From ITF's "This week":

The results from the latest
“European Sport Sponsoring 2002” study by SPORT+MARKT
AG has shown tennis to be the second favourite TV sport in
Europe. The growth in popularity of tennis has seen it overtake
Formula 1 to move into the second spot behind soccer as
one of the favourite televised sports in the five major European
countries of Germany, England, France, Italy and Spain."

Oh that's good, I can't stand Formula 1. Let's face it, the drivers don't determine it, it's decided by who's got the most money to improve their cars. It makes Curling looks thrilling. I read recently that ITV's viewing figures for Formula 1 this year are very low, and they may even only show highlights of some Grand Prixs next season.

Brian Stewart
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:28 PM
That's good news. I presume the emergence of some young European talent has something to do with it.

rated_next
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:41 PM
Good news :)

croat123
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:47 PM
great news :)

i'm sure its the same in croatia! we love both football and tennis!

joaco
Nov 5th, 2002, 12:57 AM
great news! hope it can bve applied to Argentina, cause we get like VERy few coverage around here, specially women

GoDominique
Nov 5th, 2002, 01:03 AM
In Germany, Formula 1 is still far ahead of tennis, despite the Ferrari domination.
Also Ski Jumping, Biathlon etc. have better ratings, so I'm a bit surprised about those numbers.

I would be really interested in Eurosport TV ratings, but they are hard to find. Does anyone have information about that ? How's tennis doing there ?

KoOlMaNsEaN
Nov 5th, 2002, 01:41 AM
:D

Kiwi_Boy
Nov 5th, 2002, 01:52 AM
Here (womens) tennis is not given that much coverage,and when it is its often on at a ludicrous hour which makes you stay up all night to watch it! :( .....but telstra digital tv has way more,but its hardly available in many areas.
if tennis here was given more air time more people here would like it :D

you guys are so damn lucky!!!!! :D

xin
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Very good news. I would be very happy if I get eurosport. It covers a lot of women tennis.
Unfortunately, not the case in Asia and America.:sad: :o :(

BasicTennis
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:42 AM
It's best & most exciting sport...and certainly deserves to be recognized all over the world.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 5th, 2002, 08:01 AM
GoDom, thats cos of Schumi ;)

And Eurosport still don't show enough tennis at weekends
leaving for meaningless sports as Moto GP :rolleyes:
Bikes, and Cycling

and in winter Skiing (which is ok) but Biathlon :rolleyes:
there isn't anything more boring as Biathlon.

gentenaire
Nov 5th, 2002, 08:05 AM
GoDom, in Germany it might be Formula 1, in Belgium cycling is still number 2. It's not because tennis is 2nd most popular overall, that it's 2nd in every European country. In fact, even if it doesn't come 2nd in a single country, it can still be 2nd overall.

GoDominique
Nov 5th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Tine, I know. ;) But then it's probably that all other sports are WAY behind football overall.

Biathlon and ski-jumping are only popular because Germans are successful. Sad but true. :rolleyes:

Nov 5th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Tennis is popular here. It's just a pity that we can't seem to get the message throught to the TV stations

Philip
Nov 5th, 2002, 12:38 PM
:D I couldn't live without Eurosport ;)

Williams Rulez
Nov 5th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Hurray! :D

bluepastures
Nov 5th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Yes, Tine, I would agree with you. For example, I remember reading somewhere that Grand Prix was only fifth in the UK (as cricket and both variants of rugby are quite popular here). But of course, hardly anyone else plays cricket in Europe, except Holland.
I suspect the situation in the USA would be totally different, with American-centric sports like Baseball, American Football and Basketball topping the ratings

Colin B
Nov 5th, 2002, 05:25 PM
The figures for Tennis viewing in Britain are, sadly biased towards one particular fortnight. The whole country goes Tennis crazy during Wimbledon. All of a sudden, everyone is an expert, the public courts are brimming with future Wimbledon Champions and the BBC can't squeeze enough of it into the schedule. Then after the final ball has been hit, 95% of the country ignores Tennis until the following June!

Skysports and Eurosport do their best to cover the slams and there's the occasional match from either ATP or WTA tournaments but no weekly 'magazine' style program for Tennis with round-ups of both tours.

If you look at the amount of coverage given to Tennis compared to Football, Cricket, Horse-Racing, Golf and even Snooker (!!), you'll see we do pretty badly.

Let's hope this report changes all that!

Frau Antje
Nov 5th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by bluepastures
From ITF's "This week":

The results from the latest
“European Sport Sponsoring 2002” study by SPORT+MARKT
AG ...

lol, it's the company I'm working for :D

Cassius
Nov 5th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Well, this is good news for tennis, but lets face facts, in Europe NO sport will topple football as the favourite sport, so the be in second place is good (esp. being in front of F1).

ghosts
Nov 5th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Finally :)