PDA

View Full Version : FIFA Women's World Cup-Germany 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

serenaforever
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Ok so I'm not sure if there's a thread for this yet, but the Women's WC starts June 26. :bounce:

Anyone going to watch it? or if you live in Germany, are you going?

matthias
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM
i´m from Germany, i will not go, but i will watch it for sure
the favs are Germany, USA and Brazil imo

serenaforever
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:56 PM
i´m from Germany, i will not go, but i will watch it for sure
the favs are Germany, USA and Brazil imo

Absolutely. Obviously Im rooting for USA :cheer::cheer::cheer:

We have a possible meeting with Germany in the SF though :devil::bounce:

postalblowfish
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Hopefully I can watch some of it when I'm not working.

And hopefully the English ladies can do well! Would be good to back up their Euro 2009 final with a good run at the World Cup.

In terms of picking a winner then I think it's going to be Brazil or Germany. Home advantage might help the Germans over the line.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I guess I'll watch Canada's matches on tape delay at night.
Do they have a chance for a medal?

serenaforever
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Im not sure who they have in their group, but they're definitely dangerous. Not to be underestimated.

canuckfan
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Decent chance if they can get out of their group, which is one of the toughest (Germany, France, Nigeria, Canada). If they do, they'll have the easiest quarter-final matchup (against Japan or England).

miffedmax
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I'll probably be watching some of the matches. Both the men's and women's US teams have struggled of late but hopefully our gals will have a good run.

serenaforever
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I'll probably be watching some of the matches. Both the men's and women's US teams have struggled of late but hopefully our gals will have a good run.

After our Olympic gold we got, Im much more confident in the US women. We've had some losses, but on the biggest stage, I definitely think we've got what it takes.

hellas719
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I'll watch some of it I guess :shrug:
I hope they have crowds, unlike at the U-21 World Cup in Germany last year :sad:

Specter
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I hope they have crowds, unlike at the U-21 World Cup in Germany last year :sad:

First: it was the U-20. Second: I think the crowds were decent for that kind of event. One shouldn't forget that the thing that drags down attendance at these U events is the lack of traveling fans, not disinterest from the home crowd. Third: They've already sold about 670.000 of 900.000 cards with Germans making up about 90% of the buyers. So there is definitely huge interest. That will likely build even further the better Germany does in the competition. Everybody is expecting packed stadiums.

You should definitely check out the opening match GER v CAN. It's in the Olympic Stadium in Berlin with 73.000 people there (biggest EU crowd for a women's match ever.) The atmosphere should be incredible. :hearts:

Here's the official schedule with all the matches if someone is interested. I think all the matches are very reasonably scheduled with the only two 2 pm matches scheduled on the weekend and the early weekday matches at 3 pm. They should be getting good TV numbers.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/01/11/73/26/fwwc2011_matchschedule_en_25032011.pdf

serenaforever
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM
As far as TV goes, the coverage is supposed to be unprecedented for a women's event.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 21st, 2011, 12:10 AM
As far as TV goes, the coverage is supposed to be unprecedented for a women's event.
Ya, we're getting every match here in Canada on CBC or Sportsnet. I don't remember that happening before.

serenaforever
Jun 21st, 2011, 12:47 AM
Ya, we're getting every match here in Canada on CBC or Sportsnet. I don't remember that happening before.

And, unlike China 2007, the matches aren't super early in the morning. :D

Srodgers
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:15 AM
I'll be watching for sure :D
ESPN has coverage of every singles WC game :eek:

Too bad I might miss some because of my own regionals going on during it :p

PhilePhile
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:21 AM
First: it was the U-20. Second: I think the crowds were decent for that kind of event. One shouldn't forget that the thing that drags down attendance at these U events is the lack of traveling fans, not disinterest from the home crowd. Third: They've already sold about 670.000 of 900.000 cards with Germans making up about 90% of the buyers. So there is definitely huge interest. That will likely build even further the better Germany does in the competition. Everybody is expecting packed stadiums.

You should definitely check out the opening match GER v CAN. It's in the Olympic Stadium in Berlin with 73.000 people there (biggest EU crowd for a women's match ever.) The atmosphere should be incredible. :hearts:

The most watched soccer match in the U.S.A. ( 11,307,000 household and 17,975,000 viewers according to the Nielsen Company ). A capacity crowd of 90,000+ at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California:

uos71JHj6nE

Specter
Jun 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM
The most watched soccer match in the U.S.A. ( 11,307,000 household and 17,975,000 viewers according to the Nielsen Company ). A capacity crowd of 90,000+ at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California:

(biggest EU crowd for a women's match ever.)

EU1. (politics, economics) European Union

I took the liberty. :hatoff:

Håkon
Jun 21st, 2011, 09:45 PM
Going to one match in Leverkusen. Norway vs Australia. Excited, hope the Norwegians can beat girls who learn to kick with an oval ball :p

serenaforever
Jun 21st, 2011, 11:01 PM

uos71JHj6nE

I remember watching that on tv. Best. Atmosphere. Ever.

Srodgers
Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:36 AM
So do you guys think there will be good attendence for most games?

I mean what about games with Equatorial Guinea and stuff? :lol:

Danči Dementia
Jun 22nd, 2011, 01:19 AM

uos71JHj6nE

USA´s goalkeeper was impudently cheating those penalty kicks, she was like 1 meter ahead of the goal line before the rival even kicked the ball. she was like 10000 meters away from the line in the penalty she saved...

was there a rule about this back then??:confused:

serenaforever
Jun 22nd, 2011, 01:20 AM

I think the attendance will be better than you'd think. I think/hope the matches will be mostly full. :shrug:

Specter
Jun 22nd, 2011, 05:31 AM

Well, if we look at the individual games, the match against Brazil in Frankfurt (basically the women's football capital of Germany) should be close to sold out. I hear the Brazil matches are very popular (duh).
Their match against Norway in Augsburg (closest stadium to where I live) should do well enough. Augsburgers are quite excited about football at the moment because FC Augsburg just got into the Bundesliga. Also it's a great stadium and with about 30,000 seats it shouldn't be that hard to fill.

I'm quite concerned about the match in Bochum against Australia. Bochum and Leverkusen are selling very few tickets at the moment and Germans in general don't seem to care much for watching Aussies play football, because both the most recent test games of Germany (men and women) against Australia have been absolute audience bombs with some of the worst attendance and shittiest atmosphere I've ever seen for GER test games (which are almost always sold out for the men and the atmo is the same as for a mandatory match.) The fact that Australia plays in both locations is definitely a huge problem, because both cities aren't exactly known for their great attendance. I really can't remember the last time I've seen a sold-out game in Leverkusen, and their team is always in the top 3 of the Bundesliga or so, and the stadium is pretty small as well with only 30K. Bochum is no different.

I'm expecting great attendance in the other stadiums (Wolfsburg will probably lag behind a bit as well), but I don't have much hope for Bochum and Leverkusen to be honest. And I think the decision to put them in the line-up shows how little thought went into the location picking, as anyone who follows football at all can see that those cities are hopeless.

Fun fact about Equatorial Guinea: I've heard their flag is selling second best after the GER flag at merchandise stands around the country. It could be a situation where a lot of Germans want to support the underdog from Africa. I think there were a lot of instances of that in 2006 as well.

PhilePhile
Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:03 AM
Germany 2011 will be great. You can book that.

GHwnjVfEUA8

Specter
Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Over 700,000 of the 900,000 available tickets have now been sold, 4 days before the start of the tournament.

Srodgers
Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
Over 700,000 of the 900,000 available tickets have now been sold, 4 days before the start of the tournament.

What do you think the chances they will be able to sell them all?

Destiny
Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
Come on Nigeria blaze it up step uppp!!

serenaforever
Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
4 days :bounce:

DiogoP.
Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
there was already a thread made for this ;)

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=424124

serenaforever
Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:30 PM
ooooops. :o

its been dead for like 7 months, how was I supposed to know? :lol:

DiogoP.
Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:56 PM
its ok. it was made by a former banned poster (MoritaMania). he wants me to give his wished to Japan and he says he knows they will win.
he also asked me to say that he gives his best wishes to Li na, Julia goerges and misaki doi. and then also to peng, zheng, lisicki and ivanovic for the rest of wimbledon...and that he is really pissed that ayumi lost her 1st round match after being up by a lot and he was a big fan of goerges since 2009.

Specter
Jun 23rd, 2011, 09:03 AM
What do you think the chances they will be able to sell them all?

Pretty bleak. They might sell around 50,000 more till Sunday, and they'll definitely sell a bunch at the stadiums, too, but all full stadiums isn't going to happen.

It seems I was full of crap and the Brazil matches aren't doing so well. Still lots of tickets for those on the FIFA ticket page. Also for the semifinal that will most likely feature Brazil. Nigeria - Canada isn't doing great either. But from what I can see it's going to be pretty nicely filled everywhere.

If there were more traveling fans we wouldn't even be talking about this, since most stadiums would be sold out then. But what can you do? :shrug:

miffedmax
Jun 24th, 2011, 02:28 AM
USA´s goalkeeper was impudently cheating those penalty kicks, she was like 1 meter ahead of the goal line before the rival even kicked the ball. she was like 10000 meters away from the line in the penalty she saved...

was there a rule about this back then??:confused:

Please, you're just talking smack before we humiliate Mexico on Sunday.

USA! USA! USA!

http://mylifemybody.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/landon-donovan1.jpg

PhilePhile
Jun 24th, 2011, 04:58 AM

USA! USA! USA!

^
One very ugly woman. :eek:

kiwifan
Jun 24th, 2011, 05:59 AM

USA! USA! USA!

Word!!!

Donovan is no Brandi Chastain (or Mia Hamm, Tisha Venturini, Katie Sobrero, Julie Foudy, etc...)

I'll watch as many matches as possible.

Hopefully the USA will do more than "feed the big girl up front", there's more to the US attack than Abby and we can only win by being multifaceted in attack. :cool:

miffedmax
Jun 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Dani and I are at war right now, so I had to post a Landon Donovan pic.

njnetswill
Jun 25th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Wow. China didn't even qualify. They were such powerhouses in the 90s.

PhilePhile
Jun 25th, 2011, 07:14 PM
FIFA World Cup Today CBC TV, cbcsports.ca Raising Their Game - The Story of the FIFA Women's World Cup. Live.

On right now (3-4 ET)..

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifawomensworldcup2011/schedules/broadcast/

Håkon
Jun 25th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Think FIFA ordered that programme and sent it to all broadcasters who bought the rights...something with a very similar title is supposed to be broadcast in Norway tonight too. Probably with lots of really awkward promotion of FIFA and Blatter and how they all work to promote the women's game.

Specter
Jun 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Think FIFA ordered that programme and sent it to all broadcasters who bought the rights...something with a very similar title is supposed to be broadcast in Norway tonight too. Probably with lots of really awkward promotion of FIFA and Blatter and how they all work to promote the women's game.

Something with a very similar title also aired here a couple days ago and the DFB also noted it on its website, which I thought was odd for programming that aired on a small regional channel. Of course if it's from FIFA, then that would make sense.

I must say, I'm usually quite annoyed with the Sunday off at Wimbledon, but with the WC starting tomorrow I really don't mind it so much. :angel:

serenaforever
Jun 25th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Can't believe it's almost here! :banana:

and yes, not relying completely on Abby will be key. But Alex Morgan is rather talented, Im hoping she can really step up.

Danči Dementia
Jun 25th, 2011, 10:06 PM
that Landon Donovan pic, suits 100% this thread, maybe he can go and help his pals in Germany?? :)

anyways, I´m really liking the fact that many countries will be showing the matches and that FIFA is foing something to promote it.
I hope my country will show some, I´d really love to watch the Germans :bounce:

Specter
Jun 26th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Nigeria - France starting at 3. Stadium over in Sinsheim is already packed and I'm giddy for this show to get on the road. :bounce:

PhilePhile
Jun 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Sinsheim's stadium is very nice.

miffedmax
Jun 26th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Watching France/Nigeria right now.

matthias
Jun 26th, 2011, 04:11 PM
France def. Nigeria 1:0

matthias
Jun 26th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Germany vs. Canada is on now
Berlin Olympiastadium is packed
and my favorit german player scored the 1:0
Kerstin Garefrekes :woohoo:

matthias
Jun 26th, 2011, 05:00 PM
2:0 Germany at Halftime

matthias
Jun 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Garefrekes missed a 100% chance to score the 3:0 :facepalm:

matthias
Jun 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM
and now Sinclair scored the 2:1 for Canada
hopefully Germany will not give it away now
how could Garefrekes miss the Goal earlier?

pokey camp
Jun 26th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Oh wow, wow Sinclair! :eek: :speakles:

Those German missed opportunities.... :o

and now Sinclair scored the 2:1 for Canada
hopefully Germany will not give it away now
how could Garefrekes miss the Goal earlier?
IDEK. Just a tap in... But it's coming back to haunt at the moment.

matthias
Jun 26th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Germany def. Canada 2:1

Garefrekes for me the player of the match, in good and bad ways
she scored 1 goal + scorerpoint for 2nd goal
and then she missed 2 good attemps, right before her first goal and then the big opportunity for the 3:0

Specter
Jun 26th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Simply didn't play well today. Not a great way to generate enthusiasm, but not every game can be a blowout and German fans are generally quite aware of that.

Judging from the reaction at the end, the crowd is still happy about the win, however close it may have been.

Now I want to see what Brazil, USA and Sweden brought to this tourney. :bounce:

Adrian.
Jun 26th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I will watch the Equatorial Guinea vs. Norway match in Augsburg :dance::woohoo:

It's nearly sold out and you can get only tickets for about 40 € and more :o :lol:

Today I was watching the Germany match at the "Fan-Meile" in Augsburg :cool:
In generally it's just Public Viewing :lol: There were about 2000 people watching the match :eek::yeah:

I'm excited about Wednesday :woohoo::rocker2:

HawkAussie
Jun 26th, 2011, 09:51 PM
No surprise on Day 1. At least I predcit the 2 winners and score right.

Specter
Jun 26th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Tomorrow Japan v New Zealand at 3 and Mexico v England at 6. Group B looks fun. My favorite Asian team and my favorite team from the Americas in there. Hope they can both advance. :yeah:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 26th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I can't say I'm not disappointed with the loss, especially with the first half CANADA had. The only saving grace was Sinclair's goal with a broken nose. I hope she can play through it.

hablo
Jun 27th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I can't say I'm not disappointed with the loss, especially with the first half CANADA had. The only saving grace was Sinclair's goal with a broken nose. I hope she can play through it.

I was so happy when she scored! :lol::bounce:

Too bad she missed that scoring chance in the first half though. ;)

PhilePhile
Jun 27th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Canada's corner kick ploy at ~85:00 against Germany :angel:

Even the assistant referee (lineswoman) unwittingly got involved in the act. :lol:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6MXHBKEM (1080i,MPG, ~ 2 minutes, 209 MB)

canuckfan
Jun 27th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Yeah what was that with the canadian corner kicks? So intricate :lol:

HawkAussie
Jun 27th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Hope my Aussie womens team win over Brazil

A Magicman
Jun 27th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Women's soccer is like horse racing with donkeys.

Won't go, won't watch.

Adrian.
Jun 27th, 2011, 07:51 AM

Won't go, won't watch.

:facepalm:

Specter
Jun 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM

Won't go, won't watch.

Why hate? :shrug:

A Magicman
Jun 27th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I don't hate. I just have some a sense of beauty and aesthetics. And women's soccer doesnt fit that category. At all.

PhilePhile
Jun 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I don't hate. I just have some a sense of beauty and aesthetics. And women's soccer doesnt fit that category. At all.

A Magicman of Hannover, "Hater of Henin, Ivanovic & Wozniacki". :scratch:

Specter
Jun 27th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Some TV ratings from Germany for GER - CAN:

14.08 mil. viewers for a whopping 58% share
The 14 to 49 demographic had 4.89 mil. of those at a 51.6% share

The NIG - FRA match had 3.21 mil. viewers at a 19.9% share

Amazing numbers! For comparison: Formula 1 had 6.35 mil. viewers at a 38.3% share.

Håkon
Jun 27th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Ugh. I hate 6pm kickoffs in summer. Impossible to watch at times.

Also, how on earth did US lose to Mexico in qualifying?!!

Håkon
Jun 27th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Decent strike from Ocampo.

Håkon
Jun 27th, 2011, 05:50 PM
All over, 1-1.

Lack of comments probably sums it up. This does seem like a group of life.

PhilePhile
Jun 27th, 2011, 07:08 PM
At the 2007 World Cup in China, she won the Golden Ball for best player, the Golden Boot for top scorer (with seven goals) and, in a 4-0 defeat of America in the semi-finals, netted the brilliant solo effort that defines her on YouTube...

Marta spent five years in Sweden, claiming 111 goals in the process, and, according to Dieke, who played for QBIK and Kristianstads, single-handedly boosting the league's popularity ...

In the United States ... Statistics show that she adds nearly 20 per cent to the crowd at every away match ...

She is more of a global figure, probably because she is Brazilian ...

- By PAUL FORSYTH, Published Date: 26 June 2011, Brazil's Marta: World at her tiny feet (http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Brazil39s-Marta-World-at-her.6791303.jp?articlepage=1) (sport.scotsman.com/)

DeFgCQC4o8E

azdaja
Jun 27th, 2011, 08:15 PM
i'm in dresden right now and plenty of people are checking in at the hostel i'm staying at and some of them have already asked about how to get to the stadium :oh: i'm leaving tomorrow, however, i didn't even know there would be games played here. otherwise i'd probably go, even if only to see the stadium.

i figured out americans are playing, but not against who :o

Patrick345
Jun 27th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Lies. Nobody complains about something he doesn´t care about/doesn´t watch.

I have never in my life seeked out any WNBA messageboard or women´s basketball thread to complain about their lack of athletism. Why? Because unless they want to play naked in my bedroom, I couldn´t care less what they do.

Specter
Jun 27th, 2011, 09:41 PM
i'm in dresden right now and plenty of people are checking in at the hostel i'm staying at and some of them have already asked about how to get to the stadium :oh: i'm leaving tomorrow, however, i didn't even know there would be games played here. otherwise i'd probably go, even if only to see the stadium.

i figured out americans are playing, but not against who :o

They're playing North Korea. Talk about an explosive match-up. :eek:

serenaforever
Jun 27th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I'm really enjoying the Cup so far. :D

USA plays tomorrow. North Korea is about to meet their maker. :armed:

Srodgers
Jun 28th, 2011, 05:16 PM
What is the USA doing against North Korea :help:

Adrian.
Jun 28th, 2011, 05:30 PM
USA :help:

Adrian.
Jun 28th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I post and now USA leads 1-0 :oh:

kiwifan
Jun 28th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Good final score for the USA but horrible shooting all day...lots of bad passing all day...weird "up trapping" instead of receiving the ball at their feet...but since they're winning most 50-50 balls all of the bad play just didn't matter...but it will later...

Srodgers
Jun 28th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Good result for the US, but they are going to need to pick it up if they want to contend for the title.

Håkon
Jun 28th, 2011, 06:45 PM
North Korea threw out the entire team after World Cup '07, btw. Average age is 19 and a half and their goalkeeper had as much confidence as a deer in the headlights.

Adrian.
Jun 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Tomorow I'll be in Augsburg and watch Norway vs. A.Guniea :woohoo::rocker:

Specter
Jun 28th, 2011, 07:50 PM
North Korea threw out the entire team after World Cup '07, btw. Average age is 19 and a half and their goalkeeper had as much confidence as a deer in the headlights.

If only she was as tall as one. :help:

Leelee.
Jun 28th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Go.

Teams vs. USA.

Go.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Christine Sinclair(CAN) will most likely miss the next game against France

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=370259

Hurley
Jun 28th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Go.

Teams vs. USA.

Go.

BURLEY STYLEEEEEEEEE

serenaforever
Jun 29th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Good start for the US. :D

Sure they were a bit shaky, but its the first match in a WC, who isn't?

Håkon
Jun 29th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Adrian probably despairing. Dismal first half between Norway and Brazil D.

PhilePhile
Jun 29th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Norway must of angered the post gods. :devil:

Håkon
Jun 29th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Three points in a horrible match. I hope our coach spotted what worked (subs) and didn't (defence)

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 29th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Was I the only one that didnt know there was a country called Equatorial Guinea before this tournament?? :lol:

Håkon
Jun 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Only Spanish-speaking country in Africa. Should be remembered for that imo.

*/trivia hat*

Specter
Jun 29th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Was I the only one that didnt know there was a country called Equatorial Guinea before this tournament?? :lol:

I knew. But I'm also a geography nerd. :)

azdaja
Jun 29th, 2011, 07:40 PM
They're playing North Korea. Talk about an explosive match-up. :eek:
i saw it. but it's women's football. it will never be like when men are playing.

since i'm travelling i don't have much time to post here, but i thought i'd drop by.

oh, and i also know about equatorial guinea. i know the capital is on an island while most of the country isn't.

Srodgers
Jun 29th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I also knew about Equatorial Guinea ;)

Brazil beats Australia 1-0

Adrian.
Jun 29th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Norway :facepalm:
But glad they won in the end :woohoo:

atmosphere was really great :woohoo::hearts: and I had a norwegian flag :woohoo::lol:

But kudos to number 10 from equatorial guinea. she was great :woohoo:

Srodgers
Jun 29th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Btw, the attendence isnt what I was expecting from what the Germans were hyping it to be.

Adrian.
Jun 29th, 2011, 08:24 PM
13.000 for a match between Norway and A.Guniea at 3pm on a Wednesday not during vacation is great I think :shrug::cheer::lol:

What do you expect? :scratch:

hablo
Jun 29th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Christine Sinclair(CAN) will most likely miss the next game against France

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=370259

:sad:

I knew. But I'm also a geography nerd. :)

I also knew about Equatorial Guinea ;)

Brazil beats Australia 1-0

I knew about Equatorial Guinea. :p

Srodgers
Jun 30th, 2011, 12:54 AM
13.000 for a match between Norway and A.Guniea at 3pm on a Wednesday not during vacation is great I think :shrug::cheer::lol:

What do you expect? :scratch:

I didnt mean just for that game ;)

I thought some people said a lot of games would be sold out.

PhilePhile
Jun 30th, 2011, 01:23 AM
By MatthiasWild (http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthiaswild/5876355326/in/set-72157626929959469/) on Flickr
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5303/5876355326_b0a1834afb_b.jpg

By kiamotors.france (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiamotorsfrance/5881652661/) on Flickr
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5036/5881652661_4c9d77ba1f_b.jpg

Specter
Jun 30th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I didnt mean just for that game ;)

I thought some people said a lot of games would be sold out.

They probably gave sponsors a lot of tickets and said they were sold and then nobody shows up. :rolleyes: Did the same thing in South Africa. They definitely showed a lot more sold tickets on the website than there were people in the stadium and I can't imagine people buying tickets and then not showing up.

Danči Dementia
Jun 30th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Only Spanish-speaking country in Africa. Should be remembered for that imo.

*/trivia hat*

:scratch:

I´m pretty sure Spanish is also an official language of the Saharawi Arab democratic republic.

Sindo
Jun 30th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Today's matches

Canada - France 18:00

Germany - Nigeria 20:45

Håkon
Jun 30th, 2011, 08:41 AM
:scratch:

I´m pretty sure Spanish is also an official language of the Saharawi Arab democratic republic.

Only internationally recognised Spanish-speaking country, then. Happy? :p

(And Wikipedia says Arabic is the only official language anyway.)

Danči Dementia
Jun 30th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Only internationally recognised Spanish-speaking country, then. Happy? :p

it´s recognized by more than 1 country and other countries in different continents so by definition it IS internationally recognised.

and Spanish is an official language there, I can´t compare my knowledge to the always 100% true content of wikipedia :p but trust me on this one ;)

Specter
Jun 30th, 2011, 09:01 AM

English and Norwegian Wiki may say that. German, Dutch, Estonian and Spanish Wiki (just to name a few) say something that goes a bit deeper.

El español se usa como segunda lengua, sin estatus oficial.

Spanish is used as a second language without official status. It may not be official, but the people still speak it.

Always compare Wikis in other languages to get more information. ;)

Danči Dementia
Jun 30th, 2011, 09:11 AM
ha! they fooled me then!! :(

they have an embassy in my country and they came to my university to give a conference about their country and the Mister Ambassador always said Spanish was an official language..............next time I´ll believe in wikipedia xD :rolleyes:

sorry for the OT and don´t trust me on this one SamR03A:o

Håkon
Jun 30th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Ah well, I might be wrong. Less geography geekery, more football. :p

Canada-France should be good. Hopefully the missing virus will relent and the Lyon players begin playing like in the CL. Europe needs some good performances to get more spots in the next World Cup.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 30th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Sinclair is in the lineup for Canada against France :D

canuckfan
Jun 30th, 2011, 04:54 PM
That's just embarrassingly awful by Canada. A bunch of headless chickens kicking the ball in the air.

canuckfan
Jun 30th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Can we just give the 2015 World Cup to another country and save ourself the humiliation? :scratch:

Let's just retire both national teams from FIFA tournaments altogether :help:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 30th, 2011, 06:12 PM
That was kind of embarassing....

Srodgers
Jun 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Canada's defense was :help:

Nigeria holding its own with Germany :eek:

Specter
Jun 30th, 2011, 08:07 PM
That's called fouling in every 1 on 1 and being allowed to do so by a shitty ref, not holding its own ... :fiery: :mad:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 30th, 2011, 08:41 PM
So Germany and France advance.
Canada,Nigeria are eliminated

Specter
Jun 30th, 2011, 08:51 PM
France will be a tough nookie to beat for that #1 spot. They're in damn good shape. :eek:

Adrian.
Jun 30th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Germany :facepalm:

But this referee :weirdo:

hablo
Jun 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Sinclair is in the lineup for Canada against France :D

That's just embarrassingly awful by Canada. A bunch of headless chickens kicking the ball in the air.

Can we just give the 2015 World Cup to another country and save ourself the humiliation? :scratch:

Let's just retire both national teams from FIFA tournaments altogether :help:

That was kind of embarassing....

Canada's defense was :help:

Nigeria holding its own with Germany :eek:

I'm kind of glad I couldn't see this Canada's match then. :sad::hysteric:

Håkon
Jul 1st, 2011, 03:42 PM
Japan played really well today. 4-0 over Mexico, not a goal too little. Lots of neat passing.

And 20,000+ in Leverkusen. :p

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2011, 05:07 PM
Japan, the most improved team since the last worl cup.
Sound ball handling capability for each player. Excellent team cohesion.
All this translates into a very able possession team which controls the midfield and does not panic, even in their box.
They build their attack from their own field by efficient passes, and moving to the oppoent half, surely and efficiently

Brazil has stagnated, you can even say they are going backward.
It is collection of individual talents, each doing their own things. There is not team cohesion.
As always, the amercan media is hyping this team, as they have done over the years for the brazilian men team

Nigeria. What an embarrassment!

England. As Alexis Lala says of the English men team, thye are not as good as they think they are.
This true for the men team as well.

Canada
Still waiting for them to have a breakthrough. Underachievers

France :Impressive with their solid style.
Reminds me f their men team in Zidane era. Team has a gread future.

Germany. As a host, underwhelming performance so far. But thye could do better in KO rounds

Absent China. What has happened to a team once overflowing with talents at every position?
Has the corruption that ravaged the men's team also damaged the women program?

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2011, 05:25 PM
Any football fans here?

How come this thread is so slow or inactive with matches going on today?

postalblowfish
Jul 1st, 2011, 06:08 PM
Good performance from England.

Specter
Jul 1st, 2011, 06:11 PM
Any football fans here?

How come this thread is so slow or inactive with matches going on today?

It's always been this way. I thought there might be some place where people talk about the U-17 WC in Mexico, but nobody seems to care about that either. :shrug:

Anywho ... bad loss for NZ today. Could have done more with their chances, of which they had more than enough to take ENG out, but they failed as expected.

Japan and France looking like the best teams of this WC so far. I'll have to watch the other US match before evaluating them, but they looked very solid in their 1st match, too. In turn, Germany and Brazil need to step it up if they want to win this thing.

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2011, 06:24 PM
It's always been this way. I thought there might be some place where people talk about the U-17 WC in Mexico, but nobody seems to care about that either. :shrug:

Anywho ... bad loss for NZ today. Could have done more with their chances, of which they had more than enough to take ENG out, but they failed as expected.

Japan and France looking like the best teams of this WC so far. I'll have to watch the other US match before evaluating them, but they looked very solid in their 1st match, too. In turn, Germany and Brazil need to step it up if they want to win this thing.

That is too bad

Yeah, as I wrote above, Japan is the team that has put on the best performance.
As, individuals players, technically sound, as a team, best cohesion.
However, I am afraid ,their small physical stature might take them off their game when they play a physically strong team, such as Germany, US and England.
France is not too far behind the japanese team

tennisbum79
Jul 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM

Why would they organize the U-17 at the same time as the senior WC?
I don't think that was a good idea, especially, if they want to give maximum exposure to U-17

Srodgers
Jul 1st, 2011, 07:19 PM
Good comeback for England today, they surely needed this result.
Tomorrow: USA easily over Colombia and I think Sweden/North Korea will be close, prob with Sweden coming out on top.

serenaforever
Jul 1st, 2011, 09:44 PM
Germany had better improve their game. Not impressive so far. :shrug:

Plus, if they lose to or tie France, then Brazil and Germany would go into the same half for the KO rounds, both of them being on the other side from the US.

Specter
Jul 1st, 2011, 10:47 PM
Why would they organize the U-17 at the same time as the senior WC?
I don't think that was a good idea, especially, if they want to give maximum exposure to U-17

U-17 boys. ;) Besides, it's in Mexico, so they never play at the same time anyway.

Copa America starting soon, too. I still kind of hope that Mexico can fuck up the party. :lol:

Sindo
Jul 2nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
My personal opinion is that 3 FIFA competitions at the same time are really too many.

Specter
Jul 2nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
My personal opinion is that 3 FIFA competitions at the same time are really too many.

Copa America is CONMEBOL. ;)

Srodgers
Jul 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Sweeden beats North Korea 1-0 and is into the QFs ;)

Now for the US vs. Colombia

Specter
Jul 2nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Attendance on the weekend is awesome! :eek:

Adrian.
Jul 2nd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Sweden :hearts::cheer:

miffedmax
Jul 2nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
Took me awhile to get over the horror of Gold Cup, but I'm watching our gals right now.

(Matches during work didn't help ;)).

kiwifan
Jul 2nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
Awesome!!! Rodriguez goes to the bench!!! That is good coaching...now let's score some goals!!!

USA should pull Abby too, if she keeps flopping around out there...Akers would have been knocking those Colombians on their asses while scoring goals; Abby is trying to draw fouls and she's 80 lbs heavier and a foot taller than everyone else on the pitch!!! :shout:

OK rant over. :cool:

tennisbum79
Jul 2nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Not to take away anything from the US, but Columbia really sucks.

tennisbum79
Jul 2nd, 2011, 05:38 PM
And what's up with Wambach
She is slow, lethargic, heavy and does not fight to get the ball

Rapinoe, on the other hand, has taken over the game

serenaforever
Jul 2nd, 2011, 06:02 PM
good showing from the US. :)

like the commentators said, Abby's getting chances, the goals will come. We've booked our place in the QF, we just have to beat Sweden to top the group. :angel:

tennisbum79
Jul 2nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
good showing from the US. :)

like the commentators said, Abby's getting chances, the goals will come. We've booked our place in the QF, we just have to beat Sweden to top the group. :angel:

Hmm, she seemed fatigued. She was constantly beaten to the ball.

I think Rapinoe show become a starter in the next game. She is a good mid-fiel player

tennisbum79
Jul 2nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Seeing Mia Hamm brings back nice memories.

What an exciting player Mia was! Elegant on the ball, prolific scorer, making people around her better.

Sindo
Jul 2nd, 2011, 11:36 PM
Copa America is CONMEBOL. ;)

Yes but still it's football :D What do they have to do in August for example ? :D

Specter
Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Yes but still it's football :D What do they have to do in August for example ? :D

U-20 WC in Colombia. :)

Vyacheslavovna
Jul 3rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
While I've been channel hopping, I've seen some of this on Eurosport and every match seems to be a full house. Ram with fans. I remember seeing a German goal of the month competition on youtube and one of the goals of the month came from a women's match. At the time I wasn't sure if this was patronising do-gooding or if Germans really like their women's football. It looks like Germans really like their women's football.

Germans :worship:

Håkon
Jul 3rd, 2011, 04:15 PM
Match billed in Norway as 'the world's best player vs the world's best defence.'

Norway slightly more overhyped than David Haye, in other words. (The defence has 88 caps between them, and the LB played midfield in 25 of them.)

Specter
Jul 3rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
Refs might just be the biggest weakness of women's football. Undeserved first goal for Brazil.

PhilePhile
Jul 3rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Looked like the defender stumbled then the contact.

Specter
Jul 3rd, 2011, 05:14 PM
German TV just analyzed the scene again and Marta clearly pushed the defender and that's when she stumbled and fell. Irregular goal.

PhilePhile
Jul 3rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
German TV just analyzed the scene again and Marta clearly pushed the defender and that's when she stumbled and fell. Irregular goal.

That's true. But Marta was gaining on the defender who decided to play Marta and not the ball.

Håkon
Jul 3rd, 2011, 05:25 PM
:facepalm:

kiwifan
Jul 3rd, 2011, 06:46 PM
Looked like the defender stumbled then the contact.

Marta is way faster than that defender. The defender stepped into Marta's path to slow her down and stumbled before Marta's hands went out...defenders don't get that call usually if there isn't a handful of jersey or a change of direction caused by the attacking player.

Attackers get away with way more than that, especially that far outside of the box.

Team Marta. :angel:

Sindo
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Equatorial Guinea was almost defeating Matildas ! :tape:

PhilePhile
Jul 4th, 2011, 04:07 AM
http://yfrog.com/h82d9rewj
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg620/scaled.php?tn=0&server=620&filename=2d9rew.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Specter
Jul 4th, 2011, 01:51 PM
^

Reminds me of these blokes.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6180/gerbay5x4diashow.jpg

tennisbum79
Jul 5th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Refs might just be the biggest weakness of women's football. Undeserved first goal for Brazil.
How about the blunders in the men WC in South Africa?

There was goal by brazil against the Ivory Coast, when the brazilian player used his arm to control the ball before shooting it.
And don't forget the Lampard disallowed goal.

Women WC weakness if the referree, it the overhyped players and teams.

Gemrany, USA, Norway, Australia have all been overhyped.
In the of USA, none of the players on this team would have made the Mia Hamm team, at best Abby Wambach would be a substitute on that team.

Only Japan, France have shown remarkable team foodtball

Specter
Jul 5th, 2011, 12:51 PM
How about the blunders in the men WC in South Africa?

There was goal by brazil against the Ivory Coast, when the brazilian player used his arm to control the ball before shooting it.

I didn't say male refs were flawless, but they're more capable nevertheless.

And don't forget the Lampard disallowed goal.

That wasn't bad reffing. That was karma.

postalblowfish
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Great performance by England! Anita Asante and Jill Scott played fantastically well in the holding midfield role, and Sophie Bradley really didn't seem out of place at centre back. Ellen White's goal was excellent. Bardsley was solid in goal. Aluko really shined when she came on, as did Yankey. Great defensive work too.

:bounce:

France or Germany in the quarter-finals. After a performance like that I think we can give them a really good game.

Specter
Jul 5th, 2011, 07:34 PM
France or Germany in the quarter-finals. After a performance like that I think we can give them a really good game.

It'll be France. Germany is finally playing like the Germany I know and love! :bounce:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 5th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Our soccer system is in shambles. We have so many kids playing the game but no organization to develop them into great players, plus there's no money for the national teams to train and get matches prior to the internationals.

With Canada not qualifying out of the Gold Cup(M) or the World Cup(W)
The CSA needs to look at itself and change A LOT of things.

canuckfan
Jul 5th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Canada will finish last or second to last among all teams :rolls:

6th in the world :spit:

Adrian.
Jul 5th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Germany :bowdown::yeah:

flyingmachine
Jul 5th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Great performance by England! Anita Asante and Jill Scott played fantastically well in the holding midfield role, and Sophie Bradley really didn't seem out of place at centre back. Ellen White's goal was excellent. Bardsley was solid in goal. Aluko really shined when she came on, as did Yankey. Great defensive work too.

That Ellen White's goal was just sensational. :eek:

Specter
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Norway really should add a star to their logo. Brazil is running around with 5, none of which the women won of course, and a country like Norway that should have one doesn't wear it.

Could Norway really be that humble?

Will the Brazilian men start running around with 6 stars, should their women ever win a cup? :lol:

Patrick345
Jul 6th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Norway really should add a star to their logo. Brazil is running around with 5, none of which the women won of course, and a country like Norway that should have one doesn't wear it.

Could Norway really be that humble?

Will the Brazilian men start running around with 6 stars, should their women ever win a cup? :lol:

Interesting question, does Germany have five, three or two?

Specter
Jul 6th, 2011, 06:00 PM
The gals have 2, the guys have 3. The way it should be. :yeah:

matthias
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:21 PM
i have a new favorit player since yesterday
France´s #2 Wendy Renard, the tall defender with the lion-hair, she was so useless against the german header goals despite her heigh :lol:
but she is so tall and looks amazing with her hair.

matthias
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM
http://estb.msn.com/i/3D/CF2A2D2887DA878A61454ED4651B7.jpg

Adrian.
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Ich fand die auch geil gestern :lol:
und vor allem weil sie so schlecht war :haha::spit::happy:

pokey camp
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:48 PM
LePeilbet is just having a shitty day all round. :help: :rolls:

Instead of replacing Rodriguez, I would've liked to see Sundhage give Morgan the start in place of Wambach. She's not 100% and carrying a yellow.

They have a real chance against France. How amazing would it be if England makes the SFs? :eek:

Specter
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:06 PM
i have a new favorit player since yesterday
France´s #2 Wendy Renard, the tall defender with the lion-hair, she was so useless against the german header goals despite her heigh :lol:
but she is so tall and looks amazing with her hair.

I was saying that the whole game! She is a freaking giant but has neither the foresight or positioning nor the correct technique to use her height as an advantage for headers. She was absolutely useless in the air - it was amazing. :worship:

Specter
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:43 PM
My QF preview:

GER v JPN :armed:
SWE v AUS :drink:

ENG v FRA :drool:
BRA v USA :haha:

miffedmax
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Our soccer system is in shambles. We have so many kids playing the game but no organization to develop them into great players, plus there's no money for the national teams to train and get matches prior to the internationals.

No doubt true, but having some MLS teams will also help the men I think.

US women looked bad, but Sweden has had our number the last few times we've played. Brazil will be tough.

Leelee.
Jul 6th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Go Marta Go. I've seen her play in person, she's going to dominate.

tennisbum79
Jul 7th, 2011, 01:24 AM

The can start by calling tte game football:):):):lol:
CSA will becomes CFA.

Most countries, where the sport is king, irrespective of the language, use the word football or its local spelling.

kiwifan
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Sweden flat out kicked our asses...they exposed how slow and lazy our defenders not named Rampone are...they didn't feel the need to pressure our midfield since they passed like shit from all over the field creating turnovers when they didn't just kick the ball over the goal box completely...Abby scored with her shoulder so I wouldn't declare her drought really over, the ball just bounced off her...

...so what positives can we take from this into the Brazil match...if everyone just does whatever they did in this match differently in the next match we should be OK...otherwise I don't know how our defense can cover the Brazilian attack, there might be a lot of dancing this weekend. :scared:

tennisbum79
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Sweden flat out kicked our asses...they exposed how slow and lazy our defenders not named Rampone are...they didn't feel the need to pressure our midfield since they passed like shit from all over the field creating turnovers when they didn't just kick the ball over the goal box completely...Abby scored with her shoulder so I wouldn't declare her drought really over, the ball just bounced off her...

...so what positives can we take from this into the Brazil match...if everyone just does whatever they did in this match differently in the next match we should be OK...otherwise I don't know how our defense can cover the Brazilian attack, there might be a lot of dancing this weekend. :scared:
Brazil has rarely fared well aginst the US, so I wouldn't be so concerned in the short term.

In long term, the team seemed fatigued to me , especially Wambach.
Did they play too many friendlies before going to Germany?

wayitis
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Brazil has rarely fared well aginst the US, so I wouldn't be so concerned in the short term.

In long term, the team seemed fatigued to me , especially Wambach.
Did they play too many friendlies before going to Germany?

if the match goes the way the last times these teams have played in the Olympics, Brazil will dominate the tempo, attack relentessly and miss out on several scoring opportunities, until Wambach somehow hits a header in the 80th minute for a US victory...

Srodgers
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:57 AM
US sucked today :help:

Not going to be surprised if Brazil beats them Sunday.

postalblowfish
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:38 AM
They have a real chance against France. How amazing would it be if England makes the SFs?

It would be fantastic. :):):)

Specter
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:48 PM
It would be fantastic. :):):)

It's not impossible, but I think France have to be considered the favorites. I've seen all their 3 games and aside from the fact that they lost against us, they only had a bad first half. In the second they were right back at their level and really gave us a great match. These girls are very good and very dangerous. Even going to the final isn't impossible in my book as both Brazil and USA are anything but invincible. This also stems from the fact that I thought it would be impossible for Lyon to win the Champions League against Turbine and then they actually did it convincingly. Many of the players of France are from that team and those girls know their football. If I were a betting man I'd go with a FRA v GER rematch in the final. :drool:

postalblowfish
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Aye. France probably have the better players with the better experience. England have a few young players that are pretty good but without a lot of experience. Kelly Smith hasn't had a great tournament yet, but she's capable of pulling genius of the hat.

A lot of goals from set pieces in the France-Germany game, IIRC.

I think a good formation for England would be a similar one to how they played against Japan, esp. with Anita Asante and Jill Scott as the two holding midfield players. They might be able to break up France's midfield play.

veryborednow
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:00 PM
It's not impossible, but I think France have to be considered the favorites. I've seen all their 3 games and aside from the fact that they lost against us, they only had a bad first half. In the second they were right back at their level and really gave us a great match.

Keep in mind that Bompastor was rested, neither Necib and Abily played at the same time, and Delie being a more sophisticated forward than Thomis, I think France is capable of being much more dangerous than they were against Germany.

(And in Renard's defence, she's a right back not a centre back. If there's anything learnt from Fra/Ger and USA/Swe, it's that it's difficult for a player to switch between full and centre back and do the job well).

I'm looking forward to England/France the most because I think it's the match most difficult to predict.

Glad I found this thread, I've been enjoying the WWC very much, I think Germany needs massive kudos for organising such a well attended and publicized event, it was amazing seeing 74,000 people at a women's football match.

Patrick S
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM
...they exposed how slow and lazy our defenders not named Rampone are...To their defence you could say that they faced Josefine Öqvist who probably is one of the fastest forwards in the world. But yeah, it looked kind of funny when the defenders sometimes had a ten meter head start and Öqvist still got to the ball first.

PhilePhile
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM
My QF preview:

GER v JPN :armed:

The Germans might foul themselves out of this match.

SWE v AUS :drink:

Might see an all out brawl on the pitch and/or a riot in the stands.

ENG v FRA :drool:

See who is more stylish.

BRA v USA :haha:

The easy way or the hard way, the Americans are going to lose this match.

tennisbum79
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:36 PM
North Korean Players Fail Drug Tests at Women’s World Soccer

Two North Korean players failed drug tests at the Women’s World Cup (http://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/index.html) in Germany (http://topics.bloomberg.com/germany/), soccer’s governing body said.

Song Jong Sun and Jong Pok Sim were provisionally suspended before yesterday’s game against Colombia in Bochum, FIFA said in a statement, without identifying which substances they tested positive for. The two had been tested after the team’s previous matches and the results received yesterday morning.

As a result, the entire North Korean team was tested after yesterday’s game, FIFA said. North Korea failed to advance out of the group stage.

Colombian goalkeeper Yineth Varon was suspended June 28 after a positive out-of-competition drug test three days earlier. She requested her second sample be tested, which confirmed the first, and disciplinary proceedings have now been opened against her, FIFA said, without identifying the substance.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-07/north-korean-players-fail-drug-tests-at-women-s-world-soccer-championship.html

Specter
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Keep in mind that Bompastor was rested, neither Necib and Abily played at the same time, and Delie being a more sophisticated forward than Thomis, I think France is capable of being much more dangerous than they were against Germany.

My words exactly. :)

The Germans might foul themselves out of this match.

I don't see how that could happen. Japan likes to play, control the game with ball possession. We're at our best against those teams. It's the ones that try to only destroy and interfere with no greater game plan that we struggle against. So there won't be any need for fouls from either team and I'm expecting a very fair match to be honest.

And if you're referring to set-piece goals, then I must say I'm not particularly worried. Silvia Neid has seen all the terrible defending against FRA in those situations and she will do something about it. Then of course there is the overall height advantage. ;)

Sindo
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Hello, I have contacted some of you but you probably though I was a spammer or something :devil: Anyway if someone is interested, this is the FIFA 2011 WC Prediction Contest: http://www.hottestsports.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=548&extra=page%3D1 . I hope someone can be interested, it's just for fun and to make the Olympic forum more interesting. Thanks !

kiwifan
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:26 PM
To their defence you could say that they faced Josefine Öqvist who probably is one of the fastest forwards in the world. But yeah, it looked kind of funny when the defenders sometimes had a ten meter head start and Öqvist still got to the ball first. This drove me crazy. :fiery:

I played soccer in college and I'm quick but not the fastest guy but there are ways to keep possession if you can get just a step on your opponent...in some of these situations they had four to ten steps on their opponent and she still got the ball.

Which is why I added the word "lazy". :tape: :help: :tape:

That was some painful defending.

But you are correct #14 for Sweden deserves all the credit in the world she had not just the speed but the heart to get balls she shouldn't have even tried to go for...and she seemed to win them all. :cool:

miffedmax
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:05 PM
^^^ If you can't get to the ball, you get your body on his/her body and play negative football. I'm not talking about fouling--though Lord knows you could wallpaper a large house with the yellow cards I got over the course of my lifetime--but you get the opponent off stride.

It's the old defenders creed. "The ball can go by. The (wo)man can go by. But the (wo)man can't go by with the ball."

Sometimes, defending is about getting more bruises than touches.

kiwifan
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:51 AM
^^^ If you can't get to the ball, you get your body on his/her body and play negative football. I'm not talking about fouling--though Lord knows you could wallpaper a large house with the yellow cards I got over the course of my lifetime--but you get the opponent off stride.

It's the old defenders creed. "The ball can go by. The (wo)man can go by. But the (wo)man can't go by with the ball."

Sometimes, defending is about getting more bruises than touches.

Preach.

I once ran down the pitch for about 30-40 yards staying in my opponent's way but running the whole time and keeping my eye on the ball, etc...drove that dude crazy...it really isn't that hard to do if you just hustle...

...ps. if the male equivalent of that Swede beat me to the ball twice...he'd be limping already and just a little slower/hesitant the third time around. :devil:

So Germany, Sweden, France, Brazil? :(

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:05 AM
So Germany, Sweden, France, Brazil? :(

I'm thinking Germany, Sweden, France, USA.

Invisible Fan
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Go Brazil! My 2nd favourite team left. It would be good to see Marta play in the final.

veryborednow
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'm going with England, Germany, Australia and Brazil.

Just to mix it up because the winners of the QF seem pretty obvious.

I need a complete nightmare for the 2nd string French goalie and the frozen fear Euro '09-style Sweden when faced with pressure and the usual poor finishing from their forwards.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM
England vs France today

if Eng win :)
if France win, Louisa Necib :hearts:

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:19 PM
if France win, Louisa Necib :hearts:

And Laure Boulleau! :hearts:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3259/1463750fullprt.jpg

pokey camp
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:27 PM
France is so dangerous, totally dominating.

Goal England. NID. :lol: :smoke:

Adrian.
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:32 PM
France is much better :fiery:

Alléz! :rocker2::cheer:

kiwifan
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:50 PM
France is much better :fiery:

Alléz! :rocker2::cheer:They play a beautiful game and deserve the win...

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Overtime. And England is on the ropes. :oh:

Adrian.
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Allez les bleues :rocker2::woohoo:

pokey camp
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:04 PM
They play a beautiful game and deserve the win...

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Yes, it would be sports justice if France could pull this out. There's feeling of inevitability about this game and now England is dead on their feet.

Either way.... Bardsley. :bowdown:

matthias
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Wendie not playing :(

PhilePhile
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:11 PM
That was 15 minutes?

Adrian.
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:18 PM
:lol:
I felt the same way :lol:

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:29 PM
How can a team be that much better and not make the goal ... :facepalm:

kiwifan
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Well now that it has gone to penalties, I'll cheer for the American goal keeper...USA, USA, USA!!!

:devil:

oh well, the better team advanced. :angel:

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:42 PM
FRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE!!!! :cheer:

Justice is served!! Allez!

England penalties. :oh:

Adrian.
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:43 PM
:oh: England :happy:

France :cheer::woohoo::cheer:

matthias
England and penalties :facepalm: :lol:
it´s already a running joke

the english girl was so stupid, after she was placing the ball, the ball was rolling in to a hole
no male player would kick this ball, and after i saw this i knew she would miss

SloKid
Well that was oddly predictable. :lol:

azdaja
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:44 PM
england + penalty shootouts = comedy. i see it's the same for women as it is for men.

Hurley
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Typical ENG soccer lulz. Nice to know it spans both sexes.

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:45 PM
England and penalties :facepalm: :lol:
it´s already a running joke

the english girl was so stupid, after she was placing the ball, the ball was rolling in to a hole
no male player would kick this ball, and after i saw this i knew she would miss

The one who was standing a meter from the ball. :help:

matthias
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Germany vs. Japan
and thehottest chick is the referee in hot-pants to show her long and pretty legs

matthias
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:46 PM
i expect Japan to trouble the German Team today, i hope German girls can win this

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Kulig out. Fuck.

postalblowfish
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Great English performance against a team that on the whole probably had the better players. Not sure about Smith's handball before the English goal, and Bardsley was well off her line before the saved French penalty, which probably should've been re-taken.

Hopefully this run'll raise the profile of the women's game in England.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Great English performance against a team that on the whole probably had the better players. Not sure about Smith's handball before the English goal, and Bardsley was well off her line before the saved French penalty, which probably should've been re-taken.

Hopefully this run'll raise the profile of the women's game in England.

penalty missing players might get Pizza ad's now :D

postalblowfish
Jul 9th, 2011, 08:13 PM
penalty missing players might get Pizza ad's now :D

Aye.

:)

FORZA SARITA
Jul 9th, 2011, 08:33 PM
this match is so horrible :weirdo:

Adrian.
Jul 9th, 2011, 08:37 PM
:rolls:
It's funny :oh:

FORZA SARITA
Jul 9th, 2011, 08:39 PM
:rolls:
It's funny :oh:

maybe i'm too used to men's football but girls are horrible :tape: always lose the control of the ball :lol:

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 08:44 PM
maybe i'm too used to men's football but girls are horrible :tape: always lose the control of the ball :lol:

It's lack of awareness, I think. They usually don't know where their teammates or opponents are, where they are in relation to the ball and so on. You combine that with the questionable technique you get a lot of WTF moments.

But keep in mind, most of these women are amateurs or semi-pros at most. You can't expect them to be on equal footing with male pros.

FORZA SARITA
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:01 PM
i wanted penalties :(

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Japan go 1-0 in ET :o

pokey camp
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Oh Germany... :eek:

Malkmus_
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:04 PM
:sad: The girls did us proud today.

What is it with England football teams and losing on penalties?! :sobbing:

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Can't win if you don't shoot goals. :shrug:

Allez les Bleus, I guess.

hablo
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:15 PM
France and Japan winning: such upsets... :eek::bowdown:

Joana
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Why didn't Fatmire Bajramaj play?

pokey camp
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:16 PM
STUNNED. :speakles:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:18 PM
OMG! I'm stunned! :eek:

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:19 PM

She loses more balls than the whole team together these days. It's like she's working for the other team sometimes.

tennisbum79
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:19 PM
What a match form Japan!!
They deserve to win, just as France

matthias
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Deserved victory for Japan against a german Team without any creative ideas

and imo the victory against France wasn´t that good as many people/media/Neid used to praise
and if Sweden win tomorrow the german girls will not go to London 2012

too much pressure, too much hype, and not good Football from Germany the whole WC

matthias
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:20 PM
because she is a uselesss overhyped player witohut a eye for her teammates

matthias
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Now i hope Sweden will win the title
please not the arrogant Brasilian or US American girls

tennisbum79
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:23 PM
France and Japan winning: such upsets... :eek::bowdown:
The 2 best technical sound teams deserve to win their respective.

They are 2 excellent possession teams, it is only football justice that they came out the winner.

France should have won on in the 90-minute regulation time!! So many chances they had to put England away.

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Deserved victory for Japan against a german Team without any creative ideas

and imo the victory against France wasn´t that good as many people/media/Neid used to praise
and if Sweden win tomorrow the german girls will not go to London 2012

too much pressure, too much hype, and not good Football from Germany the whole WC

At the end of the second overtime half I was looking at a free kick and it was like deja vu because they had been doing this all game long. They had dozens of free kicks and corners and couldn't bring a single one on goal - that's just not good enough anymore.

And that the hype was going to crush these girls like empty milk cartons was foreseeable.

Joana
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM
She loses more balls than the whole team together these days. It's like she's working for the other team sometimes.

Thanks. :lol: She's one of the few players I've heard of and I was curious to see how she'd play. Too bad.

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Now i hope Sweden will win the title
please not the arrogant Brasilian or US American girls

Anyone but those two. We'd never hear the end of it. :o

matthias
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:34 PM
and the German Team looked so tired, not just physically, even mentally
before the WC started i had the bad feeling Germany will not win the title, because of the huge pressure and high expectations
media expected them to take the title on a cakewalk

Adrian.
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Believe it or not, but I told my friend before the match started, that Japan will in overtime :oh::happy:

veryborednow
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:38 PM
And that the hype was going to crush these girls like empty milk cartons was foreseeable.
This. It can't be easy to go from barely 1,000 people showing up to your match to the whole country putting you under a similar level of scrutiny as the men's national team.

Also, it feels like transition time for Germany with all the young players coming through.

Did anyone else feel the turning point in that match was Kulig going off injured? Schmidt isn't in the same league as Bresonik and towards the end the attack was going through her, I was wishing that Bresonik was still on the field. Why didn't Neid put Bresonik back in the right-back position once she'd bought Gosling on?

Spent the whole of the England-France match wondering how the hell England wasn't losing by 83956 goals, I wish England had won but France were so superior - did England manage to string more than a couple a passes together? - it's impossible to be too upset. Though I wonder why Asante wasn't a starter.

tennisbum79
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I think Fatmire and Prinz could have helped at the end.
Anyway, the best team on the picth won today.

In my first post analysis of the teams, I had pedicted the dominance of France and Japan in ball possession category, and it has proven true so far. see below

Japan, the most improved team since the last worl cup.
Sound ball handling capability byeach player. Excellent team cohesion.
All this translates into a very able possession team which controls the midfield and does not panic, even in their box.
They build their attack from their own field by efficient passes, and moving to the oppoent half, surely and efficiently

Brazil has stagnated, you can even say they are going backward.
It is collection of individual talents, each doing their own things. There is not team cohesion.
As always, the amercan media is hyping this team, as they have done over the years for the brazilian men team

Nigeria. What an embarrassment!

England. As Alexis Lala says of the English men team, thye are not as good as they think they are.
This true for the WOmen team as well.

Canada
Still waiting for them to have a breakthrough. Underachievers

France :Impressive with their solid style.
Reminds me f their men team in Zidane era. Team has a gread future.

Germany. As a host, underwhelming performance so far. But thye could do better in KO rounds

Absent China. What has happened to a team once overflowing with talents at every position?
Has the corruption that ravaged the men's team also damaged the women program?

veryborednow
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I'm going with England, Germany, Australia and Brazil.
I am a prediction genius, bring on tomorrow!

Lira is out of form (even if she is a ball hogger, she was an effective ball hogger 2 seasons ago) and Prinz is slow but she might have been a better option linking up with Mbabi than Popp - who never got going.

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Did anyone else feel the turning point in that match was Kulig going off injured? Schmidt isn't in the same league as Bresonik and towards the end the attack was going through her, I was wishing that Bresonik was still on the field. Why didn't Neid put Bresonik back in the right-back position once she'd bought Gosling on?

I'm sorry, I can't agree with you on this at all. Schmidt was excellent on right back and she and Behringer put constant pressure on Japan from that side. She's the future of this team on right back and deservedly so. Bresonik doesn't battle as much and is not that strong offensively. That she shouldn't have played central midfield alongside Laudehr is obvious though, despite her reputation as an all-rounder. I was surprised to see her in that role.

Also, Popp should have come in way earlier and against da Mbabi. It really wasn't her day today.

veryborednow
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I'm sorry, I can't agree with you on this at all. Schmidt was excellent on right back and she and Behringer put constant pressure on Japan from that side. She's the future of this team on right back and deservedly so. Bresonik doesn't battle as much and is not that strong offensively. That she shouldn't have played central midfield alongside Laudehr is obvious though, despite her reputation as an all-rounder. I was surprised to see her in that role.

Also, Popp should have come in way earlier and against da Mbabi. It really wasn't her day today.

Defensively she was fine, but her balls into the box, invariably played too close to the keeper, were poor as were her passes in the final third. Typified by Behringer and herself almost triping over each other in the last few minutes, Schmidt took the ball when she should've given it to Behringer, and then kicked the ball which went straight to a Japanese player.

I think Bresonik is better at delivering those kind of balls & long range scoring efforts, has more experience in pressure situations, and plays regularly with Grings, Popp, and Laudehr. I would've kept her where she was and bought Gosling in for Kulig. I think those 2 subsitutions reduced Neid's options for the 3rd substitution when she could've had two. Neither Gosling nor Bresonik offer Kulig's attacking verve which they missed when she came off too.

Poor Grings. No WWC for her :(

I hope Neid goes. If Sweden win tomorrow I can see that happening.

Patrick345
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:05 PM
SIEG!!!

Oops. :lol:

Envy sucked. She should be fired. Whole tournament was a mess. She demoted two players that finished 2nd and 3rd in world footballer of the year votes to raise her own profile and it backfired. What was that solgan "3rd places are for men". I guess so. :lol:

tennisbum79
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Now that germany is out, who would get the german fans support?

I am thinking Japan, not only because of the tragedy that happened to the country earlier this year, but also because of their beaufitul football on the pitch.
Japan and France are 2 teams that are easy to like because of their seductive possession style, made possible by excellent individual technical talents and team cohesion.