PDA

View Full Version : Who would have the edge in a Wills - Lenglen rivalry?

rimon
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Who do you think?

austinrunner
Jun 18th, 2011, 03:11 AM
How could we possibly predict that?

Sam L
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Assuming a rivalry were to have started after Cannes in 1926, I would confidently say that Wills would've dominated the majority of matches played thereafter. Seeing as she was a 20-year-old on the rise with good health. Whereas Lenglen had her health problems and was 6 years older.

justineheninfan
Jun 20th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Both in their primes I would say Lenglen. Their peers who played against both mostly said they felt Lenglen was the better player. Her scores of victory look more dominating, she seems more unchallengable, and the overall womens field was really weak the whole pre World War 11 period anyway. If the rivalry continued after 1926 perhaps Wills since she would be at her best the next 6-7 years while Lenglen would be slowing down probably. Which is probably why Lenglen retired after that year along with health problems and the financial opportunities she had.

tennisvideos
Jun 20th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I will take the word of the players of the day ... Elizabeth Ryan (and I also think the great Kitty McKane) said the Suzanne Lenglen was the greatest player she ever saw or played with or against.

Teddy Tinling of course idolised the woman and I get the impression he thought she was the best (at least prior to Connolly).

That is good enough for me.

Rollo
Jun 20th, 2011, 01:01 PM
In a series of matches played in a variety of settings I would give the edge to Wills. As it stands we have their one glorious match at Cannes.

laschutz
Jun 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
tough call, just my little ole thoughts:

i believe if wills had won that second 8-6 set against lenglen wills could and probably? would have won the 3rd set and the match since lenglen was on the verge of collapsing never having to be in the best aerobic shape since her matches ended in what 30 minutes to 45 minutes or so, and wills then and throughout her career had great endurance... so i can see wills winning in 3, unless lenglen started hitting winners and drop shot winners all over the place to rush to victory and to win that 3rd set?

while i take stock in what their fellow players said to in regard to who was better and there is some truth in that if you look at their records and scores against fellow competitors, usually lenglen for instance would be the same opponent let's say 6-1, 6-1, wills would beat the same opponent 6-2, 6-2, for example..... anyway though i don't think we can totally take the how should i say word or belief that their fellow opponents played because we all know that sometimes....

different people play against different people worse or better depending on how their styles match up and the mentality and brain when 2 players face off against each other....

so it's hard to say how different these styles would have fared and the mentality and how their brains worked against each other if their rivalry had been more than one match....

if the rivalry started from 1926 i would think as the years went on and on, wills would have the edge only because she would be reaching her prime as a player and a woman, while lenglen was already at or even a bit past her peak in 1926, plus she was 6 years older than wills...

and of course, she also have to contemplate how they would far against each other on the different surfaces too?

tennisvideos
Jun 21st, 2011, 12:39 PM
tough call, just my little ole thoughts:

i believe if wills had won that second 8-6 set against lenglen wills could and probably? would have won the 3rd set and the match since lenglen was on the verge of collapsing never having to be in the best aerobic shape since her matches ended in what 30 minutes to 45 minutes or so, and wills then and throughout her career had great endurance... so i can see wills winning in 3, unless lenglen started hitting winners and drop shot winners all over the place to rush to victory and to win that 3rd set?

while i take stock in what their fellow players said to in regard to who was better and there is some truth in that if you look at their records and scores against fellow competitors, usually lenglen for instance would be the same opponent let's say 6-1, 6-1, wills would beat the same opponent 6-2, 6-2, for example..... anyway though i don't think we can totally take the how should i say word or belief that their fellow opponents played because we all know that sometimes....

different people play against different people worse or better depending on how their styles match up and the mentality and brain when 2 players face off against each other....

so it's hard to say how different these styles would have fared and the mentality and how their brains worked against each other if their rivalry had been more than one match....

if the rivalry started from 1926 i would think as the years went on and on, wills would have the edge only because she would be reaching her prime as a player and a woman, while lenglen was already at or even a bit past her peak in 1926, plus she was 6 years older than wills...

and of course, she also have to contemplate how they would far against each other on the different surfaces too?

Good points. Although when you take a players word on who was greater, you imagine they formed their opinions from not only playing against the players in question, but also based on watching them compete against others and their records. At least I would trust that would be the case.

I also think Wills would eventually gain the ascendency in their H2H clashes based on their ages etc. But if you were to take them both at their peak - which I also imagine that's what McKane, Ryan and Tinling did, then I will choose Lenglen also.