PDA

View Full Version : conchita's rise up the rankings

cooolconchita
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:53 PM
has anyone else noticed how fast conchi will speed up the ranking in 2003? :bounce:

the girl has virtually no points to defend until october, and she is ranked currently at 35! traditionally, conchita earns the bulk of her points from january to july, so how far do you think she can go? i think top 15 should be about right, but i would love her to get back into the top ten. i think she has proved by her performances over the last couple of weeks, that she can compete with the big girls! :kiss:

Helen Lawson
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Yes, I have been following her rankings. If she has a reasonably good Australian season and does well during the clay season, she can easily get back into the Top 20. I hope she does not have another injury. She can and does play a lot of tournaments, which helps her.

cooolconchita
Nov 4th, 2002, 01:10 PM
the australian should be a good tourny for conchi - and the good thing is that she will probably be seeded - which virtually guarantees a third round place!

bee
Nov 4th, 2002, 01:33 PM
EUROSPORT <After her Fedcup defeat>

"I am very disappointed, I was so tired out there," 1994 Wimbledon champion Martinez said. "Then at the end of the second set, she had all the momentum."

Martinez also cast doubt on whether she would be back to play for Spain in next year's competition.

"I have no idea. All I know now is that I don't have to play tomorrow, and I am on holiday," she said.

Next year... Conchita will rule

:D :D :D :D :bounce: :bounce: :D :D :D :D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :D :D :D :D :bounce: :D :D :D :D

Philip
Nov 4th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Conchita and Anna should get back atleast top20 next year :)

Helen Lawson
Nov 4th, 2002, 01:51 PM
There are no guarantees with Conchita, seeded or not! She cheats death last year in Australia when Round 1 opponent Serena pulls out, and gets past fill-in Lina, who then was ranked well and all. So she has "Serena's draw" what luck, but then bombs out in the second round to Asa!

But her play seems much improved the last few months and some increased confidence. I have high hopes for her next January!

Gallofa
Nov 4th, 2002, 02:13 PM
You never know with Conchita, it's all in the momentum, she gets herself going, the sky is the limit, she loses a couple of bad ones, she'll go nowhere in 2003.

Having said that, I have always said she could be back, she has the tennis, her results in these last few weeks, in surfaces that are not her best, prove it, I am hoping for a good 2003, but then again, I always do ;)

Fingers crossed :D

fhkung
Nov 4th, 2002, 06:08 PM
another Wimbledon title maybe.......;)
well, good luck to her anyway.........
better get her ranking as high as possible
so by the time she reaches Olympics,
she wont be too far off from the seeds.....

JonBcn
Nov 4th, 2002, 06:51 PM
I've been really impressed with conchita recently. I saw her in Zurich, where admittedly she played crap during her semi final loss, but hd done brilliantly to get there. Yesterday here in gran Canaria she played top ten tennis for a set and three quarters, before just losing. And her first rubber against Husarova was impeccable. I think she can make the top twenty again, but maybe only just...

niratti
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:11 PM
she should go back to top 15 at least

cooolconchita
Nov 5th, 2002, 01:07 PM
i think the conchita of now and the conchita of january are two different people. :)

after 6 months out of the tour, the game moved on, and it has taken conchi nearly a yera to fully catch up, but now she has, and expect her to speed up the ranking in a town near you! :kiss:

King Aaron
Nov 5th, 2002, 01:54 PM
I think Conchi is back now. Really played well these past weeks. Hopefully she'll get a good season next year!

baleineau
Nov 5th, 2002, 07:45 PM
i think she has improved her fitness a lot. she's spent all year playing (and mostly losing) tight 3 set matches in the second round of tournaments. I think she realises that if she wants to win these matches, she has to get fitter. And she has.

Conchi has the sort of game (strokes) that work wonders when she has the time to hit the ball. Always been the case. This is why she plays better on slow surfaces. The problem since bein injured was that she was initially too slow on clay and could be outhit. If she takes herself to the slower rebound ace and clay next year with her new confidence, I see every reason for her to improve on her performance on these surfaces compared with 01 and 02, therefore she'll add points and rise.

The only points she really has to defend are at Wimbledon where she earned about 100 points. But really, there's barely anything to defend until then. :)

:bounce:

Conchi will be top-20 by March/April, and top-15 by June in my estimation :bounce: