PDA

View Full Version : Who will history remember, and who should it remember? Jennifer or Lindsay

disposablehero
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:07 AM
IF we make the assumption that they both accomplish a relatively equal amount from today forward, or they both retire tomorrow.

Which of them WILL the history books talk about 20 years from now, and which of them SHOULD the books concentrate on.

"Both" is not an acceptable answer. You have to decide who will get the credit and who deserves it.

Venus Forever
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:10 AM
They will look at Jen's Accomplishments more, although I think Lindsay is the better player between the two and should be remembered more.

WtaTour4Ever
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:12 AM
hmmm Good Question!!!

I'm def not a fan of Capriati, but I think that she is the one who will be remembered, as it should be.

I don't think that Lindsay has really done much that would be remembered for. Not to take any credit away from her, but in general she has shyed/(sp?) from the lime light, and I don't think that she broke any records. I could be mistaken, thats just my humble opinion.

Freefall
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:14 AM
They will remember both, like all GS winners :p

"Topaz"
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:18 AM
Yet another poll! :rolleyes:

disposablehero
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:19 AM
The "rolleyes thread" is in Non-Tennis.

Darkheart
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:21 AM
Lindsay deserves it. She won 3 different slams and Jen only 2 different ones. Plus Lindsay has a lot more big titles.

But...

The tennis community loves Jen more because of the Cinderella story and she is more of a "public person". Thus she will be remembered more than Lindsay.

So what I'm saying is Lindsay deserves it but Jen will get it.

Gallofa
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:37 AM
That's very tricky wording.

I voted for Jennifer, but it should be Lindsay. I think if they retired tomorrow, Jen has a great story and two good years, whilst Lindsay has a solid tennis career, so while I think at this point Lindsay should be higher than Jennifer in the standings, I guess Jennifer's non-strictly tennis merits will probably place her above Lindsay in 20 years time. Let's face it, they didn't talk all that much about Lindsay when she was No.1 and winning GS, so it could be that they won't be talking much about her in the future either, when I think she does deserve it.

Dawn Marie
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Monica!

disposablehero
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Dawn, I was evaluating a lower tier than Monica, although I fear Jennifer may recieve a similar amount of historical consideration as Monica.

treufreund
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Jennuhfuh. Not fairly but look at how martina Hingis's five grand slams are already being dismissed by some as "not counting". Even though she won them very young which is already amazing.

Lindsay has way more titles and is way more accomplished in doubles also and had more weeks at #1. She leads Jenn head to head also but Jennifer is more popular with the press.

Dawn Marie
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:30 AM
ok, then Jennifer and I disagree. I think Monica will receive more rememberance then Jen. I see Monica commentating with Mary Jo and even being a Fed Cup captain one day.

irma
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Lindsay!

Guay
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:40 AM
if you has good memory and if you are a fair person you will remember both.

"Both" is an acceptable answer to me;)

disposablehero
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Yes, Guay, but this board does not contain the typical tennis fan. We are among the most dedicated, knowledgable tennis fans there are. But most tennis fans have their perceptions much more influenced by the media.

vs1
Nov 5th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Sad to say, but it's going to be Jennifer. I am a Lindsay fan, but even in this comparison, I have to swollow my pride and bitterly admit that people are going to remember Jenn. It's that "she was a fallen prodigy who came back" story that they are going to commemorate over and over. In Monica's case, that was a truly amazing comeback. She was forced out of the game. Jenn burnt out and was out of the game by her own doing. So in terms of tennis comebacks, I think that Monica holds the prize. But somehow, the media loves Jenn. She can do no wrong. I don't get it! So sadly, they are going to push her ahead of the other "greats" who deserve to be recognised ahead of her. The media has always been neutral to Lindsay. I guess she isn't an exciting enough personality for them. But she is such a better athlete...she's mature and has a brain! Shouldn't that count for more than a so-called "cinderella story?!"

irma
Nov 5th, 2002, 06:02 AM
it's ridicilous to even compare monica's situation with cappy's! anybody with a little sense and brain should see the differences!

Hardiansf
Nov 5th, 2002, 06:35 AM
I think its Jen, cause she had a 'story' of her career... pfffffff!

Crazy Canuck
Nov 5th, 2002, 06:39 AM
The fairytale story wins out.

Even though overall, Lindsay has won more titles, more weeks at number one, finished the year number one twice, is the most accomplished doubles player, etc etc.

It doesn't matter.

Fairytale wins out.

irma
Nov 5th, 2002, 06:49 AM
lindsay's fairytail is much nicer! a little like the little ugly duck who became a swan (I mean this is tennisterms, according to her nobody took her serious as a kid and still she became a winner in the end)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:12 AM
irma - though I dont' disagree that Lindsay has a nice story too -

Nothing (unless you are named Williams) compares to the hollywood-esque Capriati tale.

Young, Americas new sweet heart, grandslam bound, the next Chris Evert, blah blah blah BAM! American's sweetheart becomes Americas favourite juvenile deliquent. Jenn dissapears in to oblivion, to be remembered only by the "Jennifer Capriati" age restriction rules ;) Well someone didn't quite like that story. America's favourite burnout victim, becomes America's sweet heart again - 3 slams, number on ranking - history.

Regardless of what a sweet, compasionate person that Lindsay comes across as being; regardless of the fact she has more accomplishments - it won't matter.

Because watching Jenn battle her personal demons made for a more interesting show than watching the nice girl win.

irma
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:17 AM
cappy is like the lost son from Jesus' story in the bible!

Crazy Canuck
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:18 AM
LOL

If you say so Irma :D

tennisIlove09
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:21 AM
They will both be remember, but for very different reasons.

I think Jennifer will be remembered for her STORY. The amazing comeback she had last year. That's how she will be remembered.

Lindsay will be remembered for her CAREER. She has done a lot more then Jennifer [despite the fact that they have the same # of slams]. Lindsay was #1 longer, has more singles titles, has better H2H against the top players [Venus, Hingis..the exception being Serena].

Maajken
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Jennifer but it really should be Lindsay damnit! ;)

per4ever
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:31 AM
I agree with Maeike :eek:

BasicTennis
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:33 AM
As grandslammers and former number ones, they're already a part of tennis history whether you like it or not.:rolleyes:

Maajken
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Miracles do happen K :p;)

per4ever
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:34 AM
yeah I guess so :o

gentenaire
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:35 AM
voted for 3 as well

Lindsayfan
Nov 5th, 2002, 09:56 AM
both-Jennifer for her story,Lindsay for her tennis.

Nov 5th, 2002, 09:57 AM
What really sucks is that Anna K will probably be remembered more than both of them!

anabel
Nov 5th, 2002, 10:13 AM
I think Jennifer...

Although Lindsay's career is way better... her personal life have not been as interesting and commentated as Jennifer's.

Nov 5th, 2002, 10:14 AM
*waits for TeeRex to make a smart-arsed comment about Jennifer*

Caoimhe
Nov 5th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Jen coz of her "history"

Volcana
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Jennifer, she was a child prodigy. She's got 'the story'. And she was in the top ten at 14, or something equally absurd.

But Lindsay is actually the more accomplished player.

Singles titles Lindsay 36, Jenn 13
Doubles titles Lindsay 32, Jenn 1

GS titles Lindsay 3 singles, 3 doubles
Jenn 3 singles, zero doubles

They both have Olympic Gold medals

Lindsay's been Year End #1 twice, Jen never

tennischick
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:30 AM
history will remember them BOTH, separately, differently...duh

pointless poll IMHO...:rolleyes:

jay_k
Nov 5th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Jennifer Capriati

Someone can make a movie about her tennis career .The script would definitely have everything that makes a typical Hollywood film . Jennifer Capriati could play herself while Xavier Malisse ,Matthew Perry and a few others could make 'guest' appearances as her love interests .

Rubylips
Nov 5th, 2002, 01:09 PM
I myself,would rememmber linsday.Beautiful story.Jenn,will always be remmeber as a comeback from drugs.No matter ,what the young do,thatt will alway play.

Williams Rulez
Nov 5th, 2002, 01:50 PM
The sweetheat will win the media over. I think Lindsay should get the recognition though.

wongqks
Nov 5th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Jennifer will be remembered more coz of her fairy tale story. But I think Lindsay is more successful as to date.

But I do think lindsay will also be remembered. She although not hugely known among the world, but she is very popular within the tennis circle, I mean that ultimately will be the people who talked about past champions

joaco
Nov 5th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Dawn Marie are you dumb? This thread talks about Lindsay and Jennifer, not Monica. Weird you didn't say neither Venus or Serena :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think Lindsay should be, but Jennier due to all her history will be remembered. But I still believe Lindsay will achieve more things, so.... Lindsay will be more remembered,

Joaco

selesrules
Nov 5th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Jennifer brought much more popularity to tennis then Davenport. She also will be remembered more because of her life story, (teenage superstar, then she has problems, then she puts her life back together and comesback, then she struggles for years, then she becomes no.1 and wins 3 slams). As for Davenport, not many people outside tennis have heard of her. Jennifer should be remembered more...

disposablehero
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Wow, out of 69 people, not one thinks Lindsay is going to be less deserving but more recognized. That shows a pretty negative feeling toward media hype.

Helen Lawson
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Lindsay obviously is "better" on paper with more titles, some Slam doubles titles and more weeks at No. 1. However, much of what Jennifer accomplished and what I think makes her extraordinary does not show on paper like that. She was pro and in the Top 10 like at 14 years old. She played and beat Martina Navratilova at Wimbledon when the latter was the defending champion and Jenn was like 15. She was making Slam semis at 14-15 years old. She beat Graf in 1992, not later in the decade after a load of injuries and again did this at a young age. I think these accomplishments, while they do not translate into weeks at No. 1 and titles, is huge and something I doubt we'll ever see again, especially with AER. Again, it is not only the tournaments at that age, but the vast variety of players she has competed against and at least beaten once. She has it covered from Navratilova, to Graf, to Hingis, to Serena. Who else has competed against these women at her level who are left, not many. She also left tennis completely for a few years. Not only did she come back, she came back to higher levels than ever, reaching No. 1 and winning three Slams, including 2 consecutively. No one has ever left tennis for a duration like that and come back like that. No one. It is not just fairly tale, it is amazing she could do this and truly speaks to her talent or whatever you want to call it. I feel like there will be future players with careers similar to that of Lindsay, but there is only one Jennifer Capriati.

gerhard
Nov 5th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Both are excellent tennis-players. However Jennifer lived - for the public - the more exciting life than Lindsay .
I guess, that is the major reason why more people will remember Jennifer.

GermanBoy
Nov 5th, 2002, 05:37 PM
What a stupid question!

:hearts: I love both - Jenny & Lindsay!!! :hearts:

I want both to be remebered, because both are nice persons and players!

sartrista7
Nov 5th, 2002, 06:00 PM
I see the question slightly differently. Yes, Jennifer will be remembered more and yes, Lindsay was the better player. But Jenn's circumstances do merit more remembrance than her game. As an individual, she's more interesting than Lindsay: she battles her demons, she loses her temper, she saves four match points in Slam finals. There's more drama there, even without the American Sweetheart myth (yes, myth). Which match are you going to remember in 20 years' time: Hingis v Graf at RG '99 or Serena v Seles at Acura '01? Serena v Seles was the better match - but Hingis v Graf had the drama, the excitement, everything which transcended the sport.

In any case, you do it already. Just compare the amount of discussion Jenn's actions elicit with the amount of discussion Lindsay's do. Lindsay probably likes it better this way, too. I mean, she will be remembered - just not as much. And whenever the question of who was actually the better player arises, there won't be much discussion about it.

niratti
Nov 5th, 2002, 08:06 PM
i don't really care who will be remembered more as long as i know that:

'Lindsay will always be in my heart until the end of my life' :)

CappyMania
Nov 5th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Lindsay is a great player but a media's favorite? NO WAY! So the right answer is:

Jennifer Capriati

disposablehero
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:28 AM
There have been good points made about some of the things that make Jennifer unique. Those points are reflected in the fact that 1/3 of the most knowledgeable tennis fans feel she is more noteworthy than someone who has clearly superior overall numbers. Now if jennifer can narrow the gap in those areas, I would probably give her the nod.