PDA

View Full Version : Blast From the Past Returns

alfajeffster
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Well, after 2 years of see-saw health issues, I finally made it back out on the tennis court today. Everything is all jumbled, and my backhand, which was always my best shot, was totally missing. I don't even want to see my serve yet, but it was nice to just get out there on a nice day and move around a little. I know it's only a matter of time until I win Wimbledon, but I realize I have a few things to work on first (like getting the ball back over the net, but that's inconsequential in the grand slam scheme of things!) :lol: Almost forgot how much I missed it.

tennisvideos
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Well, after 2 years of see-saw health issues, I finally made it back out on the tennis court today. Everything is all jumbled, and my backhand, which was always my best shot, was totally missing. I don't even want to see my serve yet, but it was nice to just get out there on a nice day and move around a little. I know it's only a matter of time until I win Wimbledon, but I realize I have a few things to work on first (like getting the ball back over the net, but that's inconsequential in the grand slam scheme of things!) :lol: Almost forgot how much I missed it.

Congratulations Alfa! I can't imagine being unable to play for so long. I miss it after a week! And the joy of doing things like playing tennis etc is better for your health than any medication you can take.

I hope your career takes off again :bounce: :kiss:

alfajeffster
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Congratulations Alfa! I can't imagine being unable to play for so long. I miss it after a week! And the joy of doing things like playing tennis etc is better for your health than any medication you can take.

I hope your career takes off again :bounce: :kiss:

Thanks, Craig. You know, the one thing I noticed that was missing more than anything was footwork. I always took it for granted, and yesterday reminded me (graphically) how none of the other shots are possible without footwork. I almost fell on my tush a few times, because my feet had become used to the Tempurpedic and in the chair watching the tube. A good report from the doc on Friday prompted me to get off my arse and just get out there, and even though everything is sore as hell today, it was worth it!

tennisvideos
Jun 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks, Craig. You know, the one thing I noticed that was missing more than anything was footwork. I always took it for granted, and yesterday reminded me (graphically) how none of the other shots are possible without footwork. I almost fell on my tush a few times, because my feet had become used to the Tempurpedic and in the chair watching the tube. A good report from the doc on Friday prompted me to get off my arse and just get out there, and even though everything is sore as hell today, it was worth it!

Well it's a great thing you did get back out there. Also it will take a fair bit of time for your touch to return. When I am rusty it is the touch shots that are vulnerable. The serve won't take as long to come back, along with the volleys and drives.

Anyway, the key to everything falling into place again is to simply enjoy the simple act of running around and hitting tennis balls. It certainly is one of my great pleasures and when you are having fun I find you don't have to think too much and the shots just start to flow. :)

alfajeffster
Jun 21st, 2011, 11:15 PM
Well it's a great thing you did get back out there. Also it will take a fair bit of time for your touch to return. When I am rusty it is the touch shots that are vulnerable. The serve won't take as long to come back, along with the volleys and drives.

Anyway, the key to everything falling into place again is to simply enjoy the simple act of running around and hitting tennis balls. It certainly is one of my great pleasures and when you are having fun I find you don't have to think too much and the shots just start to flow. :)

Boy- I thought I was sore yesterday. I forgot how soreness hits me 2 days later. Spent most of the day horizontal because walking was very painful today. I don't know why, but I'm hitting my backhand with an open stance instead of where I used to turn sideways and get down naturally. Weird. I've lost nearly 70 pounds in the last year, and along with that the muscles have atrophied a bit. Much work to do. Thanks for the encouragement.