PDA

View Full Version : Who will the crowd support more? Monica or Lindsay?

Dawn Marie
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:19 AM
I think this will be a great match, and I am looking forward to it. I was thinking though, will the crowd support be for more the Cali chick? Or more so for the sentimental favorite? I actually have no idea. If I HAD to place a bet, I would have to go with Seles.

A friend of mine told me that the US Open crowd was the loudest she had ever heard, when Monica faught back to win her match against Barbara Swartz.

I can't wait for this match!:):wavey:

Gandalf
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:20 AM
I think Monica, because in the LA final last year the crowd was mostly for her. Although she's not as clearly the underdog as she was then, so things might be pretty even.

SM
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Davenport better watch out. Seles will be rejuvenated and whenever she comes back from a break she sizzles. Go seles, im dure the crowd will be behind her more.

anabel
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Seles

ms_nut
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Seles ofcourse.Remember 1997 final Toshiba classic Seles saved a mp and won 5-7,7-5,6-4 the crowd was cheering for her loudly.

irma
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:48 AM
monica, only already that she couldn't play last year!

Williams Rulez
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Lindsay - home crowd

TeeRexx
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Monica - The sob story and this is Hollywood.

Jarrett
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by irma
monica, only already that she couldn't play last year!

I think he was talking about Monica in the final of the LA Tier II tournament last year during the summer. I hope Monica gets the most support!

what_about_me
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:53 AM
I hope Monica wins;)

Philip
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Monica, wherever she goes in the US normally the crowd go with her, i mean i seem to remember her playing in LA last year against Serena, she something like, "it was like the whole of New York was cheering her on out there"

Dunno why she said New York tho lol.
Anyway, Monica will have my cheers, and i'm in England ;)

Also, everyone likes the underdog, even if monica is seeded above linds, for me she still seems the underdog :o

calabar
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Here's an even tougher question, given the fact that BOTH Venus and Serena grew up on Compton, a few miles away from LA, should they meet in the finals, who would get the "home field" advantage?

irma
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:11 PM
probarly venus, second seeds are often more loved as topseeds!

Maajken
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Euhm..is this thread about venus and serena? I think not.

Imo Lindsay will have the advantage. She's practically playing at home.

i-girl
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:21 PM
last time they played in California, I thought the crowd was equally divided. I love Monica, but I'll support Lindsay.

CanadianBoy21
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Angelica, is there are law that states u can't get a bit off topic?

I say Venus would get the advantage

Monica will get it against Lindsay.

Angelica, also, is there a law for being wrong, because u are, Lindsay will not have the advantage, even playing at home, people just like Monica for being who she is.

Maajken
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Uh please, did i say that whatever i stated was the undeniable truth? Nope.

Dont feel so attacked all the time. This is just a message board :rolleyes:

callado
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Seles. Most people don't even know who Davenport is, even in LA.

AjdeNate!
Nov 4th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
Monica - The sob story and this is Hollywood.

Wow, I see someone has been regularly attending sensitivity meetings.

Tratree
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by callado
Seles. Most people don't even know who Davenport is, even in LA.

Wrong....Davenport is a crowd favorite in Southern California and is always well-supported.

vw43
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Tratree

Wrong....Davenport is a crowd favorite in Southern California and is always well-supported.

I agree :)

earthcrystal
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:59 PM
I've attended the Manhattan Beach tourney every year since 97. (Except this year) Whenever they've played Monica has always been more supported than Lindsay. Not even. Not even close. So if you were one of those who thought that, get your ears checked.

Funny true story: in '98 after beating Monica in the SF (I think) the idiot with the microphone asked Lindsay:
"So how does it feel to play with your home crowd support?" (paraphrasing)

Lindsay just had to laugh...! I can't remember her exact response, but it was an acknowledgement that the crowd was not behind her, but enthusiastically supporting Monica. This elicited a somewhat embarrassed titter from the crowd. What I do remember is what she said next: "But that's okay, when I'm not playing her, I root for Monica too." (The crowd then roared with cheers and applause). Very classy of Lindsay- and I liked her much more from that day on. (Story = answer to the question posed in this thread, for those that need it spelled out.)

Aside To Dinobreath: Sob story? That rates right up there with your top ten most pathetic posts of all time. What a loser!

Kiwi_Boy
Nov 4th, 2002, 06:06 PM
I think the majority,monica;but,lindsay will also have strong support.

vw43
Nov 4th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by earthcrystal
I've attended the Manhattan Beach tourney nearly every year since 97. (Except this year) Whenever they've played Monica has always been more supported than Lindsay. Not even. Not even close. So if you were one of those who thought that, get your ears checked.

Funny true story: in '98 after beating Monica in the SF (I think) the idiot with the microphone asked Lindsay:
"So how does it feel to play with your home crowd support?" (paraphrasing)

Lindsay just had to laugh...! I can't remember her exact response, but it was an acknowledgement that the crowd was not behind her, but enthusiastically supporting Monica. This elicited a somewhat embarrassed titter from the crowd. What I do remember is what she said next: "But that's okay, when I'm not playing her, I root for Monica too." (The crowd then roared with cheers and applause. Very classy of Lindsay- and I liked her much more since that day. But it does go right to the point of this thread, don't ya think?

Aside To Dinobreath: Sob story? That rates right up there with your top ten most pathetic posts of all time. What a loser!

hmm..Okay. I've never been to any Southern California tourneys..I've seen them on television and it seemed as if Lindsay was supported and I just assumed since she was from the area, she would be a fave.

But being as you've been several times, I'll take your word for it :)

earthcrystal
Nov 4th, 2002, 06:16 PM
vw43, you quoted my post while I was editing it..so it's a slightly different version now! ;)

I want to add that Linds does get some support, sure. And I think she endeared herself to alot of Monica fans that night I referred to. But Monica was the overwhelming crowd fave there, (as she is nearly everywhere). Just to clarify.

hingis-seles
Nov 4th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Lindsay once said,"A part of me wants to see Monica win and I'm the one who has to play her."

Seles all the way....she'll be cheered by me and I'm in Pakistan.

Layla
Nov 4th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by earthcrystal

What I do remember is what she said next: "But that's okay, when I'm not playing her, I root for Monica too."

Hehe, that's a beautiful response. :) Just makes me love her even more.

I think Monica might have more support in California (I believe Earthcrystal's accounts), but Lindsay will have mine. ;) Actually, I love Monica dearly so I'll be torn, but I'll cheer for Lindsay. May they both play a wonderful match. I'm really looking forward to it, I hope they get to show it on Eurosport.

Lindsayfan
Nov 4th, 2002, 07:31 PM
usually they would have supported Monica,cos one year ago Monica was going to lose to Lindsay so americans support always the underdog.but now things r very different cos Lindsay comes out from a terrible year and tennis-fans know it so i think they'll support Lindsay,or whatever the one who's losing.

Venus Forever
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Defintely Monica!!

martinailuv
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:53 PM
monica of course. she is the favourite of most people.