PDA

View Full Version : Is It Time For Wimbledon Start Play Earlier? (Many WTA Match Cancel For Today)

NA-GOAT
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:02 PM
why does Wimbledon always start play at 13.00 and put two ATP / one WTA on Center Court / Court One ... I guess it is tradition and the English need to have a proper lunch before watching tennis and then have tea between the 1st and 2nd match on court :tape:

the fans miss out ... at the other slams play starts 11.00 and the fans are treated to much more tennis, especially with night tennis at AO and USO ;)

now there is equal prize money so time for equal treatment :shrug: it is time for Wimbledon to step up and start play earlier so that two WTA matches can be showcased on the main courts ... they can definitely do it now that they have lights on Center Court :angel:

quote unquote
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:13 PM
do players like playing @11:00am or in the middle of the night/early hours of morning?

everytime i see these early starts noone is attending

pav
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Good call!

backhandsmash
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:17 PM
And why don't they start on sunday like the FO? It's the perfect day to start if you ask me.

DeliriousPotato
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I agree with abolishing rest day Sunday and starting at 11.00, not because of what you said about the fans missing out, but because it is a tournament where rain is a constant threat and matches always get pushed to the next day, which is most annoying for the players...

AdeyC
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I think that Wimbly has the best overall scheduling of all the grand slams - two days for the first three rounds, Day 7 is all the 4th round, then it alternated with men and women QF onwards.

Although I do think that they should schedule 4 matches on CC and C1

AdeyC
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I agree with abolishing rest day Sunday and starting at 11.00, not because of what you said about the fans missing out, but because it is a tournament where rain is a constant threat and matches always get pushed to the next day, which is most annoying for the players...

You say that but since the roof went up theres only been about 4 hours of rain the whole time.

quote unquote
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:25 PM
no!!! stick with tradition its what all the real fans want, thank you Wimbledon

dsanders06
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM
No, I don't think they should have 4 matches on the main courts. Everyone was complaining (rightly, imo) this year about RG always scheduling 4 matches on the main courts, which meant much-anticipated matches (e.g. Djokovic-Del Potro) were broken up by a night's break... so I think they're right to stick with 3 on the two main courts. And, within that 3-match limit, we have to be honest and say there's a lot more demand for two men's matches / one women's match than vice-versa.

I agree they should end the tradition of taking the middle Sunday off... although I do love how there's always so many great matches on the second Monday.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I remember hearing an argument that they don't want the grass to get too damaged on CC :shrug:

quote unquote
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:33 PM
they have experimented with the grass for the Olympics and had a fully grown grass court within 2-3 weeks

they had club members and juniors play on the courts, then regrew the grass in 2-3 weeks

Hayato
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I think they should start at 11:00 only if there is a forecast for rain later on. Otherwise, stick with tradition and start at 1pm :D

MaruSharapova
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:43 PM
No, I don't think they should have 4 matches on the main courts. Everyone was complaining (rightly, imo) this year about RG always scheduling 4 matches on the main courts, which meant much-anticipated matches (e.g. Djokovic-Del Potro) were broken up by a night's break... so I think they're right to stick with 3 on the two main courts. And, within that 3-match limit, we have to be honest and say there's a lot more demand for two men's matches / one women's match than vice-versa.

I agree they should end the tradition of taking the middle Sunday off... although I do love how there's always so many great matches on the second Monday.

But if they now have lights on CC that wouldn't pose a problem wouldn't it? I think it'd be great if they also had 1 gala match or so..
Anyway, the rest sunday tradition should be ended, I remember how in 2007 it rained so much that the Venus - Sharapova 4th round was played on the wednesday of the second week :eek: and they still took that sunday off, when it was by far the fairest weather that day. I think Nadal even complained that Wimby cared more about tradition then it did about the players

In The Zone
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:46 PM

Grass court matches do not last as long as clay matches.

dsanders06
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM
But if they now have lights on CC that wouldn't pose a problem wouldn't it? I think it'd be great if they also had 1 gala match or so..
Anyway, the rest sunday tradition should be ended, I remember how in 2007 it rained so much that the Venus - Sharapova 4th round was played on the wednesday of the second week :eek: and they still took that sunday off, when it was by far the fairest weather that day. I think Nadal even complained that Wimby cared more about tradition then it did about the players

Well, even with the roof closed, the latest they can go on til is 11pm, because local residents don't want it going on too late. And the roof would have to be closed at night if they were playing even if it was dry, because the grass gets moist when it's dark. So, tbh, I wouldn't want them to have regular night matches, because I don't think playing at Wimbledon under the roof is ideal. :shrug: It slows the playing conditions massively. It's OK as a last resort if it's raining, but I don't want it any more than necessary. :shrug:

dsanders06
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Grass court matches do not last as long as clay matches.

But there's still been times at Wimbledon when just the 3 matches haven't finished until close to 9pm, which would be too late to even start a 4th match (and, even if they started play an hour earlier, there would still be days where they wouldn't complete all 4 matches).

MaruSharapova
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Well, even with the roof closed, the latest they can go on til is 11pm, because local residents don't want it going on too late. And the roof would have to be closed at night if they were playing even if it was dry, because the grass gets moist when it's dark. So, tbh, I wouldn't want them to have regular night matches, because I don't think playing at Wimbledon under the roof is ideal. :shrug: It slows the playing conditions massively. It's OK as a last resort if it's raining, but I don't want it any more than necessary. :shrug:

Surprised that they didn't take these things into account and installed something to keep the moist level down then :eek:
Anyway, I think 4 matches are doable. Also like In The Zone said, these matches usually only take around 1.15h for women's and 2h (?) for the men :shrug:

Bismarck.
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I've always heard that they don't play Sundays because of requests from local residents (I also think this was the reason they chose not to use the middle Sunday in 2007 despite all the rain that year) and playing an extra match on the surface will wear it away and damage it a lot quicker.

Chrissie-fan
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Wimbledon has over the years always been the most frustrating tournament for me to follow on television. A typical Wimbledon week for me has looked something like this....

Monday:
Frustration because I have to work and can't watch the champ play the opening match. I get home at 18:00, just in time to hear that Sampras has won the match. But Capriati is on next, so I'm looking forward to seeing one of my favorite girls in action. 18:10 - rain. To fill the time they do what they always do when it's raining at Wimbledon: Show yet another repeat of that 1980 Borg vs McEnroe tiebreak. 19:00 - Play is suspended for the day.

Tuesday:
Yippie! I don't have to work today! I'm gonna watch me some tennis from Wimbledon! 13:00- Depressing pictures of a dark grey sky and the voice of Sue Barker: "I'm afraid it's one of those days again and prospects are not good that we're gonna get any play today. But while we're waiting and hoping for improvement in the weather, we're gioing to show you one of the greatest matches that the world has ever seen!"....there's that tiebreak again.:mad: 16:00 - still raining, but for our entertainment we now get a discussion with Pat Cash and Boris Becker about Richard Krajicek's remark that women tennis players are fat pigs. :rolleyes: 16:30 - Still no live tennis but they show a mixed doubles match that took place yesterday featuring two Brits that are ranked outside of the top 200. 18:00 - Play suspended for the day.

Wednesday:
I have to work again, but I programmed the VHS to record the tennis. On BBC one they will show a match featuring a Brit called Jeremy Bates who will take on a Spanish qualifier. On BBC two they will (so the tv guide says) a match from my girl, Martina Hingis, so I decide to record BBC two. I come home and start watching what I've just recorded. Sue Barker: "Unfortunately we had to leave the Jeremy Bates match on BBC one to make room for the horse racing. But you will now be able to see that match here on BBC two. We will keep you up to date with what's happening in the Hingis Match." :banghead:

Thursday:
Another attempt at recording tennis on the VHS and getting to see some great tennis after work. All day long I try to avoid the radio so that I'm sure that I won't hear any of the results of the matches I'm about to see. 17:00 on the bus home from work. Two teenagers in the seats in front of me - First teenager: "Are you following the tennis?" Second teenager: "Yes, Capriati and Sampras both won today, but Agassi is out." :fiery:

Friday:
I've given up on trying to record matches on my VHS. I get home at 18:30 at which time all singles matches are finished and I get to see some men's doubles instead. :tape:

Saturday:
Weekend! I'll be able to watch as much tennis as I want! 13:00 - Rain. 13:05 I give up and go out for a walk. I know that tiebreak inside out by now.

Sunday:
Glorious weather! Best day of the week!....but no tennis on the middle Sunday. :hysteric:

saphir1
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:00 PM
why does Wimbledon always start play at 13.00 and put two ATP / one WTA on Center Court / Court One ... I guess it is tradition and the English need to have a proper lunch before watching tennis and then have tea between the 1st and 2nd match on court :tape:

the fans miss out ... at the other slams play starts 11.00 and the fans are treated to much more tennis, especially with night tennis at AO and USO ;)

now there is equal prize money so time for equal treatment :shrug: it is time for Wimbledon to step up and start play earlier so that two WTA matches can be showcased on the main courts ... they can definitely do it now that they have lights on Center Court :angel:

I absolutely agree, hate this tradition :wavey:

quote unquote
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Wimbledon has over the years always been the most frustrating tournament for me to follow on television. A typical Wimbledon week for me has looked something like this....

Monday:
Frustration because I have to work and can't watch the champ play the opening match. I get home at 18:00, just in time to hear that Sampras has won the match. But Capriati is on next, so I'm looking forward to seeing one of my favorite girls in action. 18:10 - rain. To fill the time they do what they always do when it's raining at Wimbledon: Show yet another repeat of that 1980 Borg vs McEnroe tiebreak. 19:00 - Play is suspended for the day.

Tuesday:
Yippie! I don't have to work today! I'm gonna watch me some tennis from Wimbledon! 13:00- Depressing pictures of a dark grey sky and the voice of Sue Barker: "I'm afraid it's one of those days again and prospects are not good that we're gonna get any play today. But while we're waiting and hoping for improvement in the weather, we're gioing to show you one of the greatest matches that the world has ever seen!"....there's that tiebreak again.:mad: 16:00 - still raining, but for our entertainment we now get a discussion with Pat Cash and Boris Becker about Richard Krajicek's remark that women tennis players are fat pigs. :rolleyes: 16:30 - Still no live tennis but they show a mixed doubles match that took place yesterday featuring two Brits that are ranked outside of the top 200. 18:00 - Play suspended for the day.

Wednesday:
I have to work again, but I programmed the VHS to record the tennis. On BBC one they will show a match featuring a Brit called Jeremy Bates who will take on a Spanish qualifier. On BBC two they will (so the tv guide says) a match from my girl, Martina Hingis, so I decide to record BBC two. I come home and start watching what I've just recorded. Sue Barker: "Unfortunately we had to leave the Jeremy Bates match on BBC one to make room for the horse racing. But you will now be able to see that match here on BBC two. We will keep you up to date with what's happening in the Hingis Match." :banghead:

Thursday:
Another attempt at recording tennis on the VHS and getting to see some great tennis after work. All day long I try to avoid the radio so that I'm sure that I won't hear any of the results of the matches I'm about to see. 17:00 on the bus home from work. Two teenagers in the seats in front of me - First teenager: "Are you following the tennis?" Second teenager: "Yes, Capriati and Sampras both won today, but Agassi is out." :fiery:

Friday:
I've given up on trying to record matches on my VHS. I get home at 18:30 at which time all singles matches are finished and I get to see some men's doubles instead. :tape:

Saturday:
Weekend! I'll be able to watch as much tennis as I want! 13:00 - Rain. 13:05 I give up and go out for a walk. I know that tiebreak inside out by now.

Sunday:
Glorious weather! Best day of the week!....but no tennis on the middle Sunday. :hysteric:

VHS!? thats it im going to get a collection started for you to get you TiVo

quote unquote
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:18 PM
i queue up mostly every year to get tickets and i have only been successful about 50/60% of the time and sometimes never saw a ball struck in anger because of bad weather but, just ask the fans who do this year upon year and they would do it again about 95%

PLP
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:22 PM
If they want to switch it up, like every other day, and put 2 women's matches on and only 1 man's than it's fine, Keep it up!
Of course they won't do that though. :lol:
The overall sexism at Wimbledon seems to be the worst out of all the slams, though it's obviously getting better...

On a practical note, considering the weather, they really should start a bit earlier on all of the courts in the 1st week, there are just too many matches to get through.

Coconut91
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:

Sunday:

:hug:

earthcrystal
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:51 PM
From what I understand from a couple of my English friends, the public there is much more interested in the ATP than the WTA. (Even pre-Murray). Ergo, Wimby panders to its public, I think. (In answer to the 2 matches vs 1 part of the question).

quote unquote
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
most of the people who attend Wimbledon are not tennis fans in general,yes,they know some of the better know players but overall most who attend within the fortnight dont watch tennis @ any other time,if the tickets went on sale daily to 80% of the people who queue up then you would see the difference,theres only around 500 tickets go on sale each daily for the show courts

far too many tickets go corporate and to Cliff Richards

duhcity
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Wimbledon also has as curfew. Was revealed last year when Novak's match went into the night. The public transport (train I believe) stops running at midnight. All those people would be stranded at the club.

And anyway, Wimbledon has never been kind to female players. Especially if they're not blonde. Remember when a official pretty much stated that Dinara was not pretty enough to play on Centre Court?

wally1
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM
No, 3 matches on show courts means more matches on ouside courts, which is very good for ground pass holders.

KournikovaFan91
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:54 PM
The overall sexism at Wimbledon seems to be the worst out of all the slams, though it's obviously getting better...

Very true, but then again it is stuffy and old fashioned about everything hardly surprising sexism is still prevalent at SW19.

They should start the show courts an hour earlier to fit 2 women's matches on.

Sean.
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I like the Wimbledon traditions & hate how cheap and commercial the other slams have become. It's good how they only have one session on the show courts, rather than sell a separate separate tickets to a night session.

Demand for tickets is always huge for Wimbledon, and there's never a spare seat even on the outer courts. And even if you just have ground passes you get to see big names. So they're doing something right.

And trust me, if you lived in Wimbledon you'd appreciate the scheduling!

Corswandt
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Thursday:

Story of my life since I watch nearly all televised tennis taped (DVRed since a couple of years ago). Titanic but ultimately unsuccessful efforts to avoid spoilers.

Corswandt
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I like the Wimbledon traditions & hate how cheap and commercial the other slams have become.

Thing is, those traditions (all whites, retarded scheduling) are commercial, since sticking with tradition, no matter how unpractical and arcane, is the English Open's main selling point these days. It owes as much to marketing as say the US Open's scheduling, which is dictated by TV stations.

-Sonic-
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:08 PM

Wimbledon and other British tennis events are one of the few places you get full stands all the time.

French Open starts matches at 11am and you're lucky to get a few hundred people in before 3pm.

I can also remember loads of empty Arthur Ashe seats for first matches, whatever time they started.

Other tournaments around the world, people can't even be given tickets for free, they'd rather stick needles in their eyes than watch tennis.

duhcity
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Thing is, those traditions (all whites, retarded scheduling) are commercial, since sticking with tradition, no matter how unpractical and arcane, is the English Open's main selling point these days. It owes as much to marketing as say the US Open's scheduling, which is dictated by TV stations.

Agreed.
The prices for alcohol are ridiculous from what I've read.
The US Open is reasonable for a sports event. Even better is that the US Open allows reentry. It means getting off and hopping on the train for a few minutes to Flushing and getting cheap beer and even cheaper asian food.

Wimbledon and other British tennis events are one of the few places you get full stands all the time.

French Open starts matches at 11am and you're lucky to get a few hundred people in before 3pm.

I can also remember loads of empty Arthur Ashe seats for first matches, whatever time they started.

Other tournaments around the world, people can't even be given tickets for free, they'd rather stick needles in their eyes than watch tennis.

I always feel like I have to defend the US Open.
Ashe is always empty during the day. In the US, buying the biggest show court ticket usually means being able to go to any court you'd like. Would you rather sit in the nosebleeds of Ashe or courtside at Armstrong?

pesto
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Food and drink prices are pretty much what you'd expect in a closed event venue in London. i.e. high.

But you're allowed to take in your own food and a bottle of wine per person or equivalent, so it's up to you if you want to keep the price down. At the Olympics, you won't be able to.

I don't like the sexism, but I think a lot of the other issues are due to the special demands of the surface, and keeping the main courts nice for the finals, and also to the suburban residential setting, where they really don't want to piss off the locals.

I like the all-white, low advertising rule. Very calming on the eyes, and I think it makes seeing the players against the all green background a lot easier.

And I absolutely love to see a slam fully-attended from day one.

Andy.
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I dont understand why they start at 12:00 it seems a little silly considering all other tournaments start their play at 11:00.

Sean.
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I dont understand why they start at 12:00 it seems a little silly considering all other tournaments start their play at 11:00.

The grass needs to dry out in the morning (including the practice courts), after which the players need time for a morning pre-match hit and warm-up. Only then can the matches start. Maybe playing too early would damage the grass.

Starting later on the show courts allows everyone to get into the grounds, have a look around, see some players practicing, etc., find there seat and then be there for the start of the 1st match.

The organisers know what they're doing far better than we do.

DefyingGravity
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I mean, I think they do this because, unlike the other three slams, it's not directly in a major city. Wimbledon village is JUST outside of the Circle Line in London and that means that there's always a mass exodus of people to and from the village during the days of play to get to one train station and out on only a couple of roads, clogged with busses and taxis. It's not like Roland Garros where you've got the potential to drive there on the Boulevard Peripherique and take the Porte d'Auteil train station, and a ton of busses or like the U.S. Open with the couple of subway stops, parking shared by another stadium complex, and busses or like the Australian Open where it's damn near in the downtown area of Melbourne, across from the MCG and has a lot of transportation to it as well. They have to think of the people who live there on a regular basis.

Also, I think the noon start ensures that they would get the dew all the way off the grass, because those tarps aren't completely waterproof and the grass that's covered in the shadow is very wet and slick.

Andy.
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Sean and DefyingGravity, your explainations were really good and made it very clear why Wimbledon is the way it is :yeah:Its easy to judge from the outside without knowing the facts.

Pops Maellard
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Definitely. 1am is too late for me to watch. :mad:

keithb1961
Jun 20th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Tradition is over rated. I dont see anyone using wood rackets and women wearing dresses down to their ankles....Wimbledon and FO need to get with the times and have lights and hawkeye on every court like Indian Wells.......

faboozadoo15
Jun 20th, 2011, 12:48 AM
The middle Sunday bullshit is so annoying...

archie4
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Tradition is over rated. I dont see anyone using wood rackets and women wearing dresses down to their ankles....Wimbledon and FO need to get with the times and have lights and hawkeye on every court like Indian Wells.......
Wimbledon has Hawkeye on four courts (Centre, 1, 2, 3), which I believe is more Hawkeye courts than any other major.

darrinbaker00
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:28 AM

If I were a player, I wouldn't want HawkEye at Roland Garros, because I would be limited to three challenges per set. As it stands now, players can "challenge" (by asking the chair umpire to check the mark) every call they think is wrong.

darrinbaker00
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:31 AM

Why? They finish on time every year. :shrug:

Chrissie-fan
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Definitely. For many people the only day in the week that they can watch the tennis, but the stuffed shirts don't want any play.

Keadz
Jun 20th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Fortunately the coverage of Wimbledon is so good that none of the court selections really bother me. I usually get to watch all the matches I am interested in.

Not a fan of the ticketing system though, the Aussie open pretty much has unlimited ground passes, I think this year they had one sell out...which was the first time I have heard of it happening. I would prefer being able to choose the court and session rather than going into a pool where there is only a chance you might get the day and matches you want.

In terms of of advertisements, I think slazenger and rolex are far more reconisable at Wimbledon than any of the other grand slams sponsors, by making it so exclusive it's almost had the opposite effect...

I still love Wimbledon though, even though my faves usually suck. Thankgod for the roof, no more repeats of Hewitt and Federer matches when there is a rain delay.

Svetlana)))
Jun 20th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Wimbledon is my least favourite slam

Gdsimmons
Jun 20th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I wish it started on Sunday. And I agree on the whole middle Sunday thing. Kinda ridiculous imo but thats how it is I guess

longtin23
Jun 20th, 2011, 04:58 AM
So the showcourts start at 1pm. Two matches today need to be arranged. Kvitova and Pironkova's matches need to be arranged. If the play starts from 11:00, these problem will be solved so I can't understand...

NA-GOAT
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Wimbledon also has as curfew. Was revealed last year when Novak's match went into the night. The public transport (train I believe) stops running at midnight. All those people would be stranded at the club.

And anyway, Wimbledon has never been kind to female players. Especially if they're not blonde. Remember when a official pretty much stated that Dinara was not pretty enough to play on Centre Court?

and they think Sexa is pretty enough :facepalm:

AdeyC
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:33 AM
They always have a few TBA matches - then if the three matches on Centre/No 1 Court are over quickly, they shove them on there.

Sean.
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Not a fan of the ticketing system though, the Aussie open pretty much has unlimited ground passes, I think this year they had one sell out...which was the first time I have heard of it happening. I would prefer being able to choose the court and session rather than going into a pool where there is only a chance you might get the day and matches you want.

They have to ration them because of the demand for tickets, they just can't fit everyone who wants to watch in the grounds. In the early days it's packed enough as it is!

It's a god send if you live in Wimbledon.

Tennis Ball
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Yes, it is. Im glad you brought this up. Its been annyoing me for years, particularly when they could not afford so before the roof was installed :rolleyes:. Thinking of England/GB being known for being a rainy country.... Sorry England/GB, you are lovely otherwise!

eck
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Well, taking out IBM Slamtracker is a bit of a step back....

tennisvideos
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I think that Wimbly has the best overall scheduling of all the grand slams - two days for the first three rounds, Day 7 is all the 4th round, then it alternated with men and women QF onwards.

Although I do think that they should schedule 4 matches on CC and C1

As a fan I hate that all of Rd 4 is played on the one day. There are so many great matches usually and yet you only get to see a couple on TV. Should be spread out over 2 days like all the other slams so the fans worldwide get to see more of the Rd 4 action. That silly Sunday rest day is so irrelevant it's not funny.

A-Bond
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I'm not a fan of the Wimbledon scheduling. First of all, the Sunday off sucks badly, furthermore I hate 4R being played all on the same day. Usually there are really good matches and it sucks that some of them are being played on smaller courts.

nevetssllim
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:41 PM

I used to be quite dubious about the ticketing system but I'm becoming a fan of it. I was hoping to go to the French Open this year but by the time I realised I was able to make it (about two months before) all of the ground passes were sold out and I wasn't prepared to buy a hugely over-inflated priced ticket from an operator. With Wimbledon, this is never a problem.

And while the ballot system is a bit annoying, it does mean court one and court two usually get full crowds for the second week, which is more than can be said for the other GSs.

Chrissie-fan
Jun 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:

Sunday:
.....and it seems that this year it will be more of the same. I just got home, put on the telly: RAIN!!! :tape:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jun 20th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I don't like that there's no play on Sunday either but what can you do.

The thing that really gets on my nerves is the CC and the roof. They must have known it was going to rain, why didn't they close the roof after Nadal's match? It cost us lots of time wasted, plus Dokic and Schiavone had to stop their match :rolleyes:

Mightymirza
Jun 20th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I know!! Its about time they got their heads out of their arses!! This is just ridiculous thing going on in the name of tradition! Making Venus play on court 2 while berdych gets court 1 is just outrageous!

Ori
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I know!! Its about time they got their heads out of their arses!! This is just ridiculous thing going on in the name of tradition! Making Venus play on court 2 while berdych gets court 1 is just outrageous!

Berdych is the defending finalist in the mens tournament, I dont see how this is such a mistake to put him in court 1.

FedererBulgaria
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:17 PM
And why PIRONKOVA must wait till she can play on court number.....this is GS and to moving on court to court following the score is...:tape: and rain now...im really mad i hope this tour. will be playing only on Centre court because of rain till the end :fiery: enjoy your Wimbledon all!

BartoLiNa
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Starting at 12 on outside courts is beyond stupid.

NA-GOAT
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM
bunch of WTA matches, including Jie Zheng, Aga Radwanska and Julia Georges, cancelled for today because they were scheduled for 5th match on court :spit:

now these girls have to play 1R on Wed and 2R Thursday :help:

Adrian.
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:33 PM
And just because of stupid tradition :rolleyes:

Just start playing at 11am and noon on the bigger courts :shrug:

Sean.
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:38 PM
Starting at 12 on outside courts is beyond stupid.

And just because of stupid tradition :rolleyes:

Just start playing at 11am and noon on the bigger courts :shrug:

It's not because of tradition. If you actually read the thread there's a valid reason for it.

quote unquote
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM
there are so many people attending this year they have, told people they will be turned away. i have tickets for next week thank the lord!

quote unquote
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:42 PM
It's not because of tradition. If you actually read the thread there's a valid reason for it.

you seem a very sensible poster; i can see why so many ignore what you say

Adrian.
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Because of slippery grass? :weirdo:
at 11 am? :weirdo:
And training courts? :shrug: They are surely players who have to practise at 10am or even earlier although starting at noon :shrug:

adner
Jun 21st, 2011, 06:47 PM

They've found a way to start qualifying matches at 11am.

Sean.
Jun 21st, 2011, 07:34 PM
Because of slippery grass? :weirdo:
at 11 am? :weirdo:
And training courts? :shrug: They are surely players who have to practise at 10am or even earlier although starting at noon :shrug:

That's exactly the point if you actually stopped to think about it for a minute. To play at 12 the players will have to start there morning practice at about 9/10. If they were to start at 11 then the players would want to practice at about 8am, at which time the practice courts will be still be wet and would not last the full two weeks.

They've found a way to start qualifying matches at 11am.

On Roehampton courts that don't have to be preserved for two weeks.

Adrian.
Jun 21st, 2011, 07:37 PM
Then they have to find a better grass :p

Sean.
Jun 21st, 2011, 07:44 PM
Then they have to find a better grass :p

:lol: Trust me they've tried, spent millions trying to grow special types of grass and even more looking after it.

If there was a solution (short of becoming a hard court), they would have found it by now.