PDA

View Full Version : Your personal though on these GOATs

Navratil
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:29 PM
These 14 players are the most successful players of the open era. All former world # 1 and multiple Grand Slam champions.

Who's your favorite and why? What is your opinion on each of these players? Do you like the player's style and attitude or personality?

:bounce:

All time greats (open era)

Evert
One of the most successful players ever. But way before my time ;) I only know her matches from ESPN classics. Quite modern tennis for the late 70ties but nothing really special today. Way to her success was consistency and mental strength. Can’t say more about her.

Navratilova
Biggest talent in sport ever , so ambitious, great and brave character but mentally kinda fragile esp at the end of her career. Not so powerful but remember she learned tennis with wooden rackets 50 years ago. But even for today’s standards: The almost perfect technique :D

Graf
Always great to watch. The biggest dominator ;) Great athlete combined with so much elegance. Very unique technique but esp on the serve not so effective. Always loved to watch her. A very shy but such a nice person!

Seles
Such a tough biography (war in YUG, the stabbing in Hamburg 1993, her farher’s illness) but still a great fighter. Most impressive comeback ever 1995/1996 but then she struggled because she never got to that fitness level. Very unique player with an odd technique.

Sanchez-Vicario
Nice person and great attitude on court. Great fighter and mentally one of the strongest players ever. Never really liked her game but you got to admit she was very effective. Lot of variaty and touch. Not powerful enough but fantastic movement. Should have stopped her career much earlier ;) The end was painful to watch...

Capriati
What a career! Her story’s just like a Hollywood movie. The sensationell teenage years, the struggle and the late comeback and success. Great technique. No weakness. But for most of her career not consistent enough. I can remember some awesome Capriati matches but I never loved her style.

Hingis
Such a talent when she was very young but she never improved her game. Great hands and a very complete game but her serve is probably the weakest of all top women. Didn’t like her game so much cause it was not powerful enough.

Davenport
Techniquly probably the best player ever. What a clean hitting from both sides. But could have done more with her serve with her height. She improved her fitness level a lot but she was still hard too watch in the defense ;) But when her game was on – it was alway a joy to watch.

Venus Williams
Probably the most spectacular hitter ever. She and Serena brought women’s tennis to another level. First women to serve over 200 km/h! Doesn’t have a B-game but she can dominate the matches like no one else. Great champion and attitude.

Serena Williams
I always prefered her sister watching because Venus’ hitting is more spectacular. Sometimes Serena’s movement looks a little odd, maybe she’s too athletic ;) But Serena’s has always been a great champion. Such a self confidence! Mentally probably one of the strongest female players in history!

Clijsters
Probably one of the nicest persons on tour ever. I think everybody loves her. Me too though I never loved her game that much. Nothing really special. But no weakness on the other side. Some great matches and what a sensationel comeback!

Henin
Her technique has never been that fluent and natural as Mauresmo’s but what a power and accuracy. Looked so much in control of everything at her prime. A very special player and very important for the good reputation of the WTA at the beginning of the new century. Imagine Henin with 6 foot sth :D

Mauresmo
My favorite player. What a technique! So round and fluent. Yes, she was not going forward enough but I have never seen such a natural swing in women’s tennis. She gave me hard times with her mental weakness (esp at Roland Garros) but I will never forget her great moments (esp winning Wimbledon 2006).

Sharapova
As Venus, she is one of the most spectacular hitters. Always great to watch. So many “aahhs” and “oohs” in the crowd when she is playing. Such a struggle after her shoulder injury but she seems on her way back. Best player on tou 2011. What I admire most is her fighting spirit. She never gives up – not even on a bad day. Even 0:6 0:5 down (Roland Garros quarterfinal 2009 vs Cibulkova) she’s still believing in herself and fighting! Great champion!

Italian power
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Where is GOATmila? :shrug:

miffedmax
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Actually, Navratilova was known more for being mentally fragile early in her career, as well as not being in very good condition. Still my second-favorite player of all-time just because of the way she was able to turn things around. Plus she lived in Dallas for a major part of her career and was actually a funny player in her prime. I hate to admit she's gotten a little overprotective of her legacy, but even when she runs her mouth at least she's interesting unlike so many commentators who manage to be banal yet offensive at the same time.

Venus is still one of my favorites. Just always very classy and business like. It's fun when she lets her sly sense of humor show through. One of the best servers and movers ever in the women's game IMHO.

TOB still hasn't found her pre-injury form. The power and accuracy of her groundstrokes when she is at her best make her almost unbeatable. It would be great for the WTA if she could rediscover that early career form and start painting the lines again.

For all their greatness, though, none of these players drove me to such deranged fanaticism as that bangless, serveless, slamless, Muscovite.

Adrian.
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:18 PM

:haha::haha::haha:

Olórin
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Did you miss off Court and King deliberately? :lol:

Smitten
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Where are the slamless #1s :bigcry: But they got #1 :bigcry: No one can take that away from them. :bigcry: They deserve it :bigcry:

FORZA SARITA
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:36 PM

i knew it :rolls:

Navratil
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Did you miss off Court and King deliberately? :lol:

They both have never been # 1 since the computer ranking system was founded.

eck
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:22 PM

Who?

Madoka
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:25 PM
yee.

GOATmila must be in the list :D

Shepster
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Who's your favorite and why?
Hingisova: her winning Wimbledon girls it was ridiculous how good she was, and she was such a breath of fresh air.

What is your opinion on each of these players? Do you like the player's style and attitude or personality?
Evert I liked. My family always used to cheer for her over Martina because it was "boring" that Martina won Wimbledon all the time, so I didn't have much choice. Martina I didn't dislike though, she was just so damn good - it was moving when she left Wimbledon for the "last" time and took a piece of the court.

Graf I really liked, especially in comparison with Sampras who was uber-boring and someone you'd auto-cheer for the opponent. Seles I wasn't really a fan of, thought the grunting was insane back then - the amount of people I've been more happy about winning a slam in comparison with her post-stabbing I can count on one hand though. ASV was an auto-cheer against type, wasn't a fan of her game at all.

J-Cap is probably the only person I didn't mind beating Hingisova in a slam final - brilliant story. Martina II? The best to watch, especially against a ball-basher, and the female equivalent of McEnroe in that "the best doubles partnership is them and anyone". Funny as hell too, needling Davenport by asking "Do you want me to serve or break you?" after winning the toss :spit::worship::hearts:.

Lindsay I loved the ball striking and was very pleased when she won Wimbledon, but I couldn't claim that she was ever one of my faves. Venus I love it when she puts people in their place with insane beatdowns (e.g. Sharapova and Kuzzy at Wimbledon '07 :worship:) but I don't like her screaming, nor her post-match comments (which her usual thing is "If I played x% better, I'd have won :help:). Serena has beaten Hingis and Dani too many times in slams for me to love her, but her 07 Aussie run was one of my favourite slams, the "impossible" slam. Can't stand her on court or in the press room though (such an amazing lack of sportsmanship).

Kim, she's a lovely woman but I never got enthused by her game. Henin I hated the Allez-ing UEs all the time, and the on-court coaching, but she was the standard for a number of years and I do wish she had a career slam because she had the talent to merit it. Amelie similar to Kim, lovely person, but I only liked her game on a grass court. Wish she was still around though. Sharapova, second to Serena is the person from this century I'd want playing for my life because of the effort. Don't like her demeanour on court or off, but I loved her Wimbledon run back in 04, even though she beat my fave. Hard to imagine that happening now.

spencercarlos
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:54 PM
These 14 players are the most successful players of the open era. All former world # 1 and multiple Grand Slam champions.

Who's your favorite and why? What is your opinion on each of these players? Do you like the player's style and attitude or personality?

My comments about yours.
Graf
the serve not so effective.???? Ask Navratilova, Arantxa, Seles and the players that faced Steffi at her peak, her serve was on the best in womens tennis at her time.

Sanchez-Vicario
Nice person and great attitude on court??? From the on court antics Arantxa was considered one of the meanest players out there. She actually was not the player that threw up rackets, but she questiones calls all over the place trying to influence umpires, and she would employ any tactic in order to win a match, (i don´t blame her for that) and ended up in the end of booing (French Open) and some little fights with players (Novotna)

Hingis
she never improved her game. ??? Hingis actually improved tons from the end of 2000 to the start of 2001, she became more powerful (bar her serve with her obvious limitations). She simply was not phisically up to the par with the Williamses.

Davenport
But could have done more with her serve with her height??? Davenport had a strong serve, in fact was one of her main weapons IMO.

Venus Williams
Probably the most spectacular hitter ever.??? I would have said this same thing about the previous player (Davenport). Venus is impressive from the muscular outright going for broke hitting, but she is not the most spectacular IMO. Her tecnique style is not the most spectacular either. Venus´s greatest assests is her gazzele movement and her ability to turn around defesive positions into outright winners. N

Serena Williams
I always prefered her sister watching because Venus’ hitting is more spectacular.???? Not really the main difference between Venus and Serena is the tecnique. Serena breaks down Venus´s tecnique like no one else. Plus Serena is an all court champion. For me the greatest hitter, from the baseline.

Clijsters
Nothing really special.???? Well that sums it all. Clijsters movement and splits were/are special. She is probably the only player on tour that could go toe to toe with BOTH of the William sisters in hard hitting battles from the baseline.

Navratil
Jun 20th, 2011, 08:01 AM
My comments about yours.
Graf
the serve not so effective.???? Ask Navratilova, Arantxa, Seles and the players that faced Steffi at her peak, her serve was on the best in womens tennis at her time.

Sanchez-Vicario
Nice person and great attitude on court??? From the on court antics Arantxa was considered one of the meanest players out there. She actually was not the player that threw up rackets, but she questiones calls all over the place trying to influence umpires, and she would employ any tactic in order to win a match, (i don´t blame her for that) and ended up in the end of booing (French Open) and some little fights with players (Novotna)

Hingis
she never improved her game. ??? Hingis actually improved tons from the end of 2000 to the start of 2001, she became more powerful (bar her serve with her obvious limitations). She simply was not phisically up to the par with the Williamses.

Davenport
But could have done more with her serve with her height??? Davenport had a strong serve, in fact was one of her main weapons IMO.

Venus Williams
Probably the most spectacular hitter ever.??? I would have said this same thing about the previous player (Davenport). Venus is impressive from the muscular outright going for broke hitting, but she is not the most spectacular IMO. Her tecnique style is not the most spectacular either. Venus´s greatest assests is her gazzele movement and her ability to turn around defesive positions into outright winners. N

Serena Williams
I always prefered her sister watching because Venus’ hitting is more spectacular.???? Not really the main difference between Venus and Serena is the tecnique. Serena breaks down Venus´s tecnique like no one else. Plus Serena is an all court champion. For me the greatest hitter, from the baseline.

Clijsters
Nothing really special.???? Well that sums it all. Clijsters movement and splits were/are special. She is probably the only player on tour that could go toe to toe with BOTH of the William sisters in hard hitting battles from the baseline.

It's obvious that Steffi was very successful with her serve and that it was one of her main weapons. But the technique was not that effective, she could have done more with the serve. (I know these are complaints on a very very high level) ;)

Same with Davenport. One of the best serves ever - but still! She could have been better cause she wasn't on full stretch. She prefered serving consistently than hammering 200-km-/h-serves in. But I wonder if she was able to serve like 200 km/h in the drills ;)

And although Sanchez was famous for questioning calls on clay, she was still very popular because of her attitude. She was such a great fighter and very emotional and extrovert. That's why people liked her in Germany.

bandabou
Jun 20th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Graf: miss forehand! A bit before my time, but great players..very fast and an unique game.

Evert: consistency. Her biggest claim for GOAT. Never lost to players she wasn't supposed to lose to.
Navratilova: S&V and ushered new era of athletiscism.

Seles: What could've been?!

Capriati: Age eligibility rules. Her come-back saved what would've been one of the most dissapointing careers ever.

Davenport: technique. If you wanna learn how to hit groundstrokes? Watch ms Davenport.

Hingis: Child-genius.

Venus: unlimited reach on the court.

Serena: GOAT serve and clutch performer.

Clijsters: split! :eek:

Henin: drive.

Mauresmo: flair.