PDA

View Full Version : Who is more talented, Wozniacki or Kvitova?

Setsuna.
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Sorry but no way i would put the option "Wozniacki by far" in this poll.:lol:

Forehand : Petra by far.
Backhand : Tie. Petra's is better when on (imo).
Overall Serve : Petra by far.
Defense : Caro by far.
Offense : Petra by far.
Ball Striking : Petra by far.
Volley : Petra.
ROS : Petra by far.

Better best form: Petra by far.

So who do you think is the more talented/gifted player?

18majors
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Petra.

Burisleif
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Yippy yet another pissing contest today :)

Njalle
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Caro - and I laugh at your patethic attempt at denigrating her.

QuietPlease
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Let's see. They're the same age. One have 16 titles and is number 1 in the world. The other has 4 titles and so far peaked at #8.

Either Caro has the bigger talent or Petra don't know what to do with hers...

RenaSlam.
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Petra, but not by far as of now.

In The Zone
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I think everyone has a different definition of "talent". When I think talent, I think something that is natural and a gift.

Wozniacki is a workhorse. That is why she is so good, I don't feel that requires much talent.

Petra is more talented.

Pops Maellard
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:01 AM
:yawn: to the hundredth power.

Aaron.
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:10 AM
This thread is the perfect bait for the Woz haters :lol:

Aaron.
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:11 AM

So who do you think is the more talented/gifted player? :facepalm: What are you smoking?

Andy.
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I think everyone has a different definition of "talent". When I think talent, I think something that is natural and a gift.

Wozniacki is a workhorse. That is why she is so good, I don't feel that requires much talent.

Petra is more talented.
Perfect explaination. The discussion ends here really.

Vincey!
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Well I wouldn't count Caro has a pure "talent" type of player, where the strikes seems to come naturally and tennis just an inner thing. Caro's tennis has been practiced and learnt over the years, yes it's less flashing but there's less risk for her game to fall apart than a player who relies on pure talent, some talented player only rely on that and tend to take it for granted, they have good runs but are really inconsistent. Which one is better is a tough call. BUT to answer the question (relevant or not) Petra is by far more talented.

duhcity
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Lord. This is a peak vs. peak thread.

Anyone who plays like Caroline would never win a peak form vs. peak form contest. The point is Kvitova, in varying degrees of severity, can lose the plot.

Potato
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:53 AM
When you watch Caroline play you aren't like, "oh my gosh look how well she strikes the ball", or even, "oh my gosh look how technically flawless her movement is..." she is obviously talented but she isn't any Davenport in ballstriking or Clijsters or even JJ in movement. What she has in abundance is a great mentality and what you DO see on court is a girl who works very very hard to get where she is.

Kvitova is able to do more with the ball, though she is very on and off. Also her fitness is not the best. She plays with much more intensity and her game is overall a lot more smooth than the Woz's. For me, I do not think Kvitova works as hard as Wozniacki, though I think she is capable of doing much more.

longtin23
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Kvitova is more talented,,, so Caroline work so hard to improve...

PMBH
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Caro by far, obviously. She is younger than Petra but leads her in anything from H2H, titles, slam performances, money earnings, etc.

kiwialicat
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Caro by far, obviously. She is younger than Petra but leads her in anything from H2H, titles, slam performances, money earnings, etc.

Er...no. Talent does not equal achievements. Many massively talented people never achieve very much. Petra is more talented than Wozniacki. That much is pretty much obvious. She might not ever achieve as much though.

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:16 AM

So who do you think is the more talented/gifted player?

ROS> What is that?

Wozniacki has a better backhand than Kvitova. It's more consistent, and Wozniacki an be aggressive.

Mental toughness/Big match player: Both are very good in this department, but still favor Wozniacki, and that's a huge factor that you leave out of the equation.

Then again this is a "more talented" and another discussion to bash Wozniacki. :lol:

Haters never take a break it seems.

WozTakesAll
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Being mentally strong is also a talent. That is why Caro wins.

Wert.
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Wozniacki

Jean-Henri
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Wozniacki is the more talented.

RobinT83
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Caroline Wozniacki.
Kvitova is just an another brainless ballbasher.

Joelina
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:34 AM
i don´t like both but Caroline is more talented

xieergai
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Woz played so much matches,but Kvitova is more talented.

Madoka
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:51 AM
if we talk of talent as some kinda gift you get when you were born, petra by far.

ivan55k
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:59 AM
kvitova

Break My Rapture
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Kvitova by a long shot. More fluid ball-striking and better skills at the net.

Daruma.
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Petra BY FAR. But the one who makes the most out of her talent is Wozniacki, no doubt about that. I think some people are confusing these two.

Matej
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:10 AM

As someone pointed out, talent and achievements are two very different things. For example, Romina Oprandi is certainly far more talented than - say - Shahar Peer, but Shahar Peer has much better achievements.

Plus both Petra and Wozniacki are still very young and some types of players (namely those with attacking style of play) usually need more time to develop their game fully. Martina Navrátilová won her first grandslam title in 1978 when she was 22 years old, while Chris Evert had already 6 grandslam titles when she was 22 years old. At the end of their careers, both Chris and Martina had 18 grandslam titles.

It´s pretty clear that in terms of ball-striking ability, Petra is way more talented than Wozniacki. Wozniacki has better movement and far better defense ...

Soliloque
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Caroline. And I'm serious.

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Wozniacki because she's G.O.A.T :worship:.

I think someone should make a Caroline vs Jesus thread :yeah:. Caroline's 1# and her 16 titles is far more than what Jesus has achieved so :shrug:.

madmax
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM
how can anyone even compare a baseline grinder with immense ballstriker like Petra? Not only that, but Kvitova also has very good hands at the net and is much better all-arround player too. What she lacks is maybe work ethic and consistency, but that can be said for many underachieving girls out there

kollun
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I am just wondering, do people call it talent when you can hit a ball hard?

Do people really consider the hard hitters Kvitova, Cibulkova, Sharapova, Görges and Stosur as being talented tennis players? What game would they have if you take 50% power away?

For me real talent is shown by Aga Radwanska and Sveta Kuznetsova. They can both hit all shots in the tennis book, and several shots not in the book.

Break My Rapture
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Wozniacki because she's G.O.A.T :worship:.

I think someone should make a Caroline vs Jesus thread :yeah:. Caroline's 1# and her 16 titles is far more than what Jesus has achieved so :shrug:.
:spit: :sobbing:

doomsday
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I am just wondering, do people call it talent when you can hit a ball hard?

Do people really consider the hard hitters Kvitova, Cibulkova, Sharapova, Görges and Stosur as being talented tennis players? What game would they have if you take 50% power away?

For me real talent is shown by Aga Radwanska and Sveta Kuznetsova. They can both hit all shots in the tennis book, and several shots not in the book.

That's not just the fact that they can hit hard(Sharapova and Kvitova) they also have a lovely control of their strokes, there isn't one player who can put others players on the run like Sharapova can. She can also find amazing angles with a beautiful pace especially with her BH, Kuznetsova can hit all shots but she is an error machine due to a horrible footwork that's also the reason why she is missing a lot of shots.

Chrissie-fan
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Interesting that there is a "Kvitova by far" but not a "Wozniacki by far" option. Not that I would vote for either one of those choices, but what's the point of a poll where the options that people can vote for already reveal a strong bias in favor of one of the two players?

Setsuna.
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Interesting that there is a "Kvitova by far" but not a "Wozniacki by far" option. Not that I would vote for either one of those choices, but what's the point of a poll where the options that people can vote for already reveal a strong bias in favor of one of the two players?

Well, I thought many ppl in this thread would say that Petra is way more talented so a provided the option "Kvitova by far". Simple as that.

Slutiana
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:58 AM
It's interesting that a Woz fan brought up mental toughness as a way to boost her credentials. A lot of Wozniacki's mental toughness has to do with the fact that she's so consistent. She never gives anything away and that trumps the players who play great and then mentally fall apart and choke. OTOH, Petra also never gives up and she often digs herself out of tough moments by playing big points well and upping it when it matters.

Setsuna.
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:58 AM

Petra is more talented.

Well said.

kollun
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM
That's not just the fact that they can hit hard(Sharapova and Kvitova) they also have a lovely control of their strokes, there isn't one player who can put others players on the run like Sharapova can. She can also find amazing angles with a beautiful pace especially with her BH, Kuznetsova can hit all shots but she is an error machine due to a horrible footwork that's also the reason why she is missing a lot of shots.
So what you are saying is, take away 50% of their power, and they would still win tournaments? Anyone else agreeing with that statement?

Matej
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:03 AM
So what you are saying is, take away 50% of their power, and they would still win tournaments? Anyone else agreeing with that statement?

Take away 50% of Wozniacki´s speed and/or anticipation, would she still win tournaments?

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be a comparison between the talent of Kvitová and Wozniacki, not between Kvitová and Radwanska / Kuznetsova.

Jean-Henri
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Well, I thought many ppl in this thread would say that Petra is way more talented so a provided the option "Kvitova by far". Simple as that.

Your explanation doesn't sound very simple actually, but insulting, yes.

Instead of waiting for what people would actually say in your poll - which is why we do have polls, isn't it ? - you implied your own anticipated result of your poll, and left out our options for answering it in a balanced way.

Slutiana
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:05 AM
It's interesting that a Woz fan brought up mental toughness as a way to boost her credentials. A lot of Wozniacki's mental toughness has to do with the fact that she's so consistent. She never gives anything away and that trumps the players who play great and then mentally fall apart and choke. OTOH, Petra also never gives up and she often digs herself out of tough moments by playing big points well and upping it when it matters.

homogenius
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Kvitova is obviously more talented but as of now, Woz is still a better player

The Reff
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:08 AM
There is a lot of casual reference to the term "talented" in this forum.
Doesn't anybody realise that this is an insult in relation to a player in the top 100?
If you utilize the term in present tense, it is the equivalent of praising a grown up for the shape, size and colour of their stools at the age of three - and the bigger the talent the larger the potential insult. The term is biblical (it also refers to a currency but that has no bearing on this situation) and it is quite well elaborated in said book - it is only a third of a way of reasoning and it cannot be separated from the other two thirds.
I have twice earlier tried to explain what i thought would be a simple concept. Talents are what you are given before taking on life. As soon as you start to exploit them you are accomplished (with the option to improve accomplishment) and here lies the most ridiculous trait of these threads. As talent is measured against accomplishment towards "life acievement" the equation many talents (or, in relation to one endeavour such as tennis: much talent) developed into few accomplishments spells poor life achievement. As an example:

If Caroline Wozniacki has little or no talent but a high level of accomplishment = high achievement (this being the goal of the equation)
If Kvitova has much talent but a low level of accomplishment = low achievement

Without (openly) making any claim to any the opinions in the thread whatsoever, I do, however, feel that a thread such as this would be served better by the term skilled. It would bestow upon the huge amount of irrelevant statements,at least a thin veil of literacy and sense (I realise that this is not easily acheived as the term ranted about in my post is widely misrepresented - using the term colloquially require the user to introduce an arbitrary definition if he/she wants to make even the tiniest impression of coherence. If Talents in this ad hoc definition has any influence on accomplishment you are logically stuck with the classical definition as well).

kollun
Jun 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Take away 50% of Wozniacki´s speed and/or anticipation, would she still win tournaments?

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be a comparison between the talent of Kvitová and Wozniacki, not between Kvitová and Radwanska / Kuznetsova.
Maybe its just me then who considers using the mind as you do in anticipation (reading the game) a bigger talent then a big biceps. Some player use the brain other the biceps, wonder where the term in here "Brainless Ball Basher" comes from? Biceps in the head is a rare occurrence. :)

TheHangover
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Let's see. They're the same age. One have 16 titles and is number 1 in the world. The other has 4 titles and so far peaked at #8.

Either Caro has the bigger talent or Petra don't know what to do with hers...

Thread is about talent not number of titles

goldenlox
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:48 PM
In pure strokes I would say Kvitova, but for who will have a btter career, its still wide open, although Caroline is way ahead right now.

Mr.Sharapova
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM
In pure strokes I would say Kvitova, but for who will have a btter career, its still wide open, although Caroline is way ahead right now.

Oh yeah right. Her 16 titles and her 1#, + how many Tier I in a row were there again ?:scratch:.

Its so odd that I forgot since you keep mentioning that all the time.

goldenlox
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:57 PM
A lot of players dont do that in their whole careers.
Petrova never won 17 titles, never reached a slam final, never reached #1.
So Kvitova is way behind her. She can get ahead of her by winning Wimbledon, but its no lock that Petra ever wins a major

Burisleif
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Thread is about talent not number of titles

Actually it's an ambiguous and poorly defined pissing contest. The only litmus for talent as a tennis player is winning, because the whole objective of tennis is to win the match, not to look good doing so, or displaying a lovely example of drilled technique. All that proves is good coaching.

If you don't have the talent between the ears to utilize your 'beautiful' strokes and execute a strategy to win, then as a 'tennis player' you're not that talented after all.

What next in the logic of the detractor? Player A is prettier than Player B therefore a better tennis player, or should we bring the players outfits into the equation as well?

People who actually think that hitting consistently beautiful, hard, flat, strokes, has anything to do with tennis talent are sadly mistaken and delusional, a fact you should realize when that strategy is failing for what ever reason.

young_gunner913
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:17 PM
A lot of players dont do that in their whole careers.
Petrova never won 17 titles, never reached a slam final, never reached #1.
So Kvitova is way behind her. She can get ahead of her by winning Wimbledon, but its no lock that Petra ever wins a major

But every Wozniacki fan insists that she has 10+ years to win a slam. Why not Petra? :lol:

goldenlox
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:19 PM
The beautiful strokes thing is a big part of watching tennis.
People want to be the 1st to say "I knew she would win majors"
And Kvitova has the kind of game that might win majors.
But success in an individual sport is also very mental, and these players are both early on their careers.
When Hingis and Justine turned 20 Hingis had 5 majors & Justine had none

So these players still have most of their careers ahead of them.

GreenGrass
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Wozniacki by far

joăo.
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
When she's on Petra is far better but only when she's really on... most of the time Caro wins imo.
As far of talent goes I think it's tough to compare since they have very different game styles.

Corswandt
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM
This is a peak vs. peak thread.

Anyone who plays like Caroline would never win a peak form vs. peak form contest.

Basically.

Chrissie-fan
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM
If you don't have the talent between the ears to utilize your 'beautiful' strokes and execute a strategy to win, then as a 'tennis player' you're not that talented after all.

For me the combination of finesse, creativity, instict and anticipation are the true hallmarks of tennis genius. When I look at players like Evonne Goolagong, Martina Hingis, John McEnroe or Roger Federer when he's on - these to me are players with a truly remarkable talent. But all players who have reached the top, no matter what type of tennis they play are very talented. To like a, say, Sharapova at her best hit the ball with that pace and yet keep control and hit winner after winner - that's talent. Being able like Wozniacki to anticipate where her opponent is going to hit the ball and keep returning shots in rally after rally that would have been winners against almost anyone else - that's talent.

Matej
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:39 PM
The beautiful strokes thing is a big part of watching tennis.
People want to be the 1st to say "I knew she would win majors"
And Kvitova has the kind of game that might win majors.
But success in an individual sport is also very mental, and these players are both early on their careers.
When Hingis and Justine turned 20 Hingis had 5 majors & Justine had none

So these players still have most of their careers ahead of them.

I agree.

Anyway, if we consider this year alone, Wozniacki and Kvitová are actually not thar far away from each other in terms of achievements:

They have quite similar grandslam results - Woz: semi and 3rd round; Petra: QF and 4th round

Winning Dubai, Indian Wells and Charleston is pretty similar to winning Paris, Madrid and Brisbane (with respect to the opponents that they have to beat).

Winning Brussels is comparable to the final in Eastbourne (again, in terms of the quality of players that they have to beat).

However, Copenhagen >> final in Prague. :) :) :)

Corswandt
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:47 PM
However, Copenhagen >> final in Prague.

Copenhagen >>>>>>>> everything by any other player on the Tour, active or retired.

Irute
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM
These talent threads are so subjective. Whatever product one sees today is a total sum of talent and hard work. It is almost impossible to tell which one contributed more to the final result. All the top players had to have pretty high degree of talent that made them good tennis material. No one would be able to make me a great singer no matter how much meaningful work they would make me do. Bottom line Wozniacki is better today overall; who has better natural abilities objectively nobody can say!

Slutiana
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:29 PM

Bonfire
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I think Wozniacki is more talented. Kvitova is a good player with potential but as of now...I have to go with Caro.

GoofyDuck
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:53 PM
peak Kvitova vs peak Wozniacki is 6-2 6-0

Ksenia_PervakFAN
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:58 PM
You can't be world #1 without talent !!!!

Matej
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:11 PM
You can't be world #1 without talent !!!!

The claim that Kvitova is "more talented" than Wozniacki does not, of course, by any means imply that Wozniacki is "without talent". :wavey: :wavey:

quote unquote
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:19 PM
everytime i watch Kvitova i less convinced by her hype

but Wozniacki, if they could restrain her father, just maybe

Zamboni
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:22 PM
This thread is the perfect bait for the Woz haters :lol:
This.