PDA

View Full Version : Raising your game at a slam

colt13
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Watching the late career arc of Schiavone, I wondered how is it that she really hasn't done anything all year on the regular tour, but has played well in the 3 slams. So has Li the last couple of years. Of course Serena and Kim. But why do others struggle? I think of Sveta, who squeaked by Zhang, as well as some of her other slam matches against Akgul, Mathilde and other lower ranked players. Ivanovic goes without saying.

All of the above mentioned won slams. So there is a different category for those who don't give you confidence even when they are doing good, like Peer, Stosur and Azarenka, yet we have confidence that Dulko, Duchevina and Bartoli will always pull off one upset.

tennnisfannn
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:46 AM
Serena is an expert at that, I have forgeotten her last non slam victory, besides YEC she has done diddly!

Pops Maellard
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:51 AM
Serena is an expert at that, I have forgeotten her last non slam victory, besides YEC she has done diddly!
I think her last regular tour event victory was 2008 Charleston. :lol:

bandabou
Jun 21st, 2011, 07:31 AM
Serena's obviously the queen for this. Since her surgery she's won like 7 majors, 1 YEC and roughly 5 ( miami 3 times, charleston, Beijing?) regular tournaments. That's just clutch.