PDA

View Full Version : What will tennis look like in 20 years?

*Jean*
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:32 AM
A study has revealed what tennis could look like in 20 years.

- Monitoring athlete performance and enhancing spectator enjoyment in the game will be a big part in the future
- Sensors will monitor muscular contractions, measuring fatigue and minimising strain on tiring muscles
- Sweat levels will be monitored to gauge hydration levels and indicate stress levels
- Players will be able to train on virtual courts such as Centre Court and select their opponent
- Tennis robots could simulate an opponents game strategy
- Interchangeable lenses will allow players greater visibility on court in adverse lighting conditions
- Clothing fabrics will be capable of regulating a player's temperature
- Active strapping/ compression solutions will adapt the level of compression according to the temperature of the clothing fabrics
- Strings will bruise before breaking
- Stiffer, lighter materials will lead to greater control of the racket weight distribution allowing the player to generate more spin
- Wireless sensors will be embedded into the frame of the racket to record racket speed
- Holographic projection technology will allow live game feeds to be projected in 3D environments
- Tennis matches could be brought to us live in 3D in our living room

What do you think about that? What specificity will there be in women's tennis? What other elements would you see possible in 20 years' WTA Tour?

Pops Maellard
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Strings will bruise before breaking. :haha:

*Jean*
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:39 AM
what does "bruise" mean in that sentence? didn't get it

Mike_T
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hawkeye on every court, with an audible/visible alert for balls out, so we can do away with lines people. And if they can calculate how many millimeters a ball is in/out, how about if the balls contact patch is more than 50% out, the ball being judged out? That means bringing the rules inline with what technology can define, because I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks a ball that’s more out, than in, is really out, let alone when the ball clips the line by 1mm / 1%.

Darop.
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:52 AM
- Players will be able to train on virtual courts such as Centre Court and select their opponent

In only 20 years? :haha: That's impossible...

klever58
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:56 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/2889609907_b7b0db140d.jpg

kittyking
Jun 20th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Men will play topless, Ladies will play nude

Tennis Observer
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM
A study has revealed what tennis could look like in 20 years.
For those who are interested in the original: "HSBC have commissioned the Sports Technology Institute at Loughborough to undertake a study to predict potential developments in tennis over the next 25 years."

Wimbledon in 25 years time? (http://hsbc.wimbledon.com/futures.htm)

Specter
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM

In only 20 years? :haha: That's impossible...

To place a man in a multi-stage rocket and project him into the controlling gravitational field of the moon where the passengers can make scientific observations, perhaps land alive, and then return to earth - all that constitutes a wild dream worthy of Jules Verne. I am bold enough to say that such a man-made voyage will never occur regardless of all future advances.
Lee De Forest, American radio pioneer and inventor of the vacuum tube, in 1957

The moon landing happened 12 years later.

Just saying: don't underestimate technology.

Alejandrawrrr
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:13 AM
- They will play in spacesuits on Mars
- They will play underwater in Atlantis
You heard it here first.

Darop.
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Lee De Forest, American radio pioneer and inventor of the vacuum tube, in 1957
The moon landing happened 12 years later.

Just saying: don't underestimate technology.

I'm not, I'm just saying that there are way too many variables in real tennis to create a virtual tennis that players will actually use to train (instead of real life) in just 20 years. Not going to happen.

Specter
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I'm not, I'm just saying that there are way too many variables in real tennis to create a virtual tennis that players will actually use to train (instead of real life) in just 20 years. Not going to happen.

Well, clearly the usefulness of such a device is very questionable. We certainly won't have realistic holodecks in 20 years time, that's for certain, but to create an almost photo realistic environment in which to move and play tennis (with a real person, not an AI) shouldn't be a problem at all.

goldenlox
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM
The big change was 1980-84.
I watched tape of the 2 McEnroe-Connors USO SF matches.
They used totally different rackets the 2 matches.
That was the major change in the sport.
Now its probably string, if they can find some synthetic that gives more control or power.
But if you put on a tape from 1990, its not that different except more colors in the outfits now.

edit: I forgot the other big change, hawkeye. A very positive change, and IW has them on all courts. Majors might do that one day

siddharthrajpal
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM
i know that one day linesmen will be replaced by machines and the when the ball lands out, a red mark will be indicated on the court to show the ball was out ( dunno about the fault falls, so happy that this did not happen before the 2009 us open semis ;) )

theFutureisNow
Jun 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM
- Monitoring athlete performance and enhancing spectator enjoyment in the game will be a big part in the future- TOO VAGUE TO BE A PREDICTION.
- Sensors will monitor muscular contractions, measuring fatigue and minimising strain on tiring muscles-IT'S CALLED A CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. WE ARENT BEATING IT IN 20 YEARS.
- Sweat levels will be monitored to gauge hydration levels and indicate stress levels-POINTLESS AND YOU WOULD NEED A BLOOD TEST, NOT SWEAT.
- Players will be able to train on virtual courts such as Centre Court and select their opponent-VIRTUAL PLAYERS HAVE NO CHANCE OF REPLACING REAL ONES BY THEN.
- Tennis robots could simulate an opponents game strategy- THEY CAN DO THAT NOW, AT LEAST ON A PIECE OF PAPER. AS FOR ACTUAL ROBOTS- NOT HAPPENING AND WILL NOT BE CLOSE.
- Interchangeable lenses will allow players greater visibility on court in adverse lighting conditions-SUNGLASSES?
- Clothing fabrics will be capable of regulating a player's temperature-POINTLESS
- Active strapping/ compression solutions will adapt the level of compression according to the temperature of the clothing fabrics-POINTLESS
- Strings will bruise before breaking-DUMB AND UNNECESSARY.
- Stiffer, lighter materials will lead to greater control of the racket weight distribution allowing the player to generate more spin-THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A TRADEOFF BETWEEN POWER AND CONTROL. MOST PROS CHOOSE CONTROL.
- Wireless sensors will be embedded into the frame of the racket to record racket speed-POINTLESS
- Holographic projection technology will allow live game feeds to be projected in 3D environments-THE BIGGEST OBSTACLE TO 3D IS WHETHER PEOPLE WANT TO PAY FOR IT. THIS MIGHT BE SORT OF COOL THOUGH.

You might not have noticed, but robotics has wildly overpromised and underdelivered the last few decades. Many of the other inventions are pointless. The only possible/nontrivial thing on your list would be the 3d display. But that of course would have zero effect on the game of tennis itself.

austennis
Jun 20th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Date Krum will still be upsetting 18 yr olds...