PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with the TBA women's matches tomorrow ???,

LightWarrior
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:43 PM
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/schedule/index.html

No men's matches are "to be announced". Once again it shows such a chauvinistic take on women's tennis from Wimbledon officials. Although I'm pretty sure $$$harapova will play on Centre late in the evening under the roof.

Not Before:17:00
Ladies' Singles - 1st Round
Anna Chakvetadze(RUS) vs. Maria Sharapova(RUS)[5]

Angelique Kerber(GER) vs. Laura Robson(GBR)

Dominika Cibulkova(SVK)[24] vs. Mirjana Lucic(CRO)

Polona Hercog(SLO) vs. Johanna Larsson(SWE)

Evgeniya Rodina(RUS) vs. Chanelle Scheepers(RSA)

Irina-Camelia Begu(ROU) vs. Flavia Pennetta(ITA)[21]

GoofyDuck
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:45 PM
It's traditional...

dsanders06
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Because women's matches are shorter, therefore it won't be as tough for them to play on consecutive days if they don't get on tomorrow.

The only shocker on tomorrow's schedule is shunting Isner-Mahut out onto Court 3 :o

LightWarrior
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Because women's matches are shorter, therefore it won't be as tough for them to play on consecutive days if they don't get on tomorrow.

The only shocker on tomorrow's schedule is shunting Isner-Mahut out onto Court 3 :o

I know that. But it means these women have to wait nervously all day long to know on what court they're playing...:help:

18majors
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Maria will probably play Centre Court, especially if it rains tomorrow.

sluggahjells
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I know that. But it means these women have to wait nervously all day long to know on what court they're playing...:help:

It's tough, but that's how the luck goes.

Some guys have to worry about having to comeback 3 out 5 on back to back days.

18majors
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:54 PM

They know plays won't start before 17:00.

dsanders06
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:57 PM

But it's not chauvinism. There's a logical reason for it.

And I doubt the players will be "nervous" about what court they're on, as long as they get on. Loads of players who were scheduled for today have to come back tomorrow anyway, so it's not like Maria or Pennetta or whoever will be the only ones who will have to waste a day, if indeed they do have to.

AdeyC
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Maria will probably play Centre Court, especially if it rains tomorrow.

I'd have thought that Laura would be first in the queue.

darrinbaker00
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:59 PM

So instead of just not knowing exactly when they'll play, they won't know exactly when or where they'll play. They're professionals; they'll work through it. :shrug:

-Sonic-
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Courts that finish their matches quickly get the extra matches.... its easier to fit a shorter womens match as an extra as they take up less time and therefore will be completed.

Its better than fixing a match to play on court X, only to have all the earlier matches go on for 4 hours each and then you don't get to play at all.... I'd rather be 'Court TBA, not before 5pm" than be a 4th or 5th match on court, not knowing if you were going to play or not, or have to continue a match onto a second day.

DefyingGravity
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:01 PM
They expect it at Wimbledon with the rain.

TBA is there for women's matches, which last shorter, so that the men who have to play five sets are pulling double/triple/quadruple duty

dsanders06
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I'd have thought that Laura would be first in the queue.

No way - she only got onto Court 2 two years ago (she was on Centre last year only because she was facing a top seed). And the hype around her has faded now. Sharapova-Chakvetadze will definitely be first in line to get onto Centre.

LightWarrior
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:04 PM
But it's not chauvinism. There's a logical reason for it.

And I doubt the players will be "nervous" about what court they're on, as long as they get on. Loads of players who were scheduled for today have to come back tomorrow anyway, so it's not like Maria or Pennetta or whoever will be the only ones who will have to waste a day, if indeed they do have to.

At least the unfinished men's matches are scheduled. And yes it's chauvinism, you don't see that in the other 3 GS. It's not tradition, it's utterly despicable.

stangtennis
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:09 PM
So instead of just not knowing exactly when they'll play, they won't know exactly when or where they'll play. They're professionals; they'll work through it. :shrug:
Roland Garros moved several of the last matches of the day to other courts that had finished faster. So instead of assigning them to a specific court and then moving them anyway they can just as well write TBA so spectators are aware. At Wimbledon you at least know what matches can be moved. At Roland Garros you din't know which of the last matches would be moved. So I don't think it's any worse than at Roland Garros where all matches were scheduled to a specif court and then many if them moved anyway.

darrinbaker00
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:18 PM
At least the unfinished men's matches are scheduled. And yes it's chauvinism, you don't see that in the other 3 GS. It's not tradition, it's utterly despicable.

You were given a good reason why the All-England Club did what they did (women's matches being easier to move because they're shorter); you just choose to ignore it. Next time, just write "I hate men's tennis" and be done with it.

perseus2006
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I hate men's tennis!

LightWarrior
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:29 PM
You were given a good reason why the All-England Club did what they did (women's matches being easier to move because they're shorter); you just choose to ignore it. Next time, just write "I hate men's tennis" and be done with it.

I don't hate men's tennis, that's not my point. I'm perfectly aware that women's matches are shorter starting this thread, duh...Btw how can TBA matches be "moved" if they're not even sheduled. :rolleyes:

joão.
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:32 PM
lol @ $$$harapova

AjdeNate!
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Sexist hogs not letting the ladies play tennis. Ugh.

Patrick345
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:12 PM

Totally. First everyone was like "they cheated to have the rematch" and now they put it on court 3. From the scoreboard failure, to the roof failure, onto the scheduling failure. They are really starting late again. Have they learned nothing from the French Open. Ball bouncing, towel exercises, wardrobe adjustments donīt go faster on grass. And thatīs assuming it will not rain again. The "amateur" event, the Olympics are next year, could somebody there try to act like a professional. Iīm just shocked they donīt have a teabreak at 4.

Linguae^
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I think:
- 19 matches of men's singles finished on the Day 1
- 14 matches of women's singles finished on the Day 1
Weird, but they wanna put men first, because their matches are longer, so it's better to finish them off earlier, while women can do their job 'easier'.
:p

longtin23
Jun 21st, 2011, 01:20 AM
I don't think they can play all matches today... bith TBA and last match of each court... Courts have been fully occupied already four and a half match(To be continued) so no space I guess...

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:40 AM
Iīm just shocked they donīt have a teabreak at 4.

Lol. :sobbing: Oh Wimbledon. :tears:

Smitten
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:42 AM
No way - she only got onto Court 2 two years ago (she was on Centre last year only because she was facing a top seed). And the hype around her has faded now. Sharapova-Chakvetadze will definitely be first in line to get onto Centre.

I thought the defending women's champion always opens on Centre Court.

AnomyBC
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:46 AM
Although I'm pretty sure $$$harapova will play on Centre late in the evening under the roof.

And if not, she's always welcome to play late in the evening under my roof :)

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:50 AM
I thought the defending women's champion always opens on Centre Court.

The post you quoted is between Robson's match and Maria's match, methinks. :lol:

Smitten
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:51 AM
The post you quoted is between Robson's match and Maria's match, methinks. :lol:

Oh. No one cares about Robson.

18majors
Jun 21st, 2011, 04:32 AM
^I agree.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jun 21st, 2011, 04:46 AM
Oh. No one cares about Robson.

Which was sort of the point of the post you quoted, therefore he/she said it's likely that Maria would be first on CC (after all 3 matches completed). Has nothing to do with the defending champion thing.

BepaMaria
Jun 21st, 2011, 05:02 AM
Pathetic scheduling from the championships. Can't believe an all-time great like Sharapova who was the 2004 champion still doesn't have a court and still has to wait for her match TBA. They are obviously not respecting her and jeopardizing her chances of winning the title if her matches get delayed for days as a result of this.

It is basic courtesy to give her priority first. I can understand that Serena is playing on CC instead of her, but surely they should at least have the decency to give her a proper scheduled match on Court 1 or 2 as she is popular with the people and many people want to watch her play.

But it's ok, I can see that they do not even respect their own people as well since Robson's match is also TBA:facepalm:

That's why I say all this TBA crap and the resting on the middle sunday BS makes Wimbledon the worst slam in terms of scheduling.

adner
Jun 21st, 2011, 07:22 AM
Start the matches earlier and it's all done. Stop defending those LTA mugs like they were some gods or whatever. They are stupid and stubborn and I hope it rains for 2 weeks so they get their asses kicked.

Lachy
Jun 21st, 2011, 07:44 AM
Absolute joke.

SloKid
Jun 21st, 2011, 07:51 AM
Although I'm pretty sure $$$harapova will play on Centre late in the evening under the roof.
Isn't there a rule that the roof is only closed for rain and if it's not closed at the time it's dark then the match is suspended until the next day?