PDA

View Full Version : travelling through poland

azdaja
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:34 PM
i am about to make a decision by a coin toss on this one, so i thought i might as well ask people which would they recommend.

i am about to do a trip from vienna to prague and then through poland (perhaps also dresden) to lithuania and latvia. from prague to vilnius i have 3 possible routes:

a) prague - (dresden) - wroclaw - poznan - gdansk - vilnius

b) prague - (dresden) - wroclaw - krakow - warsaw - vilnius

c) prague - (ostrava) - krakow - warsaw - vilnius (which would leave more time for krakow and the scary prospect of visiting auschwitz which i would want to do)

which route would people recommend? presently i'm more inclined to take the first option and to visit krakow some other time (i definitely want to do it), but i am not sure :unsure:

also, a friend mentioned that i need to be careful when going from poland to lithuania to take connections that don't go over belarus since they demand transit visas. does this mean i will have to take a bus and which companies offer such connections? it shouldn't be difficult now that both poland and lithuania are a part of schengen, i hope.

thanks in advance :D

NAT
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I have travelled through Poland several times, and personally, I would visit Wroclaw, Krakow and Warsaw. Warsaw and Krakow have more history than Poznan, though Poznan is a beautiful city. Of course if you want to visit the sea, then Gdansk might be a better option. I think connections to Vilnius will also be better through Warsaw. There are direct bus and train routs from Warsaw, (no Belarus), though depending on when you are there, might not be every day (every second day).

azdaja
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I have travelled through Poland several times, and personally, I would visit Wroclaw, Krakow and Warsaw. Warsaw and Krakow have more history than Poznan, though Poznan is a beautiful city. Of course if you want to visit the sea, then Gdansk might be a better option. I think connections to Vilnius will also be better through Warsaw. There are direct bus and train routs from Warsaw, (no Belarus), though depending on when you are there, might not be every day (every second day).
thanks!

i hope for more opinions. krakow is definitely a city i wanna visit and it could make sense to take the route you say is better.

i feel embarrassed for spelling wroclaw incorrectly, gonna correct it now :o

NAT
Jun 21st, 2011, 05:04 PM
No worries. Hope it works out. Any more questions let me know, or there are lots of Polish posters here too I think. I am Canadian but spend a lot of time in Poland.

olivero
Jun 21st, 2011, 07:08 PM
All the cities you've mentioned have many different things to offer. So it depends what are you looking for and how are you planning to travel (polish trains suck big time).

You should visit Wroclaw. It's really cool and has a lot tourist attractions. I guess Krakow and Warsaw are also more interesting for tourists than Poznan and Gdansk (but then again these are also pretty cool).
How much time do you want to spend in each city? If you're planning to make short visits only, then Wroclaw - Poznan - Gdansk is probably a good choice.

azdaja
Jun 21st, 2011, 09:53 PM
All the cities you've mentioned have many different things to offer. So it depends what are you looking for and how are you planning to travel (polish trains suck big time).

You should visit Wroclaw. It's really cool and has a lot tourist attractions. I guess Krakow and Warsaw are also more interesting for tourists than Poznan and Gdansk (but then again these are also pretty cool).
How much time do you want to spend in each city? If you're planning to make short visits only, then Wroclaw - Poznan - Gdansk is probably a good choice.
i am planning to make only short visits (2-3 days), but i am really hyperactive on these trips, so i am not sure. for this reason i thought i should actually take the first route. but then i need to make some serious corrections in my plans tomorrow since i fucked up some bookings :rolleyes:

as it stands now i think i will choose krakow and warsaw, but it could change already tomorrow morning :rolleyes:

olivero
Jun 22nd, 2011, 07:16 AM
well 2-3 days is definitely enough for Gdansk, Poznan, Wroclaw or most of Krakow ;)

azdaja
Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:20 AM
well 2-3 days is definitely enough for Gdansk, Poznan, Wroclaw or most of Krakow ;)
so you would say more time is needed for warsaw?

this is supposed to be just a first time see trip. i usually visit places i really like again and poland is not half a world away.

McPie
Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:56 AM
I dunno, but I like you to go to Kraków ;)

nothing I just like Wisła :p :lol:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:00 AM
Come and visit Gdansk - my city :angel: I'd even say that one day, maybe 2 would be enough for Gdańsk but if you're here you definitely don't wanna miss visiting Sopot, a nearby city :p
About Wrocław. yesterday it was elected the European Capital 2016 so it speaks volumes I think :)
And I loved it in Poznań, been there twice and I think that it's a great city for tourists.
Warsaw as the capital, probably has the most to offer, plenty of places of interests etc. But the city itself is tragic. They've just started building the second line of underground, I've heard it affected the transport but I don't live there so I don't know. To me Warsaw is meh anyway.
Kraków is a must-see definitely and the salt mine in Wieliczka! You can't miss that one when you're there.
Pick the first option, it's the best, I think :p

Daruma.
Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM
B.

azdaja
Jun 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
thanks for suggestions to everyone. i am thinking that things could be easier for me if i cut the trip and go to latvia by plane for a weekend or something in august and concentrate on poland and and perhaps dresden this time. it should be more flexible in this way because i won't have the flight waiting for me at the end of the trip.

i kinda feel sorry this probably means i will not be able to visit lithuania this summer, but sometimes you can't have it all.

olivero
Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:14 PM
so you would say more time is needed for warsaw?

this is supposed to be just a first time see trip. i usually visit places i really like again and poland is not half a world away.

I'd say yes. Warsaw is a big city so obviously it has a lot of interesting places. But it's worth visiting. As Kim's_fan_4ever said, 1-2 days is enough for Gdansk + another one for Sopot is a good choice. Kraków is like a one big museum with many old buildings/places but they are pretty close to each other. However if you're in Kraków you should also visit Wieliczka and Auschwitz, so 2-3 days may not be enough for everything.

ptkten
Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Don't do choice a) because Krakow is a must see. It's a beautiful city with a lot of history. You're also close to Auschwitz so you can do a day trip there.

Freakan
Jun 22nd, 2011, 10:23 PM
Go to Poznan, that's how it looked like last night ;)
IyQ7O9Z3t0o

azdaja
Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:41 AM
Go to Poznan, that's how it looked like last night ;)
IyQ7O9Z3t0o
too bad i wasn't there last night :lol:

i'm booking tickets and hostel places as we speak, should be a nice trip. thanks for the suggestions to everyone again :D

Daruma.
Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Are you travelling all alone? :unsure:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
So which option did you eventually decide on?:D

azdaja
Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:21 AM
Are you travelling all alone? :unsure:
yes. not the first time i do something like that and it's fun. you meet a lot of people at hostels anyway.

So which option did you eventually decide on?:D
it's the option d :lol: i decided to skip going to lithuania and latvia and combine the 2 routes through poland with the last stop in krakow before returning home. i am kinda felxible about other things.

unfortunately gdansk is under a huge question mark because it's kinda in far north :unsure: i will decide on this one by the time i arrive in wroclaw, i guess.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jun 23rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
it's the option d :lol: i decided to skip going to lithuania and latvia and combine the 2 routes through poland with the last stop in krakow before returning home. i am kinda felxible about other things.

unfortunately gdansk is under a huge question mark because it's kinda in far north :unsure: i will decide on this one by the time i arrive in wroclaw, i guess.

Yeah, it's true. Gdańsk is really faaaar away from the other cities, it's 5h30 by train from Poznań and 6-7 hours from Warsaw :help:

Cool that you're going to Kraków. Don't forget about Wieliczka once you're there, it's really breathtaking :wavey:

azdaja
Jun 28th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Yeah, it's true. Gdańsk is really faaaar away from the other cities, it's 5h30 by train from Poznań and 6-7 hours from Warsaw :help:

Cool that you're going to Kraków. Don't forget about Wieliczka once you're there, it's really breathtaking :wavey:
i just wanted to say thanks again for the suggestions. i will try, i will spend enough time in krakow for that, i think. i mean, it can't keep me as busy as prague did, can it? :unsure:

anyway, i won't visit gdansk on this trip, but i have a nice idea for a trip where gdansk would definitely be included - the great tour of the baltics and hanseatic cities :cool: but that's undefined future and right now i'm just gonna enjoy this trip and it's been helluva fun so far.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jun 28th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I've never been to Prague so I don't know ;) There are plenty of things to see in Kraków so just take your time :D

Maybe it's better you won't be visiting Gdańsk this summer, I pass the main street of the Old City every day and the amount of tourists there is really annoying :p It's hard to make your way through. Btw as far as I know they will remove our most characteristic Neptune Fountain after holidays (renovation) so it would be a shame not to see it.

Glad you're having a blast :wavey: