PDA

View Full Version : Serena: "I usually don't cry in joy, I don't understand it, but it's been so hard."

sluggahjells
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:26 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f149/jerell4jesus/Picture58-1.png
After the match, in addition......

"I love tennis, to be able to come back at Wimbledon, is fantastic.....I never cried with joy for anything."

Oh it was a delight to see, even for I guess Serena haters.

For the neutral observer, it was nice.

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM
yeah baby yeah! Welcome back, Serena! :bounce:

vixter
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM
A delight for sure! I love her, I think she is amazing.

tennnisfannn
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:30 PM
I don't know whether to be concerned or not, i am so used to serena saying she is here to win, to hear her say all she wanted to do was win one match is disconcerting. Hopefully she measn she is only investing emotionally in only one match at time.

Pops Maellard
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM
Queen Ree. :bowdown: I wish certain other favourites of mine would show the same passion for the game.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM
So hard Serena.:sobbing:

sluggahjells
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:32 PM
I don't know whether to be concerned or not, i am so used to serena saying she is here to win, to hear her say all she wanted to do was win one match is disconcerting. Hopefully she measn she is only investing emotionally in only one match at time.

Exactly what she means indeed. From almost on her death bed, to being able to play is just a blessing.

VishaalMaria
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:34 PM
I think the one match is thing just mini goals. Her next goal is obviously to win another match and she's slowly working her way to retaining her title.

I think her tears really show what she's been through in the last 12 months. I'm so happy and privleged to see her on a tennis court competing.

shoryuken
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:34 PM
The champion mentality is still there but the thing is she almost died and probably didn't think she'd play again.

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:35 PM
She just means that she knows now not to look too far ahead. One match at a time.

Mikey.
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:35 PM
Felt sorry for her. :tears:

Raiden
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:37 PM
She probably wouldn't have cried if the match was over in two easy sets.

That second set loss affected her emotionally: she was clearly upset at the end of that set (she literally screamed harder than Rezai when Rezai converted the setpoint).

sluggahjells
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:39 PM

That second set changed her: she was clearly upset when the score went 1 set each (she literally screamed harder than Rezai when Rezai converted the setpoint).

Ehhh, okay :rolleyes:

Polikarpov
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:40 PM
It was so great to see how a single match could mean so much to a champion like Serena.

JN
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:44 PM
DAMN, I LOVE that woman!!! http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt209/msparrie/smiley%20faces/smiley%20face%20extras/cry-blow-nose.gif

After all that Serena's gone thru, everything she said was apropos.

Jaco·He
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:45 PM
http://bbs.eachtennis.com/attachments/month_1106/1106212244d6c756b7218d2cf8.jpg

BlueTrees
Serena. :awww: :hug:

Aravane's had tough times too. Great to see them both play a good match.

Coconut91

It is pretty understandable that she's emotional even if she just won a first round match. Considering all she's been through she must really appreciate every win. But that doesn't mean she doesn't want to win the title, nor that she isn't capable of it. Keep in mind it's Serena :cool:

Bijoux0021
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:46 PM
She didn't think she would play tennis again. So for her to comeback and win a match was a very big deal.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM

That second set loss affected her emotionally: she was clearly upset at the end of that set (she literally screamed harder than Rezai when Rezai converted the setpoint).

:weirdo:

Chip.
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
:worship: fucking BOW.

Love her even more as time goes on :inlove:

P3
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:50 PM
Serena Williams wins in return to Wimbledon

By STEPHEN WILSON
AP Sports Writer

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) Returning to Grand Slam tennis after a year out with health problems, Serena Williams (http://sports.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/players.asp?id=168339&fn=Serena&ln=Williams&tour=wta) defeated France's Arvane Rezai 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 at Wimbledon - then burst into tears.
After serving her 13th ace to close the match, Williams buried her face in her towel and sobbed from her courtside chair. She was still crying as she walked off the court.
The four-time champion opened play Tuesday at the All England Club. She fought through a mid-match slump before asserting command in the third set with her big serve and powerful groundstrokes.
That was enough to show why she is still considered a title favorite despite her long layoff after two foot operations and blood clots in her lungs.

Read more: http://sports.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/story.asp?i=20110621101341893905208#ixzz1PvEuSxJH

Mightymirza
Shes back ;) Will be very tough to beat on grass!

friendsita
I want to hug her...
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln58nnvqqw1qcxh43o1_400.gif
Welcome back Queen!

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:51 PM
She almost died. For her to come back and win at least one match at Wimbledon means a lot. It's amazing to see. I'm extremely happy to have her back. Aravane had her rough times this year too, with her father. She played a good match so hopefully she can keep it up for a while, not a big fan of Aravane but good luck anyway.

sluggahjells
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:54 PM
http://bbs.eachtennis.com/attachments/month_1106/1106212244d6c756b7218d2cf8.jpg

That was quite speedy.

Melly Flew Us
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:55 PM
baby sister :hug:

Kunal
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:19 PM
I think her tears really show what she's been through in the last 12 months. I'm so happy and privleged to see her on a tennis court competing.

Amen

kwilliams
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:25 PM
Well done, Serena! You have a hell of a lot to be proud of!

The Witch-king
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:28 PM
Love the photo of her hand on her chest.

But I hate her nails.

matty
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:29 PM
It was so great to see how a single match could mean so much to a champion like Serena.

:)

Love this woman--go Serena! :worship:

Annie.
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:30 PM

http://i52.tinypic.com/2w4lg08.gif

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:31 PM

love it :spit:

quote unquote
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
i know what Serena is going thru, it remind me of the time i cried so hard in 2003/2005 when Nadia didnt make the FO final

its very good for tennis to have Serena back even if you dont really like her so much, because in years to come you will look back no matter what and think to youself what a player

Boreas
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM
She nearly died? When did that happen?

Mrs. Peel
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM

You may be over thinking it just a tad.....

Dodoboy.
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:57 PM
That Obama gif is everything :haha:

Serena :awww::hug:

Mrs. Peel
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:58 PM

Another great oracle of TennisForum who knows what players are thinking and feeling.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

gmak
Jun 21st, 2011, 04:00 PM
Serena :hug: :yeah:
you don't have to be a fan to understand what she went through

so great to see her on court again, although i won't exactly feel the same when she plays against my faves :lol: :p

JN
Jun 21st, 2011, 04:03 PM

:spit:

sky20748
Jun 21st, 2011, 04:08 PM
I am a huge Venus and Serena fan but what I am not liking is how everytime she has beaten her opponents now she keeps reminding people that that particular person beat Venus. I mean come one what is that about. We all know who beat who but to me its like throwing her sister under the bus. I mean in her interview she was like she don't mean to be funny but it was cool when Venus was down and out with her. I mean I think she doesn't think alot before she speaks. U never hear Venus say well my opponent beat Serena. COme on Serena, welcome back and good fight but stop mentioning how every opponent you play also beat ur sister. WE ALREADY KNOW....

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
pressed much? :lol: she's complimenting her opponent by saying how good they must have been to beat vinas...

lower the heat on the iron a bit :lol:

sluggahjells
Jun 21st, 2011, 04:19 PM
I am a huge Venus and Serena fan but what I am not liking is how everytime she has beaten her opponents now she keeps reminding people that that particular person beat Venus. I mean come one what is that about. We all know who beat who but to me its like throwing her sister under the bus. I mean in her interview she was like she don't mean to be funny but it was cool when Venus was down and out with her. I mean I think she doesn't think alot before she speaks. U never hear Venus say well my opponent beat Serena. COme on Serena, welcome back and good fight but stop mentioning how every opponent you play also beat ur sister. WE ALREADY KNOW....

She's complimenting Rezai and exlainging to people how much of a quality opponent she is.

Geesh :facepalm: #PostFail

jacobruiz
Jun 21st, 2011, 04:22 PM

A pulmonary embolism can easily result in death.

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM
:lol: Vee-fans mad now? What's going on there? Serena mentioning that a player beat her sis, only means that the girl CAN play..and the match wasn't to be taken lightly. That's all.

starin
Serena :hug:

bandabou

:rolls: Priceless!

quote unquote
Jun 21st, 2011, 04:27 PM

Serena had a blood clot on her lung and it must had been bad for her

what i find worrying is, most people with this condition already suffer from some other kind of disease – sometimes a heart condition

im thinking from Serenas mood it was bad for her because,mentally, she is so strong and if her leg was falling off she wouldnt let you know

geoepee
Jun 21st, 2011, 05:38 PM
I totally know what you're talking about. And it is annoying but it's very Serena to be honest :shrug:. I don't think Serena thinks she's doing anything, by using her sisters failures/loses to boost her successes and emphasize and 'convince' others how great of a win it really is. I say let your victories and your defeats speak for yourself. I'm sure others won't agree.

And before any Serena fans come for me, saying that Vee fans are mad or whatever. I frankly don't give a shit. :lol:
I speak for myself and that's how I feel, I agree. It's a pattern and i see it for how it is. :wavey:

Congrats Serena, great job coming back and fighting adversity! Well deserved win! Not because Venus lost to her but because you won against her.

spencercarlos
Jun 21st, 2011, 05:51 PM
I think the one match is thing just mini goals. Her next goal is obviously to win another match and she's slowly working her way to retaining her title.

Agreed 100%, She showed her heart in the end. She is so great for tennis.
I really hope she wins this tournament...

pav
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry but that was pure, preplanned theatre,Serena acting up to the crowd and TV cameras at it's worst.
Good on her in her comeback but no need for the drama.

Craig.
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:30 PM
They showed a replay on ESPN a while ago. It was just beautiful :sobbing:

debopero
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM
I got really scared; I thought that she was having some sort of physical problem because she kept touching her heart. You never see Serena cry. It just shows how mentally tough she's been over the years. :tears:

sluggahjells
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:38 PM
I'm sorry but that was pure, preplanned theatre,Serena acting up to the crowd and TV cameras at it's worst.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The hate is so strong here, I feel you made need a hate rehab center.

quote unquote
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:39 PM

i saw her on Law and Order SVU, true enough, she was really good

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:44 PM

it's ok bb :hug: let it out

vixter
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:45 PM

What nonsense. Is this truly what you believe, or are you just trying to piss people off?

mykarma
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
Serena had a blood clot on her lung and it must had been bad for her

what i find worrying is, most people with this condition already suffer from some other kind of disease – sometimes a heart condition

im thinking from Serenas mood it was bad for her because,mentally, she is so strong and if her leg was falling off she wouldnt let you know

Or another surgery.

mykarma
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:52 PM
I totally know what you're talking about. And it is annoying but it's very Serena to be honest :shrug:. I don't think Serena thinks she's doing anything, by using her sisters failures/loses to boost her successes and emphasize and 'convince' others how great of a win it really is. I say let your victories and your defeats speak for yourself. I'm sure others won't agree.

And before any Serena fans come for me, saying that Vee fans are mad or whatever. I frankly don't give a shit. :lol:
I speak for myself and that's how I feel, I agree. It's a pattern and i see it for how it is. :wavey:

Congrats Serena, great job coming back and fighting adversity! Well deserved win! Not because Venus lost to her but because you won against her.
Like some others I think Serena was complimenting her opponent and even so, it's not as though it's a family secret. I'm sure that if Vee has a problem with it it won't happen again but the sisters know each other very well and don't think either would say anything to hurt the other especially in public.

Gerri
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:53 PM
I felt emotional myself :lol: Great to have Serena back and see how much it meant to her, and good to see the crowd appreciate both players. They've both had some tough times.

mykarma
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:54 PM
Troll Alert!!!

darrinbaker00
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM

You've obviously never seen Serena act before. She's not that good. ;)

But semi-seriously, folks.....after all Serena has been through the last 12 months, it clearly meant a lot to her to win that particular match on that particular court. This isn't quite as big as Corina Morariu's comeback in 2002 (against Serena, ironically enough), but it's pretty big.

Ryan
Jun 21st, 2011, 08:58 PM
Really nice to see; I think everyone is happy Serena is healthy, back on the tennis courts. :cool:

Smitten
Jun 21st, 2011, 09:00 PM
I am a huge Venus and Serena fan but what I am not liking is how everytime she has beaten her opponents now she keeps reminding people that that particular person beat Venus. I mean come one what is that about. We all know who beat who but to me its like throwing her sister under the bus. I mean in her interview she was like she don't mean to be funny but it was cool when Venus was down and out with her.

Serena has always shaded her sister. This is nothing new. It's why it's so damn funny. :lol:

quote unquote
Jun 21st, 2011, 09:04 PM
Or another surgery.

no idea. i only go on all the tittle tattle you guys posts or what i read or hear on TV

i dont follow Facebook, MySpace, Twitter or any of this shit

i take Serena @ her word, if she said this was what happened, why would i doubt her

Marlene
Jun 21st, 2011, 09:08 PM

:haha:

SAEKeithSerena
Jun 21st, 2011, 09:08 PM
she just amazes me. sending nothing but love and positive thoughts over you, Serena :)

Lunaticalm
Jun 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hey cut the girl some slack you guys.

Welcome back Serena!:)

quote unquote
Jun 21st, 2011, 09:11 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The hate is so strong here, I feel you made need a hate rehab center.

He'd be in for it if, Nurse Denise4925 were there

tennisfan5
Jun 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM
Not a Serena fan, but I would actually say this was one of the times I saw a genuine softer side from her. I usually think she "acts" through her press conferences/post-match interviews, but this was real. nice to see how much it means to her.

RenaSlam.
Jun 21st, 2011, 10:36 PM
:)

selking
Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:17 AM
I never was a fan of Serena's when I followed tennis because she always beat Monica, but now a days I simply see her as such a classy, dedicated woman

*Nefertiti*
Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:45 AM
I wanted to cry myself when I saw her cry.

bandabou
Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
You've obviously never seen Serena act before. She's not that good. ;)

:spit: Oh la la! :lol:

Otlichno
Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
I think this just goes to show what Serena had to go through. :awww:

When the embolism came, allot of people were worried if she would ever play tennis again, she probably felt the same way, now to come from almost dying to being in Wimbledon and winning her first round match. One of the most remarkable not only in tennis but in sport in general. I'm so happy for her, because God knows, she deserved it.

renstar
Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:54 AM
Im not usually a Serena fan (though I don't hate her), guess I just haven't liked the arrogance at times when she has said she has lost due to lucky breaks by the other player. But it was quite touching that she broke down and shows a more human, humble side to her which I liked. After all she has realised that when your on your death bed you realise there is so much more to life.
Im glad I saw her only other Rezai match here in Sydney a couple of years ago, I think the memory of that would have helped her know what to expect here.