

LvuhPP8IFtU

Martina, also originally from the Czech Republic, was asked if she felt Kvitova could win Wimbledon again this year. She said: “Petra does play an attacking game. She is very forceful from the base line of course, and when there is an opportunity to come to the net she comes to the net more than Maria Sharapova or even Serena Williams.

“Petra should feel great about being the defending champion at Wimbledon this year. It gives you a little extra power and confidence when you are the defending champion. It is a good kind of pressure that you feel there because Wimbledon makes you feel more like a defending champion than any other tournament. That is how I felt and it really makes you feel good about yourself. So that should help.

“I would still like to see her more aggressive. For Petra it is always a matter of missing or making the shots. If she makes them she could on a given day beat anybody. She is a great talent and she wants it badly and she has got a great head on her shoulders and I think the sky is the limit.”

Kvitova says in her interview: “Wimbledon is always something special for me and I think it is because of the grass, playing in the white clothes and you feel the history when you are on Centre Court. It is something special and I always feel it. After Wimbledon last year, I was very big in the Czech Republic and I was not prepared for it and a lot of people recognised me in the street. It was very strange for me, but I think that it is a good part of the tennis life.”

Can she win Wimbledon again? Kvitova said: “I think it is very tough to say that I believe I can win Wimbledon. I have a good game, but I think that a lot of players can also play very well on the grass, so it is not easy to say. I hope that I win. Of course I would like to be a winner again, but it is not easy.”

She says she rates Martina Navratilova as the greatest modern women’s tennis player. “I try to play fast and aggressive like her and she had a great serve, so I am trying to have a good serve too. She played very aggressively on the grass, serve-volley. I know that it is maybe the key to playing on grass.”

TennisAddict84
Jun 20th, 2012, 08:29 PM
great video and article! love the mutual admiration & respect between Martina and Petra. Petra should def consult her ASAP for her Wimbledon preparation...given how her game is ATM.

steni
Jun 20th, 2012, 09:07 PM
great video and article! love the mutual admiration & respect between Martina and Petra. Petra should def consult her ASAP for her Wimbledon preparation...given how her game is ATM.

It would be lovely if Martina in some way could join Petra's team! But I guess Martina is a very busy person!

TennisAddict84
Jun 21st, 2012, 01:44 AM
It would be lovely if Martina in some way could join Petra's team! But I guess Martina is a very busy person!

I think Martina would make the time for her ;) but it's up to Petra to reach out to her.

bruce goose
Jun 21st, 2012, 05:11 AM
I know Czech women are really beautiful!Btw,in case you hadn't heard already,'love handles' usually refers to oversized hips.The term is used more often with reference to women,for whatever reasons....Frankly,though,I feel that Petra is beautiful in her own way regardless of whether she fits the popular prototype.....There are a couple glamour queens on the Tour who,once you get beyond the outward,lovely surface and find out what kind of PEOPLE they are,almost make you wanna puke

GoofyDuck
Jun 21st, 2012, 07:08 AM
Kvitova will attend the Wimbledon ball in a Alexander Mcqueen gown. According to WTA website

pov
Jun 21st, 2012, 01:11 PM
Btw,in case you hadn't heard already,'love handles' usually refers to oversized hips.The term is used more often with reference to women,for whatever reasons....
No and . .not really. The term refers to the lower abdomen/lower/back/waist area not the hips. (Pinch more than an inch) And it's often used for men too.

And . htf did that topic get brought up in this thread?

steni
Jun 21st, 2012, 01:22 PM
I feel that Petra is beautiful in her own way regardless of whether she fits the popular prototype.....There are a couple glamour queens on the Tour who,once you get beyond the outward,lovely surface and find out what kind of PEOPLE they are,almost make you wanna puke

I agree. Thats why I like her very much. You can see the kind of person she is on and off the court. She doesn't hide behind PR talking, she is natural and herself. And I hate very much when people make fun of her belly... or like someone in GM said that she is gonna be a disaster in Alexander McQueen... I meant Petra is so loveable!

bruce goose
Jun 21st, 2012, 01:25 PM
No and . .not really. The term refers to the lower abdomen/lower/back/waist area not the hips. (Pinch more than an inch) And it's often used for men too.

And . htf did that topic get brought up in this thread?The hips are located on the side of the waist area,so it's not as if I was miles apart in distance,Einstein:lol:but I'll admit that I may have misspoken since I don't use your American idioms as frequently now that I'm back home.However,it's DEFINITELY used more by women cuz I recall that distinctly from my time in the States.I put the response BRIEFLY here b/c I didn't wanna honor the manure thread you created to chat with trolls about Petra,and why do you care if I made a quick mention of it above?There's plenty of downright nasty stuff about Petra at TF,so my comments shouldn't have driven you into therapy or anything .....I'm headed off to work now:wavey:...

EDIT: To other Petra fans----Was just having a little fun at someone's expense earlier cuz sometimes it's amusing to mess with slavish,ideological drones such as militant feminists and Jehovah's Witnesses...intellectual equals,in most all cases.However,I promised to avoid the heavily inflammatory stuff so,upon reflection,much of the original post was modified.

Still,I'd call it common sense to NOT start aimless threads that could VERY easily be discussed within the regular places that deal with Petra's performance....it's pointless clutter to create threads right here for ordinary questions...that's what babbling GM is for,quite apparently.It's especially foolish when the title refers to her as 'Kvitova' and not 'Petra' as that creates the impression that the OP is not a fan and is inviting hostile,negative comments...may as well have a neon sign that flashes "Trolls welcome to bash Petra here".On a final note,we should be vigilant,IMO,in case garbage threads about Petra,that are spawned in GM,get errantly moved here under the idiotic excuse that they belong in the player forum.I haven't seen that happening here yet but it HAS happened elsewhere so it's certainly not impossible

steni
Jun 21st, 2012, 01:35 PM
I was looking to her belly and no she doesn't look fine

She gained weight since last year, in the love handles area too

But I suppose this is too hard to understand for an idiotic fanboy

This

Excelscior
Jun 21st, 2012, 03:44 PM
LONDON, June 20, 2012

Czech star Petra Kvitova says it was advice from her role model (tennis legend Martina Navratilova) that helped her to win Wimbledon last year.

Speaking in an interview with Laureus.com just days before this year’s Wimbledon, Kvitova said of Navratilova: “She is a very nice person to me and I had a good chat with her at Wimbledon. She had some advice for me. She has a lot of experience in her career and she is very smart.”

When asked what Navratilova had said to her, Kvitova just smiled and said: “It’s a secret. I’m not going to tell anyone.”

And Laureus World Sports Academy Member Martina Navratilova is keeping the secret too. Asked if she had given Kvitova advice about her tennis and how to win Wimbledon, she said: “Sure, sure, I came to her before the final and said a few things. I think coming from somebody that has been there makes a big difference. You can talk all you want about psychology, but if you have not felt it yourself, how do you really know what is going on?”

LvuhPP8IFtU

Martina, also originally from the Czech Republic, was asked if she felt Kvitova could win Wimbledon again this year. She said: “Petra does play an attacking game. She is very forceful from the base line of course, and when there is an opportunity to come to the net she comes to the net more than Maria Sharapova or even Serena Williams.

“Petra should feel great about being the defending champion at Wimbledon this year. It gives you a little extra power and confidence when you are the defending champion. It is a good kind of pressure that you feel there because Wimbledon makes you feel more like a defending champion than any other tournament. That is how I felt and it really makes you feel good about yourself. So that should help.

“I would still like to see her more aggressive. For Petra it is always a matter of missing or making the shots. If she makes them she could on a given day beat anybody. She is a great talent and she wants it badly and she has got a great head on her shoulders and I think the sky is the limit.”

Kvitova says in her interview: “Wimbledon is always something special for me and I think it is because of the grass, playing in the white clothes and you feel the history when you are on Centre Court. It is something special and I always feel it. After Wimbledon last year, I was very big in the Czech Republic and I was not prepared for it and a lot of people recognised me in the street. It was very strange for me, but I think that it is a good part of the tennis life.”

Can she win Wimbledon again? Kvitova said: “I think it is very tough to say that I believe I can win Wimbledon. I have a good game, but I think that a lot of players can also play very well on the grass, so it is not easy to say. I hope that I win. Of course I would like to be a winner again, but it is not easy.”

She says she rates Martina Navratilova as the greatest modern women’s tennis player. “I try to play fast and aggressive like her and she had a great serve, so I am trying to have a good serve too. She played very aggressively on the grass, serve-volley. I know that it is maybe the key to playing on grass.”

Old news (the secret advice part). And yes, Petra did mention what the advice was, if not all of it previously. I don't remember at the moment.

But I guess we'll hear a lot of these before/during the tournament. :lol:

Yeah, Petra talked about this/that last year. The problem is, despite Martina's encouragement since and up until the present, Petra won't talk to Martina (probably until the next time she sees her again at Wimby). :lol:

Petra hasn't figured out yet, that she can actually talk to Martina about life, tennis, her mental aspect/approach, and general advice during the tennis season. It doesn't have to be outright training, game preparation, like she's Kvitty's coach (though I'm sure, Martina could even be an official member of Team Petra in some capacity, but Petra's probably to polite, uninterested at the moment, and structured to even hint to such a possibility).

The irony of the article of course is, if the advice helped so much then, why wouldn't you call Martina more often now, and during and in preparation for majors (which would seem like an appropriate time for Petra to call, text or e-mail her)? Navratilova says Petra hasn't, despite her inducements.

Martina wants to be like Petra's big sister/mentor (which I am ALL FOR myself). And she's basically been soliciting Petra the past year (with class of course) to help life coach her, give advice/tips, insight, anything it seems.

Despite Petra's reluctance to respond so far, I hope Martina doesn't give up asking or throwing out feelers to Petra, and keeps reaching out to her.

When is Kvitty going to realize, that she's a top player/a somebody to, and stop acting like some dumb hick, thats just happy to be there. Contact the women sometimes Petra!!! :fiery: :lol: :fiery:

steni
Jun 21st, 2012, 04:12 PM
Old news (the secret advice part). And yes, Petra did mention what the advice was, if not all of it previously. I don't remember at the moment.

Yeah, Petra talked about this/that last year. The problem is, despite Martina's encouragement since and up until the present, Petra won't talk to Martina (probably until the next time she sees her again at Wimby). :lol:

Petra hasn't figured out yet, that she can actually talk to Martina about life, tennis, her mental aspect/approach, and general advice during the tennis season. It doesn't have to be outright training, game preparation, like she's Kvitty's coach (though I'm sure, Martina could even be an official member of Team Petra in some capacity, but Petra's probably to polite, uninterested at the moment, and structured to even hint to such a possibility).

The irony of the article of course is, if the advice helped so much then, why wouldn't you call Martina more often now, and during and in preparation for majors (which would seem like an appropriate time for Petra to call, text or e-mail her)? Navratilova says Petra hasn't, despite her inducements.

Martina wants to be like Petra's big sister/mentor (which I am ALL FOR myself). And she's basically been soliciting Petra the past year (with class of course) to help life coach her, give advice/tips, insight, anything it seems.

Despite Petra's reluctance to respond so far, I hope Martina doesn't give up asking or throwing out feelers to Petra, and keeps reaching out to her.

When is Kvitty going to realize, that she's a top player/a somebody to, and stop acting like some dumb hick, thats just happy to be there. Contact the women sometimes Petra!!! :fiery: :lol: :fiery:

Me too! Petra is so dumb, she should invite Martina to join the team!

Excelscior
Jun 21st, 2012, 04:36 PM
I agree. Thats why I like her very much. You can see the kind of person she is on and off the court. She doesn't hide behind PR talking, she is natural and herself. And I hate very much when people make fun of her belly... or like someone in GM said that she is gonna be a disaster in Alexander McQueen... I meant Petra is so loveable!

That person was obviously a pressed, absent minded or misguided hater, cause Petra (by all accounts) looked great at last years Wimbledon ball, and usually cleans up very well. So you really can't take credence in what a lot of people say, especially from comments on the Internet.

TennisAddict84
Jun 21st, 2012, 06:05 PM

This. Petra, just call the woman already! lol

Hell, I think if Petra had reached out to Martina during FO, her outcome prob would've turned out differently at that tournament.

Excelscior
Jun 21st, 2012, 11:56 PM
This. Petra, just call the woman already! lol

Hell, I think if Petra had reached out to Martina during FO, her outcome prob would've turned out differently at that tournament.

You're absolutely right. I agree.

Many times when Petra has won great matches when losing, or after bad periods, she's turned it around (like losing to Kutznetsova at Fed cup in the third set, and Peter Pala told her "it's only one break", and Petra roared back to win six games in a row, the set and match). So I agree with you. Good words and confidence (especially from someone like Martina), before and after a match, could certainly give Petra confidence, calm her down, and/or give her better perspective.

Plus, if someone like Martina (who's a legend Petra doesn't see and talk to everyday like her coach), tells her "You can win this, you are the best player here", it holds an entirely different cachet and effect, than when her coach says it.

Agreed.

bruce goose
Jun 22nd, 2012, 04:11 AM
You guys make some good points above,but don't forget that great players rarely make effective coaches(supposedly because most other players aren't as driven as the legends are...and the HOFers often have little patience for that),so maybe a more specialized role would work better in this case

pling
Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:53 PM
Article from the Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/mission-impossible-for-petra-kvitova-to-emulate-her-czech-mate-martina-navratilova-7873493.html

Mission impossible for Petra Kvitova to emulate her Czech mate Martina Navratilova

Wimbledon champion Kvitova can only dream of matching her hero's nine crowns

by Paul Newman, Friday 22 June 2012

They are from the same central European country, which has a population of just 10.5 million. They both play left-handed, both have an aggressive game and both won their first Grand Slam singles titles at Wimbledon at the age of 21. Although they were born 34 years apart, in hugely contrasting eras, you sense that Martina Navratilova and Petra Kvitova share a bond that can only grow stronger.

Kvitova, who was born in Bilovec in 1990, the year after the "Velvet Revolution" ended four decades of Communist rule in her country, made her breakthrough at the All England Club last summer, winning her first Grand Slam final. Now all she has to do to emulate Navratilova is go out and do it again 58 more times. Navratilova, who was born in Prague in 1956 and sought political asylum in the United States 19 years later, has a record that defies belief. Her 59 Grand Slam titles comprised 18 in singles, including a record nine at Wimbledon, 31 in women's doubles and 10 in mixed doubles. She secured the last of them, the US Open mixed doubles crown, in her final match just one month short of her 50th birthday.

"I have a really long way to go," Kvitova said with a smile when asked about following Navratilova. "When I was growing up, she was my idol. Actually, my father was a really big fan and he showed me her videos when she played at Wimbledon. When I started playing she was still playing mixed and doubles, so that's how I know her."

There is a sense of awe in Kvitova's voice when she speaks about Navratilova, who in turn talks in admiring tones of the first time she saw Kvitova play, having been alerted to her talent by yet another Czech Wimbledon champion. "Jana Novotna was telling me about her," Navratilova recalled. "Then I saw her and I thought: 'God, if this girl gets it together, there's going to be trouble'."

At the start of last year, Kvitova was the world No 34 and had only ever won one tournament on the main tour, but after securing a title in the first week of the season she enjoyed a wonderful year. Five more titles followed, including Wimbledon and the WTA Championships, and she rounded off the year by leading the Czechs to their first Fed Cup title as an independent nation.

The only blip came between Wimbledon and the end of the US Open, where Kvitova lost in the first round, having won only two matches in the preceding two months as she struggled briefly to come to terms with her achievement. "It wasn't very easy getting used to being famous," she said. "Everybody stared at me in the supermarket and on the street. I think my life changed, for sure."

Kvitova still lives in her flat in Prostojev but has a new car. "I had a Skoda, but after Wimbledon I changed to BMW," she said. Does she like driving fast? "Unfortunately, yes." Has she collected any speeding tickets? "No, not yet. I'm a good girl."

Other than the new car (provided by a sponsor), Kvitova said she had not treated herself to a reward for winning Wimbledon. "I know I have money, but it's in the bank and for me, for now, it's only numbers," she said.

Although she has not won a title this year, Kvitova has continued to demonstrate her appetite for the big occasion by reaching the semi-finals of the year's first two Grand Slam tournaments, losing on both occasions to Maria Sharapova, whom she beat in the Wimbledon final.

Kvitova's game, based on big, attacking groundstrokes, is particularly effective on grass. Did Navratilova think Kvitova might one day threaten her Wimbledon record? "Well, she got started the same time I did with the first one and you never know," Navratilova said.

"These days it's hard to stay healthy long enough because the game is so much more physical, but the way she plays, if anybody could do it, it could be her because she plays such a powerful game. The points are short, so she doesn't have to exert herself that much. But let her win the second one, then we can talk more about it. It was a great effort and she wants it badly. That's a step in the right direction."

Kvitova admitted that arriving at Wimbledon this year as champion would be very different to how she felt 12 months ago. "I know there will be pressure, that I can't lose in the first round because it's a lot of ranking points and a lot of people are coming to watch me," she said. "I know how it will be, but I won't be thinking about whether I can do it again. I'll just go step by step."

Navratilova said that Kvitova's 6ft frame and power were an advantage, but added: "She just needs to get a little lighter on her feet. It's so easy to think: 'I can just power through this.' Four out of five times you can, but the fifth time it's going to go out. On clay that doesn't win and in the wind that doesn't win. When things go your way, great, but when they don't that's when perfect technique and perfect footwork come in handy.

"I learnt new footwork when I was 32, with the cross-step to the outside, so you can retool or improve. Petra doesn't need to retool, but she can definitely improve. She's 22. I was clueless at that age, so she's way ahead of me on that one." Had Kvitova modelled her game on Navratilova's? "That's a question for my father because he was my coach until I was 16," she said. "I think I was born with this aggressive game inside me. I got my calmness from my Mum."

For a country of modest resources, the Czech Republic has an astonishing tennis pedigree. In the last 60 years, the country has produced eight Grand Slam singles champions in Navratilova, Kvitova, Novotna, Hana Mandlikova, Jaroslav Drobny, Jan Kodes, Ivan Lendl and Petr Korda.

"The club system there produces really good players," Navratilova said. "You have it in France also. You don't see it in the States, you don't see it in England. In other countries you go to the club, hang out and play sports. Kids become much better all-round athletes, they're active, they're healthy and they're doing it for fun."

Kvitova believes that Czech parents instil a strong work ethic in their children, while Navratilova stressed the quality of Czech coaching. Kvitova works with David Kotyza, although Navratilova said she would always be happy to give some advice, as she did before last year's Wimbledon final.

"She told me I have to not think it's the Wimbledon final, that it's a normal match, and that I can do it," Kvitova said. "When I went on court I was really lucky because it just felt like a first-round match or something."

Does Kvitova call Navratilova for advice at other times? "No," Navratilova said. "She's probably too shy for that. I'm sure she will as the years go by."

pling
Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:56 PM
And one from the Guardian too:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/22/wimbledon-2012-petra-kvitova?newsfeed=true

Wimbledon 2012: The day my father cried and cried – by Petra Kvitova

The reigning Wimbledon women's champion tells the personal story behind her rise to a first grand slam victory

Donald McRae
guardian.co.uk, Friday 22 June 2012 13.58 BST

"After I won Wimbledon last year you saw how my father was crying," Petra Kvitova says, her eyes widening at the memory of a deeply personal moment. Throughout last year's final against Maria Sharapova, Kvitova's father, Jiri, was a man consumed. Whenever she won a crucial point he shuddered with delight while a heavily mulleted family friend bellowed like an old seal as he exchanged double high-fives with her two older brothers. There were times when Jiri looked as if he might catch fire amid such searing passion

"He was a little crazy," Kvitova says, laughing, "and for me it was a little funny. The tears were the most funny. Normally, when I was a kid, he showed no emotion. And now he was crying …"

Kvitova pauses and then, with comic timing, says coolly, "A lot! He was crying on court. He was crying for an hour after the match was over. When I have a good result, now, he is like that. But he wasn't always the same."

Wimbledon begins on Monday and Kvitova's defence of her title, especially against Sharapova, the new world No1 and French Open champion, will test a belief that the 22-year-old Czech will eventually emerge as a dominant force. It is striking that Martina Navratilova, born in Czechoslovakia and Kvitova's inspiration, insists that the young woman from the small town of Fulnek will become a great of the women's game.

Yet, before she relives her emotional visit to Wimbledon with Navratilova, Kvitova offers an illuminating account of her relationship with her father and their stark past. "I will always be the little sister," she says, "because my one brother is 36 this year and the other is 33. My father was their coach and they tried to play well, but it was hard because my family did not have much money. We didn't have a car so they had to travel by train – and it wasn't really possible for them to think of a nice future in tennis.

"I practised with my father until I was 16 in Fulnek. Sometimes it was tough. I couldn't go out with my friends because I had to practise. He knew what young kids do. In Fulnek there is nothing there. We have four tennis courts, a castle and a sports centre. I played volleyball until I was 11, but my friends were just walking through the streets, maybe smoking a cigarette. He was a teacher, and so he was maybe afraid about this.

"It was a really hard time for me when I was 15 or 16. With my father I didn't have a very good relationship because of tennis. When we were at home we were still talking about the tennis and it was too much. It wasn't much good for us. And I didn't want to continue with the tennis."

Was she simply fed up with her father controlling her life? "It was hard but I'm not really a party person. So for me it was OK and I did get out sometimes with my friends. Just never in the week because I didn't have time. But we were maybe too close with the tennis, me and my father. He didn't make the lives of my brothers and me very easy. He pushed us very hard but that's why I am where I am now."

How is her current relationship with her dad? "Good," Kvitova says. "For my parents a lot has changed. They have three children with their own lives and they now have more money so they can relax and not be afraid. So for them it's a much easier life. I know how proud and relaxed they are. Two years ago they were still worried, asking what's happening, how are you? So it gives me pleasure to make them happy.

"But my dad has big passion. For the Federation Cup [when the Czech Republic defeated Italy 4-1 in May in Ostrava] he ordered 140 tickets. It was a great atmosphere and lots of people came to watch me from Fulnek. I was nervous; but I was happy how it turned out."

In contrast to her combustible father, Kvitova's mother is "much more calm. I have taken that from her. I have that same calm inside me".

That serene assurance has often distinguished her play on grass. "The first time I played on grass, at Roehampton, I won a junior tournament. It was terrible. It was raining all the time but I stayed calm. There was so much rain that, when we started playing at last, we had sets of four games. The scores would be like 4-3, 4-1.

"I stayed at the university [campus] and there was just one bed in a small room. It was not so good." Kvitova laughs at the memory. "And then, at my first two [senior] Wimbledons, I didn't get good results. But then, in 2010, everything changed."

She made her breakthrough at Wimbledon when, ranked outside the top 30, Kvitova surprisingly reached the semi-finals. She lost in straight sets to Serena Williams; but Kvitova was galvanised. "I was young and didn't have much experience. I just went there to enjoy it and after that semi-final I knew I could do well at Wimbledon. It is my favourite tournament and I had confidence then.

"Last year the whole tournament went well. In the semis I played [Victoria] Azarenka and I had just beaten her in Madrid. I was nervous before the match but I was fine on the court. I was feeling the shots and I was calm. I think she played very well but I did better in the third set. And then the final …"

Kvitova looks thoughtful as she recalls her emotions before that momentous event. "The night before Sharapova I was OK. I slept well and I was thinking how it will be and what I needed to do. But it was strange just before the match. We had to wait alone. It was terrible. I was too nervous. But once I was on court I was OK. I looked calm. On the inside I was calm. Even on match point I was calm."

She shrugs in amusement. "Maybe because I had three match points I could stay calm. I won the first one."

How did she celebrate? "I went to our house where we were staying in Southfields. We had champagne but I didn't drink a lot. I had one glass. I was so tired. So I had to go to bed but I couldn't sleep so well. Everything was going round in my mind but they were happy thoughts. It was my first grand slam, and it was Wimbledon. Everyone wants to win Wimbledon."

Surprisingly, Kvitova lost this week in the first round at Eastbourne. But, as the world No4 and reigning champion, she expects to mount a formidable defence of her Wimbledon title. "For sure, Sharapova [who defeated Kvitova in the semi-finals of the Australian and French Opens this year] is hard to beat. The Williams sisters are also tough on grass. Anyone in the top 10 has a chance but I think I will be OK."

She smiles sweetly and soon moves on to describe her visit to Wimbledon with Navratilova in the chilled heart of an English winter. "It was very special, just me and Martina. As we walk around we speak in Czech. She told me very nice stories about her experiences – and she had a lot because she won nine [singles] titles there. She was my idol when I was growing up. I loved her because she was also a leftie. Not many leftie women have won Wimbledon. So we walked around Wimbledon and it was empty. It was strange no one was there and no nets were on the courts. But on the board was my score against Sharapova. Then Martina led me to the honours board. I looked up. My name is there once. Martina's name is there nine times."

How did she feel when Navratilova picked her out as the next supreme champion in women's tennis? "It was very good. She is very nice to me. I hope I can do what she says as she is a big fan of me and it is great to have her support. But, still, it is only words. I came close to being No1 earlier this year but Sharapova is playing very well now. It's a nice position for her to be No1 but it's a small goal. For me it's much better to win a grand slam. And there is a lot of work before I do that again."

Kvitova is also working hard on her fast-improving English. "I'm not nervous talking English now," she says with a grin. "After Wimbledon I had a lot of media so I started to speak more. And now Katie [Spellman, her new media manager] has brought me some books."

Later, Kvitova and Spellman, who is English, chat amiably about the books the young Czech is reading. "She didn't want to read Twilight or any of the vampire stuff," Spellman says. "Petra wanted me to find something slightly more romantic as she's a really girly girl. So I've gone for the traditional route and bought her books like The Wind in the Willows and The Secret Garden." "I will tell you how I get on," Kvitova says intently.

It seems a long way from Fulnek; yet Kvitova's fame in her own country is gathering momentum. "Sometimes it feels hard. I go home and at the shops people are looking at me – they know who I am. I'm not saying it's horrible but it is strange. Life has changed and you can't do anything."

Has her old tennis club in Fulnek also changed? "No!" she exclaims. "I've heard from my brother that some children are playing because he is the coach at the club but Fulnek is a small town with 6,000 people. It's not a lot – but they like to play tennis. And since my good results they start to play more."

Eight out of the top 100 women in the world are Czech, compared to one from Britain, and Kvitova seems unsurprised. "We have something inside that makes us want to be better. It makes us work harder. Maybe it's because our parents had a harsh life before us. I know my own father was tough but he helped me a lot. And now it feels good that he can cry with happiness. It is strange – but good."

Petronius
Jun 22nd, 2012, 03:08 PM
Now all she has to do to emulate Navratilova is go out and do it again 58 more times

:lol:

She just needs to get a little lighter on her feet. When things go your way, great, but when they don't that's when perfect technique and perfect footwork come in handy.

I wonder what Excelscior says ? :oh:

In the last 60 years, the country has produced eight Grand Slam singles champions in Navratilova, Kvitova, Novotna, Hana Mandlikova, Jaroslav Drobny, Jan Kodes, Ivan Lendl and Petr Korda

Always gets me how few foreign journalists know that Martina Hingis is also originally from CZ and that she even was a Czech citizen and played for six years for the very same club as Petra.

Navratilova said she would always be happy to give some advice

This is great, hope they'll meet again and talk, especially about that footwork ;)

Great article overall, thanks!

Excelscior
Jun 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
@Petronius

I didn't read the full article (quite long, and I've read most of that stuff before, plus the reporter seemed to be trying to hard), but if Navratilova made that "footwork" comment (and if I understand thats why you mentioned my name), I'll say two things.

1) I've listened to Martina enough during Petra broadcast (not sure if you get Tennis Channel in Czech Rep), to know many times she mis-characterize Petra's strategy during a season, stretches of it, or even the match she's broadcasting (i.e. she's not always as up on Petra matches, playing style or strategy, and sounds almost like an ESPN reporter talking up old memes and cliches, though she's obviously better, cause she knows Petra's over all tennis game better than they do).

2) When Petra was winning last year, she had excellent footwork. Secondly, as I've said many times, usually when players lose matches or play poorly, their footwork is the first culprit, so that makes Petra no different than any/most other players when not playing well, so that's not terribly surprising.

But that's not the only thing that Petra needs to work on. Her mental approach (confidence, fight, strategy), and serve and return are equally as important, and quite deficient this season at the highest levels (top 10 players or top 10 like performances from her opponents). Hopefully, she can get it together here?

Now if I missed what you were saying Petronius, just let me know. Thanks.

steni
Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:25 PM
Petra's footwork wasnt too bad in the beginning of the season... Or it was?

steni
Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
" He didn't make the lives of my brothers and me very easy. He pushed us very hard but that's why I am where I am now."

I was wondering about this for some time. I always though that her father never push Pretra and that's why she couldnt handle the pressure very well sometimes. Im surprised!

TennisAddict84
Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:50 PM
I think at Sydney and AO, it was okay, but IMO she just wasn't hitting the ball that well. I really think Petra's not feeling confident ATM, resulting in her feeling less mentally tough and playing poorly during that Eastbourne loss. And as Excelscior noted, the first thing that goes off the rails is your footwork when you're not playing well.

If Petra can use the first few rounds at Wimbledon to get out the cobwebs and get her game to a place where she feels good about it, then I think she has a good shot at defending. But yea, I was very concerned about her first serve % at Eastbourne. With the serve that she has and the great technique that she possesses, she should not be getting so many first serves into the net. Hopefully, she can work it out.

Excelscior
Jun 22nd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Petra's footwork wasnt too bad in the beginning of the season... Or it was?

You're right.

It was decent and fine earlier in the season.

Petra didn't lose those matches to Sharapova and Li Na in Australia, and McHale and Venus Williams in North America due to her footwork. Agreed. It was good, and certainly not glaringly noticeable.

Petra lost those matches obviously for/from her return of serve (Maria), loss of her serve/brain fart (Li Na), and illness-vs Mchale and Venus Williams. Makarova, was another brain fart/lack of confidence and competitiveness ATM.

Her footwork was poorer during the clay court season (especially when she had to move/slide wide against Pova), especially compared to last year. But I also feel, that had to do with her overall weaker game this year as well, cause Petra is/was always comfortable on the clay, even though she doesn't slide. As stated previously, when you lack confidence, timing, anticipation/distinctiveness or aggression, the first thing that breaks down is your footwork.

Excelscior
Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
" He didn't make the lives of my brothers and me very easy. He pushed us very hard but that's why I am where I am now."

I was wondering about this for some time. I always though that her father never push Pretra and that's why she couldnt handle the pressure very well sometimes. Im surprised!

I think Petra handling pressure, has to do with her winning and playing well. I will agree, with some other players, it doesn't matter if they're winning or playing well, there going to fight till the dear end. So far this year, Petra hasn't shown that will, against good players when she's playing poorly, and it's obvious it's from a lack of confidence, and not winning at the highest levels (originally started by her injuries, lack of feel, at the beginning of the tennis year, which affected her confidence, which then affected her results, ATM).

Excelscior
Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
I think at Sydney and AO, it was okay, but IMO she just wasn't hitting the ball that well. I really think Petra's not feeling confident ATM, resulting in her feeling less mentally tough and playing poorly during that Eastbourne loss. And as Excelscior noted, the first thing that goes off the rails is your footwork when you're not playing well.

If Petra can use the first few rounds at Wimbledon to get out the cobwebs and get her game to a place where she feels good about it, then I think she has a good shot at defending. But yea, I was very concerned about her first serve % at Eastbourne. With the serve that she has and the great technique that she possesses, she should not be getting so many first serves into the net. Hopefully, she can work it out.

Agreed.

A lot of this has to do with, will Petra get the matches in to feel comfortable and instinctive about her game? And she really should, cause she made a run in 2010, when she was a nobody that was playing poorly.

Now of course, the big difference is, Petra is defending champion and has expectations now, combined with the fact she hasn't played great at the highest levels this year, and will this all play on her mind at Wimby--especially if she has some tough moments or a match, where she'll have to play tough or gut out some points. Which Petra will we see?

Even in Petra's Wimby run in 2010, she saved a bunch of match points against Kanepi, and was just fearless. But some how this year (at least up until this point) you couldn't see Petra doing that, especially against that quality of player, though Kanepi has her own historical closeout issues.

Ultimately (like you said), we'll just have to watch and see, and look for signs regarding Petra's play, confidence and calmness on the court/in the tournament.

Hopefully, it's better than some of us are already thinking. I for one, will simply just watch the matches.

Petronius
Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:22 PM
@Petronius

Now if I missed what you were saying Petronius, just let me know. Thanks.

I don't follow Tennis Channel so feel free to share here anything interesting that's said or aired.
As for the footwork, we'll see.

Excelscior
Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:13 AM
I don't follow Tennis Channel so feel free to share here anything interesting that's said or aired.
As for the footwork, we'll see.

No problem. And I already have before. :)

For example, when Martina made the comments about Petra not reaching out to her recently, she made those comments, live on the air on Tennis Channel, when asked at the French Open.

As far as Martina's coverage of Petra's, it's quite interesting. First of all, she picked Petra to win the SW19 last year, on Tennis Channel (when Lindsay Davenport admitted on the air, she hadn't even seen Petra play), in case you didn't know. And she was also confident enough to pick Petra to win the French Open last year to. But she had an even bigger focus on the upcoming Wimbledon, after Petra lost to Li Na.

My problem with Martina THIS YEAR was, during the French Open, she'd criticize Petra to high heaven, making sweeping statements, as if she hadn't followed Petra since last year, and wasn't familiar with Petra's injuries, sickness, lack of play, etc., from January till Miami-and Petra's overall game when she plays well. It was akin to a drunken rage of a parent about their child, though she didn't really mean any harm. :lol:

Now of course, when asked by one of her colleagues on the same broadcast/match, "who'll be better between Sharapova and Vika", Martina promptly responded "Oh, Kvitova, cause she can volley and has more firepower and variety than the other two".

Go Figure! :shrug: Translation; I think she really wants Petra to play better and live up to her potential, and she thinks she can help/assist. :lol: And why not!?

We know, as you mentioned, great players don't always make good coaches. But I don't think Martina is campaigning for that. She just wants to be able to assist, chat/catch up with, and be a good, positive influence with the young, developing Kvitova; she of the humongous young, left handed tennis game. :lol:

And why not? :shrug:

steni
Jun 23rd, 2012, 04:09 AM
You're right.

It was decent and fine earlier in the season.

Petra didn't lose those matches to Sharapova and Li Na in Australia, and McHale and Venus Williams in North America due to her footwork. Agreed. It was good, and certainly not glaringly noticeable.

Petra lost those matches obviously for/from her return of serve (Maria), loss of her serve/brain fart (Li Na), and illness-vs Mchale and Venus Williams. Makarova, was another brain fart/lack of confidence and competitiveness ATM.

Her footwork was poorer during the clay court season (especially when she had to move/slide wide against Pova), especially compared to last year. But I also feel, that had to do with her overall weaker game this year as well, cause Petra is/http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images2007/editor/menupop.gifwas always comfortable on the clay, even though she doesn't slide. As stated previously, when you lack confidence, timing, anticipation/distinctiveness or aggression, the first thing that breaks down is your footwork.

I just don't understand why she should be struggling with confidence? Cause her form is bad? Cause she hasn't win a title? Cause the AO semi?

Raiden
Jun 23rd, 2012, 07:44 AM
In the last 60 years, the country has produced eight Grand Slam singles champions in Navratilova, Kvitova, Novotna, Hana Mandlikova, Jaroslav Drobny, Jan Kodes, Ivan Lendl and Petr Korda Always gets me how few foreign journalists know that Martina Hingis is also originally from CZ and that she even was a Czech citizen and played for six years for the very same club as Petra.Well you Czechs could do something abut that if you want - do what the Britsh do which is, once they suddenly discovered that Petra was the about to win their Wimbledon, they started dragging Navratilova along to wherever Petra goes (I'm pretty sure no one asked Petra anything about Navra in 2010 when she was making her SF run cuz Serena was still the full favorite then).

You Czech media goons could play the same game and drag Hingis along to whenever Petra goes and is one of the favorites to win a tournament :lol:

Raiden
Jun 23rd, 2012, 08:22 AM
My problem with Martina THIS YEAR was, during the French Open, she'd criticize Petra to high heaven, making sweeping statements, as if she hadn't followed Petra since last year

(...)

Martina made the comments about Petra not reaching out to her recently...Did she also demand that Kvitova pay her in cash or certified cheque for being an alleged "inspiration"?

Petronius
Jun 23rd, 2012, 08:25 AM
Well you Czechs could do something abut that if you want - do what the Britsh do which is, once they suddenly discovered that Petra was the about to win their Wimbledon, they started dragging Navratilova along to wherever Petra goes (I'm pretty sure no one asked Petra anything about Navra in 2010 when she was making her SF run cuz Serena was still the full favorite then).

You Czech media goons could play the same game and drag Hingis along to whenever Petra goes and is one of the favorites to win a tournament :lol:

The two Martinas and Novotna, who hold a combined total of 11 Venus Rosewater Dishes, meet often for legend doubles tourneys so I have no doubt they sometimes meet for a coffee after the match and discuss what can be improved in Petra's game :devil:

Excelscior
Jun 23rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Well you Czechs could do something abut that if you want - do what the Britsh do which is, once they suddenly discovered that Petra was the about to win their Wimbledon, they started dragging Navratilova along to wherever Petra goes (I'm pretty sure no one asked Petra anything about Navra in 2010 when she was making her SF run cuz Serena was still the full favorite then).

The irony to your post is, "Hingis really likes Petra's overall game as well", and has spoken very highly about it and Petra; in England at that. But of course no one knows this, cause Petra never called Hingis her idol, and Hingis hasn't left the impression at Wimby that Navratilova has, so no one mentions it in England, etc., or cares. Remember, only one meme/story at a time for our Media. :lol:

Excelscior
Jun 23rd, 2012, 06:29 PM
I just don't understand why she should be struggling with confidence? Cause her form is bad? Cause she hasn't win a title? Cause the AO semi?

Good question.

The Makarova match was a really a weird one.

I guess Petra lost confidence in that match, cause she blew that 4-2, 30-0 lead she had in the first set, then let Makarova back in the game before Petra was comfortable on the grass, while Makarava was/had already played a tournament before.

I think Petra knows when she has her weapons, even if she loses them for a while, she knows she'll come back, thus maintaining her confidence.

It appeared she knew she messed up (blew the first set, and was up in most of the starts of Makarova's service games in the 2nd set) and was in a fight when she let Makarova back in the game-lacking her weapons (no serve, return or forehand), and just panicked, and didn't handle it well.

The irony is, Makarova wasn't even playing that great. Petra just had to hang in there, and settle down some. And of course--as if on cue, Makarova promptly got spanked by Kerber in the 3rd rd 6-2, 6-4 (who subsequently lost to Pashek), to further illustrate Petra's troubles and opportunity against Makarova. She had a great opportunity in this tournament.

Hopefully, she'll start to get her serve, return, and forehand back, along with her mental approach, during practices and her early first rd matches.

Back to confidence. I know it's harder to do than say. But it's real simple. Petra just has to treat each new tournament like the previous one never happened, and just be totally hyped about the current/upcoming event. Just forget the year your having, and focus anew. If she does that she could/should win a few, including Wimby and/or the Olympics. As usual; we'll see?

paulmara
Jun 23rd, 2012, 07:26 PM
Martina Navratilova and Petra Kvotiva share their experiences of winning the Ladies' title with CNN's Open Court.
http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/international/2012/06/21/exp-navratilova-kvitova-open-court-wimbledon-champions.cnn

Something for Bruce
Caroline and Petra practiced yesterday
http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/06/22/kvitova-vs-wozniacki-blondes-time/

miffedmax
Jun 23rd, 2012, 07:52 PM
Big interview with Petra in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/22/wimbledon-2012-petra-kvitova

Petronius
Jun 23rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Big interview with Petra in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/22/wimbledon-2012-petra-kvitova

It's been already posted, but thanks anyway. I thought you're not a fan ;)

Petronius
Jun 23rd, 2012, 10:13 PM
Martina Navratilova and Petra Kvotiva share their experiences of winning the Ladies' title with CNN's Open Court.
http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/international/2012/06/21/exp-navratilova-kvitova-open-court-wimbledon-champions.cnn

That's the video we've been waiting for, thanks. There's actually another related video on the CNN website. It seems they chopped the footage into several pieces.

steni
Jun 24th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Good question.

The Makarova match was a really a weird one.

I guess Petra lost confidence in that match, cause she blew that 4-2, 30-0 lead she had in the first set, then let Makarova back in the game before Petra was comfortable on the grass, while Makarava was/had already played a tournament before.

I think Petra knows when she has her weapons, even if she loses them for a while, she knows she'll come back, thus maintaining her confidence.

It appeared she knew she messed up (blew the first set, and was up in most of the starts of Makarova's service games in the 2nd set) and was in a fight when she let Makarova back in the game-lacking her weapons (no serve, return or forehand), and just panicked, and didn't handle it well.

The irony is, Makarova wasn't even playing that great. Petra just had to hang in there, and settle down some. And of course--as if on cue, Makarova promptly got spanked by Kerber in the 3rd rd 6-2, 6-4 (who subsequently lost to Pashek), to further illustrate Petra's troubles and opportunity against Makarova. She had a great opportunity in this tournament.

Hopefully, she'll start to get her serve, return, and forehand back, along with her mental approach, during practices and her early first rd matches.

Back to confidence. I know it's harder to do than say. But it's real simple. Petra just has to treat each new tournament like the previous one never happened, and just be totally hyped about the current/upcoming event. Just forget the year your having, and focus anew. If she does that she could/should win a few, including Wimby and/or the Olympics. As usual; we'll see?

I think Petra just didn't give a f*, she knows she can win playing ugly, we had seen it before... I think the match would be different if they were at Wimbledon, where I believe Petra would kick Makarova's ass!

Do you think Petra hates to play against pushers or counter punchers?

steni
Jun 24th, 2012, 03:18 AM
[QUOTE=paulmara;21693307]Martina Navratilova and Petra Kvotiva share their experiences of winning the Ladies' title with CNN's Open Court.

Thank you for posting!

:bounce:

ArcticMoose
Jun 24th, 2012, 12:19 PM
It's been already posted, but thanks anyway. I thought you're not a fan ;)

:D Heaps of SS Dementieva Crew now on board the Kvityy Express! - Kvitty has alot of qualities that Dementieva had so she's been a natural magnet to the SS Dementieva Crew ;)

Excelscior
Jun 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I think Petra just didn't give a f*, she knows she can win playing ugly, we had seen it before... I think the match would be different if they were at Wimbledon, where I believe Petra would kick Makarova's ass!

Do you think Petra hates to play against pushers or counter punchers?

I think she used to. But she's played quite well against them lately. :lol:

Now, if you're asking me, would Petra rather have another ball basher, aggressive player, shotmaker, playing against her, that can chip in some errors as well, when Petra's trying to find her game; sure she would! :) :devil: :)

flyingmachine
Jun 25th, 2012, 09:53 AM

Thanx paulmara :worship: Lets do it Petra. :rocker2:

TennisAddict84
Jun 30th, 2012, 01:21 AM
aw Petra was nominated for an espy :D

http://espn.go.com/espys/voting?vote=8082683&lang=en

bruce goose
Jun 30th, 2012, 06:08 AM
aw Petra was nominated for an espy :D

http://espn.go.com/espys/voting?vote=8082683&lang=enThese punk-ass awards shows like the ESPYs or Laureus awards are just minor diversions IF and when the athlete decides to attend them with his/her bf/gf/hubby/wife.The REAL trophies athletes care about are the championship titles: If you asked Petra about her ESPY 20 years from now,she might not even remember what an 'ESPY' WAS:lol:......but you can be damned sure that she'll never forget that moment when she got her first Rosewater Dish;)

Lufa
Jul 1st, 2012, 12:55 AM
I can't remember if I ever read such a fuckery as this article.
Especially shitty is part about Petra's father.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/9367105/Wimbledon-2012-Petra-Kvitovas-latest-victory-may-have-been-efficient-but-it-was-far-from-exciting-to-watch.html

Man who wrote this garbage is very stupid MORON.

mac47
Jul 1st, 2012, 01:11 AM
The writer has evidently confused Petra's father with the moustached fellow who tried to do a chest-bump after the final last year, and fell down. The writer is also obviously not a fan of women's tennis. Federer's 6-1, 6-1, 6-1 first-rounder was entertaining, but Petra's 53 minute display of domination wasn't? He's an ass, and not worth reading.

steni
Jul 1st, 2012, 01:50 AM
I think Petra played very well and I'm very happy about it(SHE REALLY ENTERTAINED ME), so the writer can suck it. But Lepchenko really sucks "without winning a single competition, Lepchenko has accrued nearly £230,000 in prize money. And she has done it, it might be thought, without knowingly delivering anything in the way of entertainment."

Petronius
Jul 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM
Petra is a great girl and she herself admitted she would have no problems if male tennis players earned more - the competition is tougher and the matches are longer.

The chest-bumping guy is Jaroslav Navrátil, the Czech Davis Cup captain, who also works at the Prostějov tennis club.
I've got to admit - and I agree with the writer - that he acted like an idiot. I think there's even a youtube vid "Chest-bump Celebration Fail" or sth like that :lol:

mac47
Jul 1st, 2012, 11:52 AM
Yes, Navratil was widely confused with Petra's dad at the time, including on this forum.

Petra is just great. Even on her Twitter feed title ("Travel the world playing tennis, always smiling") she recognizes that she is living a wonderful life and has a great job.

ArcticMoose
Jul 1st, 2012, 12:26 PM
I can't remember if I ever read such a fuckery as this article.
Especially shitty is part about Petra's father.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/9367105/Wimbledon-2012-Petra-Kvitovas-latest-victory-may-have-been-efficient-but-it-was-far-from-exciting-to-watch.html

Man who wrote this garbage is very stupid MORON.

Below are some of the sensationalist pieces written by this W**k*r for the conservative right-leaning broadsheet called the Telegraph – In short ignore this idiot who earns a living writing these sorts of shit ….

Sharapova shows she's the big noise (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/9366046/Wimbledon-2012-Maria-Sharapova-proves-shes-a-big-noise-as-she-overcomes-Su-Wei-Hsieh.html)

Serena wins but shock and awe has gone (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/9357838/Wimbledon-2012-Serena-Williams-fights-through-against-Barbora-Zahlavova-Strycova-but-shock-and-awe-has-gone.html)

Sharapova rounds on Simon (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/9363529/Wimbledon-2012-Maria-Sharapova-and-Serena-Williams-criticise-Gilles-Simon-for-his-womens-prize-money-views.html)

Kvitova offers efficiency, not excitement (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/9367105/Wimbledon-2012-Petra-Kvitovas-latest-victory-may-have-been-efficient-but-it-was-far-from-exciting-to-watch.html)

Excelscior
Jul 1st, 2012, 01:56 PM
This is a funny article (besides me enjoying the beautiful grass court tennis Petra's played her last two matches), cause I saw the crowd in her last two matches give her thunderous applause and standing ovations after both matches, kinda saying "We adore that type of beatdown performance and display of tennis". You mean, he didn't see Petra take her bows, then walk of the court to more approving applause? :eek:

But the article wasn't that bad (except the Petra father thing), and he's entitled to his opinions and attempts at attention grabbing).

Actually, he seems to know more about Petra, and what preceded/what's going on at Wimbledon, than a lot of his colleagues at other British Rags (though I know that's not saying much). And in a way, he was complimenting Petra on her beatdowns (but I know, he threw in the negative stuff with the WTA, along with it). I get it. :lol:

Raiden
Jul 1st, 2012, 02:50 PM
That Telegraph article is utter crap - and not because the writer said the match was not competitive (that's OK and expected of a critic, let him say that) it's more because he is blaming Petra AND her father for it.

Completely baseless, shoddy journalism.

bruce goose
Jul 1st, 2012, 04:36 PM
Petra is a great girl and she herself admitted she would have no problems if male tennis players earned more - the competition is tougher and the matches are longer.Petronius,normally I wouldn't argue a post like this b/c the issue is almost totally subjective and not empirically provable...but you are a thoughtful fellow so I decided to give you my input.

In re the competition supposedly being tougher,I say this w/o ANY malice towards you...but I think that's a joke.Excepting one great run by JMDP at the USO,THREE GUYS!!! have won all the Slams for the last EIGHT YEARS!!!!!Aside from the Triumvirate,ATP 'guys' are just about the weakest bunch of pussies I've seen from quasi-'male' athletes.I'd even call European futbol-lers--with all their flopping,whining,and limp-wristed,girlish slapfights--tougher than ATPers.You probably don't watch the NFL,so I'll inform you that even the suckiest teams such as Cleveland "man up" every once in a while and defeat the elites such as the Patriots or Steelers.Besides JMDP,NO ONE seems capable of manning up at Slams in the ATP;the director should hide his face in shame over what a bunch of gutless,swishy punks he has

As for the length of the matches,duration DEFINITELY doesn't equal quality...exhibit #1 being the marathon Horrific Shit-fest of crappy,putrid,one-dimensional tennis known as Isner-Mahut.The only upside to that travesty was that inbred puke Isner was exhausted and sent home quickly after his following match.

In addition...and I say this w/o an ounce of ill will towards the Triumvirate...but they don't even come CLOSE to successfully marketing the sport to non-fans as well as the WS,Sharapova...and even cheesecake eye candy like Kournikova and Slut-vanovic have done.

Lastly...and this is just my opinion,of course...tennis is one of those sports where the elegance of the female players adds a great extra element of beauty that doesn't,or RARELY,exists with the males.In general--basketball,ice hockey,boxing and a few others--are far more watchable when the men are competing...and then there are sports such as volleyball that are sort of in-between.The guys show greater power and athleticism,yet the aesthetic appeal of women's volleyball,well...you don't need an esplanation,do you;)?Tennis is on the other side of the spectrum with gymnastics and figure skating: I suppose you MIGHT watch men's gymnastics if someone in your family,or from your hometown,were competing but,otherwise,let's be serious:lol:.Unless it's Novak,Rafa or Fed on court,the ATP is like watching an all-male ballet...it just feels as though something lovely is missing.

As I said above,I'm not trying to talk down to you at all,Petronius:hatoff:...just wanted to share a different perspective...I'm done for today;seeya later:wavey:

Excelscior
Jul 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
Another good, informative Martina/Petra article (this one actually took place after her first Wimby match this week).

Interestingly enough (among-st other tidbits), they actually mentioned Petra's height as 6'1" (1.85 M), as many of us have speculated.

Navratilova Sees Herself in Wimbledon Winner Petra Kvitova

By Danielle Rossingh on June 26, 2012

Martina Navratilova looks at Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova and she sees a little bit of herself. That’s not bad when the observer has won the grass- court Grand Slam tournament in London a record nine times.

Navratilova, the most successful player since tennis turned professional in 1968 with 59 Grand Slam titles, has counseled Kvitova since she first saw her play at the French Open a few years ago. Although 34 years apart in age, both are left-handed, play attacking tennis, are Czech-born and won their first Wimbledon title at the age of 21.

“I saw her here and I thought, ‘God, if this girl gets it together, there’s going to be trouble,”’ Navratilova, 55, said in an interview in Paris this month.

Watched by her parents from the royal box, Kvitova started the defense of her title on Centre Court today with a 6-4, 6-4 win against Akgul Amanmuradova of Uzbekistan.

Navratilova and Kvitova have kept in touch since that first meeting in Paris. Navratilova, an 18-time Grand Slam singles champion who was born in Prague and became a U.S. citizen in 1981, watched from the royal box last year when Kvitova beat former champion Maria Sharapova of Russia in straight sets for her first Wimbledon title.

Quiet Court
In February, Navratilova took Kvitova on a tour of the All England Club, including a visit to the museum and a look at Centre Court in winter.

“We had fun, talked, walking round,” Navratilova said in the interview at the French Open. “It’s always great to be on Centre Court when there’s nobody there.”

Navratilova also showed Kvitova the roll of honor in the club house that lists her record nine Wimbledon singles titles, won between 1978 and 1990. Kvitova was only a few months old when the last of those championships was won, and her father, Jiri, made her watch recordings of Navratilova’s matches as she was growing up.

Kvitova, who stands 6-foot-1 (1.85 meters), has a game built on a strong serve and flat ground strokes. Navratilova said Kvitova has the tools to win as many titles as she did on the fast grass surface of the All England Club.

‘More Physical’
“She got started the same time I did, with the first one, and you never know,” Navratilova said. “These days it’s hard to stay healthy long enough because the game is so much more physical, but the way she plays, if anybody could do it, it could be her because she plays such a powerful game, points are short, she doesn’t really have to exert herself that much.”

Kvitova said she wasn’t so sure.

“I have a really long way to go,” she said in an interview at the Rome Masters last month.

The 22-year-old followed her Wimbledon success by winning the season-ending WTA Championships in Istanbul last year. She said Navratilova’s advice before the Wimbledon final helped calm her nerves.

“She told me not to think that it’s the Wimbledon final, but that it’s a normal match, and that I can do it,” Kvitova said. “When I came on court, it was a normal match and I was really lucky that I felt it like a first round.”

The Czech newspaper Mlada Fronta Dnes carried the headline, “Wimbledon Witnessed the Birth of a Star,” while another publication, Pravo, proclaimed, “Modest Champion Petra Kvitova Enchanted Wimbledon.”

Auto Upgrade
Kvitova, the No. 4 seed at Wimbledon this year, no longer drives a Skoda, but a BMW 320. Although she said she enjoys driving a faster car, getting recognized took some getting used to.

“It was something new for me, a new experience,” Kvitova said. “I don’t want to say it was hard but it was not very easy to get used to being famous in the Czech Republic. Everybody stared at me in the supermarket and on the street.”

Navratilova, who defected to the U.S. from communist Czechoslovakia in 1975, credits the Czech system with producing champions such as herself, eight-time major winner Ivan Lendl, 2010 Wimbledon runner-up Tomas Berdych and Kvitova.

“The club system there produces really good players, without trying to,” Navratilova said. “You go to the club and hang out. You play other sports and kids are running around kicking a soccer ball. They become better athletes, much better all-round athletes, and they’re active and they’re healthy and they’re doing it for fun. I was there all day long. Just playing sets, doubles, singles, whatever I could do.”

Major Semifinals
Kvitova made the semifinals at the Australian Open and French Open this year, losing both times to Sharapova. Her preparation for Wimbledon was cut short when she lost in the opening round of Eastbourne last week to Ekatarina Makarova, a Russian ranked 48th on the women’s tour.

Although Kvitova has no major flaws in her game, there is still scope for improvement.

“She’s a big woman, but use that to your advantage and make it as little a disadvantage as possible,” Navratilova said. “I think she just needs to get a little lighter on her feet. Petra doesn’t need to re-tool but she can definitely improve. She’s 22 years old. I was clueless at that age, so she’s way ahead of me on that one.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Danielle Rossingh at Wimbledon through the London sports desk at drossingh@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Chris Elser at celser@bloomberg.net

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-25/navratilova-sees-herself-in-defending-wimbledon-champion-kvitova

Some interesting insights, observations and quotes in this article by both women, I must say.

But I'll leave Petra alone at the moment. Lol

Petronius
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:07 PM
Nice article, but there's lot of stuff we've already read here. What is interesting though is that it was published in Business Week.

Excelscior
Jul 1st, 2012, 08:11 PM
Nice article, but there's lot of stuff we've already read here. What is interesting though is that it was published in Business Week.

That's what I thought, was trying to avoid Petronius. Cause I had read most of those type articles last year (before they were republished and re-posted again this year for Wimby). :lol: Should I take it down?

I put it up for a few interesting tidbits, I thought interesting (even though I may already knew or had speculated). :lol: But not everybody does.

Though I've seen Petra articles republished in Businessweek. This article actually appears to be published by Bloomberg Business News Services, by one of their reporters.

Petronius
Jul 2nd, 2012, 09:19 AM
Petronius,normally I wouldn't argue a post like this b/c the issue is almost totally subjective and not empirically provable...but you are a thoughtful fellow so I decided to give you my input.

In re the competition supposedly being tougher,I say this w/o ANY malice towards you...but I think that's a joke.Excepting one great run by JMDP at the USO,THREE GUYS!!! have won all the Slams for the last EIGHT YEARS!!!!!Aside from the Triumvirate,ATP 'guys' are just about the weakest bunch of pussies I've seen from quasi-'male' athletes.I'd even call European futbol-lers--with all their flopping,whining,and limp-wristed,girlish slapfights--tougher than ATPers.You probably don't watch the NFL,so I'll inform you that even the suckiest teams such as Cleveland "man up" every once in a while and defeat the elites such as the Patriots or Steelers.Besides JMDP,NO ONE seems capable of manning up at Slams in the ATP;the director should hide his face in shame over what a bunch of gutless,swishy punks he has

As for the length of the matches,duration DEFINITELY doesn't equal quality...exhibit #1 being the marathon Horrific Shit-fest of crappy,putrid,one-dimensional tennis known as Isner-Mahut.The only upside to that travesty was that inbred puke Isner was exhausted and sent home quickly after his following match.

In addition...and I say this w/o an ounce of ill will towards the Triumvirate...but they don't even come CLOSE to successfully marketing the sport to non-fans as well as the WS,Sharapova...and even cheesecake eye candy like Kournikova and Slut-vanovic have done.

Lastly...and this is just my opinion,of course...tennis is one of those sports where the elegance of the female players adds a great extra element of beauty that doesn't,or RARELY,exists with the males.In general--basketball,ice hockey,boxing and a few others--are far more watchable when the men are competing...and then there are sports such as volleyball that are sort of in-between.The guys show greater power and athleticism,yet the aesthetic appeal of women's volleyball,well...you don't need an esplanation,do you;)?Tennis is on the other side of the spectrum with gymnastics and figure skating: I suppose you MIGHT watch men's gymnastics if someone in your family,or from your hometown,were competing but,otherwise,let's be serious:lol:.Unless it's Novak,Rafa or Fed on court,the ATP is like watching an all-male ballet...it just feels as though something lovely is missing.

As I said above,I'm not trying to talk down to you at all,Petronius:hatoff:...just wanted to share a different perspective...I'm done for today;seeya later:wavey:

You make a lot of good points. I was only quoting what Petra said in an interview after she won Wimbledon in 2011.

pov
Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:43 PM
Big difficult. (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=463188) A post match article.

Excelscior
Jul 4th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Excellent article POV (I read it in GM).

The one thing I'll say about this though is, "what if Azarenka beats Serena?". How will Petra feel then?

Will she think about the missed opportunities, and the more subtle things like slices (that even Chris Evert noticed early, that Petra wasn't doing), volleys, drop shots, re-directing, etc., that could of threw Serena off balance? What could you have done better Petra?

TennisAddict84
Jul 4th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Big difficult. (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=463188) A post match article.

Thanks pov. Great article. That's exactly how I saw the match.

steni
Jul 10th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I read somewhere that Petra is gonna play an exhibition match against Sharapova in Prague.
Someone has more details about it, please?

Raiden
Jul 10th, 2012, 12:29 PM
^ I have just one detail: it will be on October 29.

steni
Jul 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM
^ I have just one detail: it will be on October 29.

Thanks

Petronius
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I started a GM thread on the exho, with a bit more info. Check it out, if you wish.

steni
Jul 10th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I started a GM thread on the exho, with a bit more info. Check it out, if you wish.

Alright thanks!

paulmara
Jul 11th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Andrea Hlavackova interviewed Petra Kvitova for Tennis Arena. (in Czech)

http://www.tenisportal.cz/zpravy/hlavackova-zpovida-kvitovou-mam-slabost-pro-nausnice-10475/

„Without my talisman, small bear, I´m not going to the tennis courts. I have it in my bag for 3 years."

bruce goose
Jul 11th, 2012, 09:59 AM
On occasion,Prosto gets jealous of Petra's various Wild Kingdom knick-knacks like the small bear mentioned above;Prosto believes that HE should be the undisputed,#1 animal in Petra's camp.Once,he hid underneath Petra's rackets,before she went on court,while she was using an extra-large duffel bag.Petra thought that the bag felt a bit heavy,but she was so focused on the match that she dismissed it.

Later,during a long rally,Prosto couldn't stand the heat inside the bag anymore,so he ventured out and began sniffing around the chair umpire's tower.The ump was a bit too presumptuous about his animal-handling skills,so he didn't stop and ask Petra for help in fixing this problem as he SHOULD have done.When he tried to pick him up and carry him away,Prosto bit him where:eek:.....well,let's just say the ump is lucky that he and his wife already have three children,cuz his 'equipment' no longer functions normally:p

paulmara
Jul 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM
On occasion,Prosto gets jealous of Petra's various Wild Kingdom knick-knacks like the small bear mentioned above;

I was little confused who is Prosto. For a few seconds. There are many sport talismans. Mr. P. is very popular everywhere.

http://oidnes.cz/12/071/org/TEN446495_210102_cku_120706_102.jpg

bruce goose
Jul 11th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I was little confused who is Prosto. For a few seconds. There are many sport talismans. Mr. P. is very popular everywhere.

http://oidnes.cz/12/071/org/TEN446495_210102_cku_120706_102.jpgObviously,I congratulate Mr.P for being nestled between female volleyballers,but Prosto is someone else who's found right in your avy,so named for the C.R. town Prostejov that Petra is so familiar with....Please forgive me,Czechs,if the spelling is wrong:angel:

paulmara
Jul 12th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I congratulate Mr.P

I started working on a concept of „The true story of the night before Serena-Petra match or : How the world was saved.“ Are you interested? I can hide it somewhere.

bruce goose
Jul 12th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I started working on a concept of „The true story of the night before Serena-Petra match or : How the world was saved.“ Are you interested? I can hide it somewhere.Absolutely and,as long as it's not too graphic;););),you could send it to Petra in her native tongue so that she'd see what creative thought her fans devoted towards her career:cool:

paulmara
Jul 13th, 2012, 08:47 AM
as long as it's not too graphic;););)

standard 60-100 photos from a Sigmund Freud's patient

bruce goose
Jul 13th, 2012, 03:09 PM
15 years from now:

Petra: It should be a lovely picnic today:);I hope your mom enjoys all the food we prepared
Adam(4-time Wimby champ and Czech hero) :Indeed,my love:hearts:,she is grateful for everything you've done for her since her onset of rheumatism...and our sweet Pavel is four years old now and can appreciate such a family event better:)
Pavel(from the other room) :WAAAAAAAAA!:hysteric:
Petra'n'Adam::eek:(quickly going into the den)
Adam: What's wrong,my son:confused::confused:
Pavel(almost incoherent between sobs) :Uncle Paul showed me:sad:....Uncle Paul showed me:sad:....
Petra: :(Paul!Did you scare him with another of your enormous,zip-code-sized photos again?I'm gonna break one of your ribs if you did that again:mad:!
Paulmara: :o:unsure:

paulmara
Jul 13th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Paul!Did you scare him with another of your enormous,zip-code-sized photos again?

I admit that once I posted a slightly bigger photo from Petra´s training camp in Slovakia.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/17/c5/30/view-of-strbske-pleso.jpg

bruce goose
Jul 13th, 2012, 05:56 PM
I admit that once I posted a slightly bigger photo from Petra´s training camp in Slovakia.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/17/c5/30/view-of-strbske-pleso.jpgYeah,I think that I can recall that one...it's much lovelier to behold when it's scaled correctly:lol:.

...But your use of the word 'once' is a bit dishonest in re your gigantic photos;it's sort of like when an alcoholic claims that he only gets drunk 'once in a while':p.Petra is founding a pediatric clinic for Czech kids with nightmarish sleep disorders that were caused by your Dinosaur-sized Pics:lol:

Petronius
Jul 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Great in-depth article starting with a reference to Petra's 2011 Wimbledon victory and then comparing the Czech tennis system with the Swedish, Australian and American systems.

One of the best foreign articles I've read on the topic.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/img/4.0/global/swapper/201206/120620.01.pdf

bruce goose
Jul 14th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Great in-depth article starting with a reference to Petra's 2011 Wimbledon victory and then comparing the Czech tennis system with the Swedish, Australian and American systems.

One of the best foreign articles I've read on the topic.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/img/4.0/global/swapper/201206/120620.01.pdfAnd,in your opinion,how would those systems rank,top-to-bottom?

Petronius
Jul 14th, 2012, 06:55 PM
And,in your opinion,how would those systems rank,top-to-bottom?

My knowledge is too limited to make an expert comparison, but it's interesting that e.g. Sweden has produced three great male players - Borg, Edberg and Wilander (24 singles slams in total) - but not any champion on the WTA side.

And the decline in Australia's tennis is also remarkable. Stosur's last year US Open title was the first slam for an Aussie woman since 1973!

It will be also interesting whether tennis picks up in huge countries like China and India and whether they'll be able produce top players.

ArcticMoose
Jul 14th, 2012, 07:04 PM
On occasion,Prosto gets jealous of Petra's various Wild Kingdom knick-knacks like the small bear mentioned above;Prosto believes that HE should be the undisputed,#1 animal in Petra's camp.Once,he hid underneath Petra's rackets,before she went on court,while she was using an extra-large duffel bag.Petra thought that the bag felt a bit heavy,but she was so focused on the match that she dismissed it.

Later,during a long rally,Prosto couldn't stand the heat inside the bag anymore,so he ventured out and began sniffing around the chair umpire's tower.The ump was a bit too presumptuous about his animal-handling skills,so he didn't stop and ask Petra for help in fixing this problem as he SHOULD have done.When he tried to pick him up and carry him away,Prosto bit him where:eek:.....well,let's just say the ump is lucky that he and his wife already have three children,cuz his 'equipment' no longer functions normally:p
:)Prosto is 'blue eyed':tape: just like our Petra:angel:
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/61548000/jpg/_61548058_c0046069-sclater_s_black_lemur-spl.jpg
{:hysteric:The blue-eyed black lemur is thought to be the only primate with blue eyes - except humans:p}

I started working on a concept of „The true story of the night before Serena-Petra match or : How the world was saved.“ Are you interested? I can hide it somewhere.

:lol:Yes ! We are! We eagerly await chapter & verse of your write up...:D

Embittered
Jul 14th, 2012, 07:45 PM
My knowledge is too limited to make an expert comparison, but it's interesting that e.g. Sweden has produced three great male players - Borg, Edberg and Wilander (24 singles slams in total) - but not any champion on the WTA side.

And the decline in Australia's tennis is also remarkable. Stosur's last year US Open title was the first slam for an Aussie woman since 1973!

It will be also interesting whether tennis picks up in huge countries like China and India and whether they'll be able produce top players.
:confused: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/roll_of_honour/ladies-singles.html

Petronius
Jul 14th, 2012, 09:08 PM
:confused: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/roll_of_honour/ladies-singles.html

Thanks! I was too lazy to confirm my source (they got it wrong). So it should be "since 1977". I didn't know about this great player Evonne Goolagong Cawley.:yeah:
Still, the 1980-2010 is a very weak period for Aussie female tennis.

ArcticMoose
Jul 14th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Andrea Hlavackova interviewed Petra Kvitova for Tennis Arena. (in Czech)

http://www.tenisportal.cz/zpravy/hlavackova-zpovida-kvitovou-mam-slabost-pro-nausnice-10475/

„Without my talisman, small bear, I´m not going to the tennis courts. I have it in my bag for 3 years."

Competition! Competition! Competition!

:bounce:Yep! for the 1st Pics posted to the Picture thread of the “Mysterious talisman small bear’’ that resides in Petra’s Bag – I believe we have missed this intriguing golden nugget since Petra’s meteoric rise to the higher echelons of the WTA tour!

:D So Kudos & Positive reps to the 1st Successful Entry! :worship:Submitted to this sub-forum!

:hatoff:Rules: The pic has to be a genuine reflection of Petra’s Talisman bear (it’s got to be Petra’s:angel: tennis bag for starters) – :ofake entries like a lemur disguised as a bear hiding in a tennis bag :p or hypothetically :)an attempt from the likes of say ‘TA84’ to send in a pic of a random tennis bag with a small bear in it snapped at any downtown mall:p will not cut-it!:D

Good Luck!

bruce goose
Jul 15th, 2012, 04:27 AM
:)Prosto is 'blue eyed':tape: just like our Petra:angel:
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/61548000/jpg/_61548058_c0046069-sclater_s_black_lemur-spl.jpg
{:hysteric:The blue-eyed black lemur is thought to be the only primate with blue eyes - except humans:p}Petra's pet,even when calm,has the look of a creature that is currently being shocked with electrodes attached to its anus...glad to see that we both appreciate the eye-color connection between Prosto and Petra:hearts::angel:

steni
Aug 1st, 2012, 12:16 AM
10 questions with Petra Kvitova
By: Nicholas McCarvel, NBCOlympics.comUpdated: Jul 31, 7:51p ET

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/tennis/10-questions-with-petra-kvitova.html

Raiden
Aug 1st, 2012, 08:53 AM
^ What's the obsession with Michael Phelps? Why'd she want to meet him above all others?

I mean the other day it was Lisicki and/or others I forgot, who was all going gaga about that guy.

It's rather mystifying. I mean OK he's won golds in ancient past but as of right now his ass getting whooped left and right (he's not even likely to win one individual gold medal if I'm not mistaken). And on top of that, personality-wise he's not exactly a darling, is he (the only time he is in the headlines outside of the Olympics is when he is causing trouble by getting high or getting drunk).

And last but not least, I'm a hetero guy but I think he's ugly as hell, right?

steni
Aug 1st, 2012, 12:47 PM
^ What's the obsession with Michael Phelps? Why'd she want to meet him above all others?

I mean the other day it was Lisicki and/or others I forgot, who was all going gaga about that guy.

It's rather mystifying. I mean OK he's won golds in ancient past but as of right now his ass getting whooped left and right (he's not even likely to win one individual gold medal if I'm not mistaken). And on top of that, personality-wise he's not exactly a darling, is he (the only time he is in the headlines outside of the Olympics is when he is causing trouble by getting high or getting drunk).

And last but not least, I'm a hetero guy but I think he's ugly as hell, right?

Yes he isn't cute but the guy has something(19 medals):lol:

steni
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:39 PM
http://www.newhavenopen.com/news/2011_wimbledon_champion_petra_kvitova_granted_wild card/

Corswandt
Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:29 AM
http://www.newhavenopen.com/news/2011_wimbledon_champion_petra_kvitova_granted_wild card/

Seems like her team isn't delusional and is aware that Ludmila needs to hog like crazy to have any chance of making the YEC.

Petronius
Aug 10th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Montreal: Kvitova d. Bartoli 08/10/2012 - 1:51 PM

It’s been a mixed year for Petra Kvitova. She’s the only WTA player to have made it to the quarterfinals or better in all three Grand Slam tournaments, which is more than respectable, but she hadn’t beaten a Top 10 player in five attempts this year. Until today, that is, when she demolished Marion Bartoli 6-1, 6-1 in 61 minutes to move into the quarterfinals at the Rogers Cup.

American – or Canadian – hard courts have traditionally been Kvitova’s worst surface: An asthmatic, she has struggled with the conditions and posted some fairly dismal results in the past few years during the spring and summer hard-court swings. That won’t always be the case, however, as she demonstrated today with a devastating display of her crushing power tennis in heavy and humid conditions.

Bartoli, currently ranked No. 10, had won both previous meetings with Kvitova, but was in trouble right from the start as Kvitova was quick to step inside the court and crunch a shorter ball for a winner, as well as playing two drop shots, the second for a winner which earned her an immediate break for 1-0. Racing to a 3-0 lead after a booming cross-court forehand, then a running forehand down the line pass, Kvitova was serving well and hitting with such relentless pace and accuracy that she dictated almost every point, able to stand and hit in the center of the court while Bartoli chased balls frantically from side to side. Bartoli’s defense is much better than it is often credited to be, but by the time she double-faulted the 6-1 first set away, she had failed to hit a single winner and such a situation is profoundly uncomfortable for the aggressive Frenchwoman.

Much of the credit for that must go to Kvitova’s returning, which was sublime today and gave Bartoli no time whatsoever to do much of anything but desperately fend the ball away from her shoelaces, winning only 50 percent of points behind her first serve and 29 percent behind her second. Whenever Bartoli did get an opportunity to get into Kvitova’s service games – the Czech was down 0-40 in the first game of the second set, then 0-30 on her next service game – Kvitova produced short but devastating runs of consecutive unplayable serves to hold. Five double faults didn’t help Bartoli’s case, especially when she served two in one game – the second on break point – to surrender her serve early in the second set.

Bartoli, who missed the Olympics but played Stanford and Carlsbad, should have looked dialled in on this surface; instead she appeared slightly jaded and fatigued, but the final count of 3 winners for Bartoli to 25 for Kvitova is eloquent where the pattern of play is concerned. When Kvitova is hitting winners from everywhere, and making only 11 unforced errors, it takes either something truly special from her opponent or one of those implosions for which she is justly known to stop her. Neither was forthcoming today.

—Hannah Wilks

steni
Aug 11th, 2012, 12:02 AM
http://www.rogerscup.com/women/english/interviews.php

steni
Aug 11th, 2012, 03:06 AM
http://www.rogerscup.com/women/english/orderOfPlay8.php

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Chat with Petra Kvitova

SportsNation

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/photo/2012/0702/ten_a_kvitovap_203.jpg
Kvitova won her first title of the year Monday by downing Li Na in three sets at the Rogers Cup.
Welcome to SportsNation! On Tuesday, 2011 Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova stops by to chat as she prepares for this week's Western & Southern Open (http://www.cincytennis.com/) in Cincinnati, the next stop in the U.S. Open Series.
As the only WTA Tour player to reach the quarterfinals or better at the first three Grand Slams this year, Kvitova is currently the No. 6-ranked player in the world. Of her seven career WTA singles titles, six were won during Kvitova's breakthrough 2011 season.
Kvitova reached the quarterfinals at the London Olympic Games and she has been a key part of helping the Czech Republic advance to the Fed Cup Final that takes place in November in Prague.

Send your questions now and join Kvitova Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. ET!

More Special Guests:

Petra Kvitova (1:30 PM)

Hello everyone!

Chris Fiegler (Latham,NY)

Who is the Hardest Tennis Player that you have Faced?
Petra Kvitova (1:31 PM)

Serena, because when I played her at Wimbledon, she was amazing.

Abigail (St. Pete, FL)

I read somewhere that you were reading books to help you learn English. What books have you read recently? And what book are you reading now?
Petra Kvitova (1:31 PM)

I have some books to help with my English, and they definitely help. I'm reading "The Secret Garden" right now.

Wasim Mohamed (Dubai)

How was the overall experience at the Olympics ?
Petra Kvitova (1:32 PM)

It was a great experience for me to play in the Olympics and to be part of the Czech Republic.

Arrin Villareal (Philippines)

Who is your tennis idol?
Petra Kvitova (1:33 PM)

When I was growing up, it was Martina Navratilova, because she's from my country and was amazing. Now, I don't have any particular idols.

Charlotte (Marseille , France)

What is your favorite destination for holidays?
Petra Kvitova (1:33 PM)

I don't get the chance to go on many holidays, but for my next one, I'd like to go someplace warm!

Don (Lindenhurst, IL)

Did you grow up playing any other sport besides tennis?
Petra Kvitova (1:34 PM)

I played volleyball and basketball as a child. My father was the coach of our volleyball team, so I played a lot of it.

Ricky T Michael (via Facebook)

What is your goal for the rest of the season?
Petra Kvitova (1:35 PM)

I don't have any specific goals beyond staying healthy and improving my game. I will be very happy if I keep playing well!

Enri Mihali (Tirana,Albania)

Im a big fan of yours and I wish you win all the tournaments you take part :) How is it that you have such a good return ? Its amazingg
Petra Kvitova (1:36 PM)

Thank you! I try to improve where I have weaknesses. My coach has me work on exercises specifically for my return.

Jeffrey (France)

What is the little thing that you miss when you're not at home ?
Petra Kvitova (1:36 PM)

My family, my friends, and my boyfriend!

Charlotte (Marseille , France)

Congratulations Petra for your title in Montreal. Very good before the U.S. Open ! you have had good results on grass , hard and clay . What surface will you feel the best?
Petra Kvitova (1:37 PM)

I think that it's grass. My game translates very well on that, but I also like playing on the hardcourt.

Ace (Alabama)

Congratulations on winning the Rogers Cup yesterday. What adjustments did you make in your match against Na Li in the final set ?
Petra Kvitova (1:38 PM)

She played very aggressively, and I knew that I had to attack the ball more in order to counter that. I had to match her aggressiveness.

Tommy (Madison, WI)

How much do you study your opponents' game before you play them??
Petra Kvitova (1:39 PM)

Not that much. My coach knows the strengths and weaknesses of different players, and I'll get that information before the match itself.

Petra Kvitova (1:39 PM)

Thank you for all your support!

http://a2.espncdn.com/prod/assets/logo_espn_conversation_small.png

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks Moose.

I asked a question, but it didn't get answered.

I guess it was too technical. Lol

TennisAddict84
Aug 15th, 2012, 11:07 PM
fyi in case anyone who hasn't seen these yet:

http://assets.usta.com/assets/663/15/P._Kvitova_-_08.14.12.pdf

http://assets.usta.com/assets/663/15/P._Kvitova_-_08.15.12.pdf

Petronius
Aug 15th, 2012, 11:40 PM

Pleasantly surprised by the length and quality of this interview.

Thanks for posting :yeah:

TennisAddict84
Aug 15th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Pleasantly surprised by the length and quality of this interview.

Thanks for posting :yeah:

No problem :)

Yeah, I was expecting the standard, run of the mill questions.

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:21 AM

Thank You very much for this Tennis Addict (as Petronius).

I just read the first one (which is a full length interview from some of the abbreviated ones I read).

Now I'm on to the second one. But I just wanted to thank you, in case I forgot or got busy. :yeah:

TennisAddict84
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:27 AM

I just read the first one (which is a full length interview from some of the abbreviated ones I read).

Now I'm on to the second one. But I just wanted to thank you, in case I forgot or got busy. :yeah:

you're very welcome! :)

these interviews def shed light on where Petra sees her game ATM ahead of USO

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Mmmhhh.

Petra still not talking to Martina too much (outside of catching her at tournaments and pre-arranged venues-like the CNN video), I see? SMH

Plus, the humidity in Cincinatti, is actually less than what it was in Montreal. So Petra needs to get that out of her head, unless it's the pollen, pollution and hayfever she feels.

Of course it was hot today. So maybe the combination of the heat and 60% humidity (which is not really that bad at this time of year) made her feel that way?

The humidity was about 65, and raining in Montreal.

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 17th, 2012, 06:10 AM

Ditto from me too TA84! Thanks a million.

I love Petra's direct and honest answers compared to the usual cliché machine crap you get from many others. Her sweet and thoughtful personality really shines through.

By the way gang, today in the Czech Republic it's PETRA's nameday (or as the Czechs call it, her SVATEK). The local tradition assigns one name per calendar day and today is PETRA day. So, go to her Facebook page and wish her a beautiful, victorious nameday!

:worship: Happy nameday Petra!!! :worship:

vendulkabendulka
Aug 17th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Všechno nejlepší k svátku! :)

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 17th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Všechno nejlepší k svátku! :)

Now that's the real way to say it!!!! :lol:

For those even more monolingual than I, it means "all the best on your nameday". I think.... LOL

TennisAddict84
Aug 22nd, 2012, 03:45 AM
nice little article about Petra :)

http://www.newhavenopen.com/news/petra_kvitova_no_laughing_matter

mac47
Aug 22nd, 2012, 04:06 AM
I liked that article's concluding paragraph about Kotyza. I have never agreed with those who call for him to be replaced. Supplemented, maybe, but it is clear that he is very dear to Petra and that having a second father, as it were, keeps her grounded and happy with her tennis career.

steni
Aug 22nd, 2012, 04:32 AM
nice little article about Petra :)

http://www.newhavenopen.com/news/petra_kvitova_no_laughing_matter

Aww thanks for sharing!

Excelscior
Aug 22nd, 2012, 04:35 AM
I liked that article's concluding paragraph about Kotyza. I have never agreed with those who call for him to be replaced. Supplemented, maybe, but it is clear that he is very dear to Petra and that having a second father, as it were, keeps her grounded and happy with her tennis career.

Nadal is very grounded to. But that didn't stop him and Uncle Tony being prepared for, and wanting to win every major in sight. :devil:

I had read the article previously. And yes it's nice.

Thanks Tennisaddict84.

What's up Mac and Steni!