PDA

View Full Version : Startling Revelation: Half of the British are Germans! ?

bulava
Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Achtung! Mein Gott! The revelation that millions of Brits have German blood coursing through our veins comes as a shock, well, as big as the Blitz.

Leading geneticists and archaeologists have shown that we have been cousins of the Teutons since the dawn of time — ever since the fifth and sixth centuries, in fact.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2006584/Half-Britons-German-blood--time-embrace-inner-Jerry.html

Specter
Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Duh.

Anglo-Saxon

The Benedictine monk, Bede, writing in the early 8th century, identified the English as the descendants of three Germanic tribes:

* The Angles, who may have come from Angeln (in modern Germany); Bede wrote that their whole nation came to Britain, leaving their former land empty. The name England (Old English: Engla land or Ængla land) originates from this tribe.
* The Saxons, from Lower Saxony (in modern Germany; German: Niedersachsen) and the Low Countries.
* The Jutes, possibly from the Jutland peninsula (in modern Denmark; Danish: Jylland).

Isn't this common knowledge? :confused:

Monica_Rules
Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Kind of a give away that Enlgish is a Germanic language

As a welsh person though i am safe in the knowledge that i'm more celt than german

bulava
Jun 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Isn't this common knowledge? :confused:
Not necessarily and it's not that easy to understand (thousands of years). Human genetic migration patterns as well as their movement over the period of time are amazing to learn. Here's the snapshot of it in a nutshell:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0603/feature2/map.html

Sam L
Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
And to top it all off they handed the Crown to House of Hanover and it was all downhill from there. :rolleyes:

miffedmax
Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:11 PM
While I'd agree the specifics are interesting, it's hardly a surprise. A lot of Vikings and Normans would, I think, be pretty much Germanic, wouldn't they?

I don't know enough about genetics to know if a Dutch person and a Dane are all that genetically different.

*JR*
Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
While I'd agree the specifics are interesting, it's hardly a surprise. A lot of Vikings and Normans would, I think, be pretty much Germanic, wouldn't they?

Maybe Lena is really an Aryan. :p

A Magicman
Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:44 PM
And to top it all off they handed the Crown to House of Hanover and it was all downhill from there. :rolleyes:

http://www.hansestadt-uelzen.de/hanbilder/hannwappen.jpg

Empire of the Sun :rocker2:

miffedmax
Jun 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Maybe Lena is really an Aryan. :p

It's an interesting question. We know from ancient Greece that goddesses and humans can have offspring, but would a goddess have DNA at all?

strike86
Jun 23rd, 2011, 03:37 AM
Germanic blood is all over the place, apparently more Americans have German ancestry than Irish, and France was named after a Germanic tribe called the Franks (they would not admit it).

one researcher a few years ago claimed that most Britons (regardless if English, Welsh, Scots, and Northern Irish), were genetically closest to people in Northern Spain esp Basques, just that the English and Scots have got a little bit more Germanic blood (Angles, Jutes Saxons, Vikings) etc these groups arrived in small groups but cultrally dominated and intermarrying introducing the English language and other Germanic cultral stuff etc.

Quite a long complex issue, that could rage all day.
i

Milito22
Jun 23rd, 2011, 03:46 AM
brabarians :shrug:

strike86
Jun 23rd, 2011, 03:47 AM
Not necessarily and it's not that easy to understand (thousands of years). Human genetic migration patterns as well as their movement over the period of time are amazing to learn. Here's the snapshot of it in a nutshell:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0603/feature2/map.html

Wise words.

jefrilibra
Jun 23rd, 2011, 04:22 AM
That explains Camilla Parker Bowles!

j/k lol!

bulava
Jun 23rd, 2011, 07:06 AM
Wise words.
Thank you. I started to dig more about "Continental Drift" due to the forces of Sun & Moon on the Earth. This itself is hugely a complex phenomenon, started some 200 million years ago. But the Human population is more or less about 100,000 years old so I started to wonder on migration patterns; what have would happened if Humans never had that Drift!? Well, continents are drifting away at the rate of 2 cm per year which means that people were/are always on the move - which also holds true in case of Human migration! :)

Off Topic: What happens in future, say after 200 million years? Here's a glimpse:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap001002.html

Halardfan
Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
Germanic blood is all over the place, apparently more Americans have German ancestry than Irish, and France was named after a Germanic tribe called the Franks (they would not admit it).

one researcher a few years ago claimed that most Britons (regardless if English, Welsh, Scots, and Northern Irish), were genetically closest to people in Northern Spain esp Basques, just that the English and Scots have got a little bit more Germanic blood (Angles, Jutes Saxons, Vikings) etc these groups arrived in small groups but cultrally dominated and intermarrying introducing the English language and other Germanic cultral stuff etc.

Quite a long complex issue, that could rage all day.
i

That's pretty much what I heard, that the Anglo-Saxon thing was hugely important culturally but not as important genetically. That there are more people of Celtic descent in certain parts of England than in certain parts of Scotland.

All of which makes the cliched view (a noble Celtic bond between Ireland Scotland and Wales, against those dastardly Anglo-Saxon English) seem a bit silly.

miffedmax
Jun 23rd, 2011, 01:16 PM
Face it. You Brits are almost as mongrelized as us Yanks.

Halardfan
Jun 23rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Face it. You Brits are almost as mongrelized as us Yanks.

Indeed but it's a positive virtue.

miffedmax
Jun 23rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
True.

matthias
Jun 23rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
omg - the suicide´s will rise in the UK now

bulava
Jun 23rd, 2011, 07:56 PM
omg - the suicide´s will rise in the UK now
Interesting proposition :eek:

miffedmax
Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:08 PM
Why? European Cup isn't until next year.