PDA

View Full Version : Slovakia wins Fed Cup - Arantxa Cries

WhatTheDeuce
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:04 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38420000/jpg/_38420799_sanchez150.jpg

Slovakia won the Fed Cup for the first time when Janette Husarova secured an unassailable 3-1 lead over Spain on Sunday.

Husarova was an easy 6-0 6-2 winner against three-time French Open champion Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in the second match of the day. And as Husarova surged into a clear lead a heckler in the crowd brought Sanchez-Vicario to tears.

The Spanish veteran had missed Saturday's matches in the Canary Islands with a thigh strain.

Play was delayed for 10 minutes as the crowd turned on the man and the people sitting alongside got up and left, leaving him sitting their defiantly and refusing to leave.

"I am only human," said Sanchez-Vicario. "The ovation made up for what that man said."

Earlier, Husarova's team-mate Daniela Hantuchova beat Conchita Martinez 6-7 7-5 6-4 to give Slovakia a 2-1 lead over the five-time Fed Cup winners.

Hantuchova, ranked eighth in the world, came from behind to overhaul the 30-year-old Spaniard in three hours, 20 minutes.

Hantuchova's game was based on a powerful forehand and superior agility, while Martinez, the 1994 Wimbledon champion, preferred disguise and deception.

In the first set Martinez's method worked well but she squandered two chances to take the set outright and avoid the tiebreaker.

Hantuchova saved set points at 4-5 on her own serve and two more at 5-6.

In the second set, it was Martinez's turn to save three set points as she served at 4-5, but Hantuchova kept up the pressure to edge the set.

Martinez quickly fell behind 1-4 in the third but staged a brief rally, breaking Hantuchova to reach 4-5, before bowing to the inevitable.

"It was very hard to put her under pressure," said Hantuchova.

"But in the end I think I was physically better than her."

Cam'ron Giles
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:12 AM
How sad and disgusting...It just goes to show you that in world class sports, it the "what have you done for me lately" attitude is what it is all about. How can anyone forget what this woman meant to her country and tennis throughout the world. I am not a fan of ASV, but a champion deserves respect. HOW FUCKING SAD. :sad:

Julian
Nov 4th, 2002, 12:16 AM
I agree..Arantxa has nothing else to prove, so why does she play??? For the fun, for her fans and for her COUNTRY! And after seeing and hearing what happened Im absoultely sure she didn't feel like playing at all for any of the reasons I stated. :(

tennischick
Nov 4th, 2002, 02:41 AM
what exactly did the heckler say? does anyone know? it clearly hurt her deeply whatever it was. :sad:

slydevil6142
Nov 4th, 2002, 03:59 AM
SOMETHIGN TO THE EXTEND THAT if she wasnt phsically ready to play she should have stayed home or thats what i read at least

Buitenzorg
Nov 4th, 2002, 04:05 AM
This make me :sad:

I :hearts: Arantxa, she is very nice person!

Don't worry Arantxa, we are :kiss: you!

You've done so much for SPAIN FED Cup! Vamos Arantxa

BasicTennis
Nov 4th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Well done Slovakia!!!!!

TennisHack
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by tennischick
what exactly did the heckler say? does anyone know? it clearly hurt her deeply whatever it was. :sad:

He said something to the effect of, "Why are you playing if you're injured? Get out and let Magui Serna play!"

I guess he was less than thrilled that she was bagelled in the first set, but God what a horrible thing to say.

Sam L
Nov 4th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Poor Arantxa, she doesn't deserve it, whilst I'm sad for Spain and her particularly, I cannot be happier for Slovakia and Daniela :) I mean afterall they are winning for first time :)

bee
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:05 AM
I agree.. It was really mean of the man say all those things... She doesn't deserve it... But.... If she is that injured... She should have let somebody else to play...

SM
Nov 4th, 2002, 11:29 AM
shows u how much passion she has for the game and her country. too bad aranxta, but atleast unlike Americas top male players u actually turned up :(

tennischick
Nov 5th, 2002, 12:10 AM
i agree that the heckler shouldn't have said that but every single commentary i have since read insists that Magui Serna should have played. so the commentators and the heckler agree, it's just that the one have the safety of distance while the other was courtside. i still feel badly for her because she was so publicly humiliated, and i just hope that she wasn't pressured to do something that her body was clearly not ready for.

Oizo
Nov 5th, 2002, 12:28 AM
Awwww. :sad: She shouldn´t cry. She´s a champion and has won it so many times. ;) Heads up Aranxta! :kiss:

venusfan
Nov 5th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Retirement home for Arantxa, it's not like she have any weapons that can keep her in the game at an old age like Graf did.

Jakub
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:55 PM
:sad::sad::sad: Arantxa :sad::sad::sad: