PDA

View Full Version : Eastbourne F: Marion Bartoli def. Petra Kvitova 61 46 75

Shiffrin
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Marion :bowdown:

Petra :tears: You were playing so bad in first set :o
Horrible match at first, but good at the end :)

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Marion :hearts:
Petra :spit:

33/1 at the beginning of the week, what ridiculous odds for a 4-time semifinalist here.

Jane Lane
Did no one tell these two that Wimbledon starts in less than 2 days? :haha:

Petra flat out sucked in the 1st, quality was good for the rest of it though.

Six Feet Under
Yessss!!!! Such a fighter!
Just amazing!! :tears:

After saving MP in the first round, and fighting of the injury :sobbing:

Im so happy! :sobbing:

Serenita
Petra :hug:

Pasta-Na
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:16 PM
big white rabbit :bounce:

petra :hug:

ElusiveChanteuse
Poor Petra, ruined by the wind especially when it mattered.:hug: On to Wimbledon anyway.
Grats to Cake who actually played solid especially under strong wind, just like she did against Sam.:worship:

Inger67
So annoying.

Tweety Snape
Allez Marion! Good job! :yeah:
:sad: Rest up for Wimbledon, Petra. :hearts:

P. S. Thank Vika for this :lol:

eck
Petra :lol:
God that was kinda bad from Petra.
Marion adapted to the condition the best, so she deserved it. :cheer:

Djezonfly
I was so scared when Marion injured herself but it doesn't seem too bad.

Congrats Marion :inlove:

young_gunner913
Wimbledon Final >>> Wimbledon SF :worship:

Petra was absolutely disgusting the first set and a half then she got going then she turned back into a turd. Congrats Marion!! Well deserved!! :worship::yeah:

jasonbloom
Lucie, you should win Marion in the first round:o

M.P
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:17 PM
PEtra :sobbing:

BartoLiNa
Woohoo! She looked exhausted at the end, but she played an intelligent match. and coped with the conditions much better than Petra.

Now win Wimbledon :drive:

C. Drone
in this windstorm this was NID. no biggie.

Ballbasher
Congrats Marion. :)
Petra is a very fair loser. :yeah: Love to watch her game, although it was bad in Set 1!

melodynelson
Win/win final for me, but I would have preferred Kvitova to win. She was so close, 5-5 in the third and had GP, but Marion hit a netcord winner. It happens.

Little disappointing, but Marion has gone longer without a title and has been a consistent performer at Eastbourne for years now, I'm happy for her.

Now hopefully Kvitova can raise her game a notch and defend her Wimbledon points.

Bronx19
That match was an epic display of the fragility of the female brain.

backhandsmash
:worship::worship::worship:

Vika works her magic again!

misty1
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:18 PM
and the trend continues

who ever azarenka loses to wins the title

DeliriousPotato
Gateau :hi5:

Petra... Less barking, more forehand consistancy please :explode:

burn
Marion :eek: :bounce:
Congrats CAKE!
On her way to the top 5 :hearts:

Marionated
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:19 PM
HUGE luck with the net cord at 5-5. Happy with the win. I wish Marion had been able to play more enjoyable tennis, but that's what the wind does.

Petra :hug: Great fight back after being seemingly down and out.

L'Enfant Sauvage
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Fucking GOATra :fiery: Why didn't you just tank a few matches ago and get your rest? This is a lose/lose situation.

MalJackson
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:20 PM
weather conditions were crazy, you could hear cow bells going off in farms around the court all the time, the ball was getting stuck and spun in the middle of the air.

just crazy, could of gone either way to be honest.

was very close, two very good players on grass.

Chim
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Marion:woohoo::woohoo:

Petra:hug:

Iceland
Marion played smart, but like Ronoc, I wish we saw more of her Wimbledon 2007 form! Never mind, it's great to have her winning a big title again :D
She didn't look that happy though ^^.

toxina90
Petra's final losses this year have just been :o

Brad[le]y.
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Marion :cheer:

Does she go up in the rankings now? :unsure:

goldenlox
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Good match, reminded me of Aga-Nadia a few years ago.
The players want these Premier titles

Madoka
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:23 PM
i like them both, sad one of them had to loose...

BartoLiNa
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Amazing Bartoli! :worship:
Nice timeout!
taking her gamemanship to a new level.

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2ups7iw.jpg

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:24 PM
:lol:
Every time I watch Petra I can't help but laugh that people attack Ana for her Ajde's but Petra's barks are deemed okay. :lol:

Well done Marion, even though you depended on Petra's errors.

Root
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Petra's final losses this year have just been :o

She's won all the finals she's been to this year minus this one. :confused:

Craig.
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Well done Marion :yeah:

Antoshka
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:26 PM
:help:

Blu€
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Marion :clap2::bigclap: Great win! I hope you do well in Wimbledon ;)

Root
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:27 PM
in this windstorm this was NID. no biggie.

It was NID once Azarenka retired.

Six Feet Under
Marion :cheer:

Does she go up in the rankings now? :unsure:

No, she stays at No. 9.
The top 10 have alot of points atm.
She does crack 4000 points for the first time though :D

Lighter
Marion played smart, but like Ronoc, I wish we saw more of her Wimbledon 2007 form! Never mind, it's great to have her winning a big title again :D
She didn't look that happy though ^^.We just heard Marion to say to dad that it was painful. She probably fears something wrong when it's cold.

Soliloque
Congrats Marion :bounce:

Now rest well and kick some butts in SW.

Petra barking is quickly becoming the most annoying thing on WTA.

Gilas.
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM
The boons of Vika's retirement continues :hearts: Please retire against Maria again Vika! :bowdown:

DownInAHole
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Full credit to both players for giving the maximum effort just before Wimbledon. There was some suggestion after the first set that Petra was tanking the match. If so she really needs to learn the meaning of the word "tank."

Jorn
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Marion :)

First Title since 2009 Stanford...

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Great job Marion :D

young_gunner913
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
The boons of Vika's retirement continues :hearts: Please retire against Maria again Vika! :bowdown:

I don't think you can retire at the Nike Exhibitions...

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Full credit to both players for giving the maximum effort just before Wimbledon. There was some suggestion after the first set that Petra was tanking the match. If so she really needs to learn the meaning of the word "tank."
Yeah, this was not by any stretch of the imagination a tank, she was just playing atrociously with no compromise or adjustment to the conditions. No coincidence she played better in both sets 2 and 3 after receiving the on-court coaching. At the end there's no doubt she was choking (you serve 4 DFs in the match to that point then throw in 3 in one game to get broken? :help:), but certainly not tanking - never got that vibe at any stage.

dsanders06
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Well played Bartoli! So good to see her becoming more professional in the last year or so and largely stopping this retirement nonsense, and has grown up and started to play through the pain of minor injuries - and as today showed, even if you're not 100% physically, you can still hang in there long enough for the win if you're mentally tough, rather than having hissy fits, staring down linejudges and throwing in the towel. :worship: Take notes, Retirenka.

I thought it was a pretty good quality final. :shrug: Today was the first time Kvitova's really impressed me with her game. I see Bartoli potentially making the semis at Wimbledon (taking out Serena en route)... but, then again, I've predicted her to do well at Wimbledon the last two years and she underperformed both times.

rnwerner
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Another tournament winner with a tight first round (saving match point).

BARTOLi played very solid in quarters, semis and final.
Great to see that she can win two matches at one day.

She has still some potential to level up her game and her serve.
The wind was a huge factor in this match, Kvitova played very bad for the first 10 games and then started to hit with less pace and more balls were placed inside the line.

Bartoli is consistent, has a very good attitude, is fit (probably in the form of her career), she plays hard and aggresive tennis but without too much risk and she can win against pusher and ballbashers both.
She will be very dangerous for Wimbledon.
The 4th round match-up between Serena and Bartoli will be great...

Coconut91
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Poor Petra, ruined by the wind especially when it mattered.:hug: On to Wimbledon anyway.
Grats to Cake who actually played solid especially under strong wind, just like she did against Sam.:worship:

This.
Big congrats to Marion, she was very solid and handled the wind pretty well. That was the key of the match. Petra just struggled with it as a first strike player. Anyway, I'm glad she pulled a miraculous come back and was able to play some great tennis under such conditions.

Wimbledon looking good for both I think :)

Matej
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Well, I am a bit dissappointed, since from 1:3 in the second set, Petra was certainly the better player -- until 3:3 in the third set (she had a break point on Bartoli´s serve at 2:1 and another two break points (40:15) at 3:2). Then she had one really bad service game at 3:3 when she basically gifted the game to Bartoli (three doublefaults and one UE). Then she played excellently once again to get back into the match at 4:5 when Bartoli was serving for the match. She had a game point on her serve at 5:5 and Bartoli hit a lucky net cord. I think Petra should have really won the third set ... but oh well, I guess it was the Azarenka curse.;)

However, Bartoli was very consistent and played well throughout the whole match, so she deserved the win in the end.

It´s a pity the conditions were so bad and windy, it could have been even a better match. The last two sets were quite enjoybale, though.

terjw
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Really pleased for Marion. Her 1st this year isn't it? And after SF here for soo many years. Well deserved and was the best player in the tournament at coping with the wind. I thought when Petra came back strong though that Marion had lost it. Especially after the problem with her leg at 1-1 in the 3rd set. But she won a tight match in the end.

Petra losing her serve with 3dfs in the 3rd set I was very surprised at, Handed the initiative back and was when I thought Marion would actually win it. Although there were still a couple more twists with Marion not able to serve out for the match the first time.

The most annoying thing for me was the commentry and what we could see on EU was out of sync and we got a comment before it had actually happened. Chris Bradnam saying "made it" when Petra had barely hit the ball. First time I naively thought "wow how can he know that from the way she hit the ball". Just found that very annoying when a few seconds later I realised it was out of sync.

dsanders06
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:51 PM
The most annoying thing for me was the commentry and what we could see on EU was out of sync and we got a comment before it had actually happened. Chris Bradnam saying "made it" when Petra had barely hit the ball. First time I naively thought "wow how can he know that from the way she hit the ball". Just found that very annoying when a few seconds later I realised it was out of sync.

Yeah, I know what you mean, at first I was really impressed because I thought he had such good instincts that he could tell it was going to be a winner just from the sound of the shot coming off the racquet... then I realised that he was a few seconds ahead. :lol: It did kind of feel like a spoiler in a way :lol: ... I don't know why, I just like to appreciate the actual shot in its glory, and I feel like I can't do that in the same way if I already know it's going to be a winner.

Chakvenus
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:52 PM
so thrilled for her! Title number 6 :hearts:
It's about time she broke through here! :lol:
Now rest up for Wimbly!

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Chris Bradnam saying "made it" when Petra had barely hit the ball. First time I naively thought "wow how can he know that from the way she hit the ball". Just found that very annoying when a few seconds later I realised it was out of sync.
It wasn't cool, but it's less annoying than him going on about the "fashion" whenever the likes of Lisicki or Goerges play. You know his patented "great dress" is clearly a synonym for "I'd tap that" :tape:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:54 PM

I had this for RG when for the late stages my commentators where commentating live from Paris and obviously we were delayed for like a second. And before the ball even passed the net, I knew whether it was a winner or not :rolleyes: It's very annoying like you said.

bandabou
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hmmm...nice for Marion. Vika shaky still. Kinda expected better form from her this tourney

Shinjiro
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:04 PM
The boons of Vika's retirement continues :hearts: Please retire against Maria again Vika! :bowdown:She truly is the goddess of victory! :worship:

cn ireland
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Congrats Marion:bounce:

She played really well today:)!!

Hard luck Petra:hug:

Ferg
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:41 PM
OH THANK FUCK. She deserves this so so much for her so far, and I was really worried when she lost the 2nd, I was inconsolable. Title #6 :hearts: One of the best fighters on tour, her second time winning a premier having faced MP in an earlier round. :sobbing: Rest up quickly dear!!

Break My Rapture
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
The blessing of Retirenka. :worship:

hurricanejeanne
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Very impressive week from Marion. It'll be interesting to see how these two recover for Wimbledon though.

The Blessing of Victoria still working. :angel:

BartoliBabes
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:49 PM
WD Marion:worship: title #6:hearts:

now onto SW19:devil:

Skeptikal
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:52 PM

Mistress of Evil
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Kvitova rarely do grunt but when she does make that horrifying/disgusting sound, its unbearable :hysteric: it does not come close to any shriek to the level of annoyance, it brings :tape: Congratz, Cake :yeah:

The blessing of Retirenka. :worship:

Amen :bowdown:

Raiden
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Petra

33/1 at the beginning of the week, what ridiculous odds for a 4-time semifinalist here.Similar to the same idiots underestimating Li Na in French Open (sespite her rather good clay court season run).

Corswandt
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:33 PM
The rest of the Kvitty stans will probably disagree with me, but I actually prefer this outcome to the sorry ass tank job this seemed to be on the fast track to become early in the second set.

Gâteau did nothing but hit high % CC rally shots all match - but didn't miss a single one, and it worked much better in these conditions that KvittyGOAT's ME NO RALLY approach.

Good rally shots are precisely what KvittyGOAT doesn't have - she either goes for broke or just backs off and loops her shots in (particularly the FH) - so she couldn't expect to outrally Gâteau, and the outcome of this depended entirely on her ability to somehow find the proper timing on her kill shots, even if only in patches. She did so for about a set, long enough to set up a spectactular remontada, but then her serve went away, and with it her FH, and then everything. But even when she's playing this shite, you know that there will be some :drool: shotmaking here and there to keep you entertained. She's always fun to watch - "O público divertiu-se", as Quinito would say.

Bottom line KvittyGOAT's performance today and the way the wind completely messed up her game prompts the question of how did she make it this far in the first place, as (thanks to Eastbourne's retarded scheduling) this was all we got to see of her this week.

Matej
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM
The rest of the Kvitty stans will probably disagree with me, but I actually prefer this outcome to the sorry ass tank job this seemed to be on the fast track to become early in the second set.

Gâteau did nothing but hit high % CC rally shots all match - but didn't miss a single one, and it worked much better in these conditions that KvittyGOAT's ME NO RALLY approach.

Good rally shots are precisely what KvittyGOAT doesn't have - she either goes for broke or just backs off and loops her shots in (particularly the FH) - so she couldn't expect to outrally Gâteau, and the outcome of this depended entirely on her ability to somehow find the proper timing on her kill shots, even if only in patches. She did so for about a set, long enough to set up a spectactular remontada, but then her serve went away, and with it her FH, and then everything. But even when she's playing this shite, you know that there will be some :drool: shotmaking here and there to keep you entertained. She's always fun to watch - "O público divertiu-se", as Quinito would say.

Bottom line KvittyGOAT's performance today and the way the wind completely messed up her game prompts the question of how did she make it this far in the first place, as (thanks to Eastbourne's retarded scheduling) this was all we got to see of her this week.

Why on earth would we disagree with you? I, for one, do not want to see any tank jobs by Petra whatsoever. :) And her playing well is always preferable to her playing badly (like she did in the first set apart from the first three games, when she actually had three break points in the first two Bartoli´s service games).

Well, the first set against Radwanska was probably roughly the same story as the first set against Bartoli. Plus the wind in the final today was even worse than in the semifinal and certainly much, much worse than in the quarterfinal.

homogenius
Jun 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I leave when Marion was up 6-1 2-0 or something but I watched most of the third and Marion was just stronger mentally and played smarter (not going for broke on every shot like Kvitova).She did well to save some bp in several games and even when kvitova broke back at 5-3, Marion did a good job to hang in there and force Kvitova to play one more shot until the error came.
Marion is having a good year and she can still do a lot of damages during the hc season.She could be top5 by the end of th eyear :eek: :bowdown:

GoofyDuck
Jun 18th, 2011, 07:13 PM
What bothers me is Bartoli.

In the strasbourg final she retired a few days before RG because obviously she wants to make sure she can play RG after injuring herself.

Now she injures herself and plays until 7-5 in the 3rd set.
Obviously it was nothing because otherwise she would of had retired, knowing that her strasbourg injury wasn't bad either as she made it to the SF at RG.

Makes me think that her timeout was fake. :shrug:

still she handled the conditions very well and was the best player today in both her matches :yeah:

(sorry I just can't make a clear point in english :p)

Marionated
Jun 18th, 2011, 07:23 PM

In the strasbourg final she retired a few days before RG because obviously she wants to make sure she can play RG after injuring herself.

Obviously it was nothing because otherwise she would of had retired, knowing that her strasbourg injury wasn't bad either as she made it to the SF at RG.

still she handled the conditions very well and was the best player today in both her matches :yeah:

(sorry I just can't make a clear point in english :p)

The replay showed her grimacing in pain after she returned the serve.

It didn't have any effect on the match anyway. Petra continued to hold serve until 3-3, where she played that horrible game, and had several break points in Marion's first two service games after the timeout. She hit errors on 2 of them IIRC. Petra lost this match- because of Petra basically- her errors, double faults and inability to consistently handle the conditions.

Marionated
Jun 18th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I actually thought she was going to retire, but I guess it wouldn't be great for her to retire in two consecutive finals. In hindsight, I think she could have finished the Strasbourg final. Only she knows for sure though.

But you can play through injury and win anyway as long as it's not too serious. Many have before.

sCoTt.ChE.
Jun 18th, 2011, 07:36 PM
This almost feels like justice for all the losses in the SF and her excellent year so far. A title here is all the better considering she was on the verge of losing to Lucie first round. I hope this transcends into a great Wimbledon for her. :hearts:

Petra will undoubtedly be difficult to stop at Wimbledon though, unless she has an off day.

Bartoli's Boy
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Maybe not the best match, but it's wonderful to see Marion win a title here, on grass. :) She is really loved in Britain (and Ireland!) since reaching the Wimbledon final, as you can see from all the positive comments from people living on these isles. :inlove:

Mary Cherry.
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Best Eastbourne final in the past couple of years...well it was as soon as Petra showed up in the 2nd set. A gazillion double faults cost her in the end though :facepalm:

Very happy for Marion though :bowdown:

Broseghini
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Marion :inlove: You deserved this :p

Finally one title :banana:

KapitalL
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:24 PM

Against Petkovic she was a set down, on clay, I guess she felt like her chances weren't great, today it was 3rd set on grass against a very streaky player who can hit her self off the court...

If you check her results in pre-Slam tournaments over the years there's a lot to see:lol:

A bunch of retirements, a bunch of, well if not tanks, then matches where she just put very little effort in winning...

Anyways great win today, didn't think she'll make it after losing that 2nd set

Mary Cherry.
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Also, great atmosphere in Devonshire Park for the match today :cheer:

Ntosake
Jun 18th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Congrats Marion, well played tournament!

Linguae^
Jun 18th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Phew, all the fuss about Eastbourne and Williams sister back, and after all, some random Bartoli takes the crown. :facepalm:

jonny84
Jun 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Congrats to Marion.......nice to see her pick up a grass court tournament win

Tuckii
Jun 18th, 2011, 10:51 PM
amazing stuff Marion :cheer:

HuHu
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Nice speech from Petra :o

lvnbRWUZQF4

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:09 PM
:awww: @ Dr Walter taking pics, and we really need to play this speech saying the British are the best fans in the world at Roland Garros next year :devil:

Andy.
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I'm really happy for Marion. Although she isnt one of my favs I have always had a soft spot for her and really admire the amount of work she puts in. I also like the fact that she doesnt care whether people like her or not she is out there to do her job, which is to win (similar to Maria).

claypova
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Happy for Marion :inlove:

RobinT83
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Seriously, what a joke this final! :facepalm:
Probably the worst final of the year: the wind, the players (two brainless ballbashers especially Kvitova), Bartoli (ugly service motion, ugly game, ambiguous behaviour (fake timeout), and the way she moves her racket between the points, one day, she will probably sent her in the line's umpire face, lol).
Hopefully, both will lose early at Wimbledon to save tennis.

Soliloque
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Probably the worst final of the year: the wind, the players (two brainless ballbashers especially Kvitova), Bartoli (ugly service motion, ugly game, ambiguous behaviour (fake timeout), and the way she moves her racket between the points, one day, she will probably sent her in the line's umpire face, lol).

Tell us more hater. We've plenty of time for your shit.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_laoidoAK6k1qe0eclo1_r3_500.gif

Root
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:50 PM

Kvitova is anything but a brainless ballbasher and the timeout wasn't faked. She was clearly in pain. Tennis is not going to be "saved" with both ladies crashing out early, quite the opposite actually. :wavey:

Coconut91
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:54 PM

Somebody's not gonna like Wimbledon this year :hug:

18majors
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Credit to Bartoli, not expected.

Srodgers
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:13 AM
6th WTA Singles Title for Marion :cheer:

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1061073&width=628&height=471

earthcrystal
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:35 AM

40 posts, just joined. Stirrer. "nuff said.

This was a tough day for these women and I thought they handled it with aplomb. I am very happy for Marion to grab another title, and her first on grass after so many semis...awesome.

There's a lot to like about Petra as well. I think she's Top 5 by the end of the year, easy. Perhaps higher.

new-york
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:51 AM

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1061073&width=628&height=471

Allez. :worship:

spartanfan
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Good win for Bartoli.

Sund7101
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:55 AM
A well deserved title. She really handled the wind well and deserved to win. I agree with those that said the match was not fun to watch, but imagine playing in those conditions. Yikes.

young_gunner913
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Kvitova is anything but a brainless ballbasher and the timeout wasn't faked. She was clearly in pain. Tennis is not going to be "saved" with both ladies crashing out early, quite the opposite actually. :wavey:

Are you kidding? :spit: Rewatch the first 11 games of the match. Brainless ballbashing at it's finest!! :happy: Petra is a hot and cold player with her shot making and when she wasn't making her shots, she didn't change anything at all and that cost her the opening set and ultimitely, the match. That's about as brainless as you can get.

Root
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Are you kidding? :spit: Rewatch the first 11 games of the match. Brainless ballbashing at it's finest!! :happy: Petra is a hot and cold player with her shot making and when she wasn't making her shots, she didn't change anything at all and that cost her the opening set and ultimitely, the match. That's about as brainless as you can get.

Watch the second and third sets. She took a while to adapt to the windy conditions and it cost her the opening set. Marion was better at dealing with it but when Petra got it sorted, the pressure was on Marion when Petra levelled the set and went on to win the second. What cost Petra the match wasn't really the first set but few hideous games from her in the third, especially that game with 3 DFs. Not to mention the lucky shot at 40-30 from Marion which hit the net.

longtin23
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Wow Marion :)

Pops Maellard
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:26 AM

She actually looks rather pretty there.

young_gunner913
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Watch the second and third sets. She took a while to adapt to the windy conditions and it cost her the opening set. Marion was better at dealing with it but when Petra got it sorted, the pressure was on Marion when Petra levelled the set and went on to win the second. What cost Petra the match wasn't really the first set but few hideous games from her in the third, especially that game with 3 DFs. Not to mention the lucky shot at 40-30 from Marion which hit the net.

She started finding her range somewhat but also it was quite a bit of help from Marion who was hitting some nice sitters for Petra to pound away at. Who knows how this match could've turned out had Petra not defined the term "brainless ballbasher" in the first set and a half. She had quite a few break points in the third set on Marion's service game to seize advantage of but she didn't because she thinks pounding the ball as hard as possible is going to win her the point. There was a great rally when she started mixing up shots, taking the pace off some of her strokes and waiting for the right time to strike and golly gee, it worked! Then she just went back to bash bash bash and lost.

longtin23
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Actually, I started to love Bartoli except her service motion...

tsmile789
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Big thanks to Vika

Beat
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Actually, I started to love Bartoli except her service motion...

is it just me or did it used to be more extreme? i think she toned down the extra moves a bit.

this year has been shaping up really nicely for bartoli. hopefully both players will have a good wimbledon.

Ferg
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:46 PM
is it just me or did it used to be more extreme? i think she toned down the extra moves a bit.

this year has been shaping up really nicely for bartoli. hopefully both players will have a good wimbledon.

She definitly toned it down a lot. It was way different in 09 and 10, now its not too excessive and its working for her, shes serving great these days.

quote unquote
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:50 PM
well done Marion what a great trier