PDA

View Full Version : Chance that the Williams sisters will retire if they lose the Wimby title?

chuvack
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Lets face it, victory on the big stage of Wimbledon (and the US Open) is pretty much the only thing the Williams sisters care about at this point. Serena literally didn't play any other tournaments all year, and Venus almost the same. As long as one of the sisters keeps winning Wimby (4 in a row, 9 of 11, and 4 additional finals losses to each other) it doesn't matter what they do the rest of the year, they'll still keep showing up at the AELTC for another shot. But once their Wimby streak is broken, my guess is that they are done with tennis. Nothing but winning Wimbledon motivates them. (maybe winning the French would motivate them as well, but they know they have almost no chance there any more).

DeliriousPotato
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Oh come on, do we have to have Williams retirement threads every single week? :rolleyes:

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:53 PM
They've been making threads like this since like 2004 and 2006.

LOL, don't jinx yourself and have them win at 40.

LightWarrior
Whatever happens at Wimbledon they're not retiring anytime soon. Please lock this idiotic thread.

AcesHigh
They didn't play because they were INJURED.
Your threads keep getting worse :(

Miss Amor
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Definitely a HUGE Chance! Serena went through all that to just retire after playing 2 tournaments.

Before Eastbourne she said ‘I’m not preparing for today or for Wimbledon, I’m preparing for the rest of my career'. For sure sounds like a person who would retire if she lost Wimbledon. And we know how Serena doesnt have any fighting spirit and quits when things go wrong.

SHE IS GOING TO RETIRE AFTER WIMBLEDON, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo :sad: :sad:

:weirdo:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:57 PM
They are also capable of winning the USO as well.:shrug:, even AO which Serena reigns supreme there.:shrug:
and if they're motivated to win Wimbledon, even losing once, they will sure be even more motivated to win it the next time.:shrug:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM
wasn't it broken in 2006? :lol:

p
r
e
s
s
e
d

http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=317668&t=o

jefrilibra
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Let's face it ... this thread sucks!

Bai!

bandabou
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:54 PM
:lol: :rolls:

Serenita
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:04 PM
This thread made me spill my coffee. :lol:

Chrissie-fan
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Well, they can't win it both. So maybe if Venus wins it Serena will retire, or vice versa. :drink:

dsanders06
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:11 PM
POSSIBLY Venus. I think she knows this is "shit or bust" time. She's not getting any younger, her mental strength is deteriating every year, and her body is starting to break down, hence the recent flood of injuries. She knows Wimbledon is her only shot at a Slam, and she also knows there's no guarantee she'll get another chance next year. I actually really get the sense she could've played RG, but she chose not to because she really wanted to go all-out for Wimbledon (hence why she looked so much sharper than Serena this week).

Serena's completely different though. I don't think she'll have the same sense of urgency. She's been pretty healthy physically for the last few years after finally starting to take her fitness seriously (obviously the foot injury was a freak injury, unlike Venus's injuries that were caused by gradual wear and tear), and I think she'll be confident she can keep going for a few years yet.

silverwhite
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble :wavey:

Q. If, after all you have been through, in three weeks' time you were to retain your Wimbledon title, where would that rank in terms of achievement in your career?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I'm not thinking that far ahead. I'm just taking it one day at a time and just one day at a time. I mean, I'm not preparing for today or Wimbledon. I'm preparing for, you know, the rest of my career.

Mrs. Peel
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:13 PM
How the hell do you know what they care about right now? Do you know them personally? Can you see into the future?

You must be in the running as court jester of Tennisforum. Are you a natural fool or a licensed fool?

Stamp Paid
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Zero

Juju Nostalgique
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:19 PM
And some people complain about my supposedly stupid threads... :rolleyes:

Ryusuke Tenma
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Hopefully, they will retire soon. The sport will be better without them :shrug:

open your eyes
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM
We shall see. Wouldn't be a good thing to pretend our wishful thinking has a lot of chance to actually happen. Serena will want to have a shot for the US Open anyways.

FORZA SARITA
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:21 PM

don't worry even if they retire Caro will stay slamless forever :hug:

open your eyes
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:22 PM
have we got you back from the future here? wow. do tell then, do tell who's gonna win those slams in the nearest years:)

Serenita
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:26 PM

:haha:

Ryusuke Tenma
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Who else is going to win slams? Pennetta?? Zvonareva?? Sharapova?? Georges??? :spit: Wozniacki will win tonnes of slams. You'll see :hug:

Novichok
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Really? How so? :lol:

shoryuken
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:30 PM
:yawn: wishful thinking huh

Henpova
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I am not even close to a Williams fan...and I know this thread is so stupid. They are Champs...Champs don't retire until they are ready...and then half the people that retire come back...so we should have some more time before that very happy day they ride of into the sunset....

Henpova
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Who else is going to win slams? Pennetta?? Zvonareva?? Sharapova?? Georges??? :spit: Wozniacki will win tonnes of slams. You'll see :hug:

:rolleyes:I wouldn't say tons...maybe three at the most...she is no where near Justine, Venus, Kim, Martina H, or Serena...
But saying Caro won't win a slam is also just wishful thinking....but who knows...she never win one...but she should

Chrissie-fan
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:43 PM
:lol: Well, if you would replace the word "sport" with "other players" maybe you have a point. ;)

Andy_POL
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:00 PM
They're not retiring before the 2012 Olympics. Thats for sure. The Games takes place at Wimbledon and you have to remember what Olympics means for Americans. Whatever happens this year, they are playing at least until August 2012.

Feyd
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Lets face it, victory on the big stage of Wimbledon (and the US Open) is pretty much the only thing the Williams sisters care about at this point. Serena literally didn't play any other tournaments all year, and Venus almost the same. As long as one of the sisters keeps winning Wimby (4 in a row, 9 of 11, and 4 additional finals losses to each other) it doesn't matter what they do the rest of the year, they'll still keep showing up at the AELTC for another shot. But once their Wimby streak is broken, my guess is that they are done with tennis. Nothing but winning Wimbledon motivates them. (maybe winning the French would motivate them as well, but they know they have almost no chance there any more).

Forget about Serena and Venus, when are you going to retire from the forum? That is the million dollar question.

manu32
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:07 PM
This thread is pathetic,agree with poster above: "when are you going to retire from the forum"...
The WTA is very happy to have the WS back and needs them and not Woz or russians ...

open your eyes
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:22 PM
This thread is pathetic,agree with poster above: "when are you going to retire from the forum"...
The WTA is very happy to have the WS back and needs them and not Woz or russians ...

Only if you consider yourself as the WTA. Because if you don't, this is only YOUR opinion.

Dominika23
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Wow lol

Shvedbarilescu
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:44 PM

One of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. First of all the Williams sisters are not a single entity. They are two individuals. If neither of these two individuals wins Wimbledon they will simply carry on and try to win their next tournament as will all the other players in the draw.

rechi
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Only one answer: NO WAY!!!

They mentioned a lot of times that they play until London 2012 for sure. So please don't start a Williams retirement thread every week...

Miracle Worker
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Venus and Serena will play at least until the Olympics Games. And if they stay healthy they will play in 2013 too.

Discussion is over.

Chrissie-fan
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Venus and Serena will play at least until the Olympics Games. And if they stay healthy they will play in 2013 too.

Discussion is over.
If she stays healthy I can easily imagine Serena playing for another three or four years.

Mistress of Evil
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Keep on dreamin' :kiss:

open your eyes
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:46 PM

Discussion is over.

Their spokesman spoke. End of discussion indeed. Wish you've said it earlier.

friendsita
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:47 PM
No chance, I think V will retire after the Olympic Games... maybe USO 2012.
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmycep2wBS1qcxh43o1_250.gif

Volcana
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I certainly can't see Venus retiring before the Wimbledon Olympics

it-girl
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Oh come on, do we have to have Williams retirement threads every single week? :rolleyes:This.

Whatever happens at Wimbledon they're not retiring anytime soon. Please lock this idiotic thread.This.

They didn't play because they were INJURED.
Your threads keep getting worse :(This

Let's face it ... this thread sucks!

Bai!And This.

Graftard
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:49 AM
They will retire when they won't be a factor in slams anymore.

With the current generation consisting of tennis titans like Ivanovic, Zvonareva and Stosur this will not happen soon.

HippityHop
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:53 PM
What kind of :bs: is this? Serena has been out for a year and Venus has been out for six months and you see what shape the tour is in. Let's postpone a sisters retirement for as long as possible. Even well into their 30s I suspect that they will will be needed given the crowd that's on the horizon. :o

BluSthil
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:11 PM
If Venus doesn't make a good showing at Wimbledon, she will most likely only play through next year, especially if she doesn't win any significant tournaments through 2012. Serena probably has two more years. Of course, if she should win Wimbledon and do well through next year, 3 more years are not out of the question.

matty
Jun 27th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I seriously doubt they worked months/a year to quit after a few tourneys :rolleyes:

:weirdo:[/QUOTE]