PDA

View Full Version : Meet Julia Görges vol2

Pages : 1 [2]

Dispeker
Dec 21st, 2011, 01:11 PM
That's quite entertaining: The Personality of Julia Görges (http://www.astrotheme.com/portraits/M2xySFgHpx4b.htm)

I especially liked the following part:

In love, Madam, you are all passion and sex appeal. Since your young age, you understood the sexual and magnetic attraction powers that you convey: like a predator, you choose, you take action and you catch in your nets the men you desire until you lose interest in them. The only men who can really stand the test of time are those who will resist you or subject you unconditionally, and whom you will respect for the rest of your life. They can also be men who will be totally submissive and, because of their absolute love for you, accept to live a hell of a life by your side, totally depending on you.

Yep, that would be me! :hatoff: (:lol:)

Dispeker
Jan 6th, 2012, 06:12 PM
From the New Zealand Herald:

Anyone who reckons sports journalism is one of the last bastions of sexism is probably one of them 'fimnists' we've heard about. Anyway, one (male) journo at the ASB Classic this week was left red-faced when he started typing "Julia Goerges" into Google in order to check on her recent form.

Trouble is, Google these days has a predictive function, meaning that when you start typing, it gets all smart-alecy and guesses the next words in your search. So our earnest hack looked away from his screen just as the words "julia goerges bra size" appeared on screen. Which, inevitably, was when a female journo walked behind him.

Well, that's his story and he's sticking to it.

:D

Skoo
Jan 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM
:lol: Funny, but I never got that "word prediction" from Google :)

Dispeker
Jan 6th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I find it pretty useless anyway.

I just checked myself - the first 3 suggestions are:

1. Twitter
2. Hot
3. Bra

Skoo
Jan 6th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Interesting. Mine are Facebook, WTA, Zimbio :)

Dispeker
Jan 6th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Interesting. Mine are Facebook, WTA, Zimbio :)

Then your Google is not as dirty as mine :lol:

hankmoody
Jan 6th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Haha!:D
On Google I get 1. Twitter 2. Freund(Boyfriend) 3.Wiki 4. Hot
And on Yahoo:
1. Bilder(Pics) 2. Bikini 3. Homepage 4. Oberweite(bust size)

Search engines are funny!:lol:

Skoo
Jan 6th, 2012, 11:10 PM
:lol: Word, Andman.

Dispeker
Jan 11th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Can Julia Goerges win the Australian Open 2012? (http://blogs.bettor.com/Can-Julia-Goerges-win-the-Australian-Open-2012-Tennis-Special-a122613)

Of course! Who else? (:facepalm:)

Skoo
Jan 11th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Can Julia Goerges win the Australian Open 2012? (http://blogs.bettor.com/Can-Julia-Goerges-win-the-Australian-Open-2012-Tennis-Special-a122613)

Of course! Who else? (:facepalm:)

I guess stranger things have happened since the beginning of the universe :lol:

HowardH
Jan 11th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Well, that person certainly believes in her a lot :eek:. Must like her. I mean anything can happen, but can he really believe that it's a likely scenario? I liked the phrase "one of the most breathtaking tennis players". And Julia's "terrifying" illness.

As regards the predictive search, if I look up "Julia Goerges" on google I get :bra size, pronunciation, hot
If I look up "Julia Görges" on google I get: twitter, movies, height.

Also, thanks to Andman's post I learnt a new German word.

hankmoody
Jan 11th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Well, that person certainly believes in her a lot :eek:. Must like her. I mean anything can happen, but can he really believe that it's a likely scenario? I liked the phrase "one of the most breathtaking tennis players". And Julia's "terrifying" illness.

As regards the predictive search, if I look up "Julia Goerges" on google I get :bra size, pronunciation, hot
If I look "Julia Görges" on google I get: twitter, movies, height.

Also, thanks to Andman's post I learnt a new German word.

You`re welcome!;)
Feel free to ask for more!:lol:

Vikapower
Jan 12th, 2012, 02:42 AM
I mean anything can happen, but can he really believe that it's a likely scenario?

There are many people (probably in which a vast majority of guys) who would very sincerely love Julia to succeed. :lol: This article is passionate, passion is beautiful as long as it is kept under the control of words and poetry.

As much as I'm eager like probably all of us fans consequence of the flame we have for her or the other faves to lift a major's trophy one day -- the rational part has to keep all of this under control. :angel:

I do share the optimism of Christopher (Mayers of his sirname) secretly. Shut...! Who knows. :angel:

joy division
Jan 12th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Some parts of the report

"Goerges is the upcoming tennis star from Germany who will flabbergast everyone with her outstanding capability to absorb the pressure with ease.":lol:

"She just needs to stay focused on her mission and nail down her opponents one by one in order to win million other hearts that still are unaware of her charming character.:crazy::worship:
Fan of Martina Hingis and Roger Federer, will definitely follow their footsteps and rise later in her career to the world number one spot for sure."

If I were Nensel, I`d let her recite this text every hour, we would have a miraculous healing.:lol:

HowardH
Jan 19th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I have no idea where to post this, so I suppose here:

http://www.totalprosports.com/2012/01/18/15-gorgeous-women-youve-never-heard-of-at-the-2012-australian-open/1/

Of course it isn't really aimed at real tennis fans like us. After all, I actually know all of these players.

Guess who's number 1?

Skoo
Jan 19th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Never in doubt :)

Rovegun
Jan 19th, 2012, 04:32 PM
oh god this man has to be an idiot :D because how else to explain his comments under pics :D

Dispeker
Feb 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM
YOU :(

You, who just made me remarks in FedCup thread about negative thoughts, you are in depression now ??

To quote you: "Oh Mann, immer die Fokussierung auf das Negative und dieses Anspruchsdenken. Nicht gewonnen, gleich alles scheiße " :D You even saw, in Lisicki's play: "Riesenmatch gegen Kvitova"
C'mon baby ! Her tweet was good. Non "was tough match, will learn from it" only instead: "I couldn't use my chances (..) was not enough today" and she just sees only one positive thing: "u get every week a new chance in tennis" - to solace her and her fans. It's a big improvement from her :) You don't have to bother yourself.

Don't get hysterical like Julia in Paris :lol:

She said in Paris, in an interview with Polish journalist, that she didn't know if she qualifies for the Olympics. She is aware of it. And that Olimpics was always her dream. So I think a shock begins...

Been on a short ski trip over the weekend and just went online again. Silesia, it seems like you felt somehow offended by the post you have quoted. If so, I apologize. I was probably a bit pissed off on that day.

But to answer your question, no I'm neither depressed nor hysterical :D After all it's just tennis we're talking about here ;) I just don't have any illusions anymore about Julia being a future top 10 player. And I really thought she had the potential to reach the top but talent alone is just not enough. As I said before, she doesn't learn imo. Fact is: She is still a streaky player and I don't see any signs/hints (in her tweets or interviews) that she is really trying to figure out the (real) cause for this (for a simple racquet change won't do the trick).

That said, I'm still convinced that she will win the French Open one day. :D She will probably only be a top 30 or 40 player by then but who cares. :)

Vikapower
Feb 20th, 2012, 02:04 PM
But to answer your question, no I'm neither depressed nor hysterical :D After all it's just tennis we're talking about here ;) I just don't have any illusions anymore about Julia being a future top 10 player. And I really thought she had the potential to reach the top but talent alone is just not enough. As I said before, she doesn't learn imo. Fact is: She is still a streaky player and I don't see any signs/hints (in her tweets or interviews) that she is really trying to figure out the (real) cause for this (for a simple racquet change won't do the trick).

That said, I'm still convinced that she will win the French Open one day. :D She will probably only be a top 30 or 40 player by then but who cares. :)

I understand where you come from but we should keep hope -- but you state facts which unfortunately are not contradicted by Julia's progress. If you take out AO, it's pretty much been deceiving and it's not like their wasn't room to do better -- I'll not hide the fact that despite their are still many weeks, months, years of tennis to play that Julia is pretty deceiving because we're not dealing with a player who is hindered technically or something --

Julia is by far though that might be surprising the player on the tour I like to watch play because her style of tennis around the forehand is what I like and I've always tend to favor girls who have better forehands than backhands -- :lol: Well I guess it shows in my sig unless Maria and Victoria all my other faves have better forehands than backhands though for various reasons unlike Julia they do not often turn around it --> though I've never been a fan of Samantha Stosur and Ana Ivanovic but players like Kim Clijsters, Julia when they turn around their forehands. :drool:

I do think Julia can be a top 10 player that's not the most difficult task out there, I doubt she'll be a regular one, we'll see anyways but she wants to win big titles, we want her to win big titles but indeed there's no hints that she will have the consistency in 5, 6 or 7 consecutive matches to do so in order to win a Premier 5, Mandatory or even so a major [...] TBH it's extremely annoying and even for me who strongly believes in her and I really do not like to see her lost like how she's doing.

As you said, she has the talent it's evident and everyone knows it but that's just not enough without at least a head, a mindset or something to canalize it into positive outcomes ---

The racket switch can work, Victoria went from Babolat to Wilson Juice BLX and as I call it the 'magic racket' really had some great positive effects on certain of her ground-strokes starting with the serve... but the racket is not what did the job, like Victoria says/said, she's the one controlling the racket so the job came from her and it's clear that the difference in mentality with a Victoria and a Julia is a 10^15 light mile distance yet Julia can be as good as ANY of the top 5-10 players.

Julia probably changed racket for more control but it's in her head she needs that control and it's clear -- she has everything already, power, technique, timing, lift etc... and amazing forehand - clay is Julia's best surface I think we just need to hope she hits a hot streak in RG some year and wins it -- probably it will operate a drastic turn around in her mentality probably not it's impossible to tell unless it happens.

But I'm still hoping in between then Julia finds the secret key to find what prevents her from being a much better player than what she's displaying right now. :lol:

silesia
Feb 20th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Silesia, it seems like you felt somehow offended by the post you have quoted. If so, I apologize. I was probably a bit pissed off on that day.

No, I'm not offended. Don't overdo it. Your post was stuck in my memory, because that was the only positive note in that bad day of the ger. failure. All complained and was pissed, only Dispeker was an optimist :D

Keep the faith ! ;)

Rovegun
Feb 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM
The racket switch can work, Victoria went from Babolat to Wilson Juice BLX and as I call it the 'magic racket' really had some great positive effects on certain of her ground-strokes starting with the serve... but the racket is not what did the job, like Victoria says/said, she's the one controlling the racket so the job came from her and it's clear that the difference in mentality with a Victoria and a Julia is a 10^15 light mile distance yet Julia can be as good as ANY of the top 5-10 players.

Julia probably changed racket for more control but it's in her head she needs that control and it's clear -- she has everything already, power, technique, timing, lift etc... and amazing forehand - clay is Julia's best surface I think we just need to hope she hits a hot streak in RG some year and wins it -- probably it will operate a drastic turn around in her mentality probably not it's impossible to tell unless it happens.

But I'm still hoping in between then Julia finds the secret key to find what prevents her from being a much better player than what she's displaying right now. :lol:

just a little correction... Vika went from Head to Wilson ;)

SidTheKid
Feb 20th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I have no idea where to post this, so I suppose here:

http://www.totalprosports.com/2012/01/18/15-gorgeous-women-youve-never-heard-of-at-the-2012-australian-open/1/

Of course it isn't really aimed at real tennis fans like us. After all, I actually know all of these players.

Guess who's number 1?

Some explanations are just :help: Cmon Jarka got married to Australian thats why shes Aussie not like her parents were from here and mobed there :lol:

Rovegun
Feb 20th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Some explanations are just :help: Cmon Jarka got married to Australian thats why shes Aussie not like her parents were from here and mobed there :lol:

but her Aussie citizenship is more "natural" than other Aussies like the Rodionova sisters... did they get married there or why did they become Aussies?

SidTheKid
Feb 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM
but her Aussie citizenship is more "natural" than other Aussies like the Rodionova sisters... did they get married there or why did they become Aussies?

Ill never consider Jarka Aussie :) She should go somehow back to Slovak citizenship even tho it would be stupid for her :lol:

Dispeker
Feb 21st, 2012, 02:11 PM

Nicely put :) Well, I keep hoping that too even though I don't quite believe it will really happen. On the other hand, she's just 23... couple of years left to find that secret key. We'll see, we'll see. (great rhyme isn't it?).

Keep the faith ! ;)

Silesia, even if I wanted to, I couldn't lose faith. It's the goddess! :bowdown: :D

Vikapower
Feb 21st, 2012, 08:54 PM
just a little correction... Vika went from Head to Wilson ;)

:lol: Yeah thanks.

Nicely put :) Well, I keep hoping that too even though I don't quite believe it will really happen. On the other hand, she's just 23... couple of years left to find that secret key. We'll see, we'll see. (great rhyme isn't it?).

;) We'll see, everything's up to Julia anyways -- if it were only for us and all the goods we have in head for she'd be up there all ready but I guess she's alone with her coach so yeah though battle. :lol:

joy division
Feb 27th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Last week at Dubai was great for Julia. Since the AO she has shown some very different performances. To judge her development in can be worthy to look beyond the horizon.

So - What does the rest of the (tennis forum) world say ?
When you look at the threads in the general messages of the last month you can find very different comments.
About 80% of them contain not more than 5 words.
Some examples - "Big boobed bitch", or "Julia, buy yourself a brain" to "That`s right, Julia !" and "jugs win:cheer:"
Hmm okay..., in between there is some much more interesting and well-elaborated stuff.

To be seen in the Radwanska beats Goerges thread -

Julinha just can't keep intensity and mental focus at even acceptable levels for any length of time. There are always patches in every match in which she doesn't even bother to think and/or move her feet. I suspect her mental and physical stamina are subpar, and this is just the way she manages her own level of effort/commitment - basically, by taking breaks to rest during the match. Probably doesn't help that the timing of her elaborate, wide swing strokes is so precarious, and that they require so many small adjustments to be in any way effective; it must be very taxing for her rudimentary footwork.

Remarkable that, for how tired she looked, for how poorly she played and for the shitload of wild errors she made, she might have won the match if she hadn't missed so many easy midcourt balls (I've read people blaming it on her grip, but it isn't that extreme - it's her swings and her poor footwork; she takes the ball late almost by default when she's moving forward, and there flies the ball into the doubles alley and beyond).

After her match against Caroline a groomed bitcher wrote -

this match was LOL. any notion that caro has any sort of tactics or thinks on court are all quashed the moment she steps on court against julia. cus while other players may make caro look like some tactical genius when she loops up forehands and they have no idea what to do with them, julia says thanks very much that is my favourite shot. the worse part is it isn't like this would be a surprise, caro has played and lost to julia twice last year, just proof caro has 1 way of playing and is as brainless and 1 dimensional as any ball basher.

as for julia her backhand is horrible and her long winding take backs on both sides would leave her so vunerable when she is rushed or the ball is low. but when you play caro you don't get rushed or low balls.

i actually think julia is pretty mentally weak too, the towel thing at the start, questioning every close call, the tightness of the score when julia couldn't ask for an nicer opposition to play into her hands. not that that matters because her game so perfectly fits beating woz she can do it whilst not being very mentally strong or playing well.

tbh this match sums up all that is wrong with womens tennis, one girl only capable of running and has no plan b, the other bashing with no plan b. julia should just thank her lucky stars caro is incapable of doing anything bar hitting into julia's strike zone.

And again Corswandt after her match against Petra in the Fed-Cup

Some fine first strike tennis and high pace rallies, with no player backing off, from both in the first two sets amid all the wild errors (most, to be fair, due to the inability of both to handle each other's pace). Some impressive serving from Julinha, but like always holding serve against Kvitova depends entirely on how she returns; she can spend a whole set framing returns into the stands and then all of a sudden she'll start blasting away even the fastest and best placed serves. Some of Kvitova's BH ROS were :eek: Rally FH misfired way too often.

Kvitova's serve again didn't have much in it, and she struggled to keep up even that mediocre level of serving up until she loosened up when she realised that Julinha, whose BH is a massive liability on ROS at the best of times, was too tired to threaten her much on return.

Julinha's BH shows no signs of improvement - still club player level on ROS, and on several occasions she had a completely open court for a BH DTL ROS and still missed it horribly. She can rally CC with it, and that's it.

The latter stages of the third set were a :tape: endurance contest as such "epics" tend to be, with both players dead tired and hardly moving, and often just spinning the ball in and waiting for their opponent to miss. Julinha, who had scrambled more often than Kvitova throughout the match (often on irrelevant points) was the one who eventually gave in.

Meanings ?:wavey:

LinusVanPelt
Feb 27th, 2012, 05:14 PM
i think Corswandt is right about the most of he/she says -although wtf is julinha? really?- , but the other one is.. i dunno. not sure if she/he is trolling or really stupid.

joy division
Feb 27th, 2012, 05:21 PM
i think Corswandt is right about the most of he/she says -although wtf is julinha? really?- , but the other one is.. i dunno. not sure if she/he is trolling or really stupid.

His analyze of her match against Aga is a bit harsh but brilliant.
Julinha is the Portuguese diminuitive form of Julia.
In English it might be "Jule", in German we say "Julchen".
It`s nicely meant.;)

LinusVanPelt
Feb 27th, 2012, 05:39 PM
It`s nicely meant.;)

oh, didnt know that :) i agree with you, he is right about his analysis but however; i did not find them -how can i say,groundbreaking? or even new. Yes they are true and he analyzed the match very effectively but most of his points has emphasized in our sub-forum too, especially Vikapower stressed Jule's flaws and deficiencies in his varying posts. So yes they are true but i think there is nothing new in his posts :shrug:

robpal
Feb 27th, 2012, 06:11 PM
It`s nicely meant.;)In Polish it's "Julka" and I must say I love it :D

Some of there posts above (quoted by joy division) are total crap. She's not Federer, she needs to make a big swing to hit that 150 km/h forehands. It's obvious she can't take every ball early.

I think she's mentally strong. She proved that in the semis, where she was up 5-3 in the first and after a massive choke she managed to win the set. Also she saved a BP while serving for the match. Two biggest problems are her footwork and decision-making. It has nothing to do with mental strength and both can be improved :)

Dispeker
Feb 27th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I agree with if i would could (can I call you iffy? ;)). Sammy123 is obviously a troll like 90% of the posters on GM. So his 'observations' are not worth commenting on. As regards Corswaldt, he makes indeed a lot of valid points. However, it's just nonsense that Julia can only rally with her BH cross court and nothing else. She hits her BH with much more placement now and ends many rallies with a BH winner (quite often down the line). (Check her match against Kuznetsova for example). Of course, there is still much room for improvement, but it's surely better than club level. :rolleyes:

LinusVanPelt
Feb 27th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I agree with if i would could can I call you iffy? ;)
:yeah:

Dispeker
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:06 PM
:yeah:

^^ I was kidding actually - calling you "iffy" makes me think of a 15-year old obese girl (don't ask me why). No that's not a good and short name - what about IIWC?

LinusVanPelt
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:20 PM
^^ I was kidding actually - calling you "iffy" makes me think of a 15-year old obese girl (don't ask me why). No that's not a good and short name - what about IIWC?

Dont care dude, you can call me whatever you want; iffy, fluffy, cheeky. But i prefer emir :D maybe you can call me "turk" -it would Make me feel like jason statham :lol:

SidTheKid
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Jason Statham has craziest moveis I´ve ever seen..Crank and Crank 2 is what I´m pointing to :D Ill call you Emir :) If I can :D

Dispeker
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Ill call you Emir :) If I can :D

Me too. Although I really like "Fluffy" as well ;)

SidTheKid
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Me too. Although I really like "Fluffy" as well ;)

Fluffy reminds me of Gabriel Iglesias (find him on Youtube he is hilarious) :lol:

silesia
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I really like "Fluffy" as well ;)

It's Fluffy Chick(en) :umbrella:

http://raws.adc.rmit.edu.au/~s3281856/blog2/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/chicken.jpg

LinusVanPelt
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Emir would be okay and also; its short and my Actual name :lol: i was talking about the Movie "snatch". İ highly recommend it :)

SidTheKid
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Fluffy Emir? :oh:

LinusVanPelt
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:43 PM
It's Fluffy Chick(en) :umbrella:

http://raws.adc.rmit.edu.au/~s3281856/blog2/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/chicken.jpg

İ have changed my mind, call me fluffy. Or jigglypuff .

joy division
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:48 PM
The main point in my post was to get an overview about the way the other members in this forum are looking at Julia`s game. It`s hard to find something really valuable.
The increasing number of the short comments are just a sign that she gets more and more attention overall, where at there is to say that the bigger part of the forum finds her likeable. How could that be different.:D
Concerning Corswandt I`d say that his comments are really well.
He does not digress and has a very precise view on her game. I did not give too much attention on the cynical undertone because it`s his style and I`m sure that he actually likes Julia and her game pretty much.
Concerning Sammy troll I don`t really know why I put it here. There is something true about what he says, but his main point is to bitch.
There`s really nothing special about it, beside the fact that it is the most extended post of the members who never moves in Julia`s thread guys.
Btw. the art of trolling in style is not easy, just a little note - Vikapower was elected to the "troll of the year 2011" of all the members here. That`s something like an award.:D

joy division
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:50 PM
İ have changed my mind, call me fluffy. Or jigglypuff .

What about "Woody" ?

LinusVanPelt
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Trolling is the art of ironi :worship: although i Never thought vikapower as a troll :lol: he is def. Serious here i guess :)

Dispeker
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Guys, we are spamming too much. Lets move to the fan thread.

LinusVanPelt
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:53 PM
What about "Woody" ?

What does this "wood"y refer to :lol: ?

Dispeker
Feb 27th, 2012, 09:14 PM
The main point in my post was to get an overview about the way the other members in this forum are looking at Julia`s game. It`s hard to find something really valuable.
The increasing number of the short comments are just a sign that she gets more and more attention overall, where at there is to say that the bigger part of the forum finds her likeable.

The more succesful she becomes, the more hate she will get - at least on GM. ;)

Btw. the art of trolling in style is not easy, just a little note - Vikapower was elected to the "troll of the year 2011" of all the members here. That`s something like an award.:D

Really? Well done Vikapower :yeah:

Vikapower
Feb 28th, 2012, 12:15 AM
The increasing number of the short comments are just a sign that she gets more and more attention overall, where at there is to say that the bigger part of the forum finds her likeable. How could that be different.:D

Most people like Julia, it's just that, the most stupid posts gets the highlights because they're short and stupid name calling Julia etc... The stupid 12yo. comments like big boobish bish etc... are pretty much disappearing, thankfully they were/still are annoying as hell.

Concerning Corswandt I`d say that his comments are really well.
He does not digress and has a very precise view on her game. I did not give too much attention on the cynical undertone because it`s his style and I`m sure that he actually likes Julia and her game pretty much.
Concerning Sammy troll I don`t really know why I put it here. There is something true about what he says, but his main point is to bitch.
There`s really nothing special about it, beside the fact that it is the most extended post of the members who never moves in Julia`s thread guys.

For Corswandt etc... to take off all use of brilliant rhetoric (irony, cynicism, hyperbole, litotes etc..) to understand the point... Lol I don't know if he does it on purpose or if he has any notions about that well, but, it's well done.

As for the rest (Sammy etc...) well, I don't read them/him so I don't know -- it's much more stimulating to read posters on GM who have an art in saying etc... while making valid points than the rest to just say the same thing in a pseudo-intellectual manner they think that pleases Athena. Well that's just me, probably too much classic literature/philosophy/essaying etc...

BTW I've read Jacques the Fatalist like 10 times already and planning an 11th :help: actually just 3 times :lol: book is long :o but learn a lot. :angel: As for TOY, that's pretty much a joke from TF. :silly: :lol:

Vikapower
Feb 28th, 2012, 12:29 AM
I agree with if i would could (can I call you iffy? ;)). Sammy123 is obviously a troll like 90% of the posters on GM. So his 'observations' are not worth commenting on. As regards Corswaldt, he makes indeed a lot of valid points. However, it's just nonsense that Julia can only rally with her BH cross court and nothing else. She hits her BH with much more placement now and ends many rallies with a BH winner (quite often down the line). (Check her match against Kuznetsova for example). Of course, there is still much room for improvement, but it's surely better than club level. :rolleyes:

:haha: It's a trollish manner ("club level") -- you must get the main points not the literature embellishments seriously but factually it's right on Julia's return of serve off the backhand, it's one of the biggest weaknesses in her game.

:lol: As for the fact on being able to rally only cross-court, obviously exaggerating but nevertheless, Julia's game down the line is weak. It's not only off the backhand but also off the forehand and her big swings are not strangers to this. Julia does have difficulties as soon as it's to redirect shots down the line, she misses more than she makes but as you said she has progressed from some times aback. I think also she doesn't always understand that the net is highest on the down the line side of the net than cross-court, I bet.

silesia
Feb 28th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Julia does have difficulties as soon as it's to redirect shots down the line, she misses more than she makes but as you said she has progressed from some times aback. I think also she doesn't always understand that the net is highest on the down the line side of the net than cross-court, I bet.

Note, that it's a matter of the footwork :) She is setting her body too late, when she redirects shots down the line (or she isn't doing settings at all). What do you think? Can all people learn a good footwork, or is it like with a dance - some are very flexible and very good, others are like trees and they dance very hard?

joy division
Feb 28th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Note, that it's a matter of the footwork :) She is setting her body too late, when she redirects shots down the line (or she isn't doing settings at all). What do you think? Can all people learn a good footwork, or is it like with a dance - some are very flexible and very good, others are like trees and they dance very hard?

For sure she can get better in her footwork. We know that she is not the big party girl and probably dancing is a good way to improve it.:D
As precondition she has a pretty massive body and long limbs and therefore needs longer to position the whole body for her powerful shots. When she hesitates in her strokes or decisions she can widely miss or hit a ball in direction of no man`s land, to be seen also in net approaches or defensive strokes in her match against Aga.
Concerning her springiness and ability to balance and coordinate the body in quick motion you could see the difference to Angie in the little strange exercise during the Fed Cup against the Czechs.
It was posted on the video and gif thread, I think. Very helpful to watch her footwork and way to approach the ball before hitting are the slomo`s of Ravanloon.
Her footwork always will be a weakness but she can work on it and even slighter improvements will bring her further.

Vikapower
Feb 28th, 2012, 04:04 PM
As precondition she has a pretty massive body and long limbs and therefore needs longer to position the whole body for her powerful shots. When she hesitates in her strokes or decisions she can widely miss or hit a ball in direction of no man`s land, to be seen also in net approaches or defensive strokes in her match against Aga.

That's true --

Concerning her springiness and ability to balance and coordinate the body in quick motion you could see the difference to Angie in the little strange exercise during the Fed Cup against the Czechs.

:lol: Though I think her upper/lower body are coordinated, she's heavy and extremely slow with her feet in comparison to Angelique who has exceptional responsiveness/re-activity. :lol: Her feet cycle faster than her upper body, I think it helps her 'core stability'. Julia lacks lots of precision, she moves her feet jerkily and gives the impression to be constantly leaning because of that.

Another thing also I didn't see is that Julia tries to touch Angelique more than Angelique tries to touch Julia I think it's related to the fact that while Angelique needs one precise shot because of her excellent reactions, Julia being a little bit slower/heavier, less reactions tries to generate much more touches so probably a testimony of how difficult for her to move that [...] but very sexy body. :devil:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SuEdhRoArmc/Ty_Anxgo-qI/AAAAAAAAAHc/VWVtJ6JsKXs/s700/catch.gif

Vikapower
Feb 28th, 2012, 04:04 PM

:wavey:

You're right, Julia doesn't always position herself correctly though, her backhand should in theory be her most stable shot down the line, she comes in closed stance, steps inside with her right foot, is balanced, so it's really something who has to do with her racket swing or footwork to be in position to produce the swing.

Which brings me to your question -- :lol: Well I think she can learn a good footwork but it's never going to be a super one -- she's 23 already these are things you learn young and entertain as years passes by --

Federer is a good example, young/early he was thought the "proper" moving techniques around the tennis courts, Wozniacki younger has played tons of sports which optimized her movement already etc... Julia is certainly a lost cause. :angel: Just kidding. :lol:

:lol: It's also like dancing indeed, there are people who are not really gifted physically there are others who are, I think Julia is gifted tennis wise but not physically but with efficient work and especially with the help of Sasha Nielsen, she herself said in one of these interviews that she progressed a lot to hit her big shots efficiently. ;)

Rovegun
Feb 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SuEdhRoArmc/Ty_Anxgo-qI/AAAAAAAAAHc/VWVtJ6JsKXs/s700/catch.gif

I still dont´t get this practice :rolleyes: :D what the hell are they practicing there? it really has something to do with the movement and footwork? :help:

SidTheKid
Feb 28th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I still dont´t get this practice :rolleyes: :D what the hell are they practicing there? it really has something to do with the movement and footwork? :help:

I think with footwork and reflexes..Or maybe it is just for fun :lol:

LinusVanPelt
Feb 28th, 2012, 09:23 PM
İt's all about the movements-as you said, reflexes footwork etc- i guess, cause we were doing this kind of practice when i was playing Football, Ofcourse it was a little bit different from this :D

joy division
Feb 28th, 2012, 09:33 PM

It`s not difficult see what this actually is about, but the girls don`t take it too serious.
You have to touch the other`s legs and shoulders without getting touched on your own.
When you have a better footwork( like Angie here) and also bettert reflexes you have an advantage.:D

Johnbert
Feb 29th, 2012, 05:35 AM
That's true --

omg angie is like 10 times faster with her foots than jules :hysteric: :haha:

Dispeker
Feb 29th, 2012, 05:38 PM
:haha: It's a trollish manner ("club level") -- you must get the main points not the literature embellishments seriously but factually it's right on Julia's return of serve off the backhand, it's one of the biggest weaknesses in her game.

:lol: As for the fact on being able to rally only cross-court, obviously exaggerating but nevertheless, Julia's game down the line is weak. It's not only off the backhand but also off the forehand and her big swings are not strangers to this. Julia does have difficulties as soon as it's to redirect shots down the line, she misses more than she makes but as you said she has progressed from some times aback. I think also she doesn't always understand that the net is highest on the down the line side of the net than cross-court, I bet.

Yeah, that's sadly (still) true :sobbing:. Her relatively bad movement on court obviously plays a role here too (besides the time she needs for her swing). However, in general most of her shots down the line -at least those hit with her forehand- go in these days - and that was not only the case against players like Caro who gave her enough time but also against Kvitova for example. I rewatched the Fedcup-Game and what I saw confirmed my impression.

Just a few examples:

Against Petra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WD3aw8gWPIU#t=1050s)

Also against Petra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WD3aw8gWPIU#t=1500s)

Against Caro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gEVuFs7yMQ8#t=485s) (ok, doesn't count actually since it's Caro but it's such a joy to watch :D)

joy division
Feb 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Yeah, that's sadly (still) true :sobbing:. Her relatively bad movement on court obviously plays a role here too (besides the time she needs for her swing). However, in general most of her shots down the line -at least those hit with her forehand- go in these days - and that was not only the case against players like Caro who gave her enough time but also against Kvitova for example. I rewatched the Fedcup-Game and what I saw confirmed my impression.

Just a few examples:

Against Petra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WD3aw8gWPIU#t=1050s)

Also against Petra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WD3aw8gWPIU#t=1500s)

Against Caro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gEVuFs7yMQ8#t=485s) (ok, doesn't count actually since it's Caro but it's such a joy to watch :D)

When you mention this it comes into my mind that this is her favorite miss-hit in close matches, especially when the opponent approaches to the net and she has to pass her. She never plays cross-court there and puts these balls consistently 5 cm below the top of the net, although she is in a pretty good position.
She actually can play this ball, as seen in your video, but not in this situation.
I clearly remember a few in her match against Serena at Toronto last year but also in other matches.

CillyUltra
Feb 29th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Julinha just can't keep intensity and mental focus at even acceptable levels for any length of time. There are always patches in every match in which she doesn't even bother to think and/or move her feet. I suspect her mental and physical stamina are subpar, and this is just the way she manages her own level of effort/commitment - basically, by taking breaks to rest during the match. Probably doesn't help that the timing of her elaborate, wide swing strokes is so precarious, and that they require so many small adjustments to be in any way effective; it must be very taxing for her rudimentary footwork.
Dunno how closely he follows Julia. This is definitely nonsense.

:lol: It's also like dancing indeed, there are people who are not really gifted physically there are others who are, I think Julia is gifted tennis wise but not physically but with efficient work and especially with the help of Sasha Nielsen, she herself said in one of these interviews that she progressed a lot to hit her big shots efficiently. ;)

You mean Sascha Nensel. :devil:

CillyUltra
Feb 29th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Another comment:
I also saw Georges in Paris two weeks ago and I like her game as well. But Georges really needs to cut down on those unforced errors, she goes for the wrong shot often at the wrong moment. And like so many two handers, Georges is simply not prepared to bend her knees and slice low balls, preferring often to go for winners which are very low percentage, that is a huge tactical problem she will have to solve very soon with her coach.

Also, Georges has trouble with low balls on the forehand side, shanking them often in the mid court when going for the transition game, Georges has to be prepared to make quick grip changes in the mid court for more safety and to make her game effective. Georges has potential though.

joy division
Mar 1st, 2012, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by laurie View Post
I also saw Georges in Paris two weeks ago and I like her game as well. But Georges really needs to cut down on those unforced errors, she goes for the wrong shot often at the wrong moment. And like so many two handers, Georges is simply not prepared to bend her knees and slice low balls, preferring often to go for winners which are very low percentage, that is a huge tactical problem she will have to solve very soon with her coach.

Good find.

Positioning her body in deep position for an effective slice is not easy for her for physical reasons.
Julia feels uncomfortable with this kind of movement and she mostly plays it when she is forced to.
You can often hear the racket cracking to the ground when she slices and that`s a sign that she is late in the needed movement sequence.
She has to work on it.
The other problem is - being undecided what to do.
Hesitating in this situation will most likely cost her the point.
When she decides to play a top spin, as the stroke she prefers more , it might be too late.
The preparation time then is too short and she fails or brings herself in a worse situation.
Therefore we can see at times these seemingly clumsy action of her.

There`s the question whether this is also a tactical problem or something else.
Another point of view -
I can see it in a line with something that she mentioned once in an interview as her biggest problem - to be unable to think about different things a the same time.
Means beyond other things that she would like to have overall more time for making decisions.
Imo, this „problem“ even gets somehow visible in physical means when you look at the exercise with Angie, where it`s needed to coordinate different movements. - Independently and/or because of her physical preconditions.
On the other hand she can play exceptionally difficult balls, as seen in the match against Wozniacki where she was able to play net points very low, in full stretch and motion.
So there still seem to be some other aspects we have to look at to get a clue.

CillyUltra
Mar 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/57/x610k.jpg

Now that the magnificent Magdalena Neuner is competing at the last big event of her career, at the Biathlon World Championships at home, Julia, who appreciates her a lot, will be eager to follow her races for sure.

Magdalena Neuner set for last hurrah at home worlds (http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sport/othersport/article_1693202.php/PREVIEW-Magdalena-Neuner-set-for-last-hurrah-at-home-worlds)

BTW Lena's article in the English version of Wikipedia is worth reading. It's categorized as "good article", as one of only 5 about German athletes. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalena_Neuner

Julia has received an invite to the worlds, but of course couldn't accept it. I'm wondering whether she's watching Lena's races in IW. Julia will miss the mixed relay today, due to her travel to IW, but thanks to the afternoon scheduling of Lena's races she will be able to follow them in the morning in America:

Sprint - Sat 3rd, 6:30 am

Pursuit - Sun 4th, 7 am

Individual - Wed 7th, 6:15 am

Relay - Sat 10th, 6:15 am

Mass Start - Sun 11th, 7 am

HowardH
Mar 1st, 2012, 12:03 PM
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/57/x610k.jpg

Now that the magnificent Magdalena Neuner is competing at the last big event of her career, at the Biathlon World Championships at home, Julia, who appreciates her a lot, will be eager to follow her races for sure.

Magdalena Neuner set for last hurrah at home worlds (http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sport/othersport/article_1693202.php/PREVIEW-Magdalena-Neuner-set-for-last-hurrah-at-home-worlds)

BTW Lena's article in the English version of Wikipedia is worth reading. It's categorized as "good article", as one of only 5 about German athletes. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalena_Neuner

Julia has received an invite to the worlds, but of course couldn't accept it. I'm wondering whether she's watching Lena's races in IW. Julia will miss the mixed relay today, due to her travel to IW, but thanks to the afternoon scheduling of Lena's races she will be able to follow them in the morning in America:

Sprint - Sat 3rd, 6:30 am

Pursuit - Sun 4th, 7 am

Individual - Wed 7th, 6:15 am

Relay - Sat 10th, 6:15 am

Mass Start - Sun 11th, 7 am

She's an 87 baby, only one year older than Julia. That girl is retiring so early :eek:. Well, I guess she has already achieved all she wanted to, and now she wants new challenges. You have to want to be out there when you are a professional athlete. When the desire to compete is no longer there, I suppose it is time to move on. In her case, all her achievements mean that she no longer has the desire for further success beyond this year.

Many people would choose differently given a similar situation though. It all depends on how much you enjoy being out there and competing in that sport. And how hungry you are to achieve something more. Maybe to be out there for a long time you have to really love the sport itself. I can only presume Bjoerndalen really loves it- it looks like he won't quit until he can no longer compete at the highest level.

Vikapower
Mar 1st, 2012, 05:23 PM
Another point of view -
I can see it in a line with something that she mentioned once in an interview as her biggest problem - to be unable to think about different things a the same time.
Means beyond other things that she would like to have overall more time for making decisions.
Imo, this „problem“ even gets somehow visible in physical means when you look at the exercise with Angie, where it`s needed to coordinate different movements. - Independently and/or because of her physical preconditions.
On the other hand she can play exceptionally difficult balls, as seen in the match against Wozniacki where she was able to play net points very low, in full stretch and motion.
So there still seem to be some other aspects we have to look at to get a clue.

I think we can agree that it's not the fact that Julia lacks what I would call 'tennis IQ' but she has at times blockages on how to transcript that into a technical-tactical action to get the better.

Julia plays at times like a kid who doesn't get what she wants -- and when she doesn't get her winners, she will press to take control over the game e.g., the kid she, will cry, roll over etc... to create a psychological pressure on her parents ; instead of playing to take control over it e.g., more intelligent kids will do something like washing the dishes etc...

I think it's the same thing with Julia, she has desires (play aggressive, go her shots etc...) but there's often no link between what she wants and the appropriate methodology to use to reach to the final result -- it often ends up being messy like the kid who cries.

Under pressure, she shows every in-capacities to transcript her offensive desires into immediate technical-tactical-strategical plan to get the better. -- because tennis is about that... perceiving, analyzing, act/re-act appropriately to solve the problem. The 'italic' is where Julia does block at times.

Julia needs to be much more perspicuous, stop panicking because her big shots doesn't pass (like going for more again = sign of panic, control her stress because the initial game plan isn't working), stay/be thoughtful, flexible and she needs to react much more better under pressure types of shots (low slices, lift in her backhand etc...) to come up with the most appropriate solution in the small space of time she has.

How many times you'll see her try for a highlight winner and tell herself 'this should have been cross-court' ? That's typical of players who either do not see further than their nose under a short laps of pressure time or players who know but prefer denial -- i.e., preferring in-commensurable risks as a short-cut than going for safety or controlled aggressive shot.

How many times you'll see her go a high-light shot, miss it then the point after make the exact same mistake and tell herself 'Wow, again !?' ? :lol: I think all these are signs of lack of immediate flexibility.

Anyways I think she's progressing, when you re-watch the start of her match against Ana, she didn't show desperation and really tried to focus on herself/shots -- throughout the match she tried to stay composed at least in her attitude though her tennis at times was all over the place.

Vikapower
Mar 1st, 2012, 05:27 PM
Dunno how closely he follows Julia. This is definitely nonsense.

You mean Sascha Nensel. :devil:

:lol: Ha, ha, yes, I'm sure there's a famous Nielsen somewhere thus the :devil: but I can't find whom :scratch:

Rovegun
Mar 1st, 2012, 11:13 PM
She's an 87 baby, only one year older than Julia. That girl is retiring so early :eek:. Well, I guess she has already achieved all she wanted to, and now she wants new challenges. You have to want to be out there when you are a professional athlete. When the desire to compete is no longer there, I suppose it is time to move on. In her case, all her achievements mean that she no longer has the desire for further success beyond this year.

Many people would choose differently given a similar situation though. It all depends on how much you enjoy being out there and competing in that sport. And how hungry you are to achieve something more. Maybe to be out there for a long time you have to really love the sport itself. I can only presume Bjoerndalen really loves it- it looks like he won't quit until he can no longer compete at the highest level.

Lena won almost everything in biathlon and she´s the second most successful woman in this sport she´s just phenomenal even though she´s finishing her carreer... it´s going to be sad to see Lena leaving but it´s her decision and I can imagine well how she will enjoy her new life in Bavaria what I know from many German TV series there´s beautiful nature... wish her all the best to her new life... biathlon is going to lose a great person and fantastic athlete....

hankmoody
Mar 2nd, 2012, 12:11 AM
Lena won almost everything in biathlon and she´s the second most successful woman in this sport she´s just phenomenal even though she´s finishing her carreer... it´s going to be sad to see Lena leaving but it´s her decision and I can imagine well how she will enjoy her new life in Bavaria what I know from many German TV series there´s beautiful nature... wish her all the best to her new life... biathlon is going to lose a great person and fantastic athlete....

Normally I couldn`t care less, since I consider biathlon one of the most boring sports ever, but since I really like Lena this is kinda sad.
From what I read in recent interviews from her, she decided to end her career because of three reasons: firstly as you said, because she already achieved everything by now, secondly she finally wants to have a private life and family and the third, quite disturbing factor is, because she had a stalker that even climbed on her balcony:help:.

And yeah bavaria is very beautiful.:cool:

:lol: Ha, ha, yes, I'm sure there's a famous Nielsen somewhere thus the :devil: but I can't find whom :scratch:
You mean Leslie?:lol:

Dispeker
Mar 2nd, 2012, 03:09 PM
The other problem is - being undecided what to do.
Hesitating in this situation will most likely cost her the point.
When she decides to play a top spin, as the stroke she prefers more , it might be too late.
The preparation time then is too short and she fails or brings herself in a worse situation.
Therefore we can see at times these seemingly clumsy action of her.

Another point of view -

Indeed, she was recently quoted in an article saying: „Ich brauche für alles mehr Zeit“ [„Everything I do takes more time“]. I guess that's not only true in regard to her motoric skills but also to her mental/intellectual/cognitive abilities. This would explain the problem Vikapower referred to:

I think it's the same thing with Julia, she has desires (play aggressive, go her shots etc...) but there's often no link between what she wants and the appropriate methodology to use to reach to the final result -- it often ends up being messy like the kid who cries.

Under pressure, she shows every in-capacities to transcript her offensive desires into immediate technical-tactical-strategical plan to get the better. -- because tennis is about that...perceiving, analyzing, act/re-act appropriately to solve the problem. The 'italic' is where Julia does block at times.

I'm afraid her brain doesn't work fast enough to analyze situations like that the right way. Maybe the goddess is just not that smart, to put it bluntly. :)

Skoo
Mar 2nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
I'm afraid her brain doesn't work fast enough to analyze situations like that the right way. Maybe the goddess is just not that smart, to put it bluntly. :)

I highly doubt that her brain doesn't work fast enough (something we can never know), but there are several meanings of "fast". On the most basic level, you have nerve conduction velocity (the speed with which a signal travels, say, from the brain to the hand), but the differences of this velocity in the healthy population is not well studied. In the clinical population, the conduction is significantly slower and leads to grave impairments. The less significant differences in healthy populations might account somewhat for variability in intelligence (as indeed a reduced number of studies show), but the effect can't be so great as to make you visibly dumber :)

A much more important thing is the speed with which decisions are made. Although genetic factors can account for some variability here as well, it largely depends on experience and learning. Here we have more extensive and clear research which shows it can be trained and it gets better with practice. One thing because of which Julia usually makes bad decisions might be the simple lack of experience on a high level. She might have not played enough to be able to make better decisions frequently enough.

The anxiety the pressure situation creates is, of course, also very important. Under pressure, without confidence, a lot more options appear. She might think about the bad outcome a shot can have and decide to go for another shot, but this one might not be the right one either, so which one to choose? Until she makes the decision, it might be too late. With confidence (less anxiety), choice reaction time decreases, because every shot is perceived as potentially good (and when they're not, commentators speak about "positive errors", indicating that there are more chances to win playing gutsy like that than ruminating too much about it). One might speculate this happened after the match against Petra. She gained more confidence and played much better than her usual, overall. We saw a lot of great matches in a month.

Another effect the perceived pressure creates is the "explicit monitoring" of strokes. A good stroke is automatic and once you start thinking about how to do it, the chances you'll do it wrong increase significantly.

Self-control is also a big problem. Well, I suppose a very big problem for everyone. When things don't go her way, she can't control herself, starts to act frustrated and obviously stops thinking clearly. The optimism we gained after Dubai is because we noticed an increase in that self-control dept. I actually cannot remember any gesture of frustration :scratch: She showed she can turn matches around and even beat top players without being in a good form and that is because she managed to control herself better.

In short, I think she is smart enough, she has a few important things to learn, signs are good :)

CillyUltra
Mar 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
Lena has just won her first gold medal in impressive manner. :worship:

I'm pretty sure Julia will be happy to hear that (if she hasn't followed the race anyway). :)

Rovegun
Mar 3rd, 2012, 06:41 PM
Lena has just won her first gold medal in impressive manner. :worship:

I'm pretty sure Julia will be happy to hear that (if she hasn't followed the race anyway). :)

yeah, I was watching it she´s still so phenomenal I am a bit sad that she´s leaving because I have started following biathlon due to Lena this year and she´s ending up her career so I am going to watch her it her last race at least...

HowardH
Mar 4th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Have you guys seen this website? It's in French, seems to be a Julia fansite.

http://thomastennis.skyrock.com/

joy division
Mar 4th, 2012, 08:27 AM
^^^
I know this site. It`s good to refresh the French knowledges.
He`s a big fan indeed and should join us (if he already hasn`t ).
Probably some of us are active there too.
You have to be a member to read the comments, I guess.
I prefer the open sites.

joy division
Mar 4th, 2012, 10:10 AM
More and more people in Germany are realizing that German`s women tennis is coming up and also becoming fans of Julia.
She gets more and more fans, expectations are rising and we can find also more reports, interviews and blogs about her, like this one.

http://www.hannabloggt.de/kommentare/wenn-jule-die-vorhand-zieht....46/

It`s some food for Rovegun and pretty interesting to read what this obviously "new" fan writes about her.

Concerning her popularity overall in (Northern)Germany :

The most popular sportsman in an election initiated by the biggest public broadcast and radio station - the NDR - is a soccer player who got up with his club from third to second division in
Germany.:D
Second best is the upcoming goalie from Hannover 96, a club of the first division
The election was mentioned on her homepage and in one of our threads.

Here´s the final result :

1 Dominick Kumbela (Eintracht Braunschweig) 8.831
2 Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96) 4.610
3 Arnd Peiffer (Biathlet/Clausthal-Zellerfeld) 2.104
4 Julia Görges (Tennisspielerin/Bad Oldesloe) 1.969
5 Andreas Raelert (Triathlet/Rostock) 1.573

There still seems to be a long way to go for Julia to get in the public`s mind.

Rovegun
Mar 4th, 2012, 10:45 AM
More and more people in Germany are realizing that German`s women tennis is coming up and also becoming fans of Julia.
She gets more and more fans, expectations are rising and we can find also more reports, interviews and blogs about her, like this one.

http://www.hannabloggt.de/kommentare/wenn-jule-die-vorhand-zieht....46/

It`s some food for Rovegun and pretty interesting to read what this obviously "new" fan writes about her.

Concerning her popularity overall in (Northern)Germany :

The most popular sportsman in an election initiated by the biggest public broadcast and radio station - the NDR - is a soccer player who got up with his club from third to second division in
Germany.:D
Second best is the upcoming goalie from Hannover 96, a club of the first division
The election was mentioned on her homepage and in one of our threads.

Here´s the final result :

1 Dominick Kumbela (Eintracht Braunschweig) 8.831
2 Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96) 4.610
3 Arnd Peiffer (Biathlet/Clausthal-Zellerfeld) 2.104
4 Julia Görges (Tennisspielerin/Bad Oldesloe) 1.969
5 Andreas Raelert (Triathlet/Rostock) 1.573

I finally got some food I was waiting too long :D

anyway it´s fine Julia is becoming more famous in Germany...

Skoo
Mar 4th, 2012, 11:01 AM

I think there are not many chances for a tennis player to become more popular than a soccer player, but the third place might be hers soon. It is outrageous though how many more fans Petko and Sabine have on social media :)

Dispeker
Mar 4th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I highly doubt that her brain doesn't work fast enough (something we can never know), but there are several meanings of "fast". On the most basic level, you have nerve conduction velocity (the speed with which a signal travels, say, from the brain to the hand), but the differences of this velocity in the healthy population is not well studied. In the clinical population, the conduction is significantly slower and leads to grave impairments. The less significant differences in healthy populations might account somewhat for variability in intelligence (as indeed a reduced number of studies show), but the effect can't be so great as to make you visibly dumber :)

A much more important thing is the speed with which decisions are made. Although genetic factors can account for some variability here as well, it largely depends on experience and learning. Here we have more extensive and clear research which shows it can be trained and it gets better with practice. One thing because of which Julia usually makes bad decisions might be the simple lack of experience on a high level. She might have not played enough to be able to make better decisions frequently enough.

The anxiety the pressure situation creates is, of course, also very important. Under pressure, without confidence, a lot more options appear. She might think about the bad outcome a shot can have and decide to go for another shot, but this one might not be the right one either, so which one to choose? Until she makes the decision, it might be too late. With confidence (less anxiety), choice reaction time decreases, because every shot is perceived as potentially good (and when they're not, commentators speak about "positive errors", indicating that there are more chances to win playing gutsy like that than ruminating too much about it). One might speculate this happened after the match against Petra. She gained more confidence and played much better than her usual, overall. We saw a lot of great matches in a month.

Another effect the perceived pressure creates is the "explicit monitoring" of strokes. A good stroke is automatic and once you start thinking about how to do it, the chances you'll do it wrong increase significantly.

Self-control is also a big problem. Well, I suppose a very big problem for everyone. When things don't go her way, she can't control herself, starts to act frustrated and obviously stops thinking clearly. The optimism we gained after Dubai is because we noticed an increase in that self-control dept. I actually cannot remember any gesture of frustration :scratch: She showed she can turn matches around and even beat top players without being in a good form and that is because she managed to control herself better.

In short, I think she is smart enough, she has a few important things to learn, signs are good :)

^^ I forgot that you're an expert in this field. Well, what to say? Your explanation sounds a whole lot better/sophisticated than mine :D Especially the following:

I remember Mona saying that she always tries to play instinctive tennis. Never heard Julia mentioning something similar. So maybe this is indeed a problem: not too-little thinking but too much (concious) thinking in certain situations.

silesia
Mar 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I remember Mona saying that she always tries to play instinctive tennis. Never heard Julia mentioning something similar. So maybe this is indeed a problem: not too-little thinking but too much (concious) thinking in certain situations.

If such a problem exists with Julia, what I highly doubt, this is due to a lack of experience in high level matches. She played so far very little games with players like Radwanska, Hantuchova for example. After injury tennis players always lose the mechanics of strokes (instinctive play). Sharapova says, that it needed 1.5 years after injury, to recover it. At all I don't think that number 15 in the world can suffer from a lack of mental ability to play tennis. This is close elite in tennis. The discussion had become quite lowbrow - maybe she is not smart, maybe she thinks too little, maybe she thinks too much, maybe ... ufff

silesia
Mar 4th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Julia Görges Equipment

Babolat Pure Drive Racquets 2012

Specifications
Head Size:
100 sq. in. / 645.16 sq. cm.
Length: 27in / 68.58cm
Strung Weight: 11.1oz / 314.68g
Balance: 4 pts HL
Swingweight: 308
Stiffness: 72
Beam Width: 23.5mm / 26mm / 22.5mm /
Composition: Graphite Tungsten
Power Level: Low-Medium
Stroke Style: Medium-Full
Swing Speed: Medium-Fast
Racquet Colors:
Black/White/Blue/Red
Grip Type: Babolat Syntec
String Pattern:
16 Mains / 19 Crosses
Mains skip: 8T 8H
Two Pieces
No Shared Holes
String Tension: 50-66 pounds
Photos: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Drive/descpageRCBAB-BPD11.html

Tennis String

Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L String
Gauge: 16L / 1.25mm
Length: 40 feet / 12.2 meters
Composition: Co-polymer (nylon) + Fluocarbon resin + aluminum fibers
Excellent durability for its gauge (12% more tenacity)
Colors: Grey, Ice
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Luxilon_Big_Banger_ALU_Power_16L_String/descpageACWILSON-ALUSTR.html

Shoes: Nike Lunar Speed 3

Clothes and Accessories: Nike

CillyUltra
Mar 5th, 2012, 03:42 PM
yeah, I was watching it she´s still so phenomenal I am a bit sad that she´s leaving because I have started following biathlon due to Lena this year and she´s ending up her career so I am going to watch her it her last race at least...

Maybe you should tweet Julia this video, so she get's extra motivated for her next matches. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2lbd-ntYR4

Rovegun
Mar 5th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Maybe you should tweet Julia this video, so she get's extra motivated for her next matches. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2lbd-ntYR4

thanks Cilly, I just sent it to Julia... hopefully she will watch it at least... I don´t reckon with any response hopefully this video will make a smile on her face at least...

Mojobackhand
Mar 5th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Ben Rothenberg @BenRothenberg Twitter

Julia Goerges does her best to stay smiling as she gets drawn into fourth round meeting with Victoria Azarenka.

robpal
Mar 5th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Well, she did the draw, she can't complain :P

silesia
Mar 5th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Azarenka likes to run away :P

robpal
Mar 5th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Actually, R16 would be a great result.
First, win two matches, then think about Aza :)

mk27
Mar 5th, 2012, 11:06 PM
2nd round against Baltacha or Rus
3rd round possible against AMG
4th round Azarenka

Vikapower
Mar 5th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Julia should at least make the 4th round. Anything less will really be deceiving with her actual form.

robpal
Mar 6th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Julia should at least make the 4th round. Anything less will really be deceiving with her actual form.And anything more will be a great result ;)
The goal is simple: reach R16 and see what happens.

Skoo
Mar 6th, 2012, 10:30 AM
^^ I forgot that you're an expert in this field. Well, what to say? Your explanation sounds a whole lot better/sophisticated than mine :D

Well, calling me an expert would be insulting to the real experts :lol: Yes, I know a few things about brain and behavior, but I read only a few articles/book chapters on choking (which has explicit monitoring as the favorite culprit) :)

Julia mentioned (once, I think) that one of her problems is that she thinks too much. I suppose that can refer to both slow decision making or this explicit monitoring. Actually, decision making might becomes pretty automatic with experience, too. Anything you think about takes more time :)

If such a problem exists with Julia, what I highly doubt, this is due to a lack of experience in high level matches. She played so far very little games with players like Radwanska, Hantuchova for example. After injury tennis players always lose the mechanics of strokes (instinctive play). Sharapova says, that it needed 1.5 years after injury, to recover it. At all I don't think that number 15 in the world can suffer from a lack of mental ability to play tennis. This is close elite in tennis. The discussion had become quite lowbrow - maybe she is not smart, maybe she thinks too little, maybe she thinks too much, maybe ... ufff

It is not a chronic thing, like what Sharapova mentioned. It is called choking and it can happen to the best players. It can be a bad service game when trying to close the match or a pretty bad match overall. That doesn't mean you can't play reflexively without pressure :) It can be the explanation for Federer's DF on break point for Djokovic at USO.

And I don't see much wrong in a little speculation about any subject, as long as it's not insulting or otherwise avoidable :)

Vikapower
Mar 6th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I agree with what Skoo said on the 'explicit monitoring' etc. and the rest --

I think this is a case for most pro players and more than we think. Victoria Azarenka had also the same problem.

It's practice that can only overcome that until it becomes indivisible from you person -- when someone, generally girls see something (spiders etc.) that scare them, they react automatically with fright, disgust etc.

I don't think hitting a tennis ball can be that instinctive/spontaneous as emotions (joy, sadness etc.) but you can reach to something close enough -- note probably I'm totally wrong. :silly:

If you ask Fred, probably like Chopin, Debussy, Liszt etc. he was born to just strike the ball like that.

I think also the default of playing too much instinctive tennis can be dangerous, IMO, just like an animal and this is what separates them from us -- I think we have that extra-milliseconds to process, animals just reacts it seems to me.

The only time we act like that is when confronted to a totally unattended situation, we just react but if you watch some pranks on TV, when someone receives a spider the person watches, analyzes just a few ms and instinctively reacts to the situation.

I think a good shot also, you need that extra little time though to be able to process/visualize what you're going to do, just like a flash. I think when a player says he/she thinks to much it's like do this like that there get your racket head under the ball etc. Just my quick 2 cent lol. :hatoff:

Skoo
Mar 6th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I don't think hitting a tennis ball can be that instinctive/spontaneous as emotions (joy, sadness etc.) but you can reach to something close enough -- note probably I'm totally wrong. :silly:

Yes, I doubt they can become that automatic. It's not even like riding a bike, since you never forget how to ride a bike, but, as we saw, tennis strokes need to be re-learned, if you don't practice them for a while.

If you ask Fred, probably like Chopin, Debussy, Liszt etc. he was born to just strike the ball like that.

You mean Fed? :) Genetic factors count (a better eyesight, for example), but nobody is born for anything. What matters more is the age at which you begin doing something, motivation, the people around you etc.

I think a good shot also, you need that extra little time though to be able to process/visualize what you're going to do, just like a flash. I think when a player says he/she thinks to much it's like do this like that there get your racket head under the ball etc. Just my quick 2 cent lol. :hatoff:

Well, yes, there has to be a mental scheme of what you are about to do, but you are not given much time to think about it, so the decision has to be very fast. Experience makes it faster. You don't have to think consciously about it, you have to "feel" it. You probably have to be like the animals that don't posses conscious thinking :)

As for how to do the shot, the research is pretty clear. I didn't see any experiment on tennis players, but I don't think it matters much. Other athletes, when asked to think about what they're doing, fail significantly more than the control groups (the athletes who are just do their thing; here (http://www.iapsych.com/articles/gray2011.pdf), if you want to read more).

Vikapower
Mar 6th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Yes, I doubt they can become that automatic. It's not even like riding a bike, since you never forget how to ride a bike, but, as we saw, tennis strokes need to be re-learned, if you don't practice them for a while.

:lol: Well that's for sure -- but doesn't the factor time play a role, your speaking in the case of someone who hasn't played for like a year right ?

But watch Sharapova didn't play for like almost the same period of time after 2008 and at her return it's not like she forgot to strike the ball -- so would the question about how effective one has learnt X Y stroke etc... arise just there ?

You mean Fed? :) Genetic factors count (a better eyesight, for example), but nobody is born for anything. What matters more is the age at which you begin doing something, motivation, the people around you etc.

Lol don't worry Fred is twisted manner to say Fed -- Yes I agree with all... more this, the people around I think have the bigger influence though on a players development as talented as they could be for me it's 50-60% of what the player will give in the future.

Wozniacki is a typical case, Radwanska but also Vaidisova, Grönefeld, Dokic all these players have or has had a pretty bad entourage once in their career.

We could also take Julia, it's almost certain that she wouldn't have fulfilled her potential with Nensel, he really brought a lot to her even if yes, the athlete is always the one doing the real job.

Well, yes, there has to be a mental scheme of what you are about to do, but you are not given much time to think about it, so the decision has to be very fast. Experience makes it faster. You don't have to think consciously about it, you have to "feel" it. You probably have to be like the animals that don't posses conscious thinking :)

Like a flash right ? That's how I think it should be -- I think players who think too much visualize the whole thing and each step of what she/he should be about to do where as it should just be a quick flash and execute...

As for how to do the shot, the research is pretty clear. I didn't see any experiment on tennis players, but I don't think it matters much. Other athletes, when asked to think about what they're doing, fail significantly more than the control groups (the athletes who are just do their thing; here (http://www.iapsych.com/articles/gray2011.pdf), if you want to read more).

Thanks, I've read some researches on that matter I think in tennis, ITF technical section regroups all the bio mechanical, mental etc. things that were made out there.

Skoo
Mar 6th, 2012, 05:18 PM
:lol: Well that's for sure -- but doesn't the factor time play a role, your speaking in the case of someone who hasn't played for like a year right ?

But watch Sharapova didn't play for like almost the same period of time after 2008 and at her return it's not like she forgot to strike the ball -- so would the question about how effective one has learnt X Y stroke etc... arise just there ?

I suppose that question can arise. Tennis strokes are more complex than pedaling, so they should take more time to become automatic again. Even when you ride a bike after a lot of time, you have small problems in the first few meters. And Sabine had to learn to walk again, as do other people with similar problems. Imagine that! I tried very hard to think how I walk and I didn't succeed. Maybe in a pressure condition, like on a plank 100m above the ground :lol:

When Serena came back she was so annoyed that her serve doesn't work. That only happened for a set or so. After that she started feeling it again and beat Pironkova. Considering how much faster she recovered, you might say that her strokes were better learned than Maria's. But there are many other variables to consider, for instance a surgical intervention and the explicit monitoring that probably causes all of the time.

Lol don't worry Fred is twisted manner to say Fed -- Yes I agree with all... more this, the people around I think have the bigger influence though on a players development as talented as they could be for me it's 50-60% of what the player will give in the future.

Wozniacki is a typical case, Radwanska but also Vaidisova, Grönefeld, Dokic all these players have or has had a pretty bad entourage once in their career.

We could also take Julia, it's almost certain that she wouldn't have fulfilled her potential with Nensel, he really brought a lot to her even if yes, the athlete is always the one doing the real job.

One cannot tell, but I would go for more than 90% importance of environmental factors in developing skills :)

Yes, I suppose Nensel did help her a lot. That's for him and Julia to know :)

Like a flash right ? That's how I think it should be -- I think players who think too much visualize the whole thing and each step of what she/he should be about to do where as it should just be a quick flash and execute...

I can't tell you how the personal experience is, because I don't have many such experiences. Howard might know :) I can only tell you what happens in the brain.

Vikapower
Mar 7th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I suppose that question can arise. Tennis strokes are more complex than pedaling, so they should take more time to become automatic again. Even when you ride a bike after a lot of time, you have small problems in the first few meters. And Sabine had to learn to walk again, as do other people with similar problems. Imagine that! I tried very hard to think how I walk and I didn't succeed. Maybe in a pressure condition, like on a plank 100m above the ground :lol:

When Serena came back she was so annoyed that her serve doesn't work. That only happened for a set or so. After that she started feeling it again and beat Pironkova. Considering how much faster she recovered, you might say that her strokes were better learned than Maria's. But there are many other variables to consider, for instance a surgical intervention and the explicit monitoring that probably causes all of the time.

;) It seems to me, the better a person has learnt something the better they can appropriate it and reuse it even after a very long time of non-practice eventually yes, surgical intervention incapacitates and makes you lose certain of the things you controlled efficiently in the past -- so I agree that it doesn't alter the fact that you know but reusing that knowledge efficiently becomes more difficult I guess.

One cannot tell, but I would go for more than 90% importance of environmental factors in developing skills :)

Yes, I suppose Nensel did help her a lot. That's for him and Julia to know :)

:lol: That's what Julia says so I'm just repeating I guess, no but he helped her a lot in the movement, physic etc. department to strike her big shots. I guess she has really progressed in that department if you compare her from today to the times of Copenhagen/Stuttgart 2010.

CillyUltra
Mar 16th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Someone twittered Julia:

Hey Julia =)....I've written you a fan letter and would be happy for an answer when you're home again.

And she replied:

Of course :)

:angel:

Lisickifan84
Mar 29th, 2012, 03:27 PM
on Saturday, the 9th of June, Julia is going to play a show match against Angie Kerber on grass in Halle. Entrance is free.

ATP Halle - Tag der offenen Tür (http://www.gerryweber-open.de/Rahmenprogramm/Tag-der-offenen-Tuer)

;)

Eine Neuerung gibt es auch am Eröffnungstag des Turniers: Dann wird nämlich die Auslosung für das ATP-Turnier im Herzen der ostwestfälischen Lindenstadt stattfinden, auf dem Haller Kirchplatz der St. Johanniskirche. „Wir wollen das Turnier zu den Menschen der Stadt bringen“, sagte Marketingchef Erpenbeck. Auf dem Kirchplatz werden dann unter anderem auch die erfolgreichen deutschen Tennisdamen Angelique Kerber (WTA 14) und Julia Görges (WTA 17) auf einem Kleinfeldplatz Tennis spielen und Kids zum Mitmachen animieren. Die Aktion findet in Kooperation mit dem Kinderschutzbund und dem Westfälischen Tennis Verband (WTV) statt. Kerber und Görges spielen an diesem Samstag (09. Juni) auch ein Showmatch im GERRY WEBER STADION. Der Eintritt ist an diesem "Tag der offenen Tür" kostenfrei.

Quelle (http://www.gerryweber-open.de/News/2012/Maerz/Tennistainment-der-Extraklasse-Zum-Geburtstag-ein-Feuerwerk-der-Stars)

Also vor dem Show match noch eine Gelegenheit die beiden zu sehen ;)

Dispeker
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Matthias Stach the german commentator of eurosport said that Julia's got some private problems. Maybe she broke up with her boyfriend? :eek: (:oh:)

LinusVanPelt
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Does she have a boyfriend?

Dispeker
Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Does she have a boyfriend?

No idea. I would be surprised if she hadn't one though.

joy division
Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Matthias Stach the german commentator of eurosport said that Julia's got some private problems. Maybe she broke up with her boyfriend? :eek: (:oh:)

What did he say exactly ? I missed that.

Vikapower
Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:21 PM

:lol: Would like to know what exactly.

Lately there always seems to something with Julia, health or other -- it's really bothering her on-court performances apparently --

I hope it's not too bad -- anyways at the Djokovic extent this week if you see what I mean. :sad:

Dispeker
Apr 22nd, 2012, 05:00 PM
I don't know what kind of problems she got. He just mentioned it but didn't go into detail. Any guesses? Anything else besides "boyfriend"? :scratch:

Dispeker
Apr 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
What did he say exactly ? I missed that.

Er sagte sinngemäß "Sie hat in letzter Zeit auch ein paar private Probleme".

LinusVanPelt
Apr 22nd, 2012, 07:02 PM

I remember in a photo-which she put it on Twitter- i may saw hickie :oh: To me, tennis players cannot maintain a serious relationship succesfully. Anyways, i dont think that she has a BF. I dont why but, Julia always seem to me like a polygamous girl :oh: this is just my assumption, its pure fiction. But she is definetly too good for 1 person :p

Rovegun
Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:06 PM

well I think we woud have heard of him... at least there would be a pic... I know many people (tennis players) hide their privacy but there would surely be a mention about him in only one sentence I guess... there wouldn´t have to be pics but as I said there would be a little mention about him...

hankmoody
Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:19 PM

No idea what`s going on right now, but:
Wasn`t she with ALG`s brother or so, a few years ago? Or did I get that wrong?

LinusVanPelt
Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:54 PM
Thats over for so long, at the beginnings in 2011 she was single we know that from a interview..

joy division
Apr 22nd, 2012, 09:35 PM
Er sagte sinngemäß "Sie hat in letzter Zeit auch ein paar private Probleme".

These problems can`t be too serious. Otherwise we would know them.
If it was a heartache it wouldn`t affect her so deep that she gets slack on the court.:angel:
She is no teenager anymore. But you never know with Julia.:lol:

I guess there is somebody ill in the family, or something.:shrug:

Rovegun
Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:38 PM
These problems can`t be too serious. Otherwise we would know them.
If it was a heartache it wouldn`t affect her so deep that she gets slack on the court.:angel:
She is no teenager anymore. But you never know with Julia.:lol:

I guess there is somebody ill in the family, or something.:shrug:

we can just discuss many things can happen and the illness of someone very close in her family can be one of them.... if Julia doesn´t reveal anything we can just guess...

Dispeker
Apr 23rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
Well, whatever problems she may have, Martin Kaymer is there now to comfort her :lol:

Skoo
Apr 29th, 2012, 03:47 PM
yeah she does that, but when she dominates at the first, she becomes unstoppable, during the set, then, again
same old trip. Moody Julia.. I wonder sometimes, are there any relation between player's personality and game style. If there are, Julia is a moody very much aggresive and dont-think-before-you act person :lol:

Yes, you're right, I don't remember that kind of loss either. There are relations between personality and game style, but personality chances and almost anyone can gain self-control in the proper circumstances and her improvements are noticeable. But thinking too much is often a bigger problem, because there is not time :)

LinusVanPelt
Apr 29th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Yes, you're right, I don't remember that kind of loss either. There are relations between personality and game style, but personality chances and almost anyone can gain self-control in the proper circumstances and her improvements are noticeable. But thinking too much is often a bigger problem, because there is not time :)

Julia's self-control improved, true, yet it still too far to ideal. And thinking too much can be dangerous often, but being impatient Julia's biggest handicap. All her need is a little patient, thats all. She is smart and talented. When I first watch her I expected her to be next Ivanovic. Same game style, same unbalanced-unstable performance, same mental problems even same physical appereance :lol:.

silesia
May 15th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Babolat Serial Players: Schickt uns eure Fragen an Julia Görges! (http://www.tennisnet.com/deutschland/service/Babolat-Serial-Players-Schickt-uns-eure-Fragen-an-Julia-Goerges/3996826)

Babolat Serial Players: Send us your questions to Julia Görges! (http://www.tennisnet.com/deutschland/service/Babolat-Serial-Players-Schickt-uns-eure-Fragen-an-Julia-Goerges/3996826)

Ihr habt ab sofort nun die einmalige Chance, Julia eure ganz persönlichen Fragen zu stellen. Wir leiten sie ihr dann weiter und präsentieren euch ihre Antworten.
[You have now a unique opportunity to ask Julia your own personal questions. We guide them further to her and then we'll present you her answers.]

Und so geht’s: Einfach anmelden und hier unter dem Artikel eure Frage(n) posten!
[Here is the trick: Simply register (and log in) and post your question(s) here, under the article!]

http://images03.tennisnet.com/Goerges_Babolat.jpg/Content_FormatA_484x238/3.996.786

Dispeker
Jun 6th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Here is a really sweet article about Julia from November 2010. Would be nice if someone could translate it, I've got no time the next days to do it:

Julia „Jule" Görges

Mit Blechkanister, Gummiband und Tennisball

Fast vierzig Grad im Schatten, kein Lüftchen. Und dann, ich hatte im Spielerbereich gerade noch zwei Gartenstühle unter schattigen Bäumen auf dem einzig grünen Plätzchen des sonst überall betonierten Geländes in Flushing Meadow ergattert, kommt sie an mit ihren langen, braunen Beinen. Eine, die auffällt in ihrem „Just do it"-Nike Dress. Doch noch mehr durch ihr Aussehen. T-Shirt und Schuhe in grellem Signal-Neongrün, dazu sportliche Shorts und einen Schal um den Hals. Schlank, groß, dunkle Haare, blaugrüne Augen: Julia Görges, die attraktive 21-Jährige aus Bad Oldeslohe, ist, wie sie daherkommt, offensichtlich eine coole Person.

Na ja, in der klimatisierten Spielerlounge wollte sie sich nicht unterhalten. Deshalb der Schal. Lieber Bullenhitze, „da kriegt man wenigstens keine Erkältung ab." Entspannt und lässig sitzt Julia Görges dann da, schaut einem direkt in die Augen und schildert offen die Dinge aus ihrer Sicht. Redet über Tennis, Ehrgeiz, Geld, Gesundheit, das Leben und ja - auch über Mode. Ein Thema, an dem man bei ihrem Aussehen nicht vorbeikommt, denn Julia Görges könnte mit ihren 1,80 Meter auch als Fotomodell arbeiten. „Nee, einen Modetick habe ich nicht", sagt sie. Am liebsten trägt sie beim Ausgehen Jeans - „ein bisschen zerfetzt müssen sie aber sein" - darüber sportliche T-Shirts, Tücher und Lederjacke. Designermode ist nicht ihr Ding, auch nicht Shopping: „Es kommt nur einmal alle sechs oder zwölf Monate vor, dass ich richtig shoppen gehe."

Nicht Modeln, kein Filmstar, nee - Tennis sei ihr Leben. „Ich hatte keine anderen Berufsvorstellungen. Für mich war es immer Tennis, das hab ich mir schon in der Schulzeit überlegt. Ich wollte immer werden, was ich bin - eine Tennisspielerin." Kein Wunder, dass die Kids in Zeiten, als Steffi Graf die Tenniswelt verzauberte, sich für Tennis begeistert haben. So auch „Jule", die sogar schon, weil der Vorstand die Eltern beschwatzt hatte, Mitglied im Tennisklub war, als sie noch nicht mal einen Schläger halten konnte.

Hin wie her, mit fünf Jahren fing klein Jule dann an und war auch gleich Feuer und Flamme fürs Tennis. Jule, erzählt die Mutter, habe im Tennisklub nie genug gekriegt, sie habe nach jedem Training mit jedem, der wollte, gespielt, auch an der Ballwand, wenn sich niemand fand. Sie sei so verrückt nach Tennis gewesen, dass sie selbst zu Hause an die Wände geballert habe. Da sei ihnen die Idee gekommen, einen mit Wasser gefüllten Blechkanister vor dem Haus aufzustellen, an dem ein Gummiband mit einem Tennisball befestigt war. Jule, so etwa sieben, acht Jahre alt, habe viel Spaß mit dieser Konstruktion gehabt, weil sie den immer wieder zurückkommenden Ball kreuz und quer spielen konnte.

Verwunderlich Jules Begeisterung und Eifer für Tennis, da das Kind nicht von den Eltern angestachelt wurde. „Die haben auch gespielt, aber nicht lang. Ein Südafrikaner hat mich zuerst trainiert, oh Gott, den Namen hab' ich vergessen. Er war unser Clubtrainer in Oldeslohe." Dann war da noch Mirko Schütte, der Bezirkstrainer, „der hat mit mir, als ich noch klein war, am meisten gemacht."

Gut, aber auch streng, so Julia Görges, sei sie von fürsorglichen Eltern erzogen worden. Und einige wichtige Eigenschaften hätten abgefärbt: „Von meinem Vater hab' ich den Ehrgeiz und von meiner Mutter das Perfektsein. So sind meine Stärken im Sport und überhaupt: mein Kampfgeist, der Wille, zu gewinnen, meine Sache gut zu machen, also auch der Wille, viel zu arbeiten, um ein gutes Leben zu bekommen."

Die sehr sportliche Schülerin war auch im Schwimmverein aktiv und machte ein bisschen, aber nur für kurze Zeit, Videoclip-Dance. „Das hat sich dann aber mit Tennis zu sehr überschnitten, da hab ich mir gesagt: Nee, ich mach' nur eine Sache und die richtig." So kam es, dass Julia Görges die Schule mit der Mittleren Reife 2005 aufgab, in dem Jahr, als sie auch zum ersten Mal in der WTA-Weltrangliste geführt wurde, um Tennisprofi zu werden.

Dann, mit 18 in ihrem zweiten Profijahr, hatte Julia Görges schon beachtliche Erfolge. Sie verbesserte sich nach zwei ITF-Turniersiegen und einem Halbfinale auf der WTA-Tour um mehr als 300 Plätze auf der Weltrangliste und war die Tennis-Aufsteigerin des Jahres. Dann, 2008, große Aufmerksamkeit und Bewunderung für Julia Görges nach ihrem ersten Match in Wimbledon, als ihr nach 3:40 Stunden nur ein paar Minuten zum längsten Damenspiel auf dem „heiligen Rasen" fehlten.

Und dann, 2009 in Österreich, ihr erster ganz großer Coup mit einem lustigen Vorspiel. Julia Görges und ihr Coach Sascha Nensel fuhren von Stuttgart mit einem Mietwagen zum Turnier nach Badgastein. „Auf dem Weg in den Bergen haben wir uns verfahren. Plötzlich stand eine Kuh mitten auf der Landstraße. Sie hat uns nicht vorbei gelassen und uns nur dumm durch die Windschutzscheibe angeguckt. Wir haben die blöde Kuh dann angeschrieen, Faxen gemacht, herumgealbert und uns geschüttelt vor Lachen, bis wir nach langem Hin und Her weiterfahren konnten." Nicht die österreichische Kuh, auch nicht die Schweizer Endspielgegnerin Timea Bacsinszky konnten Julia Görges dann noch auf dem Weg zu ihrem ersten WTA-Titel beim Turnier in Badgastein stoppen.

Dieser große Erfolg ist Ergebnis harter Arbeit - und dabei muss niemand sie antreiben. „Ich treibe mich selbst an, weil ich ehrgeizig bin und Ansprüche an mich selbst habe. Mein eigener Ehrgeiz ist dabei sehr wichtig." Und was macht sie stolz? „Dass ich Step by Step nach oben komme und ich mir das alles, was herausgekommen ist, konsequent und stetig erarbeitet habe."

Julia Görges hat Erfolg. Immer mehr. So hat sie inzwischen drei WTA-Turniere im Doppel gewonnen und sich auch schon bis auf Platz 41 der Welt vorgespielt. „Und wenn sie erst spielt, was sie kann, ist viel mehr drin", attestiert ihr die Fed-Cup-Teamchefin Barbara Rittner, „dann kann sie mit ihren unglaublich wuchtigen Schlägen mit den ganz Großen mithalten."

Tennis hin, Tennis her, das Schöne für Julia Görges ist, dass sie ihren Sport über alles liebt. „Mir macht mein Beruf richtig Spaß, auch weil ich von der Welt viel sehe und Leute kennen lerne. Und dass ich, wenn ich den Job gut mache, auch schön Geld kriege, ist ja auch okay. Ich kann aber sagen, das Geld hat mich nicht dazu getrieben. Nee, nee! Ich finde einfach gut, was ich mache und bin glücklich und zufrieden dabei."

„Überhaupt", sagt Julia Görges dann noch, „das Wichtigste im Leben ist aber Gesundheit. Wenn ich nicht gesund bin, komme ich nicht gut durchs Leben." Drei wunderschön verzierte Armreifen am Handgelenk sollen ihr dabei helfen. „Das sind meine Glücksbringer für Sport, Gesundheit, das Leben, eben für alles. Die hab' ich von Oma, Mama und Papa, und die trag' ich immer und überall, auch nachts noch im Bett."

Eberhard Pino Mueller

publiziert: November 2010 - DTZ-Deutsche Tennis Zeitung

Skoo
Jun 12th, 2012, 07:11 PM
So she hit indeed the third fastest recorded serve of all time (http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20120612/ids-serve-speed-leaders_2256076_1978722) :)

Rovegun
Jun 13th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hi guys! I am BACK again after a month away... I had learned a lot the whole month to finish bachelor degree at my university and I have passed and am DONE!!! Now I am back into tennis as well.... it´s so nice to see the familiar faces again:D

SidTheKid
Jun 13th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Gratulujem k bakalárovi ;)

HowardH
Jun 13th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Congratulations. When is your graduation ceremony? And which bachelor's degree did you do?

HowardH
Jun 16th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Seems to be a German women's magazine, considering that the first question is about her favourite beauty product. When I have time I'll put it through an online translator to understand it more clearly.

joy division
Jun 16th, 2012, 05:48 AM
She`s advertising in a women`s journal here.
I was already wondering why Julia wasn`t yet discovered by the beauty industry so far.
Probably she will still have to win 2 or 3 bigger tournaments and then these guys will scramble to get her.

Vikapower
Jun 16th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Hi guys! I am BACK again after a month away... I had learned a lot the whole month to finish bachelor degree at my university and I have passed and am DONE!!! Now I am back into tennis as well.... it´s so nice to see the familiar faces again:D

:lol: Congratulations, have no idea what level that is in Universtity, the system is kind of (very) different there. :p

Vikapower
Jun 16th, 2012, 01:28 PM
She`s advertising in a women`s journal here.
I was already wondering why Julia wasn`t yet discovered by the beauty industry so far.
Probably she will still have to win 2 or 3 bigger tournaments and then these guys will scramble to get her.

Well Julia has always said she's not into this but you can see when she makes efforts how beautiful she is. :lol:

The photo is really nice (iconic like Howard said) but I'm not too sure about the lighting on her face.

sunsfuns
Jun 16th, 2012, 04:04 PM
What's the situation with Julia and Olympics? Will she be allowed to go?

silesia
Jun 16th, 2012, 04:27 PM
^^
Julia said:

"
Do you know if you will compete at the Olympics yet? David, Austria
The official nominations for the Olympics from the German Federation is on the 25th of June, so we will see, and I hope yes ;-)
"

http://www.wtatennis.com/blog/20120614/julia-goerges-bad-gastein-blog-thursday_2257191_2812334

mk27
Jun 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM
from Twitter

Lays Guerrero ‏@laysguerrero
@angelikf do you know if Goerges will be prejudiced with this rule? 'cause she don't fits in any of the DTB rules...i'm worried

Angelica Fratini ‏@angelikf
@laysguerrero at the moment she is out, still waiting for the final decision of the DTB( @JuliaGoergesFan can have better information :) )

sunsfuns
Jun 16th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks.

silesia
Jun 17th, 2012, 12:28 PM
We have confirmation that Julia will play the Olympics in singles !!!

:bounce: :cheer:

1)
Jörg Allmeroth ‏@Almighurt
@BarbaraRittner da bin ich nicht uptodate...nur zwei einzel-nominierungen damen, oder?

Barbara Rittner ‏@BarbaraRittner
@Almighurt nene...4...

2)
"Besser sieht es dagegen bei den Damen aus. "Angelique Kerber, Andrea Petkovic, Sabine Lisicki und Julia Görges haben die Kriterien erfüllt. Sie dürften spielen", sagte Eberhardt"

http://www.sport1.de/de/tennis/tennis_atp/newspage_574248.html

3)

Jörg Allmeroth ‏@Almighurt
Word from FedCup-Captain Barbara Rittner: All top German women at Olympics in London..Petko doubtful due to injury

Rovegun
Jun 22nd, 2012, 09:55 PM
Gratulujem k bakalárovi ;)

Congratulations. When is your graduation ceremony? And which bachelor's degree did you do?

thanks guys!

Howard: I am not sure, but the gruadation should be held in the beginning of September... I would name my bachelor degree like a marketing bachelor or something like that if you mean this....

Dispeker
Aug 10th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Are you implying that there're in a relationship?

I was just kidding. In my opinion Jill is really 'just' her best friend. Julia somewhere mentioned how important it is for her to have an honest person around on the tour. And that's Jill obviously. But of course, I don't know any more than you do or anyone else.

mk27
Aug 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Julia will be Germany's No. 2 before the US Open after Sabine has withdrawn from Dallas.

Dispeker
Sep 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
We should not forget that her GAME also has some serious flows though. I know I have raised this issue before, but it's not like her game has no weaknesses at all. Her BH can still be a mess, her serve is great yet sometimes inconsistent.

Nobody can deny the flaws Julia's game has, you mentioned her BH for example. I don't want to list them all here again ;) The thing is - as JD pointed out - that she is probably too old now to make significant improvements in her game. She will keep working on those weaknesses but we can't expect her or the team to completely fix them.
Despite all this, I am convinced that her overall game is good enough to compete with the best. Just remember the matches against Kvitova or Radwanska this year. Here she also proved that her game is suited for all surfaces and not just clay. Her serve, for instance, is a huge weapon on grass.

Concerning her ranking - Her position is fallacious. She should not cheat herself by what the rankings are telling right now. I also don`t think that she is "calculating" it.
Julia should be happy that she is still highly ranked and does not yet have to play the qualies at the big tournaments. She should absolutely hang in these matches.

Definitely and I really hope the penny has dropped now for her. As mk said, she's got a lot of points to defend in the beginning of 2013. It would thus be a good idea to start winning some matches now, I'd guess...

CillyUltra
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Julia plans to undergo a laser eye surgery in a few weeks.

"I hope, then I'm no longer such a mole." she joked.

http://diepresse.com/home/sport/tennis/1300959/Goerges-fordert-Asarenka-im-Endspiel-der-Generali-Open?from=gl.home_sport

Skoo
Oct 13th, 2012, 11:34 PM
:oh: It will be interesting to see if that will bring a major improvement, but it will be hard to tell, because she already seems to be making less UEs. And they are usually caused by poor movement, long swing, etc. But what does this mean: Görges hat in einigen Wochen übrigens noch einen Eingriff geplant? It translates something about an engagement :eek: It refers to the surgery, right? :) Well, cancel that, it is obviously about the surgery, they wouldn't mention it just like that, without further details :D

ryczy
Oct 14th, 2012, 12:59 AM
http://d1.dippic.com/i/00107/bg7i8yl3q32j_t.jpg (http://dippic.com/bg7i8yl3q32j)

0:15:mad:
0:30:mad:
trtrrr....
15:30
30:30
40:30
Gem :bounce:

Dispeker
Oct 26th, 2012, 06:03 PM
That advertising deal with Rado is really a huge one. It's quite remarkable that they chose Julia and not one of the established top players. Of course, her looks surely played a not unimportant role here but it can't be entirely explained by that alone. They really must have trust in her potential.

Btw, I think that watch Julia wears on court is a "D-Star" and it costs about €2000

joy division
Oct 26th, 2012, 07:39 PM
That advertising deal with Rado is really a huge one. It's quite remarkable that they chose Julia and not one of the established top players. Of course, her looks surely played a not unimportant role here but it can't be entirely explained by that alone. They really must have trust in her potential.

Btw, I think that watch Julia wears on court is a "D-Star" and it costs about €2000

Murray and Julia are obviously the only tennis players in this campaign.

Julia has it all to become some kind of icon if she would win one of the big tournaments in the future.
They are probably speculating on that and contracted her . Wise decision.;)

KatjaS
Oct 27th, 2012, 04:57 PM
That advertising deal with Rado is really a huge one. It's quite remarkable that they chose Julia and not one of the established top players.

Not to spoil the party, but that's what we thought about Katjes as well..

tennisfreak13
Oct 27th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Julia plans to undergo a laser eye surgery in a few weeks.

"I hope, then I'm no longer such a mole." she joked.

http://diepresse.com/home/sport/tennis/1300959/Goerges-fordert-Asarenka-im-Endspiel-der-Generali-Open?from=gl.home_sport

Dann wird ihr so ein Mist wie dieses Jahr bei den French Open ja hoffentlich nicht wieder passieren.

Dispeker
Dec 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Julia has a new Physio, Damian Prasad, who also worked (still working?) with Petrova and Ivanovic (http://www.julia-goerges.com). Her team gets more and more professional. :yeah:

mk27
Jul 19th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Her homepage has a new design

http://www.julia-goerges.com/

kadiHH
Jul 19th, 2013, 11:08 PM

It's very....pink. :lol:

KatjaS
Jul 20th, 2013, 06:57 AM
It's very....pink. :lol:

My first thought too. :lol:

Looks better than the old one though.

Ziva
Jul 20th, 2013, 09:17 AM

very "girly":lol:

kadiHH
Jul 20th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Talk about lost in translation: in the English version of her website she's lost 2 inches in height (5'9")! :lol:

KatjaS
Jul 20th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I think it's just that whoever is running her homepage (her management company most likely) hasn't updated parts of it in an eternity. It also says that she dreams of travelling to Australia, which by now she must have done 5 or 6 times. Maybe she was 5'9" when she first filled out that questionnaire and they updated it for the German one but were too lazy to convert it into imperial measurements. ;)

kadiHH
Jul 20th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I think it's just that whoever is running her homepage (her management company most likely) hasn't updated parts of it in an eternity. It also says that she dreams of travelling to Australia, which by now she must have done 5 or 6 times. Maybe she was 5'9" when she first filled out that questionnaire and they updated it for the German one but were too lazy to convert it into imperial measurements. ;)

Yes, either this or someone is severely math-challenged. I hope she doesn't pay these people much for their services. I haven't checked the new website but the old one claimed her favorite playing surface was grass (which might have been the case for a few days after winning a match on grass at some point in time).

Jimmie48
Jul 20th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Yes, either this or someone is severely math-challenged. I hope she doesn't pay these people much for their services. I haven't checked the new website but the old one claimed her favorite playing surface was grass (which might have been the case for a few days after winning a match on grass at some point in time).

That is because she still claims it is, she said that in an interview earlier this year as well. I found it hard to believe but apparently she really considers grass to be her favorite surface...which is odd for sure.

KatjaS
Jul 20th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Nah, it's been clay for quite some time now. Grass dates probably back to the time before she had actually played on it. :D

Ziva
Jul 20th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Nah, it's been clay for quite some time now. Grass dates probably back to the time before she had actually played on it. :D

Why not, you can like it even if you don't play best on it ;)

kadiHH
Jul 20th, 2013, 11:51 PM
That is because she still claims it is, she said that in an interview earlier this year as well. I found it hard to believe but apparently she really considers grass to be her favorite surface...which is odd for sure.

I remember an interview she gave where the reporter said something to the effect "You've stated that grass is your favorite surface to play on" and Julia looked at him like he had three heads and said "I did?????". Don't remember what year that was, though.:lol:

KatjaS
Jul 21st, 2013, 07:56 AM
Why not, you can like it even if you don't play best on it ;)

Well, yeah, theoretically, but then you probably wouldn't try to avoid playing on it as much as humanly possible. :D

Last year she went back to clay both between the FO and Wimbledon and between Wimbledon and the Olympics.

I remember an interview she gave where the reporter said something to the effect "You've stated that grass is your favorite surface to play on" and Julia looked at him like he had three heads and said "I did?????". Don't remember what year that was, though.:lol:

I think it was this year, but I don't remember which interview it was exactly.

CillyUltra
Nov 2nd, 2013, 08:05 AM
Happy quarter of a century, Julia! :smooch:

May all your dreams come true...

KatjaS
Nov 2nd, 2013, 08:16 AM
:bdaycake:

Happy Birthday!

kadiHH
Nov 2nd, 2013, 05:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/fEXiid8.jpg

Message on her website. Website is still...very pink. :lol:

KatjaS
Nov 4th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Julia-sighting by proXXy:

Anna-Lena Groenefeld ‏@Annagroenefeld
Movie time with @juliagoerges ! Some catching up to do! #offseason

Edit: Why in the world are you not allowed to say proxxy (with one x) on here?!

kadiHH
Nov 4th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Julia-sighting by proXXy:

Anna-Lena Groenefeld ‏@Annagroenefeld
Movie time with @juliagoerges ! Some catching up to do! #offseason

Hopefully ALG will tell Jule to tweet a review of the movie or something.

Edit: Why in the world are you not allowed to say proxxy (with one x) on here?!

You know, I had that very same problem just a couple of days ago. The only way I could spell it correctly was p r o x y to avoid the asterisks. I ended up using another word because that just looked too weird. I speculated that maybe that particular word causes coding errors or maybe it's a coders' joke.

KatjaS
Nov 5th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Hopefully ALG will tell Jule to tweet a review of the movie or something.

Doesn't look like it.

You know, I had that very same problem just a couple of days ago. The only way I could spell it correctly was p r o x y to avoid the asterisks. I ended up using another word because that just looked too weird. I speculated that maybe that particular word causes coding errors or maybe it's a coders' joke.

I know that phenomenon from words that "contain" obscenities in other forums, but pro xy?! It's probably really some kind of inside joke.

kadiHH
Nov 6th, 2013, 03:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qyIYFL3.jpg

I thought I would check in to see if Rado made any updates to Julia's profile, but alas, she's still 26 and playing on the ATP tour. If they wait another year before updating, they'll have the correct age, but her chances of playing on the men's tour????

KatjaS
Nov 6th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Maybe she'll distract her opponents.

RU90
Nov 10th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Maybe she'll distract her opponents.

:oh:

:haha:

KatjaS
May 28th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Just noticed this looking at CillyUltra's pictures: No more Katjes. http://s19.postimg.org/silowipdr/Jule2.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/silowipdr/)

In Strasbourg it was still there: http://i.imgur.com/9BYcsxjs.jpg (http://imgur.com/9BYcsxj)

Also gone from her list of sponsors on her homepage: http://i.imgur.com/L8QIpmps.png (http://imgur.com/L8QIpmp)

There used to be 8 sponsors there if my memory serves me right, but I have no idea what the ones which are now gone were.

I think she signed the Katjes deal shortly after winning Stuttgart, so it probably ran exactly 3 years and they were not interested in extending it.

kadiHH
May 29th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Just noticed this looking at CillyUltra's pictures: No more Katjes.

I think she signed the Katjes deal shortly after winning Stuttgart, so it probably ran exactly 3 years and they were not interested in extending it.

Good eye, Katja ;)

Not a good sign, losing sponsors, but I'm not surprised. I've never understood how an athlete could promote candy with a clear conscience (The idea of Sugarpova leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth....:tape:)

It probably didn't help that she recently stated that she had cut down on sugar in her diet, although maybe this is because her free promotional samples were cut off :lol:.