PDA

View Full Version : Type 2 diabetes in newly diagnosed 'can be reversed' (BBC)

Pureracket
Jun 24th, 2011, 10:17 PM
An extreme eight-week diet of 600 calories a day can reverse Type 2 diabetes in people newly diagnosed with the disease, says a Diabetologia study.

Newcastle University researchers found the low-calorie diet reduced fat levels in the pancreas and liver, which helped insulin production return to normal.

Seven out of 11 people studied were free of diabetes three months later, say findings published in the journal.

More research is needed to see whether the reversal is permanent, say experts.
The 11 participants in the study were all diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes within the previous four years.
more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13887909

Awesome development, if confirmed!

eck
Jun 24th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Sounds great but the amount of people participating is way too low to make this conclusion. :shrug:

*Nefertiti*
Jun 25th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I think it is more about the pre diabetic patients. People who have a family history but still not fully diagnosed as diabetics.

pov
Jun 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Glad to see the mainstream "experts" are catching up with what has long been known by others.

brickhousesupporter
Jun 26th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I think it is more about the pre diabetic patients. People who have a family history but still not fully diagnosed as diabetics.
This. Once you beta cells stop producing insulin, they don't come back. Islet transplantation shows some promise, but it is still in its infancy.

Kart
Jun 26th, 2011, 05:10 PM
This is not really a huge surprise.

Everybody knows that weight loss is a cure for some type 2 diabetics.

Uranus
Jun 26th, 2011, 05:21 PM
This. Once you beta cells stop producing insulin, they don't come back. Islet transplantation shows some promise, but it is still in its infancy.
In type 2 diabetes, beta cells keep producing insulin. The biggest problem is insulin can't be used by organs. It's 80% linked to obesity and many patients are in some 'prediabetic state' (metabolic syndrome) before possibly developing type 2 diabetes. Losing weight can of course help erase lots of symptoms especially in the early stages of the disease and, of course, before.

brickhousesupporter
Jun 26th, 2011, 06:35 PM
In type 2 diabetes, beta cells keep producing insulin. The biggest problem is insulin can't be used by organs. It's 80% linked to obesity and many patients are in some 'prediabetic state' (metabolic syndrome) before possibly developing type 2 diabetes. Losing weight can of course help erase lots of symptoms especially in the early stages of the disease and, of course, before.
I understand that, and maybe I should have been more clear with my this..........After the this, I was talking about advances in treatment of diabetes in general. In type 2 the insulin receptor sensitivity is dimished and the body can't process sugars and carbs correctly. i don't think a cure is anywhere in the horizon right now.

Uranus
Jun 26th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Actually pancreatic transplantation is a possible treatment for type 1 diabetes in which beta cells get destructed ;).

@ the OP: Type 2 diabetes can only be reversed in early or pre stages thanks to better alimentation and physical activity. Drugs are used to control the disease, not to cure it.