PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova: Serena and Venus "will still be players to beat."

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Her words, not mine (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2005233/WIMBLEDON-2011-Williams-sisters-players-beat-says-Sharapova.html):
Sharapova said: 'They've been champions here for many years. They're obviously the ones to beat on grass. They've been out for a while so it's definitely great to have them back.'

She always a wise, if not too completely clever, one at the mental side of things.

She knows that the pressure is building on her having a great run, with a fairly manageable draw and many people encouraged by her French Open performance/Clay Court season, just like they were in 2008 and 2009.

Less pressure on her is what she's trying to make here by making sure to say those two are still the favorites. But this is more about Maria truly not wanting the mantle of being the favorite and feeling the expectations of winning this title.

She's never done well when she can't go fully or partly under the radar, and she won't be that here.

Anyway, Maria supporters, have your say, and don't make me :lol: too much at you......Just a civil, friendly discussion is all that is required.

Cheers. :wavey:

young_gunner913
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Well, to her credit, I highly doubt Maria would be dumb enough to say "I'm the favorite. Try and beat me." While her draw isn't too troubling, she's not immune to a WTF upset at Wimbledon and also there's Serena-Na in the SF's. Both players enjoy beating her, Serena hasn't lost to her since 04 and Na spanked her in the RG SFs and her last 2/3 wins against Sharapova have both been on grass.

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Well, to her credit, I highly doubt Maria would be dumb enough to say "I'm the favorite. Try and beat me." While her draw isn't too troubling, she's not immune to a WTF upset at Wimbledon and also there's Serena-Na in the SF's. Both players enjoy beating her, Serena hasn't lost to her since 04 and Na spanked her in the RG SFs and her last 2/3 wins against Sharapova have both been on grass.

This is true, which makes me laugh at how many ESPN experts have picked her to win.

Mistress of Evil
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Sharapova is just stating the obvious :shrug: on what grounds she is supposed to say that she is the favourite :lol: two of the most recent showings of hers in London ended by being humiliated by the likes of Dulko and Kudryavtseva :spit: moreover, she has just gone out of her GS QF drought so its far from certain that she will back up her RG performance :bigwave: I mean she indeed has a great draw to make the semis but with her you never know, these days :) plus she is Serena's bitch and we all know how her two Wimbledon encounters with Vee turned out :D so as a non-delusional human being with a common sense she said what she said ;)

Craig.
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM
She's right :shrug:

dsanders06
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Her words, not mine (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2005233/WIMBLEDON-2011-Williams-sisters-players-beat-says-Sharapova.html):

She always a wise, if not too completely clever, one at the mental side of things.

She knows that the pressure is building on her having a great run, with a fairly manageable draw and many people encouraged by her French Open performance/Clay Court season, just like they were in 2008 and 2009.

Less pressure on her is what she's trying to make here by making sure to say those two are still the favorites. But this is more about Maria truly not wanting the mantle of being the favorite and feeling the expectations of winning this title.

She's never done well when she can't go fully or partly under the radar, and she won't be that here.

Anyway, Maria supporters, have your say, and don't make me :lol: too much at you......Just a civil, friendly discussion is all that is required.

Cheers. :wavey:

ORRRR, maybe she's not so insecure and arrogant that she needs to insist "no-one can beat me if I play my best", and would prefer to let her tennis do the talking? :shrug:

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:45 PM
ORRRR, maybe she's not so insecure and arrogant that she needs to insist "no-one can beat me if I play my best", and would prefer to let her tennis do the talking? :shrug:

Ehhhhh, you, saying Maria isn't arrogant :lol:

Of course she isn't "arrogant" to the press before a match and even after a match in regards to another player, but she has had many arrogant moments off the court in interviews and, well, on the court......(ask Hantuchova and even Jankovic).

And again, those certain players saying "no one can beat me if i play my best" is actually quite, you know, a factual statement. Hence why her peers are so happy to see that player come back this week. It's always genuine and real with her, never fake and tactically dubious like a certain other. :lol:

Sammo
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Just for saying that I hope that either Serena or Venus steamroll her :o

Effy
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Just for saying that I hope that either Serena or Venus steamroll her :o

hope u feel better now :hug:

Effy
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:52 PM
sluggahjells's obsession with Maria is weird :lol:

RenaSlam.
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Duh.

NadalSharapova
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Betting markets has Sharapova as the tournament favourite.

dsanders06
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Ehhhhh, you, saying Maria isn't arrogant :lol:

Of course she isn't "arrogant" to the press before a match and even after a match in regards to another player, but she has had many arrogant moments off the court in interviews and, well, on the court......(ask Hantuchova and even Jankovic).

And again, those certain players saying "no one can beat me if i play my best" is actually quite, you know, a factual statement. Hence why her peers are so happy to see that player come back this week. It's always genuine and real with her, never fake and tactically dubious like a certain other. :lol:

Yawn.

My point was that Maria's never been the type to crown herself the favourite or grandstand about how good she is, no matter how confident or unconfident she's feeling - like I said, she lets her tennis do the talking, for better or for worse. For instance, I distinctly remember her saying Henin was the overwhelming favourite right before she won the Australian in 2008.

Personally, I see her making the final and losing there to Venus.

MaruSharapova
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:01 PM
What did she do wrong now? I wonder if you scan maria's interviews for things like this so you can open threads about how much of a bad person she is? :shrug:

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:06 PM
sluggahjells's obsession with Maria is weird :lol:

Obsession? :lol:

Your obsession with me is quite clear.

This is the first thread I have made of her, so lol, your perspective is highly funny. Oh you Shriester supporters are hilarious. I :worship: to your craziness.

NadalSharapova
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Maria is being very reserved and pessimistic if anything considering she is actually the betting favourite and Serena and Venus are the 2nd and 3rd favs. She probably just wants to get the pressure off her shoulders

madmax
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I wonder how long will it take till this troll gets his ass banned here...his non-stop obsession with everything Pova related is quite amusing to say the least ( for a "neutral observer" as he claims he is)

18majors
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Serena and Venus are queens of Wimbledon until they are beaten.

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Yawn.

My point was that Maria's never been the type to crown herself the favourite or grandstand about how good she is, no matter how confident or unconfident she's feeling - like I said, she lets her tennis do the talking, for better or for worse. For instance, I distinctly remember her saying Henin was the overwhelming favourite right before she won the Australian in 2008.

Personally, I see her making the final and losing there to Venus.

Yes, but it's more clearly on Maria just not wanting pressure on her shoulders going into a tournament.

She heard the whispers of how she should beat Wozniacki and was the heavy favorite going into that match last September, and cracked under the pressure against an opponent who showed that she was not going to fear her at all on the day.

And again, Wimbledon of 08 and 09, showed just that, as well as almost against Garcia in the French and Na Li in the semifinals.

There's no way, on her confident form, she should be losing 6-3, 4-1 to a #180-something player NO MATTER the surface. Even with Garcia showing great ability, Maria was playing terrible tactical points in that match before Garcia felt the pressure on the moment and showed how "17 in 2011" she is.

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Maria is being very reserved and pessimistic if anything considering she is actually the betting favourite and Serena and Venus are the 2nd and 3rd favs. She probably just wants to get the pressure off her shoulders

EXACTLY.

You win the thread for saying the obvious thing that I have said to begin with. Nice to see a rational Shriester fan.

MaruSharapova
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Yes, but it's more clearly on Maria just not wanting pressure on her shoulders going into a tournament.

She heard the whispers of how she should beat Wozniacki and was the heavy favorite going into that match last September, and cracked under the pressure against an opponent who showed that she was not going to fear her at all on the day.

And again, Wimbledon of 08 and 09, showed just that, as well as almost against Garcia in the French and Na Li in the semifinals.

There's no way, on her confident form, she should be losing 6-3, 4-1 to a #180-something player NO MATTER the surface. Even with Garcia showing great ability, Maria was playing terrible tactical points in that match before Garcia felt the pressure on the moment and showed how "17 in 2011" she is.

Can't Maria have a bad day then? I mean she clearly was having one against Garcia. all of the other opponents you listed played better than her and therefore won the match :shrug:

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
I wonder how long will it take till this troll gets his ass banned here...his non-stop obsession with everything Pova related is quite amusing to say the least ( for a "neutral observer" as he claims he is)

:lol:

Why do certain Shriester fans want to silence certain people for just being neutral and wanting rational discussion?

Classic.......just classic :rolls:

DefyingGravity
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Well, she's got a point. She's one of the only Wimbledon champs in the field, and she's only got one while Serena's got 4 and Venus 5.

Even Federer and Nadal are quick to say the other is the favorite in the media just to take the pressure off of them!

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Can't Maria have a bad day then? I mean she clearly was having one against Garcia. all of the other opponents you listed played better than her and therefore won the match :shrug:

She had a bad day against Na Li too, and almost had a bad day against Aggie as well.

But Garcia was worse because it wasn't about bad strokes, but how she was getting outplayed and, most importantly, out thought and out calmed against a 17 year old who hadn't shown any pedigree to do THAT well at the highest level.

That's a concerning sign I have to say that most aren't truly discussing, especially if she plays even Robson in Round 2.

dsanders06
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM

If that was because of Maria cracking under the pressure, she would've ended up losing that match...instead, she won 11 straight games to take the match.

Straws. Clutching.

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Well, she's got a point. She's one of the only Wimbledon champs in the field, and she's only got one while Serena's got 4 and Venus 5.

Even Federer and Nadal are quick to say the other is the favorite in the media just to take the pressure off of them!

Nowadays, Federer does it, but he's right!

When Federer was favorite, he was never arrogant, but he knew and admitted that he was the favorite going into his matches.

Nadal just always do that even if he has 20 Grand Slams, he is just humble and respectful like that, although only really to Federer and now Djokovic.

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM
If that was because of Maria cracking under the pressure, she would've ended up losing that match...instead, she won 11 straight games to take the match.

Straws. Clutching.

Simple guy.

She sensed Garcia was the one getting nervous, and she is a great survivor is Sharapova, where she plays relaxed when she's behind, unless it is against of course a Serena, Venus, and now a Na Li, Caroline, Kim (Cincinnati showed that, especially in set 3), and Vika (and soon to be Kvitova in the future).

Sharapova was tight the first five games of the 2nd, and Garcia was so relaxed throughout until the moment got to her.

atominside
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:36 PM
sluggahjells in a maria thread :yawn::clap2:

ico4498
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Maria rocks!

quote unquote
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:33 PM
i think Sharapova is injured or slightly ( ihope not) but Sam Smith commented on her serve @ RG and when i look back at it she was very correct

as for Williams depends more on their opponents than them

StephenUK
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I think it's code for: 'Serena and Venus looked shaky at Eastbourne last week, I really hope they lose in the first week before I get to meet them, by which time they will have probably played themselves into form and I will have no chance!' :lol:

Break My Rapture
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:03 PM
LMAO sluggahjells is so obsessed with Maria.

Claiming a simple (and true at that) answer to a question she has gotten at like every slam since forever is part of mental mindgames she plays, trying to get the pressure off her? :hysteric: What's next? Is the one golden line on her new Wimbledon dress gonna reflect sunshine in her opponents' eyes so they will miss? :spit: Christ.

Effy
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Obsession? :lol:

Your obsession with me is quite clear.

This is the first thread I have made of her, so lol, your perspective is highly funny. Oh you Shriester supporters are hilarious. I :worship: to your craziness.

i won't even bother with you :lol: just one thing fuck off :D

starin
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I think it's code for: 'Serena and Venus looked shaky at Eastbourne last week, I really hope they lose in the first week before I get to meet them, by which time they will have probably played themselves into form and I will have no chance!' :lol:

:hysteric:

bandabou
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:39 PM

Hmmm....somebody might be on a lil something here. :lol:

GrandMartha
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:56 PM
and this worth discussing because? :rolleyes:

Root
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:00 PM
and this worth discussing because? :rolleyes:

OP must mention Shriester at least once every single day.

doomsday
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:47 PM
OP must mention Shriester at least once every single day.

More like once every single minute(check out his profile:help:)

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Of course, telling the truth. I think that Wimbledon is the only tournament in the calender at which we can say that the Williams sisters are the favourites to take the title, even if they haven't played in a year or have struggled with injuries :shrug:.

For me :

1.Serena Williams
2.Venus Williams
3.Maria Sharapova
4.Petra Kvitova
5. Li Na

The winner will be between these players :angel:.

Potato
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Truth :shrug:

lefty24
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Was he finally banned?

gc-spurs
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Most rational answer is because its true. They are the queens of Wimbledon, they have 9 singles titles between them. Serena is the defending champion. The only reason they're not higher up in the rankings are because of injury. They have the best grass games. They're definitely the ones to beat. Sharapova's quote was totally based on merit. Without the Williams sisters, she's the one to beat (again based on merit), but her Wimbledon merits pale next to theirs.

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Well, as I enjoy Father's Day with my family (and Bob Bradley almost blowing this for US Soccer today), glad to see all hell has not broken loose here, and that outside of a few Shriester obsessed individuals we have had a nice civil discourse........Encouraging, maybe the light is slowly shining on people. :lol:

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Was he finally banned?

Your desperation is quite hilarious :lol:

But never fear, I am still here. :wavey:

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:36 PM

This and THIS. :worship: to your perfect analysis.

Craig.
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:40 PM

Is your goal to annoy Maria fans? :confused: I'd really like to know.

Root
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Well, as I enjoy Father's Day with my family (and Bob Bradley almost blowing this for US Soccer today), glad to see all hell has not broken loose here, and that outside of a few Shriester obsessed individuals we have had a nice civil discourse........Encouraging, maybe the light is slowly shining on people. :lol:

You're excessively obsessed with Shriester. The most in TF. :shrug: The majority of your posts mention Maria at least once.

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Is your goal to annoy Maria fans? :confused: I'd really like to know.

Um, no, it's not my fault that you can't handle rational truths about your favorite. But okay, :lol:, that's you.

I'm just trying to help the whole perspective so you won't be delusional if she losses badly here. :rolleyes: :lol:

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:48 PM
You're excessively obsessed with Shriester. The most in TF. :shrug: The majority of your posts mention Maria at least once.

I think some people are more SluggahJells obsessed is more the proper term. :wavey:

Craig.
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Um, no, it's not my fault that you can't handle rational truths about your favorite. But okay, :lol:, that's you.

I'm just trying to help the whole perspective so you won't be delusional if she losses badly here. :rolleyes: :lol:

Thanks, but no thanks :tape:

And I actually enjoyed your analysis of the game :weirdo:

dsanders06
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:51 PM
See, I wouldn't even mind Sluggahjells if he was actually amusing. Like, I'm a fan of Kim, but atleast some people's bashings of her here are occasionally funny. But Sluggahwhatever's rants are just annoying and boring. I mean, "Shriester"? Wtf is that? :hysteric:

Craig.
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:53 PM

I love how he didn't deny this :haha:

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:59 PM

Just simply to correct all the misinformation and weird posts you guys make about your fav, just to better the whole community with more rational and reasonable thoughts.

I truly do :worship: your loyalty though to her, even if it means speaking more with two hearts than having a brain. :rolls:

Tennisstar86
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Serena has given her one too many beatdowns for her not to show respect.

Root
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:04 PM

I also love how he is generalising fans of Maria as Woz haters when the same could be said about him. Yet another Wozniacki fan hating on Pova, but wait, with rational truth and neutral position (:lol:).

Craig.
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:05 PM

Just simply to correct all the misinformation and weird posts you guys make about your fav, just to better the whole community with more rational and reasonable thoughts.

I truly do :worship: your loyalty though to her, even if it means speaking more with two hearts than having a brain. :rolls:

:hysteric: This is the first time you're funny at least, props on that :yeah:

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I also love how he is generalising fans of Maria as Woz haters when the same could be said about him. Yet another Wozniacki fan hating on Pova, but wait, with rational truth and neutral position (:lol:).

Depsite me complementing her game and all, I'm a hater of the Shriester?? :lol::lol:

I'm just loving the continued craziness of the legion.

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:07 PM
:hysteric: This is the first time you're funny at least, props on that :yeah:

Gracias Montreal native.....gracias.......I have to commend you for that.

At least you try to be a rational Maria supporter, unlike a few lost causes around here. :lol:

Craig.
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Depsite me complementing her game and all, I'm a hater of the Shriester?? :lol::lol:

The negatives outweigh the positives. By far. Even a diehard Maria hater would have to admit that Maria's win at 17 was remarkable (which is I'm sure what you're referring to when you say you ''complemented'' her).

Root
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:08 PM

For starters, rid of the nickname.

lefty24
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:09 PM

It's not desperation, the button to report you was gone. :angel: