PDA

View Full Version : Seriously. Was the Tour Championships draw rigged?

veryborednow
Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:21 PM
I'm no Monica nor Lindsay fan, so no bias here, but don't you just find it all a bit convenient for the organisers OCTAGON.

(1) to have one huge IMG name knock another one outin the first round?
(2) have a big draw on the first day which is guarenteed to make the news....
Dokic, who's/was suing them doesn't have THAT wonderful a draw either....

1 - S.Williams USA IMG Vs. A.Smashnova ISR ?
A.Myskina RUS ? Vs. 8 - J.Dokic YUG ?

3 - J.Capriati USA IMG Vs. S.Farina Elia ITA ?
M.Maleeva BUL? Vs. 7 - D.Hantuchova SVK ?

5 - K.Clijsters BEL none Vs. C.Rubin USA Octagon
E.Dementieva RUS ? Vs. 4- J.Henin BEL ?

6 - M.Seles USA IMG Vs. L.Davenport USA IMG
P.Schnider SUI ? Vs. 2 - V.Williams USA IMG

From CNNSI Keep in mind that the event offers mega prize money, so tickets aren't cheap. The Williams sisters could sell out arenas, but are thousands of fans going to pony up $60 to watch Anastasia Myskina play Patty Schnyder on a Tuesday afternoon?

..... I'm looking for a conspiracy ;)

matthias
Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:53 PM
:confused:

i canīt follow you :confused:

i think your name is right, it seems you are bored ;)

Dawn Marie
Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:55 PM
Of course draws are rigged.. lmao:)

Politics and money are the underylining fact of sports, including tennis.

TeeRexx
Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:56 PM
I think this is just one person bitching about Monica playing Lindsay in the first round, that's all. :)

Dawn Marie
Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:57 PM
Excuse me I lost it a bit.. Why of course the draws aren't rigged!! Do you really think mere human beings would allow that to happen? It was just the LUCK of the draw, and that's really all it ever is.. LUCK.:)

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:01 PM
From CNNSI Keep in mind that the event offers mega prize money, so tickets aren't cheap. The Williams sisters could sell out arenas, but are thousands of fans going to pony up $60 to watch Anastasia Myskina play Patty Schnyder on a Tuesday afternoon?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course no one is gonna pay $60 to watch Myskina and Schnyder playing a warmup match on a Tuesday afternoon.
The Championships begin on Wednesday ;)

gentenaire
Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:29 PM
Yeah, isn't it strange how none of the top 8 are facing eachother in the first round? ;)

KingA
Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Tine
Yeah, isn't it strange how none of the top 8 are facing eachother in the first round? ;)

Hello? That should be the way in a tournament any way.... Have you seen any other tourneys where the #1-#4 facing #5-#8 in the first round??? :rolleyes:

niratti
Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:38 PM
i don't think so :)

veryborednow
Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:59 PM
Tine, don't pick on me :p

I was being serious. I'm happy with Dawn Marie's first answer. I can cope with that.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 4th, 2002, 02:12 AM
oh brother, at a couple of the replies in here.

Rom - of course there is a conpiracy, of course there is.. ;)

tennisIlove09
Nov 4th, 2002, 02:19 AM
How dare they put The sisters on the opposite sides of the draw!! IT'S RIGGED! :rolleyes:

Dawn Marie
Nov 4th, 2002, 02:44 AM
It is rigged, but I am happy with the end results. Draws that are rigged don't always have to be a negative factor for the tennis fan.:)

Fingon
Nov 4th, 2002, 03:13 AM
paraphrasing ys...

the diharrea of word on this thread seems unstoppable:rolleyes:

Dawn Marie
Nov 4th, 2002, 03:18 AM
Then get out of this thread, or come back with a diaper on. lol

I can't help but think instead of you making it appear that you're making a crack, that it's really a mind that is CRACKING.

CC
Nov 4th, 2002, 03:26 AM
What are you trying to say VBN? Since OCTAGON sponsors the event and they are rivals of IMG, they would want to get rid of the IMG players early? We could delve into the conpsiracy theory further if we knew which management companies represent the other players. Anyone care to do the dirty work? :p

Mark43
Nov 4th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Rom (via CNNsi), I think you are on to something!

Fingon
Nov 4th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
Then get out of this thread, or come back with a diaper on. lol

I can't help but think instead of you making it appear that you're making a crack, that it's really a mind that is CRACKING.

translation please:rolleyes:

BasicTennis
Nov 4th, 2002, 04:38 AM
LMAO@Fingon, that's a rigged statement from Dawn.:D

CJ07
Nov 4th, 2002, 04:39 AM
No, that format is common, its exactly like the UsOpen draw

veryborednow
Nov 4th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
Draws that are rigged don't always have to be a negative factor for the tennis fan.:)

I agree :)

Philip
Nov 4th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by KingA

Hello? That should be the way in a tournament any way.... Have you seen any other tourneys where the #1-#4 facing #5-#8 in the first round??? :rolleyes:

(I think) He was joking ;)

The Crow
Nov 4th, 2002, 03:00 PM
So Dawn, when it's a bad draw for your favs, the draw is rigged? And when it's a good draw for your favs it's rigged too?? :confused:

Philip
Nov 4th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Oh all of you be quiet.

lol ;)

gentenaire
Nov 4th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Philip

(I think) He was joking ;)

I was, hence the ;);););)

(I'm a she, BTW) :)

Philip
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:35 PM
woops lol, sorry about that chuck :)

M2k
Nov 4th, 2002, 05:52 PM
I would hope not... but I won't say no because it would be stupid to say that Tennis is 100% free of corruption.

Devon
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Rigged?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only person capable of causing a bit of a headache to Serena is Jennifer in the Quarterfinals. And looking at Jen's performance on all her indoors matches in Europe, does Serena have anything to worry about? O.K> she is on T.V. and McDonalds and bla, bla, bla...but has she lost in a couple of months the skills and power that so successfully have landed her in the top of the rankings? Ah, I don't think so.

It looks to me like the organizers want to avoid another Williams collision in the finals. But they are doing it the diplomatic way, they put all the tough cookies on Venus' way, hoping she'll fall to someone, this way only Serena will make it to the finals. And why? Because Serena is after all the star of the WTA tour (who is in sitcoms, magazines, videos, commercials), and they want to make sure she makes it to the finals for T.V rankings and ticket sales purposes.

Although in my opinion Venus' only concern is Kim or Chanda, so most likely they will end up with another Williams final.

Rigged? Naah

Helen Lawson
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:06 PM
I thought Octagon was having some huge fight with Jelena. Octagon would have nailed her with Lindsay in the first round if it was rigged, and we all know that Jelena is the darling of draw-rigging. The WTA had a hand it in too, teaching Patty a lesson after the Mickey Mouse/Michael Jackson remark on the Gold Exempt Wildcard fiasco.

veryborednow
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Devon, wasn't talking about the Williams at all...

But Jay exposed Octagon, wouldn't be too clever to have her against Lindsay again It's been done ;)

mboyle
Nov 4th, 2002, 09:53 PM
It will be a Serena Kim final. (Serena will win, but Kim will give her a SERIOUS scare and make it an awesome match. Afterwards Kim will be a big star in the US as well as Europe, and will replace Amelie as the one to contend with the big girls)

Dawn Marie
Nov 5th, 2002, 05:38 AM
The Crow.. YES:)

Like somebody else stated, I will not go around thinking that tennis is 100% free of corruption, you all can go around sleeping in your rose colored glasses but not I.:)

BasicTennis
Nov 5th, 2002, 05:41 AM
It would only seem rigged if their respective favorites are in a worst draw.:)

lurker
Nov 5th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Yes, it's rigged;)...Serena will no doubt breeze to the finals.

The drama is on the bottom half...potential Belgian clash...can Chanda continue her success...Lindsay vs. Monica first round...can Schnyder continue her upset special...will Venus and Lindsay clash...could Kim and Lindsay have a rematch of last year's semi...it goes on and on.

Dawn Marie
Nov 5th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Fingon, You're CRACKING me UP . Nevermind it was actually a funny quote, but you didn't get it. Sorry, maybe I should have explained my post a little better. :)

Nov 5th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by mboyle
It will be a Serena Kim final. (Serena will win, but Kim will give her a SERIOUS scare and make it an awesome match. Afterwards Kim will be a big star in the US as well as Europe, and will replace Amelie as the one to contend with the big girls)
Kim will then go on to win the Australian Open (which she probably would have done this year if she wasn't playing with an injury)

Nov 5th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by veryborednow
Devon, wasn't talking about the Williams at all...

But Jay exposed Octagon, wouldn't be too clever to have her against Lindsay again It's been done ;)
They should have put her against Serena :p

Hardiansf
Nov 5th, 2002, 06:40 AM
It's weird. Why they put seeded #5 and #6 in the same half? I still believe that this is not fair...