PDA

View Full Version : No Wimbledon on Eurosport?

kman
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Seriously?

Jimmie48
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Nope.. I don't mind though, means I actually get to see some tennis in HD for once..

Fantasy Hero
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
i dunno how are things outside of italy, but here it never happens because Sky owns the rights :shrug:

backhandsmash
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Doesn't Eurosport do HD?

Libertango
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:04 PM
^yes it does, but I don't think W has EVER been on Eurosport.

Just Do It
They don't show W on ES for years :shrug:

Jimmie48
Doesn't Eurosport do HD?

Yes, there's Eurosport HD but that's not part of my stupid cable package... only Eurosport International & 2 are...

quote unquote
yes Eurosport HD is very good

DefyingGravity
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I think Sky, BBC, Nova Sports, Fox Sports, ESPN/TSN, NBC are the English speaking providers

kman
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Fuck me. Can't believe I just ordered their stupid subscription service.

Raiden
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:08 PM
What are you guys talking about? Wimbledon has never been on Eurosport.

It's on BBC-1 or (if the match gets too long) on BBC 2

backhandsmash
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:08 PM
^yes it does, but I don't think W has EVER been on Eurosport.

Hehe, I know. Doesn't matter for me though, as I don't have an HD-capable box. :)

Good thing a local channel shows a LOT from Wimbledon this year. 8-10 hours today. :bounce:

The Witch-king
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM
i dunno how are things outside of italy, but here it never happens because Sky owns the rights :shrug:

Both Sky and Eurosport broadcasted the FO though :unsure:

Libertango
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Fuck me. Can't believe I just ordered their stupid subscription service.

They've never done W; you only just noticed? :sad:

kman
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Hehe, I know. Doesn't matter for me though, as I don't have an HD-capable box. :)

Good thing a local channel shows a LOT from Wimbledon this year. 8-10 hours today. :bounce:

Is that free? TV2 Sport is it?

Raiden
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Eurosport after all is French so naturally it's easier for them to get the rights of the French open.

kman
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:11 PM

It must be because the broadcast rights to Wimbledon are more expensive and Eurosport are cheapskates.

Fantasy Hero
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:12 PM

don't think so...not here at least. the final was showed by RAI too, but it cost a lot to the italian channel indeed

backhandsmash
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Is that free? TV2 Sport is it?

Yes TV2 Sport. And no, it isn't free. As you probably know, it's part of those stupid package deals, that are so loved by providers in this country. :fiery:

The Witch-king
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
don't think so...not here at least. the final was showed by RAI too, but it cost a lot to the italian channel indeed
I'm definitely sure that Sky had the FO. I remember seeing the end of Nadal vs Soderling on a tv at a stand in a mall advertising Sky HD or something.

It must be because the broadcast rights to Wimbledon are more expensive and Eurosport are cheapskates.

That makes sense.

Betten
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Why would Eurosport be cheapskates? If the channel does not feel that it can justify the cost then it is just a business decision. Just because it annoys you does not mean Eurosport is at fault here. The rights for Wimbledon are just very expensive for tv channels - here in Belgium coverage has also been cut back compared to previous years due to budget cuts and the expensive broadcasting rights to Wimbledon (in comparison to the price of the other slams). If you must rant, rant at Wimbledon - they're the ones who decide the price.

dsanders06
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Actually, it's got nothing to do with the cost of buying the rights or whatever. It's because it's actually ILLEGAL for any station other than the BBC to broadcast Wimbledon in the UK. It's one of the so-called "crown jewels" - one of the sporting events that are so important that it needs to be available to all through a terrestrial channel, without competition from a commercial station. But none of the other Slams are "crown jewels", because there isn't enough public interest in them among the British public.

backhandsmash
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Actually, it's got nothing to do with the cost of buying the rights or whatever. It's because it's actually ILLEGAL for any station other than the BBC to broadcast Wimbledon in the UK. It's one of the so-called "crown jewels" - one of the sporting events that are so important that it needs to be available to all through a terrestrial channel, without competition from a commercial station. But none of the other Slams are "crown jewels", because there isn't enough public interest in them among the British public.

:yeah:

Thanks for explaining better than I could. In golf for example, the USO is the same, I think. Only national channels can get their hands on that one. Or at least it used to be like that.

Jimmie48
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I don't think that's the sole reason why Wimbledon isn't on Eurosport. For example, Eurosport shows German Football everywhere but in Germany and Austria because they only have the rights for the abroad market.

So while there's Bundesliga Football on Eurosport, German Eurosport viewers get to watch something else. So it would very well be possible for Eurosport to carry Wimbledon everywhere but the UK.

redsonja
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:58 PM
:sobbing: Laugh at me if you want, but this is the first year I've lived in Europe, and I had no idea Eurosport didn't carry Wimbledon. No other channel on my cable package is showing it; I can't stream matches at work; I have a very hard time getting Bet365 accounts, etc., because even though I live in Europe, my financial information is all US based (and no, I can't get a local bank account-- against regs for my job). I do have a Slingbox, so I can record the US coverage and watch it later, but the connection is usually crappy and if my State-side friend's internet goes out, I'm screwed.

I am sad. :sad: No(t much) Wimbledon for me.

Break My Rapture
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:59 PM
You're rather late.

The Witch-king
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:04 PM
:sobbing: Laugh at me if you want, but this is the first year I've lived in Europe, and I had no idea Eurosport didn't carry Wimbledon. No other channel on my cable package is showing it; I can't stream matches at work; I have a very hard time getting Bet365 accounts, etc., because even though I live in Europe, my financial information is all US based (and no, I can't get a local bank account-- against regs for my job). I do have a Slingbox, so I can record the US coverage and watch it later, but the connection is usually crappy and if my State-side friend's internet goes out, I'm screwed.

:hah: redsonja

dsanders06
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I don't think that's the sole reason why Wimbledon isn't on Eurosport. For example, Eurosport shows German Football everywhere but in Germany and Austria because they only have the rights for the abroad market.

So while there's Bundesliga Football on Eurosport, German Eurosport viewers get to watch something else. So it would very well be possible for Eurosport to carry Wimbledon everywhere but the UK.

But a football match only lasts 90 minutes, whereas Wimbledon coverage would last all day - meaning ES would have to buy two extra things JUST for the UK to put on both British Eurosport channels all day, while the rest of Europe saw Wimbledon - that wouldn't be very cost-efficient.

dsanders06
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM

Try the BBC Sport site: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/default.stm. They always provide streams of 6 courts (for free), although I'm not 100% sure if people outside the UK can watch them.

sluggahjells
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:08 PM
But a football match only lasts 90 minutes, whereas Wimbledon coverage would last all day - meaning ES would have to buy two extra things JUST for the UK to put on both British Eurosport channels all day, while the rest of Europe saw Wimbledon - that wouldn't be very cost-efficient.

Moreover, the Bundesliga doesn't care what channel it gets put on. As long as they have a strong TV deal where the league is exposed and seen in as many channels as possible, it is okay.

Way different dynamic with Wimbledon, where nationality, tradition, and this being technically tennis' British Open are very much stronger.