PDA

View Full Version : is it hard for you to criticise monica cos she was stabbed?

martinailuv
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:07 PM
erm i dunno how to talk about it without offending the monica fans but i will try. sorry if you get upset and i apologise as well if i say anything that perhaps may sound a bit unfair but i do want to be honest about my feelings. perhaps other posters feel the same way? :confused: i think monica is such a great champion and she has done loads of great things for women's tennis. the problem i have is that i don't think she's really a threat anymore and has no chance to win a slam but it's difficult to say that about her cos i know monica is the favourite of many people. for some people she has always been their favourite player. for other people she isn't their favourite but they feel a bit of guilt i suppose cos she was stabbed. i don't feel that way although i felt so sorry for her for being attacked and nearly losing her life. eventhough i sympathise i don't really feel it should be an excuse to not criticise her. i don't think she's worked very hard in the past two or three years. i think she's used her talent to win loads of big matches but her poor fitness has stopped her from winning a slam. it's been almost 7 years since she won the aus open but no one really says that cos they think it might upset others but no one minds saying how martina hasn't won since 1999. i don't think that's fair and yes martina's my fav but i still don't think it's fair that loads of other players can be criticised but people are careful about saying anything negative about monica. does anyone feel the same way?

anabel
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:13 PM
I think it's hard to criticise her cause she usually does not make things to be criticise.

But if i would have to criticise her in something i dont see why the stabbed thing would make influency.

irma
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:20 PM
no I have no problems to critise her, when I feel that need then I do it. I do with all players including my dear fav;)

calabar
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:43 PM
Regarding Monica,

I don't think she is immune to criticisms, however, the sympathy factor will always be a factor which can impair one's judgemment of her. She seems to be a genuinely nice human being regardless of the stabbing issue. I took issue with a lot of posters on another board who felt that the WTA was wrong to move the Championship to Germany BECAUSE OF MONICA. As it turns out, the move was a bad one economically, but the WTA was right to do so regardless of the feeling of ONE PLAYER out of over a 1000 players on the WTA tour.

Cal.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Hhhhyyyyeeeeeaaaahhhhh,

I will always feel bad. LOL! It's like someone died but you hated their guts, but you can't say it outloud or admit it to yourself out of sympathy and thinking people will be disgusted in you for it.

fhkung
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:46 PM
[it's been almost 7 years since she won the aus open but no one really says that cos they think it might upset others but no one minds saying how martina hasn't won since 1999.
NO ONE MINDS Martina hasnt won ....................
what the hell r u talking about..........
I DO.........AND I DO MIND VERY MUCH.....:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Gonzo Hates Me!
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:48 PM
no, it means no one has any guilt in *trashing* Hingis for not winning whereas people might feel guilty if they do that to Seles

mishar
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:51 PM
you haven't hung out on the internet much. people have been trashing Seles for years as much as anyone. I don't really see how you can criticize someone for not winning a slam, as you'd have to criticize 99% of tennis players.. but if it makes you happy, go right ahead

irma
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:52 PM
I admit that if she had won 30 grand slams, I had critised her more, but she probably would also not have had these weighttroubles then and that made me kind of connect with her. I just could understand wanting to go to the supermarket at 3:00 in the night so that she could avoid people, would have been something for me in my worst days except that we have no nightshops! (read that in her book and it made me cry)

Volcana
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:53 PM
The fact that Monica got stabbed doesn't influence my criticism one way or the other. Some of her fans go berserk at the least sign of criticism, and THAT does affect me. Monica's one of the mst fascinating players on the tour, but you can't analyze her game without someone going off because you implied she might lose a pound or two, or maybe other players have better groundstrokes. It's easier to write her off than deal with all the crap.

niratti
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:06 PM
there are only 2 things i don't like about Seles

1 when she grunts a bit too loud :)
2 when she play against my fav players :p

selesrules
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:20 PM
It's hard to criticize Monica because she's an :angel:

mistyblue
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by selesrules
It's hard to criticize Monica because she's an :angel:

Angels don't curse as much as Monica does on court... Good thing only lip readers can notice it.

Light-skinned Girl
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:50 PM
I *totally* agree with Volcana.

TeeRexx
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:38 PM
Some of Monica's fans really go psycho if you say or they yhink that you said the wrong thing about Monica.
You must never say, when Monica loses for instance, that someone stuck it to her or sliced her up or you will be sure to get it for a slip like that.

Actually, the TV commentators are the ones that are constantly dredging up that asassination attempt every damn time that she plays in a slm or any large tournament.
Just wait until the WTA championships begin, I am sure that some commentator will bring up the murder attempt at least 5 times.

disposablehero
Nov 5th, 2002, 02:25 AM
How about this question:

Have you ever heard an interviewer dare ask Steffi about what happened, or at least in the past 5 years have they? I didn't think so.

Steffica Greles
Nov 5th, 2002, 02:57 AM
As Monica's biggest fan, I have to totally agree with the person who created the thread. I didn't think they were in any way offensive.

Monica has missed many opportunities to win grandslams since her return. Her gravest mistake was to be unfit and looking almost - and let's face it - like she needed a serious diet in 1997, when women's tennis was undergoing changes and she needed to move with it.

Next, she failed to maintain her improved fitness that got her to what could well be her last ever grandslam final - RG 1998. That fortnight, she looked the fittest I've seen her since the stabbing. Yet by Wimbledon 1998, just two weeks later, she looked to be piling on the pounds once again. By the US Open of 1998, she was back to normal. Hingis ran her ragged in the quarters.

By 1999, Seles was looking past it, and did well in 2000 to re-establish herself as at least a dark horse - but it was too late by then.

Yes Monica has had a great deal to cope with, but as people we are all fallible and must take responsibility for our own lives. Being as unfit as she has looked even this year, she surely cannot have expected to win another slam.

nander
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:57 AM
What I think was really ironic is that the event ensured that Steffi gained the position that the crazy man (notice I didn't say fan) wanted. I always thought that somehow Monica's position should have been protected ..I am not sure what the WTA could have done though since she did not play for a long while after and indeed could not.
I know that many regard Steffi as the greatest ever and all that but I have always felt that ithat claim was tainted by the incident. I don't really know how and what she (Steffi) thought of it because I don't believe it was discussed with her at any serious level.
All that having been said, I have no prob,e criticising Monica

BRING IT
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Yes because I personally like her.
No because her game is passe'

irma
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by disposablehero
How about this question:

Have you ever heard an interviewer dare ask Steffi about what happened, or at least in the past 5 years have they? I didn't think so.

yeah that man from tennis (bodo ?) and steffi said that she talked with monica's mother about it!

Dawn Marie
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:27 AM
I find it hard, because she doesn't say much to warrant any criticism. The only beef or opinion that I have regarding her, is her fitness problem. So even though I admire Seles, the writing is also on the wall in my mind as well. I don't think she'll win another slam. So I have to agree with Steffie Geralas.

Other then my opinion about that, I find it hard to criticise Monica.

BasicTennis
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Awwww!!!!Improve your fitness Monicaaaaa!!!!!:angel:

bobcat
Nov 5th, 2002, 05:12 AM
I think people don't feel like criticizing Monica because we all know it'll just start another Steffi-Monica flame war. Who needs that?