PDA

View Full Version : How has Venus pushed for gender equality?

rimon
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I've never heard her complain about how men have to play best of 5 sets, instead of 3, and if she really wants equality, why hasn't she called for the women actually competing against men for it?

Ralph214
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:21 AM
lolwut? :scratch:

Leo St
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:21 AM
she said women would be pleasured to play 5 sets

gc-spurs
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:25 AM
You realise gender equality isn't about absolutes but about opportunity and rights, right?

SM
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:26 AM
She is fighting for PARITY, and with that comes equal pay....she never said their tennis is the same, the women will never be able to play 5 sets at majors unless u want a heap of injuries......

young_gunner913
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:27 AM
You realise gender equality isn't about absolutes but about opportunity and rights, right?

No he doesn't at all. His focus was more on creating a trollish thread.

Graftard
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:30 AM
she said women would be pleasured to play 5 sets

:lol: Good joke.

Especially fitness titans like Pavlychenkova, Bartoli and Kleybanova.

Women's finals should be best of 5 IMO.

L'Enfant Sauvage
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Locklocklock

égalité
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I've never heard her complain about how men have to play best of 5 sets, instead of 3, and if she really wants equality, why hasn't she called for the women actually competing against men for it?

lol shut the fuck up :lol:

rimon
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:47 AM
So far no reasonable, relevant answers. Equality means equality, not just equality where it suits. I support women earning equal pay to men in areas such as education, because they compete against men, and have the same hours. 0/2 in comparison to tennis. Women play in their own field, AND less.

Serenus Christ
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:50 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln10i2QMQt1qij01to1_400.gif

Serenus Christ
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:51 AM
So far no reasonable, relevant answers. Equality means equality, not just equality where it suits. I support women earning equal pay to men in areas such as education, because they compete against men, and have the same hours. 0/2 in comparison to tennis. Women play in their own field, AND less.

Didn't the 2005 women's final go longer then the 2005 mens final #justsayin

SM
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:56 AM
but women will never be equal to men in sport, women warrant parity not equality

rimon
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:59 AM

Clutching at straws.

rimon
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:59 AM
but women will never be equal to men in sport, women warrant parity not equality

If they're not equal, then why should they get equal pay?

Serenus Christ
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Clutching at straws.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lml0nynDGJ1qb81mlo1_500.gif

SM
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:02 AM
If they're not equal, then why should they get equal pay?
cant something be different but hold a similar value? and be just as powerful as a product, economically, socially and politically etc......thats what parity is about, pay the women what they are worth, they are not less because they play 3 sets......

Moveyourfeet
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:03 AM

You are an idiot. Really. Why single out Venus Williams in your OP? The only reason you can single her out is because she has actually spoken up, which is more than most other players have done.

While we are at it, what has Margaret Court done for gender equality?? You know, the woman you so love and admire and are pissed off that she is underrated :rolleyes:

Given her traditional religious beliefs, she would probably be ok with women as second class. She certainly didn't support BJK in the early days of the tour. According to her, BJK (who has done enormous work for gender equality that supercedes tennis) is a bad role model because she is a lesbian.

Don't try to come for Venus when you religous nutbag preacher fave hasn't done shit.

In a nutshell, sit the fuck down.

gc-spurs
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:05 AM

Do you support areas of low incomes not having police respond to their needs because they pay lower taxes? Because by your definition of equality, to have equal benefits you need to contribute an equal amounts. Gender equality is a social concept, not an numerical one.

True that.

SM
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:06 AM
good on Venus for pushing for equality, im sure she doesnt need the extra money but she has a social conscience.......she might not need that extra pay but a lot of the girls she plays against and knows could do with the extra money, its not that easy when you are ranked 100-200 or so to make a living in tennis!!

rimon
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:08 AM
cant something be different but hold a similar value? and be just as powerful as a product, economically, socially and politically etc......thats what parity is about, pay the women what they are worth, they are not less because they play 3 sets......

No. Tennis players (ie, not gender) should verse each other, if they want equal money. Equal play for equal pay. Women compete against men in education and law, so why not tennis?

rimon
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:11 AM
You are an idiot. Really. Why single out Venus Williams in your OP? The only reason you can single her out is because she has actually spoken up, which is more than most other players have done.

While we are at it, what has Margaret Court done for gender equality?? You know, the woman you so love and admire and are pissed off that she is underrated :rolleyes:

Given her traditional religious beliefs, she would probably be ok with women as second class. She certainly didn't support BJK in the early days of the tour.

In a nutshell, sit the fuck down.

Because Venus has only spoken up about pay, not about women competing against men and for equal play. It's funny how you have to bring Margaret into all of your responses to me.

Second class? As I said, women get equal pay in areas such as education and law, as they should, because they compete against men for it.

Serenus Christ
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:11 AM
No. Tennis players (ie, not gender) should verse each other, if they want equal money. Equal play for equal pay. Women compete against men in education and law, so why not tennis?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmkt0hnDKH1qgupwc.gif

rimon
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:12 AM
good on Venus for pushing for equality, im sure she doesnt need the extra money but she has a social conscience.......she might not need that extra pay but a lot of the girls she plays against and knows could do with the extra money, its not that easy when you are ranked 100-200 or so to make a living in tennis!!

Good on Venus for pushing for women competing against men, and for equal play. Oh wait...

rimon
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:12 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmkt0hnDKH1qgupwc.gif

Such a mature and relevant response.

rimon
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Do you support areas of low incomes not having police respond to their needs because they pay lower taxes? Because by your definition of equality, to have equal benefits you need to contribute an equal amounts. Gender equality is a social concept, not an numerical one.

True that.

Yes.

gc-spurs
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Yes.

Well then enough said. No use arguing with an idiot who has views like that.

rimon
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Well then enough said. No use arguing with an idiot who has views like that.

I'm an idiot for having a different opinion to you? Is it fair that a man ranked 100 makes way less money than a woman in the top 10, when he would thrash her were the two to play?

CloudAtlas
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:22 AM

Using your logic , a cheetah should be paid more than Usain Bolt, and Michael Phelps should go hang his gold medals onto a Cosmopolitan Sailfish :confused:

Biological and physical differences between men and women exist , that is undebateable. The fields of work you mention require brainpower which is pretty much equal across both sexes, Tennis players provide an entertainment service for which the demand throughout its history has balanced itself out to be equal.

salvy41
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Yes.

Really? How can you possibly justify such a viewpoint?

gc-spurs
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I'm an idiot for having a different opinion to you? Is it fair that a man ranked 100 makes way less money than a woman in the top 10, when he would thrash her were the two to play?

No, you're an idiot for answering 'yes' when I asked if you thought people who paid lower taxes deserved less police response. I don't care if that's your opinion, it makes you an idiot. Just like if anyone were to express an opinion that Asians are inferior to Europeans. Even if it's their personal opinion, it makes them an idiot.

friendsita
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:30 AM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll0h40I95q1qe7sc9o1_500.gif

rimon
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:42 AM
No, you're an idiot for answering 'yes' when I asked if you thought people who paid lower taxes deserved less police response. I don't care if that's your opinion, it makes you an idiot. Just like if anyone were to express an opinion that Asians are inferior to Europeans. Even if it's their personal opinion, it makes them an idiot.

Actually, on second thought, I am not sure, and I definitely don't see how it is equivalent to the issue of sport and gender. Why should a woman ranked in the top ten get to make a lot more money than a man ranked 100, when he would clobber her?

Btw, those opinions don't make someone an idiot. That too, is an opinion. It makes you have the opinion that they are an idiot, it doesn't make it a fact that they are so.

Moveyourfeet
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:00 AM
WHile BJK was defending Title 9 and risking her career on the Virginia Slims tour, your fave was courtseying to grand daddy Bobby Riggs before he spanked her 6-2, 6-1 all for $10,000. How fucking pathetic is that?

And you have the nerve to ask what Venus has done for Women's tennis. LOL

CloudAtlas
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Actually, on second thought, I am not sure, and I definitely don't see how it is equivalent to the issue of sport and gender. Why should a woman ranked in the top ten get to make a lot more money than a man ranked 100, when he would clobber her?

Btw, those opinions don't make someone an idiot. That too, is an opinion. It makes you have the opinion that they are an idiot, it doesn't make it a fact that they are so.

The same reason why some unknown but highly trained and skilled baritone opera singer somewhere in Valencia might make less money than Britney Spears. Demand.

Moveyourfeet
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:06 AM
The same reason why some unknown but highly trained and skilled baritone opera singer somewhere in Valencia might make less money than Britney Spears. Demand.

You can't reason with him. He has a specific agenda.

le bon vivant
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:38 AM
She wrote a letter :lol: