PDA

View Full Version : 's-Hertogenbosch F: Roberta Vinci def. Jelena Dokic 6-7(7), 6-3, 7-5

Papillon.
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Rain delay fucked up Jelena's momentum bigtime midway through the second set.

Serve absolutely crumbled at the latter stages of the third set; got broken at *4-4 with two double faults, somehow broke back for *5-5, got broken AGAIN with two double faults, went down triple match point, hit THREE consecutive return winners to get back to deuce... and then lost it as quickly as she got back into it.

Really hurts but gotta put these things into perspective. Well done to Vinci on a great week and congratulations to Jelena for breaking the Top 50 for the first time since October 2004. She deserves it.

Good luck against Schiavone, girl. Get some rest, and maybe lose that jelly belly...

Kəv.
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Dang :(

young_gunner913
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Forza Roberta!!! :worship:

The savior of the WTA for the week. Stopping Dokic from fluking yet another MM title. Congrats, well deserved. :worship:

claypova
jelene you mthrfcker :o that was your title :facepalm:

Mashabator
Oh well, an AMAZING week for Jelena, title wouldve made it alot better but im happy she got some wins :) such a good week.
She played bad when she needed to play good wasting so many MP's.

Shaun:::
Jelly:smash:
played awful:o

G&R
Roby :worship:

nevetssllim
Roby. :D :) She's having a fine spell after a dodgy start on the hard-courts.

SVK
Yes, YES, YESSSSSSS:hearts::aparty::inlove::woohoo:

Shame that I couldn´t watch it :sad:

Roberta now has titles from grass, clay and indoor hard in past 52 weeks:yeah:

Turnip
fault! :help:

Mashabator

The savior of the WTA for the week. Stopping Dokic from fluking yet another MM title. Congrats, well deserved. :worship:

:weirdo:

Madoka
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
:hearts:

Just Do It

You had to wait for 7 days to post in JD thread :lol:

Really disappointed, this was Jelena's title to lose, all those chances wasted ... too bad. Vinci was too consistent, cut the errors completely.

Marionated
Another title for Roby :hearts:

Jelena was fearless on the first three match points and then missed two pretty makeable returns. Still it was a good tournament for her.

Antoshka
Jelena :awww:

BlueTrees
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Jelena was goddamn useless. Couldn't get a ball in play at the end. :o

SM
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM
good tournament for jelena.

congrats roberta.

BartoLiNa
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Vinci played great. She's won a title on every surface now.

SVK
Someone post a pic with trophy if available please:hearts:

FORZA SARITA
so proud of you Roby :yeah: finally she won a title on grass where her game is just perfect :hearts:
2nd title of the year and now keep it up this form in Wimbledon :drool:

Darop.
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I should be happy and sad, but I'm more sad than happy :sobbing:
Probably because the 3rd set was so horrible to watch :weirdo:

Graf~Dokic
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Jelena :sad: :hug: The serve was totally off at the end of the match. Good week though. Onto Wimbledon now.

Darop.
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM
By the way, who did Jelena lift her middle finger to after breaking for 5-5? :o

Andy.
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I'm sad for Jelena but its really nice to see there is still a place for serve and volley in the womens game. I hope both girls have a great Wimbledon.

Graf~Dokic

"Fluke another title"? :rolleyes: :weirdo: You don't know the word fluke then, it seems.

leon charles
jelena :hug: : (

this would have been a completely different second half without that rain delay

Ballbasher
Jelena. :hug: Get that serve in gear and you will be fine for Wimbledon. :)

Mightymirza
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Jelena wtf happened in last 2 3 games? :lol: Completely fell apart on the serve

Mistress of Evil
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:33 PM
eww :hysteric: Dokic :facepalm: but hey nobody expected her to reach the final so good on her :yeah:
Vinci, winning both clay and grass titles in one season :worship:

Papillon.
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Jelena was goddamn useless. Couldn't get a ball in play at the end. :o

So true. :sad: It was really frustrating. She was dealing with Vinci's low balls and slices so well, but at one point she got two bad bounces on consecutive points and then didn't seem to know what the hell to do.

She stopped using the drop shot, too... I was loving the drop shot play off of the Vinci backhand slice.

Ah, well. I think it's wonderful enough that she was able to maintain such a high level of play throughout one week; I can forgive her for fading in one match even though it was the most important one. Still upset now but there are more important things to worry about. I came into this week expecting her entirely to get trashed by Kudryavtseva and go to Wimbledon with zero confidence, but once again, just like in Kuala Lumpur, Jelena made it to the last match when I completely expected her to lose the first.

I'm not optimistic about her chances against Schiavone. I just hope she does her best and doesn't have another Strycova/Dushevina Slam Errorfest.

jrm
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:35 PM
:woohoo:

but not because Vinci, more happy that creepy lost :yeah:

Papillon.
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM
:woohoo:

but not because Vinci, more happy that creepy lost :yeah:

WOW!!!! :bounce: :woohoo: :yeah: Cool! :eek: :worship:

I love Italy
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Queen Roby, the best player on grass court :worship:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:53 PM
The better player on grass won.:shrug: Grats.

Viktymise
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:56 PM

Some people have odd definitions of a "fluke" on this forum. I'm sure you're on of the people who praised Schiavone to the high heavens for her "inspirational" RG title run.

propi
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Olé Roberta :cheer::cheer:
3rd title in 52 weeks :worship: let's hope for a top 20 spot and a good Wimbledon :cheer:

leon charles
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:59 PM

:facepalm:

Graf~Dokic
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:02 PM

:lol: :rolls:

SVK
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:05 PM
What is so funny about that?:unsure: Vinci´s game is perfectly suited for grass with slices, perfect net game and serve-volleying...

-NAJ-
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Noooooooooooo:sad:

cn ireland
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hard luck Jelena:sad:

Still a great week for though;)!

young_gunner913
Some people have odd definitions of a "fluke" on this forum. I'm sure you're on of the people who praised Schiavone to the high heavens for her "inspirational" RG title run.

She puts one semi-decent week together every few months then goes back to being shit. That's a fluke. :lol: And Fran won RG then made the finals the next year to defend her title, that's hardly a fluke. 13 matches in a row at the same tournament, Dokic could never dream of 13 matches in a row, her cottage cheese filled arteries would give out.

TheHangover
:lol: :rolls:
that wimbledon semi was in 1998, a looooong time ago

Andy.
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:14 PM
2000 actually. She also made the quarters in 1999.

MalJackson
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:16 PM
i really dont know how jelly lost this?

she was the better player in all 3 sets, hit more winners.

her serve fell apart late in the 3rd for some reason, handed the title to a lucky vinci

*Jean*
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Jelena :sad:

Gilas.
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM
:hearts:

Adrian.
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Dokic fans :bigwave::facepalm:

Bashing everyone who doesn't like the hype about her great girl..:oh:

Matt :hearts::inlove:

Roberta :bowdown::cheer:

TheHangover
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:35 PM
2000 actually. She also made the quarters in 1999.

:o...well, always a long time ago

Papillon.
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Matt :hearts::inlove:

Roberta :bowdown::cheer:

:unsure:

How do the sane people on this forum put up with it... :sobbing:

FORZA SARITA
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
i really dont know how jelly lost this?

she was the better player in all 3 sets, hit more winners.

her serve fell apart late in the 3rd for some reason, handed the title to a lucky vinci

just :spit:

Graf~Dokic
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:49 PM

I don't bash people who have a different opinion. I respect it when there are people who wanted Vinci to win because they like her, so congrats to them and enjoy Vinci's win. :) But I can't stand things like "I'm just happy Dokic lost" + some insults towards her and stupid things like that.

Graf~Dokic
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Actually the SF was in 2000. ;) Plus the QF in 1999. And it doesn't really matter how many years it has been since, because these results show what she's capable of on grass.

Aaron.
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM
She puts one semi-decent week together every few months then goes back to being shit. That's a fluke. :lol: And Fran won RG then made the finals the next year to defend her title, that's hardly a fluke. 13 matches in a row at the same tournament, Dokic could never dream of 13 matches in a row, her cottage cheese filled arteries would give out. No you didn't :hysteric:

Uranium
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:41 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aSmecfgn17SV/x610.jpg

Good job, Roberta.

Jelena:( Good try this week, better luck next time. Roberta was overdue for her first grass court title.

jrm
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Seen Roberta playing at RG and her face looks 40+ :shrug:

BlueTrees
Jun 18th, 2011, 03:23 PM

How's Domachowska doing in that $25,000? :awww:

Mixal
Jun 18th, 2011, 03:36 PM
How's Domachowska doing in that $25,000? :awww:

:spit:

It started as a really nice match, but it all went downhill from there. Dokic isn't fit enough ATM, serve was off, well, basically everything as the match progressed. Vinci was ok. Hopefully both will have a good run at Wimbledon!

GoofyDuck
Jun 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Really happy for Roberta :cheer:

burn
Jun 18th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Congrats Robbie :yeah:
Jelena :crying2:

Papillon.
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:42 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aSmecfgn17SV/x610.jpg

Good job, Roberta.

Jelena:( Good try this week, better luck next time. Roberta was overdue for her first grass court title.

Oh my gosh that is just darling!!!! :lol: Would have loved for it to have been Jelena but OMG!!! Roberta :hug:

Sammo
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Good luck in Wimbledon miss Dokic

PLP
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Jelena looks really good, too bad she lost, but great win for Roberta!
Thoroughly enjoyable match.

PLP
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Actually the SF was in 2000. ;) Plus the QF in 1999. And it doesn't really matter how many years it has been since, because these results show what she's capable of on grass.

I know,I was thinking about that Hingis match from 1999 last night and how it doesn't seem like that long ago...11 years. :eek:

Jelena is obviously doing some really positive work right now, hope she has a good Wimbledon!

martinafan
Jun 18th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Great match from both girls! :bounce:

Was truly a top notch grass game - they are both so well suited to grass.

congrats to Roberta - it is nice to see someone with an all court game still doing well.

Jelena. :sad: Was looking like a second title, but then had a brain fart at the end. Roberta stayed a bit stronger mentally, whereas Jelena lost her serve which was quite reliable earlier on.

Still, a great week for Jelena. A second WTA final of 2011 - who would have thought that at the start of the year?!?!?!?!?! And top 50!!! :inlove:

Good Luck against Francesca, Jelena! :hearts:

MS
Jun 18th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Congrats Roberta!

RobinT83
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Variety on grass VS Brainless Ballbashing all the time on grass.
Who has won?
Variety...
So, good for the game.
Vinci :yeah:

Pops Maellard
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Jelena. :o She's not exactly strong mentally is she?

Srodgers
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Congrats Roberta :cheer:

5tatRacket
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Damn! I only saw the first set. I was pretty confident she was going to win after that.

RobinT83
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:17 AM

This.

Temperenka
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Great result! Roberta :banana:

iGOAT
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Jelly :bigcry::sobbing: this was her match to win - she was clearly in control before the rain delay and bar the collapse in the third would have had her.

Roby :yeah: very good week and very deserved first grass court title. Like Schiavone, she is peaking late in her career :).

I'm really sad for Jelena, but her week (and year :p) was far better than I expected, and a final is a very good result! I just hope she can keep this confidence with her for the upcoming Wimbledon and summer International events, because more finals are certainly possible :).

SM
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Jelly :bigcry::sobbing: this was her match to win - she was clearly in control before the rain delay and bar the collapse in the third would have had her.

Roby :yeah: very good week and very deserved first grass court title. Like Schiavone, she is peaking late in her career :).

I'm really sad for Jelena, but her week (and year :p) was far better than I expected, and a final is a very good result! I just hope she can keep this confidence with her for the upcoming Wimbledon and summer International events, because more finals are certainly possible :).
I would not say she was in control, the match was pretty much even, she won that set in a tie-break......Jelena's level dropped at the end, but i wouldnt blame the rain delay, someone's level had to drop at the end

great week for both girls, i hope they both have nice runs at Wimbledon

Havok
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:27 AM
The title was within her reach but Dokic faltered at 4-3*, 30-40 in the final set with a piss poor backhand return error. Then her serve fell apart and that was the end of it. Anyone else noticed in the final set that any backhand Jeca hit where she had to move a millimeter ended up either as an unforced error or extremely weak reply? Hoping that bandage on her thigh doesn't turn into an injury!:erm:

Nevertheless grats to Vinci who has a nice game for grass and is refreshing to see variety which, in turn, forced Dokic to add variety into her gameplay with dropshots, slices and net approaches. Was only able to catch the last set but it was very enertaining safe for the collapse from Dokic towards the business end of the match.:(

So Disrespectful
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:53 AM
While it's disappointing that Jelena couldn't get over the finish line, I feel that this was otherwise the perfect preparation for Wimbledon. She got her footing on grass, didn't drop one set against quality players on her way to the final, improved her match fitness, and to cap it all off had a really tough match against someone who has a great game for the surface.

Schiavone is a totally different player at the grand slams, so Jelena will need to be on top of her game if she hopes to make it a tight contest. The surface certainly favours Jelena, but Schiavone will do her best to break up her rhythm and draw her into long rallies.

Anyway, very nice for Vinci to take her second title of the year! I don't know what her draw is like next week, but she could definitely do some damage.

AnomyBC
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Argh! So frustrating! We came so close to Domi winning her first title, and then so close to Dokic winning, but then all we wind up with is Vinci :sad:

Petkorazzi
Jun 19th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Argh! So frustrating! We came so close to Domi winning her first title, and then so close to Dokic winning, but then all we wind up with is Vinci :sad:
OMG an ugly player won both tournaments this week :ignore::ignore::ignore::ignore: WHAT A TERRIBLE WEEK.

McHenri84
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM
What is ugly about Vinci and Bartoli?

BartoliBabes
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:05 AM
both played crap imo:tape:

jelena:sad:

Madoka
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:15 AM
What is ugly about Vinci and Bartoli?

he was ironic...

TheHangover
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:35 AM
OMG an ugly player won both tournaments this week :ignore::ignore::ignore::ignore: WHAT A TERRIBLE WEEK.

Can't understand why some people find relief in insulting other players when their fave lose, but if this make you feel better...

SVK
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:49 AM
And some people obviously didn´t get his point...

BlueTrees
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:50 AM
To be fair read his signature. ;)

SVK
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I don´t believe he would make such stupid comment even if he is a Dokic fan, hopefully...He is not the one who is trolling that much usually.

Boreas
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Gigi was VERY OBVIOUSLY joking. People here:facepalm:

Beat
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:30 PM
vinci is certainly one of the players who wish the grass season was longer ;) congrats!

FORZA SARITA
Jun 19th, 2011, 01:47 PM
To be fair read his signature. ;)

you should watch the sign of the poster he quoted :rolleyes:

Petkorazzi
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:01 PM
:facepalm: :facepalm: I even got a badrep. :o

I was being fully sarcastic. :rolleyes:

Corswandt
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:10 PM
The first time I saw Vinci play (on slow hardcourt back in 2006), she S&Ved on every 1st serve and in several 2nd serves, and often chipped and charged on ROS and after short rallies. She was my favourite midranked player back then.

She no longer plays a classic grasscourt game nowadays, but is still comfortable in ultrafast surfaces, even though she's in constant danger of being blown clean off the court by the bigger hitters.

The first set was top notch, with Dokic playing solid controlled aggression and Vinci mostly counterpunching, both showing they know very well what works and what doesn't on grass. Dropshot masterclass from both. But then Dokic stopped moving her feet, and only her serve kept the match somewhat tight, its quality decreasing steadily until Dokic's final meltdown late in the third.

Just Do It
Jun 19th, 2011, 02:31 PM

No, Gigi, I don't think he was thinking that. It's just that Dokic is Dokic and Vinci is Vinci :shrug: Kinda hard to explain :sobbing: