PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't the Wizard of Woz play any grass lead-ins?

Langers
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Seems like a strange move, I wonder whether it will backfire.

I know grass isn't her best surface, but isn't that all the more reason to give yourself a couple of matches practice?

dsanders06
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Winning the Wozniacki Open against major Wimbledon threats Safarova and Kerber was much better preparation.

Adrian.
Another useless thread :facepalm:

goldenlox
Caroline was in England practicing all week.

Papillon.
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Another useless thread :facepalm:

Absolutely. You should begin another one talking about how rubbish the grass season is and how fame and glory await in $25k Istanbul instead.

Inger67
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:59 PM
So she gets crap for playing too many warm ups and then gets crap for not playing enough now? Will this girl ever get a break?

dsanders06
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:01 PM
So she gets crap for playing too many warm ups and then gets crap for not playing enough now? Will this girl ever get a break?

It's not so much the NUMBER of tournaments she plays, it's WHICH tournaments she plays. Playing an indoor hardcourt tournament instead of a grasscourt event in a two-week gap between Slams is madness for the world #1, hometown event or not.

Adrian.
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Absolutely. You should begin another one talking about how rubbish the grass season is and how fame and glory await in $25k Istanbul instead.

Fail :facepalm:

terjw
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:06 PM
In answer to the OP. No way was she not going to play her home tournament. Next year - it's been moved to earlier in the clay season and an indoor clay tournament. It was just getting too much to play Eastbourne as well even for her.

Normally I'm not a fan of not playing any grass tournaments before Wimbledon. She has been practicing hard on grass in London this week.

The Reff
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:11 PM

:lol:

Seriously though, I think she would have played one if she wasn't stuck with CPH Open. The experience from RG told her that she too could play too many Tourneys before a GS, so she and her team have chosen to stick with the break thing.
Things beeing as they were, she worked on her game (net'n all) in CPH on HC and trains on grass this week.

Roookie
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:13 PM
player's forum

WozTakesAll
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Caro didnt play grass because she wanted to try using the same approach as the williams sisters did earlier. They played hardcourt before wimbledon and only trained a bit on grass... and they won. Also Caro considers grass one of her favorite surface, she has won Eastbourne before and junior wimbledon and feels confident on grass leading up to Wimbledon.

The Reff
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:19 PM
But isn't her hometown !!!

She is from Monaco

Pretty sure that "hometowns" don't change because you choose to live somewhere else. But you're right in one respect: CPH Open is her "home" tournament. Her hometown would be Odense I think.

The Reff
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Caro didnt play grass because she wanted to try using the same approach as the williams sisters did earlier. They played hardcourt before wimbledon and only trained a bit on grass... and they won. Also Caro considers grass one of her favorite surface, she has won Eastbourne before and junior wimbledon and feels confident on grass leading up to Wimbledon.

This is true in some respect, but I higly suspect that they would not have chosen this approach if there had been no CPH Open (I have read the article you found the info in - I just don't think it tells the whole truth).

Matt01
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
It's not so much the NUMBER of tournaments she plays, it's WHICH tournaments she plays. Playing an indoor hardcourt tournament instead of a grasscourt event in a two-week gap between Slams is madness for the world #1, hometown event or not.

It's mostly the number of tourneys she plays. And besides, she has a week off between Copenhagen and Wimbledon. And playing on indoor HC is better than playing something on clay because at least then the pace is similar.

terjw
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM
This is true in some respect, but I higly suspect that they would not have chosen this approach if there had been no CPH Open (I have read the article you found the info in - I just don't think it tells the whole truth).

Yes. The CPH Open definitely gave team Caro no option really but to take this approach. It therefore was very sensible to look into the way the Williams sisters had prepared. It's also very inportant for Caro and her team to believe that the approach taken is a very good one and better than the one she'd probably have chosen with a free hand.and to commit to it 100%..

For Caro or her team to say - Oh this is a 2nd best - we had to do it like this because of CPH would be wrong and really negative. Once you have committed to an approach - you think positive and believe that it is the best.

Having said that - I think next year she'll play Eastbourne or some grass lead-in tournament.

sluggahjells
Jun 18th, 2011, 07:00 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Your hate for Caroline sure is obsessive.

(And yes, try to mention that other player in a rebuttal, but it will be silly, because I already told you I don't hate anyone :lol:)

sluggahjells
Jun 18th, 2011, 07:01 PM
It's mostly the number of tourneys she plays. And besides, she has a week off between Copenhagen and Wimbledon. And playing on indoor HC is better than playing something on clay because at least then the pace is similar.

Post of the thread.........Thread over.

Papillon.
Jun 18th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Fail :facepalm:

Wow. How humiliating for me.

Elwin.
Jun 18th, 2011, 07:27 PM

:haha:

GoofyDuck
Jun 18th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Because I didn't wanna see her face she decided not to play.

Marlene
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:54 PM
:lol:

Seriously though, I think she would have played one if she wasn't stuck with CPH Open. The experience from RG told her that she too could play too many Tourneys before a GS, so she and her team have chosen to stick with the break thing.
Things beeing as they were, she worked on her game (net'n all) in CPH on HC and trains on grass this week.

If Copenhagen Open had been Anywere-but-Denmark Open, she probably would have played a grass court tournament instead. But, she didn't really have a choice. Kudos to her for her level of commitment.

As for the other issue - transitioning from clay to grass via hardcourt - I actually don't think this is the stupidest thing ever. She got a lot of matchplay on a surface which is somewhat grass-like, at least more than it's clay-like. And maybe those "easy" wins work just as well for her preparation as some hard-fought matches on grass?

goldenlox
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Do you have to play a grass prep?
Sharapova pulled out of Birmingham & didnt play Eastbourne.
Kim got hurt playing a grass prep instead of training into Wimbledon.
Venus & Serena won Wimbledon for years without a grass match before it.

There is no set way to do things. Its not like Caroline is flying in on Monday. She's practicing on grass all week.

Shepster
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Because she was always going to play her home tournament, and it's not as if playing Eastbourne has done her any favours in the past :shrug:

JN
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:20 AM
To give her fans a built-in excuse for when she loses early.

young_gunner913
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:51 AM
She knows she's not going to win Wimbledon, so why bother. It's like when she played Brussels right before RG after playing a full clay schedule. Her father wants the cash and she's his prize pig.

Potato
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:58 AM
She HAS to play Copenhagen or else her home tournament will completely fail. If she didn't show up, the stands would be completely empty (and they were when she wasn't playing).

I don't see THAT big of a deal not playing the grass warm-up, obviously I think that if Copenhagen WASN'T a tournament made for her she wouldn't have played it at all. Obviously the logical thing would've been to play Birmingham, (why are people comparing her to Williams, she is no natural grass courter) but she has to play Copenhagen. I completely understand why she did. :shrug:

And she does have a week of practice right now, hopefully the lack of match play on grass won't hurt her during Wimbly for her sake.

eck
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Her scheduling is a huge mess.

She played Brussels before RG, and many thought it would be the perfect warm-up.

Now she's doing the complete opposite. Playing a hardcourt tournament 1 week before. And skipping the grass season prior to Wimbledon.

DefyingGravity
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Considering that the indoor facilities for the AEC when it's raining are a fast indoor court, I think CPH (a fast indoor court) did wonders for her. She could adjust to a fast pace without some god-awful bounces and stingy net-cords.

moby
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Caro didnt play grass because she wanted to try using the same approach as the williams sisters did earlier. They played hardcourt before wimbledon and only trained a bit on grass... and they won. Hingis used to do that too. She says that playing too much on grass makes you lose your timing off the ground because of all the bad bounces.

WozTakesAll
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Do you have to play a grass prep?
Sharapova pulled out of Birmingham & didnt play Eastbourne.
Kim got hurt playing a grass prep instead of training into Wimbledon.
Venus & Serena won Wimbledon for years without a grass match before it.

There is no set way to do things. Its not like Caroline is flying in on Monday. She's practicing on grass all week.

I think its a great change for Caro. If you dont win slams, try a new approach. If you keep doing the same, you only get the same results.

sluggahjells
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Considering that the indoor facilities for the AEC when it's raining are a fast indoor court, I think CPH (a fast indoor court) did wonders for her. She could adjust to a fast pace without some god-awful bounces and stingy net-cords.

Exactly.....no one is saying this like a smart post that you have here.

Lord Choc Ice
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM
She was too busy with Copenhagen slam to worry about a MM tournament like Wimbledon. :shrug:

Bronx19
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Because its a GrandSlam and she knows she has no business?

Better to win at home against some scrubs with your hair and make up did.

King Halep
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:36 AM
She had advertising commitments a 220k challenger her home tournament

King Halep
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:42 AM
In answer to the OP. No way was she not going to play her home tournament. Next year - it's been moved to earlier in the clay season and an indoor clay tournament. It was just getting too much to play Eastbourne as well even for her.

Normally I'm not a fan of not playing any grass tournaments before Wimbledon. She has been practicing hard on grass in London this week.

I think the main issue here is she did not expect to get one and a half weeks rest during the French. The extra rest might do a lot of good for her though.

eck
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I think its a great change for Caro. If you dont win slams, try a new approach. If you keep doing the same, you only get the same results.

You mean...have a same game plan?

Chrissie-fan
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM
It's mostly the number of tourneys she plays.
Maybe it isn't a problem yet, but much as I love Caro, I expect a mental burn-out or serious physical problems if she keeps playing so many tournaments. She obviously loves to compete, and I'm not saying that she should only play half (or whatever) of the tournaments she usually plays, but if she doesn't lighten up her schedule at least to some degree I fear that we're talking about a girl who will turn out to have a short career. :sad:

Matt01
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Maybe it isn't a problem yet, but much as I love Caro, I expect a mental burn-out or serious physical problems if she keeps playing so many tournaments. She obviously loves to compete, and I'm not saying that she should only play half (or whatever) of the tournaments she usually plays, but if she doesn't lighten up her schedule at least to some degree I fear that we're talking about a girl who will turn out to have a short career. :sad:

Yeah, that could happen, sadly. She needs to adjust her schedule quickly.

goldenlox
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
She lost round 3 FO.
So if she loses early again this next major, there is a reason to re-evaluate.
But she seems healthy and ready, so lets see what happens.

Morning Morgan
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Well Copenhagen is a bit of a head-scratcher, but I think not playing a warmup is not such a bad move. It's one thing if she spent the week practising on hardcourts in Denmark, but she's practising on actual Wimbledon courts. Plus the fact she didn't play a warmup gave her a slightly lower profile going into Wimbledon, which I think is good for her.

tejmeglekvár
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM
basically Daddy Woz screwed this up with the Sunshine Copenhagen Open, couldn't buy other time slot in the calendar to her little princess. And playing both week between slams is just not the brightest idea either.

Woz Invitational moves april next year, i'm 100% sure she'll play one grass warm-up.

Kipling
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Because she's a blonde.

0rNfZxgkH7k

Burisleif
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Because she's a blonde.

That's the fifth time you have said words to this effect. :rolleyes:

dsanders06
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:10 PM

This. I don't think she needs to RADICALLY cut her schedule... she's obviously a player who needs to play a lot of matches to get a rhythm (hence why she always starts the season so slowly)... in fact, I'd say that the first 4 months of this year, her schedule was pretty much fine (maybe she should've cut out Charleston). But it's the little tournaments she keeps adding here and there that's the problem. For instance, killing herself playing Brussels days before RG was completely nonsensical, especially as that was a Slam I think she actually had a decent chance of winning (no-one else had had a better claycourt season). She also needs to take a break from the game as often as she can - most notably the chance to take a few weeks off after Wimbledon - which means skipping Bastad. I understand she wants to be loyal to tournaments that gave her big chances when she was on the rise, but she needs to start being more ruthless.

LoLex
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Her father said this time she will try to rest a little bit before Grand Slam and they will see if that makes a difference. And she had to play in Copenhagen because of the commitments she has made.

toxina90
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM
She was too busy with Copenhagen slam to worry about a MM tournament like Wimbledon. :shrug:

:spit:

quote unquote
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:48 PM
i listen to Caroline Wozniacki in interview and i believe her when she said, shes not bothered by not winning a slam

i dont see it done anybody any good practice on grass, it didnt do any good on clay, so why grass?

grass today is just like a hard court but green instead of blue

JN
Jun 20th, 2011, 04:10 AM
i listen to Caroline Wozniacki in interview and i believe her when she said, shes not bothered by not winning a slam

i dont see it done anybody any good practice on grass, it didnt do any good on clay, so why grass?

grass today is just like a hard court but green instead of blue

Wow! What a champion she is. :rolleyes:

Boxuan
Jun 20th, 2011, 07:57 AM

When you were just a senator, you were Mr. Young Hope, but now you're the POTUS, you become Mr. No Good. C'est la vie! The intensive attention and harsh questioning on Wozniacki is just part of the game that every No.1 has to play. If she can handle it well, and find a way to enhance herself, she could be a much greater player than she's now.

Moveyourfeet
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Caro seems like the real deal to me. I think it's a shame that she is number 1 already because she isn't quite there yet in her game but she is already bearing the burden of expectation.
So far, she looks like she is handling the massive amounts of criticism she gets, and I hope she continues to do so. It would be a shame for her to fall down a la Ajde! and Sanowa.

bandabou
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Her playing Copenhagen is understandable..she's the flagbearer of Danish tennis, so no biggie. Besides she ISN'T winning Wimbledon anyways, soo...:shrug:

JN
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:20 PM
When you were just a senator, you were Mr. Young Hope, but now you're the POTUS, you become Mr. No Good. C'est la vie! The intensive attention and harsh questioning on Wozniacki is just part of the game that every No.1 has to play. If she can handle it well, and find a way to enhance herself, she could be a much greater player than she's now.

If Chris Evert wasn't enough, now Wozniacki's being compared to President Obama? Huh??? :confused: I can truthfully say I've seen and heard it all, now. :rolleyes:

Kipling
Jun 27th, 2011, 05:31 PM
That's the fifth time you have said words to this effect. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but, ya gotta admit, all that hardcourt prep was really effective....

Burisleif
Jun 27th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Yeah, but, ya gotta admit, all that hardcourt prep was really effective....

I honestly don't think prep was a factor today...

However, you're comment was not about prep, it was yet another bitching session against people with blond hair. Just put "I hate blondes" in your signature and save your self the effort posting it.