eck
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:04 AM
:o OK.

Leo St
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:13 AM
the only draw that is worst is akgul amanmuradova's

sam.jones
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:14 AM
she will be fine....JJ could be tough...but her form...She will pass her and won't lose a set from there...Vera is too easy...sorry

shoryuken
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:24 AM
meh let's have her play her first round first :shrug:

Leo St
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:25 AM
she will be fine....JJ could be tough...but her form...She will pass her and won't lose a set from there...Vera is too easy...sorry

go sam jones.. hope youre right

rimon
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:27 AM

I wouldn't be too sure. JJ is a bad match up for Venus.

KBlade
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Venus seems to play better when she has tougher draws. Last year we all expected her to cake walk past Zvonereva and Pironkova into the final and we all know what happened there :scared:

Besides, Jankovic is a non-entity on grass. Jankovic is a lot slower than she was in 2006 when she beat Venus, so the advantage of her defensive ability on grass is negated. Venus would have to throw in an absolute shit-fest to lose a set to her.

Leo St
Jun 18th, 2011, 03:58 AM
i dont buy this "is not good on grass/clay" anymore.. that statement always bites on the ass

zxcVbnm88
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:32 AM
I hope her knees hold up

justineheninfan
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:57 AM
She has a great draw. Na, Sharapova, and Serena in the other half. The biggest threat in her half is probably Kvitova who she couldnt play until the semis. Zvonareva is a good opponent for Venus on a faster court. Really an excellent draw to be honest.

Jankovic is well past making any kind of mark on grass. Her win over Venus in 06 was kind of flukish considering Jankovic couldnt ever even beat Myskina at Wimbledon (0-2 or 0-3 I believe). And that was when she was at her best which she is far from now. 06 was the worst year of the Williams on tour as well. Not sure why anyone is worried about that one, even for a rusty Venus.

it-girl
Jun 18th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I think the people in her draw are worried about her too & I can give you 5 reasons why:

1. 2000
2. 2001
3. 2005
4. 2007
5. 2008

Mistress of Evil
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Lin Lin strikes again :sobbing:

frenchie
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:32 AM
She has a great draw. Na, Sharapova, and Serena in the other half. The biggest threat in her half is probably Kvitova who she couldnt play until the semis. Zvonareva is a good opponent for Venus on a faster court. Really an excellent draw to be honest.

Jankovic is well past making any kind of mark on grass. Her win over Venus in 06 was kind of flukish considering Jankovic couldnt ever even beat Myskina at Wimbledon (0-2 or 0-3 I believe). And that was when she was at her best which she is far from now. 06 was the worst year of the Williams on tour as well. Not sure why anyone is worried about that one, even for a rusty Venus.

Because we all know Myskina is a bye on grass....:rolleyes:

Inger67
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:44 AM

She would play her in the Quarters. And Zvonareva won't be a walkover.

J4m3ka
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I think Venus vs Kvitova can potentially be a great match if both are playing well. It will be a defining old v new generation match, reminiscent of Steffi vs Venus in 99. Hope both make it.

Anyway, I think her draw could have been much worse. Na, Masha & Serena are 3 of the biggest tittle contenders and she avoids all of them until the final.

HippityHop
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Well, we all know that Venus is capable of playing like she owns the world or playing like some mug that just picked up a racket last week.

sluggahjells
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Venus seems to play better when she has tougher draws. Last year we all expected her to cake walk past Zvonereva and Pironkova into the final and we all know what happened there :scared:

Besides, Jankovic is a non-entity on grass. Jankovic is a lot slower than she was in 2006 when she beat Venus, so the advantage of her defensive ability on grass is negated. Venus would have to throw in an absolute shit-fest to lose a set to her.

A lot slower?

Jankovic still plays the same defense she plays in 2011, and still the same foot speed clearly.

It's just that the tour got stronger in terms of depth, and the pressure of her winning at the top was too much for her "backboard first" game.

toxina90
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:55 PM
A lot slower?

Jankovic still plays the same defense she plays in 2011, and still the same foot speed clearly.

It's just that the tour got stronger in terms of depth, and the pressure of her winning at the top was too much for her "backboard first" game.

I agree with this and the only time Jankovic was at her best in 2006 was a few matches at US Open :shrug:

Linguae^
Jun 18th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I think Jelenas has a big chance, but we'll see. They are such a tough match-ups for each other, now and here. :p

Helen Lawson
Jun 18th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Her draw is not relevant, if she's playing well, it won't matter, if she's not it won't matter. These matches are in her hands.

Inger67
Jun 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Her draw is not relevant, if she's playing well, it won't matter, if she's not it won't matter. These matches are in her hands.

Well you just sucked the fun out of this discussion :lol:

swim4life227
Jun 18th, 2011, 03:50 PM
JJ's win over Venus on grass is overrated. Everyone knows that is Venus' (and Serena's) worst year professionally by a long shot. The rest of the tour really caught a fucking break not having to really deal with an in form Williams that year.

VishaalMaria
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:08 PM
The only thing worrying at this moment is her movement. She hasn't moved well at all in her three matches. It seems like she's really reluctant to move at all. I'm hoping that will improve. Even Serena moved much better.

LoveFifteen
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:10 PM

This.

If Venus plays at her best, she is very tough to beat. If she's a mess, then anyone can beat her.

I hope Venus plays well. She's a Wimbledon legend and makes things interesting.

friendsita
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah, hope she can do well with JJ...

oomph
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM
A lot slower?

Yes, because pushing requires a lot of mental toughness. :lol:

Tennisstar86
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I didnt see her draw any more difficult than anyone elses...... Except that quarter she'd meet in the semi's is a joke. The other three are equally competitive I think.

new-york
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Jelena is the worst match up on tour for Venus.

If Venus moves like she did in Eastbourne she's toast.

Step up, Queen. :worship:

vwfan
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Venus' movement was bad even in her match against Ana. It's just her serve was clicking and shorten the points.

Her movement on grass is one of the things that has made her the best grasscourt player of her generation. . .without it. . .well she's gotta serve like Serena on steroids.

Lin Lin
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Go,Venus:bounce:

KBlade
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:25 AM
A lot slower?

I agree with this and the only time Jankovic was at her best in 2006 was a few matches at US Open :shrug:

Are you serious?

If you even watch Jelena at the 06' and 08 US' Opens', and even the Australian Open 08' her defence was absolutely outstanding. She managed to get everything back some-how those days.

These days, she just seems in my honest opinion to be slower. Her defensive ability just doesn't seem spectacular anymore, she never slides, and there are a lot of matches where she basically gets out-hit by players whom she should match up quite well with ie, Peng.

Jankovic might play a great defensive point every so often these days, but she used to play them all the time back from 06' to 08'. Once again, just my opinion...

Tech1
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Beat'em down, Venus!

Pops Maellard
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Are you serious?

If you even watch Jelena at the 06' and 08 US' Opens', and even the Australian Open 08' her defence was absolutely outstanding. She managed to get everything back some-how those days.

These days, she just seems in my honest opinion to be slower. Her defensive ability just doesn't seem spectacular anymore, she never slides, and there are a lot of matches where she basically gets out-hit by players whom she should match up quite well with ie, Peng.

Jankovic might play a great defensive point every so often these days, but she used to play them all the time back from 06' to 08'. Once again, just my opinion...
This. How can anyone think Jelena hasn't lost speed? :facepalm:

Daniel
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:15 AM
If Venus is lucky to reach the 3R, where Jankovic will take her out, otherwise Vera will be happy to get rid of Venus :)

quote unquote
Jun 19th, 2011, 05:32 PM
im not

Venus has loads more money than i ever have

18majors
Jun 19th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Venus will beat almost everyone at Wimbledon as long as she doesn't beat herself.