PDA

View Full Version : What the hell happened in Spain?

Jakeev
Nov 4th, 2002, 07:36 PM
When i left town on Friday, I thought I had read that Magui Serna would be playing in the FedCup on Sat.

When I came home today, not only did I find out that Slovakia had won (and congrats to them to win their first title) I discovered Aranxta had lost the deciding match.

What the hell happened there? I thought Aranxta was injured. Did Spain not think Magui had a chance against Janette Husarova?

So I keep in my mindset that Spain committed a big-time blunder, can somebody give me the scoop about what happened?

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 4th, 2002, 07:47 PM
arantxa only played to have the same fed cup finals played as conchita :rolleyes:

irma
Nov 4th, 2002, 07:51 PM
I already read before that asv would not play on saturday, but might play on sunday again.
so I guess that's what happened

I thought that was not allowed though? :confused:

Serendy Willick
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:04 PM
They let Serna take over for ASV on the day before the deciding match, but then they let an injured ASV get stomped by Husarova on Sunday. I dont know why they didnt let Magui play. Congrats to Slovakia BTW.

ASV
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:07 PM
magui would have lost either way.

arantxa thought she could play, but was too injured.

janette would haev beat her anyway.

raquel
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by kkovafan
arantxa only played to have the same fed cup finals played as conchita :rolleyes:
for a start, we don't know that is what happened. anyway, arantxa desevres to share that record, as without arantxa, conchita would not have the record and vice versa. magui would have been beaten anyway. i just think it was terrible that arantxa was heckled considering she has won the more olympic medals than any other spaniard, won more fed cup matches than anyone ever and has won two hopman cups for spain.

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:13 PM
raquel the h2h magui v husarova is 3-0 for Magüi
And arantxa lost 2 times this year and easy with Husarova in Sarasota and Acapulco.

raquel
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:16 PM
And arantxa lost 2 times this year and easy with Husarova in Sarasota and Acapulco.
ok i just trying to salvage something from this! my heart wants arantxa to do well, but my head says maybe she shouldn't have played, but whatever happened, arantxa didnt deserve to be reduced to tears

martinailuv
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:45 PM
rotflmao! that's what my mum said. :o

JonBcn
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:46 PM

What are you talking about? This is their head to head:

2002 Indian Wells Hard (O) 64 Janette HUSAROVA 3-6 3-6
2002 Los Angeles Hard (O) 64 Janette HUSAROVA 6-4 1-6 3-6

And the loss in Acapulco was three sets. Theres no need to rewrite history just to illustrate your dislike of Arantxa.

tennischick
Nov 5th, 2002, 01:34 AM
not to mention the fact that Husarova actually won BOTH of her matches, and quite decisively. in fact, she should take almost full credit for the Fed Cup victory. hats off to her...;) ;)

spiceboy
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Why are you so sure Janette would have beaten Magui or Vivi???

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Jonbcn:

Janette Husarova (SVK) vs. Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP)
2002-02-25 Acapulco Clay R16 Janette Husarova (SVK) 3-6 6-2 6-3
2002-04-01 Sarasota Clay R32 Janette Husarova (SVK) 6-4 6-1

The match was in 3 sets but las 2 easy for Husarova.Y lo del h2h de Magui lo dijo el comentarista de la 2 pero ya veo que es mentira :o

Monica_Rules
Nov 5th, 2002, 03:43 PM
OMG did anyone else she it when Aranxta cried after that 'fan' shouted from the stands.It was so sad to see!