PDA

View Full Version : Chris Evert Does NOT Know What She's Talking About...

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:11 PM
OH! MY FUCKING GOD :facepalm:

Chris Evert said that Serena won the '04 US Open QF because of 3 or 4 bad calls against Jennifer Capriati :rolleyes: :o

Why is she commentating again?

doomsday
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Se obviously made a mistake we all know Serena got robbed.

Temperenka
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:13 PM
:lol: Other than that little mistake, I think she is a good commentator. :shrug:

Cam'ron Giles
I was just about to post about the same thing...she is an idiot...

lefty24
It's just one mistake. And she's commentating because she's one of the best tennis players ever. :rolleyes:

Mistress of Evil
she made a mistake, so what :shrug: yeah, its a hurtful topic indeed but ,all in all, what an entertaining commentator she is :D

Svetlana)))
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Chrissie honey.

DefyingGravity
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Wow...okay...one mistake. Give her a break. It's better than Dick Edberg being a gross sounding perve (and break point for the young Maria Sharapova/Ana Ivanovic/Daniela Hantuchova/any attractive. Delicious point for the sultry Serb...), Ted Robinson saying for the millionth time "Wimbledon 2004 was the first time I had ever seen Serena Williams on her back foot the entire match..." etc.

Sp!ffy
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:16 PM
My favorite part was when Pam Shriver said "I think it was Serena who got the bad calls...but it doesn't matter". :hearts:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:17 PM
My favorite part was when Pam Shriver said "I think it was Serena who got the bad calls...but it doesn't matter". :hearts:

Indeed.

I mean, it's not REALLY a big deal. :shrug:

It's like saying that Mahut won that match last year, or that Serena cheated used tactics to win the 2003 RG SF w/ Henin.

But apart from that, she has been good and she does know a LOT about the game.

VishaalMaria
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Bad is not the word, more abominable those calls were. But whatever.

Chris must be embarrassed.

serenaforever
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:20 PM
All that dick going to her brain

:lol::yeah:

pokey camp
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Indeed.

I mean, it's not REALLY a big deal. :shrug:

It's like saying that Mahut won that match last year, or that Serena cheated used tactics to win the 2003 RG SF w/ Henin.

But apart from that, she has been good and she does know a LOT about the game.
As soon as she said that I KNEW somewhere a Serena fan was hot over it. :lol:

I feel you, but TBH other than that obvious mistake so far shes been doing a great job, nice voice, knowledgeable, respects the women's game and tends to focus on tactics... We've certainly suffered through much, much worse. :tape:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:27 PM

I feel you, but TBH other than that obvious mistake so far shes been doing a great job, nice voice, knowledgeable, respects the women's game and tends to focus on tactics... We've certainly suffered through much, much worse. :tape:

True :lol:

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:29 PM

You're back :bowdown::inlove:.

Chrissie-fan
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:33 PM
She obviously just accidentally switched the names of the two - big deal. Kinda like those commentators who sometimes refer to Li Na as Ni La.

Calypso
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:34 PM
:lol: Other than that little mistake, I think she is a good commentator. :shrug:

This. I don't think she's that bad:confused:

sluggahjells
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Wow...okay...one mistake. Give her a break. It's better than Dick Edberg being a gross sounding perve (and break point for the young Maria Sharapova/Ana Ivanovic/Daniela Hantuchova/any attractive. Delicious point for the sultry Serb...), Ted Robinson saying for the millionth time "Wimbledon 2004 was the first time I had ever seen Serena Williams on her back foot the entire match..." etc.

:rolls:

Awesome, so very true.

pokey camp
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:37 PM
True :lol:
Just know the keywords there were "so far"... Im reserving the right to bitch at a later date if necessary. :cool:

JCTennisFan
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:39 PM
But to set the record straight..... the bad calls did NOT cost Serena the match. The point most talk about in that match was a game which Serena was serving on, and she ended up WINNING that game anyways. Its not like say a Venus/Karantancheva situation where the wrong point was awarded in a TB at Wimbledon. Jenny didnt do anything wrong in this match and honestly won it fair and square, she afterall had beaten Serena earlier in the year at the French Open as well.

Bonfire
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I wish I could say I liked her commentating....but I never have. She is a legend on the court but in the booth...she doesn't have it like for instance Pam does. She always says things that make me scratch my head (although this Jen/Serena mixup was one of the worst) but it's awkward when Chrissie says wrong info and you can just feel Pam wanting to say something but holding back. Surprised more people haven't noticed this more because for me I've gotten to the point where I expect it.

18majors
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Chris is good at what she does always.

JCTennisFan
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:44 PM
And to defend Evert she does still have alot more things that she does, Pam is able to focus alot more on just commentating. That extra time can usually be spent making sure your facts are right. Evert just isnt going into these commentating situations with all the info she needs, and isnt checking her facts. She is going off memory and sometimes she flubs it a bit, but that is to be expected. I think she is actually pretty darned smart and like her perspective for the most part, now Nav commentating on the other hand.....

2moretogo
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:45 PM

I wouldn't call it a "little mistake." It is/was one of the most notorious matches in tennis history. It literally changed modern technology in tennis as we know it.:lol: I mean the freaking empire was investigated!! :help:

But Chrissie's fine. It happens that we switch the names around. Plus Pammy got to be like, "It's ok Chris." I can just hear her voice.

Temperenka
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't call it a "little mistake." It is/was one of the most notorious matches in tennis history. It literally changed modern technology in tennis as we know it.:lol: I mean the freaking empire was investigated!! :help:

But what negative implications does Chris making this mistake have? None.

Everyone needs to cool down. :cool:

JCTennisFan
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:48 PM
And for all the controversy Jennifer still won the match fairly... Sad to see that she is constantly thought of as "robbing" this match, and the US 04, from Serena. She beat her fair and square, the bad linecalls were noncritical points ultimately.

Bonfire
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:50 PM
And to defend Evert she does still have alot more things that she does, Pam is able to focus alot more on just commentating. That extra time can usually be spent making sure your facts are right. Evert just isnt going into these commentating situations with all the info she needs, and isnt checking her facts. She is going off memory and sometimes she flubs it a bit, but that is to be expected. I think she is actually pretty darned smart and like her perspective for the most part, now Nav commentating on the other hand.....

That makes sense. It does seem more like a serious career for Pam whereas with Chris...it's more like something she goes and does every once in a while. She just talks through the matches from her own perspective as a past champion. For instance, your never gonna hear Chris do an intro or outro into a commercial break where you have to have timing and the right energy to give the viewers. Pam can do those things. Chris just shows up and talks openly. She probably doesn't know or even care to know all the little tricks of being a solid commentator.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:52 PM
She obviously just accidentally switched the names of the two - big deal. Kinda like those commentators who sometimes refer to Li Na as Ni La.
:haha: not.even.close.

But to set the record straight..... the bad calls did NOT cost Serena the match. The point most talk about in that match was a game which Serena was serving on, and she ended up WINNING that game anyways. Its not like say a Venus/Karantancheva situation where the wrong point was awarded in a TB at Wimbledon. Jenny didnt do anything wrong in this match and honestly won it fair and square, she afterall had beaten Serena earlier in the year at the French Open as well.

:o Jennifer didn't do anything wrong. No one accused her of anything.

But no. Jennifer did win that game :o
1i01hHRXeBQ

and it wasn't just THAT call. There were SEVERAL
xtkKdCeQgQM

But like everyone said, it's all ancient history.

Serena's won a US Open since then, so :shrug:

HippityHop
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I agree that JenCap won the match. But let's be thankful for those bad calls becase they were probably the catalyst for the challenge system which I like. :)

2moretogo
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:58 PM

Does it make Chris a bad person because she made a mistake. Heck no, we all make mistakes/misspeak. I am just pointing out if, for instance, Chris said Serena beat Sharapova in 2004 people would be like wtf? Hell, the mistake probably wouldn't have ever been made. The almost laissez-faire attitude that tennis commentators have about facts and stats does a disservice to the game. You don't see this on other sports without it being on a blopper reel or something. :lol:

Drystan
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:06 PM
and it wasn't just THAT call. There were SEVERAL
xtkKdCeQgQM

And from what it looks like in this video, that last "noncritical" bad call gave Capriati a match point :help:

Marlene
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:10 PM
What was the context, why did the Serena-Capriati match come up?

Lucemferre
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:11 PM
:help: Just goes to show in her mind Serena is always the one to blame.Embarrassing mistake. That match was a disgrace.

englando08
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:14 PM
She is ok. Her voice just bores me :o

Aaron.
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:16 PM
But to set the record straight..... the bad calls did NOT cost Serena the match. The point most talk about in that match was a game which Serena was serving on, and she ended up WINNING that game anyways. Its not like say a Venus/Karantancheva situation where the wrong point was awarded in a TB at Wimbledon. Jenny didnt do anything wrong in this match and honestly won it fair and square, she afterall had beaten Serena earlier in the year at the French Open as well. :facepalm:

pov
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:16 PM
All that

I'm really hoping you're 17 at the oldest.

sluggahjells
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:23 PM

Just talking about a challenge point, that's all.

JCTennisFan
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Looking back over the footage it is sad to see there were indeed more than one call, I most remember the BH DTL shot that serena made which was clearly in. I was almost certain that she went on to win that game but it turns out she broke Capriati the next game to even things back. It is unfortunate to see that there were more than one bad call, because that starts to weigh on the player mentally and can negatively impact their performance. But I still believe that Capriati won that match fairly, just unfortunate to see a champion like her have such a tarnished last Victory at a GS event.

Serenita
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Looking back over the footage it is sad to see there were indeed more than one call, I most remember the BH DTL shot that serena made which was clearly in. I was almost certain that she went on to win that game but it turns out she broke Capriati the next game to even things back. It is unfortunate to see that there were more than one bad call, because that starts to weigh on the player mentally and can negatively impact their performance. But I still believe that Capriati won that match fairly, just unfortunate to see a champion like her have such a tarnished last Victory at a GS event.
Oh No Fanboy in full swing.

Anyway's she made a silly mistake many people do. :shrug:

LadyBugLove
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:41 PM
All due respect to Chrissie's accomplishments, but she is a terrible commentator and living w-a-y in the past. Very hard to listen to her. Not credible to commentate on the modern game at all.

I also note that the best players to ever come out of her academy in the last many years are Anna Tatishvili and Anastasia Pivovarova, which speaks to her inability to identify potential ( by modern standards) and develop players that can compete in the modern game.

edificio
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:43 PM
And for all the controversy Jennifer still won the match fairly... Sad to see that she is constantly thought of as "robbing" this match, and the US 04, from Serena. She beat her fair and square, the bad linecalls were noncritical points ultimately.

WRONG! Capriati did not win fairly. She showed poor sportsmanship. :shrug:

Also, Chris has always been a boring commentator, but her mistake today was unbelievable. Come on! She didn't even realize she made an error when Pam kindly corrected her. She probably still thinks Capriati was robbed.

Anyway, Pam is a lot more fun, even in her mistakes, than Chris has ever been as a commentator.

Bad line calls in the Dokic/Schiavone match. They were bad. Thank the gods for Hawkeye.

DownInAHole
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Eh, I don't see what the problem is. She made a mistake. So what? I noticed it immediately and thought it was a little odd but I don't think it's anything to get upset about.

I thought it was funnier that one of them (I think it was Chris) suggested getting the fact checkers on it and then there was mention of the old competitive juices starting to flow.

Justin
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:45 PM

Damn right. If only some of the tennisforum posters would call off the firing squad for a simple mistake. Jesus. :rolleyes:

Justin
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:50 PM

It was Sprem/Venus. No harm; just saying. Now if Chrissy made that mistake, I am sure there would be a few threads created about how you do NOT what you're talking about. :devil:

JCTennisFan
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=edificio;19757657]WRONG! Capriati did not win fairly. She showed poor sportsmanship. :shrug:

All I remember of her was when asked right after winning if she felt bad about how the match went she said something to the effect of "It was unfortunate but Ive had bad luck too, it happens to all of us" and got booed. I personally felt she was pretty accurate, especially considering the year before she put on a Display against Henin that made the Belgian require IV fluids after the match... So she has had her bad luck too. :confused:

Chrissie-fan
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Damn right. If only some of the tennisforum posters would call off the firing squad for a simple mistake. Jesus. :rolleyes:
Yeah. If only people here would be half as critical of themselves as they are of others this would be a terrific forum. ;)

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:55 PM
All due respect to Chrissie's accomplishments, but she is a terrible commentator and living w-a-y in the past. Very hard to listen to her. Not credible to commentate on the modern game at all.

I also note that the best players to ever come out of her academy in the last many years are Anna Tatishvili and Anastasia Pivovarova, which speaks to her inability to identify potential ( by modern standards) and develop players that can compete in the modern game.

:shrug: Basically.

:facepalm:

Exactly. Like...did you WATCH the match? The calls won the match for Jennifer. Point.Blank.

:help: Just goes to show in her mind Serena is always the one to blame.Embarrassing mistake. That match was a disgrace.

Right :o

And from what it looks like in this video, that last "noncritical" bad call gave Capriati a match point :help:

Basically. I almost feel like that missed DF and that FH RIGHT in front of the chair were almost worse than the BH at 0-0 in the 3rd.

JCTennisFan
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:00 PM
It was Sprem/Venus. No harm; just saying. Now if Chrissy made that mistake, I am sure there would be a few threads created about how you do NOT what you're talking about. :devil:

Oh Snap! No you didnt :spit: :yeah: . Dang, makes me wonder which match I was thinking of.... :shrug:

Marlene
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Just talking about a challenge point, that's all.

Thanks. So, basically it was just an offhand remark - Evert confused the two, Pam corrected her - moving on. A nonincident.

Dave.
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I've only heard her commentate a few times but it is quite clear she doesn't follow the main tour even semi-regularly and is only in the booth because of her name. So basically the kind of person I'm not interested in hearing commentate.

Is quite shocking she's getting paid to commentate on tennis and can't even correctly recall one of the most significant matches of the past decade. :unsure:

LightWarrior
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Some Serena fans -and God know I'm a big Serena fan myself- should really let it go. Chris is a very good commentator and just because she gets mixed up ONCE, "she doesn't know what she's talking about"...Do you want me to post the OPEN LETTER she wrote to Serena to shut you up ?

JN
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Maybe she's a tea bagger... they like to re-write history. :shrug:

Chrissie-fan
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Some Serena fans -and God know I'm a big Serena fan myself- should really let it go. Chris is a very good commentator and just because she gets mixed up ONCE, "she doesn't know what she's talking about"...
Most fans of either Williams sister sure thought that she knew what she was talking about when she argued that both of them should get a high seeding. ;)

edificio
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks. So, basically it was just an offhand remark - Evert confused the two, Pam corrected her - moving on. A nonincident.

Wrong. Chris did not acknowledge the correction. You had to hear it.

Frankly, Chris has never been a good commentator, even if she knows a lot about tennis in the 80s. I'm surprised people like her, to tell the truth. I never thought she added much, except the name.

Most fans of either Williams sister sure thought that she knew what she was talking about when she argued that both of them should get a high seeding. ;)

You did a poll? If not, how do you know that "most fans of either Williams sister ... thought" blah blah blah. No, you don't know. You just want to make some partisan point.:rolleyes:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I've only heard her commentate a few times but it is quite clear she doesn't follow the main tour even semi-regularly and is only in the booth because of her name. So basically the kind of person I'm not interested in hearing commentate.

Is quite shocking she's getting paid to commentate on tennis and can't even correctly recall one of the most significant matches of the past decade. :unsure:

This.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q118/cw2oo7/gifs/Untitled-135.gif

Smitten
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM
OH! MY FUCKING GOD :facepalm:

Chris Evert said that Serena won the '04 US Open QF because of 3 or 4 bad calls against Jennifer Capriati :rolleyes: :o

Why is she commentating again?

:sobbing: It's one of her few flaws. Did she really say that?

Marlene
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Wrong. Chris did not acknowledge the correction. You had to hear it.

OK, I'll take your word for it.

Serenita
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:07 PM
:lol:

sluggahjells
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM

Showing a rational and aware political perspective for the win. :bounce:

Sammo
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:33 PM
The age...

Chrissie-fan
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:36 PM
You did a poll? If not, how do you know that "most fans of either Williams sister ... thought" blah blah blah. No, you don't know. You just want to make some partisan point.:rolleyes:
No problem, mate. I apologize (now there's a first for GM :lol:). I'm sure that you know best, no need to be so agressive. ;)

justineheninfan
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Chris is an amazing player but is one of the worst commentators in tennis history. ESPN made their commentary crew even worse by adding her, and I didnt think that was even possible. I laugh when people here use quotes from her to promote a point about a player they like, particularly the Seles fans who use her quotes downplaying Graf and building up Seles as meaning anything. The roll call of stupidity from her:

-before Venus-Hingis quarterfinal at 98 French she said for her that was the real final.

-at Wimbledon 98 she said if Venus-Serena didnt have to play in 4th round they would both make atleast the semis. Serena wasnt even a top 20 player at the time. Serena would go on to lose 3rd round to Ruano Pascaul, while Venus would lose in quarters to Janan Novotna.

-Claiming Capriati was playing less than half of her potential and Kim is playing her absolute best during 2001 French Open final.

-Claiming Jana had a big chance to win Wimbledon 97 since Capriati was not there. :tape: :lol:

-Repeatedly saying before each slam final that has a firsttimer almost nobody wins their first ever slam final. So I guess she forgot about Margaret Court, Virginia Wade, Ann Jones, Evonne Goolagong, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Sanchez Vicario, Tracy Austin, Maria Bueno, Conchita Martinez, Iva Majoli, Serena Williams, Lindsay Davenport, Martina Hingis, Sue Barker, and probably many others. Just because YOU did not win your first slam final does not mean this is true of all others.

-Barbara Schwarz used finesse, not power, after her win over Venus at the 99 French.

-Claiming Capriati was favorite to win Wimbledon 2001 over Venus and Davenport.

-Claiming Venus and Serena should automatically be put on seperate halves of the draw all the time (she made this comment in the mid 2000s when neither was the best at the time).

The Witch-king
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I'm really hoping you're 17 at the oldest.

:unsure: I don't really fucks with pedo's tho.

edificio
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:07 PM
No problem, mate. I apologize (now there's a first for GM :lol:). I'm sure that you know best, no need to be so agressive. ;)

You think that was aggressive? :tape:

matty
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:07 PM

:worship:

Chrissie-fan
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:15 PM
You think that was aggressive? :tape:
No, I must reconsider. You were very nice indeed. :hug:

tennisbum79
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:16 PM

So why don't yopu just say, instead of calling it "a little mistake".

What would be a big mistake?
As other posters have already said, she is a commentator, this was one of the major matches at the USO.

LoveFifteen
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:16 PM
ESPN didn't bring Chris into the booth because she has been wasting 5+ hours per day on tennisforum.com for the past decade memorizing every minute detail of the sport. She got mixed up. It happens. She still knows a lot about how to play tennis, construct points, etc. It's clear that she hasn't been obsessively following women's tennis every day of her life for the past decade though.

swim4life227
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Her commentating is fine. What I do NOT like is when any veteran talks about "back in my day..." over and over again. You were a great champ Chris but we're all fucking over it now. It is about 2011, not the 1980's. Her and Pam are non factors now.

brickhousesupporter
Jun 21st, 2011, 12:01 AM
At what point in the match did this happen? Anyone remember?

Matt01
Jun 21st, 2011, 12:19 AM
No, I must reconsider. You were very nice indeed. :hug:

:spit: :lol:

hablo
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:03 AM
What an awful mistake to make on air... :tape:

Bonfire
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:11 AM
What an awful mistake to make on air... :tape:

Yes and I understand that people make mistakes and that is fine but even after Pam tried to correct her, Chris was like..."I'll have to go back and check those stats and see" or something like that:lol:
That 2004 match was like one of the biggest, most memorable moments of WTA in a long time and pretty much brought about the challenge system.
Not hating on Chris here at all...just trying to figure out how she has spent seven years thinking it was the other way around. I literally can't figure her out on this one. Amazing game she had though:worship: but :confused:

shoryuken
Jun 21st, 2011, 02:46 AM
Yes and I understand that people make mistakes and that is fine but even after Pam tried to correct her, Chris was like..."I'll have to go back and check those stats and see" or something like that:lol:
That 2004 match was like one of the biggest, most memorable moments of WTA in a long time and pretty much brought about the challenge system.
Not hating on Chris here at all...just trying to figure out how she has spent seven years thinking it was the other way around. I literally can't figure her out on this one. Amazing game she had though:worship: but :confused:

So she did believe it was Cappy who got cheated on? :help:

Slammer7
Jun 21st, 2011, 03:33 AM
All that dick going to her brain
OK, I literally :happy: when I read that. :rolls:

True, Chris would have to be drunk on air and swearing to make most people miss Carillo. :lol: And Pam already has the market cornered on that act. :drink: :devil:
Just know the keywords there were "so far"... Im reserving the right to bitch at a later date if necessary. :cool:
:lol: Me too.

Yes it was just a mistake, but it was one doozy of a mistake though. :lol: I had to rewind my DVR to make sure I heard it right, because that match gets referenced ALL THE TIME on tennis broadcasts and that's the first time I've ever heard it get screwed up. :eek:

Whitehead's Boy
Jun 21st, 2011, 05:27 AM
Chris is an amazing player but is one of the worst commentators in tennis history. ESPN made their commentary crew even worse by adding her, and I didnt think that was even possible. I laugh when people here use quotes from her to promote a point about a player they like, particularly the Seles fans who use her quotes downplaying Graf and building up Seles as meaning anything. The roll call of stupidity from her:

-before Venus-Hingis quarterfinal at 98 French she said for her that was the real final.

-at Wimbledon 98 she said if Venus-Serena didnt have to play in 4th round they would both make atleast the semis. Serena wasnt even a top 20 player at the time. Serena would go on to lose 3rd round to Ruano Pascaul, while Venus would lose in quarters to Janan Novotna.

-Claiming Capriati was playing less than half of her potential and Kim is playing her absolute best during 2001 French Open final.

-Claiming Jana had a big chance to win Wimbledon 97 since Capriati was not there. :tape: :lol:

-Repeatedly saying before each slam final that has a firsttimer almost nobody wins their first ever slam final. So I guess she forgot about Margaret Court, Virginia Wade, Ann Jones, Evonne Goolagong, Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, Sanchez Vicario, Tracy Austin, Maria Bueno, Conchita Martinez, Iva Majoli, Serena Williams, Lindsay Davenport, Martina Hingis, Sue Barker, and probably many others. Just because YOU did not win your first slam final does not mean this is true of all others.

-Barbara Schwarz used finesse, not power, after her win over Venus at the 99 French.

-Claiming Capriati was favorite to win Wimbledon 2001 over Venus and Davenport.

-Claiming Venus and Serena should automatically be put on seperate halves of the draw all the time (she made this comment in the mid 2000s when neither was the best at the time).

How the hell do you remember all this. :unsure: Most of it is not even outrageous, it's just her opinions and there's nothing wrong with them. The only silly opinion in the list is claiming Novotna was a favourite in 97 because Capriati wasn't playing, but I REALLY doubt she said that because in 97, Capriati was not a slam favourite at all, especially not at Wimbledon.

Commentators talk for HOURS. It's normal they get some things wrong, or mix up players. Maybe it's because they have a life and don't read tennisforum 10 hours a day...

justineheninfan
Jun 21st, 2011, 05:42 AM
How the hell do you remember all this. :unsure: Most of it is not even outrageous, it's just her opinions and there's nothing wrong with them. The only silly opinion in the list is claiming Novotna was a favourite in 97 because Capriati wasn't playing, but I REALLY doubt she said that because in 97, Capriati was not a slam favourite at all, especially not at Wimbledon.

Commentators talk for HOURS. It's normal they get some things wrong, or mix up players. Maybe it's because they have a life and don't read tennisforum 10 hours a day...

I remember it since I watched alot of womens tenns in the 90s and early 2000s when womens tennis was stellar but Chrissie the crappy commentator was constantly on display. And since I have an excellent memory and I remember points of matches and comments even if I happen to watch only once, which I usually do unless it was a classic. And as for the Capriati comment she said Wimbledon 97 was wide open for Novotona to win since Graf was out of Wimbledon, Seles had lost, AND Capriati wasnt playing late in Jana easy semifinal win over Sanchez Vicario. Those were her exact words. The Seles part is almost equally dumb considering Seles was a blimp around then and was regularly losing to Jana on clay at the time. If you wish find a tape of the Sanchez-Novotna semifinal of Wimbledon 97 and go to the final 2 games and see for yourself.

And all the others I posted that Chris DID say were ridiculous. Schwarz a finesse player, LOL! And Schwarz hit many more winners than Venus in that 99 French Open match which was unheard of against Venus on any surface around that time. Venus the defacto final of the 98 French when she was #8 in the World on her worst surface. Venus-Serena clearly the real semi or final that should have been at Wimbledon 98 (98 not 2000-something). Capriati at 40% playing a 100% Clijsters even when their games are basically exactly the same (even when Kim wasnt prime yet). Capriati favored over Venus to win Wimbledon ever. Venus and Serena deserving the automatic #1 and #2 seeds around 2006 when they were almost non existant on tour, or in 2007 when Henin was by far the clear #1. The biggest collection of BS ever, even by the abysmal ESPN team pre Chris.

BTW the bias Chris Evert has in favor of certain players- Seles, Capriati, Serena, Venus (as you all can already tell by the past gems of Chris) is far too much to begin to take her seriously. As some of those players are gone or near retirement, it will be interesting to see who her new pets will be. As she will surely have some.