PDA

View Full Version : Kvitova makes Na look like a pusher who makes Sharapova look like a pusher

Tennisation
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Is that even possible? :eek: Just rewatched some French Open highlights and eventhough Petra lost to Na she was just killing it before she turned into a Gollum mess. It was Na's speed that bailed her out really. Then Na turned around and spanked Pova in the semis. I think we have to reassess Maria's "make every shot a power shot" cuz she was looking like a poor man's Wozniacki in that semis. I think it's her grunt that adds to the intensity of the shot that fools people really.

doomsday
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Is that even possible? :eek: Just rewatched some French Open highlights and eventhough Petra lost to Na she was just killing it before she turned into a Gollum mess. It was Na's speed that bailed her out really. Then Na turned around and spanked Pova in the semis. I think we have to reassess Maria's "make every shot a power shot" cuz she was looking like a poor man's Wozniacki in that semis. I think it's her grunt that adds to the intensity of the shot that fools people really.

Sharapova was bad and aggressively passive in that match, we ALL know Maria at her best destroy that Chinese.

MaruSharapova
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Because of the wind Maria's shots weren't as penetrating as they normally are. I have to say that Li did a great job of being agressive despite the windy conditions! :eek:

RobinT83
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Sorry, but useless thread.
Plus, Kvitova is just an another brainless ballbasher with 0 variety whereas Na Li can be a good ballstriker on a good day.
Na Li uses her power and attacking abilities quite well, Kvitova not.

Libertango
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:50 PM
^"That chinese'" name is Li Na.

Anyway, Maria clearly did have a bad day in the semi's; I wouldn't base too much on THAT performance.

Henpova
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:51 PM

Sharapova was bad and aggressively passive in that match, we ALL know Maria at her best destroy that Chinese.

:rolleyes::spit:

madmax
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Maria was hesitating to go for too much because the wind was screwing up her high risk game. And of course, this is not even mentioning her ball toss "gone wrong" too...

Mistress of Evil
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:28 PM
If I am dumb, and the regular TF poster is dumb does this make the OP look super dumb :hearts:

Sammo
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:37 PM
and Sharapova who makes Wozniacki look like a pusher. Oh wait...

Coconut91
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:40 PM
and Sharapova who makes Wozniacki look like a pusher. Oh wait...

You just broke the chain :smash:

Break My Rapture
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:52 PM
You are so right about Na making Maria look like a pusher, I thought of that as well. :sobbing:

Gajdosova makes Maria look like a pusher too, does she fit in the chain?

quote unquote
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM
its because the clay isnt the clay anymore @ RG like it used to be,they change it and the concrete below the surface to, its to suit all todays players because very few can play on REAL clay, if it was a REAL clay surface then the results would be more varied and many players injured becuz they cannot move properly, they dont know how to and most likely Schiavone would win it easily

duhcity
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Maria used to be the most consistent of the three. Na and Petra hit harder generally, but they're more prone dips in level.
Except now they're not. Well they are (losing 5 straight matches after the AO....losing to Rybarikova after winning Madrid etc.), but not as much as before.

Lapaco
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:16 PM
it's a myth that sharapova is this monstrously powerful player her fans want and think her to be. in terms of power she is nowhere close the most powerful players on the tour.

Potato
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Sharapova is a terrible wind player, she almost always is a pusher during windy conditions. That SF was just one of the many.

18majors
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Maria didn't play well at RG but to her credit she reached SF. She struggled against Garcia and Radwanska but gutted out wins.

That's why she withdrew from Birmingham to focus on training for Wimbledon. We'll see a different Maria this week.

Break My Rapture
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:48 PM
it's a myth that sharapova is this monstrously powerful player her fans want and think her to be. in terms of power she is nowhere close the most powerful players on the tour.
Now I wouldn't say Maria is the most powerful player out there, but saying she is nowhere near the most powerful ones is a bit far-stretched, no?

Anyway I always thought Maria's groundstrokes were more about precision than power.

starin
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Avg. rally ball speed: Li>Sharapova>Kvitova
Avg. risky/power shot: Kvitova>Sharapova>Li (Shara/Kvitova interchangeable here I think)
Avg. Ball speed now: Kvitova>Li>Sharapova

Kvitova is just whalloping on the ball nowadays. When errors start to leak into her game and she is forced to rally her groundstrokes speeds will come tumbling down. But right now she is probably the biggest hitter on tour but she's also taking the biggest risks. Li is really impressive in that's she's hitting the ball hard but she's playing safely and working the point. Sharapova is just very cautious atm. trying to regain her confidence.

C. Drone
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Newton's laws of motion. #3: Action-Reaction.

Lord Choc Ice
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Sharapova's average groundstroke speed is actually not one of the highest but she can crank it up occasionally. I read in a thread somewhere that even Safina had higher average groundstroke pace.

madmax
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Avg. risky/power shot: Kvitova>Sharapova>Li (Shara/Kvitova interchangeable here I think)

Kvitova is just whalloping on the ball nowadays. When errors start to leak into her game and she is forced to rally her groundstrokes speeds will come tumbling down. But right now she is probably the biggest hitter on tour but she's also taking the biggest risks. Li is really impressive in that's she's hitting the ball hard but she's playing safely and working the point. Sharapova is just very cautious atm. trying to regain her confidence.

:worship:
finally a sensible post in this troll thread

Petkorazzi
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Maria's game is more about consistency and depth rather than sheer power nowadays. :shrug: Peak Maria may not be the hardest hitter around, but noone else hits with that much precision and depth. :drool:

Linguae^
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:58 PM
So what, Sprem and Lucic are.......pushers?
PUSHER,PUSHER,PUSHER,just STOP!!!!

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:00 PM

LOL, still thinking it's 2008. :lol::lol:

Hilarious.

goldlion
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Sorry, Maria wasn't a pusher in that SF against Na Li, she couldn't even push as the wind failed her badly.

She just couldn't hit the ball and simply put the balls in mid-court to set up Na's forehand.

Caroline is a typical pusher, she used the pace with depth and angle very well.

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:03 PM

Very good, except the last one.....She has her "confidence" back, just players have improved around here mentally, as well as players improving in general.

Lord Choc Ice
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Very good, except the last one.....She has her "confidence" back, just players have improved around here mentally, as well as players improving in general.
Not enough to beat her at Rome though. :angel:

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Not enough to beat her at Rome though. :angel:

-Yup, thanks to an injured Azarenka, who won the first set.

-An off form Wozniacki, with clay being the Woz's worse surface

-And against an already mentally inferior opponent in Stosur, who was struggling with an ailment the firt four games (besides her nerves against Maria still).

Facts are the facts ;)

Battletoad
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:13 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/qzrlp0.jpg
:cheer::cheer::cheer:

The Witch-king
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:20 PM

:lol: :help:

JCTennisFan
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Hrmm, I dont agree with the poster's statement. Li is really not all that huge of a hitter on her own, she needs to be fed pace, and most importantly ryhtm, to get the full potential out of her groundgame. Sharapova is MORE powerful than Kvitova and more rythmic in her game than Kvitova, which allows Li to play her game more effectively against Sharapova than Kvitova. And a huge thing here that isnt mentioned, one is left handed and the other is right handed...... And Asians arent known for having lots of leftie players so I doubt she practices much against a leftie.

18majors
Jun 20th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Let's see what Wimbledon will bring, RG is in the past.

bandabou
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Hmmm...nah, the thing is that Li is a better mover than Masha. Masha couldn't cope with Li's forehand AT ALL.