PDA

View Full Version : Worthless Wimbledon 2011 Seed Report

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_wertheim/06/17/wimbledon.womens.seed.report/index.html

Top 16 seeds

1. Caroline Wozniacki: For her sake, and for the sake of staving off the inevitable what's-up-with-the-WTA? critiques, you hope she gives a strong accounting of herself. Especially after her Paris debacle. Especially after she just played an indoor hard-court event in Copenhagen last week, fueling the charge that she racks up points at lesser events. Her defensive game and modest serve isn't ideal for grass. But looking at her draw, it's hard to envision her falling before the middle weekend. After that, who knows? A likely quarterfinal against Sharapova should tell us a lot.
2. Vera Zvonareva: First, big credit to Zvonareva for elevating her game over the last 18 months or so, emerging as one of the few players to have capitalized on the unrest at the top. A finalist last year, she beat Serena Williams at Eastbourne. On this alone, she's a short-lister. There's a difference between a tune-up and Wimbledon, though. And in a winner-take-all match, it's hard to tip her against a Williams.
3. Li Na: The French Open champion is not only riding a Grand Slam title but has had her share of success at Wimbledon. Hard to know how she's holding up -- her letdown after her success in Australia lasted several months. But if she keeps her head, forgets that 100 million people may be watching her matches, she has a real chance at a Summer Double. Her likely quarterfinal against Serena could double as the final.
4. Victoria Azarenka: Getting close to put-up-or-shut-up time. She oozes self-confidence, which is fine, especially given the legion of those who don't. But one of these days, she needs to back it up. Is she good, or is she great? Though she retired midmatch (again) at her last event, she has a real chance here.
5. Maria Sharapova: The only active WTA player to have won Wimbledon and doesn't have the last name of Williams. Yet that was -- gulp -- seven years ago. Sharapova still hits the hell out of the ball and still competes well, if audibly. But she no longer seems capable of stringing together seven matches. There's too often a dud performance in there. An awfully nice chance here and a reasonable draw, but we're not feeling it. (And an intriguing first-round opponent: Anna Chakvetadze.)
6. Francesca Schiavone: You root for Schiavone. You admire a player who competes with passion, who meets the moments, who comes on strong late in her career, who says things like this (http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/862235-francesca-schiavone-pre-tennis-sex-is-fantastic). But she ain't winning Wimbledon.
7. Serena Williams: We're picking the defending champ to defend again. She's rusty and lacks for match play? True. She's also Serena Williams, who's made a career out of dramatic disappearances and reappearances. Especially on grass. Especially with a day off between matches. (Though note the potentially tough first-round opponent in Aravene Rezai.)
8. Petra Kvitova: A semifinalist last year, she's emerged as a star on the make, a big lefty who lacks anything resembling finesse, but bludgeons the ball.
9. Marion Bartoli: Not only is she coming off a semifinal appearance in Paris but she's a former finalist at the All England. For all the talk of her quirks and eccentricities -- personal and professional -- we ought to be acknowledging her success.
10. Sam Stosur: If her self-belief were at all in keeping with her talent and athleticism, she'd be a real contender. But, unfortunately, she has yet to get over the yips. Her athleticism and net play bode well for success on grass. Her ornate groundstrokes, requiring time to set up, don't always translate well to fast surface. But really this is a mental battle.
11. Andrea Petkovic: Fraulein Fun is continuing her steady ascent. May not be champion material quite yet, but she's week two material for sure.
12. Svetlana Kuznetsova: Such a mystery as a player. Loads of talent and athleticism. A genial and easygoing personality that suggests a calm self-awareness. And yet she is prone to chronic underachievement, not least at the All England where she's never been beyond the quarters.
13. Agnieszka Radwanska: Have a heightened fondness and empathy for A-Rad after reading accounts like this (http://www.thenews.pl/1/5/Artykul/25168,Father-furious-after-Radwanska-crashes-out-of-French-Open). As ever, had she been born in another era, she'd be a champ. But her game and physique and ill-suited for these Luxilon times.
14. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova: "Scrabble" as Brad Gilbertowiczenkovilli so delicately calls her, still hasn't had that breakthrough event. But her progress has been steady.
15. Jelena Jankovic: Sadly, all the vectors are pointing in the wrong direction.
16. Julia Goerges: A big hitter who's made immense strides lately. Not unlike the female Milos Raonic, you wish there were more a track record, especially on grass, but a player to watch nonetheless
Seeds 17-32

17. Kaia Kanepi: Rolling Estonian tends to post strong Slam results.
18. Ana Ivanovic: A long way from her 2008 form and her play at majors has been particularly shaky. But she still is a former No. 1.
24. Venus Williams: Seeding be damned, she's a top-five contender, especially given her generally encouraging play at Eastbourne.
25. Daniela Hantuchova: A fragile player but one who's found her game of late.
32. Tsvetana Pironkova: Semifinalist last year.
Dark-horse nation

Sabine Lisicki: German won Birmingham grasscourt tune-up and, now healthy, is a good 50 slots better than her ranking indicates.
Virginie Razzano: Not because she'll win, but because she could the support.
Jelena Dokic: Played well in the tune-up and is former semifinalist, albeit in 1973 or thereabouts.
First-round matches to watch

Lucie Safarova v. Lucie Hradecka: The Charlie Brown Special.
Ivanovic v. Melanie Oudin: A player in need of a win will get one.
Aravene Rezai v. Serena Williams: Hard to imagine Serena not pulling through, but here's one opponent who will not be cowed.
Schiavone v. Dokic: You root for both players, if for very different reasons.
Blue-plate upset special

None
Doubles winners

Huber and Raymond: Experience rules.
Semifinals

Serena def. Sharapova
Zvonareva def. Total Surprise (Petkovic?)
Champion

Serena

NeeemZ
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I'm surprised he didn't go with anyone as an upset special. Dokic over Schiavone would've been the most obvious choice seeing how Schiavone isn't the greatest grass court player and Dokic's unpredictability as she did beat Franny earlier this year.

ElusiveChanteuse
intriguing first-round opponent: Anna Chakvetadze :spit:
Razzano being mentioned :scratch:

Blue-plate upset special: MJMS d. JJ :hearts:

sluggahjells
Vera??????

SIGH

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:55 PM
not a mention of the Bondarenko sisters :hug:

Root
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Serena is not defending her title then.

NA-GOAT
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Rezai as a tough opponent :spit:

Serena :bigwave:

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Has Wertheim even seen Rezai as of late.

She's always hated grass, and she is a shell of what she was in early May 2010 in that magical week in Madrid. She can be dangerous, but not on her form.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Urgh, the worthless curse

Smitten
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:00 PM
He didn't reach as much as he normally does.

The Dokic shade. :lol:

Sarin. :bigcry:

miffedmax
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Much more optimistic about Vika's chances now.

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Doesn't even mention Peng Shuai, SIGH, Jon just isn't worth the read anymore.

And Wozniakci has proven her credentials. He acts like Wozniacki hasn't done well at a major, LOL.

mn73
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Rezai lost to Baltacha at Eastbourne, only winning a handful of games! And Huber/Raymond for the doubles title - they haven't exactly set the world on fire since re-teaming.

Alejandrawrrr
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:22 PM
:facepalm: Fucking Werthless :facepalm: :facepalm:

He didn't mention Vee even making the semis, at least.

Break My Rapture
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM
8. Petra Kvitova: A semifinalist last year, she's emerged as a star on the make, a big lefty who lacks anything resembling finesse, but bludgeons the ball.

No, just no. :o Kvitova DOES have finesse, really good net skills.

And the way he called Anna "an intriguing first round opponent" makes me think he has no idea what has been going on with her health these past months.

But the worst of all, he suggests Petkovic as a semifinalist. :o MY GOD.

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Zvonareva defeats a total surprise while Serena wins the other SF happened last year.
I doubt that will happen 2 years in a row

Temperenka
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:54 PM
This isn't actually as bad as usual.

Serena is damned though :lol:

melodynelson
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Zvonareva defeats a total surprise while Serena wins the other SF happened last year.
I doubt that will happen 2 years in a row

Moi non plus. Zvonareva isn't going to make consecutive Wimbledon finals.

It isn't a bad read, though I never found what it is that is so bad about Wertheim, he picks who he thinks win and happens to be wrong. Is it any different from us? Why do people hate him so much here?

SVK
Jun 17th, 2011, 04:57 PM
But the worst of all, he suggests Petkovic as a semifinalist. :o MY GOD.

Isnīt he the one who predicted Mattek Sands as semifinalist of RG?:p Or it was someone else? There were many fail predictions...

C. W. Fields
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:07 PM
1. Caroline Wozniacki: For her sake, and for the sake of staving off the inevitable what's-up-with-the-WTA? critiques, you hope she gives a strong accounting of herself. Especially after her Paris debacle. Especially after she just played an indoor hard-court event in Copenhagen last week, fueling the charge that she racks up points at lesser events. Her defensive game and modest serve isn't ideal for grass. But looking at her draw, it's hard to envision her falling before the middle weekend. After that, who knows? A likely quarterfinal against Sharapova should tell us a lot.

Oh yes, she racked up a total of ZERO extra ranking points by winning Copenhagen! You'd think a tennis reporter would know that. Did he expect Caro to NOT play her home tournament when e-Boks is a main sponsor of hers?

Isnīt he the one who predicted Mattek Sands as semifinalist of RG?:p Or it was someone else? There were many fail predictions...

Petkovic reching SF isn't completely impossible, actually. She has a pretty easy draw until QF.

earthcrystal
Jun 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Oh yes, she racked up a total of ZERO extra ranking points by winning Copenhagen! You'd think a tennis reporter would know that. Did he expect Caro to NOT play her home tournament when e-Boks is a main sponsor of hers?

While I agree he's sometimes a tool, for you to suggest a player gets ZERO points from a win is a tad silly. Yes, currently she's got other, better results as her top 16. But she has banked those points, if you will. Just one or two 1st/2nd round losses and that 280 is suddenly a decent counting tourney that keeps her ranking up. Unless you personally watch/monitor ranking points (I do, for top players) this may not seem readily apparent.

Petkovic reching SF isn't completely impossible, actually. She has a pretty easy draw until QF.

Thankfully. (And she's got game). :)

Break My Rapture
Jun 17th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Yes, he is. Damn he's like a magnet for fail predictions.

C. W. Fields
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:02 PM
While I agree he's sometimes a tool, for you to suggest a player gets ZERO points from a win is a tad silly. Yes, currently she's got other, better results as her top 16. But she has banked those points, if you will. Just one or two 1st/2nd round losses and that 280 is suddenly a decent counting tourney that keeps her ranking up. Unless you personally watch/monitor ranking points (I do, for top players) this may not seem readily apparent.

I do, too, and I'd be surprised if the 280 points come into play unless Caro gets injured.

pav
Jun 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I don't like getting into predictions much, but the bugger has doomed any chance Bepa has of defending her points:sad: and a bit rough saying Petra has no finness, but gets buggers going I suppose!

sluggahjells
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:08 PM

The usually great (and still is) Steve Tignor at Tennis.com picked Lady Gaga of tennis for the semifinals too at RG.

Mistress of Evil
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM
and there goes the chance of Renochka winning it 3 times in a row :crying2:

Bismarck.
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:03 PM
It pisses me off beyond belief he is paid to write such unbelievably tedious and unenlightened reports.

danieln1
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Rezai as a tough opponent :spit:

Serena :bigwave:

NOOOOOOOOO Serena will not defend her title then, his kiss of death never fails....

NA-GOAT, this means Na will either beat her or reach semi without facing Serena :haha:

azinna
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Whew. Glad to see Venus' chances are still high.

Corswandt
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM
This isn't actually as bad as usual.

No, it isn't. There's still a few howlers, but not as many as in previous editions. I suspect he got this reviewed by someone who actually knows something about women's tennis.

It isn't a bad read, though I never found what it is that is so bad about Wertheim, he picks who he thinks win and happens to be wrong. Is it any different from us? Why do people hate him so much here?

I for one have noticed that he obviously has never seen play most of the #15-50 range players he mentions, not even once.

Hurley
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I for one have noticed that he obviously has never seen play most of the #15-50 range players he mentions, not even once.

Do you mean Dulgheru is not The Best Player I've Never Heard Of? :tears:

Marlene
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:50 AM

I remember last year when Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez won Rome and then lost in the 1st round of the French Open - Wertheim's extremely insightful comment was "what happened?!". Well, what happened was that MJMS was injured... which would have been beyond obvious if you'd actually seen the match! But Wertheim couldn't even be bothered to Google the result; he just saw the score and threw in a cheap comment. And this is pretty much like his comment on Wozniacki raking up points at Copenhagen - a decent tennis reporter would have checked what the Copenhagen points did for Wozniacki's ranking; Wertheim, however, seems to care more about a quick retort than about facts.

earthcrystal
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:47 AM
I do, too, and I'd be surprised if the 280 points come into play unless Caro gets injured.

Fair enough. Let's agree to disagree on this small point, shall we?

(FTR, while I'm not a huge Caro fan, I'm also not a detractor.)

BepaMaria
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Luckily he didn't jinx Sharapova. Her chances are still high:cheer:

KarlyM*
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:30 AM
After reading through this, I wonder if Wertheim even watches ANY women's tennis! :rolleyes:

C. W. Fields
Jun 18th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I remember last year when Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez won Rome and then lost in the 1st round of the French Open - Wertheim's extremely insightful comment was "what happened?!". Well, what happened was that MJMS was injured... which would have been beyond obvious if you'd actually seen the match! But Wertheim couldn't even be bothered to Google the result; he just saw the score and threw in a cheap comment. And this is pretty much like his comment on Wozniacki raking up points at Copenhagen - a decent tennis reporter would have checked what the Copenhagen points did for Wozniacki's ranking; Wertheim, however, seems to care more about a quick retort than about facts.

I agree what you say about Wertheim but somehow you managed to attach a quote to your post that wasn't mine but Corswandt's!? ;)

Marlene
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:37 AM
@ C.W.Fields: Oops. Sorry. No idea. Need Coffee. (Yes, capitalised.)

Chrissie-fan
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Here are someone else's thoughts...

http://tennis.com/articles/templates/features.aspx?articleid=12668&zoneid=9

adner
Jun 18th, 2011, 08:54 AM
No, just no. :o Kvitova DOES have finesse, really good net skills.

Netplay =/= Finesse. You can play well at net but have no finesse(such as all those ballbashers unable to hit classical volley finishing all the points with a powerful drive volley).

Break My Rapture
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Netplay =/= Finesse. You can play well at net but have no finesse(such as all those ballbashers unable to hit classical volley finishing all the points with a powerful drive volley).
To pull off some of the drop volleys and in general traditional volleys she displayed at Wimbledon last year, you really need to have finesse.

rucolo
Jun 19th, 2011, 09:39 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_wertheim/06/17/wimbledon.womens.seed.report/index.html

Semifinals

Serena def. Sharapova
Zvonareva def. Total Surprise (Petkovic?)

http://i37.tinypic.com/erfjns.gif

Frontin
Jun 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM
A lot of "experts" just pick the year before's finalists.

Urgh.