PDA

View Full Version : Rafter Hints At Comeback!

go hingis
Nov 4th, 2002, 04:56 AM
Hope he comes back!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/Sport/story_3886.asp

Rafter hints at comeback

Pat Rafter has given his strongest indication yet that he may resume his stalled tennis career.

Rafter helped launch John Newcombe's autobiography in Sydney and conceded he was close to deciding whether or not to launch a comeback in the New Year.

Rafter hasn't played since last year's Davis Cup final loss to France but has received the all-clear from doctors to start playing competitively again.

"The stress fracture in my arm has settled down. I had that tested and the body seems to be in pretty good shape at the moment," Rafter said.

"That doesn't mean it wouldn't break down again."

Interestingly, Rafter said any comeback, if he made one, would be for at least two years.

Rafter, the one-time world No.1 and two-time grand slam champion, admitted to feeling pressure from the Australian public to pick up the racquet.

But ultimately he would make the final decision.

A Davis Cup triumph and a Wimbledon title, after two close calls, remain the biggest gaps in the 29-year-old's glittering curriculum vitae.

©AAP 2002

BasicTennis
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Damn! I hope he's man enough to stick to his original decision.:rolleyes:

disposablehero
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Well, as I recall he hedged then and said it may not be a permanent retirement.

BasicTennis
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:14 AM
he's acting like a lady.

Experimentee
Nov 4th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Theres nothing in there that strongly suggests a comeback. Hes said many times that he enjoys life without tennis, and now that he has a newborn baby I really dont think he'll come back. He should stop keeping peoples hopes up though

Crazy Canuck
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:52 AM
You say "acting like a lady", as if this is an insult.

If you are going to use words refering to women, as insults - perhaps a WOMENS tennis board, isn't the place for you?

Nov 4th, 2002, 09:13 AM
I still don't think he will come back. He didn't really hint at a comeback at all. This is just the media trying to make a story out of nothing

Crazy Canuck
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:29 AM
The media makes up a new comeback plan for Pat, every other month or so ;)

BasicTennis
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Rebecca
You say "acting like a lady", as if this is an insult.

If you are going to use words refering to women, as insults - perhaps a WOMENS tennis board, isn't the place for you?

this is an insult if referred to a MAN but an appreciation to ladies if you say they're lady-like.:kiss: no offense meant for the ladies but generally ladies change decisions frequently.:rolleyes:

schnyder lover
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:34 AM
i agree with rebecca (oh my god!), but even if you ignore the sexist nature of it, you are just wrong. pat never retired from the game, he said he wanted some time off and then he would re-evaluate his options. you are no position to criticise him, it is his life, not yours. he can take as much time off as he wants. he has been plagued by injuries his whole career and he wanted to give the body a break. he wanted to experience something different from tennis whie aswell, and see if he could find his passion again - and he should take as much time as he wants to come back.

irma
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:38 AM
what's that for a biased comment :rolleyes:

we live not in the middle centuries :o

Crazy Canuck
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:38 AM
BasicTennis - you'll have to forgive me, but comments as such ignite the femi-nazi within ;)

BasicTennis
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:42 AM
I give in....can't live without ladies eh.:sad:

gentenaire
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Schnyder lover is right, Pat never said he was retiring for good when he stopped playing. Even then he hinted that he might come back.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:10 AM
I read an exact same report as this about 4 months ago :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when he walks onto court.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Yes TBE - 4 months ago, and 6 months ago, and let's not forget the one from 2 months ago :D

schnyder lover
Nov 4th, 2002, 10:46 AM
yes, i not saying he is going to come back, but it his right - he should be allowed to speculate for as long as he wants. it is his life.

Gandalf
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:13 AM
I really hope he comes back, but I doubt it.

Penne1
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Ummm John Newcombe released another autobiography 4 months ago did he??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bee
Nov 4th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Men's tennis... Really need somebody like him. :)

DutchieGirl
Nov 4th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Tine
Schnyder lover is right, Pat never said he was retiring for good when he stopped playing. Even then he hinted that he might come back.

Yup, again, Pat never said he was permanantly retiring... so at least get your facts right Basic Tennis!

Aloysius
Nov 4th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Begone with him, I say. He was a great champion and bigger things beckon him. Even if he does comes back, it'll only be for a few more years and he may not be back to where he once was. It took him 12 years to get to the standard that he was. Letting it all go for a year, and he'll find it very hard to catch up again. Priorities will change a person.

fleemke³
Nov 4th, 2002, 02:10 PM
I hope he does come back ... :)